Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #11-1 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 11, Number 1 Thursday, 1 October 1998 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: how old are you all? Re: TMBG: how old are you all? TMBG: 4th call, meet/dinner b4 chicago show 10/3 Re: NON-TMBG: A LITTLE TMBG/MOSTLY NOT: a little fun -Reply -Reply TMBG: Myers-Briggs: A Skeptical Perspective Re: TMBG: how old are you all? Re: TMBG: guerrilla interview Re: TMBG: Barrymore Review Re: TMBG: Barrymore Review Re: TMBG: They Might Be Bookworms, They Might Not... Re: NON TMBG: Real Audio Re: TMBG: how old are you all? TMBG: MRL Re: TMBG: Barrymore Review Re: TMBG: Dreams TMBG: After Hours At The Insect Hospital Re: TMBG: After Hours At The Insect Hospital Re: TMBG: how old are you all? TMBG: Flansy's new car TMBG: Burn-out, anyone? Re: TMBG: Burn-out, anyone? Re: TMBG: Burn-out, anyone? NON-TMBG: Ages. Re: TMBG: Burn-out, anyone? Re: TMBG: how old are you all? TMBG: Shows next week Re: TMBG: After Hours At The Insect Hospital Re: TMBG: Dreams Re: TMBG: Burn-out, anyone? Re: TMBG: Burn-out, anyone? TMBG: Barrymore revision :) Re: TMBG: Barrymore revision :) Non-TMBG: Unnecessary hostility (was Burn-out, anyone?) Re: TMBG: Burn-out, anyone? Non-TMBG: Unnecessary hostility PLUS TMBG: 30 songs? Re: TMBG: Burn-out, anyone? Re: Non-TMBG: Unnecessary hostility (was Burn-out, anyone?) Re: Non-TMBG: Unnecessary hostility PLUS TMBG: 30 songs? Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <19980930062535.5022.rocketmail@send202.yahoomail.com> Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 23:25:35 -0700 (PDT) From: Kimberly Turner Subject: Re: TMBG: how old are you all? <> Well, I'm older than I've ever been and now I'm even older...and now I'm even older....and now I'm even older. :) I'm 23. **Kimberly** _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 30 Sep 98 18:08:01 +1000 Subject: Re: TMBG: how old are you all? From: >just a question from me...what is the average age of everyone here?? > ~Eric "Action" Jackson~ Can I just say that that is a pretty darn stupid question. I'm not exactly sure what my average age is, do I have to divide my real age by the number of TMBG albums I own?? Luke 22:7 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3612492D.654D9F86@oursquare.com> Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 10:07:25 -0500 From: Neal Shankman Subject: TMBG: 4th call, meet/dinner b4 chicago show 10/3 A zillion apologies for the constant repeat, but here it is: Going to the Chicago TMBG show, Saturday night, 10/3? Want to wine (and whine) and dine with fellow list-readers? I'm trying (and failing! Yay!) to get at least a small group together at the Melrose Restaurant on Belmont, just east of the el stop, one block from the Vic. Time: People can arrive anytime between 6 and 6:30, I guess. If you want dinner, come closer to 6. The food is tasty and pretty cheap. Where: Like I just said -- it's on the north side of Belmont maybe 200 feet east of the el tracks/station. It's one block east of Sheffield, on which is the Vic. So email me, will ya? I've had about 5 responses, most of which have re-emailed me and said they're not coming to the show for one reason or another. Hope it's not my e-breath... VERY IMPORTANT: If you don't respond, I probably won't bother showing up myself. Watching what I eat as I'm trying to these days doesn't go well with tasty diner food, y'know? Not that you all might not find each other at the Melrose without me, but it'd be much easier if somebody (e.g. me) was coordinating. So if you can swing it, RSVP! regards, Neal Shankman ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 15:31:31 +0000 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: A LITTLE TMBG/MOSTLY NOT: a little fun -Reply -Reply On reflection I am sure you are correct about Josh - my assumption was based on the address on the envelope of a letter when he returned some money after being unable to tape some stuff for the group. Well as least we now know his parents are Mr and Mrs Carl Morgan. Do they know what their child sometimes get up to?! Does he respect them enough to exercise some degree of self-control in case they were ever sent hard copies of his messages in the post............ Richard (worried about sending obscenity through the American post) >Hate to say it but I think Josh is already married.......... i thought we figured he was somewhere between the ages of 13 and 22... or something dumb like that... now, i'm not putting it past a 22yo to be married but come on, a 13yo, much less a 22yo as immature as Josh, married? take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36124CFF.D63A5A79@oursquare.com> Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 10:23:43 -0500 From: Neal Shankman Subject: TMBG: Myers-Briggs: A Skeptical Perspective Hi all... Sorry to tread late on a quickly aging topic, but a bunch of people here seem to take Myers-Briggs very, very seriously. Perhaps you'd consider reading the essay by Robert Todd Carroll in his online "The Skeptic's Dictionary" for a well-reasoned look at it from the non-believers standpoint. The URL is: http://skepdic.com/myersb.html His basic point is that what this test can tell you, you probably already know, so is it really worth spending your hard-earned cash? Describing somebody using a set of black-and-white descriptors (either E or I, no in-betweens) is never going to yield a rich or terribly useful picture of their psyche. Carroll lists a bunch of the official descriptions of these personality types without saying which type goes with which description, and, as he points out, a bunch of them seem to describe me pretty well. It's very similar to the results of a well-constructed horoscope or "psychic" reading. Now, this isn't to say Myers-Briggs can't be fun and interesting. Just that maybe we should be careful categorizing people (including assorted Giants) and making assumptions about them because of the whims of a trendy pop-psych product. regards, Neal Shankman ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 11:47:47 -0500 (CDT) From: Robin Subject: Re: TMBG: how old are you all? Message-ID: I am 21 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <36126f0221c3002@garnet.tc.umn.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: guerrilla interview Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 12:48:50 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org: >The INTP list, a general discussion list for folks who identify with or >are interested in the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI). INTP is one of >the 16 types. There seems to be a high density of TMBG fans on the INTP >list, curiously enough. It is suspected that a John is probably an INTP. There's also one for INFJ's that I no longer subscribe to due to volume. (My F/T is borderline, slightly F, so I don't call myself INXJ). And my age is in the geekcode header that doesn't make the digest (24). %% Chris Bongaarts %% Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu %% http://umn.edu/~cab %% U of Minnesota %% CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) %% Stop Plate Tectonics! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <361271df2d43002@garnet.tc.umn.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Barrymore Review Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 13:01:03 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org: First Avenue, Minneapolis, MN 9-29-98 setlist: (copied from Todd VH's barrymore review since it's almost identical: >Theme from Severe Tire Damage >*Dr. Worm >New York City >*Whistling in the Dark >*Famous Polka >Working undercover for the MAN Intro to WUFTM: Flans commented that the band for the opening act, Michael Shelley (seemed OK, reminded me of the Candy Butchers with nice vocal harmonies), were really CIA agents. >*Mammal >Ana NG (w/ the 'Where is my eyeball' intro) >She's Actual Size >Battle for the Planet of the Apes (PEOPLE WON!) Linnell: "The people seem to win a lot..." >They got Lost (somwhere between Lake Monona & Lake Mendota!) >Older >Your Racist Friend >*She's an Angel >Spy (w/ bonus song Hey Mr Tambourine Man!! & Let it Be) We just got "Mr. Tambourine Man", and I thought it was a darn good cover. Played during the extended conductor ending. >After Hours Party at the Insect Hospital >WINDOW >Pet Name "turn out the lights... can you turn off the beer signs?" >Exquisite Dead Guy >S E X X Y >Shoehorn x2 (played second time as if scanning on a cd player, hilarious!!) During the beginning of the first one, John L's keyboard started losing power. Flans told a pedophile joke to pass the time... >Birdhouse >James Knox Polk >WDTSS?? >-----encore 1--------- >Lie Still Little Bottle I have now seen The Stick. >*Particle Man (Total Eclipse of the Heart interlude) We had a different interlude, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was... >The Guitar (w/ lots of 70's funk jamming!) >-----encore 2--------- >Istanbul >*Dr. Worm > >the tracks with the * are songs Linnell used the squeeze box! Really a great >show, as always but pretty long too, 29 songs for about 105-110m. Wished for >anything other than Dr. Worm the second time but they really zazzed it up >singing "The Boys are back in Town" lyrics here and there. Linnell has a really great voice for that... %% Chris Bongaarts %% Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu %% http://umn.edu/~cab %% U of Minnesota %% CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) %% Stop Plate Tectonics! ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 14:19:53 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Barrymore Review Message-ID: <19980930.142009.13558.0.Superman75@juno.com> From: superman75@juno.com (Adam Schaaf) hi. >>After Hours Party at the Insect Hospital i'm taking it that this is a new song. what's it sound like? anyone else know anything on it? your underking of pop trivia, adam schaaf * ------------------------------------------ Philly Tour Dates Oct. 8 - BNL!!! Oct. 9 - Henry Rollins Spoken Word!!! Oct. 13 - TMBG!!! Oct. 24 - Soul Coughing!!! Oct. 28 - Garbage!!! * ------------------------------------------ ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 11:42:00 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Bookworms, They Might Not... Message-ID: people should really consult the FAQ or the interps of the songs on tmbg.org before they brin these questions to the list. Cap'n Helfgott ------------------------------ Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Real Audio Message-ID: <19980930.150825.9647.1.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A Klein) Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 15:10:00 EDT >There is a free version, but Real has its page set up to where it nowhere >near as obvious as the "RealPlayer Plus". Damn it, I downloaded the Real Audio player and I think it's screwing with me. I have a couple Real Audio files, but when I tried to play them, it said they weren't Real Audio files. Butnow, I can't even open it. It says "File Error. Cannot find WINDSOCK.DLL. Does anyone know what to do about this, or can someone send me this WINSOCK thing? Thanks. Derek "Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age" ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: LinnellLvr@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 15:16:43 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: how old are you all? I'm 15. ------------------------------ From: SuperD149@aol.com Message-ID: <6910d724.361288db@aol.com> Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 15:39:07 EDT Subject: TMBG: MRL Someone said they had taped TMBG when they were on MRL. Could you please E- mail me at superd149@aol.com Thanks David ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 15:35:55 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Barrymore Review Message-ID: <19980930.153755.10014.1.gray42@juno.com> On Wed, 30 Sep 1998 14:19:53 -0400 superman75@juno.com (Adam Schaaf) writes: >hi. > >>>After Hours Party at the Insect Hospital > >i'm taking it that this is a new song. what's >it sound like? anyone else know anything >on it? Hmmm, I have a small theory that this will be on the Studio album meant for 99'. I vaguely remember someone calling the album "Insect Hospital" Hmmmmmm Mysterio Gal (why do I feel like I'm living in Ayn Rands "Anthem") "Little David is all grown up. Too bad for the cause of Good!" --Negativland MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 >your underking of pop trivia, >adam schaaf >------------------------------------------ >Philly Tour Dates >Oct. 8 - BNL!!! >Oct. 9 - Henry Rollins Spoken Word!!! >Oct. 13 - TMBG!!! >Oct. 24 - Soul Coughing!!! >Oct. 28 - Garbage!!! >------------------------------------------ >___________________________________________________________________ >You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get >completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno >at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: LinnellLvr@aol.com Message-ID: <8fe9ef83.36128c32@aol.com> Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 15:53:22 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Dreams I had my very first TMBG dream over the summer, and haven't had one since, unfortunately. Anyway, I call this one (I title all my dreams) "My Brush With Greatness: My First They Might Be Giants Dream!" and it went like this...(warning: this is kinda really long) It was a lovely afternoon, and I was bored, so I picked up the phone and dialed in (718) 387-6962 just for the hell of it. John Flansburgh answered the other line. I thought this was fine and dandy for some reason, though I'd probably be amazingly freaked out and hang up if it actually happened. I mean, what do you say when the coolest man in the world (in your opinion) picks up the phone when you call his Dial-A-Song? Anyway, we chatted for awhile. "I really love They Might Be Giants," I said, a bit shakily. I didn't want to scare poor Mr. Flansburgh with my obsessiveness, so I attempted to avoid the subject of my love for TMBG. "And I'm also trying to get into Mono Puff." "That's great! I'm glad you enjoy our music so much," Flans enthused. We went on talking for about two minutes. Flans was extremely friendly, but then he stopped talking for some strange reason. All I could hear was his heavy breathing on the other line. I eventually got scared by that. "Um...Mr. Flansburgh?" I asked. He didn't answer. I still heard only heavy breathing. "Okay...um...I have to go, so...it was very nice talking with you; thanks a lot. Bye!" He didn't answer again, so I just hung up. Then, I was suddenly walking to my high school. There was supposed to be a surprise concert going on that day. No one knew who would be performing, apparently, but I decided to go anyway. I could always leave if I didn't like the show, after all. So, I was walking along, enjoying the warmth of the day, when this white car stopped on the side of the road next to me. It was my two favorite band boys, John Linnell and John Flansburgh!!! "Hey, need a lift?" Flans asked, sticking his head out the window. "Oh, wow...really? Thanks a lot!" I said, grinning like a maniac. I hopped into the back seat, right behind Linnell, who was driving. I was absolutely euphoric. Me? Riding in the same car as They Might Be Giants?? It was impossible, and I was loving it. Flans got out of the passenger seat and into the backseat next to me. We started up a friendly conversation. "By the way, Mr. Flansburgh, I was the girl you talked to on the phone the other day," I said. Flans just nodded as though he knew. I let the subject go, seeing that there was no point in carrying the phone thing any further. Mr. Linnell remained mostly quiet during the drive. Every now and then he would throw some little snippet into the mix of Flans and my conversation, and occasionally he would look back at me using the rearview mirror. For some reason, Linnell looked like he had his Apollo 18-era hair, which kinda turned me off (I never did like that hair, sorry to say). Though I really wanted to talk to Linnell, since I have a major crush on him, I concentrated on my conversation with Flans. "So, where are you guys headed?" I asked. Flans smiled. "We're on our way to Catholic High School. We're doing a concert there." "Wow, really? That's where I'm going too!" I said, amazed. Then I put 2 and 2 together. "You mean that you guys are the ones playing in the surprise concert??" "That's right," Linnell said, glancing back at me through the rearview mirror again. Wow. TMBG in concert at my school. Could things get any better? Linnell dropped me off at CHS then. "Thanks again for the lift, guys! See you at the concert!" I shouted to them as I waved goodbye. "You bet!" Flans said, waving back. Then Linnell drove the car around the other side of the school. I watched them until they were out of sight. Then I walked inside the gym, where probably about twenty people were scattered over the two sets of bleachers. The next part dealt with me and some of my friends, and since it has nothing to with TMBG, I'll leave it out. I took a seat in the bleachers along the far wall when I was done talking to my friends. I sat on the tail end of the bleachers, near the doors that opened to the portables. My two favorite men came in then and Linnell sat down on a drummer's stool that was taller than normal. I was happy to note that Linnell had his beautiful short hair back. I got up from the bleachers and walked over to Flans and Linnell. "Hi," I said. "You guys almost ready?" "Yup," Flans replied. "I think you're really going to enjoy the show!" Then Flans walked away and out of the building. (WARNING: This next part's mushy) I walked right up to Linnell after Flans left. "Mr. Linnell..." I trailed off, and just stared at him. He was giving me this wide-eyed innocent look with unblinking eyes. We studied each other for awhile, Linnell just staring up at me in what seemed to be expectation. I eventually couldn't stand it anymore and I leaned over and kissed him shyly, then he stood up. I looked up at him and kissed him again, for longer this time. It was wonderful. Then he had to go and I went back up to the bleachers. (Okay. End the mushy part) Eventually I got bored and began strolling halls I didn't recognize. There I saw Flans and Linnell sitting on steps leading up to a set of double doors. I joined them and they seemed happy to see me again. I sat on the lowest step. Linnell was apparently in the middle of telling a story. He moved from his step, sat on the floor next to me, swung his feet up on the step I was sitting on, and then said something about an animal...and then something else, which prompted peals of laughter from both Flans and myself. I don't remember exactly what he said. After that, I got up to go, and I saw a friend of mine, Vicky, standing next to the wall. "Hey, Vicky! What are you doing here?" I asked. She smiled. "Oh, hey, Leslie. I skipped school to come see the show." "That's great! I didn't know you were a They Might Be Giants fan," I said. "Oh, I'm not, really. I just like going to concerts," she replied. "Oh, okay." Then Flans and Linnell came out, and they were hit with a bunch of people trying to get autographs. Vicky ran over and joined the crowd. I thought about trying to get an autograph, but I figured I was in good rapport with the guys, so I could get one any time I wanted. I walked back into the building and retook my seat in the bleachers. At this time, all of TMBG's equipment was out, and so were they. Flans waved at me. "Hey, Leslie! Move to the other side of the gym! To the other row of bleachers!" "Why?" I asked. "Just move!" he said. I decided to stay where I was, but then Linnell got up and began acting like he was directing traffic. "Get up and go, Les," he said. I gave up finally and moved to the other side, which suddenly had leather-padded seats!! It was so cool! I sat down, and then Flans and Linnell joined me. Linnell sat to my right and Flans sat to his right. We chatted for awhile. Then, Linnell and Flans suddenly jumped off the bleachers and down onto the floor. Linnell began a stirring rendition of "Dr. Worm". Even though the full band wasn't with them, it sounded like they were there. Prerecorded tape? Maybe. The drum set and bass guitar were there, just no one was playing them. Oh well. I scooted to Flans' vacant chair at the end of the row, and looked down. Another friend of mine, Kendra, was standing below me. "Hi!" I yelled to her above Dr. Worm. "Hey, see the guy singing? That's John Linnell, the guy I like so much!" Kendra didn't respond, didn't even acknowledge my presence. The dream then ended, rather abruptly and rudely, I thought. They didn't even get to finish Dr. Worm!!! -_- Whew...well, that's finished. Sorry if I bored you. Leslie ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 15:56:56 -0400 Subject: TMBG: After Hours At The Insect Hospital Message-ID: <19980930.155700.17862.0.Superman75@juno.com> From: superman75@juno.com (Adam Schaaf) hi. >Hmmm, I have a small theory that this will be on the Studio album >meant for 99'. I vaguely remember someone calling the album "Insect >Hospital" Hmmmmmm i remember that being a trivia question at TMBG.ORG's arcade section. also, there's a comp of new songs (i think Jordan made it, my copy came from her) taken from various live shows called "Insect Hospital." chances are "AHATIH" will be on the new album, whatever the name is, as will a lot of stuff, hopefully. "Working Undercover For The Man" seems like it'll be the single. i can't wait to hear either. and for the record, i'll be 21 in november. your underking of pop trivia, adam schaaf * ------------------------------------------ Philly Tour Dates Oct. 9 - Henry Rollins Spoken Word!!! Oct. 13 - TMBG!!! Oct. 24 - Soul Coughing!!! Oct. 28 - Garbage!!! * ------------------------------------------ ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980930160952.007b37b0@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 16:09:52 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: After Hours At The Insect Hospital At 03:56 PM 9/30/98 -0400, Adam Schaaf wrote: > >i remember that being a trivia question at TMBG.ORG's arcade section. >also, there's a comp of new songs (i think Jordan made it, my copy >came from her) taken from various live shows called "Insect Hospital." It was put together by a couple of people on the TMBG Musings at tmbg.org...Shana ("Rabid Child") compiled the tracks, and Chris "Linus" Lough mailed 'em off (for free, no less). Very nice project. :> -Adam 10/2 - Tuscadero! 10/10 - TMBG! -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <002001bdecaf$dda8c8a0$99b3a4c1@squid> From: "Uncle Squid" Subject: Re: TMBG: how old are you all? Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 21:20:58 +0100 18 and old enuff to know better ;0) --USQ xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx " Star-crossed lovers and cheap pop tricks, if you throw enough kisses, one of them must stick " -- Nilon Bombers "I'm not built for this" Uncle Squid's ICQ number: 12605535 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 16:27:39 EDT Subject: TMBG: Flansy's new car My apologies if this has been mentioned before, but I haven't seen it. My ever-alert dad found an article entitled "It Might Be Giant" in the October Automobile magazine, written by TMBG's manager Jame Kitman about how he impulsively bought Buick Electra then had to get rid of it and decided to give it to Flans. I'm only gonna paraphrase and type up the TMBG-related parts (it's a bit long and my dad cut off a bit of it when he copied it), but it should still be on the stands if you want to read the whole thing. No pics except for a cartoon of Kitman and a pic of the car. Enjoy! Kitman first tries to figure out how he's going to get out of paying for his trip to Cleveland: "If the IRS auditors came a-knockin' after I wrote this trip off on my taxes, I was prepared to explain how I was scoping out the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in my capacity as the manager of the absurdist pop duo, They Might Be Giants. When the Hall comes calling, as I expect it some day will, I need to know whether it's in the boys best interest to accept induction. In the alternative, I was here for an onsite inspection of Cleveland's recently inaugurated Hard Rock Cafe, the ninety-first to grace our fair planet to date. Was it up to snuff? Could I recommend it to my big-haired associates with a clear conscience? Only a trip to Cleveland would tell all." Before driving there, he gets a call from an old friend who asks him if he wants to take a "1970 Buick Electra 225 convertible with 57,000 original miles on it and a heap of rust" off his hands for a thousand bucks. Kitman agrees, only to realize later that he can't afford it: "Without revealing too much about my delicate house of financial cards, let me say that my modest music-management business and law practice couldn't write another old car off as a business vehicle. We've already got enough of those to keep, say, the entire middle-management team at Citibank in tired wheels through the 2020 census. Nor was the Buick exactly what you'd call an office supply. But what if it was a gift to a client? Choosing a recipient was easy. They Might Be Giants' John Flansburgh is the man we like to call Diamond Jack, on account of his hyperactive generous streak and outsized tastes. Here's a man who drives a Ford Crown Victoria by choice, who likes his steaks large and his martinis so tall that they ought to be served with an accompanying stepladder. He'd often noted to me, with more than a tinge of jealousy in his voice, the solid good sense and undeniable largeness of the 1979 Cadillac Sedan de Ville belonging to his good rock buddy Frank Black (formerly Black Francis of the Pixies). Flansy didn't just want a Buick ragtop, it occurred to me, he needed one. A little rust and a whole lotta heft would fit right in on the roads near Jack's upstate summer residence, alongside all the clapped-out iron run by the lead-foot Hassids, itinerant East Village artists, and homegrown rednecks he calls neighbors." He fixes the thing up again and in the end, "I'm not embarrassed to say I felt a twinge of remorse turning over the Buick keys to Diamond Jack. His Electra may be a pig-o-saurus and a half, but it is, in its way, a proud pinnacle of Detroit automotive achievement--quiet, refined, comfortable, characterful, and large." Kay ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980930203749.21710.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: TMBG: Burn-out, anyone? Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 13:37:44 PDT In rescent days, I've been... BURNT-OUT on Them. What do you people do when you get bored with the Johns. It seems like I feel like this every two months. Is there a cure? IS THERE NO END????? I'm due for another 3-4 weeks of this private hell! Help me, please!!!!! -----"I'm 30 years old, Mom! I'm almost a full grown man!"----- Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com ICQ#: 17262308 contact me! http://profiles.yahoo.com/LeChuck/ "Well it's you and me and the bottle makes three tonight." -Big Bad Voodoo Daddy ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 16:44:10 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Burn-out, anyone? In a message dated 9/30/98 4:39:33 PM, dilbert_2000@hotmail.com writes: >In rescent days, I've been... BURNT-OUT on Them. What do you people do > >when you get bored with the Johns. It seems like I feel like this every > >two months. Is there a cure? IS THERE NO END????? I'm due for another >3-4 weeks of this private hell! Help me, please!!!!! well, what do you *want* to do? you must not be *that* bored if you're complaining about it. there's really no explanation. i go through phases with all of my favourite bands as well... right now i'm actually on a tmbg resurgence and a kinda-bored-with-BNL phase.. (although, next week i'm seeing them for the fifth time, it may change )... >-----"I'm 30 years old, Mom! I'm almost a full grown man!"----- josh, you are fifteen. shut the hell up. sarah np: sloan: "snowsuit sound" (twice removed) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199809302046.QAA19269@angels.heaven.net> From: " Eric " Subject: Re: TMBG: Burn-out, anyone? Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 16:45:16 -0400 The sure fire cure for this is to go and see a TMBG show (if thats possible). But if not try acquiring some live tapes from different people on the internet. That is always fun and exciting, especially if you can get ahold of a show that you have been to. if all else fails just take a TMBG break and listen to bands like Moxy Fruvous, etc.... ~Eric "Action" Jackson~ > In rescent days, I've been... BURNT-OUT on Them. What do you people do > when you get bored with the Johns. It seems like I feel like this every > two months. Is there a cure? IS THERE NO END????? I'm due for another > 3-4 weeks of this private hell! Help me, please!!!!! > > > -----"I'm 30 years old, Mom! I'm almost a full grown man!"----- > Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com > ICQ#: 17262308 contact me! > http://profiles.yahoo.com/LeChuck/ > > "Well it's you and me and the bottle makes three tonight." > -Big Bad Voodoo Daddy > > > ______________________________________________________ > Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 16:51:27 -0400 (EDT) From: Beth Connell Subject: NON-TMBG: Ages. Message-ID: I'm 26. And I'll be 27 in...er. 18 days. Ack. Beth -<*>- http://www.cgicafe.com/~soulfire | "I want to raise my freak flag higher and higher..." -TMBG | "Rock Climbing, Joel. Rock Climbing." -Tom Servo, MST3K | "I love humans. Always seeing patterns in things that aren't there." -Dr. Who (8th Doctor) | Odangos, anyone? -<*>- ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <5a6ef48f.361299fc@aol.com> Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 16:52:12 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Burn-out, anyone? In a message dated 9/30/98 4:47:27 PM, balloon@netheaven.com writes: > if all else fails just take a TMBG > >break and listen to bands like Moxy Fruvous, etc.... yep, i didn't really ..."cover" this as well... if tmbg is the only band you listen to... well, you have to broaden your horizons or expect to be bored. tmbg is still my favourite band overall, and will be [as i see it] for a long time. my favourite band i've currently been *listening* to, is a differnt story however. yes, they *can* be different. mine now, is sloan. i've heard my tmbg cd's many many times through. i need new stuff to keep me happy. not that i don't listen to my tmbg cd's, but i don't listen to them all that often. 195 cd's and counting, sarah ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: <669b91c2.36129d47@aol.com> Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 17:06:15 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: how old are you all? I just turned 16 on September 15th. -Amber the Alterian 6 days till Toronto.... ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980930170841.009077e0@EMail.Psu.Edu> Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 17:08:41 -0400 From: Jason Fickley Subject: TMBG: Shows next week Is there any interest for list members to meet up before/during the upcoming Cleveland and Pittsburgh shows? If so let me know by emailing my other address, hotcha57@hotmail.com, since I won't be able to check my mail here over the weekend. --Jason-- "We obviously appeal to lots of shut-ins." - John Linnell ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 15:27:00 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: After Hours At The Insect Hospital Message-ID: <19980930.153407.11542.3.TMBgirl@juno.com> >also, there's a comp of new songs (i think Jordan made it, my copy >came from her) taken from various live shows called "Insect Hospital." nope, mine's first generation... i believe shana (rabidchild) made that one (literally since she's the one that recorded the shows in the first place)... :P take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 15:25:03 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: Dreams Message-ID: <19980930.153407.11542.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> >I had my very first TMBG dream over the summer, and haven't had one >since, >unfortunately. hmm.... last summer? > Linnell began a stirring rendition of "Dr. Worm". i'm not putting it past you... i mean... the bootlegs with the song go way back... i'm just curious cuz it wasn't released till what august... does that count as summer? Another friend of mine, Kendra, was standing below me. > "Hi!" I yelled to her above Dr. Worm. "Hey, see the guy >singing? That's John >Linnell, the guy I like so much!" > Kendra didn't respond, didn't even acknowledge my presence. that's because "kendra" was really karen... she was a little miffed that you were telling her that you wanted her husband. :P take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html ________________________________________________________________ Why pay more to use the Internet? Get fast, reliable, affordable Web access From Juno, the world's second largest online service. Download your free software here. ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 15:33:57 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: Burn-out, anyone? Message-ID: <19980930.153407.11542.4.TMBgirl@juno.com> > But if not try acquiring some live tapes from different >people >on the internet. what happens when you have them all (i'm still waiting to find out myself) >That is always fun and exciting, especially if you >can get >ahold of a show that you have been to. definately... the bootlegs of the shows you were at (regardless of quality) are so much cooler than any other bootlegs... it's like you can totally relive the entire experience. >if all else fails just take a >TMBG >break and listen to bands like Moxy Fruvous, etc.... i don't think i've listened to any of my tmbg CD's since the week of august 11th when STD came out... and before that... geez, i dunno. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980930214719.21530.rocketmail@web4.rocketmail.com> Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 14:47:19 -0700 (PDT) From: Danielle Gaither Subject: Re: TMBG: Burn-out, anyone? ---Josh Buckland wrote: > In rescent days, I've been... BURNT-OUT on Them. What do you people do It happens. > when you get bored with the Johns. It seems like I feel like this every > two months. Is there a cure? IS THERE NO END????? I'm due for another > 3-4 weeks of this private hell! Help me, please!!!!! Well, I have a lot of other stuff that I listen too. Like Sarah, TMBG is kind of a constant favorite for me, but I do get on the occasional other-singer kick. Right now, I'm on a huge Elvis Costello kick. Before I got into TMBG, I was really into Depeche Mode (I still like a lot of their stuff). Apparently I have a thing for dark-haired singers. Who knew? :) Remember, even John and John have to take an occasional break from each other. ;) Hoping this helps, Inspector Over the Mine === http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/1054/index.html "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you." --Nirvana _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: PROFITEERS@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 18:07:55 EDT Subject: TMBG: Barrymore revision :) Well no one has jumped me on it yet but I looked over my review and noticed I left out one of the coolest parts of the show. They played 30 songs (at least if I'm not forgetting something else.) But they did a hugely rockin version of SUBLIMINAL. Linnell on the squeeze box, pretty blissful. Todd ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 16:36:27 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: Barrymore revision :) Message-ID: <19980930.163856.11542.6.TMBgirl@juno.com> > But they did a hugely rockin >version of >SUBLIMINAL. Linnell on the squeeze box, pretty blissful. anybody that's seeing them in the upcoming weeks... check out the lights when they play subliminal... very cool. :) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html ________________________________________________________________ Why pay more to use the Internet? Get fast, reliable, affordable Web access From Juno, the world's second largest online service. Download your free software here. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19980930225342.011af480@mail.utexas.edu> Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 17:53:42 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Non-TMBG: Unnecessary hostility (was Burn-out, anyone?) >well, what do you *want* to do? you must not be *that* bored if you're >complaining about it. there's really no explanation. i go through phases with >all of my favourite bands as well... right now i'm actually on a tmbg >resurgence and a kinda-bored-with-BNL phase.. (although, next week i'm seeing >them for the fifth time, it may change )... > >>-----"I'm 30 years old, Mom! I'm almost a full grown man!"----- > >josh, you are fifteen. > >shut the hell up. > >sarah This rudeness and hostility isn't needed...and even if you perceive it as necessary, it *certainly* isn't necessary for the entire list to read it. Why, then, am I posting this message to the list? Because over the past week or so I've seen approximately one million such messages directed at Josh, for no good reason. Josh's terrible e-mail crimes occured for the most part long ago, but people still jump at the chance to insult him for the smallest thing...things other list members would get away with. So just leave him alone or if you really enjoy insulting people, then do it privately. Remember, we will some day stand in judgement before aliens for the messages we have posted to mailing lists. You don't want to be found wanting, now do you? Harf, Mitch ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 18:49:31 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Burn-out, anyone? Message-ID: <19980930.185112.3334.0.gray42@juno.com> On Wed, 30 Sep 1998 15:33:57 -0600 tmbgirl@juno.com writes: >> But if not try acquiring some live tapes from different >>people >>on the internet. > >what happens when you have them all (i'm still waiting to find out >myself) heh, by then somethin' new would probably be out. There are live bootlegs constantly being made. There's the vidio bootleg (this totally rehatched my TMBG hormones *hyuk* when I was going through a dark funk so bad that if I listened to one of my CD's it seemed to pass instantly, and it was like I didn't even hear it, even tho' I was loudly singing along(very depressing)) And those are continuing to be made (I think). Then there are the EPs to collect, and by the time you've gotten updated with all of that, TMBG will have probably come out with their next studio album. >>That is always fun and exciting, especially if you >>can get >>ahold of a show that you have been to. > >definately... the bootlegs of the shows you were at (regardless of >quality) are so much cooler than any other bootlegs... it's like you >can totally relive the entire experience. > >>if all else fails just take a >>TMBG >>break and listen to bands like Moxy Fruvous, etc.... > >i don't think i've listened to any of my tmbg CD's since the week of >august 11th when STD came out... and before that... geez, i dunno. hehe, TMBG has become tradition, religion, and a family heirloom. Some of my CD's I don't often listen to, and then the dark voices in my head come and tell me they are taking up space, (you know the thoughts: Gee what if I were to move, what would I take with me? or Man has no freedom because his possesions control his life (a wise thought, but a very negative one IMHO, at least when it comes to music, which I am very addicted to) then I pop one in for reassurance. I couldn't bear to get rid of them, it would be a great sin. Besides, I know to well the pain of lost music. All the times I've wanted to listen to John Henry and wasn't able to because the CD is so badly scratched *boo hoo* Heh, gee I'm glad I recently found my tape :D. geez, I'm rambling again :P Mysterio Gal (why do I feel like I'm living in Ayn Rands "Anthem") "Little David is all grown up. Too bad for the cause of Good!" --Negativland MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 >take it easy, JOrdaN >http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html > http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html >___________________________________________________________________ >You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get >completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno >at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <00fb01bdecc7$4c317a80$a4061ecf@default> From: "Green Jello" Subject: Non-TMBG: Unnecessary hostility PLUS TMBG: 30 songs? Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 19:08:54 -0400 >>shut the hell up. >> >>sarah > >This rudeness and hostility isn't needed...and even if you perceive it as >necessary, it *certainly* isn't necessary for the entire list to read it. >Harf, >Mitch Often, I've looked at your posts as good, sensible and wholesome... this time (as with all things involving disagreeing with my pal Sarah) you are wrong. That stupid little punk deserves everything he gets. I fart in his general direction! Josh's parents should be notified that their son is an idiot and that he should be enrolled in Amish School so we wouldn't have to look at his email. Brother Jebediah Green Jello 30 songs???? wow I'm impressed, sounds like the pre-band days to me... 2 Johns, 1 guitar, 1 keyboard, 1 accordion, and a drum machine! ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 17:22:32 -0600 (MDT) From: Scot Westwood Subject: Re: TMBG: Burn-out, anyone? Message-ID: Go buy some more albums, or singles, that should help you get over it. On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, Josh Buckland wrote: > In rescent days, I've been... BURNT-OUT on Them. What do you people do > when you get bored with the Johns. It seems like I feel like this every > two months. Is there a cure? IS THERE NO END????? I'm due for another > 3-4 weeks of this private hell! Help me, please!!!!! > > > -----"I'm 30 years old, Mom! I'm almost a full grown man!"----- > Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com > ICQ#: 17262308 contact me! > http://profiles.yahoo.com/LeChuck/ > > "Well it's you and me and the bottle makes three tonight." > -Big Bad Voodoo Daddy > > > ______________________________________________________ > Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com > ------------------------------ From: "Christina" Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Unnecessary hostility (was Burn-out, anyone?) Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 19:31:05 -0700 Message-ID: <01bdece3$8a2edbe0$0ec1adce@cak4748> >Josh's terrible e-mail crimes occured for the most part long ago, I'm new to the list and I don't know what "Josh's terrible e-mail crimes" were... (just that statement alone boggles my mind...!!) and frankly, I don't care. I just rather enjoy the other topics that come up and hear what other people are thinking and doing... but the mean-ness I think we can all do without... I look forward to many more posts from you who have been and are going to concerts (I've never seen TMBG live and I've been a fan for over 10 yrs)!!! I look forward to many happy posts... :) ...or at least not hostile ones (I hope!!) Christina ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981001035157.22667.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Unnecessary hostility PLUS TMBG: 30 songs? Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 20:51:56 PDT > I fart in his general >direction! > Shut up, you tiny brained wiper of other people's bottoms! I wave my private parts at your aunties! Your mother was a hampster, and your father smelt of elderberries. I don't wanna talk to you no more-a! Now go away, or I will insult you a second time-a! See? I can plagerize insults, too. I have but one compliment for you, and that is that you sure do have a hell of a sence of humor to copy my good friends the Pythons. With all that spoken.... Ni.Ni, Ni, Ni! Ni, Pang, and Niiiiiiii-wom! ----"I'm 30 years old, Mom! I'm almost a full grown man!"---- "These floors are dirty as hell, and I'm not gonna take it anymore" Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com ICQ#: 17262308 contact me! http://profiles.yahoo.com/LeChuck/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #11-1 *****************************