Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #11-10 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 11, Number 10 Saturday, 10 October 1998 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Potty Mouth TMBG: Bob Dylan Might Be Good Music Re: TMBG: Who Here is Right Wing? Re: TMBG: Bob Dylan Might Be Good Music TMBG: Atlanta meetings an' stuff Re: TMBG: Bob Dylan Might Be Good Music Re: TMBG: Bob Dylan Might Be Good Music TMBG: [off-topic] Sifl & Olly? Re: TMBG: [off-topic] Sifl & Olly? TMBG: John Henry sighting Re: TMBG: John Henry sighting Re: TMBG: [off-topic] Sifl & Olly? Re: TMBG: [off-topic] Sifl & Olly? Re: TMBG: Who Here is Uptight? TMBG: posters, politics TMBG: TMBG on FX Sunday night! Help! TMBG: countdown to christmas (party time) Re: TMBG: Bob Dylan Might Be Good Music Re: TMBG: Potty Mouth more Non-Tmbg Re: Non-TMBG: Who Here is Uptight? Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Stewart Russell 3295 Analyst_Programmer Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 11:55:15 +0100 (BST) Subject: Re: TMBG: Potty Mouth Message-ID: <13853.59857.455740.784393@helmsdale> >>>>> "Jason" == Jason A Glastetter writes: Jason> I think the John's have always had potty mouths At the Liberty, MO show Flansburgh said that he was trying really hard not to swear, as the show was being held inside the chapel at a Baptist college. To their credit, they didn't swear . . . but that doesn't forgive the heinous crime of using a guitar for the saw solo in 'James K Polk' . . . didn't they know they had a saw player in the audience? Did they ask, "Is there a saw player in the audience?" I think not. Not that I could replace Julian Koster, but at least that gives me an excuse to say that I'm going to see Julian and his band (Neutral Milk Hotel) on Monday. Wheee! -- Stewart C. Russell Analyst Programmer, Dictionary Division stewart@ref.collins.co.uk HarperCollins Publishers use Disclaimer; my $opinion; Glasgow, Scotland ------------------------------ Message-ID: <361E4964.6B2E@pop.uky.edu> Date: Fri, 09 Oct 1998 10:35:32 -0700 From: thesfc Subject: TMBG: Bob Dylan Might Be Good Music Hey, I was just wondering how many listees like Bob Dylan. It seems that quite a few should since TMBG and Bob Dylan both write awesome lyrics. Of course, Dylan creams TMBG into the ground, hehe. Someone mentioned how some TMBG songs you wanna' try and decipher, and others you wonder if you should be trying. Dylan has songs in both categories and then some in just about any other categories. Oh, if anyone hates Dylan, I'd like to know to :-) Oh, and does anyone know if there are any in Dylan references in tmbg songs? Or if the Johns have ever said anything about him? the sfc -- -- ***********************SIGMORPHER V1.0************************ *much madness is divinest sense / to a discerning eye; * *much sense the starkest madness. / 't is the majority / * *In this, as all, prevails. / Assent, and you are sane; * *demur,-- you're straightway dangerous / and handled * *with a chain emily dickinson * ***********************sfc software 97************************ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <361E1F1B.1FAABB1B@cnr.edu> Date: Fri, 09 Oct 1998 10:35:07 -0400 From: "Sarah Starr" Subject: Re: TMBG: Who Here is Right Wing? > :>> I'd be more interested in the fan's political affiliation, I don't > :>> personally know any right wing TMBG fans. > > Here's a loop for ya. I'm a registered (due paying) Libertarian. > I think I am a Libertarian as far as my viewpoint goes, but I don't have the money to pay dues and stuff.....I am a fiscal conservative and very, very interested in getting the government out of my face in general. sarah faye whose last name is a mass of incandescent gas ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981009153109.29188.rocketmail@attach1.rocketmail.com> Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 08:31:09 -0700 (PDT) From: Danielle Gaither Subject: Re: TMBG: Bob Dylan Might Be Good Music ---thesfc wrote: > Hey, I was just wondering how many listees like Bob Dylan. It seems > that quite a few should since TMBG and Bob Dylan both write awesome > lyrics. Of course, Dylan creams TMBG into the ground, hehe. Someone > mentioned how some TMBG songs you wanna' try and decipher, and others > you wonder if you should be trying. Dylan has songs in both categories > and then some in just about any other categories. Oh, if anyone hates I think you could say this about most really good songwriters. > Dylan, I'd like to know to :-) Oh, and does anyone know if there are > any in Dylan references in tmbg songs? Or if the Johns have ever said > anything about him? Well, in a lot of their recent concerts, the improv section of "Spy" has led into "Mr. Tambourine Man", so I think it's safe to say they're familiar with his work. ;) > the sfc Like a rolling stone, Inspector Over the Mine === http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/1054/index.html I tried in vain to drive myself insane; I talk to myself but I don't listen. --Elvis Costello _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19981009121230.007c3990@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Fri, 09 Oct 1998 12:12:30 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Atlanta meetings an' stuff Ummmm....there was some mail passed around earlier about meeting up before the Atlanta show on Sat. Originally, the guy who's driving told me that he had a meeting to attend that would run pretty late (thus keeping me from any pre-show get-togethers), but it turns out he was wrong. So, um, let me know what was decided upon and I'll try my best to be there. :-) -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <9dc3a0fd.361e3cb9@aol.com> Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 12:41:29 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Bob Dylan Might Be Good Music >> Hey, I was just wondering how many listees like Bob Dylan. It seems >> that quite a few should since TMBG and Bob Dylan both write awesome >> lyrics. Of course, Dylan creams TMBG into the ground, hehe. Someone >> mentioned how some TMBG songs you wanna' try and decipher, and others >> you wonder if you should be trying. Dylan has songs in both categories heck, i like music because of the *music*. great lyrics are a bonus. they could be the best lyrics in the world written to a piece of backstreet boy shit (although i think the odds of that happening are mighty slim) and i would ...certainly not be interested. i don't care about deciphering tmbg songs. maybe i'm the only one. but i like the *music* and the *voices*.... on a totally unrelated note. i saw the tragically hip last night. left 15 minutes into their set because of the rowdy crowd... i had to get out of there alive. it was unbearable. such a shame, i love that band. just made me appreciate tmbg fans more. sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981009164909.6665.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Bob Dylan Might Be Good Music Date: Fri, 09 Oct 1998 09:49:06 PDT the sfc wrote: >Oh, and does anyone know if there are >any in Dylan references in tmbg songs? Or if the Johns have ever >said >anything about him? The Johns have said that the title to "Absolutely Bill's Mood" (in particular, the "absolutetly" part) is supposed to sound like a Dylan title. The TMBG version of "New York City" uses "Dylan" in place of "King Kong." "Mr. Tambourine Man" was the inspiration for Mr. Tambo and Urine Man (of "Weep Day" fame), and, as Danielle mentioned, was played at several recent concerts. -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 11:57:51 -0500 (CDT) From: Kim Justice Subject: TMBG: [off-topic] Sifl & Olly? Message-ID: Okay, I'm hopelessly addicted. Who else will confess to watching this silly thing? kj is crescent fresh [Crucial Disclaimer: Not everyone on the list agrees with me.] -- justicek@edge.net (Kim Justice) http://edge.edge.net/~justicek We are what you made us. -- Miri ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 12:58:47 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: [off-topic] Sifl & Olly? >Okay, I'm hopelessly addicted. >Who else will confess to watching this silly thing? >kj is crescent fresh crecent fresh! woo hoo! i love this show. :] the bad thing is, it's on at 12:30, my favorite is on at 12:35 (conan!) which only leaves me 5 minutes to watch it (and commercial breaks)... or if conan has a repeat on.. i don't get it, mtv which airs stuff all the time.. only has one time slot for S&O. i love the rotating skull intro for interview time... with the flowered background and the "bah bahbah bahbah bah bah bah" song... it's so tmbg. :) rockfactsrockfactsrockfacts! sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001501bdf3a9$7d1e4400$a5b3a4c1@squid> From: "Uncle Squid" Subject: TMBG: John Henry sighting Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 18:22:43 +0100 While walking through the mean (and often obscene) streets of the quaint town of Colchester of which I inhabit, I saw a bright red truck with "John Henry" written in big fuck-off white letters along it's side. I think they are a building firm... cool or what! ----------------------- Uncle Squid xxx Hot from Hell and Hades for Gentlemen and Ladies xxx ICQ: 12605535 [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <58c7b191.361e46c4@aol.com> Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 13:24:20 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: John Henry sighting In a message dated 10/9/98 1:19:35 PM, squid@thelimes.keme.co.uk writes: >While walking through the mean (and often obscene) streets of the quaint >town of Colchester of which I inhabit, I saw a bright red truck with "John >Henry" written in big fuck-off white letters along it's side. I think they >are a building firm... cool or what! once in toronto, i saw a truck that said: "our FACTORY is our SHOWROOM!" funny... sarah ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19981009134859.00913440@EMail.Psu.Edu> Date: Fri, 09 Oct 1998 13:48:59 -0400 From: Jason Fickley Subject: Re: TMBG: [off-topic] Sifl & Olly? >Okay, I'm hopelessly addicted. >Who else will confess to watching this silly thing? >kj is crescent fresh I had been addicted to that show for a few weeks but I didn't really know why. Probably because of the concept of sock puppets discussing adult subject matter. The sock puppet hooker was hilarious, with the Sea World thing. oh yeah, that and Calls from the public. I've been watching Conan again, however... --Jason-- "I like Pittsburgh. It's a lot better than Cleveland. Cleveland sucks." -Michael Shelley ------------------------------ From: ErgoTM@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 16:00:22 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: [off-topic] Sifl & Olly? Sifl and Olly is the best show on MTV right now. It rocks. Jeff "He is Crescent Fresh, super cres at best" Craig ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 00:05:25 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Who Here is Uptight? Message-ID: <19981008.000727.4550.1.particle.man@juno.com> From: particle.man@juno.com (Anon Y Mous) I'm not responding to anybody in particular, I just saw this title many times. What's wrong with being a conservative and why are all conservatives uptight? I am a conservative. Basically that means I don't believe in killing babies, giving gays special rights, giving people special rights because of their ethnic background, and couldn't give a rat's ass about political correctness. I can't say that all conservatives are all those things, and I probably forgot to list some stuff that goes along with my conservativeness, but I felt like throwing in a couple pennies. ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19981009095615.007542e0@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Fri, 09 Oct 1998 15:31:09 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: posters, politics >I mean, if you happened to look at the wall and see >>a >>Severe Tire Damage tour poster taped to it, wouldn't you carefully >>remove >>it from the wall and sneak it back out to the car? Of course you >>would. > >Actually, I probably wouldn't. Why the heck not?? Venues commonly put on posters to advertise upcoming shows, marked with the date of said show. I'm virtually certain that they're destined for the trash bin after the show. Why shouldn't they go to a fan? I myself have a Moxy Fruvous poster that I acquired in similar circumstances; it's now proudly hanging on my wall next to my collection o'setlists. (Three so far--two Eddie From Ohio, one Fruvous.) Political affiliation: last time I registered, I checked the "other" box and wrote in "Tupperware". I'd register Green or Peace'n'Freedom if they could convince me that they can run an economy. Ideologically, I'm *very* left-wing: absolutely positively pro-choice, legalize pot, recognize gay marraiges and adoption rights, get censorware out of libraries and classrooms, the whole bit. Fiscally I'm a bit more conservative. --nicole the wonder nerd *** "Who better to capture the beauty and poignancy of youth and true love than Barbie and Ken!"--from the back of the "Barbie and Ken as Romeo and Juliet" box Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn ICQ #11984736 Public PGP key at http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn/key.html ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <361E9235.E4682FA5@btc.adaptec.com> Date: Fri, 09 Oct 1998 16:46:13 -0600 From: Russ Josephson Organization: Adaptec, Inc Subject: TMBG: TMBG on FX Sunday night! Help! Hello, http://www.rockontv.com/sun.html says that TMBG will be on TV sunday evening! 10:00 pm (eastern time) FX Penn & Teller's Sin City Spectacular actor Harry Dean Stanton and his band play the Blues, and the hit alternative group, They Might Be Giants perform two numbers But I don't get FX channel! Can someone tape this for the TMBG Video Bootleg Vol 4? I'll gladly trade from my large TMBG video collection. Check my web page for what I've got. Please tape VHS-HiFi at SP speed on High Grade tape for best results. Lately I've been buying Maxell HiFi (purple box) tapes at Sam's Club for $12/5-pack, a great price! Russ -- WORK: HOME: Adaptec, Inc. Russ Josephson 1951 S. Fordham St. 1217 N. Aspen Dr. Longmont, CO 80503 Berthoud, CO 80513-1040 Phone: (303) 684-4722 (970) 532-0453 Fax: (303) 684-3020 (970) 690-1509 (cellular) mailto:russj@btc.adaptec.com mailto:russj@juno.com http://www.adaptec.com http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/7158 ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 19:14:39 -0400 (EDT) From: Kevin Keeler Subject: TMBG: countdown to christmas (party time) Message-ID: just wanted to rub it in every ones faces...a mrer matter of minutes (well...about 40, actually) until i head down to cincinnatti for my semi-annual dose of Them... basically i rarely post and this just seemed like a good excuse. managed to snag two people who normally wouldnt go, also... converts? heh heh so long...i shall hope it kicks --kevin ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 17:23:39 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: Bob Dylan Might Be Good Music Message-ID: <19981009.174744.11094.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> >The Johns have said that the title to "Absolutely Bill's Mood" (in >particular, the "absolutetly" part) is supposed to sound like a Dylan >title. The TMBG version of "New York City" uses "Dylan" in place of >"King Kong." "Mr. Tambourine Man" was the inspiration for Mr. Tambo >and >Urine Man (of "Weep Day" fame), and, as Danielle mentioned, was played > >at several recent concerts. not to mention their stunning cover of Lay Lady Lay back in '94 take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html ________________________________________________________________ Get secure free e-mail that you don't need Web access to use from Juno, the world's second largest online service. Download your free software at http://www.juno.com/getit.b.html. ------------------------------ From: Kreadoubt@aol.com Message-ID: <834bb3f3.361eaf8e@aol.com> Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 20:51:26 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Potty Mouth In a message dated 10/9/98 3:58:13 AM Pacific Daylight Time, stewart@ref.collins.co.uk writes: << Not that I could replace Julian Koster, but at least that gives me an excuse to say that I'm going to see Julian and his band (Neutral Milk Hotel) on Monday. Wheee! >> Not that this REALLY matters...but at the La Luna show in OR last month Linnell had found a "saw" on his keyboard and used that as the singing saw solo. It worked pretty well, but I still prefer it when they sing "La laaa la laaa la laaa" I crack up everytime I see them do that.... :) As for the Potty Mouth stuff...I prefer the lack of "colorful metaphors" myself. -kreadoubt "They've asked us not to swear tonight. SO! We're NOT going to swear...we'll leave the swearing to YOU!" JF ------------------------------ Message-ID: <361EC6CC.D82E61FD@mail.netnitco.net> Date: Fri, 09 Oct 1998 21:30:37 -0500 From: Melissa Cowan Subject: more Non-Tmbg Re: Non-TMBG: Who Here is Uptight? my C3-P0 pez dispenser broke at the concert in Chicago last year when our congo line tripped and fell. Melissa "The Backstreet Boys are evil and I have a personal vendetta against them." p.s. ask me about my vendetta sometime Alterian@aol.com wrote: > It depends on several factors: how much sleep I've had, how much pez I've > eaten, and if I'm in trouble. I'm guessing you can figure out when I'm in > which mind. > -Amber the Alterian ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #11-10 ******************************