Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #11-11 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 11, Number 11 Sunday, 11 October 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: The apes do occasionally win, apparently NONTMBG: What it takes to be Conservative? (LONG) TMBG: FX Re: TMBG: FX Re: TMBG: Who Here is Uptight? TMBG: TMBG RING NON-TMBG: Sifl & Olly Re: TMBG: FX TMBG: tmbg on "universal buzz" Re: TMBG: Who Here is Uptighy? TMBG: Video Comp, etc... Re: TMBG: Video Comp, etc... TMBG: Something different... Re: TMBG: tmbg on "universal buzz" Re: TMBG: tmbg on "universal buzz" Re: TMBG: Something different... TMBG: Brian Dewan 7" Re: TMBG: Who Here is Uptighy? TMBG: Atlanta show... aww yeah... Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <2.2.32.19981010160209.00e357e8@mail.utexas.edu> Date: Sat, 10 Oct 1998 11:02:09 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: TMBG: The apes do occasionally win, apparently My brother went to both Chicago shows, and apparently the Apes won on one of the nights. >Return-Path: >Delivered-To: mitcharf@mail.utexas.edu >From: Harf314159@aol.com >Date: Sat, 10 Oct 1998 03:11:07 EDT >To: mitcharf@mail.utexas.edu >Subject: Re: Check this out > >In a message dated 98-10-09 16:31:24 EDT, you write: > >>>>All right, we'll have to tour the world with a polka band then, though. >>> >>>Done and done. >> >>And you mean done. >> >>So did the apes really win? > >Indeed they did. >How can you think that I would mislead you in this matter? Harf, Mitch "The world is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper." - Bertrand Russell http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~mitcharf/index.html Support the Harf Project: http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~mitcharf/harfproj.html All your questions answered, all your problems solved: http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/mitch/ask820/ask820.html ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 10 Oct 1998 12:43:40 -0400 (EDT) From: "Jason A. Glastetter" Subject: NONTMBG: What it takes to be Conservative? (LONG) Message-ID: >>[Being conservative means]Basicall that means I don't believe inkilling >>babies, giving gays special rights, giving people special rights because >>of their ethnic background, and couldn't give a rat's ass about >>political correctness. Because, of course, all liberal believe in killing babies, giving people special rights, and are politically correct. Damn, that has nothing to do with being conservative...well, maybe it does, but still...I think all those things aren't definitily exclusive of being conservative. Personally,I am so much NOT conservative & here's what I believe in: Not oppressing women, giving all people EQUAL rights (not special, for example, I believe gay couples should have the same rights that any other couple has, but nothing additional)...maybe my point is not so much on my beliefs, but that one should be careful about stating their beliefs. Here's some additional things I don't like: The Flat Tax, lowering taxes on the rich, raising taxes on the poor (I, in fact, believe that the rich show pay 90% of their money when they get over 1million dollars, while the poor should pay almost nothing)...I think these things make me liberal & I think the are the more important things (money, capitalism) when deciding a political party I will become affiliated with. I am officially registered as nothing. I am disgusted by the fact we only get 2 choices. (In NH we only get one sometimes) Just to show my disgust I am voting for people who aren't on the ballot...if a guy is running & is unmatched & he only gets 80% of the vote, it shows us something... jason "damn, this was long" glastetter Surprisingly we got electricity, & the next day we got conected to the web http://www.poingly.com because some music sucks more than others... ------------------------------ From: TMBGibs@aol.com Message-ID: <1c10f7d6.361f98ff@aol.com> Date: Sat, 10 Oct 1998 13:27:27 EDT Subject: TMBG: FX everyone here does know that FX is fox 31 (cable channel 7) right??? ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19981010133209.007b5240@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Sat, 10 Oct 1998 13:32:09 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: FX Um, maybe where you live... :-) Also, I think you're confusing a Fox affiliate station with fX.... -Adam At 01:27 PM 10/10/98 EDT, TMBGibs@aol.com wrote: >everyone here does know that FX is fox 31 (cable channel 7) right??? -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: TMBGibs@aol.com Message-ID: <56f101c0.361f995b@aol.com> Date: Sat, 10 Oct 1998 13:28:59 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Who Here is Uptight? Thank you, i mean what all does it matter??? ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001301bdf47f$bff880c0$87ab30cf@cpdog.rma.edu> From: "Tim Clark" Subject: TMBG: TMBG RING Date: Sat, 10 Oct 1998 14:56:53 -0400 Hello all. Tim Clark here, ringmaster of the Ring Might Be Giants web-ring. The web-ring has grown pretty freakin big now actually. There are 82 people in the ring and another 30 people in the queue. NOW, I am not going to add you guys in the queue unless you PUT THE CODE THAT'S SUPPOSED TO BE ON THE PAGE, ON THE PAGE! I chekced about 10-15 sites in the queue and about 2 of them had the appropriate code on there. Now, its no skin off my teeth if you don't want to add the code, but don't expected to be added to the great ring that is TMBG. ALSO, some of the people in the queue have added the code but NOT put in their site id. Well that's no good either! The cgi script can't figure out what the next site is, if you have &id_____. You need to put your id number in there. Also, some of you who are in the ring currently have one of the above mentioned problems. You really should fix them. It sucks for people who are going from site to site and then have to go back to the last site because YOUR site doesn't have the code on it. That's not cool. Anyway, now that I am done bitching...thanks for listening. --Tim Clark ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981010193844.6900.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Scott Reed" Subject: NON-TMBG: Sifl & Olly Date: Sat, 10 Oct 1998 14:38:44 CDT >>Okay, I'm hopelessly addicted. >>Who else will confess to watching this silly thing? >>kj is crescent fresh > >crecent fresh! woo hoo! i love this show. :] the bad thing is, it's >on at 12:30, my favorite is on at 12:35 (conan!) which only leaves me >5 minutes to watch it (and commercial breaks)... or if conan has a >repeat on.. i don't get it, mtv which airs stuff all the time.. only >has one time slot for S&O. >i love the rotating skull intro for interview time... with the >flowered background and the "bah bahbah bahbah bah bah bah" song... >it's so tmbg. :) I have a passing fancy with Sifl & Olly. I think it's one of those shows that doesn't make you laugh continually through the entirety of it, but is still very funny. Kind of like Space Ghost. I love the continual references to Bjork in the Rockfacts. I think the "bah bahbahbah bah-bah bah" interview tune sounds more like Stereolab. Bjorky P.S Does anyone know if there are any sites w/ Sifl & Olly stuff: sound bits, video, other? Bjorky thinks Sifl & Olly should interview the Johns' socks. ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <44a8fd70.361fc11b@aol.com> Date: Sat, 10 Oct 1998 16:18:35 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: FX In a message dated 10/10/98 1:29:19 PM, TMBGibs@aol.com writes: >everyone here does know that FX is fox 31 (cable channel 7) right??? > hey, tmbgibs... we live in rochester. channels are different for everyone in every city. ch. 7 only applies to like, 3 of us. not only that, but that's fox. we don't get fx. (it's a sepearte channel.) sarah ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <546ea027.361fc431@aol.com> Date: Sat, 10 Oct 1998 16:31:45 EDT Subject: TMBG: tmbg on "universal buzz" well. i was in buffalo to see zee lovely barenaked ladies. i stopped at my uncle's house and he had like this... newspaper entertainment magazine thing.. in there there was an ad for universal buzz radio (which originated here in rochester on wber, now syndicated thank you very much!) and it said TMBG'd be on october 15th. (ween the week before) this is just in buffalo, so... beth, this applies you you i guess. :) the website is www.universalbuzz.com - it lists stations that play it, so any of you can see if you get it.. (( i'm *guessing* the show they'll play is the 3/25/95 (? or is it 24?) rochester show that they always play. )) rochester isn't scheduled to play a tmbg one anytime soon, so check yer local station to see. sarah ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 10 Oct 1998 20:06:10 EST From: "I AM SLOWLY GOING CRAZY. ONE, TWO, THREE, FOUR, FIVE, SIX, SWITCH" Message-ID: <009CD811.E2F1BF80.28@kenyon.edu> Subject: Re: Re: TMBG: Who Here is Uptighy? This is in response to the person who questioned why conservatives are uptight and called every pro-choice person out there baby-killers. Wow. If I was a conservative, I would be a little offended by what this "Anon Y Mous" character is sending out as representing what I believed in. I mean, maybe this person is prejudiced against certain groups and hates homosexuals, but I can't believe that every conservative out there is this ignorant. In fact, I know many conservatives who would disagree with what this person typed. And about abortion. Hmm... this person defines conservatism as such: "Basically that means I don't believe in killing babies..." Yep. But I bet that this person also doesn't believe in welfare. I bet that once these babies are alive, this person wouldn't give a "rat's ass" about what happens to them. I bet that this person wouldn't give a "rat's ass" about whether or not this child is beaten, starved, abused, left in a dumpster... I know people who read the newspapers or watch the news on television hear about this stuff happening all the time. Maybe if these teenagers would have had the option of abortion, they wouldn't have ended up killing their babies. See, they aren't "babies" until they are born. People nowadays correctly call them fetuses. But sure, this person can call him/herself a conservative, that's fine. But, maybe this person should look up the term "reactionary" in the dictionary. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981011003142.2059.rocketmail@send203.yahoomail.com> Date: Sat, 10 Oct 1998 17:31:42 -0700 (PDT) From: "Connie K." Subject: TMBG: Video Comp, etc... Does anyone know where I can buy a TMBG Video Compilation? I've been looking for some time, but to no avail. Help! Also, I think I converted one of my non-TMBG friends into a fan! I was listening to STD on the way home from marching band today, when she asked to listen. I played "Dr. Worm", "WDTSS?," "Particle Man," and "She's an Angel" for her and she loved it! Maybe I'll have 2 friends to go to concerts with now instead of just one! Yay! Connie "I'm not creative enough to have a quirky middle name" K. _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19981011003446.00edf478@mail.utexas.edu> Date: Sat, 10 Oct 1998 19:34:46 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: Video Comp, etc... At 05:31 PM 10/10/98 -0700, you wrote: >Does anyone know where I can buy a TMBG Video Compilation? I've been >looking for some time, but to no avail. Help! You'll probably want to wait, since the new one is coming out before Christmas and it will have all of the videos up to and including Dr. Worm. Harf, Mitch "I don't even write my last name, so forget having a middle name" "Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~mitcharf/index.html Support the Harf Project: http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~mitcharf/harfproj.html All your questions answered, all your problems solved: http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/mitch/ask820/ask820.html ------------------------------ From: TMBGibs@aol.com Message-ID: <8d6b935.36201209@aol.com> Date: Sat, 10 Oct 1998 22:03:53 EDT Subject: TMBG: Something different... I need to know where on the web can i find some Mono Puff midis. If anyone knows, PLEASE tell me. Oh yeah, How many of you live in NY? Me "its fun to break a heart..." ------------------------------ From: Tmbg4life@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 10 Oct 1998 23:05:32 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg on "universal buzz" umm that is an invalid web address. you must've typed it in wrong In a message dated 10/10/98 4:33:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time, KdsInThHal@aol.com writes: << www.universalbuzz.com >> ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <8d72287.362020aa@aol.com> Date: Sat, 10 Oct 1998 23:06:18 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg on "universal buzz" >umm that is an invalid web address. you must've typed it in wrong > >In a message dated 10/10/98 4:33:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time, KdsInThHal@aol.com >writes: > ><< www.universalbuzz.com >> > no it isn't. works fine. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 10 Oct 1998 23:51:23 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Something different... Message-ID: <19981011.000801.13798.0.Superman75@juno.com> From: superman75@juno.com (Adam Schaaf) hi. >Oh yeah, How many of you live in NY? hey, whatever became of the guy who was creating the giant map of listees across the globe? is it actually up somewhere or did this thing fall through? your underking of pop trivia, adam schaaf * ------------------------------------------ Philly Tour Dates Oct. 13 - TMBG!!!!!! Oct. 24 - Soul Coughing!!! Oct. 27 - Garbage!!! Oct. 31 - The Misfits in NYC!!! * ------------------------------------------ ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Subject: TMBG: Brian Dewan 7" Message-ID: <19981010.224041.4446.4.TMBgirl@juno.com> Date: Sun, 11 Oct 1998 00:44:00 EDT Hey HEY Kiddies! I just found a new(?) Brian Dewan 7" at http://www.pal-mailorder.com INFORMATION Artist: Dewan, Brian Title: Free Lunch Label: Kitty Boo Format: 7" Price: $5.75 DESCRIPTION The classic children's story by J.otto Seibold and Vivian Walsh as read by Brian Dewan. More info from http://www.tiger-town.com/kittyboo/ FREE LUNCH 7" by J.otto Seibold/Vivian Walsh/Brian Dewan kittyboo record #BOO!-005 full color cover/labels, festive yellow vinyl Ambrose and his avian friends are not happy. A new, bad elephant has taken over the Elephant Brand Bird Seed Company, and the new bird seeds taste like rocks. Our canine hero, Mr. Lunch, and Ambrose hatch a scheme to get their own bird seeds, much to the bad elephant's chagrin. The bad elephant modifies a few city restriction codes and gets Mr. Lunch arrested and thrown in jail. Will the bad elephant prevail? Will Mr. Lunch serve a life sentence? And what happened to the good elephant? Find out with KittyBoo's first storybook 7" -- J.otto Seibold & Vivian Walsh's Free Lunch. oh yeah, check out http://www.word.com/homepage/features/indexfeatures.html for a groovy I-Can-See filmstrip he did, "Before The White Man Came." :) take it easy, JOrdaN *the wonders of a net-search* http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html Finally updated... 10/10/98 :) ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000c01bdf4d7$16f2d180$b4ab30cf@cpdog.rma.edu> From: "Tim Clark" Subject: Re: Re: TMBG: Who Here is Uptighy? Date: Sun, 11 Oct 1998 01:21:54 -0400 >Maybe if these teenagers would have had the option of abortion, they wouldn't >have ended up killing their babies. See, they aren't "babies" until they are >born. People nowadays correctly call them fetuses. I have a question. If 1 hour after the baby was born I went up and stuck a pair of scissors into its skull and ripped its brain out, would you find this wrong? I am assuming NOT, since 1 hour before the exact same operation is done but merely inside of the mother. I fail to see a difference myself, but perhaps you could explain it? If we put the "baby" (it is now a baby correct, whereas an hour before it was a fetus?) into a container, and then through the container we ripped its brain out, would that be more ok? Also, the only reason people call them "fetus" is because its a word that doesn't carry meaning. Fetus, sounds like a disgusting thing, I think that's why it was chosen. Have you ever heard a pregnant woman say "I shouldn't eat that, its not good for my fetus?" Or "I'm having a fetus?" NOBODY says that. ------------------------------ From: Monotreme3@aol.com Message-ID: <852e8dc2.36204233@aol.com> Date: Sun, 11 Oct 1998 01:29:23 EDT Subject: TMBG: Atlanta show... aww yeah... Wow. That's all I gots ta say. Fuckin' wow. I mean... damn. That show rocked. I got my shirt signed for the first time... I was up close for the first time... I wasn't annoyed by anyone for the first time... TMBG was at their highest level of TMBGoodness. Oh yes. It rocked. I met two listies, Adam and Jeff, and then some other people whose names I can't quite remember. Oh and Julie and her boyfriend, who seemed to disappear spontaneously right before the show started. Everyone was really nice, and I'm sure I speak for Kay, her mom, and Robyn ('cause they said it, too) when I say... yes... yes... They Might Be Giants rock. So, that's it. I'd give you a set list, but it would probably be incorrect and backasswards... so... I'll leave it up to the more compitent listees who were there, too. I will say that they played all the songs that at the end of a concert you might be like "aww they didn't play *this* one." Well... maybe not all. Maybe you wanted them to play Boat of Car or something. But, yeah... DLS, Ana Ng, Birdhouse, Particle Man, Istanbul, etc. And no XTC, which made me happy. They had *lots* of little extras and they were in high, high spirits. Flansy signed after the show, but as usual, Linnell kinda dipped out. Anyways... I's tired. I's going to bed pretty soon. Thank you, and good night. And oh yeah... to TMBGibs... I think that's right. I've been wanting to ask you for the longest time why it is that you always post about having access to really neat stuff that a lot of people may want really bad, but you never *ever* even consider saying "yeah I can make a copy of it for you" or anything. You just kinda say "Yeah, I have this!" and that's it. "And why is that? Do you think?" -Carey "Their cousin called Monotreme, dead uncle Allotheria...." ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #11-11 ******************************