Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #11-6 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 11, Number 6 Tuesday, 6 October 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: TMBG : Good news and bad news from the UK Re: TMBG: well, this is shitty (my response) -Reply TMBG: Cleveland on Wednesday TMBG: anyone got this? Re: TMBG: TMBG : Good news and bad news from the UK TMBG: Toronto TMBG: band arrangements Re: TMBG: Toronto Re: TMBG: Toronto Re: TMBG: Toronto Re: TMBG: band arrangements TMBG: What do you think??? TMBG: Hate Page Re: TMBG: band arrangements TMBG: my webby page Re: TMBG: Toronto TMBG: 17 more songs added!!!... TMBG: finished with lies Re: TMBG: finished with lies Re: TMBG: finished with lies TMBG: about those songs... Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 11:45:31 +0000 Subject: TMBG: TMBG : Good news and bad news from the UK First the goods news:- STD is now available direct in the UK. It is being distributed by Cooking Vinyl - reference CD156 - and is available by mail order. It costs #15.90 (#15.00 plus #0.90 p&p) from: COOKING VINYL FREEPOST LON 3320 LONDON W3 OBR phone 0181 600 9200 (mail order dept) to confirm these details They told me that there are also plans to release Dr Worm as a single. Now the bad news:- I found all this from a revew of STD in Q magazine (a normally rather good monthly music magazine) . They slated the album and gave in a one star rating meaning 'poor - best avoided'. I won't depress you all by posting the review but if you do want to see it drop me an Emial and I will forward it to you. At least they didn'y use the word 'quirky' in the review. Richard ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 16:43:00 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: well, this is shitty (my response) -Reply Well it isn't exactly an article, rather an album review but the Q magazine review of STD certainly slams them in no uncertain terms. As I said in the original EMail if you want to see it please email me. Or shall I just post it to the list and see what you all think? Don't mind. Views? Richard >>> "lps+@andrew.cmu.edu" 2/October/1998 07:39pm >>> Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 2-Oct-98 Re: TMBG: well, this is shi.. by KdsInThHal@aol.com > hey uh... well, i think that's one of the most decent TMBG articles i've read > in a while. sure there were some flaws, but it's a lot better than the ones > that slam 'em.. I haven't really seen any articles that slam them... except maybe the few around the time of Factory Showroom's release that said they were past their prime (then again, I was beginning to think that, too, until I heard all of Linnell's songs on the album). Most articles either relegate them to quirky novelty band status, or like them for reasons that don't exist. (like "They're a great band because they write cool parodies," which I've seen said before) Why can't reviewers accept the fact that these guys are trying to make music, and write whatever comes to mind, rather than try to be weird or unusual? Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Everything sticks until it goes away, * This space inadvertently And the truth is we don't know anything." -TMBG * left blank. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19981005125858.0090a770@EMail.Psu.Edu> Date: Mon, 05 Oct 1998 12:58:58 -0400 From: Jason Fickley Subject: TMBG: Cleveland on Wednesday Once again, is anyone interested in meeting at the Odeon in Cleveland at a given time for the show? I'll be there early to get my ticket at the window it's being held at. Also, anyone interested in meeting at Metropol in Pittsburgh the next day drop me a line. --Jason-- "We obviously appeal to lots of shut-ins." - John Linnell ------------------------------ From: Phil Jackson Message-Id: <199810051719.NAA13839@angels.heaven.net> Subject: TMBG: anyone got this? Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 13:18:20 -0400 Hey TMBG listers hows it goin? I was just wondering if anyone out there has this tmbg show on tape(video or audio) 10/24/97 Poughkeepsie, NY at the Chance? I was supposed to get it in the mail from someone else but they're obviously not in the mood to follow through with the deals they're making now. Just in case you're wondering the reason I'm putting such effort forth to get this show was because i was at that show, it would be really nice to be able to relive it again and again. so if anyone out there can help me out i would greatly appreciate it. and for those of you who have almost all The TMBG boots there is to have, i think i've got a couple rarities you might not have. well thanks for your time. ~Eric "Action" Jackson~ [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG : Good news and bad news from the UK Message-ID: <19981005.144225.8063.1.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A Klein) Date: Mon, 05 Oct 1998 14:43:50 EDT >They told me that there are also plans to release Dr Worm as a single. How odd. Last I heard, They weren't making a a single. Derek "Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age" ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 17:00:23 EDT Subject: TMBG: Toronto I'm going to the Toronto show tomorrow, but I'm not from Canada..its going to be a 3 hour drive each way and I'm not allowed to miss any school, but its worth it. Anyways, I need an opinion. Do you think I'll need to exchange my money to Canadian money for buying things at the concert? Or do you think that they will except my American money and not scew me royally on the exchange rate? I don't get much money so I don't like to foolishly get rid of it. "Your train is gone, won't be comming back."-TMBG -Amber the Alterian ------------------------------ From: Tmbg4life@aol.com Message-ID: <183906eb.36193d87@aol.com> Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 17:43:35 EDT Subject: TMBG: band arrangements hello. does any one know where i can get some TMBG songs in band arrangements or trombone parts for TMBG songs. ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 18:54:08 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Toronto Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 5-Oct-98 TMBG: Toronto by Alterian@aol.com > I'm going to the Toronto show tomorrow, but I'm not from Canada..its going to > be a 3 hour drive each way and I'm not allowed to miss any school, but its > worth it. Anyways, I need an opinion. Do you think I'll need to exchange my > money to Canadian money for buying things at the concert? Or do you think that my question is - if you aren't from Canada, but live 3 hours from Toronto, how can you be *more* than 3 hours from Cleveland, Ann Arbor, Chicago, and/or Pittsburgh? Join the fun at Cleveland and Pittsburgh on Wednesday and Thursday! :) > they will except my American money and not scew me royally on the exchange > rate? I don't get much money so I don't like to foolishly get rid of it. They will probably accept both American and Canadian money, unless the sales are being run by whatever venue it's at, in which case it'd be Canadian only. Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Everything sticks until it goes away, * This space inadvertently And the truth is we don't know anything." -TMBG * left blank. ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <4ee4ff42.36195575@aol.com> Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 19:25:41 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Toronto > Anyways, I need an opinion. Do you think I'll need to exchange my >money to Canadian money for buying things at the concert? Or do you think >that >they will except my American money and not scew me royally on the exchange >rate? I don't get much money so I don't like to foolishly get rid of it. they should take it. tmbg are american! why would they want loonies? ;) moxy fruvous even takes american $ at concerts in their homeland, don't worry about it. ~sarah ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <2f1d3dae.361955bd@aol.com> Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 19:26:53 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Toronto >my question is - if you aren't from Canada, but live 3 hours from >Toronto, how can you be *more* than 3 hours from Cleveland, Ann Arbor, >Chicago, and/or Pittsburgh? i'm about 3 hours from toronto, and i love in rochester ny..... that's on the other side. ;) ~sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981005235645.20686.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Michael Fink" Subject: Re: TMBG: band arrangements Date: Mon, 05 Oct 1998 16:56:43 PDT >hello. does any one know where i can get some TMBG songs in band arrangements >or trombone parts for TMBG songs. > you play trombone?!?! cool! i also play trombone, and feel that i am somewhat decent at it. my school's music department sucks, so i've played it less lately. it gives me time to practice my accordion! what my friends and i do is get the MIDIs off of tmbg.org and tear them apart with encore or a similar program, and use that as a basis to play in our band. birdhouse works eally well. God bless all you musically gifted people who make the midis!!!! mike "midi man" fink *'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'* Boycott Microsoft http://www.vcnet.com/bms *'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'* ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: TMBGibs@aol.com Message-ID: <4ee548b4.36195e54@aol.com> Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 20:03:32 EDT Subject: TMBG: What do you think??? I was wondering, what do you all think, when you pop TMBG into you player thingy, an song means when you hear it? Write in and do tell, i would really like to know! ------------------------------ From: TMBGibs@aol.com Message-ID: <21fedecb.36196555@aol.com> Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 20:33:25 EDT Subject: TMBG: Hate Page I have been to practicly EVERY tmbg site here on the web, and i havent found ONE hate page. I love TMBG (and every thing they stand for), but I know theres gotta be ONE page out there. If you find one, please, PLEASE tell me. Thanks ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36194806.2E8A@bgnet.bgsu.edu> Date: Mon, 05 Oct 1998 22:28:21 +0000 From: "K.C." Subject: Re: TMBG: band arrangements I also play trombone (amongst other things) and have been looking for arrangements so I don't have to make them myself. -- K.C. Kless "...I am a snake head eating the head on the opposite side..." DocWorm@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: Phil Jackson Message-Id: <199810060220.WAA08191@angels.heaven.net> Subject: TMBG: my webby page Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 22:19:26 -0400 hey everyone I'd just like to take this opportunity to promote my web page around here...please feel free to stop by and check out everything, and sign the guestbook if you please...right now it's mostly bootlegs but it will soon have much more on it. http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Underground/4117 ~Eric "Action" Jackson~ [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 23:44:10 -0400 (EDT) From: "mike@journalx.com" Subject: Re: TMBG: Toronto Message-ID: On Mon, 5 Oct 1998 Alterian@aol.com wrote: > I'm going to the Toronto show tomorrow, but I'm not from Canada..its going to > be a 3 hour drive each way and I'm not allowed to miss any school, but its > worth it. Anyways, I need an opinion. Do you think I'll need to exchange my > money to Canadian money for buying things at the concert? Or do you think that > they will except my American money and not scew me royally on the exchange > rate? I don't get much money so I don't like to foolishly get rid of it. You probably won't need to exchange your money. Remember, American dough is worth a lot here in Canada right now since our dollar is falling, so the last thing an American gets when coming here with US dollars is screwed. It's actually the other way around. I'm sure the TMBG camp, as good as Toronto has been to them, loathe having to accept our worthless money. But I'm gonna make it up to them by buying a lot of their merchandise, which I hope will include 12 inches and EPs. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the show which, judging by all the other Toronto shows I've seen, ought to be spectacular. MIKe www.journalx.com ------------------------------ From: "AugieWan" Subject: TMBG: 17 more songs added!!!... Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 00:50:57 -0400 Message-ID: <000701bdf0e4$e8112790$1a04acd1@cheesehead> Hello again, I'm still trying to figure out why some of you can't hear some of the songs up at my site. They have all been downloaded and played by various people on the list, so I know the files themselves are ok. But for those who have not been having problems, I have added 17 more songs. I had requests for IPI and Guitar singles, more John Linnell, and more Doctor Spock's Back-Up Band. I uploaded some of these and others. Have fun, AugieWan ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199810060516.NAA23815@vector.wantree.com.au> From: "Carla Stagles" Subject: TMBG: finished with lies Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 13:08:38 +0800 just popped over to TMBG.com by GOUGH! that finished with lies song is very great indeed! what is it's history? will it be on the next album? where can i get it on cd? it is tre EXCellent! love carla ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19981006012028.007b42e0@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Tue, 06 Oct 1998 01:20:28 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: finished with lies The 'word' is that it'll be on the next album. I agree that it's a fantastic song (and one of the newer ones, too, which is also a good sign). If you can wait another year (possibly a bit less?), you'll be able to get it on CD. ;-) -Adam At 01:08 PM 10/6/98 +0800, Carla Stagles wrote: >just popped over to TMBG.com > >by GOUGH! that finished with lies song is very great indeed! >what is it's history? >will it be on the next album? >where can i get it on cd? -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199810060530.NAA28585@vector.wantree.com.au> From: "Carla Stagles" Subject: Re: TMBG: finished with lies Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 13:22:55 +0800 > The 'word' is that it'll be on the next album. I agree that it's a > fantastic song (and one of the newer ones, too, which is also a good sign). > > If you can wait another year (possibly a bit less?), you'll be able to get > it on CD. ;-) ahhh, a good sign, i concur. a year is a long time... but for They Might Be Giants... i'll wait forever... but you can bet i'll start getting a bit pissed off after about a millennium. thanks Adam :) carla "everyone will love me starting now" ------------------------------ From: "AugieWan" Subject: TMBG: about those songs... Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 01:33:31 -0400 Message-ID: <000901bdf0ea$dab60f60$1a04acd1@cheesehead> Ooops! I keep forgetting to post the address to get the songs... http://www.thespeakeasy.com/augiewan ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #11-6 *****************************