Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #11-21 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 11, Number 21 Wednesday, 21 October 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: not surprising... Re: TMBG: 4 of 2 lyrics TMBG: They Might be in the charts... Re: TMBG: 4 of 2 lyrics Re: TMBG: They Might be in the charts... NONTMBG: 4 of 2 lyrics (drifted off into HHGTTG...) TMBG: HGTTG and such things Re: TMBG: Totally Rockin Non TMBG: 42 TMBG: Russ Josephson??? TMBG: 1-4-5 *again*! TMBG: Bootleg TMBG: Video Re: TMBG: 4 of 2 Re: (off) Re: TMBG: Bragging/brown hair dye trend Re: TMBG: Bootlegs TMBG: Hatch Shell 98 Concert Re: TMBG: 1-4-5 *again*! (4 of 2 chords) TMBG: Harvey D and Flans Re: NONTMBG: 4 of 2 lyrics (drifted off into HHGTTG...) TMBG:Total Request Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 02:06:59 EDT Subject: TMBG: not surprising... out of curiousity, i did the "mtv online search". what turned up? You searched for they might be giants Sorry... We don't have anything about they might be giants i'l say. man, this is becoming even more of a joke than it was. at least they USED to have tmbg stuff archived.. sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <362CC344.67BC@pop.uky.edu> Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 10:07:16 -0700 From: thesfc Subject: Re: TMBG: 4 of 2 lyrics Hmm... my first impression is that it sounds like The Raven (poe). Someone mentioned a possible reference to 42, and someone else said that even if the Johns didn't do it intentionally then it happened b/c 42 was ingrained in their minds b/c were part of the computer created to calculate the Question to Life the Universe and Everything. The only flaw in this idea is that WE aren't part of the machine. We're decendents of phone sanitizers, lawyers, and military personnel from another planet who killed off the original inhabitants. the sfc > >Ok, I listened to this song with great difficulty (loud people in the > >room holding a conversation) and probably misheard a lot of lyrics. > > Posted by Brian Beissel on Monday, 19 October 1998, at 9:41 p.m with > minor corrections by ME. > > Here they are, before anyone even asked...(how's that for service?) > Please post any corrections. > > At 4 of 2 I was staring into space I had to move, there were things I had > to do I wasn't really doing anything I was standing around and I looked > at the clock And the clock said 4 of 2 > > I was late, my appointment was at 2 With a beautiful girl I had met the > night before I would tell her I was in love with her But I still hadn't > moved And I looked at the clock And it still said 4 of 2 > > When I'm late it makes me feel upset When I'm upset I might do something > rash Like stare at the wall and grind my teeth Which is just what I did, > though I really had to leave And the clock said 4 of 2 > > At 4 of 2, I had a great idea To break the chain of inactivity I put my > hands around my neck And started to strangle myself And I looked at the > clock And it still said 4 of 2 > > At 4 of 2 I successfully expired and My breathing ceased and my heart no > longer beat My eyes stayed open, lifelessly They continued to stare at > the clock on the wall They continued to stare at the clock on the wall > And it still said 4 of 2 > > take it easy, JOrdaN > http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html > > ___________________________________________________________________ > You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. > Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com > or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] -- ***********************SIGMORPHER V1.0************************ *I walk along darkened corridors, and I walk along * *darkened corridors fingertips, tmbg * ***********************sfc software 97************************ ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 08:09:33 -0600 Subject: TMBG: They Might be in the charts... Message-ID: <19981020.080936.3534.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> Hey hEY! So I'm looking through this stack of old magazines at a garage sale and come across a rolling stone... in french. It was from march, 1990... Anyways, i flip to the back, where all the charts are... just for the hell of it and i see that this was the first week Flood had entered the charts at #36 right in front of Cher's "Heart of Stone" and behind the likes of Paula Abdul ("forever your girl" was #1), Janet Jackson, Milli Vanilli, NKOTB (they've got both hangin' tough and their s/t albums in)... and yes, the soundtrack to "when harry met sally" They also have the "Charts Etudiants USA" which, with my limited knowledge of french is the "college charts" (oui? non? someone that speaks the lang?) where Flood proudly holds the #2 spot :) (behing Peter Murphy's "Deep" album.) anyways, gave me an idea of just how totally different they were (just looking at who they're in the charts with) and are, and to have lasted this long is pretty dern spiffy :) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 08:13:14 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: 4 of 2 lyrics Message-ID: <19981020.081317.3534.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> >Someone mentioned a possible reference to 42, I really need to read HHGTTG don't i? anyways, before i heard the song I had Soul Coughing's "4 out of 5" in my head while i was waiting for it to dl. Anyone think of any other references? take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 09:33:44 -0500 (CDT) From: Jim Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might be in the charts... Message-ID: On Tue, 20 Oct 1998 tmbgirl@juno.com wrote: > They also have the "Charts Etudiants USA" which, with my limited > knowledge of french is the "college charts" (oui? non? someone that > speaks the lang?) That's probably about as close as you can get . . . literally, I believe it means "US Student Charts" or some such. Or maybe "Study Charts" . . . Argh! High school French, where are you when I need you?! Jim ------------------------------ Message-ID: <003901bdfc3a$7978bb20$da061ecf@default> From: "Green Jello" Subject: NONTMBG: 4 of 2 lyrics (drifted off into HHGTTG...) Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 11:01:05 -0400 >calculate the Question to Life the Universe and Everything. The only >flaw in this idea is that WE aren't part of the machine. We're >decendents of phone sanitizers, lawyers, and military personnel from >another planet who killed off the original inhabitants. Except, over the years these things have become part of us... the air we breathe, the water we drink, the food we eat, the places we sleep. It has to make the people part of it, or how could Fenny have finally come up with the question? If people didn't blend in with the experiment she couldn't have known the question. How's that for logic? Brother John Green Jello VIVA LA 42! p.s. Jordan... go to almost any major bookstore and buy the BLUE covered full set for like $15... I bought the GREEN covered one about 7 years ago and it is missing the final (maybe????????) book *Mostly Harmless*. Oddly enough the 5 books are often referred to as the "Increasingly inaccurately named Hitchhikers trilogy" The BLUE covered one contains: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe The Restaurant at the End of the Universe Life, the Universe, and Everything So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish Mostly Harmless and the short (yet worthless to me... b/c I don't care for it) story: Young Zaphod Plays It Safe ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000801bdfc49$9f4bd080$5a228a81@refund.rcn.nmt.edu> From: "Refund" Subject: TMBG: HGTTG and such things Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 10:49:35 -0600 For all you Hitchhiker's fans out there, Douglas Adams has announced that his newest book, The Salmon of Doubt, will be the 6th book in the ever increasingly inaccurately named Hitchhiker's trilogy. It was originally going to be another Dirk Gently book, which, for those of you who don't own them, KICK ASS!!! Anyway...he decided the events would better fit Arthur Dent, and so it's going to be the 6th book. I don't know when it's going to be released, though..so don't ask. ;0) Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the state of New Mexico. The effect? I'll tell you what the effect is! It's pissing me off! Ghostbusters, the Movie. P.S. Visit www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Amphitheatre/5550/ The first Julie Plug tribute page in HISTORY!!! :0) ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Totally Rockin Message-ID: <19981020.145015.8063.0.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A Klein) Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 14:51:45 EDT >>Am i crazy or did monopuff actuallly bring out a video for "totally rockin"? >>Anyway what happens in the video? i really wanna know! Check out volume 2 of the video bootlegs. The whole videos on near the end. Derek "What is everyone staring at?" ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 15:20:54 -0400 Subject: Non TMBG: 42 Message-ID: <19981020.152152.9942.0.gray42@juno.com> On Tue, 20 Oct 1998 10:07:16 -0700 thesfc writes: >Hmm... my first impression is that it sounds like The Raven (poe). >Someone mentioned a possible reference to 42, and someone else said >that >even if the Johns didn't do it intentionally then it happened b/c 42 >was >ingrained in their minds b/c were part of the computer created to >calculate the Question to Life the Universe and Everything. The only >flaw in this idea is that WE aren't part of the machine. We're >decendents of phone sanitizers, lawyers, and military personnel from >another planet who killed off the original inhabitants. ah yes, but after 2,ooo,ooo years as inhabitants, it must've sorta rubbed off on us somewhere along the line. Eating the things we do (fellow Earth animals, plants, and fruits, vitamin 42 hehe.) It's just screwed up and no good, you know like What's 6 X 9? Mysterio Gal (Humans are actually the 4th most intelligent. John F. and John L. the first, mice the second, and dolphins the third) "Ugh ugh ugh grrrrrr ugh." --Caveman MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 >the sfc > > >> >Ok, I listened to this song with great difficulty (loud people in >the >> >room holding a conversation) and probably misheard a lot of lyrics. >> >> Posted by Brian Beissel on Monday, 19 October 1998, at 9:41 p.m with >> minor corrections by ME. >> >> Here they are, before anyone even asked...(how's that for service?) >> Please post any corrections. >> >> At 4 of 2 I was staring into space I had to move, there were things >I had >> to do I wasn't really doing anything I was standing around and I >looked >> at the clock And the clock said 4 of 2 >> >> I was late, my appointment was at 2 With a beautiful girl I had met >the >> night before I would tell her I was in love with her But I still >hadn't >> moved And I looked at the clock And it still said 4 of 2 >> >> When I'm late it makes me feel upset When I'm upset I might do >something >> rash Like stare at the wall and grind my teeth Which is just what I >did, >> though I really had to leave And the clock said 4 of 2 >> >> At 4 of 2, I had a great idea To break the chain of inactivity I put >my >> hands around my neck And started to strangle myself And I looked at >the >> clock And it still said 4 of 2 >> >> At 4 of 2 I successfully expired and My breathing ceased and my >heart no >> longer beat My eyes stayed open, lifelessly They continued to stare >at >> the clock on the wall They continued to stare at the clock on the >wall >> And it still said 4 of 2 >> >> take it easy, JOrdaN >> http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html >> >> ___________________________________________________________________ >> You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. >> Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com >> or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] > >-- >***********************SIGMORPHER V1.0************************ >*I walk along darkened corridors, and I walk along * >*darkened corridors fingertips, tmbg * >***********************sfc software 97************************ > ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Phil Jackson Message-Id: <199810202126.RAA28339@angels.heaven.net> Subject: TMBG: Russ Josephson??? Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 17:24:34 -0400 Is Russ Josephson out there if so please contact me asap. please. thank you ~Eric "Action" Jackson~ My Bootleg page and TMBG worship site Http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Underground/4117 [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 17:29:39 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: TMBG: 1-4-5 *again*! so, we've all spent the last few days listening to 4 of 2 now, and I figured I should post the chords... :) I don't have the bridge figured out, but I'm pretty sure it's the same pattern or so as the verses. 4 of 2 by They Might Be Giants (John Linnell) Intro: Eb Bb Ab - |: Eb Ab :| At 4 of 2 I was staring into space I had to move, there were things I had to do Ab Gm I wasn't really doing anything Eb Bb Eb Ab I was standing around and I looked at the clock Eb Bb Eb Ab Bb And the clock said 4 of 2 Ab - and all the rest of the verses are the same. the pattern is kind of easy to do once you can hear the distinctions between the chords. the saxophone usually just plays the root of the chord. (actually, there are no chords for the first line of the verses, just the sax doing "Eb, Eb, Eb/Bb/C/D Eb") enjoy! the MIDI will be available soon. :) Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "You keep handing out horseshoes * This space inadvertently Horseshoes have gotta be tossed." -Moxy Fruvous * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ From: TMBGibs@aol.com Message-ID: <30b8ac90.362d1175@aol.com> Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 18:40:53 EDT Subject: TMBG: Bootleg If any of you NY'ers live in Rochseter, I have good news. I have a new bootleg that im willing to: a. Sell b. Trade c. Bargan (sp?) With. E-mail me if you live in Rochester, and want it. Thanks! Me! P.S. Ill send you a letter of what songs are on it ONLY if you e-mail me and request it. ------------------------------ From: SuperD149@aol.com Message-ID: <15400d1b.362d12a7@aol.com> Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 18:45:59 EDT Subject: TMBG: Video Does anyone have any idea when the new video compilation will be released? Also, on a non-TMBG note, does anyone have the adress to going the Mighty Mighty Bosstones mailing list? If you have any answers to any of my questions please e-mail me at superd149@aol.com Thanks David P.S. Does anyone also have the current tour schedule? ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 18:52:32 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: 4 of 2 Message-ID: <19981020.185251.13710.0.gray42@juno.com> Hehe, I have good feelings about this one, or rather hopefulk ones. I personally can't get enough of it, and wish longingly that it'll appear on the next studio album, gee wouldn't that be great? Anyways, my friend was over earlier, and I was excitedly telling him about it. He was very tired and in a bad mood, and he didn't want to hear about TMBG. Well w/out warning him, I played it aloud and he was sucked into it's hypnotic tune. We listened to it 3 times, forwards and backwards. For a bit we discussed about how we could interpret it, and what movies it reminded us of. My good friend was no longer down in the dumps, he seemed quite happy having listened to it. He even hgopefully asked if it would be released on the next album. Then I explained Dial-a-song to him and so on. Geez I hope John and John stick this song on Insect Hospital, it's a real winner. Right up there with Dr. Worm and Birdhouse. Mysterio Gal (who's probably too excited for her own good) "Ugh ugh ugh grrrrrr ugh." --Caveman MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: CajunGram@aol.com Message-ID: <388aba3.362d1d1e@aol.com> Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 19:30:38 EDT Subject: Re: (off) Re: TMBG: Bragging/brown hair dye trend In a message dated 98-10-20 04:00:44 EDT, you write: << i dunno, keep your eye out or something... also look for the new trend to be dying yer hair dark brown. i have a hunch. (well *i* just did it. ) >> Weird!!! One of my friends just dyed her hair dark brown last week. Maybe it's some kind of underground counter culture conspiracy proliferated by the hir dye companies who's inventory has been drastically made lopsided by the numerous blond dye bought over the last few years. or maybe it's just a coincidence... Graham ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@o.com Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 18:48:07 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: Bootlegs Message-ID: <19981020.184811.12830.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> On Tue, 20 Oct 1998 18:40:53 EDT TMBGibs@aol.com writes: >I have a new bootleg that im willing to: >a. Sell >b. Trade >c. Bargan (sp?) I typically would make this a private e-mail but i think everyone should here what i'm going to say... DON'T SELL BOOTLEGS!!!!! If you have any respect for the band you would know this... they don't make any money off of your sale and basically you're stealing from them. i'm taking this off of jason's page but i think he sums it up *very* well... "recordings are to be distributed freely among fans, in the hope of attracting a broader support for the musicians, and just giving that warm fuzzy feeling to those already hooked. There are some "Demo" or "Independent" tapes on this list. These are available for trade only with the understanding that these recordings are no longer available new, and the artists have no intention of releasing this material in the future. Have respect for others. Many of the artists whose recordings appear on this list have been kind enough to allow their performances to be taped and traded. Lets respect their wishes by spreading the music freely." based solely on that last paragraph... i would like to remind everyone that TMBG does not openly allow or encourage the recording of their shows... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Hatch Shell 98 Concert Message-ID: <19981020.211941.8063.4.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A Klein) Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 21:21:28 EDT Will whoever is (was?) making copies of the 98 Hatch Shell Concert please e-mail me? Thanks. Derek "What is everyone staring at?" ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <0q=HiUG00ayN0XQ1g0@andrew.cmu.edu> Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 21:40:48 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: 1-4-5 *again*! (4 of 2 chords) Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 20-Oct-98 TMBG: 1-4-5 *again*! by Lawrence P Solomon@andre doh, I was wrong. it should be this, instead: > |: Eb Ab / Bb Eb :| > At 4 of 2 I was staring into space > I had to move, there were things I had to do > Ab Gm / Bb > I wasn't really doing anything Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "You keep handing out horseshoes * This space inadvertently Horseshoes have gotta be tossed." -Moxy Fruvous * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ From: MDJSK@aol.com Message-ID: <3892e20.362d4b64@aol.com> Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 22:48:04 EDT Subject: TMBG: Harvey D and Flans <> dammit, flans, why can't you get a band on it's FIRST big hit? come on!! no, but seriously, i love all the "flans directed by" catalogue, and i love that harvey danger.... -jakeok ------------------------------ Message-ID: <362D85FD.4BA3@pop.uky.edu> Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 23:58:05 -0700 From: thesfc Subject: Re: NONTMBG: 4 of 2 lyrics (drifted off into HHGTTG...) Did Fenny really ever know the correct question though? I mean, if she did then the universe would be destroyed and replaced with something even more inexplicable. the sfc > Except, over the years these things have become part of us... the air we > breathe, the water we drink, the food we eat, the places we sleep. It has > to make the people part of it, or how could Fenny have finally come up with > the question? If people didn't blend in with the experiment she couldn't > have known the question. > > How's that for logic? > > Brother John Green Jello > VIVA LA 42! the sfc who also has the green copy... whoops! -- ***********************SIGMORPHER V1.0************************ *I walk along darkened corridors, and I walk along * *darkened corridors fingertips, tmbg * ***********************sfc software 97************************ ------------------------------ From: ErgoTM@aol.com Message-ID: <121b7bfc.362d64e8@aol.com> Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 00:36:56 EDT Subject: TMBG:Total Request We should still do the total request thing. How bout Monday? Call, and E- mail, anything you can. For Dr. Worm, they will have to premiere it then. Jeff "Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast" Craig ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #11-21 ******************************