Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #11-15 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 11, Number 15 Thursday, 15 October 1998 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Potty-Mouthed Re: TMBG: They Might Be Potty-Mouthed Re: TMBG: They Might Be Potty-Mouthed Re: TMBG: They Might Be Potty-Mouthed TMBG: tmbg selling out?!?!? Re: TMBG: tmbg selling out?!?!? TMBG: Boston show? Re: TMBG: tmbg selling out?!?!? Re: TMBG: misheard lyrics Re: TMBG: tmbg selling out?!?!? TMBG: the consolidation of topics Re: TMBG: misheard lyrics, lack of originality thereof Re: TMBG: misheard lyrics TMBG: new york shows TMBG: Fan Club or Newsletter distributor address TMBG: Carrboro & Misheard TMBG: selling out? (long, with apologies) TMBG: tmbg on J files 22nd Oct Re: TMBG: They Might Be Potty-Mouthed Ian McKaye is GOD. {Was: TMBG: selling out?} (none) Re: TMBG: misheard lyrics TMBG: Cincy show 10/9 Re: TMBG:musical mutation TMBG: Concert Rumors TMBG: upstate NY Re: TMBG: Atlanta show... aww yeah... Re: TMBG: Misheard TMBG lyrics? Re: TMBG: misheard lyrics -Reply Re: TMBG: upstate NY TMBG: carrboro/chapel hell NON_TMBG: Man or Astro-Man in VA Re: TMBG: Absolutley / youth / BGJ skills / the John's sweatfor sale :) Re: NON_TMBG: Man or Astro-Man in VA NON-TMBG: Man or Astro-Man?????? Re: TMBG: Absolutley / youth / BGJ skills / the John's sweatfor sale :) Re: NON-TMBG: Man or Astro-Man?????? Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <19981014030525.26011.rocketmail@web4.rocketmail.com> Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 20:05:25 -0700 (PDT) From: Danielle Gaither Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Potty-Mouthed ---Phil Jackson wrote: > Personally I'm offended that you could suggest such a thing...The johns > selling out?? no way. The music of tmbg isn't for them about publicity, > it's a personal project for the two of them. > ~Eric "Action" Jackson~ While I'm not *offended* by the suggestion that the Johns might be selling out, I don't think that's the case. They've been at this for over 15 years now, and I imagine that if they were going to sell out that they would have done so by now. And honestly, I can't think of anyone who listens to any musician solely for the number of times they swear on stage (or anywhere else). If they want to sell out, they're gonna have to do more than throw in an occasional "fuck" on stage. Besides, come on, these are the people who brought you "Kiss Me, Son of God" and "I Palindrome I." We're not dealing with choir boys here, folks. Perhaps they're swearing more because they're tired of being accused of selling out with every move they make. ;) Prying her tongue from her cheek with a crowbar, Inspector Over the Mine === http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/1054/index.html I tried in vain to drive myself insane; I talk to myself but I don't listen. --Elvis Costello _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 22:24:05 -0500 (CDT) From: bill tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Potty-Mouthed Message-ID: On Mon, 12 Oct 1998 tmbgirl@juno.com wrote: > yes... a couple of theories > #1 they've hit their mid-life era and they're beginning to feel > disconnected from the youth, (a lot of which is) their fans. I'd be inclined to agree on that one. Just look at the albums they've been putting out, and the growing maturity on each one. "Flood" might as well be a children's album (with some notable exceptions), and onward until "Factory Showroom", which is pretty damn close to a straight-out pop album (same with John Henry). I would be more likely to say that they've been growing into (gasp!) a "normal" band. I mean, we don't get stuff like "32 Footsteps" or "Minimum Wage" anymore... > #2 they're desperately trying to sell-out and so, they think cussing > makes 'em look cooler... become more appealing to the teeny-boppers. I > think this goes along with the "we're gonna play Dr. Worm twice at every > show" thing. I don't know about that one, Jordan. I mean, they've played either "Istanbul," "Birdhouse in Your Soul," or "Particle Man" (or any combination, or all three) at every concert I've ever seen or heard (with the possible exception of the one show--12/31/92, in Philly, I think?--where they play the entire first album together...but I think they even played one of the above then). The twice a show thing for "Dr. Worm" I really don't understand...but whatever. Sigh. The Rev |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| | Reverend Bill Tatalovich | Home page: | | | http://students.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/ | | wt3@cec.wustl.edu |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ | personnel@kwur.wustl.edu | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 23:58:15 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Potty-Mouthed In a message dated 98-10-13 23:27:21 EDT, you write: > The twice a show thing for "Dr. Worm" > I really don't understand...but whatever. Hey, Dr. Worm is a good song, so I won't complain... ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19981014000527.007b2640@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 00:05:27 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Potty-Mouthed At 11:58 PM 10/13/98 EDT, EmarZero@aol.com wrote: > >Hey, Dr. Worm is a good song, so I won't complain... I told Flans after the Atlanta show that I was really hoping to hear Working Undercover For The Man, and he said that their sets have been running a bit too long lately and that it was a matter of deciding what to play and what to cut. If time is such a concern, then why play one song twice? It *is* a good song and I don't mind hearing it twice (I can't say that about all their songs), but I think they could better utilize that time... -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: wagner@mindspring.com Message-ID: <000c01bdf728$b6702fc0$dc8145cf@computer> Subject: TMBG: tmbg selling out?!?!? Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 00:11:24 -0400 i for one would never guess that tmbg would ever be accused of selling out. on what grounds cool someone say that tmbg are sell-outs? how often do you see their videos on mtv? (during the credits on 120 minutes -- 2am on monday morning!) how often do you hear their songs on the radio? how often do you hear about they might be giants in the media (like on the news, entertainment news shows, vh1, mtv)? i think that a band that could be accused of selling out would be (and i'm NOT trying to start any flame wars here!) the barenaked ladies -- they went from being a small, canadian band (they're canadian, right?), with a small following to having their video played over and over on mtv, they're on award shows now, they're becoming a household name. now, i'm not trashing barenaked ladies -- i like the band. i'm only using them as an example of selling out. but hey, maybe i'm wrong here. mabye they aren't sellouts. but look at them -- "stunt" is their what, 5th, 6th album?, and all of the sudden they're one of the hottest bands in the business. whoever accused tmbg of selling out certainly does have a lot of gaude. david ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 22:18:21 -0600 (MDT) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg selling out?!?!? Message-ID: On Wed, 14 Oct 1998 wagner@mindspring.com wrote: > whoever accused tmbg of selling out certainly does have a lot of gaude. > david a lot of what? --jim kuemmerle, singing steeleye span's "gaudete" in latin with a really thick british accent... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 00:20:40 -0400 (EDT) From: LN Subject: TMBG: Boston show? Message-ID: Hi all, just jumping out of lurk mode to tell y'all that I'll be at the Avalon show tommorrow nite... tho for once, I feel not like lining up 4 hours before the show, though I might still see y'all, you know who you are... -=ellen=- "Back in deepest, darkest Massachussetts..." ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19981014001831.007b7820@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 00:18:31 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg selling out?!?!? At 10:18 PM 10/13/98 -0600, Jim Kuemmerle wrote: > >a lot of what? I think he meant 'gall'. Anyway, if TMBG are trying to sell out, they're not doing a very good job. -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981014042114.14677.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: Re: TMBG: misheard lyrics Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 21:21:13 PDT >This isn't TMBG but its still funny. In hearing the song Lucy in the >Sky With Diamonds by the Beatles I thought that the line "The girl with >kaledescope eyes" was "The girl with colitis go by" > Are you absolutly sure? because I read that joke in the book "'S'cuse me while I kiss this guy". Somehow, your statment just doesn't seem original, And I wonder why... Hmm. Isn't it funny when you think you're the only person on the face of the earth to read a certain book or see a certain movie? Ha. Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com ICQ#: 17262308 contact me! http://profiles.yahoo.com/LeChuck/ Mandrake: Colonel! Colonel, I must know what you think has been going on here! Guano: You wanna know what I think? Mandrake: Yes! Guano: I think you're some kind of deviated prevert. I think General Ripper found out about your preversion, and you were organizing some kind of mutiny of preverts. Now MOVE!! --"Dr. Strangelove OR How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: CajunGram@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 00:23:03 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg selling out?!?!? In a message dated 98-10-14 00:12:14 EDT, you write: << i think that a band that could be accused of selling out would be (and i'm NOT trying to start any flame wars here!) the barenaked ladies -- they went from being a small, canadian band (they're canadian, right?), with a small following to having their video played over and over on mtv, they're on award shows now, they're becoming a household name >> Hmm.. I at least from what I believe (insert the don't hate my opinions disclaimer here), having a band get popular is a good thing. If I had an band, although the main purpose would be to make the music, but it would sure be nice to be able to make a comfortable living off my music, and gaining popularity would be a good thing. Now, don't be all "You don't understand, you're not a musician" on me now, I've been playing guitar for 5 years and I'm sort of in a band, and I would love to become famous and make tons of money doing something I love. If that makes me a sell out, then sell out I am, but I would like to think that it makes me a person who would like to get paid for making music. I would also be very happy that lots of people were getting joy out of the music that I created. Some people I know say that doens't make me a true musician, i say it just make me practical. Oh well, it's long, but I had slipped into lurk mode for the past year or so, so whta the hell? Graham Sell out, with me oh yeah Sell out, with me tonight The record company's gonna give me lots of money And everything's gonna be alright ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 22:24:16 -0600 (MDT) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: the consolidation of topics Message-ID: On Tue, 13 Oct 1998 tmbgirl@juno.com wrote: (or: why once again i disagree with brother john.) > >The point of this email... as long as it may be... was to say > >"Consolidate > >your email!" > > i'm impressed... when i first joined the list ages and ages ago i did > this (mostly cuz i only got the digest at that time) but i just figured > it sucked to consolidate cuz then the subject lines are wacked (people > can't follow threads). and *this* is the reason why i disagree with you, john, about the consolidation of threads. actually, for this very reason, i'm actually in favor of *splitting* threads, in case part of it veers off-topic but another part stays there. --jim kuemmerle, who's just as in favor of splitting bananas... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 22:43:48 -0600 (MDT) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: misheard lyrics, lack of originality thereof Message-ID: On Tue, 13 Oct 1998, Josh Buckland wrote: > Are you absolutly sure? because I read that joke in the book "'S'cuse me > while I kiss this guy". Somehow, your statment just doesn't seem > original, And I wonder why... Hmm. Isn't it funny when you think you're > the only person on the face of the earth to read a certain book or see a > certain movie? Ha. hm. it wouldn't have gotten into the book if people hadn't misheard it that way originally. --jim kuemmerle, who hadn't heard of the book till now but has been singing "'scuse me while i kiss this guy" for several years... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 01:07:27 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: misheard lyrics In a message dated 10/13/98 12:26:46 AM, dilbert_2000@hotmail.com writes: >Are you absolutly sure? because I read that joke in the book "'S'cuse me > >while I kiss this guy". Somehow, your statment just doesn't seem >original, And I wonder why... Hmm. Isn't it funny when you think you're > >the only person on the face of the earth to read a certain book or see >a >certain movie? Ha. > I'm not certain on this, but isn't SMWIKTG a book of *commonly* heard misunderstood lyrics? hehe like um.. "blinded by the light, rolled up like a douche another stranger in the night..." i loved the skit the Vacant Lot based on that, that was great.. sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36243D33.8CE0FC18@cnr.edu> Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 01:57:08 -0400 From: "Sarah Starr" Subject: TMBG: new york shows I am going to be alone at both the Friday and Saturday NYC shows, so anyone who wants to meet up with me is certainly welcome to :) There is a picture of me at http://www.angelfire.com/ny/lindramine/images/sarahpol.jpg if you want to know what I look like so you can find me. I'll be wearing my accordian/guitar shirt on Friday and on both nights I'll be wearing my long dark blue Air Force overcoat....hope to see people there! sarah faye ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19981014075424.007b8100@130.83.71.4> Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 07:54:24 +0200 From: Tobias Reckhard Subject: TMBG: Fan Club or Newsletter distributor address Hello My, this is a busy mailing list! :) I've only got a quick question, hoping for an equally quick answer. I'm receiving the TMBG newsletter, but my address has changed. Well, actually, the road name has always been wrong and two years ago the town/city postcodes here in Germany changed. I'd like to rectify the situation, but I don't know whom to contact and how to do it. I'm receiving the newsletter because I signed up at a concert (a while back). Can anyone help me? I'd prefer an email addy, as I hope is understandable, but snail mail is ok, too. TIA Tobias -- Tobias Reckhard (jester) jester@fmr.tu-darmstadt.de ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 03:15:43 -0400 (EDT) From: gorski Subject: TMBG: Carrboro & Misheard Message-ID: Okay, two things: First off, I saw the Carrboro show last night (Cat's Cradle), but odds are not many people even knew about it. (Forgive me if I missed a post about it--I tend to skim most of the stuff that comes through the list at the moment, between working for all those professor folk and working for those nice people who mail me paychecks from time to time, I tend to get a little behind on email now and again.) The show pretty much rocked, but I guess that's a given. It seems the crowds that show up for TMBG shows in this area are usually pretty much the same... same people I know, lots of the same faces of people I don't know... and the same average height of a TMBG fan... taller than most! (that last part true anywhere else? I've wondered about that off and on, but then I forget whether I've actually asked. :> ) The show was a little different than the other ones I've seen... no attempt at a congaline, for one, and a game of Who Fscked Up the Show... but then, it was a double-billing *and* a last-minute gig. They still did an hour and a half plus set. hm. It was also the *loudest* show to which I ever remember going... and to fit in all the area's tmbg crowd they probably broke fire codes by quite a bit... I didn't stay to see whether Thor was any good or not... neither the person with whom I came nor the people we knew were coming wanted to stick around too much more. Besides, it was good to get out of the cigarette-smoke and lighting haze. As far as songs played... well, I wasn't close enough to gank a set-list, nor do I care to enumerate them all even insofar as I can recall. But they did all the ones that seem to be constant... Shoehorn with Teeth (with a fast-forward rendition), Birdhouse (natch), Exquisite Dead Guy, Spy (though they never got around to doing the last cry of "Spyyyyyyy!" after the improv)... one reasonably brief encore and then house-lights. Nuff of that though... y'all are probably tired of my recantation of Monday's show. :) But, if anybody has a bootleg of it (or for that matter a set list) I'd *really* appreciate it if you'd let me know... (email me, gorski@vnet.net , there, you don't even have to scan back to the top of the post). Second thing: Re the recent thread of misheard lyrics... a chap I knew back in high school (answered to the name of Psycho) believed the fellow in No One Knows My Plan was cooking up an "anvil"... at least, in his second-generation copy of the album about two weeks before it was released... (grin). Yeah, I still have my copy of the promo tape. And yeah, of course I have it on disc. Well, I bid you all fare well, and maybe I'll post again in a year or two... "who is that guy? has he ever posted here before?" --me ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 03:10:56 -0500 (CDT) From: bill tatalovich Subject: TMBG: selling out? (long, with apologies) Message-ID: Hey all-- About the entire selling out thread we've suddenly found ourselves in the middle of...there's a big difference between becoming popular through the public suddenly realizing that a band is good and becoming popular because you change your entire style (be it of music, acting, whatever). A couple of examples, for which I'm sure I'll get flamed. Barenaked Ladies didn't really sell out. Why, you ask? First off, the band had always had a large cult following...even without any airplay (basically) in the States, the band still sold out large theaters. Sure, they weren't playing arenas, but you could do a lot worse. After releasing an album, and to an extent a single, that continued to accurately reflect what the band was about, MTV and commercial radio (stress the "commercial" there) decided to finally do something for them. The only thing I notice that's different between, say, _Gordon_ (their first album) and their more recent albums (other than the departure of Andy Creegan and the inclusion of Kevin) is their style of dress (they used to be dorks, now they're stylin'). In a similar vein, people like Ani Difranco, Phish (definitely Phish), and other bands cannot really be considered sell-outs, merely because they've worked their collective asses off, made no changes in order to appeal to the mainstream, and basically built a following that eventually took off. Now if Ani played the Lilith Fair, for instance, that might be a different story (but she has refused, so further kudos are in store for her), because suddenly billing herself as a "female singer-songwriter" (instead of a singer, as she prefers it) would be a sudden switch. Now watch...as soon as I say that, she'll agree to do next year's... On the other hand, bands that make a change within something that really makes the band in order to become popular, now that's just wrong. I hate to rip on a couple of great bands, but I'm going to anyway, to try to prove a point. The Mighty Mighty Bosstones enjoyed a pretty good following within the ska/punk/metal scene for a few years. But it was only after they switched from dressing in all plaid to nice suits, and creating an album which didn't really show what the band was about (the latest album is incredibly mellow for them) that they became popular. I'm not saying they actively did all that to make more money, but it's easy to see why some people might think that. As someone else mentioned, I don't think any band sits there and says "You know, being popular and making money would suck." (and don't give me that shit about Kurt Cobain...if they didn't want to make money, they wouldn't have made videos or signed to DGC in the first place) Conversely, I don't think a band actively tries to change everything they're about in order to make more money (in general). In the above example, the Mighty Mighty Bosstones had been moving in a general direction...with actual inclusion of mellower/ska'ier (love making up words) on _Don't Know How to Party_, and even back with _Devil's Night Out_, and a general movement toward, well, maturity, I can see how they became financially viable to the commercial folks. The musicians I have the most respect for are the ones that do what they love merely for the music. Ani Difranco, creating her own record label just because she liked playing music...Jello Biafra, using Alternative Tentacles as an outlet not just for good music, but socially conscious products as well (Mumia Abu-Jamal's spoken word album, for instance)...and don't forget Ian Mackaye (sp?), who still demands that albums from his record label (Dischord) be sold for a certain amount of money, no more, and still playing shows with Fugazi for $5, even though they could charge SO much more than that. I suppose there are two long, drawn-out points to this post. First off, no band really "sells out" because they want to. And secondly, stop giving commercial radio the time of day. REM, the Mighty Mighty Bosstones, the Ben Folds Five, Barenaked Ladies, and hundreds of other bands enjoyed long tenures near the top of the college charts before they ever became famous. If you don't have a college radio station in your neck of the woods, find one on the web. Prediction for the next year and a half: emo will become mainstream. That just seems to be the way things work for me now (getting into genres about six months before they're popular). The Rev |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| | Reverend Bill Tatalovich | Home page: | | | http://students.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/ | | wt3@cec.wustl.edu |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ | personnel@kwur.wustl.edu | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19981014190133.007b8100@mail.comcen.com.au> Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 19:01:33 +1000 From: "Carol R." Subject: TMBG: tmbg on J files 22nd Oct To all fellow Australians interested in things tmbg ... Listen to triple J on Thurs. 22/10 as the J files will be doing tmbg in response to the release of STD (where is it avail in Syd.- anyone know?) Cheers Carolyn ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: <17e1ee77.362468bd@aol.com> Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 05:02:53 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Potty-Mouthed In a message dated 10/13/98 10:27:21 PM EST, wt3@cec.wustl.edu writes: << I would be more likely to say that they've been growing into (gasp!) a "normal" band. I mean, we don't get stuff like "32 Footsteps" or "Minimum Wage" anymore... >> I'd hardly call "Exquisite Dead Guy," "I Can Hear You," "O Do Not Forsake Me," and "About Me," "normal" pop band material. I think they have strengthened the more traditional pop aspect of the band without sacrificing it's avante- guard, experimental nature much at all, and that's quite an accomplishment. Kay ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: <232abf22.362495ab@aol.com> Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 08:14:35 EDT Subject: Ian McKaye is GOD. {Was: TMBG: selling out?} Nuff said. ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 14 Oct 98 23:56:47 +1000 From: My service provider went down temporarily on Sunday night (Aust time), and I don't seem to have got any messages from the list since then. I was wondering if anyone could hazard an explanation (I'm not sure whether I'll get the reply unless it is sent directly to me) Luke ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 09:54:57 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: misheard lyrics Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 14-Oct-98 Re: TMBG: misheard lyrics by KdsInThHal@aol.com > "blinded by the light, rolled up like a douche another stranger in the > night..." what is that *supposed* to be, though? (please don't say that's the actual lyric...) another TMBG misheard lyric that I haven't seen anyone post: in Window, before I read the lyrics to it, I thought he was saying "I was uncomfortable, now I'm uncomfortable, the trucker I encountered when I thought it was, it was a window..." and it made very little sense to me. :) Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Everything sticks until it goes away, * This space inadvertently And the truth is we don't know anything." -TMBG * left blank. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001d01bdf781$9e667ac0$d807a8c0@caldr1> From: "David Rueth" Subject: TMBG: Cincy show 10/9 Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 09:47:46 -0500 I know some of you out there made it to Bogart's last Friday. I was unable to go and was quite bummed about it. I haven't seen much of anything written about the show on the list. So, to those of you who went (and if you wouldn't mind doing so): send me a message and tell me what I missed. I'd be quite appreciative. Thanks, DAVE rueth@geocities.com http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Stadium/4818/ ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 12:19:48 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG:musical mutation Message-ID: <19981014.122011.9966.0.gray42@juno.com> taking into account what the Rev said, about the theory of TMBG becoming normal, well, ok. I've a few friends that say they miss the old TMBG and that they're just too normal now. Well I can't say that I personally haven't noticed a change, I have. But I do not see this as a travel to normality (that's very negative IMHO) I see it as a music mutation. I've noticed that each album of their's seems to have it's own theme. Pink Album-folky esque weirdness Lincoln- happy halloween, and TV, TV, TV. Misc T- uh, I think the name explains this one best, Flood- good old fasioned family fun, Apollo 18- space album, John Henry- Unhappy Halloween, Factory Showroom- "In the future..." fun, a little experimentation, and the perfect music to make sock puppets to. This album is very happy in comparrison to the one previous, yet also very disturbing. Insect Hospital-??? Since each album is different from the other and TMBG are very Haggunenon in their tastes,I don't expect the next album to be further in the normal game, but rather squant in comparison to the others. Or at least I hope it'll be this way. I mean, what is normal anyway, I think the Johns are just exploring different kinds of music. I mean, take for example Mono Puff, look how different the two albums are from each other. Plus, it's that basic theme thing all over again. Mysterio Gal (Hotel Detective) "Little David is all grown up. Too bad for the cause of Good!" --Negativland MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 12:28:59 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Concert Rumors Message-ID: <19981014.124311.9966.1.gray42@juno.com> Hey Yall, I heard a rumor that TMBG may be comming to Tampa, at some point in the future. Any other Floridians hear about this. Can anyone clarify whether the rumor is true? Mysterio Gal (Hotel Detective) "Little David is all grown up. Too bad for the cause of Good!" --Negativland MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Phil Jackson Message-Id: <199810141656.MAA28300@angels.heaven.net> Subject: TMBG: upstate NY Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 12:55:14 -0400 Do they ever come to upstate NY, cause thats where i am and the closest that they ever come to here is about 4 hours from here....thats not bad but it's still quite a ways ~Eric "Action" Jackson~ [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981014170401.5769.rocketmail@send104.yahoomail.com> Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 10:03:59 -0700 (PDT) From: Ethuilcalen Subject: Re: TMBG: Atlanta show... aww yeah... ---Monotreme3@aol.com wrote: > Oh and Julie and her boyfriend, who seemed > to disappear spontaneously right before the show started. That's cause we needed to find seats because Drew was in a car accident earlier in the summer and he can't stand up for long periods of time like that. Okay, this was my first concert :)) Still in high spirits over it :))) That's all there is to say :) Julie ;) == The Quote of the Day Brought to you by the Cerulean Blue Wierdo: Hige sceal pe heardra, heorte pe cenre, mod sceal pe mare pe ure maegen lytlad. "Will shall be the sterner, heart the bolder, spirit the greater as our heart lessens." _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19981014133441.0091aa70@EMail.Psu.Edu> Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 13:34:41 -0400 From: Jason Fickley Subject: Re: TMBG: Misheard TMBG lyrics? At 04:38 PM 10/13/98 -0600, Jim Kuemmerle wrote: >the day: > "the day marvin gaye and phyllis got married" Heh, I heard it that way too. In fact, I thought it was some sort of pun on the name. If Marvin Gaye married someone named Phyllis the name would be Phyllis Gaye. Phyllis Gaye = Phil is gay. Then I got the cd version (the tape doesn't have lyrics in the liner) and learned the truth. By the way, am I alone here? I didn't get a cd player until '95 so I owned (and still own) Pink, Lincoln, Flood, Misc.T, A18, and JH on tape. I then went out and bought them all over again on cd. FS was the first album I didn't have a tape of. Of course, I later bought T:TEY, which means I have 3 copies of Pink and Lincoln :) --Jason-- ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 20:31:14 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: misheard lyrics -Reply Isn't this a (misheard) lyric from 'Blinded by the light' by Bruce (that's Bruce Springsteen - but you knew that didn't you). Richard (living in London and having the benefit of Bruce in our wonderful City at the moment for reasons that are really too complicated to explain) >>> "lps+@andrew.cmu.edu" 14/October/1998 02:41pm >>> Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 14-Oct-98 Re: TMBG: misheard lyrics by KdsInThHal@aol.com > "blinded by the light, rolled up like a douche another stranger in the > night..." what is that *supposed* to be, though? (please don't say that's the actual lyric...) another TMBG misheard lyric that I haven't seen anyone post: in Window, before I read the lyrics to it, I thought he was saying "I was uncomfortable, now I'm uncomfortable, the trucker I encountered when I thought it was, it was a window..." and it made very little sense to me. :) Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Everything sticks until it goes away, * This space inadvertently And the truth is we don't know anything." -TMBG * left blank. ------------------------------ From: Phil Jackson Message-Id: <199810142125.RAA10393@angels.heaven.net> Subject: Re: TMBG: upstate NY Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 17:23:55 -0400 > > >Do they ever come to upstate NY, cause thats where i am and the closest > > > >that they ever come to here is about 4 hours from here....thats not bad > >but > > > >it's still quite a ways > > where are you? Queensbury NY...about an hour from albany ~Eric "Action" Jackson~ [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19981014183432.0081f140@interpath.com> Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 18:34:32 -0400 From: Brandon Subject: TMBG: carrboro/chapel hell anybody go to the tmbg show in carrboro/chapel hill? I thought they did a great job xcept it was a little to short any thoughts? later brandon ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36253678.3F18@rica.net> Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 19:40:40 -0400 From: Joey Groah Subject: NON_TMBG: Man or Astro-Man in VA Hey Man or Astro-Man fans: They are gonna play at Main Street Bar and Grill in Harrisonburg VA on November 2, the exact date TMBG played Harrsionburg last year (I think). I've never been in Main Street but I'm going tonight to see a guy from my Comedy in Media class and his band 'Occult 45'. Should be fun. E-mail me for more info. if you're interested. Joey, doesn't have as much gull as Jim K. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981015004446.2056.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Absolutley / youth / BGJ skills / the John's sweatfor sale :) Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 17:44:45 PDT JOrdaN wrote: >>people pointed out that "Absolutely Bill's Mood" was supposed to be >>like >>the Dylan title "Absolutely Sweet Marie" > >I believe it's just the title that they got from the Dylan song and >as for the rest isn't it about Bill Krauss? From what I've heard (or, more accurately, read), the person in the song was frustrated, which was the mood of Bill Krauss at the time that the song (or at least its title) was written. >>The point of this email... as long as it may be... was to say >>"Consolidate >>your email!" > >i'm impressed... when i first joined the list ages and ages ago i did >this (mostly cuz i only got the digest at that time) but i just >figured >it sucked to consolidate cuz then the subject lines are wacked >(people >can't follow threads). And most people will read like the first >sentence >and delete the rest (i know i do). It's also a bit of a hassle to do, and I prefer not to be hassled, especially when I'm doing something that is supposed to be fun. I really can't see what the big deal is about sending multiple messages. It adds up to the same amount of text either way (excluding headers, signatures, and stuff like that). -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981015020111.7355.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: Re: NON_TMBG: Man or Astro-Man in VA Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 19:01:10 PDT >Grill in Harrisonburg VA on November 2, the exact date TMBG played >Harrsionburg last year (I think). If you're gonna be passing through Staunton, stop by and say hi to me, if you wish. I'm at 413 Audubon St. in the Hillcrest area, just off Churchville Ave., which is very close to the park. If not, give me a ring at (540) 886-8969. Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com ICQ#: 17262308 contact me! http://profiles.yahoo.com/LeChuck/ Mandrake: Colonel! Colonel, I must know what you think has been going on here! Guano: You wanna know what I think? Mandrake: Yes! Guano: I think you're some kind of deviated prevert. I think General Ripper found out about your preversion, and you were organizing some kind of mutiny of preverts. Now MOVE!! --"Dr. Strangelove OR How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3626C686.7A49@rica.net> Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 00:07:34 -0400 From: Joey Groah Subject: NON-TMBG: Man or Astro-Man?????? I just got back from Main Street (couldn't stick around and check out Spider Monkey) and the cashier lady told me Man or Astro-man isn't confirmed yet. Just wanted to pass that along, though I have seen signs saying they're playing. Joey, not destined for Venus ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3625A437.7A8A@pop.uky.edu> Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 00:28:55 -0700 From: thesfc Subject: Re: TMBG: Absolutley / youth / BGJ skills / the John's sweatfor sale :) > JOrdaN wrote: > >>people pointed out that "Absolutely Bill's Mood" was supposed to be > >>like > >>the Dylan title "Absolutely Sweet Marie" > > > >I believe it's just the title that they got from the Dylan song and >as > for the rest isn't it about Bill Krauss? > > >From what I've heard (or, more accurately, read), the person in the song > was frustrated, which was the mood of Bill Krauss at the time that the > song (or at least its title) was written. The person in ASM is _definitely frustrated_. I actually don't know who Bill Krauss is though ::blush:: Could someone fill me in here? So, if Bill was frustrated that makes sense. I knew there was more of a connection than "just the title". Meaning, they had a REASON for having the titles sound similar... the sfc -- ***********************SIGMORPHER V1.0************************ *Hello my friend, are you visible today? \ You know I * *never knew that it could be so strange...strange \ * *Hello, I'm sorry, I lost myself \ I think I thought you * *were someone else pop song 89, rem * ***********************sfc software 97************************ ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 01:01:13 EDT Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Man or Astro-Man?????? In a message dated 10/14/98 12:18:20 AM, jgroah@rica.net writes: >om Main Street (couldn't stick around and check out >Spider Monkey) and the cashier lady told me Man or Astro-man isn't >confirmed yet. Just wanted to pass that along, though I have seen signs >saying they're playing. > sure it's not one of their clone bands? that would be so disappointing. a little interesting, but.. y'know, imagine if you showed up for a supposed tmbg show and it was just the puppet heads. that'd suck. sarah ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #11-15 ******************************