Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #12-19 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 12, Number 19 Friday, 20 November 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: While everyone's talking about Converse shoes... Re: TMBG: Fw: usm rule <--- damn straight! -Reply NONTMBG: Converse All Stars RULE Re: TMBG: While everyone's talking about Converse shoes... Re: TMBG: While everyone's talking about Converse shoes... Re: NONTMBG: Converse All Stars RULE Re: NON-TMBG: childhood's end, birthdays... Non TMBG: Bah... NON-TMBG: Names and stuff TMBG: Off Topic - StarWars Trailer.... Re: TMBG: Off Topic - StarWars Trailer.... Re: TMBG: Off Topic - StarWars Trailer.... TMBG: Chucks Re: TMBG: Chucks TMBG: Chucks? Re: TMBG: Converse TMBG: no more converse conversation! Re: TMBG: no more converse conversation! Sorta-TMBG: All-Stars NON-TMBG: no more converse (the nature of this list revealed) Sorta-TMBG: All-Stars, and an etymology question Re: TMBG: Chucks Re: TMBG: no more converse conversation! NON TMBG: Re: TMBG: no more converse conversation! TMBG: here's a solution Re: TMBG: here's a solution Re: TMBG: here's a solution Re: TMBG: here's a solution TMBG: why mike comes up Re: TMBG: no more converse conversation! TMBG: NON-TMBG viva las converse!!! and the definition of "chucks" TMBG: Hidden messages in TMBG songs Re:NON TMBG: 4 of 2 (was TMBG: Converse) Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <19981119080528.3458.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "David Whalen" Subject: TMBG: While everyone's talking about Converse shoes... Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 00:05:26 PST I just thought I'd take a moment to quote what we were all sent when we joined the list... IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT When you send a message to the list you are sending messages to hundreds of people. Make sure that your message is one that hundreds of people need to read. Do not send "me too" messages to the list. Do not send messages about non-tmbg topics to the list. Hold private conversations in private e-mail. Sending messages that the list administrator deems off topic will result in your being removed from the list. While the first post about what shoes the Johns wear may have been relevant in a strange way, none of the following ones were of any interest to anyone but yourselves. Don't waste your time flaming me or responding to my opinions on the list - I won't reply. Just try to stay on topic, please. That's why we're all here after all. -David ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <002501be13b6$a34c1300$cbb3a4c1@squid> From: "Uncle Squid" Subject: Re: TMBG: Fw: usm rule <--- damn straight! -Reply Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 12:17:42 -0000 Are you saying TMBG will be playing in the UK next year?!!!! Richard >>> "squid@thelimes.keme.co.uk" 18/November/1998 11:05pm >>> -----Original Message----- From: Chris Churchill To: Uncle Squid Date: 18 November 1998 18:13 Subject: Re: usm rule <--- damn straight! >Hi >Do u know when tickets go on sale for They Might Giants at the london >garage next year? That is exactly what I'm saying.... YOU HEAR ME FELLOW BRITONS!?! THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS ARE PLAYING THE UK IN '99!!! Oh, how I've waited for this to happen. If they tour, I'm going to all the dates that I can. In the back of NME it said on a London Garage Ad that They were playing there in '99. I tried finding a site for the garage but I failed miserably. If you have any sources for the garage (webby URL, Phone number etc), tell me and I'll investigate for everyone who's interested. TMBG IN THE UK... OHHHH BOY! ----------------------- Uncle Squid xxx Hot from Hell and Hades for Gentlemen and Ladies xxx www.keme.co.uk/~thelimes/cols/ ICQ: 12605535 ----------------------- "I should think, in about a year, I will write to you my dear, and tell you of my love life now. I'll write about a beautiful girl, with model looks who rules my world, just to get you back, you cow" -- Bennet "Built to last" ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001901be13ba$7a1fc5e0$ca431ecf@default> From: "John Lambert" Subject: NONTMBG: Converse All Stars RULE Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 07:45:22 -0500 >anything. Although my search for a pair of kelly green All Stars has >gone unfulfilled, I do have lots of other colors, and you shouldn't >scare the children by saying they don't make them anymore. Or something. > > -Flyn I don't know where you live, but I have a pair of kelly green chucks. (All Stars to you youngens) Got them in Gatlinburg, TN at the Converse Outlet Store. $16 Brother John Green Jello who now has over 15 pair of chucks ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 05:57:33 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: While everyone's talking about Converse shoes... Message-ID: <19981119.055738.6302.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> >While the first post about what shoes the Johns wear may have been >relevant in a strange way, none of the following ones were of any >interest to anyone but yourselves. Don't waste your time flaming me >or >responding to my opinions on the list - I won't reply. Just try to >stay >on topic, please. That's why we're all here after all. oooh we must have a newbie here... everyone wave! :) wasting our time responding to your opinions *is* what we're here for. A lot of the time that means we'll end up talking about walmarts and how bad they are... or where mike leffel is... if you want TMBG 100% of the time then i'm sorry (not only because you can't find it but also because i'm truly sorry)... i'm not sure how long you've been on the list but honestly, your telling people not to post their opinions seems counterproductive to the list. and while you may have seen all those messages about converse as irrelevant. i enjoyed the thread thoruoughly... i'm guessing that prolly 90% of the list owned a pair of converse at one point in their life... i dunno, that's why we have "threads." If you're not interested in the subject just delete the e-mail (or scroll past it if you're on the digest). yes, i'm done ranting :) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html SOUL COUGHING in KTCL's "not so quiet night" :) yay! ________________________________________________________________ Get secure free e-mail that you don't need Web access to use from Juno, the world's second largest online service. Download your free software at http://www.juno.com/getit.b.html. ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <921e2c9d.36542d4d@aol.com> Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 09:38:05 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: While everyone's talking about Converse shoes... In a message dated 11/19/98 3:06:57 AM, toasty06@hotmail.com writes: >While the first post about what shoes the Johns wear may have been >relevant in a strange way, none of the following ones were of any >interest to anyone but yourselves. Don't waste your time flaming me or > >responding to my opinions on the list - I won't reply. Just try to stay > >on topic, please. That's why we're all here after all. > ...you're new here, aren't you. sarah ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <9843599d.36542ddf@aol.com> Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 09:40:31 EST Subject: Re: NONTMBG: Converse All Stars RULE In a message dated 11/19/98 7:45:41 AM, poncho@iag.net writes: >I don't know where you live, but I have a pair of kelly green chucks. >(All > >Stars to you youngens) > > > >Got them in Gatlinburg, TN at the Converse Outlet Store. $16 a converse outlet store? oooh.. man, recently, i have not been able to find a single pair of onestars... :P maybe they're just ...popular here or something. ;P sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981119154546.7975.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: childhood's end, birthdays... Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 07:45:46 PST Harf wrote: >>> Yes, I thnk it's more likely that both Lisa's comment and the A18 >>> cover >>> are references to _Childhood's End_. >> >>what's _childhood's end_? > >A great novel by Arthur C. Clarke, if I recall correctly, but I don't >recall >the squid/whale battle. It has been a long time though. ***WARNING! VERY MINOR SPOILER FOR _CHILDHOOD'S END_ AHEAD!*** One of the characters in the book stows away to the Overlords' planet in an exhibit composed of a fighting squid and whale. *********************END SPOILER************************************ Jim Kuemmerle wrote: >> Nathan, who will be 21 years old at 1:29 PM today > >happy birthday, i think! > >--jim kuemmerle, who will be 21 years old at 1:29 PM today as well. >then >again, i was 21 years old yesterday too. and the day before that... Ah, but I was EXACTLY 21 years old at 1:29 PM yesterday. -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <002001be13d7$a456c940$5a228a81@refund.rcn.nmt.edu> From: "Refund" Subject: Non TMBG: Bah... Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 09:14:10 -0700 Oh, stop complaining. :0P Honestly, if you hate the thread that much, just delete them as you read the subject lines. If you'll notice, they've been kind enough to add the Non TMBG subject header recently, just as I've done here. Personally, I thought the converse thread was funny. I hope to, someday, own my own pair of converse shoes. It will be a long and arduous journey, though. One requiring both purity of soul...and money. Ah well. Maybe next week. Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico -----Original Message----- From: David Whalen To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: Thursday, November 19, 1998 1:06 AM Subject: TMBG: While everyone's talking about Converse shoes... >I just thought I'd take a moment to quote what we were all sent when we >joined the list... > > IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT > > When you send a message to the list you are sending > messages to hundreds of people. Make sure that your > message is one that hundreds of people need to read. > Do not send "me too" messages to the list. Do not > send messages about non-tmbg topics to the list. Hold > private conversations in private e-mail. Sending > messages that the list administrator deems off topic > will result in your being removed from the list. > >While the first post about what shoes the Johns wear may have been >relevant in a strange way, none of the following ones were of any >interest to anyone but yourselves. Don't waste your time flaming me or >responding to my opinions on the list - I won't reply. Just try to stay >on topic, please. That's why we're all here after all. > >-David > >______________________________________________________ >Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981119173540.27530.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Scott Reed" Subject: NON-TMBG: Names and stuff Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 11:35:40 CST >>some groovy people (one of whom was named Jordan too...she would >>make only the 2nd other female i've come accross with my name and of >>thenumerous jordan's (m&f) i have met, i still have yet to find one >>that wasn't named after the character in the great gatsby either...) >My wife's cousin is named Jordan and is a girl AND (this would be the >bonus round) she was actually named after Michael Jordan. She was >born in the early eighties during the 1982 University of North >Carolina Tar Heels NCAA Championship Game, during which MJ excelled >and showed that one day he would be a superstar. My wife's cousin >was/is a living tribute to a basketball player. Not something I'd be >proud of... but then I'd think it was cool if someone named their >child Ondine or something. A friend of mine named her daughter Jordan, and I'm fairly certain it had little to do with the basketball star, the Great Gatsby charachter, the river, or the country, I think she just thought the name sounded nice. ---- Bjorky thinks it would be interesting if someone named their child Jenny Ondioline and could play the same. ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: "AugieWan" Subject: TMBG: Off Topic - StarWars Trailer.... Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 13:27:27 -0500 Message-ID: <000901be13ea$426b5d00$27b0e7d0@cheesehead> Hello all, I don't have any new TMBG songs for download, but I do have the new StarWars trailer if you're interested. The version from the StarWars.com site is 24 MEG and the traffic there makes it next to impossible to grab. I made a Real Video version that you can download to your harddrive and then watch. It's only 2.5 MEG and is pretty good quality! :) http://www.thespeakeasy.com/augiewan Have Fun, AugieWan _______________________________________ AugieWan augiewan@thespeakeasy.com ------------------------------ From: CPatubo@mindscape.com Message-ID: <882566C1.00683B0C.00@nvtomta.mindscape.com> Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 10:58:47 -0800 Subject: Re: TMBG: Off Topic - StarWars Trailer.... Hmm... I've got the 9 meg (160x120) and 25 meg (320x240) version of the trailer in MOV format if anyone wants it. I'll post it to my website if I get enough requests. They can be easily stuffed or zipped too. while we're on the (off)topic... >Top Things We Want to Hear Samuel L. Jackson Say in the Star Wars Prequel: > >Womp rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I'll never know, 'cause even if it >did I wouldn't eat the filthy motherfucker. > >You sendin' the Fett? Shit, Hutt, that's all you had to say! > >Yeah, Chewie's Rocky Horror got a hair problem. What's the brother gonna do? >He's a wookie. > >Hand me my lightsaber... it's the one that says, "Bad Mother Fucker." > >This is your father's lightsaber. When you absolutely, positively, have to >kill every motherfuckin stormtrooper in the room...accept no substitutes. > >Feel the Force, motherfucker. -courtney "use the force, dammit" ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 13:38:24 -0600 From: Jason Arnold Subject: Re: TMBG: Off Topic - StarWars Trailer.... Message-id: Bah screw real audio I have it in 21 MB quicktime format at: http://sulk.dmswebworks.com/jarnold/episode1.sit also anonymous ftp at: ftp://sulk.dmswebworks.com/pub/episode1.sit I also have a 7 MB live version where the sound is a little louder at: http://sulk.dmswebworks.com/jarnold/live.sit also anonymous ftp at: ftp://sulk.dmswebworks.com/pub/live.sit At 12:27 PM -0600 11/19/98, AugieWan wrote: >Hello all, I don't have any new TMBG songs for download, but I do have the >new StarWars trailer if you're interested. The version from the >StarWars.com site is 24 MEG and the traffic there makes it next to >impossible to grab. I made a Real Video version that you can download to >your harddrive and then watch. It's only 2.5 MEG and is pretty good >quality! :) > >http://www.thespeakeasy.com/augiewan > >Have Fun, >AugieWan >_______________________________________ >AugieWan >augiewan@thespeakeasy.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981119211047.10682.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "John Landis" Subject: TMBG: Chucks Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 13:10:47 PST Just to add to the whole chucks thing, I would like to offer this bit of advice: For those of you who are like me, and love your canvass beauties, but hat that damn corporate insignia, you can get it off, by placing a piece of duct tape over it and wearing it around for a few weeks (something of a statement in and of itself), and then, after removing the tape, you can, with a bit of patience and some well grown fingernails, peel that plastic logo off. ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: <3d469dac.3654955e@aol.com> Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 17:02:06 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Chucks I know Linnell wore low top blue ones last year (wow almost exactly a year ago) to the Rochester concert, and I have a gut feeling he might of worn creme ones to the Toronto one..I can't remember..but thats the only image I can bring up. Remember the vid Birdhouse in your soul? Isn't everyone in that vid wearing high top black ones? I have 3 pairs myself..red hightop, yellow hightop and kelly green low tops I use to have a pair of blue hightops, but my dad threw them away just as they were getting nice and broken in and ripping I have a bad habit of drawing all over them and everyone writes or draws on them they look loved -Amber the Transcendent Mistress of the Known Cosmos ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981119221312.23487.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: TMBG: Chucks? Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 14:13:11 PST >I know Linnell wore low top blue ones Wha? > vid wearing high top black ones? Eh? >I have 3 pairs myself..red hightop, yellow hightop and kelly green low tops >I use to have a pair of blue hightops, but my dad threw them away Maybe cuz he was like me. I have no idea what "Chucks", or what you guys are talking about, are. Can someone please explain? Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com ICQ#: 17262308 contact me! http://profiles.yahoo.com/LeChuck/ Mandrake: Colonel! Colonel, I must know what you think has been going on here! Guano: You wanna know what I think? Mandrake: Yes! Guano: I think you're some kind of deviated prevert. I think General Ripper found out about your preversion, and you were organizing some kind of mutiny of preverts. Now MOVE!! --"Dr. Strangelove OR How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: FID889@aol.com Message-ID: <559ee607.3654993b@aol.com> Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 17:18:35 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Converse well then actually Linnell must have multiple pairs, for my friends and i who have a bit of an obsession with both converse and tmbg made sure to look if they were converse kids. He was wearing a pair of off white low tops. Flans however was wearing some white reebok type things. odd. another thing, going back long ago, if anyone would be willing to tell me what that thing haveing to do with 4 of 2 was about, i think it was some kind of book, something in the range of HHGTT? ------------------------------ From: wagner@mindspring.com Message-ID: <00e401be140d$ee718520$c2e345cf@computer> Subject: TMBG: no more converse conversation! Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 17:42:45 -0500 >>wasting our time responding to your opinions *is* what >>we're here for. A lot of the time that means we'll end up >>talking about walmarts and how bad they are...or where >>mike leffel is... if you want TMBG 100% of the time then >>i'm sorry... i know that this was probably meant as a joke, but i can really see a lot of truth to this -- it does seem that that's why a lot of people are here, to waste my time. and it's not written anywhere that there has to be topics outside of tmbg on this list. i agree with david whalen, who posted that first email basically saying "stop sending crap to this list" (not quite in those words). i'm sure that many others on this list would like to know what type of shoes the johns wear, but do we really need 10 emails (and i'm sure i'll get at least 3 more before the day is over) talking about converse on a tmbg list?! i haven't bothered reading these emails, i've deleted them all (as i'm sure that many, many others are doing so). i'm sure that there's a small percentage of people on this list that care enough about what shoes the johns wear to sit down and read all of the emails that everybody's been receiving; unfortunately, it's that small percentage of people that is making this mailing list (gasp) the crap that it is. (please no responses as to why i'm still on it if i think it's crap-- i'm on it for the tmbg content, not to hear stuff about aquabats and converse.) >i'm not sure how long you've been on the list but honestly, your telling >people not to post their opinions seems counterproductive to the list. actually, he NEVER told people not to post their opinions in his message. this is everyone's list, so everyone can say what they want -- but have some courtesy before you send a message to a list that hundreds of people will see, make sure it's worthwhile. everyone is always free to put in their two cents, but make sure it has meaning, rather than adding a small detail about something as irrelevant as i.e. aquabats or converse. i (and i'm sure many others) am getting really irritated by these listees that send a few messages EVERYDAY, listees that use every excuse -- no matter how small, no matter if it's related to tmbg -- to send an email to this list that SOOO many people probably delete anyway. it bulks up my mailbox and wastes a lot of my time. >If you're not interested in the subject just delete the e-mail >(or scroll past it if you're on the digest). that's a good idea, but here's an even better one: stop sending emails that people will delete to the list! it's a waste of time to delete emails, and if i were on the digest, i wouldn't want to scroll past one email, looking for tmbg content, and then see that the rest of the emails are about the same non-tmbg topic. (i know that there's a message board on the internet where i can read them if i don't want to be on the list, so please don't feed me that as a solution.) really, people, if you're gonna send an email, make it worth reading. don't piss people off, have some courtesy before you send it. alright, i'm done wasting people's time by telling people not to waste people's time. david (wagner@mindspring.com) ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <3eb5e744.3654a09c@aol.com> Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 17:50:04 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: no more converse conversation! In a message dated 11/19/98 5:46:11 PM, wagner@mindspring.com writes: >that's a good idea, but here's an even better one: stop sending emails >that > >people will delete to the list! 1) not everyone will delete them. and if they want to, so what? i couldn't care less about the star wars thing or the hitchhiker's guide thread, so i delete them. simple. you're never going to find a decent mailing list that always stays on topic. it's a discussion list. not an info list. 2) you must be new as well. sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001501be140f$439bc6e0$d0c608d1@idiotnot.visi.net> From: "S. Bergeron" Subject: Sorta-TMBG: All-Stars Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 17:51:04 -0500 I will confirm that Linnell was wearing chucks at the VA Beach concert earlier this year. Flans was wearing dress-type shoes...dressed quite dapperly. I am currently wearing the new all-stars, but own about four pairs of the classic canvas types. Only hi-tops, tho. Chucks rule. Jack Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net bluedawg@tmbg.org "Someday, somebody else besides me will call me by my stage name."--Doctor Worm http://www.tmbg.org/~bluedawg/ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 16:01:24 -0700 (MST) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: NON-TMBG: no more converse (the nature of this list revealed) Message-ID: alright -- i've been more or less lurking for the past few weeks, because i've been really busy and really stressed out, but i must delurk for this purpose: please, please, please, please, please, i beg of you people, do NOT drag us down into another TMBG/NON-TMBG debate again. stop this right now before it starts. this is 10,000 times more divisive a topic than walmart, aquabats, converse, mike leffel, or anything. this is the single most divisive topic this list encounters, and it happens every three months or so. all other topics usually blow over within a couple days. the TMBG/NON-TMBG debate usually stretches out for a week and a half and ends in an epidemic of unsubscriptions, hard feelings, bitterness, nausea, shortness of breath, skin rashes, and other nasty side effects. (incidentally, ...while we're on the topic of list cycles, ever notice how mike leffel's hallowed name always resurfaces slightly after the start of the TMBG/NON-TMBG debate?) if anyone wants to know (that doesn't know already) my opinion on the TMBG/NON-TMBG issue, e-mail me privately and i'll tell you. --jim kuemmerle, who now resumes temporary lurk mode until things settle down over here in utah... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ps: i'm in a bunch of bands, and one of them now has a web presence: http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/zivio/ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 16:06:50 -0700 (MST) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: Sorta-TMBG: All-Stars, and an etymology question Message-ID: wouldn't flans wear Mono Puff All-Stars? (sorry...) by the way, where did the term "chucks" come from? --jim kuemmerle, who again urges patience and restraint... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ go visit now: http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/zivio/ which will eventually be http://www.zivio.org/ but isn't yet... ------------------------------ From: CajunGram@aol.com Message-ID: <921fadab.3654a47a@aol.com> Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 18:06:34 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Chucks In a message dated 98-11-19 16:15:59 EST, you write: << Just to add to the whole chucks thing, I would like to offer this bit of advice: For those of you who are like me, and love your canvass beauties, but hat that damn corporate insignia, you can get it off, by placing a piece of duct tape over it and wearing it around for a few weeks (something of a statement in and of itself), and then, after removing the tape, you can, with a bit of patience and some well grown fingernails, peel that plastic logo off. >> Hmm... maybe I'm a dork or a capitalist slave, but I always was proud to display my Converse Logo in the side of my shoes. It made me feel happy to know that I was wearing the coolest shoes on earth!!! Graham ------------------------------ From: wagner@mindspring.com Message-ID: <002201be1412$06fc08a0$fbdb45cf@computer> Subject: Re: TMBG: no more converse conversation! Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 18:12:04 -0500 >you're never going to find a decent mailing list that always stays on topic. >it's a discussion list. not an info list. funny, i've already found (and have been a member of for about 5 or 6 months) a mailing list that pretty much always stays on topic, it's an R.E.M. mailing list called "document," and its very good at staying on topic. it's a DISCUSSION list, and latley i've been getting somewhere between 5 and 10 emails a day (unlike this list, where i probably get more around 20). if there's anyone on both lists, i'm sure they'd agree. > >2) you must be new as well. [ rude expletive.] i was on this list back in the spring earlier on this year, and i unsubscribed b/c i was so annoyed w/ the large number of emails i was receiving. but i resubscribed in the middle of october (october 11, to be exact), so no, i'm not new. i've just been kinda laying low and sending a message to the list when it's important, i try to be as courteous as i can, not clogging others mailboxes. david. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001401be141a$68340f20$5a228a81@refund.rcn.nmt.edu> From: "Refund" Subject: NON TMBG: Re: TMBG: no more converse conversation! Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 17:12:04 -0700 >>2) you must be new as well. >[ rude expletive.] i was on this list back in the spring earlier on this >year, and i unsubscribed b/c i was so annoyed w/ the large number of emails >i was receiving. but i resubscribed in the middle of october (october 11, to >be exact), so no, i'm not new. i've just been kinda laying low and sending a >message to the list when it's important, i try to be as courteous as i can, >not clogging others mailboxes. Hah! So you admit it! You came back of your own accord, knowing fully well the things that go on on this list. You're an addict just like the rest of us. I've been on this list for a couple years now, and I've seen this whole On/Off topic discussion several times over. Once, it even ended in mediation, admin going through the posts deciding which ones made it through, and which ones didn't. Let me tell you, it SUCKED! I enjoy all the things people say here. I don't read /every/ message. I delete quite a few of them, in fact. I read the subject lines and go, "Wow...I don't really feel like reading about this today." I delete the message and go on to the next. It's really simple. If you can't figure it out, please contact your software vendor for assistance, or, better yet, read the help files. I've noticed that few people do that anymore. Oh well... Just delete the subjects you don't want to read about and move on. You can even, with some email programs, have it send messages with different subject lines to different folders. I have all my Non TMBG stuff going to one, and all the TMBG stuff going to another. That helps some. Do that. Problem solved. Thank you for your time and lack of patience. Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico ------------------------------ From: Phil Jackson Message-Id: <199811200029.TAA13777@angels.heaven.net> Subject: TMBG: here's a solution Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 19:27:45 -0500 here's a solution to this question of whether or not to send "crap" to this list. why don't we all vote on wheter or not we want to have NON TMBG on this list too....personally I'm voting for keeping the non TMBG on the list too, for it is amusing to read what others think of other thing besides tmbg. so here is the first vote! Yes i want to keep nonTMBG on this list ' X ' No get rid of the "crap" ___ I'll keep a poll of all the votes and tell you all the results when everyone has sent them in Eric "the diplomatic for the TMBG list" Jackson [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: Batbrain99@aol.com Message-ID: <42ba19e4.3654be7a@aol.com> Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 19:57:30 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: here's a solution actually... people will send crap no matter what you do. its our right. its what seperates from the animals... unless there is a certain animal out there with the right to send crap to various people. so until i stop recieveng "you have won one million dollars!" mails, spam me up! ~bat"spam"brain * ----------------------------------- "Bills.. bills... bills... why do they keep sending us Bill's mail?" --hank hill, king of the hill ------------------------------ From: Jeremy Skrenes Subject: Re: TMBG: here's a solution Message-ID: Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 20:47:21 -0500 i vote that we ban all discussion about discussion from this list. * ----------------------------------------- Jeremy Skrenes Email: Jeremy.Skrenes@valpo.edu Valparaiso University ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 20:48:56 -0500 (EST) From: "Martin J. Burke" Subject: Re: TMBG: here's a solution Message-ID: Ahem...is this mic on? Does anyone else see the silliness in all of this? God damn it, now i'm a part of this silliness! So, lets all just shut up, let people do what they want, and just learn to use the delete key on our keyboards. Vote libretarian! Marty On Thu, 19 Nov 1998, Jeremy Skrenes wrote: > i vote that we ban all discussion about discussion from this list. > ----------------------------------------- > Jeremy Skrenes > Email: Jeremy.Skrenes@valpo.edu > Valparaiso University > > "She's got all the money, money couldn't buy." -TMBG She's actual size "Nobody knows what it's really like, but everyone says it's great!" -TMBG The spirialing shape ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 18:58:05 -0700 Subject: TMBG: why mike comes up Message-ID: <19981119.190052.4534.7.TMBgirl@juno.com> Oh hey... this is in response to jim's e-mail (which i so cleverly deleted) where he noted that Mike Leffel's name comes up whenever this thread of "don't post crap to the list" thread comes up. I dunno if you were on the list with the legacy of Mike but *all* he posted was crap and i'd say that 90% of the list enjoyed it while the other 10% complained. Basically he kept posting and posting and would fill up at least 2/3 of every day's digest with crazy, mostly unrelated, stuff. but it was fun. :) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 18:55:09 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: no more converse conversation! Message-ID: <19981119.190052.4534.6.TMBgirl@juno.com> First off, i'd like to apologize to Jim and the rest of you that have seen this thread come up thousands of times... i just feel as though it's my duty to reply to this message and enlighten all the newbies... forgive me in advance. >i know that this was probably meant as a joke, but i can really see a >lot of >truth to this -- it does seem that that's why a lot of people are >here, to >waste my time. i said that *we* (the authors of the e-mails) would be the ones wasting our time if we were writting messages that no one was reading. And don't get on this... "if you send it to the list of hundreds of people they all *have* to read it..." no one does... #1 no one is forcing you to stay on the list #2 you can delete it (or scroll past it on the digest). >i'm sure >that >many others on this list would like to know what type of shoes the >johns >wear, but do we really need 10 emails (and i'm sure i'll get at least >3 more >before the day is over) talking about converse on a tmbg list?! ya know... i think the shoes you wear tell a lot about your personality... i liked hearing everyone's stories about the cons they own and the cons they want to own... it gives me a little insight into their characters as opposed to reading somethign from "tdk" and think i'm talking to some audio tapes or a kangaroo... (sorry to use you as an example mike... i coulda done "batbrain" but uh...) i >haven't >bothered reading these emails, i've deleted them all (as i'm sure that >many, >many others are doing so). do you want a cookie? you figured out the secret to "not wasting your time." And if reading the subject header on a message that you plan on deleting takes to much time for you to do then maybe you're not on the right mailing list. > i'm sure that there's a small percentage of >people on this list that care enough about what shoes the johns wear >to sit >down and read all of the emails that everybody's been receiving; >unfortunately, it's that small percentage of people that is making >this >mailing list (gasp) the crap that it is. ya know... it's a small percentage of people that post. If you don't like it start a new thread... >will >see, make sure it's worthwhile. everyone is always free to put in >their two >cents, but make sure it has meaning, rather than adding a small detail >about >something as irrelevant as i.e. aquabats or converse. i (and i'm sure >many >others) telling people not to post stuff that is "irrelevant" like "the aquabats" is totally whacked. I think the aquabats have a lot in common with TMBG (while it may not be immediately apparent). We're on here discussing a musical group... when someone finds another group that reminds them of TMBG i would highly appreciate it if they let us know... i like to expand my music collection and have found that this mailing list is a great place to learn about other extremely talented artists... i think part of the reason i stay on the list is waiting for another "what else do you listen to" thread to come up. > am getting really irritated by these listees that send a few >messages EVERYDAY, listees that use every excuse -- no matter how >small, no >matter if it's related to tmbg -- to send an email to this list that >SOOO >many people probably delete anyway. it bulks up my mailbox and wastes >a lot >of my time. well if you know the listees names... just delete all the e-mails from that person. i do it... ever since dilbert2000's (josh's) little fake-death escapade i've yet to bother reading anythign else he sends. you don't like what i have to say? don't read it. >>If you're not interested in the subject just delete the e-mail >>(or scroll past it if you're on the digest). > >that's a good idea, but here's an even better one: stop sending emails >that >people will delete to the list! don't be so friggin close-minded. Just cuz you're not interested in it doesn't mean that the entire world wont be interested. >it's a waste of time to delete emails, >and >if i were on the digest, i wouldn't want to scroll past one email, >looking >for tmbg content, and then see that the rest of the emails are about >the >same non-tmbg topic. if deleting them is too much of a waste of time i think you should go elsewhere. honestly this is a discussion list... deal with it. >really, people, if you're gonna send an email, make it worth reading. >don't >piss people off, too late. and anyways... when you piss someone off you get to hear the total opposite argument, perhaps things you didn't even think of unless they're "too busy to waste their time" replying to an e-mail >alright, i'm done wasting people's time by telling people not to waste >people's time. ditto take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html upcoming: offspring - placebo - depeche mode & stabbing westward - cherry poppin daddies, harvey danger, soul coughing, & love and rockets. ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <003c01be1425$f78b4e80$d7431ecf@default> From: "Green Jello" Subject: TMBG: NON-TMBG viva las converse!!! and the definition of "chucks" Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 20:34:48 -0500 >months) a mailing list that pretty much always stays on topic, it's an >R.E.M. mailing list called "document," and its very good at staying on >topic. it's a DISCUSSION list, and latley i've been getting somewhere looks like you found a new home... if you don't like us, you ARE free to leave. >[ rude expletive.] i was on this list back in the spring earlier on this >year, and i unsubscribed b/c i was so annoyed w/ the large number of emails >i was receiving. but i resubscribed in the middle of october (october 11, to >be exact), so no, i'm not new. that my friend is relative. and btw no one gets away with spouting expletives at my pal sarah. not only will she stand up for herself and smack you around, i'll have to step in at the end and kick you while you're down... i'm just that big of a jerk. spring, eh? quite a few of us have been here for years. so maybe it's just the whole perspective thing. don't get your panties in too big of a bunch, we all have our little blow ups at the list, but being the good pals that we are... we just forgive each other and go on (except for that little ignoramus josh buckland who gets no forgiveness in my book) chucks are only the hi-top all stars and are called chucks b/c on the patch logo it's signed "Chuck Taylor" Brother John Green Jello, who is wearing his lime green low cuts all stars right now ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 22:14:05 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Hidden messages in TMBG songs Message-ID: <19981119.221424.4590.0.gray42@juno.com> Ok, so I was listening to DAS's Hotel Detective backwords (cause it sounds great that way) And at the end of the song (tho' if played foward: at the beginning), I swear I heard Linnell say "diablo" <--did I spell that right. You know, another name for Satan. :P Anyway, I found this funny because Linnell's voice was deep, and the song, when played backwards, is very tragic, almost on the verge of torment, death, and pain, and of course, a crying flans. Geesh it sends shivers up my spine, guess that's why I like it so much :P Get Quicktime, get Hotel Detective, and PLEASE listen to it backwards, it's absolutely gorgeous Mysterio Gal (backwards music rules) "It's like being the world's tallest midget." --Flansburgh MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 22:27:12 -0500 Subject: Re:NON TMBG: 4 of 2 (was TMBG: Converse) Message-ID: <19981119.223033.4590.2.gray42@juno.com> On Thu, 19 Nov 1998 17:18:35 EST FID889@aol.com writes: >well then actually Linnell must have multiple pairs, for my friends >and i who >have a bit of an obsession with both converse and tmbg made sure to >look if >they were converse kids. He was wearing a pair of off white low tops. >Flans >however was wearing some white reebok type things. odd. > >another thing, going back long ago, if anyone would be willing to tell >me what >that thing haveing to do with 4 of 2 was about, i think it was some >kind of >book, something in the range of HHGTT? > Hi, I'm not sure, but I believe I started the thread (and I'm not trying to steal the glory :P ) Well it was just a fun coincidence, this Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy book stated that the Ultimate Answer, to the ultimate question of Life, The Universe, And Everything was in fact 42. Frankly I get terribly excited when the number is mentioned (cause it's fuhn). Mysterio Gal (Hotel Detective) "It's like being the world's tallest midget." --Flansburgh MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #12-19 ******************************