Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #11-16 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 11, Number 16 Friday, 16 October 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: 10/13/98 concert photos up! NON-TMBG: blinded by the light Re: TMBG: Absolutely Bill Krauss Non-TMBG: misheard lyrics TMBG: Rockin out in Boston TMBG:misheard lyrics, mostly FS TMBG: Taping shows... Re: NON_TMBG: Man or Astro-Man in VA Re: TMBG:misheard lyrics, mostly FS Re: TMBG: Bill Krauss!!! Re: TMBG:misheard lyrics, mostly FS Re: TMBG: Taping shows... Re: TMBG: Absolutley TMBG: tmbgchat Re: TMBG: Taping shows... TMBG:Coming to Tower Records-N.Y. 10/16 Re: Non-TMBG: misheard lyrics Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <36259735.5C88CC7F@cybercomm.net> Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 02:33:27 -0400 From: TDK Subject: TMBG: 10/13/98 concert photos up! Hi there. I just added some pics from last night's show at the Theater of Living Arts in Philadelphia, PA.. they include Flansburgh with the big bass drum. I hope you enjoy them. -Mike http://i.am/tdk ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 07:35:26 -0600 (MDT) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: NON-TMBG: blinded by the light Message-ID: On Wed, 14 Oct 1998, Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > > "blinded by the light, rolled up like a douche another stranger in the > > night..." > > what is that *supposed* to be, though? (please don't say that's the > actual lyric...) wrapped up like a deuce. --jim kuemmerle, another runner in the night... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981015153255.24959.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Absolutely Bill Krauss Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 08:32:55 PDT thesfc wrote: >> >From what I've heard (or, more accurately, read), the person in >> >the song >> was frustrated, which was the mood of Bill Krauss at the time that >> the >> song (or at least its title) was written. > >The person in ASM is _definitely frustrated_. I'm actually don't >know >who Bill Krauss is though ::blush:: Could someone fill me in here? >So, >if Bill was frustrated that makes sense. I knew there was more of a >connection than "just the title". Meaning, they had a REASON for >having >the titles sound similar... Bill Krauss used to be the TMBG sound man, and he produced Their first two albums. I think he was frustrated at the time because of problems with the equipment. (This was around the time of the computer meltdown, wasn't it?) -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19981015101200.006a1a64@pop.ben2.ucla.edu> Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 10:12:00 -0700 From: J Chen Subject: Non-TMBG: misheard lyrics Richard wrote: >Isn't this a (misheard) lyric from 'Blinded by the light' by Bruce (that's >Bruce Springsteen - but you knew that didn't you). Ah, but I did know! The song was written by Bruce Springsteen and performed by Manfred Mann. >>>> "lps+@andrew.cmu.edu" 14/October/1998 02:41pm >>> >Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 14-Oct-98 Re: TMBG: misheard lyrics >by KdsInThHal@aol.com >> "blinded by the light, rolled up like a douche another stranger in the >> night..." > >what is that *supposed* to be, though? (please don't say that's the >actual lyric...) I think it's supposed to be: "Blinded by the light, revved up like a deuce, another runner in the night" Still doesn't make sense to me. I think this lyric is purportedly the most legendarily mangled mondegreen. Yours, --LVJeff ==========================_______________________________________... . . . | from LVJeff | Kerim Bey: "But I am already in your debt." | alecson@ucla.edu | James Bond: "How can a friend be in debt?" | ICQ# 10906249 | ========================== - From Russia with Love ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 13:20:26 -0400 (EDT) From: LN Subject: TMBG: Rockin out in Boston Message-ID: Re: Boston Show! Hey all , here is your friendly reporter, um, reporting! OK, well, I hafta say that I really enjoyed Michael Shelly, in a cheezy disco or Hanson like way... but cuter than that... His sister was there, too, and he kept talking to her... :) Anyways, I decided to be a "person of the audience" for once, and was on the Avalon floor, about 1/3 of the way back... I couldn't see UNTIL TMBG came on, and someone smiled on me and I had a clear view... yay! Anyhoo, here's the scrawled setlist, plus comments... Abridged STD theme Dr. Worm Twisting (During which I afeared a mosh pit) Til My Head Falls Off (too cool) Battle, and THE APES WON! (I should mention at this point that the crowd was AWSOME the whole night) She's an Angel (yay!) Subliminal --> Polka Berkelee chat... okay, this is when Flans stuck his guitar into the audience during Polka and let people twiddle it... after the song was over, he commented that his guitar was in BETTER tune when he got it back, at which point he surmised that a Berklee student must have tweaked his high E string... Then the Johns bantered for a bit about subversive Berklee students (Berklee is the local musicians college), and how they'd neverget a job... it was funny, and quite long.. :) How Can I sing Like a Girl Birdhouse The Guitar Cannon Chat ("The cannon might be filled with something different tonite, we don't know." It had confetti and money, as usual, and DAMN is that fun when you're not in the front row!) James K Polk She's Actual Size Mammal What would we be without the crowd improv song... basically, going on about how they'd be nothing w/o the fans! Particle w/Kumbaya SEXXY They Got Lost ("like we did before the show" and mumbling something about WFNX, which is where they were going when They Got Lost) Older (yay!) Spy Pierre Salinger stole my hairstyle improv song by Linnell Whisting in the dark w/Flans on drum Broom Songs improv.. don't ask, I don't remember... Spiraling Shape, totally rocked the house! Dan Hickey Glock improv song by Linnell Shoehorn eye vocoder song --> Ana Ng Thanks to all, they thanksed everyone, their crew, the lighting, the audience... :) Why Does the Sun Shine They leave, various chanting and clapping and stomping for THE ENTIRE TIME they were offstage! Encore: Exquisite Dead Guy (Flans let people pat the puppet's hair, I mean, people were like, carressing it!) Istanbul, with LOOOOOOOOONG kick-ass guitar solo by the Dans... Okay, I know this post is far to long already, but I have to add the lighting was SO cool, the audience was energetic by not frenetic, the Johns were both super-talky, (BTW, linnell only said fucking once, and that was under his breath (as in "this [talking] is going on too fucking long!")oh yeah, ever think that this might just be a swearing "phase") this show ranks a possible four out of four stars! for those keeping track, Linnell... longsleeve blue and white striped shirt, Flans... earthy tones plaid buttondown -=ellen=- "Writing about art is like dancing about architecture." ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: <97c6a4c.36266244@aol.com> Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 16:59:48 EDT Subject: TMBG:misheard lyrics, mostly FS I remember the lyrics that I misheard were now. The majority were off of Factor Showroom, since it didn't come with words, and I didn't have the net when i got it so I couldn't find the lyrics. Till my head falls off: I thought they were saying Apples instead of Advil..made no sence How can I sing like a girl: I though it said Freak Flak instead of freak flag James K Polk: I thought it said his oratory filled his folks with fear instead of foes and Napoleon of the lump The bells are ringing: 10,000 guys were staring, they pulled away her notebook I know there were probably more, but I can't remember oh yeah in Road Movie to Berlin I thought they said "So sneak out this last subrban and we'll go" Thats all for now. -Amber the Alterian ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@JUNO.COM Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 17:55:44 -0600 Subject: TMBG: Taping shows... Message-ID: <19981014.175607.3502.7.TMBgirl@juno.com> Hey HEY! I am not promoting taping, i don't want to start an argument. This is solely for those people who are already planning on doing so... uhm, i've talked to a few people that are planning on taping the upcoming shows... but f you do plan on doing so, pleaseplease tape Michael Shelley's set as well... :) If you have taped any shows from this tour (MS or TMBG) get in touch with me :P take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 17:59:03 -0600 Subject: Re: NON_TMBG: Man or Astro-Man in VA Message-ID: <19981014.175905.3502.8.TMBgirl@juno.com> >Hey Man or Astro-Man fans: They are gonna play at Main Street Bar and >Grill in Harrisonburg VA on November 2, the exact date TMBG played >Harrsionburg last year (I think). I know this is totally Non-TMBG related but MoAM is a totally rocking band... their live show is even cooler. I would highly suggest checking 'em out :) "Interplanet Janet, she's a galaxy girl..." take it easy, JOrdaN, a solar system-miss from a future world! http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 17:26:05 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG:misheard lyrics, mostly FS I always heard "James K. Polk, the brotherman of the stone" Go figure. Oh, and from Sensurround: "Sensible to ear external." ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 22:37:16 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: Bill Krauss!!! Message-ID: <19981014.225007.3694.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> hEY hEY! >The person in ASM is _definitely frustrated_. I actually don't know >who Bill Krauss is though ::blush:: Could someone fill me in here? yipes! I believe (this is off the top of my head) that Bill Krauss engineered/produced all of their early albums. He was pretty much the techie of the group. :) At the shows way back when it was "just john and john" he was in charge of the drum machine so i spose that makes him the rhythm section before the rhythm section :) >So, >if Bill was frustrated that makes sense You always heard stories about all the problems they had back then... not only in producing the albums but touring etc. i would assume that's what inspired the "frustration" in Bill and in turn the song. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 17:37:35 -0400 (EDT) From: Kevin Keeler Subject: Re: TMBG:misheard lyrics, mostly FS Message-ID: On Thu, 15 Oct 1998 Alterian@aol.com wrote: > How can I sing like a girl: I though it said Freak Flak instead of freak flag heh. i too misheard this song. i had it narrowed down between :freak flag: and :freak flat:..and each ade sense 9with a certain level of backwards reasoning (but it was a TMBG song...so i was expecting that. i figgered "freak flat" could be a sort of pun of B flat or E flat or D flat or whatever....since he's talking about his girlish vocal range. (higher and ...higher and...) someone please put themselves in the same boat or at least say "hey..that does have an eerie logic to it...." and oh man could i go forever on "till my head falls off".....basically i just sung it as "hummuna humuna hummuna" for a very long time. --kevin "patting them again but i dont know where i put my nuts" ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 17:42:36 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Taping shows... In a message dated 98-10-15 17:40:18 EDT, you write: > > If you have taped any shows from this tour (MS or TMBG) get in touch with > me :P Ditto. If *anyone* has a bootleg of the Atlanta show, I would gladly give you my soul for it. The tickets were an anniversary present from my girlfriend, and well, I'd like to have a copy of the show as a sorta return present... :D Emar: PLEASE help me out! I *know* I saw *someone* with a tape deck... ------------------------------ Message-Id: <36267ec73d80002@garnet.tc.umn.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Absolutley Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 18:01:27 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of thesfc: >> >From what I've heard (or, more accurately, read), the person in the song >> was frustrated, which was the mood of Bill Krauss at the time that the >> song (or at least its title) was written. s/written/recorded/; >The person in ASM is _definitely frustrated_. I actually don't know >who Bill Krauss is though ::blush:: Could someone fill me in here? So, If you look carefully at the credits on TMBG and Lincoln, you'll find Bill's name next to the label "Producer". I exchanged a bit of email with him a few years back; he'd moved on to various other projects out in San Fran. Personally, I would rank TMBG producers thusly (best to worst): TMBG (Flood, A18) Bill Krauss (TMBG, Lincoln) Pat Dillett (Fac Show, STD, some singles) Paul Fox (JH) %% Chris Bongaarts %% Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu %% http://umn.edu/~cab %% U of Minnesota %% CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) %% Stop Plate Tectonics! ------------------------------ From: Phil Jackson Message-Id: <199810160141.VAA14167@angels.heaven.net> Subject: TMBG: tmbgchat Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 21:40:29 -0400 is tmbgchat down has anyone noticed this or just me??? help me!!! ~Eric "Action" Jackson~ [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: Phil Jackson Message-Id: <199810160329.XAA17880@angels.heaven.net> Subject: Re: TMBG: Taping shows... Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 23:27:31 -0400 > > > > If you have taped any shows from this tour (MS or TMBG) get in touch with > > me :P same here any tape traders out there please feel free to contact me a fellow tape trader ~Eric "Action" Jackson~ [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: LOADTMBG@aol.com Message-ID: <10529e2a.3626bcd8@aol.com> Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 23:26:16 EDT Subject: TMBG:Coming to Tower Records-N.Y. 10/16 Hey everyone, I have not read my mail in a bit so I don't know if this has been mentioned before. TMBG will be at Tower Records in N.Y. --Broadway and 4th-- @5PM, tomorrow Fri. 10/16!! They will be signing stuff (prob. the STD Linear Notes and hopefully more :) ) and possibly singing. Hope this helps :) LOADTMBG ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3626F09C.14B@pop.uky.edu> Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 00:07:08 -0700 From: thesfc Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: misheard lyrics I've read that the most legendary modegreen is hearing "'Scuse me while I kiss this guy" in Purple Haze by Hendrix. My personal favorite has always been CCR's smash hit "There's a Bathroom on the Right". the sfc > >> "blinded by the light, rolled up like a douche another stranger in the > >> night..." > > > >what is that *supposed* to be, though? (please don't say that's the > >actual lyric...) > > I think it's supposed to be: > > "Blinded by the light, revved up like a deuce, another runner in the night" > > Still doesn't make sense to me. I think this lyric is purportedly the > most legendarily mangled mondegreen. -- ***********************SIGMORPHER V1.0************************ *"I went away alone \ With nothing left \ But faith" * * the cure * ************************sfc software 97*********************** ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #11-16 ******************************