Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #12-17 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 12, Number 17 Wednesday, 18 November 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: More unsolicited thoughts on the children's album Subject: Re: 1/2 TMBG: Simpsons TMBG: kids album & pink album *vinyl* scanned Re: 1/2 TMBG: Simpsons TMBG: non-tmbg MOVIE REVIEWS Re: 1/2 TMBG: Simpsons TMBG: Kids Music? Re: TMBG: Kids Music? Re: 1/2 TMBG: Simpsons NON-TMBG: Aquabats TMBG: TMBG-ish: Sheet music? Re: 1/2 TMBG: Simpsons TMBG: TMBG-ish: Sheet Music? Re: 1/2 TMBG: Simpsons Re: TMBG: CHILDREN'S ALBUM!!!?? Re: NON-TMBG: Aquabats Re: NON-TMBG: Aquabats (none) TMBG: Review #1: Brian Dewan 11/11/98 in NYC :) TMBG: Review #2: Laura Cantrell 11/16/98 in NYC TMBG: Review #3: Michael Shelley 11/16/98 in NYC Re: TMBG: Review #1: Brian Dewan 11/11/98 in NYC :) Re: NON-TMBG: Aquabats Re: TMBG: Review #1: Brian Dewan 11/11/98 in NYC :) TMBG: Live Dr. Worm on C.D. Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <3.0.32.19981116234213.0076e77c@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 23:42:18 -0800 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: More unsolicited thoughts on the children's album At 02:04 AM 11/17/98 -0500, you wrote: >Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 15:33:56 -0500 (EST) >From: Beth Connell >Subject: TMBG: Children's album + a bonus dream! >Message-ID: Beth! Long time no see! What you do? I'm going to lift my voice in song and agree with the other pro-kiddie-album people. I think it's wonderful that there exists music that parents and kids can share and that is worth the sharing. I saw more children at a single Those Darn Accordions! concert (btw, I *do* recommend them for all you accordion freaks... they're supposed to be on Penn & Teller's Sin City thingy soon, so keep an eye out) than I've seen at all my previous concerts combined. My best friend Jessica routinely brings her 10-year-old brother and her parents to Eddie From Ohio concerts, and everyone has a great time. They Might Be Giants make wonderful music, music that's worth sharing with one's parents and/or one's kids. Get them hooked on the good stuff before they discover "Barney's Greatest Hits, Vol. XII", says me. Show them what intelligent adults listen to before MTV shows up and screams that all the big kids and all the cool kids listen to . > Me: Say...how come you guys never play TMBG anymore? > Radio JERK: Because they suck!!!!!!!!!!!! Aw man! :( That bites. :( Honestly, some people...! Have you considered complaining to the station? You asked a straightforward question, and they insulted you *and* your musical taste. A simple, tactful "I'm sorry, they're not on our playlist" would have sufficed. --nicole twn not wanting to sow the seed of vengeance, but wanting to help spread the message that rudeness is unnecessary... *** "When your dream comes true, you're out one dream."--The Nields Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn ICQ #11984736 Public PGP key at http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn/key.html ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3651498F.8BB7D2A6@pacificnet.net> Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 03:01:55 -0700 From: BONGO Subject: Subject: Re: 1/2 TMBG: Simpsons > > >Yay Pink Floyds walking hammers and the term "Freak Flag" were used in > >the same episode of Simpsons tonight, and after I'd been listening to the > >Wall all day :) Geesh, I hope they get John and John as guest voices > >sometime on their show, now wouldn't that be great :D > > There was also a sign with "Severe Tire Damage" on it... > Of course these are all coincidences, right? I think so. Yet it seems to me that The Simpsons' writer would appreciate TMBG. By the way, what do the marching hammers from Pink Floyd's The Wall have to do with the 60's? That album was from the late 70's! (And to think they made fun of poor Homer for thinking Uptown Girl was a 60's song.) -B O N G O [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 07:02:30 EST Subject: TMBG: kids album & pink album *vinyl* scanned In a message dated 11/17/98 2:46:26 AM, ana.ng@tmbg.org writes: >Get them >hooked on the good stuff before they discover "Barney's Greatest Hits, >Vol. >XII", says me. Show them what intelligent adults listen to before MTV >shows up and screams that all the big kids and all the cool kids listen >to >. indeed. i've been training my little sister on TMBG since she was 5... :) she knows that Hanson, Spice Girls, and the Backstreet Boys are evil. now at almost 9, she's coverting her friends.. in fact, the little Leonardo Dicaprio- lovin'* girls across the street are saving their money to buy Then. so my li'l sis has been to a few tmbg shows, and moxy fruvous, and barenaked ladies and sloan... :) i think her favourite band is moxy fruvous 'cause they all remember her and jian calls her "my girlfriend". *luckily my sis has learned he's evil too. ;) she likes Dave Foley. can't wait for A Bug's Life. enough on this. hey! okay, so i just scanned the sides to the vinyl pink album, with the very cute pictures on them... i plan on uploading them here in 2 seconds: http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Disco/9687/tmbg/sidea.jpg http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Disco/9687/tmbg/sideb.jpg sarah ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 10:24:39 -0500 Subject: Re: 1/2 TMBG: Simpsons Message-ID: <19981117.102440.13694.0.Superman75@juno.com> From: superman75@juno.com (Adam Schaaf) hi. > Of course these are all coincidences, right? I think so. Yet >it seems to me that The Simpsons' writer would appreciate TMBG. i seem to recall in the episode with poochie the rockin' dog, tha one of the writers in the board meeting was wearing a shirt with the apollo 18 cover. or at least all you could see was the squid, but i'm damn sure that's what it was supposed to be. well, i'm off to every dunkin' donuts in south jersery for some free coffee during customer appreciation day. your underking of pop trivia, adam schaaf * ------------------------------------------ Philly Tour Dates Dec. 3 - Liz Phair Dec. 12 - The Bouncing Souls * ------------------------------------------ ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3651CAA6.237203A5@tmbg.org> Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 14:12:38 -0500 From: chapman Subject: TMBG: non-tmbg MOVIE REVIEWS If you want to see a stupid movie review sight run by some even stupider movie reviewers go here http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Trailer/5350/Openskull.html . I sent them some insulting mail I think you should do the same. History of Skulldog is cool though. Skulldog? Rich ------------------------------ Subject: Re: 1/2 TMBG: Simpsons Message-ID: <19981117.153940.10319.0.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A Klein) Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 14:41:49 EST Back when The Simpsons were just horrid doodles on the Tracy Ulman show, there was one episode where they went to an aquarium and Lisa said "I want to see a whale fight a giant squid". Works for me as a TMBG reference. Derek "What is everyone staring at?" ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 10:04:35 -1000 From: "Marc Myer" Subject: TMBG: Kids Music? Let's take the other view. Maybe it's an album intended for their regular audience, but is CALLED a Children's album, just for interest. Look at us--everybody is interested and has an opinion. We listies can't stop talking about it! As for "Childrens' music", well, my 5-year old daughter loves TMBG and asks intelligent questions about the songs: For example, she knows all about mammals, about the sun's composition, and all seventeen (?) parts of Fingertips. To her, Barney is the loveable drunk on the Simpsons. She does, however, do a great ballet to "Istanbul", and yes, she knows what the song is talking about. Give the Johns credit--their music is theirs, regardless of what it is called. marco ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 14:17:27 -0600 From: Jason Arnold Subject: Re: TMBG: Kids Music? Message-id: My take on this is that they are coming out with 2 albums one regular and one children's. At least that's what I infer from the articles I have read. So I have no problems with them coming out with a children's album called "No." And if what i've read is wrong then I still have no problem with them coming out with a children's album. At 2:04 PM -0600 11/17/98, Marc Myer wrote: >Let's take the other view. Maybe it's an album intended for their regular >audience, but is CALLED a Children's album, just for interest. Look at >us--everybody is interested and has an opinion. We listies can't stop >talking about it! >As for "Childrens' music", well, my 5-year old daughter loves TMBG and >asks intelligent questions about the songs: For example, she knows all >about mammals, about the sun's composition, and all seventeen (?) parts of >Fingertips. To her, Barney is the loveable drunk on the Simpsons. >She does, however, do a great ballet to "Istanbul", and yes, she knows >what the song is talking about. >Give the Johns credit--their music is theirs, regardless of what it is called. >marco ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 15:21:43 -0500 From: Destin Berthelot Subject: Re: 1/2 TMBG: Simpsons Message-id: <3651DAD7.52A8E4C0@rollins.edu> Considering the simpsons were on the tracy ullman show prior to 1990 and apollo 18 came out in 1992, that's pretty danged generous of you. :) Derek A Klein wrote: > > Back when The Simpsons were just horrid doodles on the Tracy Ulman show, > there was one episode where they went to an aquarium and Lisa said "I > want to see a whale fight a giant squid". Works for me as a TMBG > reference. > > Derek > "What is everyone staring at?" > > ___________________________________________________________________ > You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. > Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html > or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Destin Berthelot | "All persons, http://fox.rollins.edu/~dberthelot/ | living or dead, | are purely They Might Be Giants Visual Discography: | coincidental." http://members.xoom.com/theymightbe/ | -Kurt Vonnegut ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981117205636.2650.rocketmail@send204.yahoomail.com> Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 12:56:36 -0800 (PST) From: Happy Cow Subject: NON-TMBG: Aquabats Has anyone here ever heard of a group called The Aquabats??? I just heard one of their songs the other day, and I was wondering if anyone knew anything about them. == ~Connie~ "Life is three-dimensional...unless you live in the T.V." _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: Samman85@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 16:30:04 EST Subject: TMBG: TMBG-ish: Sheet music? Hey, my name is Sam, and I've lurked here for a couple of weeks. Now, I bring my tender hide out into the open to ask a question: Does any They Might Be Giants sheet music exist? I play the trumpet, which would make such a search even harder, but if anyone knows anything about it, I'd be infinitely grateful. Sam ------------------------------ Message-ID: <002201be1272$f665f000$a8b3a4c1@squid> From: "Uncle Squid" Subject: Re: 1/2 TMBG: Simpsons Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 21:40:39 -0000 -----Original Message----- From: Derek A Klein To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: 17 November 1998 19:44 Subject: Re: 1/2 TMBG: Simpsons >Back when The Simpsons were just horrid doodles on the Tracy Ulman show, >there was one episode where they went to an aquarium and Lisa said "I >want to see a whale fight a giant squid". Works for me as a TMBG >reference. Whales are wusses (and I'd know!) ----------------------- Uncle Squid xxx Hot from Hell and Hades for Gentlemen and Ladies xxx www.keme.co.uk/~thelimes/cols/ ICQ: 12605535 ----------------------- "I should think, in about a year, I will write to you my dear, and tell you of my love life now. I'll write about a beautiful girl, with model looks who rules my world, just to get you back, you cow" -- Bennet "Built to last" ------------------------------ From: Tmbg4life@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 19:08:49 EST Subject: TMBG: TMBG-ish: Sheet Music? um i already tried the sheet music trick once and it didn't work ------------------------------ From: Batbrain99@aol.com Message-ID: <6c376514.36521a9d@aol.com> Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 19:53:49 EST Subject: Re: 1/2 TMBG: Simpsons Oh, yeah, and I remember one simpsons where a kid is famous for eating worms! and he just sits there and...well..he eats worms! I'm not sure if they were doctors or not, but... I mean.. worms! How about that! ~Bat"worms!"Brain * ----------------------------------- "My fifteen minutes of fame are over" ~worm eating kid ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 18:24:26 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: CHILDREN'S ALBUM!!!?? Message-ID: <19981117.183959.3830.17.TMBgirl@juno.com> > >flansburgh married a woman with two (?) children. linnell's is en >route. are you sure that robin has 2 kids? i thot that was a total fake-rumor someone started (a la route of alex pretending to be flansburgh on IRC... that was fun stuff) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 20:55:50 -0500 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Aquabats Message-ID: <19981117.205635.4350.0.Mr.Train@juno.com> On Tue, 17 Nov 1998 12:56:36 -0800 (PST) Happy Cow writes: >Has anyone here ever heard of a group called The Aquabats??? I just >heard one of their songs the other day, and I was wondering if anyone >knew anything about them. > They are pretty much all Ska... I think... the only song I've heard is Super Rad... which is Super Rad... it is also cool that they wear those wicked costumes!! Also, Bobcat Goldthwait (Zed from Police Academy) directed the Super Rad video... so I heard him say on LoveLines I gotta check out that CD soon... after I work through this Jon Spencer Blues Explosion thing I'm going through... Tim, a pound of feathers & a pound of gold Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update: Dark and Metric Last CD purchase: Full Swing - Straight Up / Fear Of Pop - Vol. 1 / Ivy - Apartment Life Favorite mainstream song: Talk About The Blues - JSBX > >== >~Connie~ > >"Life is three-dimensional...unless you live in the T.V." ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Moniska321@aol.com Message-ID: <5ba29a82.365234e6@aol.com> Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 21:45:58 EST Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Aquabats I am a fan of the Aquabats myself. I have seen them in concert a couple of times and they put on a great show. They are pretty well known for their funny lyrics. I know they have at least a couple of songs about chickens but I don't know any of the names. They are definately a cool band to check out though... ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981117.215133.4487.3.sailormorningstar@juno.com> From: sailormorningstar@juno.com (Celeste A Majetic) Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 21:55:10 EST >All this talk of a TMBG children's album inspired SOMETHING in my brain to >dream last night... The John were on Sesame Street. No lie. The only thing I >really remember is that one of the newer, more obnoxious and kid-friendly >puppets was upset about something, and the Johns sang the puppet a song... >IIRC, it was, of *all* songs, "4 of 2".... Speaking of odd dreams.... Last night I dreamt that John Linnell wrote a book, and I wanted to read it, really bad, because I um...hehehe...seem to have a tiny eeensy weensy little crush on him...Anyway I went to the store to find it and after searching for a while, to my own misery, I didn't find it. Then, as I was walking out door, I ran into Flans and Linn! Except....for some odd reason..they're skin was blue...(don't ask, I don't know) and they gave me an autographed copy! Then....when I got home....the book was in shrink rap, and I didn't want to take off the wrap because the Johns signed it....so I went to the library and got a copy! Weird huh? -Karen aka Celeste :P "Living Is Easy With Eyes Closed, Mis-Understanding All You See" -John Lennon another fab John L! ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 19:37:18 -0700 Subject: TMBG: Review #1: Brian Dewan 11/11/98 in NYC :) Message-ID: <19981117.202350.4462.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> hEY HEY! So, I'm back from my "hello" trip to NYC and ready to lay upon each and every one of you my long-winded reviews of the shows. Read them in order, they're like a book and it's not choose your own adventure. If you're really impatient... all the TMBG content in these messages comes at the Laura Cantrell and Michael Shelley reviews (yeahyeah flansy was there)... As most of you know by now, i live in denver. It's a long trip to NYC. I always just assumed that if i did ever decide to blow my money on a trip out there it would be for TMBG shows... not so. So it all started on November 10th early in the morning when i headed over to the airport to fly out to NY. no such luck... my plane was malfunctioning and we ended up making an emergency landing in Milwaukee... wow, was that frightening. So anyways they fly us into Chicago hours later and i'm told that the only flight to the east coast that they can book me on is to providence the next morning. Erg! that meant i missed the Moxy Fruvous and Violent Femmes show in NYC that evening at Irving Plaza :( I took the plane to Providence the next morning and then took a train to NYC. Somewhere inbetween i lost my '93 Brian Dewan Hello CD. Arriving just in time to drop my stuff off at the princeton club (what would become my residence/hotel for the week where my aunt was staying) right outside of Times Square and head to the show... this involved my first ever subway ride... downtown on the N/R to st. marks place (which you all know about from "on the drag") what an introduction to the city. NOVEMBER 11th: BRAIN DEWAN IN NYC @ CONEY ISLAND HIGH By this point i had been awake for 3 days straight... So anyways, my aunt and i headed over to the show and ended up walking in just as brian started. The place was a tiny bar (if you live in denver it reminded me totally of "the snake pit" on 13th where all the punk bands play... in fact... 13th reminds me a bit of st. marks) and there were only about 20 people in the audience. Brian's set was extremely cool, i was too exhausted to even think about writing out the set-list and now, the show is just a blur... cadavers, the bin song (what they deserve), and the letter were all played... and uh... geez... anyways, after brian's solo set i talked to him for a bit, and since i was so bummed about losing my CD i asked him if he had any extras... no, but he did say that his new album is in the works and it'll be out in the very near future... NOT on bar-none cuz "they're just a bunch of fuck-ups over there" I was falling asleep at the show so i left... if anyone stayed for deuce gimlet lemme know how that was :) go to review #2! take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 19:45:41 -0700 Subject: TMBG: Review #2: Laura Cantrell 11/16/98 in NYC Message-ID: <19981117.202350.4462.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> So... you want some TMBG content? NOVEMBER 16th: LAURA CANTRELL IN NYC @ THE FEZ allright, by this time i pretty much had my bearings in Manhattan (mostly thanks to a swanky little gig i was invited to thanks to a twisted route of connections i have in NY that all lead to Peter Jennings... Artwalk NY '98... heh i was on TV (NY1)) anyways, i had spent a lot of time at "the puck building" which is just a few blocks from Time Cafe where the Fez is located. So a little before 7pm i headed downtown on the fine NYC subway system and was treated to a street-perfoming group "one plus one" singing some groovy a capella tunes and since the liner notes of Fruvous' albums tell me to support my local busker... Anyways, i hopped off the subway and since i was a ibt early i landed at a groovy little cafe "Master Coffee" a couple blocks away (across the street from tower records) where i had one of the strangest mocha's of my live... enough of that... A little after 8 pm we entered time cafe and paid the grand total of $5 to get in (wow i love NY!) anyways, as we were being seated we passed michael shelley so i tapped him as i walked by and said hello... Anyways, we were seated pretty much directly in front of the stage with some groovy people (one of whom was named Jordan too...she would make only the 2nd other female i've come accross with my name and of the numerous jordan's (m&f) i have met, i still have yet to find one that wasn't named after the character in the great gatsby either...) THE SHOW: Anyways, Laura Cantrell took the stage a bit later and to my delight she had in tow with her Robin Goldwasser (Flansy's wife) singing backup and sporting a Michael Shelley t-shirt... which as Laura intro'd her she looked down at her shirt and was like "I wanna be known as Michael Shelley" "Ms. Michael Shelley." Now, i had never seen her before aside from the pictures of her in her get-ups as sister puff... but she seriously "fits" with flansy :) Jay Sherman-Godfrey was groovin' on geetar. I recorded the show but don't have a set-list. The only song she played off of her hello disc was "cellar door" which was totally rockin to hear live. The show was amazing and i couldn't imagine a better opener for Michael... As far as the bootleg goes. I will not be trading it! Laura hasn't released any of her material yet to us the eager public, and well... that just makes this tape totally open to a lot of crap i don't want to get involved with or see Laura have to deal with. When/If she releases a CD i will begin to trade this show. :) sorry! stay tuned for review #3 (the best part.... and the most TMBG related... hey we're building up here!) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 20:23:15 -0700 Subject: TMBG: Review #3: Michael Shelley 11/16/98 in NYC Message-ID: <19981117.202350.4462.3.TMBgirl@juno.com> Finally... the real TMBG content... (as well as list stuff too!)... most of it's at the end: So inbetween Laura Cantrell's and Michael's set.... Michael walks up to me and says something along the lines of "hey, your hero's here" referring to a quiet John Flansburgh sitting in the back of the room. Hehee, i wish i would've told him that he's my hero not flansy :P Michael shelley hit the stage, after a short "intermission" where we were treated to some seriously groovy music... i got to hear Gerry Cheevers and the likes of Beck etc. (sorry, in denver they always play stuff like Marilyn manson and rammstein so this was really cool). NOVEMBER 16th: MICHAEL SHELLEY IN NYC @ FEZ This time Michael had 3 people playing the role of "back-up band" (one of which was Jay S-G... sporting a hat for this set). They sounded so amazingly excellent i couldn't believe it. If ever there was a time to say that a band sounded "together" this was it. They started immediately into: ---Don't somehow going from laura cantrell to don't worked extremely well :) ---Baby's in A Bad Mood ---Too Many Movies ---Summer, I Pissed You Away WOWWOWWOWWOWWOWWOW!!! extremely rockin version... so much groovier than on the album! ---Rollercoaster ---The Pill ---Going To LA at this point Michael pulls out the Japanese (?) Import of his cheeky monkey CD and reads the insert which is... as far as i can tell... supposed to be promoting the album. Needless to say, it was a jumbled pile of words i wish i could've used as my senior quote... ---That Kind Of Girl ---Monkey Man he started to complain about waiting for the F train (one i never had to take since i never made my way to brooklyn on this trip). i was just amused cuz well... we have evil buses that you inevitably end up waiting for ages for... ---Think With Your Heart ---Surfer Joan a bit of a drum solo lead into ---Jigsaw Girl he invited Laura Cantrell back up to the front of the stage... but she came from behind him and tweaked him out... ---You Were Made To Break My Heart at this point they exited the stage and the cheering began... led by our very own Flansburgh stomping his mind out in the back... so remeber kids... next time you want an encore at a TMBG show... stomping is the way to go :P ENCORE: *they came back on stage and someone asked him where he got his shirt...(i'm only adding this due to the thread of "what have you seen linnell wearing at shows.") hehee... he said he only had 3 shirts that he ever wore on stage... ***So he made a comment about the TMBG mailing list and how someone on it said that Laura Cantrell was wasted at the show at the bowery. To this Robin yelled from teh back "she was high as a kite" ---Shrink Me Down (All OVer The World) So after the show they played some Candy Butchers tracks which was groovy... cuz no one has even heard of 'em out here :) i talked to michael for a bit and then went over to the bar where flans and co. had migrated to and asked him if he'd take a picture with me... but since it was dark and my camera doesn't have a flash (i hate taking flash photos at shows cuz #1 the camera gets confiscated a lot and #2 it really annoys people) we walked over to the stage, he pulled a light down and pointed it directly at us (the only thing i can relate this to is the guitar video at the end when the light flashes over linnell, laura, and flans) and holding the camera took the picture :P Finally i asked Jay S-G for a pic just cuz he's totally awesome... and headed out the door. I was gonna ask Michael for a pic (since only like 3 of my pics from the TMBG show in denver in sept. came out and one of those was of danny w. running :)) but it was too dark... he gave me a shirt which was totally groovy of him (did i mention he's my newest hero?). I did bootleg this show... it's the best quality MS bootleg i have so far (not saying much). I will be trading this show. http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html The next morning i was invited to the NBC studios by my groovy uncle, Dr. Bob Arnot (see him on Dateline), where i was able to see a grip of cool stuff that they hide from the general public... heh, i went and sat at conan o'briens desk while he wasn't looking :P After that, i headed to LaGuardia... that's a mouthful take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html my concert calander will not be advertised here this week... ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: HallOfEyes@aol.com Message-ID: <7a097c0a.3652418b@aol.com> Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 22:39:55 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Review #1: Brian Dewan 11/11/98 in NYC :) In a message dated 11/17/98 10:36:00 PM Eastern Standard Time, tmbgirl@juno.com writes: << anyways, after brian's solo set i talked to him for a bit, and since i was so bummed about losing my CD i asked him if he had any extras... no, but he did say that his new album is in the works and it'll be out in the very near future>> Hahahahaha "[The new album] should be out this summer..."-Brian Dewan, February 97 :P To add some tmbg content, I have to do a surrealist painting of a song lyric for Art class...and I can't pick one. Don't e-mail suggestions or anything, Im suppossed to figure it out tomorrow in class...I was thinking maybe the bridge of Destination Moon or the last verse of Turn Around. Jordan ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 20:30:50 -0700 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Aquabats Message-ID: <19981117.203850.4462.4.TMBgirl@juno.com> So i replied privately but since this is now a thread i'll add my $.03 publicly... The Aquabats are such a groovy band. I've seen them live prolly about 8 times now. They are, indeed, ska and they put on an amazing live show... with the "chicken genie" and all... catch some of the magical chicken nuggets they throw out into the audience some time :) Heh, a couple years ago some of my buds and i went as the aquabats for halloween :) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 20:58:37 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: Review #1: Brian Dewan 11/11/98 in NYC :) Message-ID: <19981117.205845.4462.7.TMBgirl@juno.com> >Hahahahaha >"[The new album] should be out this summer..."-Brian Dewan, February >97 hey now... "very near future" is a very ambiguous term. I interpret it as menaing "there's enough stuff for another album and one of these days i'll compile them onto an album" take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <362AA70F.183A@stlnet.com> Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 19:42:23 -0700 From: Pat Acquisto Subject: TMBG: Live Dr. Worm on C.D. I just found out that a live version of Dr. Worm from the last Pointfest is to be released, most likely regionally, here in St. Louis, on a double c.d. that 105.7 the Point is putting out in the very near future. I believe one c.d. is just local bands and the other is recorded live performances, one being TMBG. If I find out more info I'll report to the list. nick ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #12-17 ******************************