Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #11-23 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 11, Number 23 Friday, 23 October 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: vote Re: TMBG: vote Re: TMBG: There's a hole in the plot of The HHGTTG. Re: TMBG: There's a hole in the plot of The HHGTTG. TMBG: Dennis Jolin TMBG: Bootleg TMBG: Boot talk TMBG: more misheard lyrics Re: TMBG: Bootleg Re: NON TMBG: There's a hole in the plot of The HHGTTG. Re: TMBG: Bootleg Re: TMBG: Songs on bootleg Re: TMBG: Bootleg Re: TMBG: Bootleg NON-TMBG: HHGTTG stuff (SPOILERS for _Mostly Harmless_) TMBG: Certain People I could Name TMBG: Working undercover for the man Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: PhoneCat@aol.com Message-ID: <3483d60b.362ee827@aol.com> Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 04:09:11 EDT Subject: TMBG: vote everyone take a few moments and vote for John Flansburgh... ok? he is awesome. Person of the Century Poll ------------------------------ From: PhoneCat@aol.com Message-ID: <73310ad3.362ee89c@aol.com> Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 04:11:08 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: vote http://cgi.pathfinder.com/time/time100/poc/century.html Person of the Century Poll VOTE! :) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 06:23:41 -0500 (CDT) From: Jim Subject: Re: TMBG: There's a hole in the plot of The HHGTTG. Message-ID: On Wed, 21 Oct 1998, thesfc wrote: > BUT he forgot ELVIS!! Elvis was on some other planet. Unless Elvis was > an alien to begin with.... Ford treated him with far too much respect for him to have originally been human, neh? Besides . . . he wasn't Elvis . . . he was The King! =] Jim ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 06:30:12 -0500 (CDT) From: Jim Subject: Re: TMBG: There's a hole in the plot of The HHGTTG. Message-ID: On Wed, 21 Oct 1998 ErgoTM@aol.com wrote: > I just read HHGTTG today and I don't remember Marvin saying he could see the > question in Arthurs brainwaves Quite right . . . I was wrong. After a fashion. It's still true that Marvin could see the question, but it was in The Restaraunt at the End of the Universe in which he said it, not the Guide. Well, I DID say that I hadn't read them all in a while, so I was sure to make at least one or two minor mistakes. Anyway, Marvin tells them all this, and then they . . . well, that'd be spoiling a really suspensful part, really, but let's just say that afterwards, Marvin's confirming the mice's suspicions that the question was in Arthur's brain is what prompts Arthur and Ford to try and figure it out using randomly drawn Scrabble pieces at the end of the second book. Anyway, speaking of the books, I forgot to complain about this earlier . . . Adams shouldn't name his book whatever it was said he was going to name it! I don't remember that phrase being in the first book, and up to Mostly Harmless, all of the book titles were phrases from the first book! The sixth book, I think, should be named Don't Panic! . . . in large, friendly letters on the cover, of course. =] Jim ------------------------------ From: Phil Jackson Message-Id: <199810221533.LAA01344@angels.heaven.net> Subject: TMBG: Dennis Jolin Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 11:31:44 -0400 Is there a dennis jolin out there....please contact me!!! ~Eric "Action" Jackson~ My Bootleg page and TMBG worship site Http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Underground/4117 [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: TMBGibs@s.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 14:34:59 EDT Subject: TMBG: Bootleg REMINDER: IM NOT SELLING THE TAPE, ONLY TRADING!!!!!! Me! ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 15:15:50 EDT Subject: TMBG: Boot talk Hello 41- <> See, they have this backwards, at least for me. I collect and have a lot of TMBG bootlegs. I don't sell them because they say not to, and I can respect that. But the premise isn't correct, at least for me. I would sell TMBG bootlegs in order to get money to buy more TMBG stuff. See, it works. I'd buy more from selling bootlegs. I don't know, however, if I'd make up for the other person in sales. This would be a hard thing to measure, and I don't think anybody would go along with my view, because it's probably wrong. Adam ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 20:04:53 +0000 Subject: TMBG: more misheard lyrics The misheard lyric I've never been able to sort out is the opening line to the UB40 single from their first (and best?) album Signing Off. As I sit here in the office I can't even remember the title of the track but you will know it if you have ever heard it. Anyone able to help? Richard who can't even wait to dig out the album at home tonight before posting ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 14:57:21 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: Bootleg Message-ID: <19981022.151037.5014.3.TMBgirl@juno.com> On Thu, 22 Oct 1998 14:34:59 EDT TMBGibs@aol.com writes: >REMINDER: >IM NOT SELLING THE TAPE, ONLY TRADING!!!!!! >Me! okay okay! i've had enough of this bootleg talk. Many people trade TMBG bootlegs, i'm glad to see a new face in the trading-circle... but if we all announce a bootleg every time we add one to our collections the list would be a *very* uninteresting place... this isn't my site but i would like to promote it... http://w3.one.net/~dmhaas/tmbgboots.html/ there's a handy little message board where you can post the great news that you finally got a bootleg or whatever... seriously tho... i just don't think this stuff belongs on the list (maybe i'm wrong... i just member the days when people would post their entire collections to the list... highly annoying). take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 17:48:45 -0400 Subject: Re: NON TMBG: There's a hole in the plot of The HHGTTG. Message-ID: <19981022.175250.12038.2.gray42@juno.com> On Wed, 21 Oct 1998 23:20:21 -0700 thesfc writes: >Bloody hell. I was going to make that point. I think I did before >actually... well, anyway... >|MOSTLY HARMLESSS SPOILER| > oh, somebody asked why the version of Earth at the end of Mostly >Harmless didn't come up with the answer b/c it wasn't destroyed by the >Vogons. It WAS destroyed by the vogons. uh wait, that particular Earth was in fact desroyed by the amnesiatic aliens on the new 10th planet. Which was do to Tricia telling the public too much, which was do to Random's sudden appearence on parallell Earth, which was due to the m2 guide, which the Vogons are in charge of, because Hitchhiker's guide sold out. Hehe, I love chains of events. That's what happens on the >last page. I'm pretty sure what happened was that Prostetnic Vogon >Jeltz (or whatever) got ahold of the M2 Guide (or whatever) and found >out that their were an infinite number of earth's in different >dimensions. His job was to clear them all, and so he uses the Guide >to >do that. The final scene is the destruction of that particular >version >of the Guide. Oh, BTW. Jeltz messed up. He managed to get all of >the >Earthlings (he had to kill all of them too) on the Earth in all the >dimensions when he killed them (the random events that got them there >were caused by the Guide), BUT he forgot ELVIS!! Elvis was on some >other planet. Unless Elvis was an alien to begin with.... Egad & Damn, I never thought of that (good work) Mysterio Gal (Hotel Detective) "Ugh ugh ugh grrrrrr ugh." --Caveman MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 >the sfc > >> On Wed, 21 Oct 1998 filthyscarecrow@webtv.net wrote: >> >> > Since the inhabitants of present day Earth are decended from the >> > "useless people" from that one other planet, then Arthur Dent >would be >> > decended from them,too, right? Okay, so, if Arthur Dent isn't part >of >> > the original matrix of people that were supposed to live to >discover The >> > Question, then Marvin and the mice were wrong when they said The >> > Question was in his brainwaves. And there's the hole in the plot. >> > But wait, there's more. The question that Arthur recived from >his >> > makeshift scrabble game on primitive Earth must not be the real >> > Question. If anyone understands any of this, please tell me. >> >> Gradually, the Golgafrinchans (those "useless people", >natch) were >> integrated into the planet's matrix and actually took the place of >the >> original humans. It says this somewhere in the book, but I don't >remember >> where . . . but it's kind of like switching one bit of code in a >program >> for another, both bits work just the same under the conditions, it's >just >> a really irritating side effect that one of the bits is extremely >and >> quite obviously stupid beyond all comprehension. >> Now, this may point to the fact that Arthur DOES have the >correct >> question in his noggin', but that, in fact, is wrong. There are two >> indicators for this. First off, HE wasn't the one that came up with >the >> question, it was . . . oh, blast. I haven't read the books in a >while, so >> I'm forgetting some of the names. It was the woman that Arthur fell >in >> love with in So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish. Anyway, the >second >> indicator is that MARVIN KNOWS BOTH THE ANSWER AND THE QUESTION! >Yep, way >> back in the first book, The Hitchhiker's Guide itself, Marvin said >that he >> could see the question in Arthur's brainwaves, but they all get >blown up >> before he can tell them what it is. Still, he knows the question >inside >> Arthur's noggin', and he knows the answer is 42, but since the >universe >> should have destroyed itself the second he knew what it was . . . >the >> question in Arthur's head must be the wrong one, or that "knowing >both the >> answer and the question or the universe will disappear and be >replaced" >> thing doesn't count for androids. >> Um, yah. =] >> >> Jim is your plastic pal who's fun to be with! >> > >-- >***********************SIGMORPHER V1.0************************ >*"it's not a case of aiming to please \ You know you're * >*always crying \ It's just your part \ * >*In the play for today" the cure * >***********************sfc software 97************************ > ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: CPatubo@mindscape.com Message-ID: <882566A5.007E9356.00@nvtomta.mindscape.com> Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 16:02:43 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: Bootleg So what about those of us who have no bootlegs but want them? Are we left in the dark? Do any of you want to bestow pity upon those of us who don't have bootlegs? Alas, we cannot trade, and won't buy... waaaa -courtney ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981022233431.2937.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Songs on bootleg Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 16:34:31 PDT Mitch wrote: >>Istambol > >If I live to be one million years old, it will be due to my constant >amazement at the incredible variety of ways that people have of >misspelling >the word "Istanbul". I know! On a map of the early Roman Empire, I saw it spelled "Byzantium." Now, THERE'S an odd spelling! (That was a joke, by the way.) Nathan ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Bootleg Message-ID: <19981022.194217.23615.0.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A Klein) Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 19:43:58 EDT A lot of people will do 2:1 trades. Send two blank tapes and get a bootleg in return. Derek "What is everyone staring at?" >So what about those of us who have no bootlegs but want them? Are we left >in the dark? Do any of you want to bestow pity upon those of us who don't >have bootlegs? Alas, we cannot trade, and won't buy... ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 17:43:31 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: Bootleg Message-ID: <19981022.174337.3582.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> >So what about those of us who have no bootlegs but want them? Are we >left >in the dark? Do any of you want to bestow pity upon those of us who >don't >have bootlegs? Alas, we cannot trade, and won't buy... That's when you search for someone that will do a blanks and postage or a 2:1 (2 blanks per bootleg) type deal (and no, we reeeeally don't need to go over the "which is better" thread). Most people get started this way and well... it's generally a simple and quick way to get your collections going. There are tricks to it but basically it's easiest if you find two people with similar collections that are fairly large and complete... say for example TDK and myself (sorry mike to use you as an example!). First you would go to my list and find shows that aren't in TDK's collection. Request these shows from me. Then when you get 'em you trade with TDK for shows that aren't on my list... then you can trade those shows with me. Yeah there is the whole generational lag but with TMBG bootlegs it reeeally doesn't make a difference, they're all pretty bad. Take that comment for what's it's worth (to me, with a collection of 200 some odd TMBG boots... it's not worth a lot). take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html I GOT 9/16/98 DENVER, CO... MICHAEL SHELLEY (complete with the song dedication to me) AND TMBG! YAY! :) ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981022234735.9952.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: NON-TMBG: HHGTTG stuff (SPOILERS for _Mostly Harmless_) Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 16:47:35 PDT Claire Gray wrote: >On a side note, one thing that always bothered me about >Mostly >Harmless >-------------------------------------------------------------------WA>RNING, >IF YOU HAVEN'T READ MOSTLY HARMLESS, BUT PLAN TO, DO NOT READ THE >FOLLOWING MESSAGE >------------------------------------------------------------------- >was the fact that Arthur Ford, Trillian, Tricia, and Random all died >at >42nd street. Actually, it was at Number Forty-Two, not on Forty-Second Street (unless it was at Forty-Two Forty-Second Street). thesfc wrote: >|MOSTLY HARMLESSS SPOILER| > oh, somebody asked why the version of Earth at the end of Mostly >Harmless didn't come up with the answer b/c it wasn't destroyed by >the >Vogons. It WAS destroyed by the vogons. That's what happens on the >last page. I'm pretty sure what happened was that Prostetnic Vogon >Jeltz (or whatever) got ahold of the M2 Guide (or whatever) and found >out that their were an infinite number of earth's in different >dimensions. His job was to clear them all, and so he uses the Guide >to >do that. The final scene is the destruction of that particular >version >of the Guide. Yes, yes, that's all true. This destruction did not take place until a few years after the destruction of the Earth in the original book, though. In the first book, Slartibartfast (I think) informs Arthur that the Earth was destroyed only a short time (about ten minutes, I believe) before it would come up with the Question. The Earth in _MH_ had a few more years to work on the Question, but it apparently hadn't figured it out yet. The simplest explanation for this is that Slartibartfast underestimated the amount of time that it would take for the planet to come up with the Question. (Perhaps the interference of the Golgafrinchans had something to do with the delay.) Nathan ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: <4e056599.362fefa6@aol.com> Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 22:53:26 EDT Subject: TMBG: Certain People I could Name Maybe some one can help me. Does anyone have the chords for Certain People I Could Name? I'm too busy to sit down and figure them out, but I do have time to learn to play it =) -Amber the Alterian ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 21:05:26 -0600 Subject: TMBG: Working undercover for the man Message-ID: <19981022.210529.3566.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> Hey HEY! so anyways, my day has been sooo extremely long and I'm driving home from my third practice of the day totally exhausted and begining to get a lil upset cuz i'm stuck in traffic from hell... The radio sucks so i'm looking through my tapes (yeahyeah, my car sucks) and debating on what to listen to when i pop one of my TMBG tapes in... pretty soon I'm groovin along "i've been working hard, practicing to sing and play guitar, growing out my hair and working on my stare... tra la la la la..." I dunno, the power of giants was totally amazing... :) I didn't really groove to that song (Working undercover for the man) the first few times i heard it either... i'm pretty psyched, it's totally rockin! I'm hoping they'll throw it up at das.com next i'd love to hear a semi-studio version of it :P take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html what time is it? ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #11-23 ******************************