Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #10-24 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 10, Number 24 Sunday, 27 September 1998 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Worm and Vole Are Friends NONTMBG: In defense of Nirvana NONTMBG: In defense of Nirvana/TMBG: Flansburgh voting Re: TMBG: 50 fun things to do at Wal Mart Re: TMBG: 50 fun things to do at Wal Mart Re: NON-TMBG: a request. NON TMBG: spelling and the lack thereof. Re: NONTMBG: In defense of Nirvana/TMBG: Flansburgh voting Re: NON TMBG: Walmart antics or fun w/ Walmart Re: NON TMBG: spelling and the lack thereof. Re: NON-TMBG: Video Bootleg 3 questions. TMBG: blues clues Re: TMBG: blues clues TMBG: The Tonight Show Re: TMBG: 50 fun things to do at Wal Mart TMBG: John Linnell To Swim Indian Ocean: news at ten Re: TMBG: John Linnell To Swim Indian Ocean: news at ten Re: TMBG: double posts Re: TMBG: Bands YOU should like (at least I do) Re: NON TMBG: Walmart and Department stores in general. Re: TMBG: TMBG SHIRT ON CNN!!!! TMBG: Band Foo... TMBG: John Linnell To Swim Indian Ocean: news at ten Re: NON-TMBG: a request. Re: NON-TMBG: a request. Re: NONTMBG: In defense of Nirvana/TMBG: Flansburgh voting Re: TMBG: The Tonight Show Re: TMBG: Wal-mart...whatever -Reply TMBG: St. Louis show TMBG: "Dr. Worm" on Dr. Demento NON-TMBG: Movies and Bands TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #10-23 TMBG: Linnell Interview - the transcript TMBG: Linnell Interview TMBG: A LITTLE TMBG/MOSTLY NOT: a little fun TMBG: tmbg.net update - Real Audio Re: TMBG: Bands YOU should like (at least I do) TMBG: blues clues Re: TMBG: blues clues Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: ArwenAnaNg@aol.com Message-ID: <5a5d120d.360c0a3d@aol.com> Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 17:25:17 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Worm and Vole Are Friends > Who would win in a fight between friends Rabbi Vole and Doctor Worm vs. > Skeletor from He-man? The only thing that's certain is that they would ALL lose to Triangle Man! Arwen "All I want is a warm bed, a kind word and unlimited power" AnaNg ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 17:46:45 -0400 (EDT) From: "Jason A. Glastetter" Subject: NONTMBG: In defense of Nirvana Message-ID: First off all, there's a rock music predicate for not being able to read music. One word: Elvis (that's right, he couldn't read a note of music) Second of all, Dave Grohl (the drummer) was seriously restricting his drumming abilities in Nirvana (of course, he seems to always restrict his drumming abilities, but in different ways at different times). He's performed with Tom Petty, R.E.M. (not the whole band, but half of it), as well as a host of others besides (perhaps) the poorest example of his drumming: Nirvana. Third: The Meat Puppets, man! Come on! Although, they did have 4 guitars going down in those songs (Kurt, Pat, Curt, & Krist), they were still damn good....ok, had to endorse the Meat Puppets... Fourth: Cobain had "raw talent" it was never truly explored or exploited fully...some people just have raw talent (I'd say Linnell would), others have to work hard (like Flans, he talks about this in interviews) jason "cheese cakes are bad, they give me queer dreams" glastetter Surprisingly we got electricity, & the next day we got conected to the web http://www.poingly.com because some music sucks more than others... ------------------------------ Message-ID: <008a01bde8d2$8b5324a0$dd061ecf@default> From: "Green Jello" Subject: NONTMBG: In defense of Nirvana/TMBG: Flansburgh voting Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 18:19:19 -0400 >jason "cheese cakes are bad, they give me queer dreams" glastetter There is absolutely no excuse for an email regarding Kurt Nobrain, Courtney Loveseverybody, Pap Smear, Dave Grunt, Jesus H. Krist or any one them!!!! One word wraps them all up... idiots. AND I'm pretty sure the cheesecake is NOT responsible for the "queer" dreams... it's probably that grunge music! That subject line is the worst I've seen in a long time! "In defense of Nirvana"... what a joke. *********** I tried voting for Flans today and it told me that he wasn't an option. "Invalid response, entry declined: error 140 John Flansburgh not allowed" What the crap????? Brother John Green Jello, who really thinks Nirvana should stay in the grave where they belong ------------------------------ From: Batbrain99@aol.com Message-ID: <3447e5a9.360c1780@aol.com> Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 18:21:52 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: 50 fun things to do at Wal Mart ok.... i am assuming that either the sender of this is really ignorant or it's some sick joke. relive the 60's man! or the past week anyway! a war is a war dammit! Bat "tle axe" Brain hey, i thought it was clever ------------------------------ From: "Christina" Subject: Re: TMBG: 50 fun things to do at Wal Mart Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 15:23:01 -0700 Message-ID: <01bde8d3$0ec3d320$9afaadce@cak4748> My apologies. Christina -----Original Message----- From: Kevin Keeler To: Christina Date: Friday, September 25, 1998 2:34 PM Subject: Re: TMBG: 50 fun things to do at Wal Mart >please do not post this crappy stuff to a mailing list. thats generally >considered very rude. > >especially since people i know keep forwardiing this same one to me > (i despise forwards) > >and especially because its large > (think of the people with the digest!) > >and especially because it is essentially a spamming. > (everyone hates that) > > > --kevin >(may we learn fromour mistakes) > > ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <709fb023.360b2158@aol.com> Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 00:51:36 EDT Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: a request. >>if you're in a pissy mood and are about to >>post, please (a) mellow out, (b) lighten up, >>(c) chill, or (d) don't post. > y'know, i'm on manymany newsgroups & discussion lists, and, ok, i'd say on more than half, there are current flame wars. so it's not just us. ;p *however* in my opinion, *our* flame wars are fun. :] ...i have heard "du hast" more times today than any human should be subjected to. mostly due to some people in my art class taking turns listening to the rammstein cd... volume all the way up. they were getting into an argument about the lyrics. "it's you, you hate, you hate me" "that's stupid, why would they do that?" "you hate.. you hate" "why do they sing it in english?" (mind you this is 4 people talking at once) ... and i couldn't help but smile when reminded of the rammstein thread on the list earlier. :) ~~sarah doooooooooo dooooooooohaaahssst dooooohaaaastmeeich =P ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 17:44:38 -0600 (MDT) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: NON TMBG: spelling and the lack thereof. Message-ID: On Fri, 25 Sep 1998, Anon Y Mous wrote: > see, now I have a great deal of trouble telling sarcasm in a message. I > hope you were being sarcastic (in some form of the meaning) in the > spelling. An 18 year old should be able to spell sarcasm. ahem. some people -- some *extremely intelligent and well-adjusted* people -- have, through no fault of lack of effort of their own, tremendous difficulty spelling words according to the innumerable and eminently inscrutable rules of the english language. my younger brother, a gifted 18-year-old in his first year of college at texas tech, happens to be one of these people. he writes insightful and eloquent poetry. he has a talent and intuitive sense for biology that far surpass my own at a similar stage of education. he has an incisive and extremely quick wit, often having its base in complex wordplay. BUT -- i have watched him struggle and struggle and struggle since the age of six to master that damn spelling, to little avail. his handwriting also tends to suck. but so be it. > And you seem proud of it. A fool is another name for a court jester, who > entertained and made people laugh. What you said you did is hardly that. > It's sophmoric... sophomoric. ^ > ...animosity towards WalMart employees (of which I was once going to > be...but they weren't hiring at the time). it was a harmless prank with no evidence of ill-will toward the employees of wal-mart. --jim kuemmerle, who, like claire, also has ADD... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980925235244.5856.rocketmail@web4.rocketmail.com> Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 16:52:44 -0700 (PDT) From: Danielle Gaither Subject: Re: NONTMBG: In defense of Nirvana/TMBG: Flansburgh voting ---Green Jello wrote: > There is absolutely no excuse for an email regarding Kurt Nobrain, Excuse me? Can we show a *little* sensitivity here? > Courtney Loveseverybody, OK, this woman has survived the loss of a husband, kicked a heroin habit, and is raising a child on her own. Regardless of what you may think of her music, you don't need to resort to crap like that. > Pap Smear, Dave Grunt, Jesus H. Krist or any one them!!!! > > One word wraps them all up... idiots. That's your opinion. Others may disagree. > That subject line is the worst I've seen in a long time! "In defense of > Nirvana"... what a joke. OK, let me clarify some things. I don't think Nirvana is the greatest band of all time (that's TMBG, silly! ;). I don't think Kurt Cobain was "the John Lennon of Generation X" for reasons I'll avoid getting into if possible. However, had it not been for groups like that, we might still be listening to Poison or REO Speedwagon or some crap like that. Nirvana did turn rock on its ear (at least for a while), regardless of your personal opinion of their music. So show a little respect, OK? > *********** > I tried voting for Flans today and it told me that he wasn't an option. > "Invalid response, entry declined: error 140 John Flansburgh not allowed" > > What the crap????? Well, boo. Smells like a conspiracy to me. ;) > Brother John Green Jello, who really thinks Nirvana should stay in the grave > where they belong I hope no one on this list has known someone who committed suicide. If there is, you deserve just about anything you get from them. Patching her now-vented spleen, Inspector Over the Mine _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 20:30:34 -0400 Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Walmart antics or fun w/ Walmart Message-ID: <19980925.203058.9974.0.gray42@juno.com> On Fri, 25 Sep 1998 01:16:02 -0400 particle.man@juno.com (Anon Y Mous) writes: >>>Keep the phrase in parenthesis in mind when reading this message. >> >>Is this what you Earthlings refer to as Saurcasm (did I spell that >>right) > >see, now I have a great deal of trouble telling sarcasm in a message. >I hope you were being sarcastic (in some form of the meaning) in the >spelling. An 18 year old should be able to spell sarcasm Jeez, at this point I'm just going to sit in my corner and cry, it seems for some reason I can't send anything to TMBG.Org, which is where I tried to send an explaning apologize post, mainly trying to apologize for this post because I typed it up in a delerious moment of my life. Not to mention a rather unhappy moment. And so what if I can't spell sarcasm, that does not determine my age, and just because I can't spell, or wasn't sure of the spelling the word sarcasm, it doesn't nessecarily mean I'm some sort of idiot. Who wants to be damned perfect anyway, save that for the boring people. > > >>Hey that's what we live for, the world needs a few fools. > >And you seem proud of it. A fool is another name for a court jester, >who entertained and made people laugh. What you said you did is >hardly that. It's sophmoric animosity towards WalMart employees (of >which I was once going to be...but they weren't hiring at the time). As I explained in the post that was never successfully sent to the list, this was a pointless twisted revenge against the old lady who thought I stole things i.e. an atomically correct, massacared, punk Barbie doll (that Matel never created) just because I had it in my satchel, and because I'm a teenager with her head shaved. I've never stolen in my life and never will. Or the time that another Walmart sent a worker to watch me and my friends just because we were teens. Besides, the running out of Walmart, playing with the tubes thing only happened once, and no real harm was done. > >>Hey, I did nothing wrong, no bootleging, I couldn't use a product, >and >>went through the back door (stereotypical female) to get my B-day >>money back. > >don't get defensive, I wasn't being sarcastic...that was a good idea >:) Sorry, I'm only defensive because I don't want to be seen as a supporter of robery >>Maybe I'm a sick twisted Sato Masochist from Outer Space who gets >some >>sort of perverted satisfaction from being evil. Nobody's perfect, >and >>I've got rights > >Oh dear...we have one of these. Rights, my friend, are not all they >are cracked up to be. yeah but rights are there, and they are there to stay We have freedom of press, but you can't put >certain stuff in, we have freedom of speech, but we can't yell fire in >a crowded theatre, you know all the examples. Don't fall back on >them. My 11 year old sister, when people say "Don't do that" to >whatever it is she's doing, often says "It's a free country." I >*HATE* that. Haha, you'd probably hate me then, I'm just l;ike your little sister :P and am proud of it And for what you do, the store has the right to detain >you and force you to exit the store. actions have consequences, and I can live with that. If they want to throw me out on the street, let them. ..maybe not arrest (unless you >cross some line to unlawful harassment). I have my own set of morals I follow, and trhat's all I need. If certain things happen because of them, it was meant to be that way. >>Did I ever say I wasn't a hypocrite, well I am, and they've got >rights >>to. This world we live in should be hard, otherwise it wouldn't be >>any fun. > >Uh oh, it's the rights again. Yes, you have the "right" to be a >hypocrite, just like you have the right to be a racist, bigot, or Neil >Diamond fan...not to say that any of those are socially acceptable or >morally right. Yes but who determines right or wrong, God, a higher being (hell, god or a higher entity could be as much of an idiot as the rest of us, there is no proof for anything)? Well send him to my front door and we'll talk it out. Im not a racist, nor am I bigoted, I don't even care about who Neil Diamond is, but I'm sure that racist, bigots, and Neil Diamond fans believe in who they are, as do the liberals, Christians, Satan worshipers, etc. etc. But I'm not going to be Mr. Nazi about it, and wipe out anyone who thinks differently from me. Other people have feeling also, as do you, probably. And I respect that. But I also have feelings, and deserve a little respect. And your reaction to my frustrated action, deserves my reaction of being pissed at your reactions. Which'll probably lead on to more reactions... plplplplplolplplpplpplp Mysterio Gal (I could talk forever, and still not be able to get my point across) "Little David is all grown up. Too bad for the cause of Good!" --Negativland MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 >___________________________________________________________________ >You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get >completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno >at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <360C0869.692@bgnet.bgsu.edu> Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 21:17:28 +0000 From: "K.C." Subject: Re: NON TMBG: spelling and the lack thereof. some *extremely intelligent and well-adjusted* > people -- have, through no fault of lack of effort of their own, > tremendous difficulty spelling words according to the innumerable and > eminently inscrutable rules of the english language. Precisely why the world should still speak Latin, where there are no spelling problems cause the rules state if you spell it this way, it sounds this way...with no exceptions. Just a tidbit from the (probably only) Latin major on the list. -- K.C. Kless "...I am a snake head eating the head on the opposite side..." DocWorm@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Video Bootleg 3 questions. Message-ID: <19980925.210433.8063.0.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A Klein) Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 21:05:54 EDT >(2) They'll need a Crane. Who are the elderly gentlemen acting as the >backing band on the video. Are they musicians, actors or both? They are, according to our Johns, "professional old guys" :) Derek "Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age" ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 21:09:58 -0400 Subject: TMBG: blues clues Message-ID: <19980925.211018.9974.3.gray42@juno.com> ok, I have a feeling that Juno's malfunctioning again, so I'm resending this to the list because I don't think it successfully made it before, if it did please tell me I'm crazy Am I crazee, or is anyone else reminded of John Linnell when they see the funny, singing, dancing man on Blues Clues, I saw about 2 minutes of it, out of he corner of my eye, whilest at a friends house. Also keep in mind that I have not watched television for the last 2 years, and was utterly suprised to see that Nick Jr. time slot had extended into the evening. Mysterio Gal (ho hum, how times have changed) "Little David is all grown up. Too bad for the cause of Good!" --Negativland MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <360C10EA.3F1@bgnet.bgsu.edu> Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 21:53:46 +0000 From: "K.C." Subject: Re: TMBG: blues clues Actually, that guy does remind me alot of Linnell. I have actually watched full epsiodes of show (yes, I know, scary), and it's actually a pretty neat concept as far as kids tv goes. And that guy does remind me of Linnell. -Kansas City -- K.C. Kless "...I am a snake head eating the head on the opposite side..." DocWorm@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 09:16:19 -0400 Subject: TMBG: The Tonight Show Message-ID: <19980925.091623.4598.0.Superman75@juno.com> From: superman75@juno.com (Adam Schaaf) hi. natalie merchant was on jay leno last night. graham was playing for her. the odd thing was he played a five string bass. i can only ever remember him using a four. is it just for natalie or was it always that way? your underking of pop trivia, adam schaaf * ------------------------------------------ Philly Tour Dates Sept. 27 - Sunny Day Real Estate!!! Oct. 7 - Liz Phair (sold out and i can't go) Oct. 9 - Henry Rollins Spoken Word!!! Oct. 13 - TMBG!!! Oct. 24 - Soul Coughing!! * ------------------------------------------ ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <7482c051.360c5c7e@aol.com> Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 23:16:14 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: 50 fun things to do at Wal Mart In a message dated 9/25/98 6:26:58 PM, mirakul@concentric.net writes: >>please do not post this crappy stuff to a mailing list. thats generally > >>considered very rude. > >> >My apologies. don't apologize. yes, it was a fwd (which shouldn't be sent to the list), but it was no more off topic than the walmart thread, so. i found it funny. i think it's pretty safe to say that if you see a subject header that says "50 fun things to do at Wal Mart" and you don't want to read it - don't. ~sarah ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199809260322.LAA23060@vector.wantree.com.au> From: "Carla Stagles" Subject: TMBG: John Linnell To Swim Indian Ocean: news at ten Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 11:18:03 +0800 i'll admit it, living Down Under has it's draw backs. i have to scavenge for my TMBG hits, as they are precious and rare. usually my They intake is via some old scratchy bootlegs, this wonderful thing called the Internet and age old stories passed from fan to fan about the time someone they knew had their shoe signed... however, yesterday, while having my lunch break i just HAPPENED to get bored of what ever it was i was playing in my car. So i tuned into my local community radio station RtR fm 92.1, they were playing aphex twin... i turned it up. then... the familiar trumpets kicked in. "Dr Worm!!!!", i screamed to no one in particular. "Rooooooock!!!!", said i, pummelling the roof of my car with glee and turning every stereophonic device in my car WAY beyond maximum. You see, i had never heard Dr Worm on the radio. (Although it has been played on our government owned youth station, Triple J, but i don't listen to that one because other than the occasional flash of brilliance it plays crap.) So this experience was very special. Then much to my dismay the music began to fade out. right in the middle of the song, no less! "Bah HUMBUG!", thought i, "this is just one of those stinky-type days." And then up came the sound of a weedy Dj's voice "I was just playing Dr Worm, by They Might Be Giants, from their latest album, Severe Tire Damage... and joining me now on the phone is John Linnell. What time is it over there, John?" a deathly pause... an eternity of dead air... an intake of breath... "It's about 1am here. we've just finished a show..." POW!! MY LUCKY DAY!!! All my other gripes and whinges went RIGHT out the window as i listened to this (really appallingly bad) interview. It was the usually tripe. Even though the DJ must have been something of a fan it was just the standard questions: Album; Touring; Fans; DAS; Australia? 1999? oh good :) but it was happening AS i listened. That was what made it special. and John said he wanted to swim in the Indian Ocean. If anyone sees him between now and then... tell him not to go to Cottesloe or Scarborough, they are too crowded and icky. City Beach and Mullaloo are a much better bet! The further North the better, John! Much cleaner, much nicer! They Might Be Giants, Gough bless 'em ;) carla ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <2b5d8c5b.360c60bd@aol.com> Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 23:34:21 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: John Linnell To Swim Indian Ocean: news at ten In a message dated 9/25/98 11:27:28 PM, stagles@wantree.com.au writes: >. You see, i > >had never heard Dr Worm on the radio. (Although it has been played on our > >government owned youth station, Triple J, but i don't listen to that one > >because other than the occasional flash of brilliance it plays crap.) So > >this experience was very special. hehe, wow.. i hear dr. worm on my station all the time , but just *now*, i had the tv turned to the "alternative music video showcase" run by a local cd store on a local public access channel.. not really paying attention. they rarely play anything good - well, soul coughing *one* time, but usually it's.. eenh.. blah. but all the sudden... i hear *dun dun.. dun..* ~the guitar~ ... oh my, i, freaked out. :) :D :D :D coooool! i was a little irritated though as i had actually thought about having a tape ready, just in case, but figured i wouldn't need it. :P ~sarah! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 00:57:24 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: double posts Message-ID: <19980925.024520.4262.1.particle.man@juno.com> From: particle.man@juno.com (Anon Y Mous) >a lot of people complain about getting the messages twice and that you >should just reply to the mailing list but honestly... i skip over so >many messages that if i see it two times in my box i know they're >writting me specifically... and anyways, it's not *that* hard to hit >delete well I'm guessing you also sent this to me as well as the list. It's not hard to hit delete, but for those of us who download their mail, many double posts can take time. You use Juno (tmbgirl), just do what I do. Click on address book, highlight TMBG (an entry you make) and hit send to. Then delete the person's address ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 00:55:19 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Bands YOU should like (at least I do) Message-ID: <19980925.024520.4262.0.particle.man@juno.com> From: particle.man@juno.com (Anon Y Mous) >then you, my friend, are deprived. you've never heard of Sublime? >are you hiding underneath a rock? Long Beach Dub AllStars is Sublime >without Bradley (cuz well, he's dead). >The Aquabats are a really good ska group. You can't find some of >their albums unless you're in Cali but they rock, it's not like the >crap you hear on the radio.... >blink 182, is a crappy ska/punk band you'll hear on the radio a lot... >in fact, they had a single off of the Can't Hardly Wait soundtrack. Of course I've heard of Sublime, just not Long Beach Dub AllStars. I can't say I'm a fan of theirs so I wouldn't know. ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 00:14:02 -0400 Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Walmart and Department stores in general. Message-ID: <19980925.001712.10294.4.gray42@juno.com> Ok, I just sent a post saying some prettyb drastic stuff, and I'm taking this liberty to go on another mood swing, wherein I will defend myself from myself and humbly apologize, cause frankly, I hate flame wars, sorry if this post came too late. That running thing happened only once, and that was a twisted form of revenge from all the times when Walmart had workers follow me, just cause I was a teenager, and I looked as tho' I would steal something. I don't like to be falsely accused, and I've never stolen. I guess this sort of revenge would turn against me, but I felt like doing it. Not to mention the time, an old lady at the door was suspicious of my satchel, discovered my homemade, obviously not from Walmart, massacared, anatomically correct, insane, punk Barbie, and asked me if I had a receipt. I obviouslly did not steal it, because they sold nothing like it, but just cause I was a punk teenager with a small breifcase, she suspected me of stealing. I've never brpoken a law in my life, but I like to act mysterious. If any incorrect ideas have bewen taken from my former posts, I hope this one cleared them all up. And if the flame war wasn't even refering to my former posts (impossible) blame it on my overszed and open head. Mysterio Gal (sniff) "Little David is all grown up. Too bad for the cause of Good!" --Negativland MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 15:03:28 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG SHIRT ON CNN!!!! Message-ID: <19980926.001415.4326.0.Mr.Train@juno.com> I flipped on the TV after coming home from work and CNN's showbiz today was on... I sat down to read my TMBG mail and they started doing a piece on the Firesign Theater... a comedy group from the 70's and it featured an interview of them by Dr. Demonto... I turned to watch and it shows a picture of an audience watching the interview or at the CD release party or something and sitting in the very front row is a guy in A TMBG SHIRT!!!! It's the one with the pic. of a skull on the front with THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS down the side... it was great... I would direct those who haven't seen it to TMBG.com for a picture, but they no longer offer it... Anyway, it was cool.. Tim, THIS is TMBG (said in James Earl Jones voice) Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update: Apollo 18 (yes, the whole album) Last CD purchase: Teleconned Vol. 1 Favorite mainstream song: One Week - BNL (looking for a challenger) ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 01:39:18 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Band Foo... Message-ID: <19980925.013928.-142675.4.DamienW@juno.com> From: damienw@juno.com (Damien A Wellman) On Thu, 24 Sep 1998 02:04:07 -0400 (EDT) owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org writes: >Subject: NON-TMBG: Band Foo.. >Oh, what the heck. I'll jump in, too. > >TMBG is, of course, a given. Well, I suppose I'll throw in my 2 NYC subway tokens: I'm surprised no one has mentioned Crash Test Dummies. I haven't listened to any new CDs, if any exist, but their first two albums sound surprisingly TMBG-ish lyrically, although their musical style is softer and more sedate. However, their songs have a similar multi-level lyrical nature, being silly when taken one way, quite deep taken on another, quite scary taken yet another way, and so on. 'sides, any band that writes a song about Superman and Tarzan deserves a listen. So there. +damienw@juno.com-------------------------------+-------------+ "Magic overused can freeze the mind. |MegaZeux | Creativity is more importtant than power." |GURPS | - Zur the Enchanter |Final Fantasy| Self Proclaimed Defender of Cards That Suck |Anime | +------------+http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Alley/4204 | ------------------------------ Message-ID: <360CE02D.1FB8@tmbg.org> Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 12:38:05 +0000 From: Lorelei Ann Spencer Subject: TMBG: John Linnell To Swim Indian Ocean: news at ten >i'll admit it, living Down Under has it's draw backs. i have to >scavenge >for my TMBG hits, as they are precious and rare. I hear you! I hear you! (funny, considering I am stuck in the same place as you!) >however, yesterday, while having my lunch break i just HAPPENED to >get >bored of what ever it was i was playing in my car. So i tuned into my >local >community radio station RtR fm 92.1, they were playing aphex twin... >i >turned it up. >then... the familiar trumpets kicked in. "Dr Worm!!!!", i screamed to >no >one in particular. >"Rooooooock!!!!", said i, pummelling the roof of my car with glee and >turning every stereophonic device in my car WAY beyond maximum. You >see, i >had never heard Dr Worm on the radio. (Although it has been played on >our >government owned youth station, Triple J, but i don't listen to that >one >because other than the occasional flash of brilliance it plays crap.) >So >this experience was very special. OI! Obviously you werent listening the night that Claudine let me come on Dawntredder and co-dj with her =) I played LOTS of tmbg. Eventually someone rang up at5.50 am and requested that i playno more tmbg. They sucked. I ignored them, of course. =) I was at someones house the other day, and heard dr worm on the radio for the first time while doing a job, so i couldnt sing along or act excited. And i couldnt tell them to shut up either. ALthough apparently JJJ are playing it a lot. A friend complained about it to me. So I guess JJJ have some good qualities. Speaking of JJJ, does anyone have a copy of when They were on JJJ's "live on the wireless?". If so, could you let me know. =) >Then much to my dismay the music began to fade out. right in the >middle of >the song, no less! >"Bah HUMBUG!", thought i, "this is just one of those stinky-type >days." it would be typical.. =) >And then up came the sound of a weedy Dj's voice "I was just playing >Dr >Worm, by They Might Be Giants, from their latest album, Severe Tire >Damage... and joining me now on the phone is John Linnell. What time >is it >over there, John?" I would have wet my pants, hearing that, I would have. >a deathly pause... an eternity of dead air... an intake of breath... >"It's about 1am here. we've just finished a show..." >POW!! MY LUCKY DAY!!! yeah, I'll say! So did they say if/when they would be touring here? =) Cos I'm not oldschool, so I havent seen them yet =P Did anyone you know tape it at all? (I am assuming not)... Lorelei (Laura) leader of the mmmbop world domination society *************** A N G S T I N C. ******************* ~~~~~~~ http://www.vianet.net.au/~ophidian ~~~~~~~~~~ \~o If I were a carpenter, I'd hammer on my piglet I'd collect the seven dollars and I'd buy a big prosthetic forehead and wear it on my real head! o~/ t m b g ~~~~~~~~~~~~~gratuitous waste of space '98~~~~~~~~~~~ ***************************************************** ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 25 Sep 98 17:59:40 +1000 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: a request. From: Well at least someone on this list has something decent to say. Well done Courtney and Jim, with any luck all you dickheads out there who have been arguing about stupid movies and shopping centres ought to take a good hard look at yourselves and realise that this is a THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS list, not some outlet for underskilled debators who have nothing else to do with their life but write crap emails. My first outing on the list Luke ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <7e9853c8.360c7a9a@aol.com> Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 01:24:42 EDT Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: a request. In a message dated 9/26/98 1:14:56 AM, lukea@mpx.com.au writes: >Well at least someone on this list has something decent to say. Well >done Courtney and Jim, with any luck all you dickheads out there who >have been arguing about stupid movies and shopping centres ought to >take a good hard look at yourselves and realise that this is a THEY >MIGHT BE GIANTS list, not some outlet for underskilled debators who >have nothing else to do with their life but write crap emails. > ... >My first outing on the list that explains it. welcome, luke. these off topic discussions are quite common here. we all realize it's a tmbg list. this is nothing new. hope you can get used to it. :} ~sarah ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 23:03:16 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: NONTMBG: In defense of Nirvana/TMBG: Flansburgh voting Message-ID: hey, there's nothing wrong with Poison. I used their lines from "A Rose Has A Thorn" in a debate round and won. Plus they rule. Cap'n Helfgott, who thinks that no band can be bad if they've had a line from their music pass as the meaning of life in a cheap Hollywood movie with Keanu Reeves. On Fri, 25 Sep 1998, Danielle Gaither wrote: > ---Green Jello wrote: > > There is absolutely no excuse for an email regarding Kurt Nobrain, > Excuse me? Can we show a *little* sensitivity here? > > > Courtney Loveseverybody, > OK, this woman has survived the loss of a husband, kicked a heroin habit, and > is raising a child on her own. Regardless of what you may think of her music, > you don't need to resort to crap like that. > > > Pap Smear, Dave Grunt, Jesus H. Krist or any one them!!!! > > > > One word wraps them all up... idiots. > That's your opinion. Others may disagree. > > > That subject line is the worst I've seen in a long time! "In defense of > > Nirvana"... what a joke. > OK, let me clarify some things. I don't think Nirvana is the greatest band of > all time (that's TMBG, silly! ;). I don't think Kurt Cobain was "the John > Lennon of Generation X" for reasons I'll avoid getting into if possible. > However, had it not been for groups like that, we might still be listening to > Poison or REO Speedwagon or some crap like that. Nirvana did turn rock on its > ear (at least for a while), regardless of your personal opinion of their > music. So show a little respect, OK? > > > > *********** > > I tried voting for Flans today and it told me that he wasn't an option. > > "Invalid response, entry declined: error 140 John Flansburgh not allowed" > > > > What the crap????? > Well, boo. Smells like a conspiracy to me. ;) > > > Brother John Green Jello, who really thinks Nirvana should stay in the grave > > where they belong > I hope no one on this list has known someone who committed suicide. If there > is, you deserve just about anything you get from them. > > Patching her now-vented spleen, > Inspector Over the Mine > _________________________________________________________ > DO YOU YAHOO!? > Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com > > ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 23:44:06 -0700 From: Bob Gonsalves Subject: Re: TMBG: The Tonight Show >natalie merchant was on jay leno last night. graham was playing >for her. the odd thing was he played a five string bass. i can only >ever >remember him using a four. is it just for natalie or was it always that >way? He's been seen playing a five string for Them. In fact there was a discussion last year (gosh, was it really that long ago?) about what tuning he would use. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 04:45:23 -0500 (CDT) From: bill tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: Wal-mart...whatever -Reply Message-ID: On Thu, 24 Sep 1998 rhilton@bitc.org.uk wrote: >> Remember that whole thread about mp3s screwing John and John out of >> some >> money? Let me tell you...it's not as though they're getting half of >> the >> profits from each CD sale...I believe they get about ten cents, if >> that, from each CD sale. > If they are only getting ten cents a CD they are being truely ripped off. I > don't know the true figure but ten cents! Okay, so I was wrong. The actual figure is 65 cents. If you want the complete breakdown of where the money from each CD goes, ask me and I can post it. Remember, though. 65 cents is not a lot. Hell, if people want, I can send John and John a check for $1.30, making up for the couple of mp3s that I have that I don't own on CD. The Rev |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| | Reverend Bill Tatalovich | Home page: | | | http://students.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/ | | wt3@cec.wustl.edu |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ | personnel@kwur.wustl.edu | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 04:51:20 -0500 (CDT) From: bill tatalovich Subject: TMBG: St. Louis show Message-ID: Hey everyone-- I figured that since I sent a post about, well, nothing in particular a few minutes ago, I might as well talk about the St. Louis show tonight. I'm surprised there's no setlist posted yet...I didn't write one down, mainly because I thought someone else would. Suffice it to say that the setlist was just about exactly the same as in past nights... Quick notes: --I liked Michael Shelley. So sue me. The fact that he gave an audience member shit for yelling at him was great, and oh yeah, I liked his music too. Didn't have the guts to scream a request for "Gerry Cheevers", though (only Cheeky Monkey song I could think of, and even that's a cover). --I loved the version of "Ana Ng." With a slowed-down, quiet verse section, and a rockin' chorus (I mean, more so than usual). Great. --I still love "She's an Angel" live. --FLANS BROKE THE STICK!!!!!!!! They were supposed to play "Lie Still Little Bottle," but as Flans was messing around with the stick, the microphone attached to the bottom broke. Very funny, actually... --I've been to four concerts in the past eight days, and the crowd at the TMBG show was the worst of the group. And I'm even including a metal show (Incubus/System of a Down, by the way)!!! --The concert sold out. That's all I can think of, but I'm sure there's something else. Any other listers actually go to the show? Thoughts? The Rev |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| | Reverend Bill Tatalovich | Home page: | | | http://students.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/ | | wt3@cec.wustl.edu |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ | personnel@kwur.wustl.edu | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 08:16:36 EDT Subject: TMBG: "Dr. Worm" on Dr. Demento I was just checking the Dr. Demento Show newsgroup and saw that "Dr. Worm" is the #4 most requested song this week! He's also going to play the STD version of "Particle Man." I know some of you may be dismayed by this news, but I think it's pretty cool. I don't get the Dr. Demento Show anymore, but I'd love to know if he makes any comments about TMBG, so for anyone who does get it, feel free to post a report! Kay ------------------------------ From: Spoonerism@aol.com Message-ID: <3f5219e7.360cf953@aol.com> Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 10:25:23 EDT Subject: NON-TMBG: Movies and Bands <> Here Here! First, watch Life of Brian, then watch the TV Shows, which are way funnier than all the movies. (And after John Cleese left (snif) they just got really bizarre and out of control, which was hilarious as hell) Funniest Movies I've seen that weren't mentioned: Clue- Tim Curry is awesome by himself, and put him in a comedy filled with subtle ironies and excellent actors, and you've got the coolest movie ever! Dr. Strangelove- If you haven't seen this classic (I say that 'cause it's B&W), then go and get the pinnacle of 1960's satire Deconstructing Harry (or Henry, I can't remember...)- The first Woodie Allen movie I saw, and I enjoyed it very much. Got some great quotes from it too.... As for bands I must hearitly reccomend the following: 1. Talking Heads- Funky beats with complex construction and clever lyrics 2. David Byrne- World-music influences and extremely cynical lyrics 3. R.E.M.- I like the earlier stuff better, but their last album was really good, too 4. Garbage- Love all that techno noise and Manson's voice (Shirley, not Marilyn) 5. Devo- I just picked up their Greatest Hits CD on the advice of my pal, and I must say they are certainly progressive.... to say the least.... 6. Beck- Mellow Gold had a few songs on it I liked, but Odelay was truly amazing 7. Squirrel Nut Zippers- These guys have something that the other "swing" bands don't have... I think it has to do with the fact that they don't really play swing to get the swing crowd to listen to them and buy their stuff (a la Cherry Poppin' Daddies {slept through their CD} and Big Bad Voodoo Daddy {Listened to that one twice, at the most}, they just play it because that's what moves them :) -CAsey ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001c01bde963$1afc0500$59701ad0@kathy> From: "Kathy Hardiman" Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #10-23 Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 11:34:07 -0400 lets put an end to this wal-mart thing once and for all. i have seen and have chuckled at the 50 fun things to do at wal-mart list, despite the fact that i work there. however, if i ever saw anyone actually doing those things i would have to get mideval on their ass. working at wal-mart has made me hate people. i see every customer as a mindless leming that only aims to destroy and mess up my department. i look on each one with pure HATE. one time, some teens came and blew their nose on tissues which they tossed on the floor for me to pick up. i called one of them a mother fu-----....and he threathened to have me fired! ha! i don't get paid piddly wages to pick up bio-hazards. another woman found it cool to breast feed her kid on a bench in my department. ewwww!!!! another time, a woman removed her tampon in the depatrment and threw it in with some merchandise (i work in a slummy area). the last straw came when an old man came up behind me, grabbed my ass and said, "is this on sale?" when people play tricks to be funny, they are neglecting the fact that the clerks (over worked and underpaid) have to deal with it, not the corporate pigs. we have enough shit to deal with as it is, especially the dehuminizing shit that i've been through.... its just NOT FUNNY! i'm currently working on a screenplay where an upset clerk gets insane and kills each customer violently. see....you never know what evil lurks behind a forced smile. --kathy ***on a lighter note.....guess who's on the VIP guestlist for the 10-14 show in boston!?!?!? backstage passes and an invite to a post show party w/the giants!!!!!! i'll have to give a full report! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199809261547.LAA11599@ussenterprise.ufp.org> From: "Kris Maxwell" Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 10:49:39 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Linnell Interview - the transcript Phone Interview with John Linnell 9/24/98 Well, after several months of pursuing the interview, I finally got a chance to talk to Mr. John Linnell about Severe Tire Damage, touring, and the Giants in general. Here's how it went: Kris Maxwell: Hello? John Linnell: Hellooo, this is John Linnell here calling for Kris Maxwell KM: This is him. JL: Kris, how ya doing? KM: Not too bad, how are you? JL: Sorry I'm late in calling, we had a kind of late sound check. KM: That's alright. Did you get everything handled, taken care of? JL: Everything is SO together now, it's incredible. KM: Alrighty, well let's hope you can hold on to it. JL: Oh I hope so.... not likely. KM: Well, I don't know, I think it will be fun either way. JL: That's right. KM: So, how is the tour going? JL: Pretty good, we're working our way east. We're out of the blazing-hot Texas shows, and we're doing pretty good, I guess. [aside to tour manager "Chris"] How are we doing, Chris? JL: Shows have been selling out, according to our tour manager. KM: Oh, wow, that's great. JL: And the vibe is very good, we've got lots of new material we're playing... KM: Oh yeah, I like that "Working Undercover for the Man," very good song. JL: Oh yeah, cool, thanks. Where'd you hear that? KM: I caught you down in Dallas. JL: All right [sounds really pleased for some reason] KM: You kind of neglected us Oklahomites. JL: We have. We've played a total of 1 show in Oklahoma so far. But, you know, we will atone for our sins. KM: We'll be looking forward to it. Well, before I get on to the formal part, how much time... JL: I thought we were in the formal part KM: Well, it was a delusion JL: We have like 20 minutes. This is the best part, you know, the part where we're just talking. It's the part you should print. KM: I think I will. Just do a picture of both of our heads... cool. So, um, anyway, I'm trying to figure out where I should start here. I guess we should talk about the new album JL: Let's talk about it. KM: Ok, just go off... JL: General things about the record? Well, I think we put our best club-foot forward with this record. It's funny how we backed into this more typical band thing of putting out live albums and stuff. We didn't get a band until John and I had been playing together for about 10 years, so it was all new and exciting. And we didn't really accumulate enough good live recoerdings until last year, so we decided to pretty much put out the recoridngs on the basis of what sounded good, with some concessions to 'songs that were beloved' by people. But we also included a lot of material that nobody asked for, including the six-part Planet of the Apes tribute at the end of the record. KM: Now how did that come about? JL: Well, it was sort of an accident, like many of our most hailed moves. We were doing a thing in our show that was more or less free improvisation, and the official excuse for ti was that it was songs based on Planet of the Apes movies... but we were just making up stuff. KM: Why did you choose the Planet of the Apes movies themselves? JL: I can't remember how it started... I think it was our bass player Hal Cragin commented once early last year that... he made some comparison to the Planet of the Apes. Like being on the road for him was somehow equivalent to being Charlton Heston in Planet of the Apes. And we took that ball and ran very far. KM: [laughing] I guess so. Well I don't know if that's had anything to do with it, but I've noticed that there's been a huge explosion with Planet of the Apes... JL: It's CRAZY what's going on out there. KM: Can you claim responsibility for that? JL: No, no. We had no idea. It wasn't even that we ahd tapped into the zeitgeist. I think it was that we were part of it. AMC just started playing all the movies, and they're showing a thing called "The Making Of. . .," which is a long documentary. And they've just released these letterbox versions which you can buy now as a set. You can buy all the movies now, they've been re-released. And they've got interviews with Charlton Heston and all those great people. KM: I have to admit that I just saw Planet of the Apes for the first time on AMC just the other day. JL: I think I saw the same showing. It was the first time I had seen the first one. KM: Yeah, I came in late. I cought the cool "damn you!" line, though. JL: That part is great. KM: That's classic, I get all the jokes now. JL: I think that's where Hal was checking in about touring. KM: That was the vibe he was getting. JL: That was the feeling, yeah. KM: Well I guess you could get that, because you guys tour quite a bit, huh? JL: We do. KM: How much time do you think you have spent on the road? JL: How long have we spent on the Planet of the Road? Well, this is a six week tour that we're doing right now, but we played a lot of shows over the summer, and we were touring solidly in the spring as well. We have sort of changed our routine now, because we've been putting out records in a more erratic fashion. For most of our history we toured for half the year. We normally put out a record and toured for the better part of a year, and then were home for the better part of a year making the next record. And that has been our scene historically; pretty much half on tour, half at home. KM: But you've thrown that all away. . .? JL: Well, it's all gotten mixed up now. I think we're on the road half the time still, but it's hard to work out the math because it's all gotten confusing. KM: So what are some of the biggest challenges you've faced by touring and doing live shows all the time? JL: Well, laundry is a big one. Doing our laundry. KM: You've gotta carry it on the bus, huh? JL: We've just got to do it whenever we can. If there is a day off, that it a cherished time for the band and crew, because we all march to the laundromat to take care of our hygienic concerns. KM: It helps you get a flavor for the places you're playing too. You can compare their laundromats? JL: Oh what? KM: Kind of the local flavor edge, you go to a town and go check out their laundromats. . . JL: Oh yeah, you do. You get to check in with the local culture, the local hairdos. Yeah there's that, there's getting enough sleep and eating. You know it's all the really most basic concerns that man has had since the beginning. Food, clothing, and shelter. There are daily concerns, we're often struggling to meet all of those needs. KM: So what keeps you on the road? What do you like best about touring and performing live? JL: For John and I, it's particularly gratifying because we get to really blow our horns. It's a crazy ego trip going on playing our songs. I won't deny it. But I think it's more complicated than that. I think about other jobs I've had. In some ways, there was more stability to working in one place over and over again, having a sense that your income was sort of guaranteed in a steady way. This is way more chaotic, but I think it's a better job than what I was doing. I worked in a darkroom for a while. That was my highest paying job that I ever had. KM: I noticed that you did some of the photos for the album. . . JL: I did, yeah, I'm an amature photographer. I didn't pay myself, so I'm still an amature. Yeah, I took those pictures out of my window mostly. KM: I was wondering about that, because those are some intersting photos, witht he snow on the car. . . JL: Yeah, we had some crazy winters in Brooklyn. I just take pictures all the time, and I've got a lot of pictures I've taken on the road that you can visit on our website. Lots of pictures of old incarnations of They Might Be Giants, and people we've met, places we've been. KM: Do you ever plan on releasing those? Maybe the They Might Be Giants Coffee Table Book? JL: That would be the thing to do, yeah, at some point. KM: After listening to a song like "They Got Lost," I'm sure you've got some interesting somethings that have happened on the road. Have you got any strange or frightening stories from the road? JL:Well. . . Strange, yes. Frightening, yes. Most of the interesting things that happened to us were pretty early on. We used to try to crash on peoples' floor, before we were making enough money to stay in motels. And that was a really colorful period. KM: I remember reading a story about that. JL: Our manager wrote a story while he was on the road. He kind of exaggerathed some of the details, but he gave the basic idea of it. It was really freaky. You meet some of the most psycho people on earth when you ask an audience if there's somebody who's sofa you can crash on. So we're happy for Motel 6 and Holiday Inn. KM: So "They Got Lost" is kind of a fictional tale? JL: Well, it's sort of fictional and yet it's based on a horrible, continuing reality. When John and I are driving around, we tend to get lost pretty much every single show, in some small way. And then occasionally we've gotten really ridiculously lost. We once drove almost to Atlantic City when we were trying to get to Asbury Park (sp?) in New Jersey, and we drove about 100 miles further by accident. We got excited because there's this town called Cheesequake, and they have a a rest stop. It's been this routine when we're driving south on the Garden State Expressway that we stop in Cheesequake. So were were all screaming and yelling about Cheesequake, and we stopped there, and then we just kept driving, not noticing that we were already at the exit. KM: I guess that would do it to you... Cheesequake. JL: We just went nuts! KM: It'll make you go crazy. So, why did you decide to put out a live album, what was your motivation behind that? JL: Well, I dunno. That's one of those questions that makes me want to run to the corner and throw some furniture in front of me to protect myself, because I have no ready answer. I guess we had some new material, we are out of our Elektra deal, so we were able to cut an individual deal, and we had all these live recordings that seemed interesting. So we though it would be good to present a document of our live shows, which are very different from the studio recordings that we've made. We feel like at this point we've got something that we feel kind of proud of that we do live. KM: I was reading something that Flansburgh was talking about, how the sound has changed on a lot of those songs. It's almost like this is a cover album of your own material, because some of it sounds so different. JL: Some of it is, yeah. They're like oddball covers of They Might Be Giants Songs. And then of course it gave us the opportunity to throw in a lot of new material, and kind of mix it up. KM: Speaking of your Elektra deal, how is the hunt going for a new label? JL: Well, I haven't asked our manager yet, but it's looking like we're going to do something very low-key next year, like a one-off with a smaller record company. What that will be, we havent 100% nailed down, but I think we're going to hold off and see wether we can cook up a better deal for after that. It sort of depends on how things go with... you know... with things. [laughs] KM: So you're planning on having a studio album out in the next year, is that what that boils down to? JL: Yes. There will be a studio album next year. We haven't started working on it yet, but we've got a lot of songs, and we have the desire, and we have the inclination. And we need the money. KM: The driving force. JL: That's right. KM: Well, I've read a lot of interviews and stories about you, and seen a lot of your TV appearances as well, and it seems to always come up that people want to label you with some kind of adjective. Quirky keeps coming up, and I know you cringe at that. JL: yep. KM: And funny, and all that. So if I'm going to use and adjective in this story, I've been wracking my brain, what should I use to describe you? JL: Interesting. Dignified. Actually, people probably wouldn't identify us with dignified. That doesn't spring to mind. But we want to push the dignity thing. KM: Is that the whole goal of the Integrity Project? JL: Integrity Project, that's right. Artistic. I think that we've made a point of not begging people to take us seriously, and that's lead us down the garden path of being not taken seriously. So it's our cross to bear. KM: I can understand that. I would cringe if I got labeled like that all the time. I will not put the word quirky in the story, it won't be anywhere in there... Oh let's see. I'm lost. JL: That's alright. We should probably wrap up soon. [drawn-out selfish radio tag thing] JL: Hi this is John of they Might be Giants,and you're listening to the Bastard, on the Underground. KM: Thank You! Just one other quick question. Have you heard about the tribute album that's being put out by Matthew Ondrey? JL: No sir. KM: It's about to be released, it's not commercial or anything. it's completely .... JL: Below board KM: Yeah. Something on the line of 50 or 60 songs by people that aren't necessarily in bands- some of them are, some of them aren't. They've been working on it for several years. JL: Holy Moly KM: It should be out next month. JL: Great, where do I get my copy? KM: I believe they're going to be sending you a free copy, and you'll probably get one lobbed at you on stage by somebody. JL: I'm hope we get two free copies. KM: I'm hoping they will. They're releasing it on CD and DAT. JL: Great, well our lawyers will be getting in touch with them. No, that sounds great, it's very flattering. That sounds like it will be fun. KM: Well I hope you appreciate it, and I appreciate your time. And I hope that you manage to come to Oklahoma sometime soon. JL: Aren't we? Isn't that why I'm talking to you? We've got a show coming up in... KM: No, I'm afraid not. JL: No? Wait a minute. Now hold on! You're telling me we're not going to Oklahoma? I though we booked a show in Oklahoma! Jesus H Christ! Wait a minute, you know we did, there was a show. KM: There was, and you ended up playing in Arkansas instead. JL: Is that what it was? Oh, shit. Wait a minute. Wait a minute. Oh my god. Oh dear. Yeah we are. We're going up into the Great Lakes. We've got a show in. . . nope, no that's not near you. We've got a show in Atlanta, thats in the south. Geez, we had booked a show in Oklahoma, and I just assumed that was going to happen. KM: [joking] Well if you ever need to play here, you can crash at my place! JL: Well thanks dude, I'm sorry we can't. Well, tell everyone we'll be there next year, If I have anything to say about it. Which may or may not be the case. KM: Power to the John. JL: Right. KM: Well, I thank you for your time, and have a good show tonight. JL: Ok, thanks, uh , Kris. Nice talking to you. KM: Alright, thanks a lot. JL: See you around. KM: Ok, bye. [click] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199809261548.LAA11695@ussenterprise.ufp.org> From: "Kris Maxwell" Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 10:49:39 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Linnell Interview Howdy All, I finally got my Interview with John Linnell for my STD review in our college newspaper! It's been a while since i started working on it, and I can't believe its finally done. Anyway, i will post the transcript here in another message, and it will be posted on tmbg.net in both text and RealAudio. Check it totally out! If you have any feedback, questions, comments, criticisms, etc, feel free to email me. Thanks, Kris p.s. I apologize for the long post that the transcript will be, but i think it will be worth the read. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <004101bde969$5e0a1980$a3061ecf@default> From: "Green Jello" Subject: TMBG: A LITTLE TMBG/MOSTLY NOT: a little fun Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 12:18:52 -0400 >i would have to get mideval on their ass. that saying so lame >working at wal-mart has made me hate people. guns don't kill people, the government does. >blew their nose on tissues which they tossed on the floor yuck >another woman found it cool to breast feed her kid on a bench in my >department. that's cool! no baby should be forced to eat a restroom. I would NEVER eat in a restroom ESPECIALLY a Walmart restroom. I think that babies should be fed whenever and wherever they get hungry. That is in no way shape or form gross. If you truly feel it's gross, I recommend that, from now one, the only place your Walmart working butt eats a meal... is in a public restroom or in the privacy of your own home. See if you think that's cool. >a woman removed her tampon in the depatrment and threw it > in with some merchandise (i work in a slummy area). that's not a slummy area... you work in the ghetto! or some third world country? >an old man came up behind me, grabbed my ass and said, "is this on sale?" and you complain about breastfeeding???? what a whacked out world you live in. >when people play tricks to be funny, they are neglecting the fact that the >clerks (over worked and underpaid) have to deal with it >.... its just NOT FUNNY! depends on who's eyes you're looking through. me, I think it's kind of funny that you would continue to work there and take it. I say STAGE A STRIKE! All of the Walmart workers in the world should stand up and say "NO MORE USED TAMPONS ON MY MERCHANDISE!" and then I'd pack up and move out of the ghetto. >i'm currently working on a screenplay where an upset clerk gets insane and >kills each customer violently. see.... you need some help. you are getting close to Josh "Idiot of the Year 1998" Buckland status. please don't send us an email telling us that you commited some murder and the list winds up on Nightline as a group of insensitive people who wouldn't even call 911 when some idiot confessed to a crime online. We've had enough of that kind of crap. Find Josh and marry him, but please be considerate to the rest of the world and get sterilized. >***on a lighter note.....guess who's on the VIP guestlist for the 10-14 show >in boston!?!?!? backstage passes and an invite to a post show party w/the >giants!!!!!! i'll have to give a full report! did you pull the "I've only got 2 months to live", Brady Bunch/Different Strokes, maneuver to get these? :-) the list would be much appreciative of a detailed account Brother John Green Jello Who was decided to come out with all claws drawn with every stupid post, yet at least have some TMBG content in every post! Begging for forgiveness in advance from all of those how have looked upon me as a nice guy. I am, I just hate stupidity. ignorant: dumb, but can't help it stupid: dumb, without a good excuse ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 12:27:15 -0400 (EDT) From: Josh Axelrad Subject: TMBG: tmbg.net update - Real Audio Message-ID: A couple big updates to the tmbg.net page. 1.) I am happy to see people sending in recent setlists. Last night's set is already up...keep them coming! 2.) Kris Maxwell donated his two really cool interviews with Flans (from 1997) and Linnell from last week! They are up on the articles page in REAL AUDIO! Definitely check them out...more Real Audio to come... -- Jish TMBG.net and the EFnet #TMBG Home Page http://www.tmbg.net/ ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 00:31:54 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Bands YOU should like (at least I do) Message-ID: <19980925.005056.10294.5.gray42@juno.com> On Wed, 23 Sep 1998 18:58:04 -0700 (PDT) leonard helfgott writes: >UHF rules. also, who knows what cd the "Biggest Ball of Twine in >Minnesota" is on? >Cap'n Helfgott I mentioned this a LONG time ago, and I'll mention it again. I've seen UHF twice, and the second time I saw it, I noticed a Severe Tire Damage sign at the very begining of the movie. Mysterio Gal (sick and tired) "Little David is all grown up. Too bad for the cause of Good!" --Negativland MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 00:50:31 -0400 Subject: TMBG: blues clues Message-ID: <19980925.005056.10294.6.gray42@juno.com> Am I crazee, or is anyone else reminded of John Linnell when they see the funny, singing, dancing man on Blues Clues, I saw about 2 minutes of it, out of he corner of my eye, whilest at a friends house. Also keep in mind that I have not watched television for the last 2 years, and was utterly suprised to see that Nick Jr. time slot had extended into the evening. Mysterio Gal (ho hum, how times have changed) "Little David is all grown up. Too bad for the cause of Good!" --Negativland MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980926142541.006aa5dc@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 14:25:41 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: blues clues My cousins inexplicably think I look *exactly* like the guy from Blue's Clues. Nothing against him or anything, but I don't see the resemblance. Um, this has nothing to do with TMBG...sorry... :-P -Adam At 12:50 AM 9/25/98 -0400, gray42@juno.com wrote: >Am I crazee, or is anyone else reminded of John Linnell when they see the >funny, singing, dancing man on Blues Clues, I saw about 2 minutes of it, >out of he corner of my eye, whilest at a friends house. Also keep in >mind that I have not watched television for the last 2 years, and was >utterly suprised to see that Nick Jr. time slot had extended into the >evening. -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #10-24 ******************************