Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #12-14 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 12, Number 14 Sunday, 15 November 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: Children's Album Re: TMBG: Children's Album Re: TMBG: Children's Album TMBG: Looking for PODAS tapes Re: TMBG: Children's Album Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Subject: TMBG: Children's Album Message-ID: <19981114.033359.4727.5.sailormorningstar@juno.com> From: sailormorningstar@juno.com (Celeste A Majetic) Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 03:37:06 EST Children's Album??? I'm sorry...if my comments are totally wrong or off.....but I've never heard about this. I agree with....Gweeg@aol.com....if TMBG want to make a children's album that's a-ok with me.....but I hope for their sake that they use a different name....I mean, come on! How often do you hear about a band putting out a children's Album??? Have you ever turned on the radio to hear the DJ say...."Marilyn Manson"...has just put out a children's album...(god forbid)....or that "The Presidents of the US of America" have..............NOT VERY OFTEN! Sure....the album may have popularity with the younger kiddies...But think about it! They already have a good thing going! My little cousin who is five years old LOVES TMBG already!....(THANX TO ME!)..sure she doesn't fully understand what they are talking about...or read a theme into their songs......but that's not the point..................... My point is....that they have no need for such an album.....as long as they keep putting out NORMAL (Normal in the sense that the album is still GIANTISH - hey I invented a new word!)...they'll do fine. OK...I'll shut my mouth now! -Karen aka Celeste :P ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Phil Jackson Message-Id: <199811141656.LAA12496@angels.heaven.net> Subject: Re: TMBG: Children's Album Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 11:55:31 -0500 > Children's Album??? I'm sorry...if my comments are totally wrong > or off.....but I've never heard about this. > I agree with....Gweeg@aol.com....if TMBG want to make a > children's album that's a-ok with me.....but I hope for their sake that > they use a different name....I mean, come on! How often do you hear > about a band putting out a children's Album??? Have you ever turned on > the radio to hear the DJ say...."Marilyn Manson"...has just put out a > children's album...(god forbid)....or that "The Presidents of the US of > America" have..............NOT VERY OFTEN! Sure....the album may have > popularity with the younger kiddies...But think about it! They already > have a good thing going! My little cousin who is five years old LOVES > TMBG already!....(THANX TO ME!)..sure she doesn't fully understand what > they are talking about...or read a theme into their songs......but that's > not the point..................... > My point is....that they have no need for such an album.....as > long as they keep putting out NORMAL (Normal in the sense that the album > is still GIANTISH - hey I invented a new word!)...they'll do fine. > OK...I'll shut my mouth now! > -Karen aka Celeste :P THEY might not have a need to put out a childrens album..but They DO want to make a childrens album. TMBG music has never been about what they NEED to do, the music they make is somthing that they do for themselves. JSL having a child just about to born if not already and flansy having children already or not depending on which rumors you listen to most likely has something to do with this also. Maybe this all just put them in a very child music kinda mood...but the point of this is that they are not doing it because they HAVE to or NEED to, but because they want to. I myself am really curious as to what the music will be like and am awaiting it very anxiously. ~Eric "Action" Jackson~ My Bootleg page and TMBG worship site Http://i.am/HellHotel [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 12:40:56 -0600 (CST) From: Jim Subject: Re: TMBG: Children's Album Message-ID: Egad, so many periods. =/ On Sat, 14 Nov 1998, Celeste A Majetic wrote: > I agree with....Gweeg@aol.com....if TMBG want to make a > children's album that's a-ok with me.....but I hope for their sake that > they use a different name....I mean, come on! Eh?! Why? Why should They hide who They are just because They want to make songs for children? Is there something morally wrong with this that I don't see? > How often do you hear about a band putting out a children's Album??? > Have you ever turned on the radio to hear the DJ say...."Marilyn > Manson"...has just put out a children's album...(god forbid)....or that > "The Presidents of the US of America" have..............NOT VERY OFTEN! Soooo . . . you're saying that because OTHER bands don't do it, TMBG shouldn't either? From what I've seen, They've done MANY things that "mainstream" bands do not and/or would not do, and the fact that the others wouldn't has not deterred Them one bit. > Sure....the album may have popularity with the younger kiddies...But > think about it! They already have a good thing going! Yes, They do, but that doesn't mean They should continue doing exactly the same thing year after year and get stuck in a rut. > My little cousin who is five years old LOVES TMBG already!....(THANX TO > ME!)..sure she doesn't fully understand what they are talking about...or > read a theme into their songs......but that's not the > point..................... Sure, it's one of the points. Why not have an album of songs by TMBG that she could enjoy even more because she can better understand it? > My point is....that they have no need for such an album.....as > long as they keep putting out NORMAL (Normal in the sense that the album > is still GIANTISH - hey I invented a new word!)...they'll do fine. Hmm . . . I seem to remember Them putting out a children's song before, neh? Doesn't anyone else? It did rather well, as I remember. How does it go now . . . ? Oh, yes! "The Sun is a Mass of Incandescent Gas, A gigantic nuclear furnace . . . " ;] Jim "I don't deserve this award, but I have arthritis, and I don't deserve that either." -Jack Benny ------------------------------ From: OHLERT@accuwx.com Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 18:01:48 +0000 (GMT) Subject: TMBG: Looking for PODAS tapes Message-id: <01J468BMNETE99IBHT@accuwx.com> Organization: AccuWeather, Inc Hey All, Wondering if someone could help me here. I'm looking to get a copy of the PODAS tapes. Any help would be appreciated... Thanks... Peter Ohlert@accuwx.com ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 16:22:02 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Children's Album Message-ID: <19981114.162211.13654.0.Superman75@juno.com> From: superman75@juno.com (Adam Schaaf) hi. >> I agree with....Gweeg@aol.com....if TMBG want to make a >> children's album that's a-ok with me.....but I hope for their sake that >> they use a different name....I mean, come on! > > Eh?! Why? Why should They hide who They are just because >They want to make songs for children? Is there something morally wrong >with this that I don't see? my point exactly. what is also more likely to happen is if they released an album under a different name who the hell's going to buy it other that the people who already know that it's They Might Be Giants, which is already an established name. to do that would be extremely counter productive. >> Sure....the album may have popularity with the younger kiddies...But >> think about it! They already have a good thing going! > > Yes, They do, but that doesn't mean They should continue doing >exactly the same thing year after year and get stuck in a rut. throwing their hat into a market that's children oriented also gets them more exposure. they'll pop-up more in family circle or nickelodeon and maybe, just maybe, MTV. more exposure means more money means more abiltiy for them to do the regular giants thing. >> My point is....that they have no need for such an album.....as >> long as they keep putting out NORMAL (Normal in the sense that the >>album is still GIANTISH - hey I invented a new word!)...they'll do fine. we should be grateful to John and John for even putting albums out, childrens or not. look at where they are right now. no label. touring the hell out of themselves. trying to get any exposure in this top 40/R&B/ Alternarock dominated industry. a LOT of other bands would have broken up if placed in this situation. i'll buy (as well as most of us out there and you know you will) anything that they put themselves into. if they feel that it's worth their time to create, i feel it's worth my time to listen. your underking of pop trivia, adam schaaf * ------------------------------------------ Philly Tour Dates Dec. 3 - Liz Phair Dec. 12 - The Bouncing Souls * ------------------------------------------ ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #12-14 ******************************