Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #11-2 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 11, Number 2 Friday, 2 October 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: Milwaukee show, The Rave 9-30-98 TMBG: Milwaukee show, The Rave 9-30-98 TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ Non-TMBG: how old are you all? Re: TMBG: Burn-out, anyone? NON-TMBG: ages, free plug TMBG: Re: Age & MBTI Re: TMBG: how old are you all? Re: TMBG: how old are you all? TMBG: Ages, upcoming show in Cincy Re: TMBG: Ages, upcoming show in Cincy TMBG: figures Re: NON-TMBG: Video Bootleg 3 questions. TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #10-23 Re: NON TMBG: Walmart Re: TMBG: Band Foo... Re: NON-TMBG: a request. TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #10-23 Re: TMBG: A LITTLE TMBG/MOSTLY NOT: a little fun Re: NON-TMBG: Movies and Bands Re: NON TMBG: Walmart antics or fun w/ Walmart Re: TMBG: how old are you all? Re: NON-TMBG: Movies and Bands NON TMBG: spelling again Re: TMBG: Barrymore Review TMBG: woohoo:) Re: NON TMBG: sigh... TMBG: sad news Re: NON TMBG: Walmart Re: NON TMBG: sigh... Re: NON-TMBG: Band Foo.. TMBG: Mactown for Kaleidoscope Re: TMBG: Mactown for Kaleidoscope NONTMBG: The Brother is joining the Reverend PLUS TMBG Gas! TMBG: Finished With Lies on DAS TMBG: is this has been posted. oh well. DAS TMBG: more tmbg pics... TMBG: new subscriber Re: TMBG: more tmbg pics... TMBG: Minneapolis Show (9/29) Re: TMBG: Minneapolis Show (9/29) Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: PROFITEERS@ITEERS.com Message-ID: <7a918331.36131bef@aol.com> Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 02:06:39 EDT Subject: TMBG: Milwaukee show, The Rave 9-30-98 Well, tis late, just got back from Milw. thought I'd drop a quick note. Same basic set as Monday in Madtown. Although they did a few different spur of the moment things like during Spy and immediately following. They only did Shoehorn once and Flans kept singing that he f***'ed it up. People won again. Older was done with heavy eastern accent, so I guess you could list it as OLDA, yo olda than ya eva ben an now you're even olda. They DID play Dr. W twice again. And they did add Dig My Grave to encore #1. Not quite as good of a show as Madison though. Time to sleep....... Todd VH ------------------------------ From: PROFITEERS@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 02:06:43 EDT Subject: TMBG: Milwaukee show, The Rave 9-30-98 Well, tis late, just got back from Milw. thought I'd drop a quick note. Same basic set as Monday in Madtown. Although they did a few different spur of the moment things like during Spy and immediately following. They only did Shoehorn once and Flans kept singing that he f***'ed it up. People won again. Older was done with heavy eastern accent, so I guess you could list it as OLDA, yo olda than ya eva ben an now you're even olda. They DID play Dr. W twice again. And they did add Dig My Grave to encore #1. Not quite as good of a show as Madison though. Time to sleep....... Todd VH ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 03:15:01 -0400 (EDT) From: Majordomo Message-Id: <199810010715.DAA23740@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT When you send a message to the list you are sending messages to hundreds of people. Make sure that your message is one that hundreds of people need to read. Do not send "me too" messages to the list. Do not send messages about non-tmbg topics to the list. Hold private conversations in private e-mail. Sending messages that the list administrator deems off topic will result in your being removed from the list. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199810011141.HAA15620@elvis.vnet.net> From: "FD&C Blue #1" Date: Thu, 01 Oct 1998 07:42:59 -0500 Subject: Non-TMBG: how old are you all? -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- [Those of you who don't like pointless tangents can stop reading now, and indeed should probably not read anything I write, especially if it is labeled "Non-TMBG."] On Tue, 29 Sep 1998 14:32:19 -0400, Eric wrote: >just a question from me...what is the average age of everyone here?? Hm... since "average" can mean either the mean, median, or norm, I have no idea what my average age is. :-p Let's see if I can figure it out. [Trying to think about math stuff...] The average value of all the ages I have been (in one-year increments; I don't want to do integrals here) would be (0+1+2+...+27)/28, or 13.5. My mean age over this time period would be that age between 0 and 27, or 27/2 = 13.5. Then you've got the median, which would be that point at which there are the same number of values above and below, which gives you (again including zero as a value) 13.5 again. So, there you have it -- apparently, on average, I'm thirteen and a half. ;) *** Of course, if you really want to know what the average age of the entire group ("everyone here") is, it's pretty much impossible to know, unless everyone's going to send in their ages so some fool can do a tally, and there are lurkers like me who won't say anything unless they come up with some pointless, wise-ass answer like this. :) Since I have too much time on my hands (at the moment), I can tell you what the average is for the people who responded publicly: Of 19 respondents, ranging from 15 to 27, the total age is 377; divide that by 19 and you get 19.84, the simple average. Midway between 15 and 27 is 21, the mean. The median, if you rank all 19 values in ascending order, occurs at the third instance of the number 19; if you eliminate duplicates, leaving only ten unique values, the median falls between 19 and 21, so you average it and get 20. *** You know, I must really hate Calculus, if I'm neglecting my studies of it to do =this!= :-p I leave you to your discussions of when hostility is necessary. ;) Older than most of you've ever been, =] Carl Hudkins + Tape list available at =--> http://users.vnet.net/chud/ [y ] [t =] "I'm gonna get up in the morning ][ "I am not your broom." [h ] I believe I'll dust my broom." ][ [e =] - ZZ Top - ][ - TMBG - [r -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: 2.6.2 Comment: Would you send mail without an envelope? iQCVAwUBNhNqwr5BFpotHh45AQEIsgP/QtY9Bgvyd8AAmfPJH+s4HFK02ie5shmn +49LzR/cXqcQf2F0TktHku/1eJJMXYCa9BckvbrwX2jpO7F6+Wwfa9PfgmduOpr/ Vs6UwKbAdfLdV5coSpO2CBDhCZ25TQ1aHKPA/+7iU1hohH6CTwXh66gzrrdMUj34 8GIBRi5Skhs= =RUPM -----END PGP SIGNATURE----- ------------------------------ From: mjames@khserver.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9810011312.AA27754@khserver.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Burn-out, anyone? Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 09:12:20 -0400 (EDT) > On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, Josh Buckland wrote: > > > In rescent days, I've been... BURNT-OUT on Them. What do you people do > > when you get bored with the Johns. It seems like I feel like this every > > two months. Is there a cure? IS THERE NO END????? I'm due for another > > 3-4 weeks of this private hell! Help me, please!!!!! Hopefully you do listen to other albums of other bands and don't listen exclusively to TMBG. Just keep listening to other music and listen to TMBG when you feel that you really want to. That TMBG urge will come back soon enough. -Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 08:18:44 -0600 (MDT) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: NON-TMBG: ages, free plug Message-ID: i'm 21. is there a way that this can be set up when you sign up for the list (some sort of "please provide us with some demographic information"-type thing)? finally, for any SLC-area listies: Glade, the rock(ish) band i'm in, will be playing at a benefit for the make-a-wish foundation this coming saturday (the day after tomorrow) at noon at the starbuck's at 15th S., 15th E. in SLC. i think the setup is that all the money from any coffee you buy goes to the foundation. i think. anyway, if you get a chance, come on by -- it's a good cause. as far as the music goes, it's somewhere between elliott smith, r.e.m., moxy fruvous's "wood", and wilco. with some bill evans thrown in for good measure. --jim kuemmerle, who just played the zephyr club with glade last night. man, that's a nice club... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981001172349.11494.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Scott Reed" Subject: TMBG: Re: Age & MBTI Date: Thu, 01 Oct 1998 12:23:49 CDT I am 20. I am an ISTJ. I am a Gemini. I want a glass of water. BTW, The MBTI is merely an indication of what a person would typically do, not a difinitive answer to dictate behavior. I disagree with the "either one way or the other" mentality, though. I fall almost exactly between J and P, and share charachterisitics of both, but on the other hand I am a hard-core I, S, and T. Just remember that the most important word in MBTI is _indicator_ not _dictator_. Bjorky ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 10:31:34 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: TMBG: how old are you all? Message-ID: 16 in a month ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3613C7B0.B0233347@disnoids.org> Date: Thu, 01 Oct 1998 13:19:27 -0500 From: Summer Burton Subject: Re: TMBG: how old are you all? I'm 16. Oh, and I'm an ENFP and fairly new to the list.. And I've only seen Them in concert once, when I was 11 1/2, my first concert in Washington DC. -- Stay Spiffy! Love, Summer summer@disnoids.org http://www.bga.com/~melissab "When you cry in such great sorrow / it will not last long for love will always come tomorrow / and then you will be strong" -Naiman Rigby ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19981001142727.0090e900@email.uc.edu> Date: Thu, 01 Oct 1998 14:27:28 -0400 From: Heather Garver Subject: TMBG: Ages, upcoming show in Cincy Well, to reply to the ongoing age thread, I'll be 22 tomorrow!!!!! And only one week from that date will be the return of the twin quasars of rock to Cincinnati. So, if anyone is interested in a list get together or something like that, let me know. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <00b501bded6b$e67a4be0$9d061ecf@default> From: "Green Jello" Subject: Re: TMBG: Ages, upcoming show in Cincy Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 14:47:09 -0400 Last time on St. Elsewhere, Dr. Heather Garver announced to the staff: >Well, to reply to the ongoing age thread, I'll be 22 tomorrow!!!!! And >only one week from that date will be the return of the twin quasars of rock >to Cincinnati. So, if anyone is interested in a list get together or >something like that, let me know. I would, my Queen, but I've moved to Florida! Yikes... that'd be quite a trip for a show! Maybe I could hold the new record. Brother John Green Jello who can guarantee (since he's seen her at every show at Bogart's the past few years) that Heather is one of the sweat-ridden, party-hearty, jump up and down, sing my heart out and go crazy til I have to run to Kroger's afterward to keep from dehydrating crew! You NEED to party with her and her gang. (I assume your pals will go to, eh?) Please hold a moment of silence for me in front of the cooler with my usual Gatorade Lemon Ice after the show! ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 18:00:37 -0400 Subject: TMBG: figures Message-ID: <19980929.235835.4446.10.particle.man@juno.com> From: particle.man@juno.com (Anon Y Mous) Figures I fall asleep during the 11:00 news. I was trying to stay up to watch SNL but I only got 5 hours sleep the night before. DOH! Guess I'll have to catch it on reruns. What WAS the cartoon? particle.man@juno.com ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 16:55:33 -0400 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Video Bootleg 3 questions. Message-ID: <19980929.235835.4446.0.particle.man@juno.com> From: particle.man@juno.com (Anon Y Mous) >On the basis that some of current hostility may arise out of boredom >let >me ask a number of questions about the excellent TMBG Video Bootleg >Vol 3. Umm, I was not aware that this existed. Obviously bootlegs will exist, but titled bootlegs, I didn't know about. Where might I get this or any of the other volumes? ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 18:02:30 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #10-23 Message-ID: <19980929.235835.4446.11.particle.man@juno.com> From: particle.man@juno.com (Anon Y Mous) >What kind of a world are we living in where someone compares >breastfeeding a baby (one of the most beautiful things) with: a) >removing a tampon > b) a dirty old man pinching you on the >arse I don't think she was comparing...just listing some bizzarre, gross, or unfortunate things she's experienced at You-Know-WhereMart ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 16:57:59 -0400 Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Walmart Message-ID: <19980929.235835.4446.1.particle.man@juno.com> From: particle.man@juno.com (Anon Y Mous) >I could have sworn that the number one employer was (and has been for >a >couple of years) Manpower. You know, the temp agency? I don't >know...Michael Moore said it when I saw him speak, so I'm believing >him. >We've both been wrong before, though. I just remember being in the car with my dad last year and him having NPR or All Things Considered or something like that that I would never listen to normally and they said Walmart was number 1. ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 17:27:41 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Band Foo... Message-ID: <19980929.235835.4446.3.particle.man@juno.com> From: particle.man@juno.com (Anon Y Mous) > I'm surprised no one has mentioned Crash Test Dummies. I haven't >listened to any new CDs, if any exist, but their first two albums >sound surprisingly TMBG-ish lyrically, although their musical style is >softer and more sedate. However, their songs have a similar >multi-level lyrical nature, being silly when taken one way, quite deep >taken on another, quite scary taken yet another way, and so on. err..I never really compared the 2. The only similarity I can come up with is the voice of the CTD guys and the voice on Whistling in the Dark (is that Linnell?) The lyrics of CTD sound more like that of Primus than TMBG in my opinion. Talking about people's lives n stuff. But CTD's vocals are really looonnnggg annnd drraawwwnnn oouuuttt. "Oonnnnccceeee, there was this booooooy whoooose...", whereas TMBG (and Primus moreso) seem hyper and fast (with the exception maybe of O Do Not Foresake Me et cetera). ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 17:33:01 -0400 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: a request. Message-ID: <19980929.235835.4446.4.particle.man@juno.com> From: particle.man@juno.com (Anon Y Mous) >Well at least someone on this list has something decent to say. Well >done Courtney and Jim, with any luck all you dickheads out there who >have been arguing about stupid movies and shopping centres ought to >take a good hard look at yourselves and realise that this is a THEY >MIGHT BE GIANTS list, not some outlet for underskilled debators who >have nothing else to do with their life but write crap emails. Well, I think it is my place as one of the "dickheads" and "underskilled debators", to write a "crap email" to you in response to your message. You criticize our getting off the subject, when your post has nothing to do with TMBG, except mentioning that this is a TMBG list (duh). You criticize debators (or whatever you wish to call it) and yet you seem to want to start an arguement by calling people dickheads and underskilled. And lastly, you mention crap emails...and your email had absolutely no point, nor will it change any of the postings, but thanks for your input. >My first outing on the list "That's the problem with first impressions...you only get one." -- Some lady at a country club on the Simpsons (it seemed fitting) ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 17:46:35 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #10-23 Message-ID: <19980929.235835.4446.6.particle.man@juno.com> From: particle.man@juno.com (Anon Y Mous) >on each one with pure HATE. one time, some teens came and blew their >nose on >tissues which they tossed on the floor for me to pick up. i called one >of scrumptious >another woman found it cool to breast feed her kid on a bench in my >department. ewwww!!!! another time, a woman removed her tampon in the >depatrment and threw it in with some merchandise (i work in a slummy >area). >the last straw came when an old man came up behind me, grabbed my ass >and >said, "is this on sale?" HEHE, I scream-laughed out loud when I read this. When I first read this I thought you were a guy (I don't know why, so don't ask :) so that just made the part about the old man that much funnier). Hehehe. WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE??? >i'm currently working on a screenplay where an upset clerk gets insane >and >kills each customer violently. see....you never know what evil lurks >behind >a forced smile. that's funny, I was thinking about the same thing a couple weeks ago. It should be funny. Clerks (which wasn't particularly funny, but you get the idea) meets Taxi Driver :) >--kathy >them a mother fu-----....and he threathened to have me fired! ha! i holy God! A girl who says that! I've never heard that before! what state do you work in? I'm going to go harass you :) ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 17:56:08 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: A LITTLE TMBG/MOSTLY NOT: a little fun Message-ID: <19980929.235835.4446.7.particle.man@juno.com> From: particle.man@juno.com (Anon Y Mous) >>i would have to get mideval on their ass. >that saying so lame talking like baby so dumb >NEVER eat >in a restroom ESPECIALLY a Walmart restroom. I think that babies umm, babies have no sense of gross or not gross, nevermind civilized or uncizilized. As long as there are no health hazards in the bathroom, why would the baby care if it is fed there. But I have an idea, how about a car or a house? It isn't necesarily gross (the actual action of breastfeeding), but more innapropriate. It's a sagging version of Playboy for any little kid who walks by. >only place your Walmart working butt eats a meal... is in a public >restroom >or in the privacy of your own home. See if you think that's cool. but she doesn't have to expose herself to eat a sandwich. That's the difference. >>i'm currently working on a screenplay where an upset clerk gets >insane and >>kills each customer violently. see.... >you need some help. you are getting close to Josh "Idiot of the Year >1998" It's a god damned story. There are these people called authors who write fictional books for people to read, and they make lots o money. Why is she an idiot for that? Stephen King writes violent stories, does he need help? He's just a geek who happens to be a creative writer. >online. We've had enough of that kind of crap. Find Josh and marry and who's Josh Whatshisface? ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 17:40:44 -0400 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Movies and Bands Message-ID: <19980929.235835.4446.5.particle.man@juno.com> From: particle.man@juno.com (Anon Y Mous) Man, people must really be starting to hate me. I can't seem to agree with anybody :) I'll try. >Here Here! First, watch Life of Brian, then watch the TV Shows, which >are way >funnier than all the movies. (And after John Cleese left (snif) they I don't know about Life Of Brian (the only movie I havn't seen), but I really didn't care for the shows much. A few sketches were really (REALLY) good (mostly the ones that were put on tape (The Parrot Sketch, Ministry of Silly Walks, etc.)) but the rest seemed a little dry...like they kept trying to do the same type of humor over and over. Maybe it's just that they didn't go to the same extents to get a laugh as they did in the movies (or vice versa). >Dr. Strangelove- If you haven't seen this classic (I say that 'cause >it's >B&W), then go and get the pinnacle of 1960's satire I didn't really understand why this was a comedy. It really wasn't funny, it just had some looney people in it. >Deconstructing Harry (or Henry, I can't remember...)- The first Woodie AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! Being an anti-Allen, I hated this movie (as I did every of his). The man annoys me, oh so much. And I don't understand why women like him. He's ugly, skinny, obnoxious, dirty, GROSS. Mighty Aphrodite was remotely good only because of Mira Sorvino. Scenes From A Mall was awful, and the list goes on. Yicky. Maybe it's an aquired taste. >4. Garbage- Love all that techno noise and Manson's voice (Shirley, >not >Marilyn) I like them too, but about her voice...for some reason she always seems to sound like she's having an orgasm when she sings. ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 17:21:50 -0400 Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Walmart antics or fun w/ Walmart Message-ID: <19980929.235835.4446.2.particle.man@juno.com> From: particle.man@juno.com (Anon Y Mous) >>>Is this what you Earthlings refer to as Saurcasm (did I spell that >can't spell sarcasm, that does not determine my age, and just because >I can't spell, or wasn't sure of the spelling the word sarcasm, it >doesn't nessecarily mean I'm some sort of idiot. Who wants to be erm, yes it does. Not only did you misspell it, you found a way to put a u in there. Maybe sarcazm or sarckasm would be mildly acceptable. >damned perfect anyway, save that for the boring people. Well, you realize that nobody's perfect. There's just a few things 18 year olds should be able to do. >thought I stole things i.e. an atomically correct, massacared, punk >Barbie doll (that Matel never created) just because I had it in my I won't ask. >sent a worker to watch me and my friends just because we were teens. You are the reason why people do that. You give teens a bad name. Not to pick on you (with this little sidetrack), but that's why teen insurance is higher, people don't trust teens, etc. because for some reason, I'd say greater than half of all teens are boneheads and live to cause trouble. But that's a different post for a different list at a different time. >Sorry, I'm only defensive because I don't want to be seen as a >supporter of robery See this is what I find strange (in myself as well as others). People who steal things to get something don't annoy me (unless they're stealing from me). People who steal just to steal annoy me, and people who don't steal but cause trouble annoy me. I would rather know a person who stole a CD from WalMart yesterday than somebody who goes to WalMart to harass people. One has a point...illegal, but it has a point. >yeah but rights are there, and they are there to stay rights are constantly being infringed upon, and only sometimes do people realize the infringement is happening. >Haha, you'd probably hate me then, I'm just l;ike your little sister >:P and am proud of it But, see, my sister is 12. >Yes but who determines right or wrong, God, a higher being (hell, god >or a higher entity could be as much of an idiot as the rest of us, Oh come on, now. There are some (many) things that people JUST KNOW are wrong. From when we're toddlers, if mommy says don't touch the cookies, we touch the cookies. We know it's wrong, but he do it. It's human nature, and thus unavoidable to a point. But even if nobody ever told you that killing a person were bad, you'd still know. This being aside from the fact that some things are not socially acceptable, and thus society determines what's right or wrong. God (if you believe in God, which I do), gave us sort of an outline of behaviour, humans have cultured (and in some cases distorted) that to incorporate modern , umm, things. >care about who Neil Diamond is, but I'm sure that racist, bigots, and you don't know who Neil Diamond is? The innocence :) "Comin to America....we're comin to America!" >that. But I also have feelings, and deserve a little respect. And You deserve a little respect, but some of your actions don't. But as we can see, this is going nowhere, and we are clogging up the list. ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 00:21:13 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: how old are you all? Message-ID: <19980930.002720.4446.17.particle.man@juno.com> From: particle.man@juno.com (Anon Y Mous) >> just a question from me...what is the average age of everyone here?? I'm somewhere between 16 and 18. ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 14:04:17 -0600 (MDT) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Movies and Bands Message-ID: On Sat, 26 Sep 1998, Anon Y Mous wrote: > I don't know about Life Of Brian (the only movie I havn't seen) ooh! see, see, see!! (JIM stops babbling for a moment, catches his breath.) this is my absolute favorite of all the python projects. i'm an incurable agnostic, which probably has a lot to do with why. > >4. Garbage- Love all that techno noise and Manson's voice (Shirley, > >not Marilyn) > > I like them too, but about her voice...for some reason she always seems > to sound like she's having an orgasm when she sings. what's wrong with that? :) --jim kuemmerle, who just can't think of anything with which to follow that... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 14:07:50 -0600 (MDT) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: NON TMBG: spelling again Message-ID: On Sat, 26 Sep 1998, Anon Y Mous wrote: > >>>Is this what you Earthlings refer to as Saurcasm (did I spell that > > >can't spell sarcasm, that does not determine my age, and just because > >I can't spell, or wasn't sure of the spelling the word sarcasm, it > >doesn't nessecarily mean I'm some sort of idiot. Who wants to be > > erm, yes it does. Not only did you misspell it, you found a way to put a > u in there. Maybe sarcazm or sarckasm would be mildly acceptable. stop it. please, please, please stop it. you're making my brain hurt and my blood pressure accelerate. i don't hate you. i'm not mad. i am just sick and tired of hearing this sentiment when it has no basis in fact. --jim kuemmerle, NOT wanting to go down this road again... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3613e369487b002@garnet.tc.umn.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Barrymore Review Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 15:17:45 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts As I once put it: >First Avenue, Minneapolis, MN 9-29-98 setlist: (copied from >Todd VH's barrymore review since it's almost identical: [...] >>*Particle Man (Total Eclipse of the Heart interlude) > >We had a different interlude, but I can't for the life of me remember >what it was... Now I do recall - one line from "Kumbaya". >From: PROFITEERS@aol.com > >Well no one has jumped me on it yet but I looked over my review and noticed I >left out one of the coolest parts of the show. They played 30 songs (at least >if I'm not forgetting something else.) But they did a hugely rockin version of >SUBLIMINAL. Linnell on the squeeze box, pretty blissful. Also at the Minneapolis show, early in the set. On another note... >From: superman75@juno.com (Adam Schaaf) [...] >>>After Hours Party at the Insect Hospital > >i'm taking it that this is a new song. what's >it sound like? anyone else know anything >on it? IIRC, this was a short instrumental interlude. Unlike "Working Undercover for the Man", which is a full blown song. %% Chris Bongaarts %% Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu %% http://umn.edu/~cab %% U of Minnesota %% CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) %% Stop Plate Tectonics! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 16:38:16 -0400 (EDT) From: Rachel Yudell Subject: TMBG: woohoo:) Message-ID: well well ell...finally bought my tickets for the october 13th show. just me myself and i. haven't seen the johns in almost a year and i'm hankerin' for some tmbg stage magic:) i'll be coming into the city from the ne 'burbs if anyone wants meet up before the show. i haven't been this pumped about a show since...the last johns show i saw=) \ later skaters and yes...i will eventually get around to somesort of fromal self introduction;) ray chill i'm 24 by the way "It's friggin' freezing in here mr bigglesworth!" Mike Myers---Austin Powers ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 15:49:51 -0500 (CDT) From: bill tatalovich Subject: Re: NON TMBG: sigh... Message-ID: Hey all-- Well, I'm going to try to get a bit of TMBG-related news in here. I must say that "Working Undercover for the Man" is a GREAT song. Having heard it at the St. Louis show, I hope they don't mess with it too much, and it appears on an album much like I heard it that night. Come on...any TMBG song with "la la la" in it at any point is cool. Okay, on with the stuff that you can probably just delete right now.... On Sat, 26 Sep 1998, Anon Y Mous wrote: > >can't spell sarcasm, that does not determine my age, and just because > >I can't spell, or wasn't sure of the spelling the word sarcasm, it > >doesn't nessecarily mean I'm some sort of idiot. Who wants to be > > erm, yes it does. Not only did you misspell it, you found a way to put a > u in there. Maybe sarcazm or sarckasm would be mildly acceptable. Ah, the spelling police again.... > See this is what I find strange (in myself as well as others). People > who steal things to get something don't annoy me (unless they're stealing > from me). People who steal just to steal annoy me, and people who don't > steal but cause trouble annoy me. I would rather know a person who stole > a CD from WalMart yesterday than somebody who goes to WalMart to harass > people. One has a point...illegal, but it has a point. Yeah, and it's against one of the ten Commandments too...or was there an amendment that I'm not aware of that says, "Okay, you can steal if it's from a corporation?" > rights are constantly being infringed upon, and only sometimes do people > realize the infringement is happening. For example, my realization that Mr. Anon Y Mous is infringing on my right to a nice e-mail quota limit by feeling the need to fill my inbox with crap. > Oh come on, now. There are some (many) things that people JUST KNOW are > wrong. From when we're toddlers, if mommy says don't touch the cookies, > we touch the cookies. We know it's wrong, but he do it. It's human > nature, and thus unavoidable to a point. But even if nobody ever told > you that killing a person were bad, you'd still know. This being aside > from the fact that some things are not socially acceptable, and thus > society determines what's right or wrong. Actually, for a short time, those toddlers touch the cookies not because we know that it's wrong, but because we don't realize what "wrong" is. We don't realize that something being "wrong" means that we'll get in trouble. So we touch the cookies, until we realize that the punishment we receive for touching those cookies is not worth the touching of the cookies in the first place. > God (if you believe in God, which I do), gave us sort of an outline of > behaviour, humans have cultured (and in some cases distorted) that to > incorporate modern , umm, things. But what about those of us who are godless souls, what do we do? Prescribe to the aforementioned societal rules, which, if we go through some of the popularly accepted ideas on here, would include stealing? Come on...I do believe that society nowadays (for the most part...I'm making generalizations that won't hold up in specific circumstances) doesn't base their behavior on god's teachings. Keep in mind here that I am by no means a "pure" person. I am not judging the idea of stealing, just using it as an example of going against popularly accepted societal standards. > you don't know who Neil Diamond is? The innocence :) "Comin to > America....we're comin to America!" Wait...wasn't it "Keep comin' to America...keep comin' to America?" > But as we can see, this is going nowhere, and we are clogging up the > list. Hm....what was it, four, five messages, all of which were completely made up of thinly veiled flames? Watch who's saying "we," my friend. >>Dr. Strangelove- If you haven't seen this classic (I say that 'cause >>it's in B&W), then go and get the pinnacle of 1960's satire > > I didn't really understand why this was a comedy. It really wasn't > funny, it just had some looney people in it. Oh, come on. As whoever suggested the film in the first place, it's satire. Satire of the entire military at that time, and of the Cold War in general. The "looney people" in the film are what make the movie funny. And if not funny, then the movie is at least a great movie, both visually and in terms of dialogue. And it has a young James Earl Jones, for god's sake! You can't go wrong with that... >>Deconstructing Harry (or Henry, I can't remember...)- The first Woodie > > AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! Being an anti-Allen, I hated this movie > (as I did every of his). The man annoys me, oh so much. And I don't > understand why women like him. He's ugly, skinny, obnoxious, dirty, > GROSS. Mighty Aphrodite was remotely good only because of Mira Sorvino. > Scenes From A Mall was awful, and the list goes on. Yicky. Maybe it's > an aquired taste. Ahhh. Well, Mr. Anon Y Mous....at least we agree on something. Apologies. The Rev |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| | Reverend Bill Tatalovich | Home page: | | | http://students.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/ | | wt3@cec.wustl.edu |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ | personnel@kwur.wustl.edu | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ From: TMBGibs@aol.com Message-ID: <42400b59.3613fa8e@aol.com> Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 17:56:30 EDT Subject: TMBG: sad news A friend (very close) died 2 days ago. He was a BIG TMBG fan. He was killed in a car accident. It was very sad. Him (Andrew) and his friend (Matt) were biking down by the school. It was late and they had just gotten left a party. They were biking across the street, when a speeding car hit them. Andrew and Matt both died. Matt died instantly, Andrew died a couple minutes later. They were BIG TMBG fans, & I just wanted everyone to know. They will be missed... Me ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 15:07:07 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Walmart Message-ID: What's wrong with NPR? All Things Considered is one of my favorite radio shows. Oh, and by the way, I've been known to post multiple times in a row in my day, but the past string of messages was a bit excessive. Cap'n Helfgott ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 16:19:18 -0600 Subject: Re: NON TMBG: sigh... Message-ID: <19981001.162341.11062.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> > I hope they don't mess with it too much, and >it >appears on an album much like I heard it that night. Come on...any >TMBG >song with "la la la" in it at any point is cool. okay... so i started out thinking that it was a cover song... mostly because I just couldn't imagine the john's writing a song with "la la la" or "sha na na" in it... then after talking with TDK the other day, he changed my mind. But honestly... does anyone know of any songs with that title... i'm thinking 70's era perhaps? well anyways, if anyone happens to run into the johns or any other band members at any of these upcomming shows... feel free to ask 'em and enlighten us :P take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 16:28:43 -0600 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Band Foo.. Message-ID: <19981001.162844.11062.5.TMBgirl@juno.com> > And it's not the same without Jerry. It never >will >be. But it's still good. I went to the further fest a couple of months ago. it was definately cool. I thought that the other ones were pretty dern good, but you're right it's just not the same... i never list any bands like the dead, phish (who i get to see in a month or so), rusted root, widespread panic (etc.) when this thread comes up... i guess i just assumed TMBG fans wouldn't be into that sorta shtuff... silly me :) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html :::MOXY FRUVOUS TOMORROW!!!:::: ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: CPatubo@mindscape.com Message-ID: <88256690.007BFD7C.00@nvtomta.mindscape.com> Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 15:34:18 -0700 Subject: TMBG: Mactown for Kaleidoscope Have any of you seen a Kaleidoscope Scheme (for mac) called "MacTown"? There is an icon included in the set called "Boat of Car". Pretty obscure, but I thought you'd all wanna know of it. :) - toonie - -- Courtney L. Patubo toonie@tmbg.org (home) * cpatubo@mindscape.com (work) ICQ #3762743 * http://www.sirius.com/~cpatubo ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 18:39:41 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Mactown for Kaleidoscope In a message dated 10/1/98 6:36:47 PM, CPatubo@mindscape.com writes: >Have any of you seen a Kaleidoscope Scheme (for mac) called "MacTown"? >There is an icon included in the set called "Boat of Car". Pretty obscure, >but I thought you'd all wanna know of it. :) > yup! :D i had emailed the creator of it when i first saw that... he replied back saying how he never thought anyone would notice. :) ~sarah <- who went through a nasty kaleidoscope scheme creating phase (and one of her schemes made it to a promo kaleidoscope cd-rom ;p) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <015801bded95$36676e20$9d061ecf@default> From: "Green Jello" Subject: NONTMBG: The Brother is joining the Reverend PLUS TMBG Gas! Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 19:42:53 -0400 I heard a clip of the original WDTSS on a television commercial this morning and I smiled! It was on Florida schools and the record was playing in the background of the "old time" 50's school that had good education. ***NOW FOR THE NONTMBG STUFF*** In his little diatribe this afternoon Anon Y Mous said: >>>i would have to get mideval on their ass. >>that saying so lame > >talking like baby so dumb When I read the reply that the Reverend made to Anon-E-Moose I noticed something very funny in Anon's original post, so I'll cut-n-paste it in here: >We know it's wrong, but he do it. It's human Hehehehe isn't this what he jumped my case for? A simple grammatical error due to a typo? How is "that saying [is] so lame" any different from "but he do[es] it"? Lighten up Mr. Policeman! Maybe he thinks that he and Cindy Brady are the only ones who can get away with baby talk like that! The Reverend made a very good point, that many of us old-time-listees have made: We are trying to make sure that there is at LEAST SOME TMBG CONTENT in these messages. No matter how hard we have to force it! :-) Brother John Green Jello, who also heard that Brother John Blackhawk's cousin is on the list now! Tell him hi! >but she doesn't have to expose herself to eat a sandwich. That's the >difference. For crying outloud!!! It's a boob! It's food for the baby! Welcome to your first step out of the stone age! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19981001204141.007be4c0@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Thu, 01 Oct 1998 20:41:41 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Finished With Lies on DAS Hop on over to Dialasong.com and listen to Finished With Lies in all its lo-fi glory. -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: Tmbg4life@aol.com Message-ID: <5b2ade23.361424ef@aol.com> Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 20:57:19 EDT Subject: TMBG: is this has been posted. oh well. DAS if you people can't hear the song from the dialasong.com. try this address: www.tmbg.com/dial/sound/. you can get all the past ones along with it ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 23:19:43 EDT Subject: TMBG: more tmbg pics... if anyone cares, i put pics up [finally] of the buffalo edgefest show. (woo hoo, i feel like tdk! ) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/concerts/083098.html and also, my other picture from ... *the scene of the they'll need a crane video* http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Disco/9687/tnac2.jpg ~~sarah ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3614499D.63C97A90@tc.umn.edu> Date: Thu, 01 Oct 1998 22:33:49 -0500 From: Laura Miller Subject: TMBG: new subscriber Hi! I'm Laura Miller and I'm new to this list. I'm currently a graduate student in chemistry (2nd year) at the University of Minnesota. I'm a big TMBG fan (of course). I have all the albums except for Severe Tire Damage which I haven't got around to buying yet. I just went to my first TMBG concert a couple days ago when they were playing in Minneapolis. It was awesome!! Definitely worth the $12 price. The coolest part was when they used the puppets for Exquisite Dead Guy. It was also funny when they tried to sing Shoehorn With Teeth really fast. Laura ------------------------------ From: Batbrain99@aol.com Message-ID: <2f160b03.36145106@aol.com> Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 00:05:26 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: more tmbg pics... In a message dated 98-10-01 23:22:25 EDT, you write: << and also, my other picture from ... *the scene of the they'll need a crane video* >> very nice picture! it must be neat-o to visit such a historic TMBG site. next time you can find the skyline backdrop used for birdhouse. anyway, speaking of the "they'll need a crane video" i remember a while back during a discussion of whether or not the johns were cute. everyone said they got a "tingly feeling" from linnel when he gave a certain look at a certain part. i recently got the video so... what part is it!? just wondering, really Bat"I wish i got a tingly feeling"Brain * ------------------------------------------------------------ "We should check out where the other nightmare people like to go" ~There May Be Giants ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19981001231911.007bf7f0@mail.uslink.net> Date: Thu, 01 Oct 1998 23:19:11 -0500 From: "J.D. Malmquist" Subject: TMBG: Minneapolis Show (9/29) The Minneapolis show kicked ass... I don't think I'd ever read specifics on what the 'sticks' were that They bring out during EDG, so it was a wonderful surprise when that came up. Another thing They did I haven't heard mentioned (that they said they had jettisoned from tours earlier in their career) was a 'fast-forwarded' version of Shoehorn, complete with slightly muffled glockenspiel manned by whichever Dan is on drums. And as I've seen mentioned a couple of times, they did do Dr. Worm twice. I can't remember offhand what might have been 'non-standard' for this tour. They again did the "You're older..." song, which I'd like to get an .mp3 of if anyone has it. I'll look on dialasong (which they talked briefly about during the show) a bit later. Flans had someone in the crowd play his guitar during both runs of The Famous Polka. I picked up the Monopuff cd, (but haven't had a chance to listen to it yet) a hat, and a sticker, and my wife got the giant insects and 2040 tour shirts. Altogether, it was a great first 'real' show. I'd seen them over a year ago when they opened for Hootie and it was pretty terrible, but I attribute that to the venue (an indoor arena/hockey rink) and to terrible seats. Oh yeah, and a stupid question... is that Flansburgh on the cover of It's Fun to Steal? I can't tell. My wife thinks it's Johnny Depp on the color page with no text (b/w pic, lower right) but I seriously doubt that. Anyone know for either of those? JD ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 00:23:10 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Minneapolis Show (9/29) In a message dated 10/1/98 12:21:11 AM, pronell@uslink.net writes: >Oh yeah, and a stupid question... is that Flansburgh on the cover of It's >Fun to Steal? I can't tell. My wife thinks it's Johnny Depp on the color >page with no text (b/w pic, lower right) but I seriously doubt that. >Anyone know for either of those? > yes and yes. kate moss is also in there. *bleh!* and the woman holding what looks like a yearbook is john's wife. ~sarah ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #11-2 *****************************