Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #11-22 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 11, Number 22 Thursday, 22 October 1998 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG:Total Request TMBG: Bootlegging Re: TMBG: Bootlegging Re: TMBG: Bootlegging Re: TMBG: Bootleg TMBG: 4 of 2 and Douglas Adams TMBG: flansy's important! Re: TMBG: Selling out, Live In NY, and more Songs at my site.... Re: NONTMBG: 4 of 2 lyrics (drifted off into HHGTTG...) TMBG: There's a hole in the plot of The HHGTTG. Re: TMBG: 4 of 2 and Douglas Adams Re: TMBG: There's a hole in the plot of The HHGTTG. Re: TMBG: Selling out, Live In NY, and more Songs at my site.... Re: TMBG: Bootleg TMBG: Songs on bootleg TMBG: 4 of 2 Re: TMBG:Total Request Re: TMBG: Songs on bootleg Re: TMBG: Songs on bootleg TMBG: Hello List! there is a contest to be won! Re: TMBG: Songs on bootleg Re: TMBG: Songs on bootleg Re: TMBG: Hello List! there is a contest to be won! Re: TMBG: There's a hole in the plot of The HHGTTG. Re: TMBG: Songs on bootleg TMBG: New Contest Adress Kiddies ($5.12 will actually be paid) Re: TMBG: Songs on bootleg Re: TMBG: There's a hole in the plot of The HHGTTG. Re: TMBG: There's a hole in the plot of The HHGTTG. Re: TMBG: Songs on bootleg Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <001c01bdfccd$b2743f60$c3b3a4c1@squid> From: "Uncle Squid" Subject: Re: TMBG:Total Request Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 09:34:40 +0100 -----Original Message----- From: ErgoTM@aol.com To: tmbg-list@tmbg.com Date: 21 October 1998 05:40 Subject: TMBG:Total Request > We should still do the total request thing. How bout Monday? Call, and E- >mail, anything you can. For Dr. Worm, they will have to premiere it then. > >Jeff "Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast" Craig > WHAT A GUY! ----------------------- Uncle Squid xxx Hot from Hell and Hades for Gentlemen and Ladies xxx www.keme.co.uk/~thelimes/cols/ ICQ: 12605535 ----------------------- "I don't want kisses and I don't want hugs, I just want good old, sex and drugs" -- The Levellers, "Plastic Jeezus" ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199810211037.GAA07799@pop.snet.net> From: "dext182" Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 06:33:48 +0000 Subject: TMBG: Bootlegging hey- about the bootlegs... remember when the johns were on modern rock live???? they were asked if they thaught bootlegs were bad... they said something to the extent of- well, if they're going to bootleg it, they usually already have the albums and are a fan. they also went on to say that all the hidden planet of the apes tracks were from botleggs that they collected from fans. they ALSO went on to say that one of them even has some bob dylan bootlegs... so... judge from yourself the evidence... jen ------------------------------ From: Phil Jackson Message-Id: <199810211155.HAA29597@angels.heaven.net> Subject: Re: TMBG: Bootlegging Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 07:53:50 -0400 > about the bootlegs... remember when the johns were on modern rock > live???? they were asked if they thaught bootlegs were bad... they > said something to the extent of- > > well, if they're going to bootleg it, they usually already have the > albums and are a fan. > > they also went on to say that all the hidden planet of the apes > tracks were from botleggs that they collected from fans. > > they ALSO went on to say that one of them even has some bob dylan > bootlegs... so... > > judge from yourself the evidence... Yes Yes This is true, Flansy said all that...But Linnel also said in this same interview that they don't want to promote people /selling/ or even distributing bootlegs because it undercuts sales of their own.....remember 2 people 2 minds.....But I'll still bootleg to my hearts desire...but I'll never sell or buy a bootleg!!! haha ~Eric "Action" Jackson~ My Bootleg page and TMBG worship site Http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Underground/4117 [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 07:17:33 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: Bootlegging Message-ID: <19981021.071842.3918.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> >. they >said something to the extent of- yeahyeah, i've heard it a bazillion times... i asked Linnell in one of those online chat things and he gave pretty much the same answer... if you trade 'em with your friends it's okay they just don't like to see them losing money they could've gotten otherwise >well, if they're going to bootleg it, they usually already have the >albums and are a fan. yeah, not that you're getting their bootlegs instead of the albums (meaning they wouldn't get any money). >they ALSO went on to say that one of them even has some bob dylan >bootlegs... so... yeah, they have the boots and they enjoy them... i don't think they're sitting at home producing copies of 'em to sell to people... >judge from yourself the evidence... yes, judging myself i give myself a 10... uhm, no... seriously tho... i'm a huge promoter of TMBG bootlegs just not if they're gonna be sold. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html did i mention i like TMBG bootlegs? ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <362DDFE3.173081E3@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 08:21:39 -0500 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: TMBG: Bootleg TMBGibs@aol.com wrote: > > If any of you NY'ers live in Rochseter, I have good news. I have a new > bootleg that im willing to: > a. Sell > b. Trade > c. Bargan (sp?) B is the correct answer! Please don't sell (or bargan or bargain for that matter) any TMBG live shows you receive on tape. That jeopardizes the Johns means of production by removing potential sales (in the same way that mp3's of released CDs do). Someone who tapes the show without the band's or their managers knowledge has no right to distribute that tape for their own profit. None at all. It is fuzzy if you even have the right to trade it for no profit, but most people land on the "it is okay since no one is making money and lotsa people are enjoying it" side. If you have live shows that either you've mastered or that you've received in a trade, please only trade those for other shows or dub them for your friends for no money at all. Spread the music, don't spread the wealth when it isn't yours to spread. Sorry if I seem to be taking this too far, but as a tape trader, it hurts the tape trading community as a whole when people sell tapes because it hurts the band we love and it makes the band more anti-taping which wouldn't allow us so many chances to hear the magic of the TMBG live show. - Chad ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199810211628.LAA13379@utulsa.edu> From: "Kris Maxwell" Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 11:32:01 -0500 Subject: TMBG: 4 of 2 and Douglas Adams When i first heard 4 of 2, It reminded me of Douglas Adams as well.. but not for the 42 thing... the cycle of inactivity at about 2 pm sounds exactly to me like the phenonmenon of sunday afternoons... also known as The Long, Dark Teatime of the Soul - in which you cannot manage to make yourself get up and do anything and time just seems to slow down and stretch into infinity.... Now this may not have been intentional, but if they were to write a song about this phenonmenon that was given a name in the Hitchiker Guide (In So Long and thanks for all the fish, i think? maybe?), wouldnt 4 of 2 be a great veiled reference to their inspiration? Then again, it could all be coincidence... My 2 pesos, Kris ------------------------------ From: Jeremy Skrenes Subject: TMBG: flansy's important! Message-ID: Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 12:11:18 -0500 i just cast my vote for person of the century for mr. flansburgh. although his chances of beating jesus christ are slim, he is now well above the pope, and even above ghandi. if you haven't voted yet, let's try and get flansy above hitler. j * ----------------------------------------- Jeremy Skrenes Email: Jeremy.Skrenes@valpo.edu Valparaiso University ------------------------------ From: Jeremy Skrenes Subject: Re: TMBG: Selling out, Live In NY, and more Songs at my site.... Message-ID: Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 12:13:48 -0500 i don't know who started this selling out debate, but may i point out that one of the alleged reasons tmbg and elektra parted ways was because elektra wanted another particle man, and tmbg wanted to do their own thing? seems to me if they were sell outs, they'd still be with elektra figuring out how to write another particle man song. jeremy * ----------------------------------------- Jeremy Skrenes Email: Jeremy.Skrenes@valpo.edu Valparaiso University ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981021174015.10207.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: NONTMBG: 4 of 2 lyrics (drifted off into HHGTTG...) Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 10:40:14 PDT thesfc wrote: >Did Fenny really ever know the correct question though? IIRC, what Fenchurch came up with was God's Final Message To His Creation, not the Question. It does strike me as odd, however, that the alternate Earth in _Mostly Harmless_ apparently did not come up with the Question, even though it was not destroyed by the Vogons. -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: filthyscarecrow@webtv.net Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 15:06:46 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: There's a hole in the plot of The HHGTTG. Message-ID: <1432-362E3ED6-2525@mailtod-152.iap.bryant.webtv.net> Since the inhabitants of present day Earth are decended from the "useless people" from that one other planet, then Arthur Dent would be decended from them,too, right? Okay, so, if Arthur Dent isn't part of the original matrix of people that were supposed to live to discover The Question, then Marvin and the mice were wrong when they said The Question was in his brainwaves. And there's the hole in the plot. But wait, there's more. The question that Arthur recived from his makeshift scrabble game on primitive Earth must not be the real Question. If anyone understands any of this, please tell me. "Never since the WWF has anything been so rigged" -Flansy ------------------------------ From: ErgoTM@aol.com Message-ID: <64a3f0f9.362e504e@aol.com> Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 17:21:18 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: 4 of 2 and Douglas Adams I have never read HHGTTG. about an hour after hearing 4 of 2 I had a sudden urge to. I bought it and checked my mail to find the whole list talking about it. 4 of 2: crescent fresh song or subliminal message, you be the judge Jeff "The truth is out th-, wait no it's not" Craig ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 17:24:21 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: There's a hole in the plot of The HHGTTG. Message-ID: <19981021.172439.9934.0.gray42@juno.com> On Wed, 21 Oct 1998 15:06:46 -0500 (EST) filthyscarecrow@webtv.net writes: > Since the inhabitants of present day Earth are decended from the >"useless people" from that one other planet, then Arthur Dent would be >decended from them,too, right? Okay, so, if Arthur Dent isn't part of >the original matrix of people that were supposed to live to discover >The >Question, then Marvin and the mice were wrong when they said The >Question was in his brainwaves. And there's the hole in the plot. > But wait, there's more. The question that Arthur recived from his >makeshift scrabble game on primitive Earth must not be the real >Question. If anyone understands any of this, please tell me. > >"Never since the WWF has anything been so rigged" -Flansy Ok, from different peices of evidence in the story I have come up with this conclusion. The fact that Arthur supposedly had a question in his brainwave patterns, and the fact that the Golgafrinchams were on the Earth for a good 2,000,000 years, thus spawning Arthur Dent. Meaning that the question in Arthur's brain (what's 6 x 9?) was cocked up, but provided some clues to the real question, which is probably What's 6 x 7? Ah, but nobody likes that, so they come up with a question more asthetically pleasing. Thus, in our minds we will never know the question. On a side note, one thing that always bothered me about Mostly Harmless * -------------------------------------------------------------------WARNING, IF YOU HAVEN'T READ MOSTLY HARMLESS, BUT PLAN TO, DO NOT READ THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE * ------------------------------------------------------------------- was the fact that Arthur Ford, Trillian, Tricia, and Random all died at 42nd street. Something about this fact is appallingly creepy. Hell, the entire literature of Mostly Harmless is quite ghastly and horrific (doesn't mean I don't like it tho') but that's my HO. Mysterio Gal (who hopes there really will be a Hitchhiker's movie in the year 2000, TMBG will have ta do the soundtrack for it *phreeeow*) "Ugh ugh ugh grrrrrr ugh." --Caveman MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 15:20:47 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: Selling out, Live In NY, and more Songs at my site.... Message-ID: <19981021.153800.3542.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> >i don't know who started this selling out debate, but may i point out >that one of the alleged reasons tmbg and elektra parted ways was >because elektra wanted another particle man, and tmbg wanted to do >their own thing? they split from elektra because elektra wasn't promoting what they were doing anymore... if that was because they weren't making particle man's anymore then so be it... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: TMBGibs@aol.com Message-ID: <327d07ef.362e618f@aol.com> Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 18:34:55 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Bootleg Fine, ill trade with ANYONE who wants it. Me ------------------------------ From: TMBGibs@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 19:13:54 EDT Subject: TMBG: Songs on bootleg Here are all the songs on the tape: Dont lets start Introduction Aka Driver WDTSS? Statue "Put that man down..." Sleeping in the flowers "..new theme to the Bill Cosby show..." Ana Ng Out of Jail "...dosent really suck..." Band introduction No one knows my plan The guitar Particle Man ??? Friend (the song off of flood.) BHIYS side 2 Snail Shell "Thank You" Dig My Grave Istambol "Bye" (not live) Certian People Edison Musem restawhile onthedrag hoteldetective finishedwithlies 4of2 ------------------------------ From: TMBGibs@aol.com Message-ID: <732f81d4.362e7169@aol.com> Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 19:42:33 EDT Subject: TMBG: 4 of 2 The only correction (and i dont know if anyone else had found this, cause i usualy deleat the letters that are to boaring to read) i found was this: (its capitolized) When I'm late it makes me feel upset When I'm upset I might do something rash Like stare at the wall and grind my teeth Which is just what I did, SO I really had to leave And the clock said 4 of 2 Sorry it bother everyone about it. Me! ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG:Total Request Message-ID: <19981021.201951.8063.2.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A Klein) Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 20:21:28 EDT Anyone know the e-mail address? Derek "What is everyone staring at?" On Wed, 21 Oct 1998 00:36:56 EDT ErgoTM@aol.com writes: > We should still do the total request thing. How bout Monday? Call, >and E- >mail, anything you can. For Dr. Worm, they will have to premiere it >then. > >Jeff "Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast" Craig > ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <8ae742c3.362e7fbd@aol.com> Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 20:43:41 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Songs on bootleg In a message dated 10/21/98 7:19:25 PM, TMBGibs@aol.com writes: >Here are all the songs on the tape: > > >Dont lets start >Introduction >Aka Driver >WDTSS? >Statue >"Put that man down..." >Sleeping in the flowers >"..new theme to the Bill Cosby show..." >Ana Ng >Out of Jail >"...dosent really suck..." >Band introduction >No one knows my plan >The guitar >Particle Man >??? Friend (the song off of flood.) >BHIYS >side 2 > >Snail Shell >"Thank You" >Dig My Grave >Istambol >"Bye" ??? = racist ..and Istambol = Istanbul(do you not own flood?)... this show is the edited version of the 3/24/95 rochester show. (which means you recorded it off of wber)... it is a great concert, but please do not sell it. sarah ------------------------------ From: Batbrain99@aol.com Message-ID: <84ae3c36.362e8231@aol.com> Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 20:54:09 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Songs on bootleg << ??? = racist ..and Istambol = Istanbul(do you not own flood?)... >> Apparently, he doesn't! Why, you gonna hold that against him? You gonna think lower of him? You and your little communist cronies?! Whe'res the love? I'm sick of you people! Why did I ever join this cursed list!?!?!? ~Bat"Istambol"Brain * ------------------------------------------------------------------------ "You know what they say? They say he can't be killed! They say he drinks blood! They say--" "I say, you're full of shit Knox. Oh, uh..you can quote me on that." ~Batman ------------------------------ From: DrWormX@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 21:33:13 EDT Subject: TMBG: Hello List! there is a contest to be won! No I'm not back, so you can all stop cheering, but I do have an important announcement to make. I have created a contest about Pee-Wee Herman (with one question very TMBG related). Some of the questions are VERY EASY, and some are a bit tougher. The Grand Prize is *FIVE DOLLARS AND TWELVE CENTS IN CASH* All entries should be sent to me, via e-mail, and they must include snail mail adress. The winner will be the one that had the most correct answers (if there is a tie, a drawing will occur), as I see fit. The address of the contest is http://members.xoom.com/drwormx/PW.doc it is to be downloaded, but it takes about 6 seconds (if there is a problem E-mail me). And the drawing will occur on Friday, October 23, 1998 at roughly 4:30 pm, so get those entries in quick. Seeya former-fellow Listies! Matt --blame it on pez addiction DrWormX@tmbg.org People Should Get Beat Up For Stating Their Beliefs- Shoehorn With Teeth ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19981022014325.009cf71c@mail.utexas.edu> Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 20:43:25 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: Songs on bootleg >BHIYS What in the world is this an acronym for? >Istambol If I live to be one million years old, it will be due to my constant amazement at the incredible variety of ways that people have of misspelling the word "Istanbul". Harf, Mitch "The world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~mitcharf/index.html Support the Harf Project: http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~mitcharf/harfproj.html All your questions answered, all your problems solved: http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/mitch/ask820/ask820.html ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 19:48:36 -0600 (MDT) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Songs on bootleg Message-ID: On Wed, 21 Oct 1998, Mitchell Harding wrote: > >BHIYS > > What in the world is this an acronym for? birdhouse in your soul. ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ > >Istambol > > If I live to be one million years old, it will be due to my constant > amazement at the incredible variety of ways that people have of misspelling > the word "Istanbul". one million years old? gosh. i'd say that's old. --jim kuemmerle, but what do i know? j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <186777ba.362e939b@aol.com> Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 22:08:27 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Hello List! there is a contest to be won! In a message dated 10/21/98 9:37:18 PM, DrWormX@aol.com writes: >The address of the contest is >http://members.xoom.com/drwormx/PW.doc it is to be downloaded, hey! do you have something against mac tmbgers? hmph! sarah ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 21:18:43 -0500 (CDT) From: Jim Subject: Re: TMBG: There's a hole in the plot of The HHGTTG. Message-ID: On Wed, 21 Oct 1998 filthyscarecrow@webtv.net wrote: > Since the inhabitants of present day Earth are decended from the > "useless people" from that one other planet, then Arthur Dent would be > decended from them,too, right? Okay, so, if Arthur Dent isn't part of > the original matrix of people that were supposed to live to discover The > Question, then Marvin and the mice were wrong when they said The > Question was in his brainwaves. And there's the hole in the plot. > But wait, there's more. The question that Arthur recived from his > makeshift scrabble game on primitive Earth must not be the real > Question. If anyone understands any of this, please tell me. Gradually, the Golgafrinchans (those "useless people", natch) were integrated into the planet's matrix and actually took the place of the original humans. It says this somewhere in the book, but I don't remember where . . . but it's kind of like switching one bit of code in a program for another, both bits work just the same under the conditions, it's just a really irritating side effect that one of the bits is extremely and quite obviously stupid beyond all comprehension. Now, this may point to the fact that Arthur DOES have the correct question in his noggin', but that, in fact, is wrong. There are two indicators for this. First off, HE wasn't the one that came up with the question, it was . . . oh, blast. I haven't read the books in a while, so I'm forgetting some of the names. It was the woman that Arthur fell in love with in So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish. Anyway, the second indicator is that MARVIN KNOWS BOTH THE ANSWER AND THE QUESTION! Yep, way back in the first book, The Hitchhiker's Guide itself, Marvin said that he could see the question in Arthur's brainwaves, but they all get blown up before he can tell them what it is. Still, he knows the question inside Arthur's noggin', and he knows the answer is 42, but since the universe should have destroyed itself the second he knew what it was . . . the question in Arthur's head must be the wrong one, or that "knowing both the answer and the question or the universe will disappear and be replaced" thing doesn't count for androids. Um, yah. =] Jim is your plastic pal who's fun to be with! ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 21:25:20 -0500 (CDT) From: Jim Subject: Re: TMBG: Songs on bootleg Message-ID: On Wed, 21 Oct 1998 Batbrain99@aol.com wrote: > << ??? = racist ..and Istambol = Istanbul(do you not own flood?)... >> > > Apparently, he doesn't! Why, you gonna hold that against him? You gonna think > lower of him? You and your little communist cronies?! Whe'res the love? I'm > sick of you people! Why did I ever join this cursed list!?!?!? GIRL POWER! Jim ------------------------------ From: DrWormX@aol.com Message-ID: <263ea375.362e9937@aol.com> Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 22:32:23 EDT Subject: TMBG: New Contest Adress Kiddies ($5.12 will actually be paid) new adress (I actually made a really fast page of it): http://members.xoom.com/drwormx/pw.htm ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 20:59:26 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: Songs on bootleg Message-ID: <19981021.210310.3838.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> >this show is the edited version of the 3/24/95 rochester show. (which >means >you recorded it off of wber)... another thing is that a full length version of the show does exist... it sometimes gets labeled as "3/25/95" sometimes as "3/42/95" the venue is also labeled as "water street music hall" or "the horizontal boogie bar" the bootleg's been around for quite a long time... there are several ways to get a hold of it. I think that the original poster stated that they wouldn't sell if but i still ask that no one purchase this or -any- TMBG bootlegs as it just screws the band (and will eventually screw other traders). :) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <362ECEA5.1822@pop.uky.edu> Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 23:20:21 -0700 From: thesfc Subject: Re: TMBG: There's a hole in the plot of The HHGTTG. Bloody hell. I was going to make that point. I think I did before actually... well, anyway... |MOSTLY HARMLESSS SPOILER| oh, somebody asked why the version of Earth at the end of Mostly Harmless didn't come up with the answer b/c it wasn't destroyed by the Vogons. It WAS destroyed by the vogons. That's what happens on the last page. I'm pretty sure what happened was that Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz (or whatever) got ahold of the M2 Guide (or whatever) and found out that their were an infinite number of earth's in different dimensions. His job was to clear them all, and so he uses the Guide to do that. The final scene is the destruction of that particular version of the Guide. Oh, BTW. Jeltz messed up. He managed to get all of the Earthlings (he had to kill all of them too) on the Earth in all the dimensions when he killed them (the random events that got them there were caused by the Guide), BUT he forgot ELVIS!! Elvis was on some other planet. Unless Elvis was an alien to begin with.... the sfc > On Wed, 21 Oct 1998 filthyscarecrow@webtv.net wrote: > > > Since the inhabitants of present day Earth are decended from the > > "useless people" from that one other planet, then Arthur Dent would be > > decended from them,too, right? Okay, so, if Arthur Dent isn't part of > > the original matrix of people that were supposed to live to discover The > > Question, then Marvin and the mice were wrong when they said The > > Question was in his brainwaves. And there's the hole in the plot. > > But wait, there's more. The question that Arthur recived from his > > makeshift scrabble game on primitive Earth must not be the real > > Question. If anyone understands any of this, please tell me. > > Gradually, the Golgafrinchans (those "useless people", natch) were > integrated into the planet's matrix and actually took the place of the > original humans. It says this somewhere in the book, but I don't remember > where . . . but it's kind of like switching one bit of code in a program > for another, both bits work just the same under the conditions, it's just > a really irritating side effect that one of the bits is extremely and > quite obviously stupid beyond all comprehension. > Now, this may point to the fact that Arthur DOES have the correct > question in his noggin', but that, in fact, is wrong. There are two > indicators for this. First off, HE wasn't the one that came up with the > question, it was . . . oh, blast. I haven't read the books in a while, so > I'm forgetting some of the names. It was the woman that Arthur fell in > love with in So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish. Anyway, the second > indicator is that MARVIN KNOWS BOTH THE ANSWER AND THE QUESTION! Yep, way > back in the first book, The Hitchhiker's Guide itself, Marvin said that he > could see the question in Arthur's brainwaves, but they all get blown up > before he can tell them what it is. Still, he knows the question inside > Arthur's noggin', and he knows the answer is 42, but since the universe > should have destroyed itself the second he knew what it was . . . the > question in Arthur's head must be the wrong one, or that "knowing both the > answer and the question or the universe will disappear and be replaced" > thing doesn't count for androids. > Um, yah. =] > > Jim is your plastic pal who's fun to be with! > -- ***********************SIGMORPHER V1.0************************ *"it's not a case of aiming to please \ You know you're * *always crying \ It's just your part \ * *In the play for today" the cure * ***********************sfc software 97************************ ------------------------------ From: ErgoTM@aol.com Message-ID: <415cc22d.362ea18b@aol.com> Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 23:07:55 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: There's a hole in the plot of The HHGTTG. I just read HHGTTG today and I don't remember Marvin saying he could see the question in Arthurs brainwaves ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <2e865d97.362eb4d2@aol.com> Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 00:30:10 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Songs on bootleg >another thing is that a full length version of the show does exist... >it >sometimes gets labeled as "3/25/95" sometimes as "3/42/95" > the venue is also labeled as "water street music hall" or "the >horizontal boogie bar" > i don't know how the date problem got started, but i can explain the other one, t'is easy... this venue changes almost every other year... TMBG played that particular show while it was called the horizonal boogie bar.. and now it's the water street music hall (and they've played there with *that* name at least twice). la la. sarah ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #11-22 ******************************