Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #11-19 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 11, Number 19 Monday, 19 October 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: more misheard lyrics Re: TMBG: Help Re: TMBG: Help TMBG: Re: Help TMBG: Live In New York TMBG: who's this jason guy anyway? Re: TMBG: Help Re: TMBG: Help Re: TMBG: who's this jason guy anyway? TMBG: the 10/17/98 show.. NON-TMBG: Man Or Astro-Man? for sure on 11/2 Re: TMBG: Help RE: TMBG: Live In New York Re: TMBG: Live In New York Re: NON-TMBG: Man Or Astro-Man? LiNY CD's Re: TMBG: who's this jason guy anyway? TMBG: NYC shows TMBG: NEED tapes of NYC shows Re: TMBG: NEED tapes of NYC shows TMBG: blah, blah Re: TMBG: blah, blah Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 00:47:13 -0600 (MDT) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: more misheard lyrics Message-ID: On Fri, 16 Oct 1998, Scott Reed wrote: > for the longest time i couldn't figure out they were saying "date > stamped on my side" in dead... i though it was "date stamped on my > south" (bottom)... that kills two birds with one stone... :) it's "date stamped on myself"... > and in birdhouse in your soul, did the bluebird kill off "countless > screaming Argonauts," or "countless screaming, 'Argonauts!'" that's one > to ponder or "countless, screaming argonauts", like the bird is actually addressing an audience of screaming argonauts... --jim kuemmerle, whose south hasn't been stamped for a while... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ From: Batbrain99@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 04:25:59 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Help In a message dated 98-10-17 19:22:10 EDT, you write: << In "Snowball in hell" Whos Paul and Joe? >> Speaking of unknown names, in Birdhouse who is Jason? Ya know, after killing Jason off... Of course, after al this misheard lyrics stuff goin around, it may not be jason at all. it could be "jay's sin" or somethin. in which case... who's jay? ~Bat"jaysin"Brain * ----------------------------------------- "Like a guardian angel it's always near" ------------------------------ From: Kreadoubt@aol.com Message-ID: <5e814be9.3629a7d6@aol.com> Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 04:33:26 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Help In a message dated 10/18/98 1:27:55 AM Pacific Daylight Time, Batbrain99@aol.com writes: << Speaking of unknown names, in Birdhouse who is Jason? Ya know, after killing Jason off... >> Heh, I always thought it was Jason, from all those horror films, but it seemed like that wasn't who it is....was....whatever..... It's late, and I'm a moring person... :) "There are 2 things in rock that really piss us off. Being upside down and being in a little box." JL ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000d01bdfa72$adc49800$5a228a81@refund.rcn.nmt.edu> From: "Refund" Subject: TMBG: Re: Help Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 02:38:27 -0600 It's Jason from 'Jason and the Argonauts.' :0) Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the state of New Mexico. The effect? I'll tell you what the effect is! It's pissing me off! Ghostbusters, the Movie. P.S. Visit www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Amphitheatre/5550/ The first Julie Plug tribute page in HISTORY!!! :0) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001801bdfa73$69bfc340$5a228a81@refund.rcn.nmt.edu> From: "Refund" Subject: TMBG: Live In New York Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 02:43:43 -0600 A while back there was a lady who was offering to burn CD copies of the Live In New York album. Is this person still out there, and if so, does the offer still stand? Thanks in advance. Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the state of New Mexico. The effect? I'll tell you what the effect is! It's pissing me off! Ghostbusters, the Movie. P.S. Visit www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Amphitheatre/5550/ The first Julie Plug tribute page in HISTORY!!! :0) ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 03:50:20 -0600 (MDT) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: who's this jason guy anyway? Message-ID: On Sun, 18 Oct 1998, Refund wrote: > It's Jason from 'Jason and the Argonauts.' :0) ...who are characters in greek mythology. jason was on a quest to fetch the golden fleece. why? i don't know. maybe it seemed like a good idea at the time. anyway, he commissioned a guy named argus to build his boat, and he called the boat Argo in his honor. hence the term argonauts for his crew. the argonauts were hardly countless, either, by the way: there were 43, not counting jason, and they included such luminaries as hercules, theseus, atalanta, castor, pollux, orpheus, laertes (the father of odysseus), peleus (the father of achilles), and even argus himself. apparently the rest of them were all nobles, too, but their names don't ring any bells. as for jason, in order to get the fleece from a guy named aeetes, he had to single-handedly yoke some fire-breathing bulls that had feet of brass. it so happened that medea, who was aeetes's daughter and also a witch, got a crush on jason, and promised to help him if he'd marry her and take her back with him. he said he would, she anointed him in fire-proof and iron-proof lotion, and he went out and did it. aeetes, however, flaked on the promise, so medea helped jason steal the fleece by drugging the dragon that guarded it. and so on and so forth. medea was invaluable in getting through the perils of the journey, (it's so nice to have a witch around the house!), and she and jason lived in corinth for ten years after the adventures stopped, at which point the king of corinth offered jason his daughter's hand in marriage. jason, being an ungrateful bastard, (really -- what *did* he do to bring any of this fleece-snatching about? it was *all* medea!), divorces medea and goes off to marry this other girl. as a wedding present, medea sends the girl a poisoned cloak and she bursts into flames when she puts it on. rule #1: don't tick off the witch. anyway, i'm getting waaaaaay off subject, so i'd better stop soon. before i do, though, two more points: (i) neither jason nor the argonauts were killed by shipwreck, and (ii) the perseus project, my source for this (http://www.perseus.tufts.edu) is pretty damn cool. when i started this message, i didn't know half this stuff. --jim kuemmerle, not to be confused with 'josie and the pussycats' or 'alexander and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day'... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001901bdfa80$1f6ae920$beb3a4c1@squid> From: "Uncle Squid" Subject: Re: TMBG: Help Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 11:14:10 +0100 -----Original Message----- From: Kreadoubt@aol.com To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: 18 October 1998 10:04 Subject: Re: TMBG: Help >In a message dated 10/18/98 1:27:55 AM Pacific Daylight Time, >Batbrain99@aol.com writes: > ><< Speaking of unknown names, in Birdhouse who is Jason? Ya know, after >killing > Jason off... >> > >Heh, I always thought it was Jason, from all those horror films, but it seemed >like that wasn't who it is....was....whatever..... > Jason and the Argonaughts is a Greek myth. Jason led his soldiers (The Argo's) against loads of nasty mythological creatures and they kicked some serious ass. There is an old 60's film about it out there (prolly starring Doug McLure or someone like that) --USQ xxx ----------------------- Uncle Squid xxx Hot from Hell and Hades for Gentlemen and Ladies xxx www.keme.co.uk/~thelimes/cols/ ICQ: 12605535 ----------------------- "Every Horse has it's year and every Dog it's day my dear, so the only thing I have to feel sad about is, all Horses and Dogs I'll be forced to out live" -- The Divine Comedy ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 12:04:26 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Help Message-ID: <19981018.121129.9934.0.gray42@juno.com> On Sun, 18 Oct 1998 04:25:59 EDT Batbrain99@aol.com writes: >In a message dated 98-10-17 19:22:10 EDT, you write: > >Speaking of unknown names, in Birdhouse who is Jason? Ya know, after >killing >Jason off... Ya know, I always assumed it was Jason from those Friday the 13th movies. I'm not sure why I assumed that, it just felt so natural. Mysterio Gal (who is amazed that Maakies were'nt on SNL last night, but Goth Talk was *yay*) "Sticks and Stones may break my bones, but words will give me brain damage." --Ester TFD MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 12:10:38 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: who's this jason guy anyway? Message-ID: <19981018.121130.9934.1.gray42@juno.com> On Sun, 18 Oct 1998 03:50:20 -0600 (MDT) Jim Kuemmerle writes: >On Sun, 18 Oct 1998, Refund wrote: > >> It's Jason from 'Jason and the Argonauts.' :0) > >...who are characters in greek mythology. jason was on a quest to >fetch >the golden fleece. why? i don't know. maybe it seemed like a good >idea >at the time. anyway, he commissioned a guy named argus to build his >boat, >and he called the boat Argo in his honor. hence the term argonauts >for >his crew. the argonauts were hardly countless, either, by the way: >there >were 43, not counting jason, and they included such luminaries as >hercules, theseus, atalanta, castor, pollux, orpheus, laertes (the >father >of odysseus), hehe, isn't Laertes also the sun of Polonius, and brother to Ophelia. :P Mysterio Gal (one big soap opera) MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Phil Jackson Message-Id: <199810181815.OAA07950@angels.heaven.net> Subject: TMBG: the 10/17/98 show.. Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 14:13:12 -0400 Did anyone go to the show last night 10/17?????? please give me all the info on it please!!! ~Eric "Action" Jackson~ [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <362A692A.4E9A@rica.net> Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 18:18:18 -0400 From: Joey Groah Subject: NON-TMBG: Man Or Astro-Man? for sure on 11/2 Now confirmed, Man or Astro-Man? will play at Main Street Bar and Grill in Harrisonburg VA on November 2 @ 8:00. Tickets on sale at Plan 9 at (540) 434-9999. Also FYI for those in VA/Harrsionburg area: Cracker w/ To the Moon Alice plays JMU (Harrisonburg VA also) on October 30 MTV Invasion and Third Eye Blind with Eve 6 on November 17 @ JMU And Spike Lee will lecture on November 19 @ JMU's Grafton-Stovall Theater Joey, shill for the Program Board ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 19:03:35 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Help In a message dated 98-10-18 04:36:15 EDT, Kreadoubt@aol.com writes: > Speaking of unknown names, in Birdhouse who is Jason? Ya know, after > killing > Jason off... Hrm. Always took this one as Jason from the Argonauts. Jason and the Argonauts were these guys from Greek Myth, (They were so harsh, Hercules sailed with them for a while) They went to some country or another to find the Golden Fleece. ------------------------------ From: "Lee" Subject: RE: TMBG: Live In New York Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 20:33:13 -0400 Message-ID: <000201bdfaf9$503b34a0$0564a8c0@lee> > A while back there was a lady who was offering to burn CD copies of the Live > In New York album. Is this person still out there, and if so, does the > offer still stand? Thanks in advance. I was hoping to get in on that too and never heard another word. ------------------------------ From: TMBGibs@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 20:54:18 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Live In New York My friend knows someone who was burning a bunch of TMBG cds. He'd go to the stores, buy all the tapes, cds, etc, and burn them all. Me! "Smeggin' hell..." ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 19:16:17 -0600 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Man Or Astro-Man? LiNY CD's Message-ID: <19981018.192753.4462.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> >Also FYI for those in VA/Harrsionburg area: Cracker w/ To the Moon >Alice >plays JMU (Harrisonburg VA also) on October 30 wow, been awhile since i saw cracker... i think the last time i did they were opening for the violent femmes (that was an awesome show). >MTV Invasion and Third Eye Blind with Eve 6 on November 17 @ JMU okay so, i saw this eve 6/3eb show in denver. I got kicked out of the venue before 3eb but honestly, it's not anything worth seeing. I've seen eve 6 before and well, it was pretty much the exact same thing this time... bleh. not bad, but definately not great. >> A while back there was a lady who was offering to burn CD copies of >the >Live >> In New York album. Is this person still out there, and if so, does >the >> offer still stand? Thanks in advance. > >I was hoping to get in on that too and never heard another word. Jishy... you still burning cd's for people? take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 19:11:44 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: who's this jason guy anyway? Message-ID: <19981018.192753.4462.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> >hehe, isn't Laertes also the sun of Polonius, and brother to Ophelia. >:P that concerns me, two days before this post I sat down and read Hamlet (sadly, for the first time). take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Phil Jackson Message-Id: <199810190222.WAA22045@angels.heaven.net> Subject: TMBG: NYC shows Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 22:20:50 -0400 If anyone on the list knows of anyone who went to the sat 10/17 concert in NYC...please tell me....I am dieing to know what i missed!!!!!!!!! ~Eric "Action" Jackson~ [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: HallOfEyes@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 22:34:33 EDT Subject: TMBG: NEED tapes of NYC shows Hello. I KNOW at least someone here taped the 10/15-17 Bowery shows (including the instore). I desperatly need a copy. I'd like good quality ones...but whatever. I'll send blanks, or make a trade. Rob? Someone? Please e-mail me about it. Thanks, Jordan ------------------------------ From: Phil Jackson Message-Id: <199810190239.WAA22529@angels.heaven.net> Subject: Re: TMBG: NEED tapes of NYC shows Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 22:38:11 -0400 > Hello. I KNOW at least someone here taped the 10/15-17 Bowery shows (including > the instore). I desperatly need a copy. I'd like good quality ones...but > whatever. > I'll send blanks, or make a trade. Rob? Someone? Please e-mail me about it. > > Thanks, > Jordan yes same here...PLEASE!!!!!!! ~Eric "Action" Jackson~ tootall99@geocities.com or balloon@netheaven.com [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: blah, blah Message-ID: <19981019.014058.7135.2.kpicara@juno.com> From: kpicara@juno.com (sarah j mamott) Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 00:45:35 EDT * hello * tickets haven't gone on sale for the tramps nyc show yet, have they ? - friday was my first show and i was extremely impressed.. i was a bit upset i missed the instore, my train was late, but oh well. .. they more than made up for it later to me, -the most pleasantly surprising parts: johnL's multi-instrumentalized-talentness and johnF's blazing rock star geetarin'. .. oh, and the glockenschpiel (sp?!) -the strangest part: the 2 people next to me, making out for 9/10 of the show, and the girl in front of me, bumping and grinding to why does the sun shine .. . -the most dissappointing part: They only said 'fucking' twice (hehe, kidding) i loved the 'tween song banter. .. johnL was talking about how when they were Down South they tried to make up some interesting intros to jameskpolk, and that at one show he was about to make some joke about winning the civil war or something but realized it was inbad taste and froze. . . also babbled about the mason-dixon line. . .hehe. . i love smart bands. .. i don't mean IQ smart, i mean, i just love seeing bands that don't scream at the crowd "hello new york- are you ready to RAWK?!" etc etc. .. you know ? did anyone tape the show ? please email me if you did. also, did anyone else there think they really 'warmed up' to the crowd ? at first they seemed sort of in a bad mood but by 1/2way through they seemed really into it. . . oh, and all praise to the Onion subscription that my friend passes down to me, that paper is simply divine. .. i'm done rambling- - - good night all. ,sarah ______________________________ "it's like my life is being done by some awful, awful cartoon guy." -squee ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 23:37:25 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: blah, blah Message-ID: <19981018.233741.4470.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> >oh, and all praise to the Onion subscription that my friend passes >down to me, that paper is simply divine. .. ya do know that the onion is free in most places (big cities)? take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html Finally groovin' to the Bobs (thanks lisa!) :P ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #11-19 ******************************