Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #12-15 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 12, Number 15 Monday, 16 November 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: re:childrens album TMBG: re: children's album Re: TMBG: re:childrens album Re: TMBG: re:childrens album Re: TMBG: re:childrens album TMBG: new show search on www.tmbg.net TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #12-14 Re: TMBG: re: children's album TMBG: Re:children's album Re: TMBG: re:childrens album 1/2 TMBG: Simpsons TMBG: Re: Children's Album Re: TMBG: re:childrens album TMBG: online poll Re: TMBG: re:childrens album TMBG: Working Undercover For The Lyrics Re: TMBG: re:childrens album Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Gweeg@aol.com Message-ID: <721edd12.364e976e@aol.com> Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 03:57:18 EST Subject: TMBG: re:childrens album In a message dated 11/15/98 1:05:42 AM Central Standard Time, owner-tmbg- digest@tmbg.org writes: << my point exactly. what is also more likely to happen is if they released an album under a different name who the hell's going to buy it other that the people who already know that it's They Might Be Giants, which is already an established name >> Just look at MONOPUFF!!!! they will never be taken seriously if tmbg brings out a kiddie song collection. even if it does carry the tmbg name it wont do as well as one of their regular albums! ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 09:02:22 EST Subject: TMBG: re: children's album i just deleted the mail by accident, but i just read a post where someone said "they will never be taken seriously if they release a children's album!" ...uh... are they really taken seriously now? sarah ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 10:31:57 -0600 (CST) From: Jim Subject: Re: TMBG: re:childrens album Message-ID: On Sun, 15 Nov 1998 Gweeg@aol.com wrote: > Just look at MONOPUFF!!!! they will never be taken seriously if tmbg brings > out a kiddie song collection. even if it does carry the tmbg name it wont do > as well as one of their regular albums! Oh, yah, They're REALLY raking in the dough from Their regular albums, aren't They? C'mon, get over it already. TMBG are known for doing Their own thing, regardless of the consequences (and what really serious consequences are going to come from Them putting out a children's album, I can't imagine). Heck, if the music is really good (which, no doubt, it will be), I'll buy it. Heh. I'll probably buy it anyway, neh? ;] Jim wears his sunglasses at night so he can be whistling in the dark (dark). ------------------------------ From: Phil Jackson Message-Id: <199811151738.MAA27071@angels.heaven.net> Subject: Re: TMBG: re:childrens album Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 12:36:34 -0500 > > Just look at MONOPUFF!!!! they will never be taken seriously if tmbg brings > > out a kiddie song collection. even if it does carry the tmbg name it wont do > > as well as one of their regular albums! > > Oh, yah, They're REALLY raking in the dough from Their regular > albums, aren't They? C'mon, get over it already. TMBG are known for > doing Their own thing, regardless of the consequences (and what really > serious consequences are going to come from Them putting out a children's > album, I can't imagine). Heck, if the music is really good (which, no > doubt, it will be), I'll buy it. Heh. I'll probably buy it anyway, neh? > ;] > > Jim wears his sunglasses at night so he can be whistling > in the dark (dark). YES Jim, thank you at least someone agrees with me, I think that THEY putting out a childrens album is a great thing, i am really looking forward to it..and no i am not a child. ~Eric "Action" Jackson~ My Bootleg page and TMBG worship site Http://i.am/HellHotel [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: <4db5cd11.364f4d74@aol.com> Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 16:53:56 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: re:childrens album Think about it..they're trying to get them while their young. When the little kids become teenagers, the'll remember the good memories of their children's album, and look into their other music. Its not dumb..its smart. -Amber the Alterian, the Transcendent Mistress of the known cosmos. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 17:36:01 -0500 (EST) From: Josh Axelrad Subject: TMBG: new show search on www.tmbg.net Message-ID: Well...it needs improvement but... There is now a search engine on TMBG.net which allows you to search through all the shows. For example you can find out that they have played "Santa's Beard" and "End of the Tour" at 3 shows. (search for "santa tour" and make sure AND is selected) I know there are several problems with the script and I may get a better one, and I also know the page needs updating...but if you are bored it is pretty darn fun! http://www.tmbg.net/search.html -- Jish TMBG.net and the EFnet #TMBG Home Page http://www.tmbg.net/ ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #12-14 Message-ID: <19981115.173445.4679.2.sailormorningstar@juno.com> From: sailormorningstar@juno.com (Celeste A Majetic) Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 17:36:49 EST YES.................................I love periods. (sorry. I'm a little weird.) I'm not saying that just because other bands don't' do it...that they shouldn't! TMBG's originality and wit are what make them great! I guess you guys do have a point. I myself am also curious as to what the album may sound like. However, if Jack(flans), and the Professor(Linnell), don't have a label at the moment....as you say....don't you think they should concentrate on putting out their regular albums, which already have popularity. Why take the risk, when so many people already love them. I understand they WANT to put out a children's album...but maybe it would be wiser for them if they didn't....FOR NOW. It may lead them astray from making their regular albums.......which would be a bad thing.....I WOULD MISS THEIR INTELLIGENCE AND WIT.....which may be lost on a children's album....think about it. HOWEVER......, I'll support them on anything they want to do..... -Karen aka Celeste :P "Living is easy with eyes closed, mis-understanding all you see" -another John L.......John Lennon ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19981115175136.006d5c68@goshen.edu> Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 17:51:36 -0500 From: "Amanda Heggen" Subject: Re: TMBG: re: children's album (sorry to Phil Jackson, I accidently sent him this letter personally. I obviously haven't mastered the mailing list schpiel yet) >YES Jim, thank you at least someone agrees with me, I think that THEY >putting out a childrens album is a great thing, i am really looking forward >to it..and no i am not a child. > I agree completely. I can't wait for this album to come out. I don't know, it just seems like everybody who loves TMBG should be really excited about them doing something creative like this. I'm sure it'll rank right up there in entertainment value, and isn't that what TMBG are all about? Amanda H. Heggen ---------------------------- 'People should get beat up for stating their beliefs' -They Might Be Giants * ------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19981115175443.006dacb4@goshen.edu> Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 17:54:43 -0500 From: "Amanda Heggen" Subject: TMBG: Re:children's album >...It may lead them astray >from making their regular albums.......which would be a bad thing.....I >WOULD MISS THEIR INTELLIGENCE AND WIT.....which may be lost on a >children's album....think about it. I'd have to disagree with you there. I'll bet that the Johns would make the most witty and intelligent children's album imaginable...think about it. Amanda H. Heggen ---------------------------- 'People should get beat up for stating their beliefs' -They Might Be Giants * ------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: Batbrain99@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 20:48:11 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: re:childrens album Time to voice my opinion. I personally think the childrens album should carry the TMBG name. It's not like the public will scorn and criticize Them for putting out a children's album. If anything, They will only be recognized. I cant imagine MTV news saying "...in other news, They Might be Giants pulled a foolish stunt by releasing an album made for children. They would not comment on why they would do such a stupid thing. However, we are looking into drug use as a possible answer" If They want to put an album out, three cheers. Let the world know who did it. Or at least use a name people would relate to the current. They Might be Little Giants? ....no ~Bat"Little"Brain * ---------------------------------------------------------- For all of you who thought Stephen King wrote Thinner... ha! I happen to own the book, and one can clearly see it was written by Richard Bachman! ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 20:42:54 -0500 Subject: 1/2 TMBG: Simpsons Message-ID: <19981115.204324.4366.0.gray42@juno.com> Yay Pink Floyds walking hammers and the term "Freak Flag" were used in the same episode of Simpsons tonight, and after I'd been listening to the Wall all day :) Geesh, I hope they get John and John as guest voices sometime on their show, now wouldn't that be great :D Mysterio Gal (Hotel Detective) "It's like being the world's tallest midget." --Flansburgh MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 22:04:32 -0500 (EST) From: Sean Stolon Subject: TMBG: Re: Children's Album Message-ID: Well, Trout Fishing in America plays two shows, one for children and one for adults, so in answer to your question, yes I have heard of a band that puts out a new children's album ------------------------------ From: wagner@mindspring.com Message-ID: <00a401be110f$9b970560$876256d1@computer> Subject: Re: TMBG: re:childrens album Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 22:17:11 -0500 >For all of you who thought Stephen King wrote Thinner... ha! I happen to own >the book, and one can clearly see it was written by Richard Bachman! maybe i'm mistaken, but isn't "Richard Bachman" Stephen King's alternate pen name? david ------------------------------ From: Phil Jackson Message-Id: <199811160400.XAA16251@angels.heaven.net> Subject: TMBG: online poll Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 22:58:57 -0500 what was the addy for the man o the century? ~Eric "Action" Jackson~ My Bootleg page and TMBG worship site Http://i.am/HellHotel [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 23:27:58 -0600 (CST) From: Jim Subject: Re: TMBG: re:childrens album Message-ID: On Sun, 15 Nov 1998 wagner@mindspring.com wrote: > >For all of you who thought Stephen King wrote Thinner... ha! I happen to > >own the book, and one can clearly see it was written by Richard > >Bachman! > maybe i'm mistaken, but isn't "Richard Bachman" Stephen King's alternate > pen name? I believe that statement was meant to be taken as a joke. Jim is the Dread Pirate Robbins! ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 23:22:21 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: From: "K.C." Subject: TMBG: Working Undercover For The Lyrics Does anyone have the lyrics for Working Undercover For The Man? I've been trying to decipher them from TDK's sounds, but they aren't clear as day just yet. I wish I remembered more from when I heard it live... ah well. ------------------------------ From: "Christina" Subject: Re: TMBG: re:childrens album Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 21:02:42 -0800 Message-ID: <01be111e$575a9d80$ebf3adce@cak4748> Yep. You are correct - Stephen King wrote "Thinner" & "The Bachman Books" under his pseudonym of Richard Bachman. -----Original Message----- From: wagner@mindspring.com To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: Sunday, November 15, 1998 7:18 PM Subject: Re: TMBG: re:childrens album > >>For all of you who thought Stephen King wrote Thinner... ha! I happen to >own >>the book, and one can clearly see it was written by Richard Bachman! >maybe i'm mistaken, but isn't "Richard Bachman" Stephen King's alternate pen >name? >david > > [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/x-vcard)] ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #12-15 ******************************