Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #10-4 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 10, Number 4 Friday, 4 September 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: The Age Thing Re: non TMBG: Nick shows Re: TMBG: covers and credit Re: Non-TMBG: Nightmare Nickelodean Re: TMBG: when you feel like a fossil Re: TMBG: Istanbul & Muppets TMBG: STD in the UK Fwd: TMBG: when you feel like a fossil Fwd: TMBG: when you feel like a fossil Re: TMBG: when you feel like a fossil Re: TMBG: when you feel like a fossil NONTMBG: You're younger than you've ever been... TMBG: ages.. TMBG: when you feel like a fossil -Reply Re: TMBG: when you feel like a fossil TMBG: Southern California Shows - Reply NON-TMBG: You can't do that... Re: TMBG: when you feel like a fossil Re: TMBG: when you feel like a fossil TMBG: Konnichiwa! Re: NON-TMBG: You can't do that... Re: TMBG: when you feel like a fossil RE: TMBG: when you feel like a fossil Re: TMBG: Re: The Age Thing Re: TMBG: when you feel like a fossil Re: TMBG: when you feel like a fossil Re: TMBG: when you feel like a fossil Re: Fwd: TMBG: when you feel like a fossil Re: TMBG: when you feel like a fossil TMBG: when you feel like a fossil TMBG: NONTmbg:HS Band(s) NON-TMBG: HS Band(s) Re: TMBG: NONTmbg:HS Band(s) TMBG: On The Drag! TMBG: i'm sorry!!!!! TMBG: To Cleveland Maybe? Re: TMBG: when you feel like a fossil Re: TMBG: when you feel like a fossil TMBG: Love, TMBG-style Re: TMBG: To Cleveland Maybe? Re: TMBG: To Cleveland Maybe? TMBG: Details, Details Re: TMBG: To Cleveland Maybe? Re: TMBG: Details, Details Re: TMBG: when you feel like a fossil Re: TMBG: Details, Details Re: TMBG: when you feel like a fossil TMBG: TMBG Re: TMBG: Details, Details TMBG: Non-TMBG (Please do not respond to this). Re: TMBG: Details, Details Re: TMBG: Details, Details Re: TMBG: Non-TMBG (Please do not respond to this). Re: TMBG: TMBG Re: TMBG: Non-TMBG (Please do not respond to this). Re: TMBG: TMBG Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: "Refund" Subject: TMBG: Re: The Age Thing Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 01:26:24 -0600 Message-ID: <000001bdd70c$2aae7e60$5a228a81@refund.rcn.nmt.edu> I'm 19.2507210079 years old at the time of the writing of this letter. Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the state of New Mexico http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Amphitheatre/5550/ The first Julie Plug tribute website in HISTORY!!! :0) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 02:49:09 -0500 (CDT) From: bill tatalovich Subject: Re: non TMBG: Nick shows Message-ID: On Wed, 2 Sep 1998 KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: > >Welcome Freshman. They really messed up that show by taking it from skits > >to story. > > merrrrrrrrv!! :D my friends made fun of me 'cause i loved merv so. ;P Merv most definitely ruled. And I agree with whoever said that Welcome Freshmen was screwed once they got rid of the skit format...I don't know why I liked that show, but I did. > loved today's special, pinwheel, picture pages picture pages, danger mouse, > don't just sit there (remember THAT?), double dare (marc summers was the first > celebrity i met ), and then around 6th grade it was clarissa, welcome > freshmen and pete and pete. Again, I loved Danger Mouse. I was so incredibly upset when they took that show off (did they put it back on? is that how everyone knows about it?)...Penfold ruled. Okay, interesting story about Marc Summers (Double Dare host). His real name is Mark Berkowitz (sp?), and he lived across from my mom's house when my mom was about fifteen and he was about five. Anyway, he annoyed my mom a whole bunch, and once he pissed in my mom's parents' house's basement. True story. Ah...the good ol' days. The Rev |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| | Reverend Bill Tatalovich | Home page: | | | http://students.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/ | | wt3@cec.wustl.edu | feedback for toddlers e-zine: | | personnel@kwur.wustl.edu | http://www.poboxes.com/fft/ | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 02:53:42 -0500 (CDT) From: bill tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: covers and credit Message-ID: On Wed, 2 Sep 1998, Bryan King wrote: > Hmmm.. I'm totally sure I'd agree with the below argument that istanbul > "is a tmbg song". For example, is "All Along the Watchtower" a Jimi > Hendrix song? I know a lot of people (even if they know the orginal is by > Dylan) say that it is, but I don't agree mainly b/c I place the most > importance on the lyrics. Especially when they're really good like in > AATW. I guess one could say the tmbg version of Instanbul is a tmbg song > though... if that makes any sense. Oooo! Ooooo! Good example! How about Alana Davis? I mean, she has the audacity to cover a damn fine Ani Difranco song ("32 Flavors," just in case you've been living in a cave). She changed some words, added some words, etc., so it's actually Davis's fault that the "cover" absolutely blows in comparison. Interesting side note...Difranco was asked about what she thought about Davis's cover, and she merely said (not an exact quote), "I was tricked into letting her use my song." 'nuff said. The Rev |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| | Reverend Bill Tatalovich | Home page: | | | http://students.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/ | | wt3@cec.wustl.edu | feedback for toddlers e-zine: | | personnel@kwur.wustl.edu | http://www.poboxes.com/fft/ | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ From: Stewart Russell 3295 Analyst_Programmer Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 10:43:12 +0100 (BST) Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Nightmare Nickelodean Message-ID: <13806.25335.763242.233152@helmsdale> >>>>> "Josh" == Josh Buckland writes: Josh> Yes, to me, DM Josh> and CD were the dark sides of Nickelodeon, and will always Josh> haunt me. Both were buy-ins from the respected British animation house Cosgrove Hall. Danger Mouse was redubbed for the American market; Baron Greenback's crow henchman was Italian (not Cockney) in the original. -- Stewart C. Russell Analyst Programmer, Dictionary Division stewart@ref.collins.co.uk HarperCollins Publishers use Disclaimer; my $opinion; Glasgow, Scotland ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199809031027.GAA28969@pop.snet.net> From: "dext182" Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 06:24:51 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: when you feel like a fossil ok. i officially feel super YOUNG. thus far, i appear to be the youngest, although i'm sure everyone is not quite finished replying... whoever was 15 was a close close second though... good race, but no cigar. that goes to me. the little 14 year old. almost 15. and no one will be babysitting for me, thankyou very much.... i'm an independant 14 year old, fyi. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 03 Sep 1998 07:07:26 +0000 From: Chris Combs Subject: Re: TMBG: Istanbul & Muppets Message-id: <3.0.5.16.19980903070726.35c7d844@entropy.muc.muohio.edu> >From: mr.train@juno.com >Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 09:36:59 -0400 >Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG sightings + CEIA (PIC!!) + past Nick shows >Message-ID: <19980902.093659.4918.0.Mr.Train@juno.com> > >Actually, the original version is slow and creeps along and they say >Constantinople differently.. this was definately the Johns sped up >version... I think this was the producers' response to the crusade on >this list to get the Johns on Muppet's Tonight... but who knows... How about this scenario: The rats sang Istanbul (Not Constantinople) on the Muppet Show in much the same way as they did on Muppets Tonight. Those of us who remember watching nothing else than the old Muppet Show also have the slow version of Istanbul engrained in our minds, leading to some blasphemous ideas when presented to the list (like my thoughts on first hearing TMBG's version: "my god, these idiots have ruined a perfectly good song! It doesn't even sound Turkish!"). /---------------------------------------------------------\ | Chris Combs aka "Often things you caught | | Piglet Goat Boy or bought were not the | | ones you sought." | | http://muc.muohio.edu/~goatboy/ -The Residents | \---------------------------------------------------------/ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199809031121.HAA22317@ussenterprise.ufp.org> From: "Phil Moss" Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 12:23:35 +0000 Subject: TMBG: STD in the UK Greetings from a sunny Liverpool! Just to say to all UK listies that I spent Bank Holiday in London and picked up STD for 15 quid in Tower Records, Piccadilly Circus. I imagine it's going to do the usual TMBG-thang and spread slowly outwards and upwards from the capital. I've had a couple of listens, love Dr Worm, but can't make my overall mind up yet. When I do, I'll bore you all with my thought :) Oh yeah, and I'm 28 and been with Them since Bird went to No.2 in the UK charts eight years ago. Cheers, Phil * ----------------------------------------- PHIL MOSS Marketing Officer Liverpool John Moores University p.n.moss@livjm.ac.uk ------------------------------ From: ArwenAnaNg@aol.com Message-ID: <8e3ea51d.35ee91e9@aol.com> Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 08:56:09 EDT Subject: Fwd: TMBG: when you feel like a fossil Well, I'm soon to be 29 in October. You? Arwen "older than I've ever been, and now I'm even older ..." AnaNg [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (message/rfc822)] [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (multipart/mixed)] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199809031310.VAA21543@vector.wantree.com.au> From: "Carla Stagles" Subject: Re: TMBG: when you feel like a fossil Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 21:08:08 +0800 20 last July.. any one want my measurements? carla ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199809031315.VAA22648@vector.wantree.com.au> From: "Carla Stagles" Subject: Re: TMBG: when you feel like a fossil Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 21:13:52 +0800 > > DAMN YOU PEOPLE ARE YOUNG!!! I FEEL LIKE A GODDAMNED BABYSITTER!!! > > And we're fairly certain that Josh is still in his single digit years ... at > most prepubescent. the mystery of josh's age WILL be discovered... come on listies, it's hardly TMBG related but it sure will be fun! let's add up the clues and see what our combined intelligence can come up with. (You Should Have Just Come Clean Josh!!) i know he did a Term Paper on Bill Gates.. but i don't know what a term paper is so that doesn't help me one bit... carla "if you're getting cotton mouth my mind is like an ocean" ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 09:30:31 -0400 (EDT) From: "Jason A. Glastetter" Subject: NONTMBG: You're younger than you've ever been... Message-ID: I'm 3 years old. I've been into the John's for about 30 years now... jason "not the king of pointless posts, but trying" glastetter Surprisingly we got electricity, & the next day we got conected to the web http://www.poingly.com because some music sucks more than others... ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980903093510.006ac404@pop.uky.edu> Date: Thu, 03 Sep 1998 09:35:10 -0400 From: Bryan King Subject: TMBG: ages.. Gee... hasn't this been a fun thread... I'm 21... "I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now" My Back Pages, Dylan the sfc ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 13:42:34 +0000 Subject: TMBG: when you feel like a fossil -Reply How old is everyone here? Over 40 but under 45 ~ and at this stage of my life I can't be bothered to be any more accurate! Richard ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35EEA62A.26B5@rica.net> Date: Thu, 03 Sep 1998 10:22:34 -0400 From: Joey Groah Subject: Re: TMBG: when you feel like a fossil > How old is everyone here? 22, newly shaven, lookin' 16. Joey, 32' inseam ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 03 Sep 1998 08:04:29 -0800 From: Bill Brock Subject: TMBG: Southern California Shows - Reply < Re: Jason's question to any Southern California fans: < Minus the location factor, which is the better venue for the < upcoming shows: The House of Blues or the Coach House? I haven't been to either location, so I've decided to go to both. I called each site and found out that the House of Blues (in Hollywood) has a dining room for dinner before the show, then you are herded into a standing room area with no seats for the concert. The Coach House (in San Juan Capistrano) said that they have tables and chairs for everyone, and that everyone calmly eats dinner and then listens to the concert. I asked what happens when people jump up and start dancing and the answer was something like, "Oh, we don't have problems like that." So, given the contrast in venues, I'm quite interested to see what happens. I don't know how big the halls are. It should be interesting to see how different the audiences are given the differences in the two locations. BTW, the Sunday concert (in San Diego) is part of a music festival called Street Scene, and there will be numerous bands there on a day long schedule. So we have a 3rd format to evaluate during Southern California's all TMBG weekend. They haven't been to SoCal in SoLong and now we have 3 shows in one weekend. p.s. Just wish I had my OMLT t-shirt to wear! It would have been a good way for the hard core to identify, infiltrate, associate and otherwise keep rocking til our heads fall off. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 12:41:07 -0400 (EDT) From: LN Subject: NON-TMBG: You can't do that... Message-ID: >umm.... fraid so... she WAS in fact on you can't do that... she was- >SURPRISE! alanis! i've seen it... funny as anything... > Hmmm, wierd, wich one was Alanis? She was also a helper on Double Dare, that I am sure of. Moose! Y'know, the ugly one that everyone always made fun of... No wonder she's so messed up now... sheesh! -=ellen=- ...on your left! ------------------------------ From: CajunGram@aol.com Message-ID: <750c04df.35eec794@aol.com> Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 12:45:08 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: when you feel like a fossil I'm 16 Graham ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 10:51:20 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: when you feel like a fossil Message-ID: i'm 21, going on 42... --jim kuemmerle, who just *had* to make the gratuitous HHGTTG reference... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980903165221.23448.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Mystery Cow" Subject: TMBG: Konnichiwa! Date: Thu, 03 Sep 1998 09:52:16 PDT ...Hi! Just joined the list about three days ago. Name's Chris, and I'm glorious 22. Been into They since seventh grade (bought Apollo 18 tape with my first paycheck!) and I watched the everloving F*** out of almost every Nick show that was on in my childhood--Pinwheel (did anyone else besides my brother and I play 'Gotcha last?'), Today's Special, Picture Pages, You Can't Do That on TV, Dangermouse (the previous two being the power hour for me, right before bedtime! And no one has mentioned Bananaman...), Out of Control ('That's Stupid!!' Anyone remember that?) being most formative. Also just got back from a year in Japan, so yoroshiku onegai shimasu! Did you know that there is a whole COUNTRY over there that has NEVER even HEARD of TMBG?! Also, the copy of Factory Showroom I bought there did NOT have 'Token Back to Brooklyn' on it! Is the track on later printings of the disc? And with that question I'm gonna run away and hide now. Chris "Son Go"Cruz ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 10:57:23 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: You can't do that... Message-ID: On Thu, 3 Sep 1998, LN wrote: > >umm.... fraid so... she WAS in fact on you can't do that... she was- > >SURPRISE! alanis! i've seen it... funny as anything... > > > Hmmm, wierd, wich one was Alanis? She was also a helper on Double Dare, > that I am sure of. > > Moose! Y'know, the ugly one that everyone always made fun of... > No wonder she's so messed up now... sheesh! nope! although that was my first thought too when i first heard that, her name on the show was "alanis". --jim kuemmerle, whose favorite character was always moose anyway... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980903165703.23294.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Sarah faye" Subject: Re: TMBG: when you feel like a fossil Date: Thu, 03 Sep 1998 09:57:02 PDT >>How old is everyone here? 18, to be 19 in 3 months.... sarah, the mighty faye "the weak and cowardly have no place in shuffleboard" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: "Halsted Mencotti Bernard" Subject: RE: TMBG: when you feel like a fossil Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 12:08:16 -0500 Message-ID: <000401bdd75d$70e925a0$7bdc0fd0@halsted.scott.net> | How old is everyone here? well, i originally was not going to answer this, since i didn't think it mattered much, and then i got distracted by the whole prospect of *anyone* going down on dave coulier, and how much i did not want to think about that but now would forever be haunted with that image the next time alanis or dave coulier or "you oughta know" is brought up, and it's a very good thing that those three subjects do not come up in conversation around me often ... okay. so. i'm twenty-five and a half (just past my half-birthday on august twenty-third, dontcha know), and i must admit that being twenty-five but looking seventeen has both its advantages and disadvantages. as a side note: i have been a fan of tmbg since the late eighties, and have yet to see them live. one of the drawbacks of moving to birmingham, alabama. hmph. anyway, thanks for reading, _halsted._ [ halsted@pobox.com ]-[ http://pobox.com/~halsted ]-[ icq 1275457 ] "i feel like i'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe." -- anonymous ------------------------------ Message-ID: <00bc01bdd75f$2c87bc80$68896fc6@kbrodbecremcen.ehhs.cmich.edu> From: "Kirsten Brodbeck" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: The Age Thing Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 13:20:39 -0400 I'm the ripe old age of eighteen, 'tho sometimes I think I must actually be somewhere in the toddler stages, 'cause soap bubbles hold way too much fascination for me. Kirsten /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ "And also, we're just not that good-looking." - John Flansburgh, TMBG kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu - Kirsten Brodbeck - AKA Crow ------------------------------ From: Coffeesgrl@aol.com Message-ID: <6c813130.35eeeae8@aol.com> Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 15:15:52 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: when you feel like a fossil i'm 17 and a senior in high school. ~alison ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 13:55:26 -0600 (MDT) From: Scot Westwood Subject: Re: TMBG: when you feel like a fossil Message-ID: How old is everyone ?? I'm 30 but my wife says I act like I'm 17 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980903204105.26096.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Mike McGuire" Subject: Re: TMBG: when you feel like a fossil Date: Thu, 03 Sep 1998 13:41:04 PDT I'm a little college kid at the University of North Texas! Woo-hoo, I'm almost 19! *Mike* >Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 21:48:33 -0400 (EDT) >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >From: Guido >Subject: TMBG: when you feel like a fossil >Reply-To: Guido > >Greetings. I couldn't help noticing what an interesting crowd is on this >list. What ages is everyone here, just out of curiosity? I see lots of young >subscribers, and I thot I'd see a few college kids, but I's just wondering. >How old is everyone here? > >~~ >Guido#1, Leader of All Guidos ** strader.12@osu.edu >http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/~strader >"The world is ours to drool over." >--A.E.Mazza, in provocation of her choice of major. > > ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980903214216.006cf300@cybnetonline.com> Date: Thu, 03 Sep 1998 16:42:16 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: Fwd: TMBG: when you feel like a fossil At 08:56 AM 9/3/98 EDT, ArwenAnaNg@aol.com wrote: >Well, I'm soon to be 29 in October. You? > 18 in about 26 days... LDB -- http://members.xoom.com/MaxxIda/ The Ultimate Maxx Webpage - The Maxx IDA (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980903175145.0090d360@EMail.Psu.Edu> Date: Thu, 03 Sep 1998 17:51:45 -0400 From: Jason Fickley Subject: Re: TMBG: when you feel like a fossil ><< DAMN YOU PEOPLE ARE YOUNG!!! I FEEL LIKE A GODDAMNED BABYSITTER!!! Okay, Joshy-boy, you said you watched Today's Special when you were 5. I did a little research and Today's Special aired beginning in 1981. These are the earliest episodes. They were cancelled and then brought back in 1984 and ran through 1987. This puts you between the ages of 15 and 22. Given the ages of most of the listees (I'm 18, by the way), it hardly seems that you are considerably older than any of us, let alone in a position to feel compelled to babysit us. Do yourself a favor and keep your mouth shut. Thank you and goodbye. --Jason-- "Standing in my yard where they tore down the garage to make room for the torn down garage" -- They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35EEDDBC.3EABECE1@tmbg.org> Date: Thu, 03 Sep 1998 18:19:43 +0000 From: Feeny Subject: TMBG: when you feel like a fossil [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (message/rfc822)] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35EEE29E.5DAE6B7E@tmbg.org> Date: Thu, 03 Sep 1998 18:40:33 +0000 From: Feeny Subject: TMBG: NONTmbg:HS Band(s) Hi, This only applies to people with a. Great knowledge of music b. someone who plays Baritone Horn/Euphionium, Trombone/valved Trombone, ect... I have been a freshman for all of three days now! Anywho, does anyone play baritone horn(concert band) and is in their schools Jazzy band? I have the option of playing the Valve Trombone, Trombone, or Trumpet(which I have not played since 7th grade) in Jazz band. Problem!! I play Treble clef, Trombone(s) are in Bass Clef!!! oh dear. Jazz band rehearsed today and I tried to play my Euphionium(baritone horn) but the music was to high and fast! Is the trombone easier? Is it hard to play Bass clef(after playing treble?) Thank you people! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35EF212B.58109242@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> Date: Thu, 03 Sep 1998 18:07:23 -0500 From: Chad Maloney Subject: NON-TMBG: HS Band(s) Feeny wrote: > I have been a freshman for all of three days now! Anywho, does anyone > play baritone horn(concert band) and is in their schools Jazzy band? I > have the option of playing the Valve Trombone, Trombone, or > Trumpet(which I have not played since 7th grade) in Jazz band. Problem!! > I play Treble clef, Trombone(s) are in Bass Clef!!! oh dear. > Jazz band rehearsed today and I tried to play my Euphionium(baritone > horn) but the music was to high and fast! Is the trombone easier? Is it > hard to play Bass clef(after playing treble?) Well, it doesn't take a great amount of musical knowledge to answer this for one thing. But anyways, I learned Treble clef and Tenor clef after growing up on bass clef. It wasn't too hard (Tenor clef was easier to learn than treble for me). You just have to do it and get used to it. If you normally play baritone (but treble clef baritone I assume), I'd go for the trombone. The mouth pieces are the same size and you'll be able to practice learning the bass clef using bass clef baritone music (along with the treble clef baritone music as a cheat sheet). The trombone and baritone have the same musical range, so that's a bonus too. The only reason there is no baritone is conventional jazz is because the trombone gets a better range of tones that fit more into jazz styles. Baritones get all the cool parts in concert band. I've played trombone, bass trombone, baritone, and tuba before settling in on the acoustic bass as my instrument of choice and learning basic piano to help my jazz skills. The trombone is a fun instrument. It's harder on the tongue cuz it needs more control with the slide. It's no alto sax, the easiest instrument... *grin* - Chad (who is 23) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 16:47:31 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: TMBG: NONTmbg:HS Band(s) Message-ID: you should be able to read bass clef. In case you can't, here's the basics. lines: g, b, d, f, a spaces: a, c, e, g, b ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980903195829.00697870@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Thu, 03 Sep 1998 19:58:29 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: On The Drag! On The Drag is up at http://www.dialasong.com/ -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 20:57:31 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <199809040057.UAA11054@mail2.uts.ohio-state.edu> From: Guido Subject: TMBG: i'm sorry!!!!! Ok, I started the inadvertant how-old-are-you thread. But I'm not ashamed. I'm glad that there are plenty of my-agers on here. I mean, wouldn't you be? Oh yeah, I guess so. We even have a 40-year-old and one dude(ette?) is 1000, so we're doing alright. I accept responsibility for watering down band-related content, flamed tho I may get. Here's my redemption: When I first heard of They, I decided to be cultured and went for several months trying to convince this girl to let me borrow her Flood. She finally remembered one day and brought it to rehearsal. So I made a tape and listened to it about 50 times a day for that summer, everywhere I went, becoming thoroly enculturified. This lasted into the following school year, and the one after that. Etc. Every girl I dated was forced to listen to it on the way to the movie or restaurant and on the way back, and wherever else we decided to gooooowwwwlet's evade that topic for the moment. Well, I was open to suggestions; the Johns didn't play that much of a role in my love life. Actually maybe they did. You see, the chick (I mean woman, of course) from whom I borrowed Flood was a hottie, and I went for half a year trying to hook up with her, only to be turned down in a very subtle and twisted way, damn her :). What I later found out to my relief was that she'd become a lipstick lesbian in college, and my ego bruises were vindicated somewhat. And STILL I have the Johns. Think of it. Reciprocal fan faithfulness -- all I've ever wanted in a band. So, has anyone else's romance scenes been affected by Giants? Don't be afraid to share. ~~ Guido#1, Leader of All Guidos ** strader.12@osu.edu http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/~strader "The world is ours to drool over." --A.E.Mazza, in provocation of her choice of major. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35EF1741.3EBB@bgnet.bgsu.edu> Date: Thu, 03 Sep 1998 22:25:05 +0000 From: "K.C." Subject: TMBG: To Cleveland Maybe? I heard an unconfirmed rumour that the Johns are coming to Cleveland on 10/7...can anyone out there verify it? K.C. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199809040204.KAA18948@vector.wantree.com.au> From: "Carla Stagles" Subject: Re: TMBG: when you feel like a fossil Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 10:02:37 +0800 > ><< DAMN YOU PEOPLE ARE YOUNG!!! I FEEL LIKE A GODDAMNED BABYSITTER!!! > > > Okay, Joshy-boy, you said you watched Today's Special when you were 5. I > did a little research and Today's Special aired beginning in 1981. These > are the earliest episodes. They were cancelled and then brought back in > 1984 and ran through 1987. This puts you between the ages of 15 and 22. this is good... we're narrowing it down here... but there must be a way to work it out to within a few YEARS... keep trying. We'll crack this nut. ;) carla ------------------------------ From: WeepDay@aol.com Message-ID: <682c10ca.35ef4cd9@aol.com> Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 22:13:45 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: when you feel like a fossil How old am I? I am 22, but I look about 16 or so, I get asked for ID for everything, even rated R movies......this can be good because since I look so young I'm not usually expected to act "mature"! Alias Athena~ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980904023433.19235.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Mystery Cow" Subject: TMBG: Love, TMBG-style Date: Thu, 03 Sep 1998 19:34:32 PDT In response to Guido #1, I'M personally kind of glad the age question got asked...nice way to come onto the list! ^_^ And as for They's relationships to my relationships, I've never really met a girl who knew anything about They outside of "Istanbul" or, at the very best, Flood. No, wait--there was that one girl, who claimed to be a TMBG fan, but she never had any of their albums, and thought NYCity was Their best song (NYCity is by another band called cub). Oh well; she was a DJ at my college radio station, and at least I got her to play "Till My Head Falls Off" and the Then version of "Which Describes How You're Feeling" on the air. And to digress even farther, said radio station has an identification advertisement that is recorded by the Johns! Thumbs up! Chris "Son Go"Cruz "I met your father once in a steel cage match. I wish you could have seen your OLD MAN, WEEPING like a WOMAN, after my patented piledriver. Yeah, your dad remembers me....OOOH YEEEEAAH!!!!!" -Leonard Ghostle, 'Space Ghost: Coast to Coast' ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 23:05:32 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: To Cleveland Maybe? Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 3-Sep-98 TMBG: To Cleveland Maybe? by "K.C."@bgnet.bgsu.edu > I heard an unconfirmed rumour that the Johns are coming to Cleveland on > 10/7...can anyone out there verify it? yup. according to Ticketmaster (www.ticketmaster.com), they're playing at a place called Odeon in Cleveland on October 7th at 8pm. I'm there. :) (wow, two shows in two days... I apologize in advance to all you jealous folks in places like England and Australia who would love to just see them once) Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Everything sticks until it goes away, * This space inadvertently And the truth is we don't know anything." -TMBG * left blank. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35EF5B86.557530C9@cannet.com> Date: Thu, 03 Sep 1998 23:16:22 -0400 From: Mike Blaser Subject: Re: TMBG: To Cleveland Maybe? K.C. wrote: > > I heard an unconfirmed rumour that the Johns are coming to Cleveland on > 10/7...can anyone out there verify it? > K.C. Yep, it's confirmed...Oct. 7th at the Odeon. Little more than a month after they were just here....lucky us heheh ~Mike ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35EF2971.3615@bgnet.bgsu.edu> Date: Thu, 03 Sep 1998 23:42:40 +0000 From: "K.C." Subject: TMBG: Details, Details Okay...More questions/rumours cause I'm bored: 1) Is Linnell married? the FAQ says no, but I've heard that he is. 2) If so, do we know wife's name? 3) how bout Flans' wife? 4) What is Linnell's DOB? (6/12/59?) 5) What is Flans' DOB (5/6/60? this seems more for sure than L's) 6) Anybody got anything on shoe sizes? I apologize for being bored and nagging y'all with questions...I appreciate you sharing your knowledge. K.C. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35EF2A3C.17CB@bgnet.bgsu.edu> Date: Thu, 03 Sep 1998 23:46:03 +0000 From: "K.C." Subject: Re: TMBG: To Cleveland Maybe? Yup we are pretty lucky...I suppose. Although we could live in NY and be REAL lucky... I'm guessing you sawsem at Endfest then. Hee hee hee K.C. ------------------------------ From: Kreadoubt@aol.com Message-ID: <14b527a7.35ef5fa9@aol.com> Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 23:34:01 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Details, Details >1) Is Linnell married? the FAQ says no, but I've heard that he is. Yes >2) If so, do we know wife's name? Karen >3) how bout Flans' wife? Robin, aka Sister Puff >4) What is Linnell's DOB? (6/12/59?) Yes >5) What is Flans' DOB (5/6/60? this seems more for sure than L's) Yes >6) Anybody got anything on shoe sizes? Ya got me there.... "Hey, I can make our car honk from where I'm sitting!" JL ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 20:55:36 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: TMBG: when you feel like a fossil Message-ID: I'm 15, almost 16, but I've only gotten carded at a rated R movie once in the last 4 months. People think I look about 19 or 20, except my friends, my family, and me. Cap'n Helfgott * ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- toast knows how it feels to be bread, but bread can never know how it feels to be toast, until bread becomes toast, but once bread is toast, it can never be bread again. Although you could scrape off that black stuff... ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <1fd37921.35ef64ca@aol.com> Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 23:55:54 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Details, Details In a message dated 9/3/98 11:25:06 PM, kless@bgnet.bgsu.edu wrote: >1) Is Linnell married? the FAQ says no, but I've heard that he is. yup.. i think it was around feb of '97? not too sure... i ..(doing my best tadonoshin impression, remember, those of you at the central park mono puff show? )... i got a FUZZY MIND! >2) If so, do we know wife's name? Karen >3) how bout Flans' wife? Robin Goldwasser / aka Sister Puff. my friend put some pics up on her page from the mono puff show, and robin is in a couple of them~ http://members.aol.com/jondioline/monopuff/1.html >4) What is Linnell's DOB? (6/12/59?) >5) What is Flans' DOB (5/6/60? this seems more for sure than L's) yes and yes... as far as i know offhand.. >6) Anybody got anything on shoe sizes? no, sorry. ~sarah ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980904040446.006d3ff4@cybnetonline.com> Date: Thu, 03 Sep 1998 23:04:46 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: when you feel like a fossil At 08:55 PM 9/3/98 -0700, leonard helfgott wrote: >I'm 15, almost 16, but I've only gotten carded at a rated R movie once in >the last 4 months. People think I look about 19 or 20, except my friends, >my family, and me. Carded for an "R" movie? WTF, your supposed to be carded for "NC-17", not "R". Sheesh, anyways just start yelling about do they want your business or not in those cases. LDB -- http://members.xoom.com/MaxxIda/ The Ultimate Maxx Webpage - The Maxx IDA (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ From: ErgoTM@aol.com Message-ID: <2294741a.35ef6aad@aol.com> Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 00:21:01 EDT Subject: TMBG: TMBG 2 things. First of all you can be carded at an R movie, you must be 18, or with an Adult. I have only been carded two times. Second, I am not always an alert person so maybe this has already been brought up, but there is a very disturbing hidden track on IFTS if you rewind the first track a la Token Back to Brooklyn. Oh, and one more thing Count Duckula was a spin-off from Danger Mouse. Jeff "King of useless information" Craig ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199809040423.MAA26676@vector.wantree.com.au> From: "Carla Stagles" Subject: Re: TMBG: Details, Details Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 12:11:13 +0800 > >3) how bout Flans' wife? > > Robin Goldwasser / aka Sister Puff. my friend put some pics up on her page > from the mono puff show, and robin is in a couple of them~ > http://members.aol.com/jondioline/monopuff/1.html those pics were excellent. Thanks :) but where were they taken? it looks like Monopuff were performing in the bottom of a well! and are there any pictures of Robin anywhere else? like, GOOD pictures... all i could see in these where her ass and i am assuming there is more to her than that ;) carla ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 23:24:20 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib Subject: TMBG: Non-TMBG (Please do not respond to this). Message-ID: Quiz bowls are gay. (Sorry, but some of you should enjoy this.) ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <220d0af.35ef6bf9@aol.com> Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 00:26:33 EDT Subject: Re: Re: TMBG: Details, Details you wrote: >those pics were excellent. Thanks :) > >but where were they taken? it looks like Monopuff were performing in the > >bottom of a well! > the bandshell in central park, in nyc. the lighting was horrible! sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <00bc01bdd7bd$693df1e0$74896fc6@pavilion> From: "Kirsten Brodbeck" Subject: Re: TMBG: Details, Details Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 00:35:13 -0400 >Robin Goldwasser / aka Sister Puff. my friend put some pics up on her page >from the mono puff show, and robin is in a couple of them~ >http://members.aol.com/jondioline/monopuff/1.html Wow, these are some really excellent pictures - where were they taken? I love Robin's greenish yellow tights, altho' I think she looks a lot prettier in the liner notes to It's Fun to Steal. Anyway, people, check these pics out, check them totally out! ;) Kirsten /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ "And also, we're just not that good-looking." - John Flansburgh, TMBG kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu - Kirsten Brodbeck - AKA Crow ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <4f0b9e33.35ef6dfe@aol.com> Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 00:35:10 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Non-TMBG (Please do not respond to this). >Quiz bowls are gay. > >(Sorry, but some of you should enjoy this.) rotflmao!!! bad, bad bad! although it's not as bad as.... buttknobs ::duck:: sarah ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199809040436.AAA17728@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Thu, 03 Sep 1998 23:37:42 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG At 12:21 AM 9/4/98 -0400, you wrote: >2 things. First of all you can be carded at an R movie, you must be 18, or >with an Adult. 17, I thought, but I could be harfed in the harfer, I suppose. Harf, Mitch ------------------------------ Message-ID: <00cd01bdd7bd$d6530e00$74896fc6@pavilion> From: "Kirsten Brodbeck" Subject: Re: TMBG: Non-TMBG (Please do not respond to this). Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 00:38:16 -0400 >Quiz bowls are gay. > >(Sorry, but some of you should enjoy this.) God, I don't know whether to hit you or laugh hysterically! lol... That was one of the most bizarre exchanges on this list, and one I believe I precipitated... :) To those of you who are about to get all angry and say, "Hey! No they're not!!" let me take this opportunity to tell you that this is an in-joke from a long, LONG time ago... Almost as old as buttknobs and the great Pink Album debate. Kirsten /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ "And also, we're just not that good-looking." - John Flansburgh, TMBG kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu - Kirsten Brodbeck - AKA Crow ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980904043958.006cdc8c@cybnetonline.com> Date: Thu, 03 Sep 1998 23:39:58 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG That's stupid, because the rating system goes G, PG, PG-13, R, NC-17, X, etc. Does that mean that NC-17 movies are safer films? WTF? Anyone cards ya at an R rated movie, just bitch 'em out that's quite sad. Your supposed to be carded for NC-17 and X and such, not R. Sheesh. Talk about stupidity. >to Brooklyn. Oh, and one more thing Count Duckula was a spin-off from Danger >Mouse. > Yes it was. L "BEEN GOING TO R MOVIES SINCE I WAS 13" DB -- http://members.xoom.com/MaxxIda/ The Ultimate Maxx Webpage - The Maxx IDA (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #10-4 *****************************