Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #10-20 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 10, Number 20 Wednesday, 23 September 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: new music non-TMBG:other bands TMBG: other bands, other albums Re: TMBG: other bands, other albums Re: Non-TMBG: the Posies, was "Re: TMBG: new music" Re: Non-TMBG: the Posies, was "Re: TMBG: new music" Re: non-TMBG: Swingers Re: TMBG: new music TMBG: The Box info TMBG: Exquisite Dead Guy Live Re: TMBG: Exquisite Dead Guy Live TMBG: Odeon Re: TMBG: Odeon Re: TMBG: MTV sucks + 93.7 the Coast Re: TMBG: other bands, other albums Re: TMBG: other bands, other albums Re: TMBG: Odeon Re: TMBG: other bands, other albums Re: TMBG: other bands, other albums Re: TMBG: MTV sucks + 93.7 the Coast Re: TMBG: May bad luck and misfortune infest your pathetic Re: TMBG: Bands YOU should like (at least I do) Re: TMBG: other bands, other albums Re: TMBG: Story Re: TMBG: Bands YOU should like (at least I do) Re: TMBG: other bands, other albums Re: TMBG: MTV sucks Re: TMBG: Bands YOU should like (at least I do) Re: TMBG: Exquisite Dead Guy Live Re: TMBG: Bands YOU should like (at least I do) Re: TMBG: Bands YOU should like (at least I do) Re: TMBG: Bands YOU should like (at least I do) Re: TMBG: Bands YOU should like (at least I do) Re: TMBG: Bands YOU should like (at least I do) Re: NON-TMBG: Bands YOU should like (at least I do) Re: TMBG: new music TMBG: Houston Show... not really a review Re: TMBG: new music Re: TMBG: new music Re: TMBG: new music Re: TMBG: May bad luck and misfortune infest your pathetic soul for all eter Re: TMBG: Bands YOU should like (at least I do) Re:TMBG: Houston show... not really a review Re: TMBG: Bands YOU should like (at least I do) NON TMBG: other bands, and albums Re: TMBG: Bands YOU should like (at least I do) Re: TMBG: Bands YOU should like (at least I do) Re: TMBG: Houston Show... not really a review Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 18:02:49 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: TMBG: new music Message-ID: here's an actual new music post. cds I like. Death Rides a Pale Cow, the ultimate compilation-the Dead Milkmen. featuring some old-time greats such as Punk Rock Girl, The Thing that Only Eats Hippies, and Takin' Retards to the Zoo. Metaphysical Grafitti- The Dead Milkmen. Let's face it, as an individual album, this is one of the greatest of all time. God Fodder- Ned's Atomic Dustbin no name band that I found in the free basket. These guys kick ass, with such songs as Kill Your Television. The Lonesome Crowded West- Modest Mouse for those of you who like loud head-banging music. Success- The Posies. a great album from a great band, also the album "Amazing Disgrace" is, well, Amazing. Sciophonic- Combustible Edison swingy elevator music. I-swinger- Combustible Edison same Fashion Nuggett- Cake Anytime a band does a cover of I Will Survive, it's gotta be good. that's it. Cap'n Helfgott ------------------------------ From: ErgoTM@aol.com Message-ID: <23ff7994.360718ce@aol.com> Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 23:26:06 EDT Subject: non-TMBG:other bands I would recommend Treasure by the Cocteau Twins, it is not very tmbgish but I like it Jeff "I'm tired, so just imagine something mildly amusing here" Craig ------------------------------ From: SLFFV@cc.usu.edu Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 21:47:23 -0700 (MST) Subject: TMBG: other bands, other albums Message-id: <01J22ZS96IKY9EFIA9@cc.usu.edu> BAnds/musicians that I really like besides TMBG are the following (some aren't very TMBG-ish either, but as Jeff put it, "But I like it", and you don't need any more reason than that Howard Jones-People: A fabulous **NEW** album; the song Tomorrow Is Now was cowritten with Jane Wiedlin from the Go Go, and the song Everything has Stewart Copeland from the Police on drums-very cool! Moonpools & Caterpillars Theses guys are awesome, but they just recently broke up , so you won't be able to get their newest album called 12 Songs. It was sold at their very last show (they opened for Howard Jones in July in SLC), so I snagged it because I really liked the new stuff they played and they said it would never be released....One of my favorite songs is called "Polyester"...it goes something like this:"I took out the polyester shirt/you gave me last Christmas/even though it fits me pretty good/I really don't like it" Kate Bush-she hasn't had anything new for a few years, but she has a really fab voice! She's done a few songs with Peter Gabriel (Don't Give Up) its on some movie soundtrack. ANother song that's on a soundtrack is "This Woman's Work"-it can be found on "She's Having A BAby" sndtrk. It's the one where she's giving birth.. B-52's: Time Capsule This one just sort of has all their old stuff on it, but there are two new songs on there that are good too, although I think I like some of their older stuff better (but not all of the super old stuff- mostly everything in the middle) Anything Swing_Brian Setzer Orchestra, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Cherry Poppin' Daddies, Squirrel Nut Zippers, Royal Crown Revue...can't say that I have all those CD's yet, but I do plan on getting them once I get more $$$$$$! Others: Nick Heyward, Cranberries, Sting/Police,Depeche Mode,U2, REM(they have a new album due out in mid-october),Thompson Twins, OMD, Pet Shop Boys, Tears For Fears...I could go on & on None are really TMBG-ish, but what other musicians are? TMBG really is in a class of their own (although still alternative)-I've heard them be described as "Smart Pop"-what exactly is that anyway? ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 21:57:45 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: other bands, other albums Message-ID: <19980921.215749.9326.5.TMBgirl@juno.com> >Anything Swing_Brian Setzer Orchestra, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Cherry >Poppin' >Daddies, Squirrel Nut Zippers, Royal Crown Revue...can't say that I >have >all those CD's yet, but I do plan on getting them once I get more >$$$$$$! i have at least one CD by each of those bands (sometimes more). Heh, i member a couple years back when the list was talking about SNZ non-stop, and then they got popular... and everyone just stopped. The same thing happened with BF5 i think, and even more so BNL... like if this thread came up 2 years ago 90% of the people would mention BNL but now that they're popular it's like no one even needs to mention them. >-I've heard them be >described >as "Smart Pop"-what exactly is that anyway? i've also heard them be described as "quirky." it doesn't mean shabooty. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 21:55:53 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: the Posies, was "Re: TMBG: new music" Message-ID: see, here's the thing. They played there last show, until they produce another album, they live in Seattle, and no, it won't be very hard. Do you know how many "last" Posies shows ther have been in this decade? ------------------------------ From: PULPSTRESS@aol.com Message-ID: <14c7b81.36072ffa@aol.com> Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 01:04:58 EDT Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: the Posies, was "Re: TMBG: new music" In a message dated 98-09-22 00:59:09 EDT, helfgott@cc.wwu.edu writes: << Do you know how many "last" Posies shows ther have been in this decade? >> Probably as many "last times Phil Daniels will ever sing Parklife with us" there've been at Blur concerts in the UK ;) cheese! jennifer (who WILL make a formal intro.. i will i will i will!!!!!!! eventually....) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 03:22:10 -0500 (CDT) From: bill tatalovich Subject: Re: non-TMBG: Swingers Message-ID: On Mon, 21 Sep 1998, Anon Y Mous wrote: > >I already had it... but if I didn't, I would've bought it right then! > >I DID buy Swingers (the movie) and Teleconned vol. 1 which I recommend > > I don't see how that movie got to be so popular. It says it's a comedy, > but it's not funny at all. > I think I remember ALMOST laughing once, when? I don't remember. But it > was soooo slow. I admit that Swingers is really slow, and sort of dumb, but you have to appreciate any movie with lines like "Hey, I'm going to make Gretzky's head bleed!" (that entire hockey scene is funny as all hell). Then again, I really don't know what I'm talking about. I'm not sure who wrote the original quote above (not the one from Anon Y Mous, the one he quoted), but that's the first mention of the Teleconned album I've ever heard. It's a decent compilation, I guess...those wacky folks from Low, covering "Blue Eyed Devil" (yes, the Soul Coughing song). Okay, expect another post from me. The Rev |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| | Reverend Bill Tatalovich | Home page: | | | http://students.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/ | | wt3@cec.wustl.edu |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ | personnel@kwur.wustl.edu | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 03:30:33 -0500 (CDT) From: bill tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: new music Message-ID: On Mon, 21 Sep 1998, leonard helfgott wrote: > God Fodder- Ned's Atomic Dustbin > no name band that I found in the free basket. These guys kick > ass, with such songs as Kill Your Television. What're you talking about, Senor Helfgott? Ned's Atomic Dustbin wasn't exactly a "no name band." If I recall correctly, their video for "Grey Cell Green" (which is on God Fodder) was the very first Buzz Clip on MTV, back when being a Buzz Clip meant something. I will admit, however, that NAD (I just love abbreviating their name) went horribly downhill after that album. _Are You Normal?_ and _Bloodbrainvolume_ are, well, horrible in comparison. Let's just say I'm not kicking myself that they broke up...although _God Fodder_ is a great album. > The Lonesome Crowded West- Modest Mouse > for those of you who like loud head-banging music. Good choice, my man. Good choice. I wouldn't call it head-banging, but whatever (and remind me to stop nitpicking everything you say, Leonard...I don't mean to do it, honest). > Success- The Posies. > a great album from a great band, also the album "Amazing Disgrace" > is, well, Amazing. Again, good choice. For those of you who are thinking that 1998 is a bad year for new music, pick this album up. It's really great....the best Posies album I've ever heard. Someone else wrote (in regards to good albums): > Others: Nick Heyward [snip rest] YES!! I know I'm stealing Sara's line here, but even though I don't know you (whoever you are...), I love you. And damn it, have you people bought the Belle and Sebastian album yet? You haven't? Why not?!?! I'm serious here folks...they're amazing. Folky "homo-core" (a term coined by the music director of my radio station) from Britain...you can't go wrong. Okay, enough out of me. The Rev |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| | Reverend Bill Tatalovich | Home page: | | | http://students.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/ | | wt3@cec.wustl.edu |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ | personnel@kwur.wustl.edu | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 21:26:18 -0600 Subject: TMBG: The Box info Message-ID: <19980921.215201.9326.3.TMBgirl@juno.com> Allright... so i'm constantly being subbed (i fear writting the whole word) to random mailing lists (thanks steve, i love you too) but this is one (sonicboom?) i've just never gotten around to unsubbing from... anyways, i thought i'd forward this on since they seem to be playing the TMBG video. :) ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 8. Premiere of THE BOX's redesigned Website Go To: http://www.thebox.com Check out THE BOX Music Network's redesigned website on September 17. Many new features have been added such as streaming video previews, the ability to select videos online, and threaded discussion boards. Info on the world's top music videos and artists can always be found and added to by you at http://www.thebox.com oh and with all this talk of the Dead Milkmen... my buds used to call me Punk Rock Girl back in the day (heh, this had to have been at least a few years ago) :P take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 08:40:47 -0400 (EDT) From: "Jason A. Glastetter" Subject: TMBG: Exquisite Dead Guy Live Message-ID: They don't take it right off the CD (at least not when I saw it) because on the CD there is strings during "Exquisite Dead Guy, rotating in his display case..." while live they used the velcro horns. So, at least they used to do it live... jason"too many jasons. I should be bob" glastetter Surprisingly we got electricity, & the next day we got conected to the web http://www.poingly.com because some music sucks more than others... ------------------------------ From: Kreadoubt@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 13:55:44 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Exquisite Dead Guy Live In a message dated 9/22/98 5:42:08 AM Pacific Daylight Time, jaglaste@mailbox.syr.edu writes: << rotating in his display case..." while live they used the velcro horns. So, at least they used to do it live... >> I seem to remember Mr. Hickey on Drums as well......Live of course....better live than Dead..... JF "He's Got a taste for..." JL "Heh...That's IT! I'm starting the song NOW...1...2....3....4...." ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980922153055.00910960@EMail.Psu.Edu> Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 15:30:55 -0400 From: Jason Fickley Subject: TMBG: Odeon Can someone with knowledge of the Cleveland area either hook me up with directions or give me the address of the Odeon so I can look it up on Yahoo! myself? >jason"too many jasons. I should be bob" glastetter I'll be J'son if it helps. --J'son-- ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 14:38:49 -0500 From: One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces Subject: Re: TMBG: Odeon >>jason"too many jasons. I should be bob" glastetter > >I'll be J'son if it helps. > >--J'son-- I'll be Jamik if it helps or bob spelled diagnolly --Jamik-- ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 15:28:51 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: MTV sucks + 93.7 the Coast Message-ID: <19980922.153728.4582.2.Mr.Train@juno.com> On Mon, 21 Sep 1998 12:55:14 -0700 (MST) SLFFV@cc.usu.edu writes: <> > I don't think I've ever seen a hip-hop video on >there... >But perhaps we can get them to play TMBG on Pop-Up Video by calling >their "Inside Information LIne"-it's always at the very end of each show. I >don't have it offhand, but I'm sure if you watch it, you can write it down >fast enough or check out their website-it may be there too. Or, maybe we >can get them to interview them on one of their flashback type shows, like >"Then & Now" "Where Are They Now?" or "Before They Were Rock Stars"....... > I just had to share my vast knoledge of VH1 trivia: Blondie's "Rapture" is the only "rap" video currently in rotation... unless you wanna count "One Week" I think Pop Up Video's URL is http://www.spinthebottle.com (Spin the Bottle is the production co.) you might eb able to give them the inside info there.... but remember: VH1 skiped over TMBG when they did their big A-Z thing where they played every vid they had in order... it went from Third Eye Blind to something else... Also to all TMBG fans in Hampton Roads, VA... The Coast 93.7 WKOC now has Dr. Worm... just so you know.. y'see 96.1, the only station in my calling area listed in Jamie's article is now a top 40/R&B/Pop station... so their Sister station, the Coast, now has Dr. Worm... just wanted to update everyone in my area... 62-COAST is their number Tim, shares the same birthday as Debbie Harry (Blondies lead singer) not the same birthyear however... Debbie is my definitive 80's chick... I LOVE HER OK!?!?!?! OK!?!?!?! WANNA MAKE SOMETHING OF IT!?!??!?! HUH!!!!??!?!? PUNK!!!??!?!?! (sorry...) Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update: BLONDIE Last CD purchase: BLONDIE Favorite mainstream song: BLONDIE _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 15:36:18 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: other bands, other albums Message-ID: <19980922.154131.6414.0.gray42@juno.com> Here are some groups that I see as rarities, considering you can't find their music at the local Walmart. Pixies (Frank Black, John Flansburgh, also as I recall, one of Linnell's fav. groups) (as if any of this info is actually new to the list anyway) Might I suggest the album "Doolittle" Firehose (They split up a long long time ago, but their old music is quite fantastic, never heard a song of their's I didn't like, same goes for TMBG for that matter) Trotsky Icepick (as far as I can tell, only one other person on the list has ever heard of this group, or maybe I imagined it) now for the more common ones not yet mentioned Negativland, Tom Waites, Tori Amos, Bjork, Annie Lennox (three weird girls) 80's decade Sinead O' Conner (not her newer stuff, I'm talkin' 80's here), Talking Heads and Devo (of course), and yadda yadda yadda Mysterio Gal (who feels an overwhelming sense of Deja-voo) "Little David is all grown up. Too bad for the cause of Good!" --Negativland MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 14:45:36 -0600 (MDT) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: other bands, other albums Message-ID: On Tue, 22 Sep 1998 gray42@juno.com wrote: > Trotsky Icepick (as far as I can tell, only one other person on the list > has ever heard of this group, or maybe I imagined it) regardless of the quality of this group (i've not heard their stuff), i've just got to say that that's one of the sicker band names i've heard in a while... sick, sick, sick, sick, sick! ;) > now for the more common ones not yet mentioned > > Negativland, but claire! i mentioned dispepsi right at the beginning of this thread! other ones i left off my 'stuff i'm into' list because it was all just new stuff that i'd just bought: joni mitchell, martin carthy, steeleye span (haven't heard _time_ yet, though), oumou sangare, va"rttina", BILL EVANS, ashley macisaac, duke ellington, cannonball adderley, parliament... eh. i give up. there's no use trying to catalog this, i keep leaving people out. --jim kuemmerle, who'll mention dispepsi again now just in case anyone missed it... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ispdpeis, epsdipis, ppiissde... ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36080C91.D3D1281@cannet.com> Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 16:46:09 -0400 From: Mike Blaser Subject: Re: TMBG: Odeon Jason Fickley wrote: > > Can someone with knowledge of the Cleveland area either hook me up with > directions or give me the address of the Odeon so I can look it up on > Yahoo! myself? > > >jason"too many jasons. I should be bob" glastetter > > I'll be J'son if it helps. > > --J'son-- 1295 Old River Road Cleveland, OH 44113 ~Mike ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 17:09:34 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: other bands, other albums Message-ID: <19980922.171022.6414.1.gray42@juno.com> On Tue, 22 Sep 1998 14:45:36 -0600 (MDT) Jim Kuemmerle writes: >> >> Negativland, > >but claire! i mentioned dispepsi right at the beginning of this >thread! whoops my bad *aside* Oh list Gods John and John, please forgive my use of the terrible slang of which I have sworn not to use because I despise it so, and therefore am now a hypocrite. *to Jim* sorry I had been skimming the posts rather quickly, and should have been paying closer attention, wheeeeeeeeeeee <--must I need a reason for such a very fun word :P Oh, and about Trotsky Icepick, You think the names sick, read the names of some of their songs, heh heh. Anyway, the music is superb, and the lead singer has a most extraordinary nasally neat voice Mysterio Gal (who is currently watching Santa vs. Satan, the MST3K Christmas special *woooo hooo*) "Little David is all grown up. Too bad for the cause of Good!" --Negativland MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 >--jim kuemmerle, who'll mention dispepsi again now just in case anyone >missed it... > >j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu >http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ >ispdpeis, epsdipis, ppiissde... > > _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 15:28:32 -0600 (MDT) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: other bands, other albums Message-ID: On Tue, 22 Sep 1998 gray42@juno.com wrote: > *to Jim* sorry I had been skimming the posts rather quickly, and should > have been paying closer attention, well, in case you want to hear what i had to say about it: negativland, "dispepsi"... buy this album. stick it to the man. (i personally recommend listening to it in a dark room, with one speaker directly on your left, one speaker directly on your right, staring at the album cover, listening straight through from start to finish. after doing that, i then went and drank a blue sky grapefruit soda, made in santa fe, new mexico, sold with next to no advertising budget....) > wheeeeeeeeeeee <--must I need a reason for such a very fun word :P course not! (following suit:) quark! quark! quark! quark! quark! > Oh, and about Trotsky Icepick, You think the names sick, read the names > of some of their songs, heh heh. hmm... (JIM runs around the internet for a moment appeasing the search engine gods...) here we go: (ahem): - a little push at the top of the stairs - bury manilow - robitussin rag - yolanda won't you give me a job - this car is not blue - clowns on fire - you look like something goya drew wow... --jim kuemmerle, who feels like something seurat painted... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ispepsdi, eppissid, pispides... ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980922213807.22343.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "VoVat Quetzalcoatlus" Subject: Re: TMBG: MTV sucks + 93.7 the Coast Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 14:38:07 PDT mr.train@juno.com wrote: > I think Pop Up Video's URL is http://www.spinthebottle.com (Spin >the Bottle is the production co.) you might eb able to give them the >inside info there.... but remember: VH1 skiped over TMBG when they >did their big A-Z thing where they played every vid they had in >order... it went from Third Eye Blind to something else... Actually, that last part is irrelevant, since "They Might Be Giants" comes before "Third Eye Blind" in alphabetical order. -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 15:29:41 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: May bad luck and misfortune infest your pathetic Message-ID: <19980922.153001.3894.1.particle.man@juno.com> From: particle.man@juno.com (Anon Y Mous) >What? that was a really funny movie! What about the part when Sue >pulls the gun and everyone's says "what the f*ck?" "Didn't you see >Boyz in the Hood? Now one of us is gonna get shot!" >And when their in the diner and Trent makes a drunken foll out of >himself!! Neither funny nor original. A lunatic swinging a gun around has been in many movies, as well as drunk people. >Or when their playing video hockey and Trent unpauses the game to make >"Waynes head bleed for superfan number 99" This is why the movie bombed at the box office, because you need to have some kind of uncommon sense of humor to appreciate the movie obviously. > I think we can all relate to Mikey too! The guy just getting out of >a deep relationship with a girl he still cares about! > that movie holds so much truth, it's scary! Maybe you should watch it >again! Oh please! How many movies have you seen that had a guy who had a hard time getting over a girl or vice versa??? _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 15:22:56 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Bands YOU should like (at least I do) Message-ID: <19980922.153001.3894.0.particle.man@juno.com> From: particle.man@juno.com (Anon Y Mous) >-Beck_Mellow Gold or Odelay_ Odelay is one of my favorite albums of all time, but Mellow Gold sucks in my opinion (aside from Loser). Never heard of any other releases by him. >-Ben Folds Five_Ben Folds Five or Whatever and Ever Amen_ ugh, I don't get how this guy became so popular. Sure Brick is kind of catchy, but the rest of Whatever is painful to listen to. >-Bernie Bernie Headflap_Cheese on Wheat_ >-Fountains of Wayne_Fountains of Wayne_ >-Man or Astro-Man? _Destroy All Astro-Men!!, Experiment Zero, 100X, >Made from Technetium, etc._ >-Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet_anything by them_ heh, never heard of any of these >-Radiohead_OK Computer_ >What a great CD. You should all go get it if you don't yet have it. >All the songs on it are great, a real theme-album.Very odd, very >not-mainstream, & yet, they have gone platinum without a real hit >single. Goes to show word-of-mouth really works. umm, VERY mainstream. I don't know the name of them, but I hear their songs on the radio ALL the time. And I don't like them either :) >-Weezer_anything by them_ ehh...they have some good, bizzarre, songs, but aside from those few I havn't found anything worthwhile on their CDs. As for me: Primus - Sailing the Seas of Cheese, Pork Soda, Tales From The Punchbowl PRIMUS SUCKS! (their words, not mine). I like Primus exactly as much as TMBG. Primus is just when I need something a bit harder. Even if you've heard a couple songs before, GO BUY EITHER OF THOSE THREE ALBUMS!! Brown Album and Misc. Debris kinda suck. Frizzle Fry, Suck on This, and Rhinoplasty are ok, but nothing compared to the big 3. Metallica - Black Album All Metallica is good, but this one is a MUST. Enter Sandman and Sad But True kick all ass Stabbing Westward - Wither, Blister, Burn, and Peel Again, all SW is good, this is just their best. Soundgarden - Down On The Upside I've only heard this one and Superunknown, and this one is a lot better. While Super has only 2 really GREAT songs (Black Hole Sun and Spoonman), this one has LOTS :) Filter - Short Bus Again, the only CD (if there are more) that I've heard of theirs...I just got it last week and it's great. Nirvana - All CDs except Bleach and Incesticide If you DON'T know about them then ...well, duh :P That's all that comes to my mind right now _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980922214359.13632.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "VoVat Quetzalcoatlus" Subject: Re: TMBG: other bands, other albums Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 14:43:59 PDT gray42@juno.com wrote: >Here are some groups that I see as rarities, considering you can't >find their music at the local Walmart. If you've ever been able to find ANYTHING at the local Wal-Mart, it must be better than any Wal-Mart I've been into. -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980922180300.007b5800@pop.mindspring.com> Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 18:03:00 -0400 From: Ben Bradshaw Subject: Re: TMBG: Story >>that has nothing to do with what i am writing. i said TMBG names and song >>titles are words in the story >If you don't see the obvious TMBG-ness of the story, then I won't even try >to explain it. I know this is from a really old message, but I just had to say something. When I first started listening, I thought that every song was just a jumbled up bunch of lyrics that were rather odd. However, as I started reading more about Them, and reading Their lyrics, I couldn't help but notice that almost none of the songs are really that wacky. Just the manner in which they are told is wacky. The actual stories are normal every day situations. That's one of the reasons They are so great. They just have the craziest, and most intelligent ways of getting Their messages across. If I'm understanding what the person is trying to do correctly, they're gonna have one hard time writing a story. Ben "We all know about your serious-ass ass problems" Sifl and Olly ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 18:41:24 -0400 (EDT) From: Kevin Keeler Subject: Re: TMBG: Bands YOU should like (at least I do) Message-ID: On Tue, 22 Sep 1998, Anon Y Mous wrote: > >-Beck_Mellow Gold or Odelay_ > > Odelay is one of my favorite albums of all time, but Mellow Gold sucks in > my opinion (aside from Loser). > Never heard of any other releases by him. > > >-Ben Folds Five_Ben Folds Five or Whatever and Ever Amen_ > > ugh, I don't get how this guy became so popular. Sure Brick is kind of > catchy, but the rest > of Whatever is painful to listen to. heh..WaEA --in my opinion-- wore thin after a month or so. however, the first album has never ceased to make me shake my gr00ve thang. if you judge BFF by WaEA, you are doing them a grave injustice as they are *at least* as dissimilar as Lincoln and John Henry. > > heh, never heard of any of these > > >-Radiohead_OK Computer_ > >What a great CD. You should all go get it if you don't yet have it. > >All the songs on it are great, a real theme-album.Very odd, very > >not-mainstream, & yet, they have gone platinum without a real hit > >single. Goes to show word-of-mouth really works. > > umm, VERY mainstream. I don't know the name of them, but I hear their > songs on the radio ALL the time. > And I don't like them either :) alright..heres where the meat of my reply comes in. Now im going out on a limb here, but you seem to be taking the elitist "they are mainstream; i am too cool for that; they are bad" approach. first of all this is gay. second of all, taken in context with the rest of your post, this is _very_ gay (no offense to my homosexual brethren, of course). first! >Mellow Gold sucks in my opinion (aside from Loser) can you get any more mainstream than "loser"? beck is sorta growing on me, but this song has absolutely *no* redeeming qualities aside form being mainstream. next! >Sure Brick is kind of catchy, ugh! yes, a great song. but it does seem odd that the only song you really give BFF any credit for is the one that is their most overplayed and--again-nothing like almost every other of their songs. next! > As for me: > > All Metallica is good, but this one is a MUST. Enter Sandman and Sad But > True kick all ass > erm...im no metallica wizard, but i dont think you get much more "stereotypical mainstream overplayed-metallica" than enter sandman. im not tyring to make any assumptions about your personality or tastes, but you seem a bit comfused. i'd hate for you to be one of those types that makes arbitrary judgements based on things such as "mainstreamness." (aka, the type who lambasts "floodies" (dammit, 5 years ago i was a floodie! it was the first CD i heard! sue me! hell, i even disliked 'particle man'!)). on the other hand, i'll also be the first to admit that there is such thing as over-playing. so, like, in conclusion, im not even saying that you're a hypocrite. it just seems trite that your argument ("eww. its SOOO mainstream. ickyicky") opposing could very very easily (again--not necessarily accurately) flipped on you. this is nearing what people call "dogma" so, y'know, set me straight or something. --kevin "when dogma enters the brain, all intellectual activity ceases" (R.A.W) ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <81a5a473.36082951@aol.com> Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 18:48:49 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: other bands, other albums In a message dated 9/21/98 12:41:18 AM, tmbgirl@juno.com writes: > like if >this thread came up 2 years ago 90% of the people would mention BNL but >now that they're popular it's like no one even needs to mention them. well, i'd mention BNL. there's just nothing to say about them. ::shrug:: my obsession with them has decreased lately, i'll admit. it'shard to escape them. when things are played without my consent, i get sick of them fast. "one week" is quickly losing thrill. the same thing happened to me with BF5's "brick". i used to love that song. to me now it's like... soda that's gone flat. (also with my sister playing 1 certain moxy fruvous cd over and over again, it's become my least favourite.) i'm not saying i'm sick of bnl. i'm just... focusing my attention on other things. tmbg & sloan mostly. sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980922225201.8188.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Michael Fink" Subject: Re: TMBG: MTV sucks Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 15:51:59 PDT I must agree that MTV is a far cry from "Music Television." I guess that is what VH1 is for. Showing stupid shows does not exactly make me think of music; the TMBG on 120 minutes had me really pumped, though... At least they show an Al-TV every now and then. Gotta give them credit for that. Let's hope there's a new one with the new album. Just wanted to say MTV sucks, like everyone else did... Mike "AP chem is too time consuming" Fink *'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'* Boycott Microsoft http://www.vcnet.com/bms *'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'* ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980922185610.006a64f4@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 18:56:10 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Bands YOU should like (at least I do) Personally: Barenaked Ladies - anything before "Stunt", which I...really don't care for. Pretty much everything else spends quite a bit of time in the ol' stereo... Ben Folds Five - I've found myself listening to a live/rare CD-R more than any of their albums. :-) I listened to them religiously for a while, but their albums just don't really grab my attention like they used to. Devo - "Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo!" is one of the finest albums ever released by any band. :-) Everclear - Nifty. I don't really enjoy "Sparkle and Fade" as much as I used to, but "So Much For The Afterglow" (which I *hated* the first time I heard it) is spectacular. Joe and the Chickenheads - Just like They Might Be Giants turned pop on its head, Joe and the Chickenheads have similarly affected ska. Unfortunately, most people haven't realized this yet. :-) They have a split-CD that's out on Sign Where? Records...at $5, it's definitely worth getting. Lincoln - They only have one album out, but it's awfully good. I try not to listen to this too much - the longer I wait to listen to it, the more brilliant it seems when I finally pop it in. I'm not really sure why, but... :-) Mono Puff - A given... Moxy Fruvous - A band I got into at the recommendation of people on this list, and I can't thank y'all enough. :-) I recommend anything and everything with their name on it. ;-) I find myself listening to "Wood" the most. The Presidents of the United States of America - I feel so guilty saying that they're one of my favorite bands. :-) One of the few bands whose bootlegs I listen to more than their studio material... The Residents - If you don't own "Duck Stab/Buster & Glen", then you're leading a deprived life. Their '70s material is my favorite... Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet - All I own by them is "Savvy Show Stoppers". Gives me a headache after a while, but I love it. :-) Tuscadero - I can't say enough good things about this band. The only band (aside from my own) that I've created a web site for. Please check it out, if you get a chance - http://members.xoom.com/tuscadero/ Velocity Girl - Another nifty band out of D.C. - I prefer their Sub Pop albums to the pre-Sarah Shannon days.... Weezer - If it has their name on it, it's gotta be good. Some of the b-sides aren't that great ), but both of their albums are wonderful... I'm hoping "Jamie" will finally show up on their third release... XTC - I listen to "Drums And Wireless" a lot...I'm looking forward to hearing more BBC stuff on Nov. 17 (my birthday, coincidentally)... "Weird Al" Yankovic - He's finally about to go back into the studio to record another album. It's about time...! Remember when he used to put out an album a year? -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <14e2ff7.36082bb1@aol.com> Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 18:58:57 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Exquisite Dead Guy Live In a message dated 9/22/98 8:42:08 AM, jaglaste@mailbox.syr.edu writes: >They don't take it right off the CD (at least not when I saw it) because >on the CD there is strings during "Exquisite Dead Guy, rotating in his >display case..." while live they used the velcro horns. So, at least they >used to do it live... i think the only taped part is john & john, while whatever backup band they have does the music live... ~sarah ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 17:04:15 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: Bands YOU should like (at least I do) Message-ID: <19980922.170428.11094.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> >If you've ever been able to find ANYTHING at the local Wal-Mart, it >must >be better than any >Wal-Mart I've been into. am i deprived? i've never been to a wal-mart. hmm... i know there are a few in denver... and there's one just outside of Vail... >>-Man or Astro-Man? _Destroy All Astro-Men!!, Experiment Zero, 100X, > >heh, never heard of any of these whoa... come on, the Schoolhouse Rocks! Rocks! CD... You can hear MoAM sing interplanet janet. Yeah, so that's what first got me hooked on the band, then i went to a show and had a great time so i bought Live Transmissions From Uranas.... Basically they rock. >As for me: > >Primus - Sailing the Seas of Cheese, Pork Soda, Tales From The >Punchbowl >PRIMUS SUCKS! (their words, not mine). I like Primus exactly as much >as TMBG. ah geez... i saw primus on the SNO-CORE TOUR '98... keep in mind they were playing with The Aquabats, Long Beach Dub AllStars (eh, sublime), and blink 182. I think that their set had to be one of *the worst* shows i have ever seen. :::shiver::: the only reason i even stayed for their set was cuz i wanted to talk to the Linnell-look-alike that was about 20 years younger than linny... :) >Soundgarden - Down On The Upside >I've only heard this one and Superunknown, and this one is a lot >better. While Super has only 2 really GREAT songs (Black Hole Sun and >Spoonman), this one has LOTS :) heh, i just always associate Soundgarden with like my teeny-bopper grunge days... >Nirvana - All CDs except Bleach and Incesticide >If you DON'T know about them then ...well, duh :P again part of my grunge-fun era... i just never grew out of liking this band (they're just about the only one). I think you can appreciate kurt's music on a bunch of different levels and too many of the people that like Nirvana are in that "i'm so depressed my life sucks" kind of stage... if you can get beyond that i think you can see the real talent behind his music. please don't flame me for these comments. my personal $.03 take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 19:11:50 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Bands YOU should like (at least I do) In a message dated 9/22/98 6:48:02 PM, insanity@uwns.underworld.net writes: >first of all this is gay. >second of all, taken in context with the rest of your post, this is _very_ >gay (no offense to my homosexual brethren, of course). first! what the fuck? i haven't heard this insult since like.... middle school..? no wait. i take that back. quiz bowls! sarah ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 19:20:01 -0400 (EDT) From: Kevin Keeler Subject: Re: TMBG: Bands YOU should like (at least I do) Message-ID: On Tue, 22 Sep 1998 KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: > > In a message dated 9/22/98 6:48:02 PM, insanity@uwns.underworld.net writes: > > >first of all this is gay. > >second of all, taken in context with the rest of your post, this is _very_ > >gay (no offense to my homosexual brethren, of course). first! > > what the fuck? i haven't heard this insult since like.... middle school..? no > wait. i take that back. quiz bowls! well..i'm all about being retro and whatnot. hell, in 2 years or so people will look back and say i was ahead of my time! truthfuly, i prefer the phrase 'homo-gay'...but i worried that might throw people off. --kevin "i wanna roack n roll all nite.." ------------------------------ From: PULPSTRESS@aol.com Message-ID: <7c8b9a8d.360830bc@aol.com> Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 19:20:28 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Bands YOU should like (at least I do) In a message dated 98-09-22 19:00:13 EDT, ctyner@CLEMSON.EDU writes: > Tuscadero - I can't say enough good things about this band. > > Velocity Girl - Another nifty band out of D.C. - I prefer their Sub Pop albums I must must MUST agree with the choice of these 2 bands!!!!! V.G. are no longer together (*sob*), but they were good while they lasted.. I saw them live a few years ago..opening for Pavement.. got to meet their guitarist, Archie - he gave me a penny :) Tuscadero are terrific, too. I haven't heard their 2nd album, but I've got the first one ("The Pink Album") and it's quite good.. they remind me of the B-52's in some ways.. I think it's the girls' harmonies (there is no male singer).. and they're really nice, too.. I got to meet the two girls when they played at this tiny little club in Charlottesville VA. Also on my recommend list - That Dog, Blur (pre-"Blur"), Pulp, Bluetones, Catatonia, Unrest, Fastball, Sloan (as several here have also mentioned), Thrush Hermit, Belle & Sebastian ("what would you *expect* a band called Belle & Sebastian to sound like?" if your responce is "awww" then you get the point *smile*) and Brian Jonestown Masacre cheese! jennifer ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 16:33:45 -0700 Message-ID: <00048D61.C21427@broder.com> From: Courtney_Patubo@broder.com (Courtney Patubo) Subject: Re: TMBG: Bands YOU should like (at least I do) Hey peeps, I don't think anyone should try and convince anyone to force feed their favorite bands upon each other, I thought that the purpose of this thread was to introduce each other to other sounds that we listen to. I will give this list credit for introducing me to BNL and BF5 a coupla years back, as well as Lincoln. I trust the judgement of most people on this list (actually, I have no idea whose opinion I wouldn't consider). I think it is interesting to see what others like, especially TMBG fans! The reason why I enjoy this list is because of the fact that the listies seem to share a common bond. Lighten up and enjoy the company! (or is that light up? oops!) As for me, I dig Pizzicato Five, Mono Puff (duh), XTC, Cocteau Twins, Portishead, yadda yadda. Just to put my 2 yen in... -- C o u r t n e y L. P a t u b o toonie@tmbg.org (home) * cpatubo@broder.com (work) ICQ# 3762743 * http://www.sirius.com/~cpatubo "The following sentence is false. The preceeding sentence is true." ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980922195609.006ad450@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 19:56:09 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Bands YOU should like (at least I do) At 07:20 PM 9/22/98 EDT, PULPSTRESS@aol.com wrote: > > >I must must MUST agree with the choice of these 2 bands!!!!! V.G. are no >longer together (*sob*), but they were good while they lasted.. I saw them Whoops. I meant to mention that too. Also, Starry Eyes (the band Jim, Kelly, and Sarah formed after the VG breakup) has broken up too. If memory serves, they broke up just a few days after their first show (opening for Tuscadero, actually). >Tuscadero are terrific, too. I haven't heard their 2nd album, but I've got the >first one ("The Pink Album") and it's quite good.. they remind me of the >B-52's in some ways.. I think it's the girls' harmonies (there is no male >singer).. and they're really nice, too.. I got to meet the two girls when they >played at this tiny little club in Charlottesville VA. Their second album's actually better than their debut (which I love dearly). I'm seeing them in Charlotte NC on Oct. 2nd - I'm looking forward to that a bit more than TMBG, actually! BTW, I have 30-second RealAudio clips of every song off their second album (and pretty much everything else they've released, actually) on my site at http://members.xoom.com/tuscadero/ -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 18:18:04 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: TMBG: new music Message-ID: Ned's Atomic Dustbin wasn't a no name band when they were big, but they died out quicker than almost any other band out there (kinda like Boyz 2 Men, only they sucked and Ned's ruled). I wasn't too much of a fan of their other albums either, and I'm the only person I know with the Kill Your Television single cd. Cap'n Helfgott ------------------------------ From: Monotreme3@aol.com Message-ID: <4eba3393.36085337@aol.com> Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 21:47:35 EDT Subject: TMBG: Houston Show... not really a review I just got back yesterday from visiting my friend in Houston. We attended the TMBG show there at Numbers and I must say... it simply rocked. It was great. Sure, there were bad times. I could have gone without the "Caught on Camera" Faces of Death type shit. (Yeah! Let's laugh at people dying! We're smart!) And one more bad thing: People who stand still during concerts as though they're too cool to dance? Fuck you. I don't care if you just go to have a good time and so you're idea of that is just standing there. I really don't care. I just don't. If you stand there, you suck. I'm sorry. And maybe you're a really, really cool person. Just don't stand next to me at a concert. 'Cause I'll hate you for it. Oh yeah, and somebody got blood on my new Happiness shirt. Bleeding person? If you're out there? I'm sorry you bled... but damn... you didn't have to get it on my shirt. -Carey "No, I'm gonna get on the net. I already told you... it's my turn." (This has to be, by far, the stupidest thing that has ever been said to me. And it was said by the stupidest person I know: my stepmother. You see, she spends all her waking hours at home playing Ultima Online (the fucking lamest game in history, by the way), consequently rendering the phones in the house useless. Okay, step-bitch... let me ask you this: is there a time period in this alleged turn based system during which it is my "turn"? No! There isn't such a time period, you stupid, monstrous, disgusting whore-monkey! There are no turns! It's just you being a moron! The whole time! So fuck you!) [Sorry to be so bitter. "Blame it on [Quake] addiction."] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980923022133.28905.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Michael Fink" Subject: Re: TMBG: new music Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 19:21:31 PDT Well, I might as well jump in on this string too... Here are my favorite groups and albums. "Weird Al" Yankovic In-3D is probably my fav album, because of I Lost On Jeopardy and Nature Trail To Hell. But I love all of the others as well. Cake I must admit I only have Fashion Nugget, but it is one of my all-time favorite albums. Everyone must get a copy. Queensryche Whilst they are not along the same lines as Cake, TMBG and Al, their early stuff, esp. Rage for Order, has a wonderfully bizarre sound Pink Floyd Get everything!!! The Wall and The Final Cut are a great set... listen to them in that order all at once Those Darn Accordions!! One of Weird Al's fav groups, along with TMBG, they are 6 accordions and a bass and a drum. Being an accordion player myself, I love them. Their stuff sounds really good. Morella's Forest They are a Christian group, but are one of the best rock/electrica bands I have ever heard. Their album From Dayton With Love has a permanent home in my CD player. Quite a distinct sound. There is my .02$ worth, but now you all know a little more about me. Doesn't that just make your day? Mike "The Norrow-minded Music Man" P.S. Check out the trombone stylings of Alan Trudel, also, if you like classical trombone. The guy is awesome *'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'* Boycott Microsoft http://www.vcnet.com/bms *'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'* ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980923031121.7876.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: Re: TMBG: new music Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 20:11:20 PDT > >Here are my favorite groups and albums. > > Tmbg: John Henry Self explanitory. ----------------------------- Gone Jackals: Bone to pick A Californian group, I first heard about them when I saw their name in the credits to the game "Full Throttle" as saying "Music by the Gone Jackals". * ----------------------------------------- The Beatles: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band What greater genius is there in a single album, than what lies beneith the cover of the Sgt. pepper album? Not much! * ------------------------------------------------- Fastball: All the pain money can buy Two words... "The Way"! * ------------------------------ Paul McCartney: All The Best Doesn't the title say it all??? ---------------------------- Various Artists: The Pulp Fiction Soundtrack Well... The movie is just like a Notorious B.I.G. music video, except the fact that IT has good music, while Biggie just plain sucks! Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com ICQ#: 17262308 contact me! http://profiles.yahoo.com/LeChuck/ "Well it's you and me and the bottle makes three tonight." -Big Bad Voodoo Daddy ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <360838C7.5411@bgnet.bgsu.edu> Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 23:54:48 +0000 From: "K.C." Subject: Re: TMBG: new music I might as well join in and list all of my favorite stuff, too. (we assume almost all TMBG, of course) I'm on my fall Beatles kick right now (regular occurence, just bout every album is getting regular play here). Other things frequently listened to here: Mono Puff, Moxy Fruvous, BNL, Devo, CPD, SNZ, Weird Al (all previously mentioned by others) Holst's "The Planets", Charles Mingus, ELP, Styx, Bosstones, Bob Dylan, Simon & Garfunkel, Maynard Ferguson, Vandals... I think that's about it... I wonder what the other guys in the dorm are thinking when they hear all this different stuff coming out of here... -- K.C. Kless "...I am a snake head eating the head on the opposite side..." DocWorm@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 21:15:04 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: TMBG: May bad luck and misfortune infest your pathetic soul for all eternity Message-ID: >>What? that was a really funny movie! What about the part when Sue >>pulls the gun and everyone's says "what the f*ck?" "Didn't you see >>Boyz in the Hood? Now one of us is gonna get shot!" >>And when their in the diner and Trent makes a drunken foll out of >>himself!! >Neither funny nor original. A lunatic swinging a gun around has been in >many movies, as well as drunk people. True, but to tell the truth, I've never seen a movie with someone making a drunken foll out of himself, that's a new one to me. Cap'n Helfgott, who just went against everything he believes in to correct a typo. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 21:18:35 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: TMBG: Bands YOU should like (at least I do) Message-ID: no. you have not been deprived. never go to wal-mart. they're ruining small business! Revolt against the capitalist iron curtain that is Wal-Mart! Up to the small independent businessman! Down to fat slobbery pigs trying to crush the small independent businessman! Kill Wal-Mart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cap'n Helfgott, who has a very strong feeling of animosity towards Wal-Mart. ------------------------------ From: Batbrain99@aol.com Message-ID: <17b10c9f.36087938@aol.com> Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 00:29:44 EDT Subject: Re:TMBG: Houston show... not really a review Sorry Mr. Monotreme, but I was deeply offended by your e-mail First item of protest: Maybe people are paralyzed, reduced to vegetables, and unable to dance but sincerely wished they could! Then again... they wouldn't be able to stand around either... hmm.... Second item of protest: So you got blood on your shirt? Well, maybe a person is mad that you got your shirt on his blood! Third item of protest: Never insult a stepmother! Bat "if he dont like it like, he'll let ya know" brain * ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ -- "The RAND Corporation, in conjunction with the saucer people, under the supervision of the reversed vampires, are developing a clever scheme to make our parents go to bed earlier in order to eliminate the meal of dinner!!! We're through the looking glass here, people..." ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980923043153.5937.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: Re: TMBG: Bands YOU should like (at least I do) Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 21:31:52 PDT >no. you have not been deprived. never go to wal-mart. they're ruining >small business! Revolt against the capitalist iron curtain that is >Wal-Mart! Up to the small independent businessman! Down to fat slobbery >pigs trying to crush the small independent businessman! Kill >Wal-Mart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >Cap'n Helfgott, who has a very strong feeling of animosity towards >Wal-Mart. > > Agreed! Just to spout my similar anger, I ripped off Wal-Mart of nearly $2000 U.S. dollars! I only got caught for $50, witch is nearly unpunishable! Everyone follow suit!!! Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com ICQ#: 17262308 contact me! http://profiles.yahoo.com/LeChuck/ "Well it's you and me and the bottle makes three tonight." -Big Bad Voodoo Daddy ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 21:37:13 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: NON TMBG: other bands, and albums Message-ID: I forgot to mention these ones, which are definitely worth mentioning. God Lives Underwater- Life in the so-called Space Age. great cd from an up and coming Philly band following in the footsteps of the Dead Milkmen Ben Harper: anything by him. Maybe someone else could help me out here, how do you characterize Ben Harper? I'll take a stab at it. Ben Harper is Jimi Hendrix/Bob Marley/James Brown, all on the Dobro (and some guitar)! Definitely worth a look if you haven't allready. Van Halen- For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge. The world's most used Acronym. Pretty good album too. Miles Davis- Kind of Blue. You can always make room for the classics Various Artists: Blues Brothers 2000. some great blues/gospel/country tunes. Ugly Kid Joe: America's Least Wanted. A blast from the early '90s, trendy upon release, but I like it. Big Bad Voodoo Dady: anything. I think they only have one album, but it kicks ass. Spin Doctors: Pocket full of Kryptonite. catchy beats, some good music too. and that would be all for now until I think of more. Cap'n Helfgott, who listens to too much music to think of in one sitting. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 21:38:16 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: TMBG: Bands YOU should like (at least I do) Message-ID: no shit. What'd you do? On Tue, 22 Sep 1998, Josh Buckland wrote: > >no. you have not been deprived. never go to wal-mart. they're > ruining > >small business! Revolt against the capitalist iron curtain that is > >Wal-Mart! Up to the small independent businessman! Down to fat > slobbery > >pigs trying to crush the small independent businessman! Kill > >Wal-Mart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! > >Cap'n Helfgott, who has a very strong feeling of animosity towards > >Wal-Mart. > > > > > > Agreed! Just to spout my similar anger, I ripped off Wal-Mart of nearly > $2000 U.S. dollars! I only got caught for $50, witch is nearly > unpunishable! Everyone follow suit!!! > > > > > Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com > ICQ#: 17262308 contact me! > http://profiles.yahoo.com/LeChuck/ > > "Well it's you and me and the bottle makes three tonight." > -Big Bad Voodoo Daddy > > > ______________________________________________________ > Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com > ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 22:59:47 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: Bands YOU should like (at least I do) Message-ID: <19980922.230323.16598.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> >Agreed! Just to spout my similar anger, I ripped off Wal-Mart of >nearly >$2000 U.S. dollars! I only got caught for $50, witch is nearly >unpunishable! Everyone follow suit!!! well damn, that's something to be proud of. that's almost as cool as faking your own death. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 23:01:50 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: Houston Show... not really a review Message-ID: <19980922.230323.16598.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> And one more bad >thing: >People who stand still during concerts as though they're too cool to >dance? Fuck you. I don't care if you just go to have a good time and >so >you're idea of that is just standing there. I really don't care. I >just >don't. If you stand there, you suck. I'm sorry uhm... i vaguely remember a list-flilling thread "swinging at TMBG shows" weren't you one (i could be totally off base here... you coulda been on my side) of the people that was saying that people swinging at TMBG shows was just wrong? take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #10-20 ******************************