Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #12-11 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 12, Number 11 Wednesday, 11 November 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: Dr. Worm on MTV? TMBG: delays TMBG: Introduction and other stuff... Re: TMBG: delays TMBG: Don't Break the Heart Re: TMBG: Introduction and other stuff... TMBG: NONTMBG snz xmas Re: TMBG: Don't Break the Heart TMBG:HHGTTG again NON-TMBG:HHGTTG again Re: TMBG: Introduction and other stuff... TMBG: a few questions TMBG: MIDI's Re: TMBG: a few questions Re: TMBG:HHGTTG again Re: TMBG: a few questions TMBG:Info Club TMBG: Still need tape of show... Re: TMBG: a few questions Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Phil Jackson Message-Id: <199811101655.LAA08667@angels.heaven.net> Subject: TMBG: Dr. Worm on MTV? Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 11:54:11 -0500 Has anyone seen Dr. Worm on MTV??? or on VH1 even?!?!? cause i havent ~Eric "Action" Jackson~ My Bootleg page and TMBG worship site Http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Underground/4117 [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19981110104108.008bb910@mail.ethergate.com> Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 10:41:08 -0800 From: Kerry Biggs Subject: TMBG: delays >From: tmbgirl@juno.com >Subject: Re: TMBG: new vid comp > >welcome to the world of They Might Be Giants. I think the best example >of this is with the release of Then: The Earlier Years. As you all may >recall, it was announced that it would be out in late '96. Then we heard >it was going to be released on January 25th, 1997. Then February 25th, >and finally March 25th. Actually, welcome to the world of any band that's ever tried to release anything to the general public at any time. In fact, one of my favorite bands recorded some tracks to tack onto a 2CD set of old recordings in early 1996 which didn't see the light of day until this September! The thing was delayed countless amounts of times for something like two years. Although I will consider myself lucky to get a catalog for the second time in a row... Kerry ------------------------------ From: OHLERT@accuwx.com Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 19:35:22 +0000 (GMT) Subject: TMBG: Introduction and other stuff... Message-id: <01J40QF9GLWY99H2I7@accuwx.com> Organization: AccuWeather, Inc Hi, I'm new to the list and would like to introduce myself. My name is Peter and I've been a TMBG fan for over 3 years now. The first Giants album I heard was John Henry and the song that made me say "Hey, I gotta go out and get this album...(and eventually all the others and singles too.)" was Sleeping in the Flowers. I've only had the chance to see They live once this past May at the electric factory in Philly. Absolutely the most earth shattering concert experience of my life. I see from the list that They are putting out the Video Compilation again. I assume this is going to include all the videos up through Dr. Worm? Is it going to include any extras? Additionaly, I've been wanting to get a hold of the "Power of Dial-a-Song" tapes. Any help here? Peter ohlert@accuwx.com ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 15:16:30 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: delays Message-ID: <19981110.151700.4318.0.Mr.Train@juno.com> On Tue, 10 Nov 1998 10:41:08 -0800 Kerry Biggs writes: >>From: tmbgirl@juno.com >Actually, welcome to the world of any band that's ever tried to >release anything to the general public at any time. In fact, one of my >favorite bands recorded some tracks to tack onto a 2CD set of old recordings in >early 1996 which didn't see the light of day until this September! >The thing was delayed countless amounts of times for something like two >years. > >Although I will consider myself lucky to get a catalog for the second >time in a row... > >Kerry I haven't gotten my catalog yet. But I wanted to say something about rushing release dates. I just read a Metro news story today about how The Edge said he wasn't going to say anything about a new U2 album since last time they released an album (Pop Mart) they were rushing to get it done and he said it could have and should have been a lot better... So there is a bad side... just let the musicians do their best... but then again, I don't see how they could screw up a compilation of previously recorded tracks.... Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update: Racist Friend Sampl-a-delic remix Last CD purchase: Barenaked Ladies - Rock Spectacle, MoM 2, Monty Python's Contractual Obligation Favorite mainstream song: Fatboy Slim - The Rockafellar Skank ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: mjames@khserver.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9811102058.AA23004@khserver.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Don't Break the Heart Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 15:58:17 -0500 (EST) Hi, I'm curious whether Don't Break the Heart was written by Flans/Monopuff or by someone else? I don't have my disc here at work to see if it is credited to someone else or not. I was at the Moxy Fruvous show last night in Baltimore and Amy Rigby opened for them. Was she a Hello the Band artist? Was she involved with TMBG or Monopuff? One of the songs her band played was Don't Break the Heart and it was very cool to hear. She played a really good set and I enjoyed her opening for Fruvous. If anyone has any information on any of these questions I'd appreciate it. Thanks, Matt -- Matt James mjames@khserver.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 15:37:50 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Introduction and other stuff... Message-ID: <19981110.153910.6534.0.gray42@juno.com> > Additionaly, I've been wanting to get a hold of the "Power of >Dial-a-Song" >tapes. Any help here? heh, you can add me to this list also. :) Mysterio Gal (Hotel Detective) "It's like being the world's tallest midget." --Flansburgh MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 > >Peter >ohlert@accuwx.com > ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Jeremy Skrenes Subject: TMBG: NONTMBG snz xmas Message-ID: Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 15:23:11 -0600 (Central Standard Time) that's right, the squirrel nut zippers have a christmas album out. it has eight originals and two covers. i have it for my campus radio station, but can't play it till the 16th since that is when it goes for adds. keep your ears and eyes peeled for it as it is the normally wonderful snz stuff. j * ----------------------------------------- Jeremy Skrenes Email: Jeremy.Skrenes@valpo.edu Valparaiso University ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 16:29:07 -0600 From: Jamal Rogers Subject: Re: TMBG: Don't Break the Heart Message-id: <3648BE33.3B0C82EA@ac.grin.edu> She wrote it, I'm pretty sure. Flans says so in the Unsupervised libretto. If you don't have it, you can look at http://www.monopuff.org --Jamal Matthew James wrote: > > Hi, > I'm curious whether Don't Break the Heart was written by Flans/Monopuff > or by someone else? I don't have my disc here at work to see if it is > credited to someone else or not. ------------------------------ From: ErgoTM@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 17:41:26 EST Subject: TMBG:HHGTTG again DO NOT READ THIS IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THE BOOKS!!!!!!! I just finished reading Mostly Harmless, how can he write Salmon of Doubt if they all died? Except for Zaphod that is. Jeff "Who, in time will collect the world, the eggs and wings of butterflies" Craig ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 15:55:38 -0700 (MST) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: NON-TMBG:HHGTTG again Message-ID: On Tue, 10 Nov 1998 ErgoTM@aol.com wrote: > DO NOT READ THIS IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THE BOOKS!!!!!!! > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > I just finished reading Mostly Harmless, how can he write Salmon of Doubt if > they all died? Except for Zaphod that is. the same way he can write mostly harmless even though the earth was destroyed way back in the first book -- he sits down at his mac and starts typing. ;) > Jeff "Who, in time will collect the world, the eggs and wings of butterflies" > Craig --jim kuemmerle, whose body has been wiped across the shoulder blade of graduate school... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ From: Phil Jackson Message-Id: <199811110104.UAA02568@angels.heaven.net> Subject: Re: TMBG: Introduction and other stuff... Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 20:02:51 -0500 For all of you out there who want these PODAS tapes or any other bootlegs...i am more than willing to do any sort of trade for my tapes ~Eric "Action" Jackson~ My Bootleg page and TMBG worship site http://i.am/HellHotel > > Additionaly, I've been wanting to get a hold of the "Power of > >Dial-a-Song" > >tapes. Any help here? > > heh, you can add me to this list also. :) > > Mysterio Gal (Hotel Detective) > "It's like being the world's tallest midget." > --Flansburgh > MST3K#88182 > gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The > Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 > > > >Peter > >ohlert@accuwx.com > > > > ___________________________________________________________________ > You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. > Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html > or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: Igraine81@aol.com Message-ID: <951f9746.36490670@aol.com> Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 22:37:20 EST Subject: TMBG: a few questions Hi everybody, This is my first time ever writing anything on the mailing list thingie; I have, however, been a very active um, viewer, i guess. What propelled me to write this is the fact that I have several questions that I need to ask, and hopefully you'll be able to answer them for me. I'll get to that later (if you dont want to read this, and I cant blame you, please just scroll down to the questions). But first, a brief introduction for anyone that cares. Anywho, I've been a They Might Be Giants fan for about three years now. Every Friday my school has a They Might Be Giants day, in which everyone wears their favorite TMBG tshirt (although Im the only one who celebrates). I attended my first TMBG concert on August 21, it was fabulous, but there were alot of bands there, and TMBG only played for about 45 minutes. It kinda sucked that it was so short, but everything else about it rocked. My next concert was on September 23 (by this time I was positivly edgy that I hadnt seem TMBG for a month, and was driving my friends nuts) This was even better than the first, although John Flansburgh seemed a little pissed off (he threatened to split if people kept passing-the-dude, and quit in the middle of one of his stories because someone yelled out "You guys rock!" He just did not seem happy, but God bless us Giant fans, we loved him more for it). The concert was complete with Confetti cannon, talking puppet heads and glockenspeil. Not to mention the fact that I was litterally 10 feet away,(right up front) and they allowed cameras, fabulous. So that was the concert, moving on. Im always at cowtown on AOL every wednesday, I think some people here go there regularly (HI KAY!!!). Ive succesfully converted three people to buying TMBG cd's since the school year started (Im just a regular TMBG Jehovas Witness, aren't I?) Anyway thats about as far as my obsessions go, oh, other than I once spent $170 on TMBG paraphanalia at one of their concerts, I'm planning on moving to New York so I can attend more of their concerts and I once rang up a $20 DAS bill. Oh, and Im desperatly trying to save up for a Crown Victoria. Well, thats about it, onto the questions. 1.Where is everyone getting these catalogs, Im a memeber of the mailing list, and I have yet to recieve one friggin thing in the mail!!!!! 2.Okay, now, Im really ecstatic for John Linnell being a dad and all, but doesnt anyone know anything about this, besides that he's a dad? I mean, ive even heard that the kid hasnt been born yet. 3.Also, where does everyone get this information? I didnt even know that his wife was pregnant, and all of a sudden it's everywhere. I guess I just feel a little in the dark about everything 4.Where can we find the old Video Compilation? At least, I think theres an old one. 5.WHY DONT THEY EVER PLAY ANY OF THEIR VIDOES ON MTV ANYMORE!?!?!? I know most of you cant answer this, but Im just a little upset, So here's the real question #5, How often does John, or John come out after one of their shows? Because I waited after one of their shows for two hours and helped load trucks on the off chance that one of them might show up. They didnt, but on the plus side, I got to touch John Flansburgh's guitar case (Im ridiculous, i know). anyway, so thats it, I hope that I didnt bore anyone, or offend anyone (I dont like confrontations). Anyway, thanks to anyone who answers my question, youre my heroes of the world. Lisa (place quote here) ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 22:33:35 -0500 Subject: TMBG: MIDI's Message-ID: <19981110.223705.9510.0.gray42@juno.com> Does anyone know where I can find a midi for: a) Hotel Detective (the one that was released as a "b" side only, in which Flansie sings falsetto)? b) and "I've Got A World That Swings" which curiously appeared in No form (as far as I could tell) what-so-ever i.e., lyric, translation, midi, chord, or audio? Or does anyone volunteer to create these :P Mysterio Gal (Hotel Detective) "It's like being the world's tallest midget." --Flansburgh MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 23:01:02 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: a few questions Message-ID: <19981110.230103.5830.2.Superman75@juno.com> From: superman75@juno.com (Adam Schaaf) hi. >1.Where is everyone getting these catalogs, Im a memeber of the >mailing list, and I have yet to recieve one friggin thing in the mail!!!!! what you have to do is sign up to the TMBG info club. send your name and address to: TMBG Info Club Dept C1 Box 110535 Williamsburgh Station Brooklyn, NY 11211-003 >2.Okay, now, Im really ecstatic for John Linnell being a dad and all, >but doesnt anyone know anything about this, besides that he's a dad? I >mean, ive even heard that the kid hasnt been born yet. you know as much as us. don't know if it's a boy or girl or when it's on the way, just soon. they might mention it in the news section on TMBG.COM >3.Also, where does everyone get this information? I didnt even know >that his wife was pregnant, and all of a sudden it's everywhere. I guess I >just feel a little in the dark about everything this is the first news i've heard of this on this list. i believe the news was passed on from the TMBG newsgroup. you can also check the TMBG message board at TMBG.ORG >4.Where can we find the old Video Compilation? At least, I think >theres an old one. good luck. it's very out of print. >5.WHY DONT THEY EVER PLAY ANY OF THEIR VIDOES ON MTV >ANYMORE!?!?!? MTV is run by Communists (and let's not bring that thread up again!) >I know most of you cant answer this, but Im just a little upset, So here's >the real question #5, How often does John, or John come out after one of their >shows? Because I waited after one of their shows for two hours and helped >load trucks on the off chance that one of them might show up. They didnt, but on >the plus side, I got to touch John Flansburgh's guitar case (Im ridiculous, i know) usually you can find flansburgh more than linnell (or from what i've heard). when they played philly last, i spotted dan hickey on south street and then then entire rhythm section came around later. i guess it's just a matter of being in the right place at the right time. i hope this answers any questions and glad to have you aboard. your underking of pop trivia, adam schaaf * ------------------------------------------ Philly Tour Dates Dec. 12 - The Bouncing Souls "is that the only decent show around here?" - fred "well, there's always kiss on the 21st." - adam * ------------------------------------------ ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 22:44:05 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG:HHGTTG again Message-ID: <19981110.225706.9510.2.gray42@juno.com> hmeheh, only the great Genius Douglas Adams can write another book after a Mostly Harmless *hint hint to those who've read it* I'm sure he'll figure out a way. I.E. the sixth episode of the radio series where all the characters except Ford and Arthur are eaten by the Haggunenons :) And I'm not ruining the radio series because the plot doesn't end there, it's obviously half way through... It's quite apparent that I'm starting to babble, I'll stop Mysterio Gal (Hotel Detective) "It's like being the world's tallest midget." --Flansburgh MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 22:56:34 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: a few questions Message-ID: <19981110.225706.9510.3.gray42@juno.com> On Tue, 10 Nov 1998 22:37:20 EST Igraine81@aol.com writes: >Hi everybody, Hi :) #5, How often does John, or John come out after one of their >shows? >Because I waited after one of their shows for two hours and helped >load trucks >on the off chance that one of them might show up. They didnt, but on >the plus >side, I got to touch John Flansburgh's guitar case (Im ridiculous, i >know). lessee, I've only been to 2 TMBG shows in my entire life. The first one I was forced to leave so quickly that I didn't have time to stick around for autographs (stoopid sister), but hey, I was so overwhelmed by their glory, and their crowd that I probably wouldn't have been able to do it :P The second concert I went to, several years later, Flansburgh was out there within minutes, and I was able to get an autograph on my ticket stub (stoopid unpreparation :P ) *ah thank John* Anyway, from what I've heard (if this has anything to do with your original post) that Flansburgh mostly autographs due to Linnell's shyness. Mysterio Gal (Hotel Detective) "It's like being the world's tallest midget." --Flansburgh MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 > >anyway, so thats it, I hope that I didnt bore anyone, or offend anyone >(I dont >like confrontations). Anyway, thanks to anyone who answers my >question, youre >my heroes of the world. > >Lisa >(place quote here) > ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: ErgoTM@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 23:13:30 EST Subject: TMBG:Info Club When I went to there concert in September I signed up on a little sheet to be on the mailing list, is this the same thing as the info club, or a government conspiracy to obtain the names of all TMBG fans in a plan for world domination? Jeff "This ring tells of rain, and this one summer" Craig ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: <85822bf3.36491193@aol.com> Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 23:24:51 EST Subject: TMBG: Still need tape of show... Hey Giantheads! I'm still looking for a good copy of the October 10th TMBG show in Atlanta... If anyone could hook me up, I would be much appreciative. ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <61a6aefe.36491b06@aol.com> Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 00:05:10 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: a few questions >How often does John, or John come out after one of their >>shows? i've been to 4 tmbg shows and 1 mono puff show. 1996 - tmbg #1: both johns escaped backstage, but the manager took something backstage for them to sign. 1997 - tmbg #2: both johns escaped somewhere. 1998 - tmbg #3: flans was quickly signing a few autographs, i disn't have a chance. 1998 - tmbg #4: flans stuck around to sign stuff for everyone and chat and the occasional hug. 1998 - mono puff: we hung out by the exit flans would have to use:) met him and robin. ((http://members.aol.com/tmbgamy/aug98/sarflans.jpg)) oh weird.. my computer's brightness is down and contrast higher.. that picture looks even weirder.. huh.. sarah ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #12-11 ******************************