Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #11-8 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 11, Number 8 Thursday, 8 October 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: Severe Vulgarity Re: TMBG: Toronto Re: TMBG: TMBG : Good news and bad news from the UK Re: TMBG: TMBG : Good news and bad news from the UK -Reply TMBG: Severe Vulgarity Re: TMBG: TMBG : Good news and bad news from the UK -Reply Re: TMBG: well, this is shitty (my response) -Reply -Reply Re: TMBG: well, this is shitty (my response) -Reply -Reply TMBG: Tony Millionaire-- URL for Maakies comic strip Re: TMBG: Severe Vulgarity TMBG: tour dates... TMBG: Dr. Worm Single Re: TMBG: Severe Vulgarity Re: Non-TMBG: Who Here is Uptight? TMBG: Toronto show and my Bunny Re: TMBG: Severe Vulgarity TMBG: FW: Fwd: FUN!!! NO really its fun! Re: TMBG: well, this is shitty (my response) -Reply -Reply TMBG: Swedish Ascendancy? TMBG: Disruptions TMBG: The Toronto Report TMBG: Headache directed by Adam Bernstein TMBG: more maakies, in colour-- Re: TMBG: Who Here is Uptight? Re: TMBG: Who Here is Uptight? TMBG: MP3: Girls Can't Do What The Guys Do TMBG: Interview before Austin show TMBG: Live state songs on TDK's TMBG sound page! Re: TMBG: Who Here is Uptight? TMBG: TMBG on TV Re: TMBG: Flansie and Frank Black Re: TMBG: Swedish Ascendancy? Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Gweeg@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 03:29:43 EDT Subject: TMBG: Severe Vulgarity Has anyone else noticed John and John using the word "fuck" a lot more in recent concerts? I've seen them six times and only at the last show have they said any curse word at all (besides ass and god damn). Are they trying to change their image to look less geeky and become more popular? They seem eager for people to rediscover tmbg with this dr worm campaign and everything. It almost seems like they really really want to be a popular mainstream band. Personally speaking i'd hate tmbg to become a commonly played radio friendly band. There is nothing i love more when a Back Street Boys fan hears me playing TMBG in my car and says : "God that is WEIRD!" And in answer to my own question i think we all have a bit of "computer monkey" in us if we are on the net and on a tmbg mailing list. I'll admit to that. Right or left brained i think many of us will freely admit to being a geek. I know i do. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 03:39:49 -0500 (CDT) From: bill tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: Toronto Message-ID: On Mon, 5 Oct 1998 KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: > i'm about 3 hours from toronto, and i love in rochester ny..... that's on the > other side. ;) Wow....Sarah's giving us a little more information than I think any of us need. You LOVE in Rochester (aka "Rachacha")? Just kidding Sarah...and I love the new splash page on your website.... Oh, and I apologize if my server sent you guys weird messages in the past few days...the server went down, and I'm not exactly sure what happened as a result. So, if there were a million error messages, I apologize. First time the damn server's gone down for this long in a LONG time... The Rev |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| | Reverend Bill Tatalovich | Home page: | | | http://students.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/ | | wt3@cec.wustl.edu |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ | personnel@kwur.wustl.edu | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ From: Stewart Russell 3295 Analyst_Programmer Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 10:14:20 +0100 (BST) Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG : Good news and bad news from the UK Message-ID: <13851.12375.284180.436977@helmsdale> >>>>> "Danielle" == Danielle Gaither writes: >> Don't get disheartened; as Frank Zappa said, "Writing about >> music is like dancing about architecture." Danielle> A slight correction: it was Elvis Costello who said Danielle> that. I have a none-too-reliable accreditation for both authors for the quotation. I'll wait until I find something in print. -- Stewart C. Russell Analyst Programmer, Dictionary Division stewart@ref.collins.co.uk HarperCollins Publishers use Disclaimer; my $opinion; Glasgow, Scotland ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 11:17:50 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG : Good news and bad news from the UK -Reply I think this is getting a bit confusing (or maybe it's me). I was told that a single off STD would be released in the UK and that it would be Dr Worm, which is the single released in the USA. Dr Worm was the single released in the USA wasn't it? Richard >>> "xornom@hotmail.com" 7/October/1998 09:28am >>> Derek wrote: >How odd. Last I heard, They weren't making a a single. There already is a single, actually. It just hasn't been commercially released (and might never be). -- Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "The puffin sipped at his herbal tea and sighed, 'You can't get the buttons these days.'" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19981007125007.00e1912c@mail.utexas.edu> Date: Wed, 07 Oct 1998 07:50:07 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: TMBG: Severe Vulgarity At 03:29 AM 10/7/98 EDT, you wrote: >It almost seems like they really really want to be a popular mainstream band. >Personally speaking i'd hate tmbg to become a commonly played radio friendly >band. There is nothing i love more when a Back Street Boys fan hears me >playing TMBG in my car and says : "God that is WEIRD!" It's kind of selfish to wish them less successful for your sake. They deserve all the success they can get! Harf, Mitch "If poetry is like an orgasm, an academic can be likened to someone who studies the passion-stains on the bedsheets." - Irving Layton http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~mitcharf/index.html Support the Harf Project: http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~mitcharf/harfproj.html All your questions answered, all your problems solved: http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/mitch/ask820/ask820.html ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981007155958.17258.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "VoVat Quetzalcoatlus" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG : Good news and bad news from the UK -Reply Date: Wed, 07 Oct 1998 08:59:58 PDT Richard wrote: >I think this is getting a bit confusing (or maybe it's me). >I was told that a single off STD would be released in the UK and that >it >would be Dr Worm, which is the single released in the USA. >Dr Worm was the single released in the USA wasn't it? "Dr. Worm" was released to radio stations as a promotional single. It was never commercially released as a single, though, and I don't think that it will be, here in the States. I have no idea whether or not it will be released as a single in the UK. -- Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "The puffin sipped at his herbal tea and sighed, 'You can't get the buttons these days.'" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981007161049.1025.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "VoVat Quetzalcoatlus" Subject: Re: TMBG: well, this is shitty (my response) -Reply -Reply Date: Wed, 07 Oct 1998 09:10:48 PDT Richard wrote: >Well if you insist (lights blue paper and dives very rapidly for >cover) >Richard Hey, the review's not YOUR fault. It should be the writer who's diving for cover. >They Might Be Giants - hit single Birdhouse in Your Soul - return to >our >late-night local radio show schedules with this semi-live, >semi-studio, >semi-improvised, all-appalling album, which features many of their >cleverest songs. Is "cleverest" a real word? >From the *40s novelty jive tune Istanbul (Not >Constantinople) to the dead man*s Devo that is Particle Man, nasal >vocals >and an avoidance of emotional content giving shape to the works of >Johns Flansburgh and Linnell. "Nasal vocals"? Okay, so the Johns don't have perfectly clear, operatic voices. I can understand why people call Them "whiny" at times. I don't know about "nasal," though. They're certainly nowhere close to Bob Dylan in this category. >XTC vs Adam Ant threatens to explore the >nature of form versus content, but forgets to. Actually, I would tend to agree on that particular song. There are a lot of songs on the album that this guy doesn't even mention, though. >There are >made-up-on-the-spot numbers about the Planet of The Apes film and the >whole thing rumbles on like a Footlights revue(1): superior-sounding >educated, smug and seemingly fond of its medium - in this case pop - >while, Frank Zappa-like, really contemptuous of the plebeian >simplicity of >it all. Is this necessarily a bad thing? -- Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "The puffin sipped at his herbal tea and sighed, 'You can't get the buttons these days.'" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: Phil Jackson Message-Id: <199810071625.MAA28232@angels.heaven.net> Subject: Re: TMBG: well, this is shitty (my response) -Reply -Reply Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 12:24:32 -0400 > >From the *40s novelty jive tune Istanbul (Not > >Constantinople) to the dead man*s Devo that is Particle Man, nasal > >vocals > >and an avoidance of emotional content giving shape to the works of > >Johns Flansburgh and Linnell. > > "Nasal vocals"? Okay, so the Johns don't have perfectly clear, operatic > voices. I can understand why people call Them "whiny" at times. I > don't know about "nasal," though. They're certainly nowhere close to > Bob Dylan in this category. Oh cmon you can't say that flansy dosen't have a nasal voice?? How else would you describe it? Heres a question for you all...How would you describe TMBG's music? I was stuck in a situation trying to describe it when a friend of mine asked "Whats the whole thing with their music? whats the WHY behind the lyrics?" i was completely stumped as to put it into words...can anyone help me out here? ~Eric "Action" Jackson~ [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 12:40:36 -0400 (EDT) From: Joe Teagno <99teajoe@hawken.edu> Subject: TMBG: Tony Millionaire-- URL for Maakies comic strip Message-ID: I found the URL of a Maakies comic strip by Tony Millionaire. It's the same one that was adapted for SNL last week. http://www.word.com/komix_temp/fiftytwo/millionaire/index.html Joe ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <9bee97ee.361bb2cd@aol.com> Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 14:28:29 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Severe Vulgarity In a message dated 10/7/98 3:33:46 AM, Gweeg@aol.com writes: >Has anyone else noticed John and John using the word "fuck" a lot more >in >recent concerts? yep... i'd never heard linnell say *the 'f' word* until my most recent tmbg show... sarah ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <151e247c.361bbf87@aol.com> Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 15:22:47 EDT Subject: TMBG: tour dates... eh? did someone mess up here? .. Date: City: Venue: 1/29/99 Westerville, OH Otterbein College 9/10/98 San Francisco, CA Fillmore 9/11/98 West Hollywood, CA House of Blues is that 1/29 date right? well it's in the wrong spot. oh well, doesn't regard me. *sniff, sniff*... they're due to come back here, dammit! 12/96; 11/97; c'mon! 10/98! :P sarah ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Dr. Worm Single Message-ID: <19981007.153532.8055.0.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A Klein) Date: Wed, 07 Oct 1998 15:37:06 EDT Here's the response I got from Operator Dot (I believe she works at TMB Productions) : "it's true that there is a promotional radio single for dr worm, but there is no actual single planned for release" There it is, the unfortunate truth. I got this info back at the first of September, so I don't know if any plans have been changed. Her e-mail is TMBGDot@aol.com. Got a question? She's the one to ask. Derek "Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age" ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 14:34:54 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: Severe Vulgarity Message-ID: <19981007.143801.12166.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> >yep... i'd never heard linnell say *the 'f' word* until my most recent >tmbg >show... ditto... and at that show he said it at least 7 times... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: <61464574.361bc6a7@aol.com> Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 15:53:11 EDT Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Who Here is Uptight? It depends on several factors: how much sleep I've had, how much pez I've eaten, and if I'm in trouble. I'm guessing you can figure out when I'm in which mind. -Amber the Alterian ------------------------------ From: Alterian@erian.com Message-ID: <60713764.361bd9a3@aol.com> Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 17:14:11 EDT Subject: TMBG: Toronto show and my Bunny The Toronto show was incredibly awsome. I don't quite remember the play list, but it was more or less the same things that the other people have been saying. It was worth the drive up from Rochester NY. I got back about 3:30, but didn't get to bed till about 4..I'm running on 2 hours of sleep woo.. I'm looking for Leia, I forgot your e-mail address so please e-mail me back I brought my friend to the concert. It was her first concert ever, and she doesn't know them too well, but I'm working on her and I think I have her hooked now. She had the time of her life. They really put on an awsome show. My bunny Lago came with me(stufffed animal/mutilated beanie baby). I brought him to school the next day and everyone was telling me how much he smelled of smoke too bad for the non smoking signs. I don't personally smoke, but it just adds to the atmosphere of the concert I think. -Amber the Alterain ------------------------------ From: TMBGibs@aol.com Message-ID: <38308df5.361be1a0@aol.com> Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 17:48:16 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Severe Vulgarity Yeah, a friend of mine went to one of there concerts and when she came back the first thing outta her mouth was "I didnt relize J&J were such potty mouths." ------------------------------ From: "Lee" Subject: TMBG: FW: Fwd: FUN!!! NO really its fun! Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 17:55:49 -0400 Message-ID: <000001bdf23d$593ae240$0564a8c0@lee> -----Original Message----- From: Kelsey Smith [mailto:kelsey_girl@hotmail.com] Sent: Wednesday, October 07, 1998 12:34 AM To: dudleygirl@hotmail.com; overoach@hotmail.com; RadicalCon@aol.com; rtfm@wt.net; cmadrid@home.com; mgeary@flash.net; beth@amazon.com; marley2413@aol.com; thatman@hotmail.com; slug28@hotmail.com; wolfpress@earthlink.net; kims@megahits.com Subject: Re: Fwd: FUN!!! NO really its fun! sorry to do this to you, but i thought this one wasn't too bad. kels. >Received: from 206.133.125.69 by www.hotmail.com with HTTP; > Tue, 06 Oct 1998 15:57:04 PDT >X-Originating-IP: [206.133.125.69] >From: "Jill Martin" >To: Anton.Plas@hwcn.org, EMPRESS567@aol.com, Athiena00@aol.com, never_fade_away@hotmail.com, kelsey_girl@hotmail.com, bjorkgirl@hotmail.com, miss_world80@hotmail.com, courtneyspice@gurlmail.com, nikki@riotgrrl.com, hey41@interlynx.net, Silvrtbgrl@aol.com, rustheart@hotmail.com, ttham@idirect.com, venus@riotgrrl.com >Subject: Fwd: FUN!!! NO really its fun! >Content-Type: text/plain >Date: Tue, 06 Oct 1998 15:57:04 PDT > > >>From: "Sarah Capozza" >>To: chrisjis@dynamite.com.au, rstacher@tassie.net.au, >stacherc@postoffice.utas.edu.au, caplaw@iquest.net, >leogreen@hotmail.com, DragonsMsc@aol.com, bombs66@hotmail.com, >erindooley@juno.com, 9506646@scholar.nepean.edu.au, rayniey@hotmail.com, >htran@memlane.com, hunnypot14@hotmail.com, husian7@hotmail.com, >JEMassey@MAIL.SAUMAG.EDU, fransisbean@hotmail.com, >jmbowers@ac4.jjc.cc.il.us, ladybug@greenhills.net, fnr@dana.ucc.nau.edu, >upyr@hotmail.com, libragirl924@juno.com, m-in-black@hotmail.com, >praaby@hotmailcom, stormluver@hotmail.com, wolfebrass@mailcity.com, >zeugma@msn.com, flower-grrrl@gurlmail.com, nasir@tsstt.net.tt, >kennedyc@villagefair.com, newyork@collegemail.com, dcunni@tc3net.com, >crazy_peggy@hotmail.com, b201049@dcn002.bayantel.com.ph, >epfleide@thomas.butler.edu, richdoe@gibnet.gi, Rachel.Winkler@jbc.edu, >raven235@juno.com, jennifer@giant.net, Pccrdoy@iquest.net, >rgdgasparini@mail.netsite.com.br, acid_phreak666@hotmail.com, >sethcapozz@aol.com, rustheart@hotmail.com, theater317@aol.com, >gotchatut@hotmail.com, zirconia@hotmail.com, thefonze@hotmail.com >>Subject: Fwd: FUN!!! NO really its fun! >>Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 18:11:18 PDT >> >> >>> >>>>>> First things first: >>>>>>> >>>>>>> NO CHEATING >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> Really. I mean it. >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> Don't cheat. >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> This is a little game that has a pretty funny/creepy >>>>>>> > >> outcome. >>>>>>> > >> Don't read ahead, just do it in order. It takes about 3 >>>>>>> > >> minutes >>>>>>> > >> It's worth it. >>>>>>> > >> It's kinda eerie.... >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> First, Get a blank piece of paper and pen. >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> P.S. When you are asked to choose names, make sure it's >>>>>>> > >> people >>>>>>> > >> you ACTUALLY KNOW, and go with your first instincts! >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> Scroll down one line at a time - don't read ahead or you'll >>>>>>> > >> ruin the fun!! >>>>>>> > >> Are you ready spaggetti. . . . >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> 1.) First, write the numbers 1 through 11 in a column. >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> 2.) Then, beside numbers 1 and 2, write any two numbers you >>>>>>> > >> want. >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> 3.) Beside the 3 and 7, write down the names of members of >>>>>>> > >> the >>>>>>> > >> opposite sex (or same sex if you're gay). Don't look >>>>>>> > >> ahead-or >>>>>>> > >> it won't turn out right! >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> 4.) Write anyone's name (like friends or family...) in the >>>>>>> > >> 4th, >>>>>>> > >> 5th >>>>>>> > >> and 6th spots. Don't cheat or you'll be upset that you >did. >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> 5.) Write down four song titles in 8, 9, 10 and 11. >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> 6.) Finally, make a wish..... >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> And here is the key for that game.. >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> 1.) You must tell (the number in space 2) people about >>>>>>> > >> this >>>>>>> > >> game >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> in (the number in space 1) days in order to make your wish >>>>>>> > >> come true. >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> 2.) The person in space 3 is the one that you love. >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> 3.) The person in 7 is one you like but can't work out. >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> 4.) You care most about the person you put in 4. >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> 5.) The person you name in number 5 is the one who knows >>>>>>> > >> you very well. >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> 6.) The person you name in 6 is your lucky star >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> 7.) The song in 8 is the song that matches with the person >>>>>>> > >> in 3 >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> 8.) The title in 9 is the song for the person in 7. >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> 9.) The tenth space is the song that tells you most about >>>>>>> > >> your >>>>>>> > >> mind. >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> 10.) And 11 is the song telling how you feel about life! >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> GOOD LUCK >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> the person that sent this to me said their wish came true 10 >>>>>>> > >> mins >>>>>>> > >> after they read the mail so I thought what the heck. >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> ,,:cc,,,;. >>>>>>> > >> cc$$$$$$$$$$$$$$cc >>>>>>> > >> cc$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$cc >>>>>>> > >> c$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$c >>>>>>> > >> ,c$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ >>>>>>> > >> ,c$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ >>>>>>> > >> ,d$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, >>>>>>> > >> ,$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$h$$$' >>>>>>> > >> ,$$$$$u$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ >>>>>>> > >> J$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$b$ >>>>>>> > >> $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ >>>>>>> > >> $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ >>>>>>> > >> '$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$' >>>>>>> > >> '$$$$$$$MMMMM'$$$$$$$$MMMMM'$$$$$$' >>>>>>> > >> '$$$$$$MMMM.$$$$$$$,MMMM $$$$$$$$' >>>>>>> > >> '$$$$$,M";;; '$$$$$$$$$$'M",,'",$$$$$$$' >>>>>>> > >> ?$$$$,<( ') $$$$$$$$$$ ,(' ')> J$$$' >>>>>>> > >> ?$$$, <( ) $$$$$$$$$$$ ( )$$$$? >>>>>>> > >> '$$$$$.'-' $$$$$$$$$$$$$,'-',$$$' >>>>>>> > >> $$$$$$$$$$$????$$$$$$$$$$$' >>>>>>> > >> d$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$b >>>>>>> > >> $$$$$$$$$$$c,,,,c$$$$$$$$$$$$ >>>>>>> > >> "?$$$$P"" "$$$$$$???$$$$??" >>>>>>> > >> $$$$$ >>>>>>> > >> 4$$$$$c >>>>>>> > >> ,$$$$$$$"c >>>>>>> > >> z$<$$$$$$$'$, >>>>>>> > >> z$<$$$$$$$$$'$c >>>>>>> > >> <$>$$$$$$$$$$;?$ >>>>>>> > >> '$<$$$$$$$$$$$:$ >>>>>>> > >> ?L$$$$$$$$$$$:$ >>>>>>> > >> ?$$$$$$$$$$$d' >>>>>>> > >> '$$$$$$$$$$F >>>>>>> > >> '?$c'??3$F >>>>>>> > >> CCC CCC >>>>>>> > >> .,,,,,. .,,,,,. >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> You have been seen by the tweety bird. He will grant you 1 >>>>>>> > >> wish!!! >>>>>>> > >> Make Your wish when the count down is over!!! >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> 10.. >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> 9.. >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> 8.. >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> 7. >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> 6.. >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> 5.. >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> 4.. >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> 3.. >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> 2.. >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> 1.. >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> **** MAKE A WISH****** >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> >>>>>>> > >> Send this to 10 people within the hour you read this. If you >>>>>>> > >> do, >>>>>>> > >> Your >>>>>>> > >> wish will come true. If you don't it will become the >>>>>>> > >> opposite. >>> >>> >>> >> >> >>______________________________________________________ >>Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com > > >______________________________________________________ >Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981007222301.16097.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Michael Fink" Subject: Re: TMBG: well, this is shitty (my response) -Reply -Reply Date: Wed, 07 Oct 1998 15:23:00 PDT > whats the WHY behind the lyrics?" >i was completely stumped as to put it into words...can anyone help me out >here? > ~Eric "Action" Jackson~ I personally believe that the only "Why?" behing their music is "Why the heck not?" I have a hard time explaning them to my friends, too...no one seems to be able to comprehend making music for fun and singing silly words that sometimes don't apply to anything. oh well...their loss...but I'm still trting to 'convert' them Mike Fink *'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'* Boycott Microsoft http://www.vcnet.com/bms *'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'* ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: njh23@email.byu.edu Date: Wed, 07 Oct 1998 16:37:08 -0600 Subject: TMBG: Swedish Ascendancy? Message-id: <3.0.6.32.19981007163708.007948c0@email.byu.edu> Have you evered really loked at the World Tour 2040 t-shirt? Glasgow, London, Amsterdam, and Brussels are part of Sweden in the year 2040. Very interesting. Do the Johns highly favor Swedish dominion over Europe, or do they dislike Great Britain and Belgium? interesting... :-) Nicholas aka "TheyNick" Hatton No matter where you go, there you are. "Everybody Conga! Make new friends! Ditch your old friends! Lose your parents! Lose your ride home! Lose your wallet? EVERYBODY CONGA!" -TMBG ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Message-Id: <199810072327.TAA20369@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: Disruptions Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 19:27:33 -0400 (EDT) Over the next week or so there will be some major changes to how www.tmbg.org, www.tmbg.com, www.monopuff.org and www.dialasong.com get on the net. I suspect there will be a small amount of time where you will be unable to access them during this time. Mail to the list should be properly queued if systems are down and simply be delivered latere. I will make every effort to minimize this. If you see problems please wait a while and try again, we're probably working on things. -- Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org Systems Engineer - Internetworking Engineer - CCIE 3440 Read TMBG List - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org, www.tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 19:59:08 -0400 (EDT) From: "mike@journalx.com" Subject: TMBG: The Toronto Report Message-ID: Well, here I am again to give you all the rundown on TMBG's most recent appearance in Toronto, specifically last night at the Opera House. This is the fifth time I have seen them here, and my 14th TMBG show in all. The Opera House is a really nice, big venue, with lots of room and a balcony and more than one bar, but for some reason there is only one exit out of the main area of the club which is one narrow doorway, often blocked by people right outside of the doorway lining up at coat check, so getting out of the place at the end of the night was a challenge, and I'm sure, violates all known fire codes. Anyway, myself and my friends decided to view the show from the balcony, where we were able to check out the proceedings from a unique vantage point. I would not always recommend this, as I have been right up at the front of the stage for numerous TMBG shows and that's always a real blast, but this time we decided not to go for the full moshpit experience. Not only that, my hearing is still intact, proving that even though the show was extremely loud, my distance from the bank of speakers saved my ears from serious damage. I have, in the past, walked out of TMBG shows in near-total deafness, and as I am sure some of you out there will agree with, it's not a lot of fun. Before the show I scoped out the merchandise table, which featured a standard selection of shirts, but I wasn't interested in the shirts really. The first thing I noticed was that there was a huge pile of Mono Puff postcards for free, so I grabbed some of those. As far as other merchandise was concerned, they had 2 CDs by opener Michael Shelley (I passed on buying these - he was OK, but that's all. He's no Lincoln, or Candy Butchers). They also had Severe Tire Damage on CD, so I bought that. Now, I have been hearing about how at recent shows there's been all sorts of old EPs for sale, so I was all excited about that, however there wasn't really a lot available at this show. They did have the 3 inch CD EP of They'll Need A Crane, along with that same EP on cassette and the cassette EP of (She Was A) Hotel Detective. I already have the TNAC CD, but since this was sealed, I bought it. I also bought one of each of the two sealed cassettes, which, like the Crane CD, I will not open. I passed on purchasing the final TMBG item available, which was the 7-inch single for Why Does The Sun Shine, because I already have it and they were not selling the record sealed. Now you know what items I paid for, but of course that's not all I walked away with. I mean, if you happened to look at the wall and see a Severe Tire Damage tour poster taped to it, wouldn't you carefully remove it from the wall and sneak it back out to the car? Of course you would. Well, that's what I did, at the prompting of my friend who had already done this himself. He also managed to remove an STD "flat" from the club wall for himself, but later on he gave it to me as, due to the course of events which followed, he no longer needed it. A flat is an LP-cover sized cardboard poster (usually with different illustrations on both sides). Though the photo on both the flat and the tour poster is the same photo as appears on the poster in the new TMBG newsletter, the lettering is different and there are other nice things about both items which are quite special, and so I am pleased at my moral flexibility about stealing. Anyway, I won't talk about Michael Shelley except to say he was merely OK. His set was mercifully short and at around 10.30, TMBG came on stage to the strains of the Severe Tire Damage theme, then launched directly into Dr. Worm, which was also repeated later as the final song of the show at the end of the second encore. I have to say that this show was truly indicative of all the reasons why I love TMBG and love to see them perform. John and John have an undeniable onstage chemistry and this translates into high energy and brilliant, intuitive musicianship. I managed to grab a setlist from the sound guy after the show, and this is the set, along with notes when warranted. Severe Tire Damage theme She's An Angel Dr. Worm - For some reason they decided to blow off the cannon during this song. No mention was made of the cannon, unlike every other show I have ever seen the cannon in, and this was also the first time that I've seen Linnell actually reach down and trigger the cannon himself. NYC - I'm beginning to finally like this song more and more. Battle For The Planet Of The Apes - kind of a Toronto tradition I guess, now that last November's performance of this song from Lee's Palace here in Toronto is immortalised on Severe Tire Damage. Great improv jamming here. Subliminal - so so nice, as it builds to a deafening climax. The Famous Polka - followed by a "faster" version. Both times, near the end of the song, Flans stuck his guitar into the crowd and handed a girl at the front his pick, asking her to strum it. She refused the first time! Following this, he pulled the guitar along the front row and allowed most of the people there to strum it. Vocorder/Dan Miller - Linnell sings about how Dan Miller's shit is on fire through his voice modulator, and Mr. Miller solos. He somehow seems less offensive than Schermerhorn even though he's essentially doin kinda the same thing. Except he plays keyboards on certain songs which allows Linnell to play the accordion, so he's OK with me. The Guitar She's Actual Size - so impassioned, Flans was actually down on his knees. A bravura performance. They Got Lost - I first heard this song in April 1996 at Etown when it was a slow skeletal prototype. I like this fast version very much, and have seen them do it a few times now. Older - 'Twas also April 1996 when I first saw them perform this song. I still love it, and the crowd seemed to enjoy it. Bobbing my head to this song is just one of those things I love to do. Spiralling Shape - a very good performance of a rather long song. Lie Still Little Bottle - with the Stick. Following this, as in Buffalo back in March, Flans turned the stick around and sang into the microphone as he and Linnell, on vocoder, performed To All The Girls I've Loved Before. Particle Man - with the Kumbaya middle part (in glorious minor key) in place of the "I Saw The Sign" bit Linnell used to do. Meet James Ensor - not on the set list, this appeared to be an impromptu request on Flans' part to play a "glam rock" version of the song. Linnell refused to do a reggae version. As such, it was loud, and as Flans put it after, "70% T-Rex". SEXXY - the disco ball made it. Spy - maybe the best improv I've ever seen them do at the end of the song. Flans even launched into Don't You Want Me by the Human League. Shoehorn With Teeth - complete with sung "Born In A Graveyard" intro for Dan the drummer as he readies himself to play the glockenspiel. Birdhouse In Your Soul James K Polk - weird without the cannon. Ana Ng - good intro, then blazes into a lightning fast version. Why Does The Sun Shine - Linnell hardly even tried to say his parts. Exquisite Dead Guy - really great because there was a spotlight following Linnell's puppet head and as the head passed either in front of or behind the disco ball, the room would be suddenly filled with little pinpoints of light, and then just as soon return to normal. It was beautiful. Istanbul - superb intro by Dan Miller. Dig My Grave Whistling In The Dark - with Flans on the bass drum, worn over the shoulders. Great. Dr. Worm - "You've been hearing this song all over, on the radio...at your friends house....we played it at this show..." And then, that was it. They left. I grabbed the set list, and most of my friends vanished without a trace. After that, there was an interesting development which involved my friend Alex, webmaster of the Mono Puff webpage, being ushered onto the tour bus to speak with the Johns briefly, and when he emerged, he held in his hands autographed material, even signed by the elusive John Sid! He deserves it of course, and I was happy for him. Anyway, this was a wonderful show with an enormous amount of energy and ranks quite high out of all the shows I've seen. I still feel that every chance I can get to see my favourite band perform is a special opportunity to witness something great. A good time was had by all, and now I get to go look at the material spoils of my concert experience. And I look forward to listening to Severe Tire Damage, and my next TMBG show which I hope will be soon. MIKe www.journalx.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <361B00DC.2BAC@stlnet.com> Date: Tue, 06 Oct 1998 22:49:16 -0700 From: Pat Acquisto Subject: TMBG: Headache directed by Adam Bernstein The Frank Black - Headache video was directed by Adam Bernstein, famed director of Birdhouse in Your Soul and I believe every video on the TMBG video comp. He has also directed for the B-52s, Ween, the Dead Milkmen, the Beastie Boys and Public Enemy. He also directed "It's Pat" the movie. I think if TMBG had Bernstein direct another video it would get air play and the attention Puppethead and Don't Let's Start received in 1985. nick ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <93ea89bd.361c040f@aol.com> Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 20:15:11 EDT Subject: TMBG: more maakies, in colour-- http://www.word.com/komix/installments/onehundredfourteen/millionaire/index.ht ml teletubbie meats beanie maakies. hehe.. sarah ------------------------------ From: Monotreme3@aol.com Message-ID: <70bba878.361c0907@aol.com> Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 20:36:23 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Who Here is Uptight? In a message dated 10/6/98 3:03:44 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Gweeg@aol.com writes: > Do you people > believe the average TMBG fan is an angry computer loving geek? The Johns > believe this themselves to an extent. ] Does "computer loving" constitue geekiness? I take offense. Sniff. It's... it's a good profession. It's... it's... it's *practical*. And games are fun. Sniff. And without the lovely computer, how would you get all those mp3s? Would they even exist!? No. Oh God. I want to die. Cry, cry, cry. Okay. I'm done now. But seriously folks, it's not angry geeks that are the problem, it's just stupid people, I think. But then... to one person, every other person might be the problem. And though I may get kinda upset with some people (but I don't whack people in the kidneys or anything) I guess we should give others a chance. But still. In the words of Ani DiFranco. "Maybe you don't like your job, maybe you didn't get enough sleep... well nobody likes their job, nobody got enough sleep... maybe you just had the worst day of your life, but you know there's no reason and there's no excuse... so just suck up... just suck up and be nice." -Carey Countdown to TMBG... 72 hours, 31 minutes. (Not counting Mr. Shelley.) ------------------------------ From: Monotreme3@aol.com Message-ID: <16761f9c.361c09df@aol.com> Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 20:39:59 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Who Here is Uptight? Oh yeah. P.S. I have no idea which side brained I am, 'cause I like computers yet I'm an artist, art major, art lover, all that crap. So. Hm. I guess I'm a geeky spacey computer monkey fruit. Oh wait. No! I'm not a fruit! Wait! Ahhhhhhhhhhh! -Carey ditto, ditto, ditto 72 hours 27 minutes. > Another question: Are most TMBG fans right or left brained? I'm very right > brained. I suck at math and computers, but i love painting and film. With > TMBG's strangeness I'd imagine most of their listeners would be flakey space > cases like i am. However after the concert it seems apparent that most are > indeed left brained computer monkeys(and kinda snooty too). I was just > wondering who on this list freely admits to being a geeky computer monkey > and > who admits to be a fruity space case. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <361C158A.6F24@asan.com> Date: Wed, 07 Oct 1998 21:29:46 -0400 From: "Robert J. Plass" Organization: Schick Technologies, Inc. - The Leader in Digital Radiography Subject: TMBG: MP3: Girls Can't Do What The Guys Do Hello exquisite living people, Wow, I made an mp3!! Okay, this song is known to DIEHARD Monopuff fans as "Girls", sung by the Puff sisters. Originally recorded by Betty Wright in 1968, this song made it up to #15 on the Pop and topped out the R&B charts. She was only 14 when she recorded it, so that's kind of cool. Monopuff performs a cover of this song live. They've been doing this song pretty regularly for about a year now. This is the original recording, from a cool Betty Wright Greatest Hits album I found in Minneapolis during my recent trip to the MidWest. http://www.asan.com/users/plassrob/gcdwtgd_betty_wright_1968.mp3 Enjoy. Love, Rob Plass --- ----- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19981008022843.00ea5900@mail.utexas.edu> Date: Wed, 07 Oct 1998 21:28:43 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: TMBG: Interview before Austin show >Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 20:21:30 -0500 (CDT) >From: Erik Swedberg >To: mitcharf@mail.utexas.edu > >Interview with John Linell of THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS, > >John Erler and Eric Swedberg interview John Linell for KVRX before the >TMBG show at Stubbs BBQ on September 19, 1998. > >JE: Ive got kind of an off-the-wall question right off the bat, which was >inspired by one of your songs [Rhythm Section Want Ad]: DO you sing like >Olive Oil on purpose? And are you into the Eurythmics? > >JL: Well those questions in that song, the idea was that they were >irritating questions that people asked us. So theyre obviously not meant >to be answered in a serious way. [laughs] > >JE: Speaking of the Eurythmics, do you have any guilty-pleasure bands, >bands that you wouldnt want anybody to find out that you actually like? > >JL: Sure, I suppose so. I never listen to the Eurythmics particularly. >Theres really a lot of bands that you like not because theyre good, but >for some other reason. > >JE: For instance, I love the Stars on 45, an early 80s Dutch pop group. > >JL: Dutch pop is a whole guilty pleasure of its own. Another Dutch band >was Focus, who did Hocus Pocus. It was a really big instrumental hit in >the 70s. Youd recognize it if you heard it, cause it was everywhere. > >ES: I think you guys were quoted as saying that youd tried vegetarianism >but you quit because life was too boring without barbecue. And now youre >eating here at Stubbs. > >JL: Wow I dont remember that. We just have chowed down on barbecue. >Stubbs really packs a punch. > >JE: Do you have any particularly fond or bitter memories of Austin? > >JL: Oh no, I have good memories. People have asked us about memorable >gigs, and Austin has come up in that context, because I remember these >particular times at Liberty Lunch, which is almost the only club we ever >played at for years and years, when we got the crowd to scream at a >certain moment in the show. And people were so into it; they were so >ready to scream as if they were in hell. That was the instruction, and >they went for it in such a heavy way that it was earsplitting, really >memorable. So even 10 years ago when people would ask us what the >memorable gigs were, I would say Austin for that reason. And there was >another similar show in Dublin, Ireland. The same thing: people really >knew how to scream loud. Ill never forget those shows for that reason. > >ES: When you write songs do you write them thinking, "in 10 years Im >still gonna want to have fun playing this song"? > >JL: No, I wish I did think in those terms. Probably for most of the songs >weve written I had no idea that wed still be playing them in 10 years? > >ES: How do you keep the energy in your sets? > >JL: Mood enhancing drugs [laughs]. We drink a lot of coffee before the >show. Im pushing middle-age; sometimes I do feel a little weary stepping >onto the stage. Terrible thing to admit. But we do these long tours and >sometimes we dont get enough sleep. It is really hard to jump around and >act crazy night after night, not that I even do that, but it would be >hard. > >JE: What do you think of some of these fans? Youve got a lot of great >fans, but youve also inspired a lot of rabid loyalty? > >JL: Yeah, I think its a double-edged sword in a way because sometimes we >do have awkward moments with our crowd, where they want something from us >personally, and we see them outside the gig and they want some kind of >interaction with us. And its something that maybe we cant quite supply. >Were just not...I should speak for myself...Im just not maybe a generous >enough person to really satisfy people in that way. And I dont feel like >for me its that meaningful a relationship. And they feel very personally >connected to me, but I dont actually know these people. They come up to >me and they feel like Im theyre friend because theyre a fan of the band. >So it can be very awkward and strange for me in that way. But having said >that, these are the people who are supporting me. Its like, everything we >do is dependent on these people, so were super-grateful that people like >the band so much. We do have a very intense following, and luckily its a >very loyal following too. They tend to stick around. > >JE: ...And shout like theyre in hell sometimes. > >ES: How about the new album. Is there anything youd like to say about >it? > >JL: I think its an interesting kind of record. You have to sort of >declare what your record is if its not just a regular studio album. So >its been proclaimed the live album but at the same time its not really a >collection of all our greatest hits. There are new studio recordings on >it. Theres a bunch of tracks that were only performed once ever, and have >nothing to do with anything. So its an oddball kind of record. So I >think thats very good for us, that we didnt make just a standard live >album. But it does have a lot of good performances of songs that people >know on it and for the most part theyre different from the studio >versions. So that made it worthwhile. Im proud of it; I think its a good >record. > >JE: Another off-the-wall, Barbara Walters-style question, so get ready: > >JL: Im gonna stonewall when it comes to anything personal. > >JE: Some of your best songs are love songs to or by inanimate objects: >"Exquisite Dead Guy", "Birdhouse in your Soul", "Metal Detector". If you >were going to write a love song to a snack food, what it would be? > >JL: Im trying to think if we ever did anything like that..But I cant >think of one. I think we try to stay away from product names, because >then you get into, I dont know, more of Frank Zappa territory. > >ES: Youre into Frank Zappa? > >JL: Well I did like Frank Zappa when I was a kid. But I should qualify >that by saying I liked certain things about Frank Zappa and I really still >find a lot of his stuff problematic. I dont want to give an unqualified >enthusiastic two thumbs-up for Frank Zappa. But he obviously influenced >both John and I. I think that we try to be more... I think one of the >worst things about his general view of the world was that he had a very >condescending attitude towards his audience and everybody. And he was not >a superior being. So it was an unattractive posture. > >ES: Someone wanted to know if you were planning on releasing the State >Songs. > >JL: I would like to. I dont have a record deal for it, but its kind of >in the works. Its gonna require a little bit of time blocked out for me. >I work slower than Flansburgh. Hes much more of a workaholic than I am. >So hes been able to direct videos and make his solo records while weve >been doing other stuff. And Im sort of preoccupied with staring out the >window a lot of the time. > >ES: Are you planning on doing 50 [state songs]? > >JL: Well that would be nice; I dont really have a plan yet. One of the >problems with the project is that I keep writing new songs... like Ive >written songs for states that Ive already written songs for. And then I >tear up some of them. I dont know, I think its one of these life projects >that Ill never completely finish working on. > >JE: Do you have other ones like that? Ideal, back-burner projects? > >JL: Well I put out another CD on Flansburghs Hello Club thing, which was >a collection of instrumentals that represent the mayors of New York. You >can see the thread. > >ES: Ive overheard rumors of a childrens show album? > >JL: Well we had a discussion with Jim Hensons group that was doing a >Doctor Seuss thing. And unfortunately it didnt turn out to be the kind of >project that we actually wanted to do. I think the problem for John and I >working with other people is that we dont know exactly how to collaborate >musically with a company, with somebody that were employed by. We havent >quite figured that out yet. But I think its something want to try and do. >Weve talked to a record company about putting together a childrens record, >but its completely our own production. So that may happen. We still >havent charted it out yet. > >JE: You mentioned collaboration: whats the collaborative process like >between you and the other John? > >JL: Generally we dont really work in the same room together at the same >time. We have done that, but I think we find that for both of us its more >productive if we work privately and then just show each other what were >doing. In cases where we have collaborated and one of has written lyrics >and given them to the other or written some music as a MIDI file or >something...well give stuff back and forth that way. Most of the work >that weve done has been individual, you know we each write songs. On the >other hand its for this project that were both involved in, so I feel like >its all collaborative in one way, which is that I cant write a song that >think John isnt gonna like, because theres no point. It wouldnt be a They >Might Be Giants song. > >JE: Do you ever, for instance, write a song for the other John to sing, or >do you pretty much sing what you write? > >JL: Yeah, weve done that on occasion. For example, John wrote the words >to Subliminal and gave them to me and I made up the music and sang it. >And theres a bunch of early stuff that I wrote for John to sing: >"Cowtown", "The Worlds Address" and with "Puppet Head" I wrote the chorus >and the melody for the whole thing and then John made up the words for >both of the verses for that one. Theres a few more like that. There are >some that havent been released that are collaborative. With "Spider" >basically I put together these samples in a kind of a sequence and I gave >the whole batch of stuff, like a bunch of discs, to Flansburgh and he kind >of put it all together. He added the bongos and the little cocktail horn >and everything. > >ES: I saw you guys play last night [in Dallas] and one of you guys >mentioned that the three guys in your backup band are all named Dan. Is >that true? > >JL: Its true. > >ES: I was wondering if that was a coincidence... or, conspiracy? > >JL: It is a coincidence. > >JE: Its like a royal flush. > >JL: Yeah, its a full house actually. It beats a straight or a flush. I >dont know what examples of bands you could think of that are straights or >flushes, but wed beat them if they were. > >ES: The Ramones. > >JL: Thats right! > >JE: Well thats four-of-a-kind isnt it? > >JL: Thats right, that beats a full house [laughs]. > >JE: When the tribute album to you guys comes out in 10 years, what bands >do you want to be playing yours songs, and which songs do you want them to >play? > >JL: I want...I dont know. Flansburgh could give you a good answer to >that one. I dont really know. > >JE: Do you like any up-and-coming bands that might be around in 10 years? > >JL: Oh yeah. It would be more amusing to give a facetious answer, but >there are a lot of bands. I wouldnt presume to think that these bands >would be interested in us particularly, but there are a lot of bands that >I like. And I dont even think they should really cover our work. I mean, >I like Beck a lot. The sort of stuff that everybody has already >acknowledged as good, I guess. So like, Im always the last one: [in nerd >voice] "Oh yeah, Becks really cool". > >JE: Get off the bandwagon! > >JL: Yeah, everybodys already sick of that. > >JE: Air Supply or that kind of thing. > >JL: Now see, if Air Supply were around in 10 years I would pay money for >them to cover our songs. > >JE: Well see. Who knows? > >ES: I was wondering if your upper-body strength has varied any since you >incorporated the keyboard into the set more than the accordion. > >JL: Thats a good question because that is a real concern of mine. We >have nights where I play the accordion a lot, and the muscles you use for >the accordion are not muscles you use for anything else. Theres one in >particular which is like... one of the Dans, our bass player, is a >physical therapist so he actually knows all this stuff. Theres a muscle >here and when youre pushing and pulling something like that, which is what >I do, youre using this muscle. And apparently its a very good idea to use >this muscle because when youre old its the thing that holds your arm in >its socket, and a very common bone problem for old people is that the >thing actually starts to fall out of its socket. > >ES: So I guess we can expect more accordion-based songs coming out from >TMBG? > >JL: Well maybe. Or Ill just learn to do the exercise some other way. In >any case, its just my left shoulder thats getting this exercise. My right >one doesnt do that with the accordion. So Im going to be one of these >lopsided old guys with one arm that hangs down. > >JE: Its kind of sad. > >JL: Its terribly sad. > >JE: Lets talk television. Do you like television? > >JL: I dont watch enough TV. Thats the problem for me. When Im home, >sometimes my wife and I watch TV, just cause its there. > >JE: But youre not a big fan? > >JL: I cant find much to like on. There are certain cable things that are >kind of funny. I mean I always like the Simpsons. Another example of >that thing where everybody already likes it. Theres no point in blowing >the Simpsons horn. But its still funny. > >JE: Have any TV shows inspired songs? Is there any connection there? > >JL: Im sure there has been: I cant think of what it would be now. I >always liked the Perry Mason theme. > >JE: And that showed up in one of your songs on Lincoln. > >JL: Yeah, it was a total homage to the Perry Mason theme on that record. >Very astute of you to notice that. > >JE: So youre not a big TV fan. > >JL: Not really. I watched a lot when I was a kid.and then when I was a >teenager my mom threw the TV in the trash because she was trying to get >our attention and she was fed up that we were even watching the >commercials. We had this little black and white set and she just marched >into the basement and whipped it into the trash can. We didnt have TV for >the rest of the time I was living at home. So I actually missed a lot of >shows in the 70s. I missed The Dukes of Hazzard. I didnt see Fantasy >Island. A lot of shows that are considered seminal shows I completely >missed out on because my mom had had enough. I was not following Dallas, >the whole "who shot JR thing". I missed out on all of that. > >after the tape stops, we say like "i don't >have any more questions, thanks for your time..." > >then we said something about the weather, i think, as we left. because it >was really hot. ------------------------------ From: tdk@raven.cybercomm.net Message-Id: <3.0.6.32.19981007231306.00798d10@raven.cybercom.com> Date: Wed, 07 Oct 1998 23:13:06 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Live state songs on TDK's TMBG sound page! Hello. Recently added to my sound page is John Linnell performing live state songs, accompanied by Marcus Ross on tuba.. the songs are: The Song of the Fifty States - A very cool theme to the fifty states! South Carolina Oregon Tennessee - Linnell reads a Wallace Stevens poem. Maine Maryland - The actual former Maryland state song.. the music sounds kind of farmiliar. -Mike http://i.am/tdk TMBG - Mono Puff - Lincoln - Brian Dewan PS Please sign my guestbook! ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 20:35:01 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: TMBG: Who Here is Uptight? Message-ID: I'd be more interested in the fan's political affiliation, I don't personally know any right wing TMBG fans. Cap'n HElfgott ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19981008001132.007bc5f0@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Thu, 08 Oct 1998 00:11:32 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: TMBG on TV RockOnTv.com says that TMBG will be performing on Penn & Teller's Sin City Spectacular at 10:00 pm FX this Sunday!! Here's what it says: "Actor Harry Dean Stanton and his band play the Blues, and the hit alternative group, They Might Be Giants perform two numbers." -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 22:35:10 -0600 (MDT) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Flansie and Frank Black Message-ID: On Wed, 7 Oct 1998, S. Bergeron wrote: > I don't think so. I'm pretty sure that Flansburgh did "Los Angeles" and > "Hang on to Your Ego." is this brian wilson's "hang on to your ego", which was a precursor to "i know there's an answer" on _pet_sounds_? --jim kuemmerle, who's not very familiar with frank black's output... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001201bdf276$85d603a0$66c708d1@idiotnot.visi.net> From: "S. Bergeron" Subject: Re: TMBG: Swedish Ascendancy? Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 00:45:46 -0400 :Have you evered really loked at the World Tour 2040 t-shirt? :Glasgow, London, Amsterdam, and Brussels are part of Sweden in the year :2040. Very interesting. Do the Johns highly favor Swedish dominion over :Europe, or do they dislike Great Britain and Belgium? : :interesting... :-) Yah...the club in Glasgow is called "The Triumphant Norseman." Sort of harkens towards a war. Most of the dates are pretty sick...."No Doubt Playhouse, Branson, MO" To quote Larry King, "Ahhh, SICK!" Jack Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net bluedawg@tmbg.org "Someday, somebody else besides me will call me by my stage name."--Doctor Worm http://www.tmbg.org/~bluedawg/ ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #11-8 *****************************