Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #10-27 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 10, Number 27 Wednesday, 30 September 1998 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Kumbaya Re: TMBG: i feel stupid Re: TMBG: guerrilla interview Re: TMBG: 50 fun things to do at Wal Mart -Reply Re: TMBG: guerrilla interview TMBG: tmbg at the chance, beatles thread Re: TMBG: guerrilla interview TMBG: Myers-Briggs and the Johns Re: TMBG: tmbg at the chance, beatles thread Re: TMBG: guerrilla interview Re: TMBG: Myers-Briggs and the Johns TMBG: Rarely Seen Photos TMBG: Re: 93.7 the Coast TMBG: I feel stuipd (where...) NON-TMBG: Beatles and Paul and Bass TMBG: how old are you all? TMBG: A LITTLE TMBG/MOSTLY NOT: a little fun -Reply NON TMBG: Fellow list member... hello? Re: TMBG: how old are you all? Re: TMBG: how old are you all? Re: TMBG: Myers-Briggs and the Johns TMBG: Re: They Might Be Down Under Re: TMBG: the last straw TMBG: NO: radiohead and radioplay, then maybe a littel ranting and rav TMBG: they were on a shooo-oooow Re: TMBG: A LITTLE TMBG/MOSTLY NOT: a little fun -Reply TMBG: extroverts/introverts... Re: TMBG: they were on a shooo-oooow Re: TMBG: how old are you all? TMBG: The REAL Dr. Worm Re: TMBG: how old are you all? Re: TMBG: how old are you all? Re: TMBG: Tape of the Drinking Bird cartoon (i.e. I gots me a copy) TMBG: Dream (again!) Re: TMBG: how old are you all? Re: TMBG: how old are you all? Re: TMBG: how old are you all? Re: TMBG: how old are you all? Re: TMBG: how old are you all? TMBG: Ages and such TMBG: new album Re: TMBG: they were on a shooo-oooow TMBG: Barrymore Review TMBG: Index Of DAS and Real Audio Re: TMBG: Index Of DAS and Real Audio Outdated-TMBG: Man O' The Century Re: Outdated-TMBG: Man O' The Century TMBG: Yesterday Re: Outdated-TMBG: Man O' The Century Re: TMBG: how old are you all? Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Stewart Russell 3295 Analyst_Programmer Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 09:20:33 +0100 (BST) Subject: Re: TMBG: Kumbaya Message-ID: <13840.38708.979082.651725@helmsdale> >>>>> "Kimberly" == Kimberly Turner writes: Kimberly> I'm new to the list too, only 3 days old. :) Welcome... Kimberly> They did Kumbaya at Kimberly> their recent show in St. Louis (Friday). It was an interlude at the Liberty, MO show too (was I the only one there?). A fun show, but strange. There was a mosh pit. John F stopped the show briefly when someone did a stage dive. A bit of People vs Apes, and the v. silly "You're older now than you've ever been". -- Stewart C. Russell Analyst Programmer, Dictionary Division stewart@ref.collins.co.uk HarperCollins Publishers use Disclaimer; my $opinion; Glasgow, Scotland ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 29 Sep 98 19:01:34 +1000 Subject: Re: TMBG: i feel stupid From: From: TMBGibs@aol.com To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org I feel really stupid, cause I am sitting here reading about everyones "exciting experences" at a TMBG concert, and I feel like im the only TMBG fan who has NEVER been to one of their concerts. Me Well you aren't the only one, I haven't been fortunate enough to catch TMBG in concert (they don't come out to Australia often). At the start of last year, when they did come out, the date that was posted on the internet for the Melbourne show was wrong. I organised to have my 21st the following day, so friends from interstate could come to the concert with me, and then when I went to get tickets, the date had been changed to the day I'd organised for my party. It's not fair. When are they coming back to the land of OZ?? Luke ------------------------------ From: ArwenAnaNg@aol.com Message-ID: <669544fb.3610de08@aol.com> Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 09:18:00 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: guerrilla interview In a message dated 9/28/98 11:35:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time, cherubino@rocketmail.com writes: > Enjoy. Enjoy??? How can I "enjoy" knowing that some annoying punk was making my beloved Flansy the butt of an endless string of "fat" jokes and then just continually harassing him with worthless bullshit? Flans was pretty cool about the whole thing, but that little asshole was out of line, and it's people like him that make the Johns want to stay as far away from the fans as possible! ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 13:34:44 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: 50 fun things to do at Wal Mart -Reply I agree, don't apologise. I thought it good enough to download and give to my daughter who thought it really funny - especially the bit about buying guns. Well I think it's the concept of being able to buy guns in a Wal Mart that is funny - or maybe I mean insane! I did edit out the bit about acting spastic however. Richard - from a country where the police still aren't armed >>> "KdsInThHal@aol.com" 26/September/1998 06:30am >>> In a message dated 9/25/98 6:26:58 PM, mirakul@concentric.net writes: >>please do not post this crappy stuff to a mailing list. thats generally > >>considered very rude. > >> >My apologies. don't apologize. yes, it was a fwd (which shouldn't be sent to the list), but it was no more off topic than the walmart thread, so. i found it funny. i think it's pretty safe to say that if you see a subject header that says "50 fun things to do at Wal Mart" and you don't want to read it - don't. ~sarah ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 08:47:10 -0500 (CDT) From: Kim Justice Subject: Re: TMBG: guerrilla interview Message-ID: On Tue, 29 Sep 1998 KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: > In a message dated 9/28/98 11:35:13 PM, cherubino@rocketmail.com writes: > >This was posted on another list I'm on (that isn't TMBG-related, go fig). > >> http://www.zug.com/zug/scrawl/tmbg/flans.html > > what list? The INTP list, a general discussion list for folks who identify with or are interested in the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI). INTP is one of the 16 types. There seems to be a high density of TMBG fans on the INTP list, curiously enough. It is suspected that a John is probably an INTP. Info at http://www.keirsey.com and http://www.intp.org -- and the book "Type Talk" (easy to find in bookstores) can serve as a nice intro as well. kj -- justicek@edge.net (Kim Justice) http://edge.edge.net/~justicek We are what you made us. -- Miri ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 10:35:53 +0100 From: beknowles@vassar.edu (Ben Knowles) Subject: TMBG: tmbg at the chance, beatles thread Message-id: <01J2DJ22L47600H78O@VASSAR.EDU> >Hey everyone, i'm brand spankin new to this list and am very excited to >hear more about the twin quasars of rock. So here is my first post. hey. >Last year i went to the TMBG for my first time in Poughkeepsie at the >chance. I was at that show! Did they rock or what??? the conga line going out of the pit and around the bar and back into the pit was so amazing, i can't even say. i ripped a hole in the crotch of my jeans at that show. >The show was unbeleivable, almost a religious experience for me. word. >Well they played a song that i haven't heard from them since, it was >Kumbaya, their own rockin version of it. One of the johns mentioned either >before or after the show that they planned on having it on their next >album. I mentioned that once on the list and got made fun of for it. Thank god somebody else was at that show, but I don't think anyone else on this list has heard of it (unless they ignored my original post about it). dude, you bring back good memories. welcome to the list. take care, ben PS. beatles thread: "i am the walrus" is a great experimental song - very well produced for the facilities they had at the time. do you think it's easy to come up with imagery like that? and for every "bad" john lennon song (there's no such thing, really) you've got paul's awful "why don't we do it in the road," "good day sunshine," and "fool on the hill." actually, i don't think any of those songs are really that bad, but they're definately not up to the beatles' standard, imho. in any case, it's ridiculous to generalize either the beatles, or their music. they had such an amazingly diverse range of styles, not only through their career (from "i want to hold your hand" to sgt. pepper in three years - now that's amazing), but at any particular time as well ("helter skelter" was on the same white album as "happiness is a warm gun" and "blackbird"). a lot of what i like about tmbg is the same kind of diversity of styles (from "boat of car" to "she's an angel" to "absolutely bill's mood" all on one album). *%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%* | | | "Every jumbled pile of person Ben Knowles - Vassar College | | has a thinking part that wonders beknowles@vassar.edu | | what the part that isn't thinking Physics - Astronomy | | isn't thinking of." - TMBG Photography Editor, Misc. | | | *%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%* ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <4549c76e.3610eff5@aol.com> Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 10:34:29 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: guerrilla interview >Are you familiar with something called the Meyers-Briggs Type Indicator? > ohhhh yes. in fact that was a big ol' thread here at some point... ~sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <007401bdebb8$4129a500$99061ecf@default> From: "Green Jello" Subject: TMBG: Myers-Briggs and the Johns Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 10:48:36 -0400 Last time on The Facts of Life, Kim Justice told Tootie: >The INTP list, a general discussion list for folks who identify with or >are interested in the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI). INTP is one of >the 16 types. There seems to be a high density of TMBG fans on the INTP >list, curiously enough. It is suspected that a John is probably an INTP. A John, you mean John Linnell. No way in the world would I ever agree that Flansy was an INTP. As an ENTJ myself, I see Flansy... first not everyone hear is familiar with this Myer-Briggs (Keirsey test) thing, so here is some background: The Myer-Briggs divides people into 16 categories based the 8 following options: Extroverted or Introverted E or I iNtuition or Sensing N or S Thinking or Feeling T or F Judgement or Perceiving J or P Their are 16 choices and after a questionnaire they put you into a category based on your answers. They have a system of naming the types: Guardians Supervisor ESTJ Inspector ISTJ Provider ESFJ Protector ISFJ Artisans Promoter ESTP Operator ISTP Performer ESFP Composer ISFP Idealists Teacher ENFJ Counselor INFJ Champion ENFP Healer INFP Rationals Fieldmarshal ENTJ Mastermind INTJ Inventor ENTP Architect INTP From my telling you that I was an ENTJ, you can see that I'm considered in the Rationals group. I definitely agree that John L. (ok, we don't REALLY know him, but we know what he shows us) comes across as an I, but I would say that he SEEMS to fall into to the ISTJ category or the INTJ category. I think that the N or S category is almost to hard to know without REALLY knowing someone and then it's vague. John F. on the other hand SEEMS (again we see a showman, not the living room John) to be quite Extroverted, very Feeling orientated and Judgement orientated. So I'll call him an ESFJ or an ENFJ. Again the N or S is unknown to me. If we use the common theory that the writer of the song is the main singer, (plus side project info like Mono Puff and State Songs/Mayors) this helps us to see that Linnell writes the witty and profound lyrics and Flansy writes the ones that endear us to Them. Maybe this is my own perception but I've talked with many who agree with me. Linnell uses dates, times, places and uses these to make us think humorously on things we wouldn't normally think about. Flansburgh makes us laugh, love, and feel with the occasional political or moral reference. Brother John Green Jello my $0.02 ------------------------------ From: Phil Jackson Message-Id: <199809291540.LAA14555@angels.heaven.net> Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg at the chance, beatles thread Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 11:40:18 -0400 finally someone else who knows the beauty of Kumbaya...did they say that they planned to have it on their next album? or am i just making things up...by the way are you going to any other shows anytime soon?? Yeah that conga line did kick...I lost my place right in front of Linnel but it was worth it. Eric Jackson ---------- > From: Ben Knowles > To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org > Subject: TMBG: tmbg at the chance, beatles thread > Date: Tuesday, September 29, 1998 5:35 AM > > >Hey everyone, i'm brand spankin new to this list and am very excited to > >hear more about the twin quasars of rock. So here is my first post. > > hey. > > >Last year i went to the TMBG for my first time in Poughkeepsie at the > >chance. > > I was at that show! Did they rock or what??? the conga line going out of > the pit and around the bar and back into the pit was so amazing, i can't > even say. i ripped a hole in the crotch of my jeans at that show. > > >The show was unbeleivable, almost a religious experience for me. > > word. > > >Well they played a song that i haven't heard from them since, it was > >Kumbaya, their own rockin version of it. One of the johns mentioned either > >before or after the show that they planned on having it on their next > >album. > > I mentioned that once on the list and got made fun of for it. Thank god > somebody else was at that show, but I don't think anyone else on this list > has heard of it (unless they ignored my original post about it). > > dude, you bring back good memories. welcome to the list. > > take care, > ben > > PS. beatles thread: "i am the walrus" is a great experimental song - very > well produced for the facilities they had at the time. do you think it's > easy to come up with imagery like that? and for every "bad" john lennon > song (there's no such thing, really) you've got paul's awful "why don't we > do it in the road," "good day sunshine," and "fool on the hill." actually, > i don't think any of those songs are really that bad, but they're > definately not up to the beatles' standard, imho. > > in any case, it's ridiculous to generalize either the beatles, or their > music. they had such an amazingly diverse range of styles, not only through > their career (from "i want to hold your hand" to sgt. pepper in three years > - now that's amazing), but at any particular time as well ("helter skelter" > was on the same white album as "happiness is a warm gun" and "blackbird"). > > a lot of what i like about tmbg is the same kind of diversity of styles > (from "boat of car" to "she's an angel" to "absolutely bill's mood" all on > one album). > > *%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@% * > | | > | "Every jumbled pile of person Ben Knowles - Vassar College | > | has a thinking part that wonders beknowles@vassar.edu | > | what the part that isn't thinking Physics - Astronomy | > | isn't thinking of." - TMBG Photography Editor, Misc. | > | | > *%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@% * > > [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980929160920.11709.rocketmail@web4.rocketmail.com> Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 09:09:20 -0700 (PDT) From: Danielle Gaither Subject: Re: TMBG: guerrilla interview ---ArwenAnaNg@aol.com wrote: > > In a message dated 9/28/98 11:35:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time, > cherubino@rocketmail.com writes: > > > Enjoy. > > Enjoy??? How can I "enjoy" knowing that some annoying punk was making my > beloved Flansy the butt of an endless string of "fat" jokes and then just > continually harassing him with worthless bullshit? First of all, the "enjoy" was a bit tongue-in-cheek. No, I don't think it was funny that the guy made fun of Flans's weight. But I thought it might be an interesting thing to read. And if you click around, there actually is a pretty good article about STD. That you actually *can* enjoy in good conscience. :) > Flans was pretty cool about the whole thing, but that little asshole was out > of line, and it's people like him that make the Johns want to stay as far away > from the fans as possible! I think he understood that this was just one weirdo. Notice he was very nice to the other people there. Flans is truly a class act; I wish there were more like him. Cowering behind the furniture now, Inspector Over the Mine == http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/1054/index.html "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you." --Nirvana _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980929163216.29599.rocketmail@web1.rocketmail.com> Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 09:32:16 -0700 (PDT) From: Danielle Gaither Subject: Re: TMBG: Myers-Briggs and the Johns ---Green Jello wrote: > Last time on The Facts of Life, Kim Justice told Tootie: > >The INTP list, a general discussion list for folks who identify with or > >are interested in the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI). INTP is one of > >the 16 types. There seems to be a high density of TMBG fans on the INTP > >list, curiously enough. It is suspected that a John is probably an INTP. > > A John, you mean John Linnell. Yes. > No way in the world would I ever agree that > Flansy was an INTP. As an ENTJ myself, I see Flansy... Flans is much too extraverted to be an I anything. > From my telling you that I was an ENTJ, you can see that I'm considered in > the Rationals group. I definitely agree that John L. (ok, we don't REALLY I, too, am a Rational: an INTP with occasional INTJ leanings. > know him, but we know what he shows us) comes across as an I, but I would > say that he SEEMS to fall into to the ISTJ category or the INTJ category. I ISTJ? Ooh. Not that there's anything wrong with ISTJ's, but I don't think it fits. First of all, ISTJ's (and SJ's in general, for that matter) tend to go into much more traditional occupations. Anyone who's read up on the earlier years knows a sampling of the jobs Linnell held before he became a musician full-time. Not exactly respectable office work. > think that the N or S category is almost to hard to know without REALLY True, but if you can pin down some of the other letters, it becomes easier. For example, I can't necessarily tell you if someone is just an N or S, but I can tell you if someone fits closer to, say, INTP or ISTP. > knowing someone and then it's vague. John F. on the other hand SEEMS (again > we see a showman, not the living room John) to be quite Extroverted, very > Feeling orientated and Judgement orientated. So I'll call him an ESFJ or an Extraverted? Definitely. Feeling? Maybe. It would be close. I'm a little curious as to where you get the Judging, though. > the writer of the song is the main singer, (plus side project info like Mono > Puff and State Songs/Mayors) this helps us to see that Linnell writes the > witty and profound lyrics and Flansy writes the ones that endear us to Them. I don't know about that. A lot of the songs that really turned me on to Them were Linnell creations. But it's probably a little different for everybody. > Maybe this is my own perception but I've talked with many who agree with me. > Linnell uses dates, times, places and uses these to make us think humorously > on things we wouldn't normally think about. Yeah, but it's in kind of an unusual way. A lot of times these objects serve as symbols and metaphors for something else, whereas it's easier to take most of Flans's songs at face value. > Flansburgh makes us laugh, > love, and feel with the occasional political or moral reference. Everyone has a feeling side, even if their preference is for thinking. Linnell has done songs that (to me, anyway) are very emotionally powerful. > Brother John Green Jello > my $0.02 Hadn't planned on turning this into a thread, Inspector Over the Mine == http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/1054/index.html "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you." --Nirvana _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 15:13:29 -0500 From: Lex Friedman Subject: TMBG: Rarely Seen Photos Thought some of you out there might be interested in seeing two TMBG professional-quality photos. There's one of each Quasar of Rock, just find the TMBG section on http://home.earthlink.net/~rach/photo.htm. -Lex "You said love was just a lie, But I could tell that you were lying." -They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ From: LinnellLvr@aol.com Message-ID: <23113019.361129fc@aol.com> Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 14:42:04 EDT Subject: TMBG: Re: 93.7 the Coast I too live in Virginia Beach, and I have never heard *anything* by TMBG on any radio station!! Argh. Well, if the Coast has TMBG, more power to them! They're my favorite station to begin with, and now I like them even more! Leslie ------------------------------ From: TMBGibs@aol.com Message-ID: <1505f354.36112f9c@aol.com> Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 15:06:04 EDT Subject: TMBG: I feel stuipd (where...) I am from NY ------------------------------ Message-ID: <361131B8.E9BD5D73@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 14:15:04 -0500 From: Chad Maloney Subject: NON-TMBG: Beatles and Paul and Bass Josh Buckland wrote: > He's an idiot? Agreed. Paul and his friends rule? Once again, agreed. > Listen folks, name all of the bass players that you know, who actually > MADE it BIG.Dammit people, George had lead, John had rythm, Ringo even > had the goddamned DRUMS! But Paul... Paul had bass, one of the HARDEST > instruments to hear in a group! Look at me replying to Buckland again. And this time, I sorta agree with him, but most people will agree when someone is talking about liking the Beatles. But saying the bass is one of the hardest instruments to hear in a group is pretty funny. There's a blanket statement. The point of any instrument isn't to be heard, it is to contribute to the song as a whole. Paul McCartney is cited by many many big name bassists as a major influence. That is really high praise for a rock guitarist. Don't play Paul off because he played bass and you don't. Personally, I hear the bass more than the guitar work because I'm a bass player and that's what my head picks out of the mix. Drums come next and then the fluttery crap on top of it (that's a biased rhythm section boy talking there *grin*)... - Chad ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199809291833.OAA21471@angels.heaven.net> From: " Eric " Subject: TMBG: how old are you all? Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 14:32:19 -0400 just a question from me...what is the average age of everyone here?? ~Eric "Action" Jackson~ [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 18:22:26 +0000 Subject: TMBG: A LITTLE TMBG/MOSTLY NOT: a little fun -Reply Hate to say it but I think Josh is already married.......... Richard you need some help. you are getting close to Josh "Idiot of the Year 1998" Buckland status. We've had enough of that kind of crap. Find Josh and marry him, but please be considerate to the rest of the world and get sterilized. ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 15:19:21 -0400 Subject: NON TMBG: Fellow list member... hello? Message-ID: <19980929.160043.10054.1.gray42@juno.com> Ummmm, is James Trekee (sp?) out there, if so, please contact me, immediate messaging will be appreciated :) Mysterio Gal (Claire) "Little David is all grown up. Too bad for the cause of Good!" --Negativland MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@nThHal.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 16:23:04 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: how old are you all? >just a question from me...what is the average age of everyone here?? i'm 17. *sarah ------------------------------ From: Tmbg4life@aol.com Message-ID: <182c48f3.361141f3@aol.com> Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 16:24:19 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: how old are you all? i am 15 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000801bdebd5$8ce32620$66c708d1@idiotnot.visi.net> From: "S. Bergeron" Subject: Re: TMBG: Myers-Briggs and the Johns Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 14:18:23 -0400 :> know him, but we know what he shows us) comes across as an I, but I would :> say that he SEEMS to fall into to the ISTJ category or the INTJ category. I :ISTJ? Ooh. Not that there's anything wrong with ISTJ's, but I don't think it :fits. First of all, ISTJ's (and SJ's in general, for that matter) tend to go :into much more traditional occupations. Anyone who's read up on the earlier :years knows a sampling of the jobs Linnell held before he became a musician :full-time. Not exactly respectable office work. Well, the exception proves the rule. I'm an INTJ...almost pure score. I turned down all sorts of scholarships after high school, and joined the Chair Force because I wanted to be a disc jockey. That worked okay for awhile; I'm now barely making ends meet working in television, and going to school full time. Broadcast media is probably an even more uncertain business than music. Jack Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net bluedawg@tmbg.org "Someday, somebody else besides me will call me by my stage name."--Doctor Worm http://www.tmbg.org/~bluedawg/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980929171304.29603.rocketmail@send201.yahoomail.com> Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 10:13:04 -0700 (PDT) From: Kimberly Turner Subject: TMBG: Re: They Might Be Down Under After the St. Louis show I talked to Flans. I told him that I am moving to Sydney, Australia (I'm in Missouri now) for grad school in February and I would miss Their shows more than most things in the states. In fact, I told him I thought that might be my last one for a while and I was a bit sad. He said not to worry though because they're starting their Australia tour in March!! So Luke, and anyone else who's interested, that's your answer. He said, "Yeah, we're big down under." I'm so excited. I've followed them for over 10 years and was so distraught at the possibility of not seeing them again for years at a time. Life is complete. I'm gonna pack my bags. *****KIMBERLY*********** "My apartment looks upside down from there. Water spirals the wrong way out the sink." > Well you aren't the only one, I haven't been fortunate enough to catch > TMBG in concert (they don't come out to Australia often). At the start > of last year, when they did come out, the date that was posted on the > internet for the Melbourne show was wrong. I organised to have my 21st > the following day, so friends from interstate could come to the concert > with me, and then when I went to get tickets, the date had been changed > to the day I'd organised for my party. It's not fair. When are they > coming back to the land of OZ?? _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: Jeremy Skrenes Subject: Re: TMBG: the last straw Message-ID: Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 16:17:49 -0500 as far as the list quality goes, i too only read a fraction of the messages, but who cares. the interview with linnell was well worth whatever tangent was being covered by wal mart (i haven't read any posts with wal mart in the subject and rarely read non tmbg posts). that's where the delete button comes in handy. the big issue i've heard with the beatles is 'did they know what they were doing?' as if it somehow would make them more talented if they knew they were changing keys in the middle of the song, or had really really planned the staggered vocals in 'help.' but the bottom line is that they changed rock and roll forever. in fact, they may have saved it. it was just about dead in the states as a musical style, and the band had heard some rock albums from america that were a few years old. when they came to america, the assumed everybody would be playing rock, and very few were. their success was integral in bringing rock back. how does this relate to tmbg? i think that in a few years, if not now, serious music critics are going to start asking if those really bizzare songs like toddler highway, cowtown, spider, and songs about pop music like hey mr dj were written 'on purpose,' and whether it makes a differnce. oh, and in defense of dave grohl, the guy is amazing. you try sitting at the drums and using the bass, snare, and hi hat all at once and see how complicated it is, then listen to the crazy stuf he plays. i'm going to now leave you to argue about whether or not you argue about wal mart, iq, and penis size. j * ----------------------------------------- Jeremy Skrenes Email: Jeremy.Skrenes@valpo.edu Valparaiso University ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199809292117.RAA21463@pop.snet.net> From: "dext182" Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 19:50:29 +0000 Subject: TMBG: NO: radiohead and radioplay, then maybe a littel ranting and rav let me just say... other than tmbg, radiohead is another one of my favorite groups. now. they aren't really mainstream at all. nope. sure, once in a while you hear Creep. big whoop. and they played maybe high and dry and fake plastic trees for a week each, tops. and karma police was played about a total of 3 times on the radio station here... but then again, why does it matter??? if a band is good, then it really is of little or no importance if they're what everyone on this list or even this state or country or world considers "mainstream". thats why it ticks me off sooooo much to hear people putting down bands merely because more than 50 people like them, therefore they're popular and evil. recently it's become "cool" to NOT be popular or "mainstream", and thats equally as stupid to not liking something because they ARE popular. it's awful. i mean, if TMBG were to suddenly become all famous and loved by every hormonal 13-year-old girl like say, the backstreet boys, i wouldn't like them any less. i would wonder what on earth is happening and maybe suspect mass food poisoning of the middle schools, but I would still know that They're a great band and all that, so it wouldn't matter. phew. with that said and done, let me say that i do like to dance because it's fun and i don't CARE if i look foolish. i spend 99.9% of my life looking stupid anyway, so why stop now??? ~jen~ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199809292117.RAA21583@pop.snet.net> From: "dext182" Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 19:56:54 +0000 Subject: TMBG: they were on a shooo-oooow hey hey hey. i'm so very excited. sunday night at some wierd time when i was sleeping but was supposed to be awake to tape it, TMBG were on some show on the radio and it was wonderful... although i accidentaly slept through it, my sister managed to tape it and i'm forever greatful for that. they talked a while and played dr. worm, older, uh... istanbul, james k. polk, and they got lost. (not in that particular order). wonderful wonderful. i'm just waiting for them to come here... maybe i can talk my sister into taking me... jeeee-eeeesssss... hint hint... oh dearest sister of minneeeeee..... jen ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 15:37:01 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: A LITTLE TMBG/MOSTLY NOT: a little fun -Reply Message-ID: <19980929.154511.11238.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> >just a question from me...what is the average age of everyone here?? heh, we must have a newbie here... didn't this thread go around like a month ago? >Hate to say it but I think Josh is already married.......... i thought we figured he was somewhere between the ages of 13 and 22... or something dumb like that... now, i'm not putting it past a 22yo to be married but come on, a 13yo, much less a 22yo as immature as Josh, married? take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 15:45:04 -0600 Subject: TMBG: extroverts/introverts... Message-ID: <19980929.154511.11238.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> hEY hEY! okay so i was just skimming all the mail on the whole extrovert vs. introvert (flans vs. linnell) thread and then i hit an e-mail i got from michael shelley (for all you spacey kiddies, he's on tour with TMBG right now)... >As far as the Giants, I think John L. >is >SHY, and I've seen John F. stand outside on the street after a show >and >sign autographs for an hour. It must be weird for them to have so many > >serious fans. I wish for it, but I'm not sure how I'd handle it. anyways... if this thread is at all similar to the ones from the past... :P take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 15:38:42 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: they were on a shooo-oooow Message-ID: <19980929.154511.11238.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> it's called Modern Rock Live... try reading all the messages posted to the list (as there were approximately 10 messages regarding MRL in the past 4 days) before you repeat something. other things regarding shows... check www.tmbg.net or a bootleg traders page as they typically will be listed there... and if they're listed there... people know about 'em. take it easy, JOrdaN, sorry, i'm a bitch. http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html On Mon, 28 Sep 1998 19:56:54 +0000 "dext182" writes: >hey hey hey. i'm so very excited. sunday night at some wierd time >when i was sleeping but was supposed to be awake to tape it, TMBG >were on some show on the radio and it was wonderful... although i >accidentaly slept through it, my sister managed to tape it and i'm >forever greatful for that. they talked a while and played dr. worm, >older, uh... istanbul, james k. polk, and they got lost. (not in that >particular order). wonderful wonderful. i'm just waiting for them to >come here... maybe i can talk my sister into taking me... >jeeee-eeeesssss... hint hint... oh dearest sister of minneeeeee..... > > > jen > ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: TMBGibs@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 17:55:29 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: how old are you all? Im too old (not really!) ------------------------------ From: TMBGibs@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 17:59:28 EDT Subject: TMBG: The REAL Dr. Worm I dunno how many of you out there know this, but there is a REAL Dr. Worm out there. His name is Dr. Herbert Worm. He's some german science (sp?) guy. I have a picture of him! Me "...her life in a nutshell..." -BNL ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: how old are you all? Message-ID: <19980929.181510.10319.0.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A Klein) Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 18:16:40 EDT 16 Derek "Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age" ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 17:27:17 -0500 From: Jason Arnold Subject: Re: TMBG: how old are you all? 21 Jason Arnold ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 14:02:14 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Tape of the Drinking Bird cartoon (i.e. I gots me a copy) Message-ID: <19980929.140616.6454.1.Mr.Train@juno.com> On Mon, 28 Sep 1998 21:09:07 -0400 gray42@juno.com writes: >May I suggest sending it to Russ Josephson so he can add it to the >bootleg vidios, unless it's not TMBG enough? I suggested this happen >earlier, and I'll suggest it again. This is definately TMBG video bootleg 4 material... CAMBOT: send it to Russ right away! I think this is the address... but if it's not.. it has something to do with TMBG so check it out anyway! Russ, if this is not your URL... give cambot your address... http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/7158/tmbg.htm Tim Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) > Mysterio Gal (why do I feel like I'm living in Ayn Rands "Anthem") >"Little David is all grown up. Too bad for the cause of Good!" >--Negativland >MST3K#88182 >gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The >Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 18:07:33 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Dream (again!) Message-ID: <19980929.181945.10054.5.gray42@juno.com> Last night I had a dream that I was spending an evening with the Johns (I guess after a concert or something). It was a group thing containing, me, the Johns, and another couple (that I did not know). We were traveling around Sarasota visiting Restaurants, Gas Stations, and Movie Theatres, checking out the local scene. I seemed to be tagging around close to Linnell the whole time, acting all oggly. I remembered that John and John liked coffee, so I suggested we all go to a nice Coffee Shop. They seemed to like the idea, so we went. We stood outside, waiting to get a table. The Walls were painted a kind of pastel brick red, and there were several potted plants around. The place was lit with a solitary overhead streetlight. I remembered my special coffee cartoon, and I wanted to show it to them, whilst explaining the cartoon in my special kawfee voice. But for some reason, every time I tried to say "KAWFEE," it came out as a voiceless cough. I was so upset about not being able to say my favorite word, that I totally forgot about finding my picture. We were sent to our booth table. All five of us sat down; I got a chair at the end of the table. John and John sat opposite each other closest to the wall. The couple were a man and woman. The man, who looked like Francis Johnson, was seated on Linnel's side. The woman, who looked suspiciously like a depressed (tho' I must say she didn't seem depressed in my dream) fictional woman that I drew a really long time ago, sat next to Flansburgh. Flansie, and the couple left, and I was alone with Linnell, who at the moment, had big eyes, it seemed (not freakishly big). He pulled up a chair next to me (tho' he didn't have to cosidering the completely empty booth seats), and said, "From the way you've been acting tonight, it's apparent that you have some sort of crush on me." He seemed to be using a sort of harmless conversation attitude. I was totally shocked that he could tell, and simply nodded my head and stuttered "yeah'" to him. All of a sudden Flansburgh and the couple returned, and the woman repeated the same exact thing to me that Linnel had, and started hysterically laughing. I was just plain shocked, and could not cope. Once again, I was separated from both Johns by the couple, and I watched as the four people engaged in team arm wrestling. For some reason, the woman left, and Flansburgh was by himself. I was beakoned to join in, but I was extremely shy, and tried to explain to them that I was a very weak person. The dream ended. Mysterio Gal (why do I feel like I'm living in Ayn Rands "Anthem") "Little David is all grown up. Too bad for the cause of Good!" --Negativland MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 18:23:50 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: how old are you all? Message-ID: <19980929.184331.10054.7.gray42@juno.com> I just turned 18 a little over a month ago :D Mysterio Gal (why do I feel like I'm living in Ayn Rands "Anthem") "Little David is all grown up. Too bad for the cause of Good!" --Negativland MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 19:10:21 -0500 (CDT) From: Gojira Subject: Re: TMBG: how old are you all? Message-Id: I am 19, turn 20 in November. Chris Cornell http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Mezzanine/9993/ On Tue, 29 Sep 1998, Eric wrote: > just a question from me...what is the average age of everyone here?? > ~Eric "Action" Jackson~ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980929201111.007ab980@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 20:11:11 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: how old are you all? At 07:10 PM 9/29/98 -0500, Gojira wrote: >I am 19, turn 20 in November. Frighteningly enough, I'm in the same situation. :> -Adam, 11/17/78... :> -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 20:13:10 -0400 From: Destin Berthelot Subject: Re: TMBG: how old are you all? Message-id: <36117796.5EBF@rollins.edu> This thread comes up way too often, and I generally ignore it... but this counts as extenuating circumstances, since I'm 21 as of today... so there you go. :) -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Destin Berthelot | "All persons, http://fox.rollins.edu/~dberthelot/ | living or dead, | are purely They Might Be Giants Visual Discography: | coincidental." http://members.xoom.com/theymightbe/ | -Kurt Vonnegut ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ From: WeepDay@aol.com Message-ID: <28eb6613.36117d2a@aol.com> Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 20:36:58 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: how old are you all? <> I'm 22...... Alias Athena~ --------------------- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <004901bdec0d$0fd9bda0$5a228a81@refund.rcn.nmt.edu> From: "Refund" Subject: TMBG: Ages and such Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 18:55:46 -0600 I'm older than I've ever been, and now I'm even older. Heh...sorry... I'm 19, turning the big 2-0 in June of next year. Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the state of New Mexico. The effect? I'll tell you what the effect is! It's pissing me off! Ghostbusters, the Movie. P.S. Visit www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Amphitheatre/5550/ The first Julie Plug tribute page in HISTORY!!! :0) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199809300058.UAA07598@angels.heaven.net> From: " Eric " Subject: TMBG: new album Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 20:57:41 -0400 Hey there, I was just on the http://www.tmbg.net page and saw in the news section that they are working on a new studio album for 99!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait. just thought you'd all like to know that. ~Eric "Action" Jackson~ [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 17:41:39 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: they were on a shooo-oooow Message-ID: <19980929.174347.11238.6.TMBgirl@juno.com> grr... i would just like to publicly apologize (and spend more time on the soap box) for that message. just trying to remind everyone that i'm a bitch but uhm, it was seriously rough... especially (as the point was made) with the fact that i, myself, am the queen of pointless posts. (and damn proud!) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: PROFITEERS@aol.com Message-ID: <8d20fa4f.36118d5c@aol.com> Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 21:46:04 EDT Subject: TMBG: Barrymore Review Yes, as always I attend the infamous Barrymore to see the beloved Giants, I was apprehensive after seeing some of those reviews a few weeks back but wow, they really shocked me. Powerful with the dual guitar attack. The 2 Johns and the 3 Dans really looked to be having fun! Lots of old/obscure tracks, just a lot of fun!! Setlist..... BARRYMORE THEATER, Madison, WI 9-28-98 Theme from Severe Tire Damage *Dr. Worm New York City *Whistling in the Dark *Famous Polka Working undercover for the MAN *Mammal Ana NG (w/ the 'Where is my eyeball' intro) She's Actual Size Battle for the Planet of the Apes (PEOPLE WON!) They got Lost (somwhere between Lake Monona & Lake Mendota!) Older Your Racist Friend *She's an Angel Spy (w/ bonus song Hey Mr Tambourine Man!! & Let it Be) After Hours Party at the Insect Hospital WINDOW Pet Name Exquisite Dead Guy S E X X Y Shoehorn x2 (played second time as if scanning on a cd player, hilarious!!) Birdhouse James Knox Polk WDTSS?? -----encore 1--------- Lie Still Little Bottle *Particle Man (Total Eclipse of the Heart interlude) The Guitar (w/ lots of 70's funk jamming!) -----encore 2--------- Istanbul *Dr. Worm the tracks with the * are songs Linnell used the squeeze box! Really a great show, as always but pretty long too, 29 songs for about 105-110m. Wished for anything other than Dr. Worm the second time but they really zazzed it up singing "The Boys are back in Town" lyrics here and there. Cool, cool, cool, Todd VH ------------------------------ From: RabidChidl@aol.com Message-ID: <670a3e1f.3611919d@aol.com> Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 22:04:13 EDT Subject: TMBG: Index Of DAS and Real Audio I know someone posted the web address for the Index of DAS, but i lost it. Can someon repost it? Also, I'm having trouble with my Real Audio Player. If anyone can help me with it, e-mail me off the list at captainmarvel2@juno.com Thanks Derek "Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age" ------------------------------ From: Monotreme3@aol.com Message-ID: <91b7c4b2.36119731@aol.com> Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 22:28:01 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Index Of DAS and Real Audio http://www.tmbg.com/dial/sound Same as it ever was.... -Carey "Water flowing under ground." ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980930031753.8427.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: Outdated-TMBG: Man O' The Century Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 20:17:52 PDT Hey, My Friends and Listies!!!! Does anyone happen to know how "My Mate Flansy" (quote inspired by a song Listee Carla Stagles once sang to me) is doing in that "MAN O' CENTURY" thing? I bet by now, he's not even in it... Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com ICQ#: 17262308 contact me! http://profiles.yahoo.com/LeChuck/ "Well it's you and me and the bottle makes three tonight." -Big Bad Voodoo Daddy ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3611711B.6684@bgnet.bgsu.edu> Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 23:45:31 +0000 From: "K.C." Subject: Re: Outdated-TMBG: Man O' The Century Actually, I just voted for him a couple dozen times, and he's up to number, finally past Ghandi. -- K.C. Kless "...I am a snake head eating the head on the opposite side..." DocWorm@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3611718A.6BFA@bgnet.bgsu.edu> Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 23:47:22 +0000 From: "K.C." Subject: TMBG: Yesterday During the Beatles thread a while back, there was mention that Yesterday is one of the most covered songs ever... Has anyone ever covered the original "Scrambled Eggs" version? If not, the Johns should do it. Heck, even if someone has, they should do it anyways. -- K.C. Kless "...I am a snake head eating the head on the opposite side..." DocWorm@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <361171E1.605B@bgnet.bgsu.edu> Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 23:48:49 +0000 From: "K.C." Subject: Re: Outdated-TMBG: Man O' The Century He's up to number six (6) [VI]...I kinda forgot the number part on the last post. -- K.C. Kless "...I am a snake head eating the head on the opposite side..." DocWorm@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980930045010.2251.rocketmail@web1.rocketmail.com> Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 21:50:10 -0700 (PDT) From: Danielle Gaither Subject: Re: TMBG: how old are you all? --- Eric wrote: > > just a question from me...what is the average age of everyone here?? > ~Eric "Action" Jackson~ I am a whopping 22. Older than she's ever been (and now she's even older!), Inspector Over the Mine == http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/1054/index.html "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you." --Nirvana _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #10-27 ******************************