Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #12-16 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 12, Number 16 Tuesday, 17 November 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ TMBG: more childrens album Re: TMBG: Children's Album TMBG: tmbg.net & The Simpsons Re: 1/2 TMBG: Simpsons Non-TMBG: Stephen King TMBG: children's album TMBG: more kiddie album stuff TMBG: Children's album + a bonus dream! Re: Non-TMBG: Stephen King Re: TMBG: Children's album + a bonus dream! Re: TMBG: Children's album + a bonus dream! TMBG: more and more and more and more..... TMBG: Children's Album dream... Non- TMBG: Back on the list TMBG: The radio stinks! TMBG: VW Bus gets a Hug TMBG: johnathan southworth NONTMBG Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 03:15:01 -0500 (EST) From: Majordomo Message-Id: <199811160815.DAA08121@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT When you send a message to the list you are sending messages to hundreds of people. Make sure that your message is one that hundreds of people need to read. Do not send "me too" messages to the list. Do not send messages about non-tmbg topics to the list. Hold private conversations in private e-mail. Sending messages that the list administrator deems off topic will result in your being removed from the list. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 08:05:59 -0600 (CST) Message-Id: <199811161405.IAA07712@sendit.sendit.NoDak.edu> From: " " Subject: TMBG: more childrens album I would just like to state my opinion that any TMBG is good TMBG. As far as the "no one will take them seriously" argument, I recall a collection of artists putting out a CD of Saturday morning cartoon themes...do we now disregard them as musicians? No, in fact we enjoy the music. One of the great things (I think) about TMBG is that they do what they want and do not conform to the sound that is at no. 1 on the charts...I find it natural for them to do a childrens album (remember the talk about the TV show?) Anyway, I have wasted enough of everybody's precious time... Tryppy tryptophane@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 09:36:15 -0500 (EST) From: Fred Boak Subject: Re: TMBG: Children's Album Message-Id: Organization: WordStock Previously, Karen (a/k/a Celeste) was overheard saying ... > > Children's Album??? I'm sorry...if my comments are totally wrong > or off.....but I've never heard about this. > I agree with....Gweeg@aol.com....if TMBG want to make a > children's album that's a-ok with me.....but I hope for their sake that > they use a different name....I mean, come on! What's the point in using a different name? If it's John & John, then it's TMBG ... John & John by any other name would still sound as Giant-like (apologies to Billy S). > How often do you hear > about a band putting out a children's Album??? Have you ever turned on > the radio to hear the DJ say...."Marilyn Manson"...has just put out a > children's album...(god forbid)....or that "The Presidents of the US of > America" have..............NOT VERY OFTEN! How about NRBQ, Los Lobos, Taj Mahal, the Roches? Plus all the actors, actresses, and musicians who did those Folktale recordings? Or how about all of the current groups & musicians who re-recorded the GrammarRock, MathRock, etc songs? How about all of the stars (actors, actresses, dancers, musicians) who have made appearances on Sesame Street? > Sure....the album may have > popularity with the younger kiddies...But think about it! I have ... I think it's a swell idea, or at least, there's nothing WRONG with it, if it's what John & John WANT to do. > They already > have a good thing going! My little cousin who is five years old LOVES > TMBG already!....(THANX TO ME!)..sure she doesn't fully understand what > they are talking about...or read a theme into their songs......but that's > not the point..................... > My point is....that they have no need for such an album.....as > long as they keep putting out NORMAL (Normal in the sense that the album > is still GIANTISH - hey I invented a new word!)...they'll do fine. > OK...I'll shut my mouth now! > -Karen aka Celeste :P I think you're saying that YOU have no need for such an album. It sounds as if the Johns DO have a need to make such an album. And really, that's the most important thing. They're not out there to make US happy. At least, I'm pretty sure that's not their primary goal. My guess is that it'll still be a cool record. The Roches children's album is great. NRBQ play many songs off of their children's album at their "adult" concerts. It hasn't changed them one bit. - Fred. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 11:52:01 -0500 (EST) From: "Jason A. Glastetter" Subject: TMBG: tmbg.net & The Simpsons Message-ID: Hey, although I have not yet tried out the search engine on tmbg.net, it sounds great! One suggestion or recomendation I have (I got this idea from SOul COughing Underground, btw) is little stars or X's or something next to the show indicating if a known bootleg of the show exists. I know I've been looking for a copy of the 4/3/98 show forever & have determined that none exists. If I had someplace to check (yeah, TDK has a lot, TMBGirl too), but still, there are all those little collections that have weird, odd performances...just a thought... Oh yeah, you'll know there's a Simpsons connection when the following happens: Maggie learns to play the accordian, her accordian instructor is none other than the incomprable John Linnell. Bart writes on the chalkboard: "I am neither a real doctor, nor an actual worm..." Lisa plays "No One Knows My Plan" as her sax solo. John Flansburgh gueststars as the voice of a new "Itchy & Scratchy" character. jason "I smell of monkeys" glastetter ========================================= http://www.poingly.com Home of the infamous Poingly online game! ========================================= ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 08:45:24 -0800 From: Bob Gonsalves Subject: Re: 1/2 TMBG: Simpsons >Yay Pink Floyds walking hammers and the term "Freak Flag" were used in >the same episode of Simpsons tonight, and after I'd been listening to the >Wall all day :) Geesh, I hope they get John and John as guest voices >sometime on their show, now wouldn't that be great :D There was also a sign with "Severe Tire Damage" on it... ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19981116121520.006db8d0@goshen.edu> Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 12:15:20 -0500 From: "Amanda Heggen" Subject: Non-TMBG: Stephen King It's funny that you mentioned 'Thinner'. I never talk about Stephen King, but just yesterday I was telling someone that 'Thinner' was the worst book I've ever read. At 09:02 PM 11/15/98 -0800, you wrote: >Yep. You are correct - Stephen King wrote "Thinner" & "The Bachman Books" >under his pseudonym of Richard Bachman. > >>>For all of you who thought Stephen King wrote Thinner... ha! I happen to >>own >>>the book, and one can clearly see it was written by Richard Bachman! >>maybe i'm mistaken, but isn't "Richard Bachman" Stephen King's alternate >pen >>name? >>david Amanda H. Heggen ---------------------------- 'People should get beat up for stating their beliefs' -They Might Be Giants * ------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 13:47:42 -0500 (EST) From: LN Subject: TMBG: children's album Message-ID: hey y'all, at least they're not putting out a Cristmas album (O Tannunbaum doesn't count), that's the only thing about bands and different material that really bums me out! Of course, I don't listen to people like the Backstreet Boys in the first place... 'cept for that coool gothy video. Speaking of videos, MTV is having a new music week, they SHOULd play Dr. Worm, DAMNIT! Randomness rules the earth with a hint of rainbow essence! -=ellen=- "Writing about art is like dancing about architecture." ------------------------------ From: Gweeg@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 14:11:52 EST Subject: TMBG: more kiddie album stuff You seem to forget that if John and John make an album together it will sound exactly the same as a TMBG album but it just wont carry the name TMBG. thats all i'm saying. i'm just saying that they want to be taken seriously, so if thats the case why not leave off the TMBG name. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 15:33:56 -0500 (EST) From: Beth Connell Subject: TMBG: Children's album + a bonus dream! Message-ID: Personally, I think it's a wonderful idea, and I know that when it comes out, I'll wind up purchasing it and saving it for when I have children. It doesn't matter if people percieve it as a mistake for the band, or think that it's just not something they should concentrate on...after all, they do what they want to do musically, as is their right. People may have differing opinions, but that's basically what it comes down to. I feel that the Johns would (as, IMHO, they always do) put out a good-quality product. Not to mention that it would likely be an album filled with songs that would be not only fun to listen to, but fun to learn by. I would much rather buy a product for my future children that I know would be a good learning tool, and I strongly believe that the Johns would be able to put out such a product. So when it comes out, I'll buy it and save it for when I do have children. Speaking of children - I had a dream last night where I met Linnell after a show and he had his wife and their child with them. It was a little girl - she was about 6 months old in the dream, and utterly adorable. I'll be very smug if it's actually a little girl. :) Beth -<*>- http://www.cgicafe.com/~soulfire | "I want to raise my freak flag higher and higher..." -TMBG | "Rock Climbing, Joel. Rock Climbing." -Tom Servo, MST3K | "I love humans. Always seeing patterns in things that aren't there." -Dr. Who (8th Doctor) | Odangos, anyone? -<*>- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981116211741.26417.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Stephen King Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 13:17:40 PST >>>maybe i'm mistaken, but isn't "Richard Bachman" Stephen King's alternate >>pen >>>name? Yep, like Samuel Clemmens and Mark Twain, Stephen King has also written "The Regulaters" (one of my favorite King books) under Richard Bachman. If you read the inside flaps (or back cover, it depends) it will say that Richard Bachman died in 1985, and this is his first poast-death book. Also, in the local library, all Bachman books are labled as "King". Watch the movie Thinner, and I beleive it will say something about Stephen King. Well, that's all I have to say. Keep cool, and get interesting! Josh Buckland: One of the biggest Stephen King fans ever!!! dilbert_2000@hotmail.com ICQ#: 17262308 contact me! http://profiles.yahoo.com/LeChuck/ "Eat it 'till ya choke, you sick twisted fuck!!!" -Stepken King's "Misery" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 14:56:16 -0700 (MST) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Children's album + a bonus dream! Message-ID: On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, Beth Connell wrote: > I'll be very smug if it's actually a little girl. :) 50% chance -- not bad odds with smugness at stake! :) --jim kuemmerle, more than 50% odd, less than 50% bad... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 15:05:46 -0600 (CST) From: rogers@AC.GRIN.EDU Subject: Re: TMBG: Children's album + a bonus dream! Message-id: This Is cool. But I beleive that adults will enjoy this album as much as kids. One thing I have notices while listening to Their albums, especially Apollo 18, is that cartain songs(Dinner Bell,Mammal) sound like kids songs. I don't think the children's ablum will sound that different than their previous work, though I imagine ther lyrics will will be different ("Mommy, I dont want my dance instructor to push me down into an open grave!") --Jamal On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, Beth Connell wrote: > Personally, I think it's a wonderful idea, and I know that when it comes > out, I'll wind up purchasing it and saving it for when I have children. It ------------------------------ From: "AugieWan" Subject: TMBG: more and more and more and more..... Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 18:13:06 -0500 Message-ID: <002601be11b6$aae02950$48b0e7d0@cheesehead> It's quite simple people, if you like songs such as James K Polk, Mammal, Istanbul, Particleman, Why Does the Sun Shine?, and the like, you will like a Kid's Album from TMBG. These are the type of songs that came to mind when I heard about this. Heck, I bet you could take their whole backlog of songs and make a full Kid's album out of it! It would probably sell very well marketed as a Kid's Album even though all the songs were already out there. How much better for all of us and the Giants it will be if it's all new material?!?! Suck it up people!!!!! AugieWan ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: <9d4336b.3650b22a@aol.com> Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 18:15:54 EST Subject: TMBG: Children's Album dream... All this talk of a TMBG children's album inspired SOMETHING in my brain to dream last night... The John were on Sesame Street. No lie. The only thing I really remember is that one of the newer, more obnoxious and kid-friendly puppets was upset about something, and the Johns sang the puppet a song... IIRC, it was, of *all* songs, "4 of 2".... ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981116235402.18513.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: Non- TMBG: Back on the list Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 15:54:01 PST >so i take it you're back on the list again? > Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy. To get right to the point, never... NEVER, in the history of this list, have I ever left. I was just bored to tears with the current posts. "And I'll lie that the list's unapealing all the time, I said I'm feeling fine but the list is shot to hell. Shot to hell, shot to hell, and the list's unapealing all the time....." Well, that's the new parody, I guess...... Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com ICQ#: 17262308 contact me! http://profiles.yahoo.com/LeChuck/ Mandrake: Colonel! Colonel, I must know what you think has been going on here! Guano: You wanna know what I think? Mandrake: Yes! Guano: I think you're some kind of deviated prevert. I think General Ripper found out about your preversion, and you were organizing some kind of mutiny of preverts. Now MOVE!! --"Dr. Strangelove OR How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: The radio stinks! Message-ID: <19981116.205449.4511.0.sailormorningstar@juno.com> From: sailormorningstar@juno.com (Celeste A Majetic) Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 20:56:48 EST You won't believe what happened!!!!!! ERRRRR This summer, my favorite local radio station had a concert with several bands, of which was included...none other than TMBG! During that time.....the station played their songs quite frequently....but now....they don't paly their music at all! So me....who missed the concert....wanted to hear Doctor Worm....(I don't have enough money for the album yet, and was hoping to tape the song.)....Called up the radio station.......the conversation went like this... Radio guy: The edge Me: Say...how come you guys never play TMBG anymore? Radio JERK: Because they suck!!!!!!!!!!!! Me: Are you crazy...no they don't!!!!!!!!! THEY RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Radio **shole: No....No....Im sorry...they suck....Why do you listen to them anyway???....You need to broaden your musical horizons. Me: No..you need to broaden your horizons!!.....By the way....if they suck so much.......then why were they in Edgefest? (The concert.) Radio Guy: Listen I can't waste anymore time on this. Me: PLEAASSSSSEEEE.......You have to play Doctor Worm. Radio Guy: (hangs up on me.) What Jerks!!!!!!!!.....why the heck did they bother bringing them to town if they won't even play their music....hypocrites!! -Karen aka Celeste :P P.S.. > I cant imagine MTV news saying"...in other news, They Might be Giants pulled a >foolish stunt by releasing an album >made for children. They would not comment >on why they would do such a stupid >thing. However, we are looking into drug use >as a possible answer" hehe funny...you have a point....I don't think they would be criticized.... Just one thing...not to be critical....but the only drug TMBG would ever take would be caffeine...Jack and the professor are too good for drugs. ( Not that you said they did.....just have to correct you...im annoying that way.) "Living Is Easy With Eyes Closed, Mis-Understanding All You See." -John Lennon ....another John L! ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Spoonerism@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 22:15:19 EST Subject: TMBG: VW Bus gets a Hug Hello all. I was at the Tori Amos concert in Amherst, MA this Sunday, and I parked right next to a big yellow Volkswagen Bus. When I walked around next to it, I saw a big bumper sticker in the window that said "They Might Be Giants" in that Flansy-block lettering that we all know and love. So, I gave the Bus a big hug. If anyone here has that bus, I just thought you might like to know that it's got just a little more Connecticut love now :) -CAsey (p.s. Tori Amos was incredible!) ------------------------------ From: Jeremy Skrenes Subject: TMBG: johnathan southworth NONTMBG Message-ID: Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 21:22:37 -0500 i just heard this guy named johnothan southworth. he's a canadian songwriter, and in a single song he managed to cram in 50 years worth of pop music from surf guitar to punk to burt bacharach to david bowie to 80s pop to lounge to 70s sitar stuff and more. that's the first track of his cd, and afterwards he kind of calms down, but he is still all over the place and his lyrics are amazing. definetly check him out if you get the chance. sorry to clog the list with this, but if you hear him, you'll understand. jeremy * ----------------------------------------- Jeremy Skrenes Email: Jeremy.Skrenes@valpo.edu Valparaiso University ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #12-16 ******************************