Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #12-21 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 12, Number 21 Sunday, 22 November 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: the man on the menu TMBG: don't ask, just go - Re: TMBG: the man on the menu Re: TMBG: the man on the menu TMBG: Fwd: TMBG: Back! TMBG: TMBG singles on e-bay Re: TMBG: TMBG singles on e-bay Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Igraine81@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 12:40:19 EST Subject: TMBG: the man on the menu Hi there, its me again. First of all I had to say this, and I hope that people out there don't consider it "crap". But, when I went out to a resturant with my friends yesterday and was looking at the menu what did I see? None other than "the man", you know, the one from the Why Does the Sun Shine single. Anyway, after bugging the waitress about how much the menu cost, and getting no definite response, I just kind of walked out with it. So which leads me to ask if "the man" originated from the TMBG single, or if it was used somewhere else before and the creator of the menu simply found it from another source? Just curious. Also I know this has been pissing people off but, I gotta say it, I used to have a pair of convers, but I wore them so much that the soles litterally fell off when I was walking one day. So now Im kinda wondering if they have a online ordering thing where you can get them, because I havent been able to find them anywhere. Moving on. Im sure that some one else has already talked about the MTV online thing. But I just have to say that it was great to see John Linnell preform Dr. Worm live on the Real Video thing. Also, I know this will piss some people off too, and I apologize because I know that everyone is entitled to their opinions and I sincerly don't like confrontations, but the whole "pointless crap" on the mailing list thing. I mean, come on! When I was a silent observor (and know that somepeople wish that I still was) if there was anything on the list that I didnt care to read i just scrolled past it. It wasnt a big deal, and I know there is other interesting stuff to talk about. I for one am thoroughly enjoying the "Chuck Taylor" conversation. Anyway, I know some are probably getting sick about this whole topic, and everything that I've just said about it has probably already been said, so Im going to drop it. Well ive gotten a little off topic, because I mainly wrote this to talk about the little man that was on the menu. (by the way that resturant is now my favorite place to eat, for no other reason other that the little guy). Well, um, alright, I guess that's it. Lisa not cool enough to have a quote ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 15:28:34 EST Subject: TMBG: don't ask, just go - http://www.mtv.com/mtv/realmedia/playra.cgi?/mtv/realmedia/playra.cgi?/mtv/ne ws/real/t/drworm.rm ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 13:48:39 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: the man on the menu Message-ID: <19981121.134856.17534.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> hEY HEY! So which leads me to ask >if "the >man" originated from the TMBG single, or if it was used somewhere else >before >and the creator of the menu simply found it from another source? he's just a common clip-art character :) tmbg were not the first to use, nor did they create the character. So now Im kinda >wondering if >they have a online ordering thing where you can get them, because I >havent >been able to find them anywhere. Yeah, you can... cuz i've been to the converse website (the last time this thread came around...) i just don't have a URL take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html where's the calendar? ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 16:37:48 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: the man on the menu In a message dated 11/21/98 3:53:12 PM, tmbgirl@juno.com writes: >Yeah, you can... cuz i've been to the converse website (the last time >this thread came around...) i just don't have a URL converse.com?:) i went there last year, they had my sneaks and the one stars.. i was just there the other day and uh, it's changed.. hm. and re: the man. he adorns an awning for some antique clothes & jelwery store (or something, i dunno) here in rochester (amber & tmbgibs -- i think it's "cassandra's") pretty durn funny.. driving down the street: "it's The Man!!" she was underwhelmed if that's a word, sarah ------------------------------ From: TMBGibs@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 22:00:03 EST Subject: TMBG: Fwd: In a message dated 98-11-16 16:08:34 EST, mustang27j@hotmail.com writes: << Subj: Date: 98-11-16 16:08:34 EST From: mustang27j@hotmail.com (Jay Perrin) To: TMBGibs@aol.com >Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 20:45:33 -0800 (PST) >From: Alicia Copeland >To: Tiffani Ross , > tiffani ross , oj Santos , > Billy Sanyal , Megan Sutherland , > Megan Sutherland , > Laury Turner , Joel Votaw , > Yahoo , kim lonsdale , > matt mattn , Ruben Murphy , > Maureen Olszewski , Jay Perrin , > Jay Perrin , > gerad dont know , > Chris Fosberg , Karen Grey , > Erik Hansson , Kimmie K , > laura knoeck , Julian Lister , > Alex alexsys , jade andrews , > Sarah Baker , > Lorraine Barnes , > Megan Beck , Megan S Brainard , > Tiffany Chiazza , > Amanda Cunningham > > > > >The "Stop The Hate" Petition > >Opening Statement: > > >"As a religious voice, we state strongly that violence on >the >basis of > >sexual >orientation, race or gender is wrong, is evil, is >>reprehensible." > >John Buehrens, President of The Unitarian Universalist >Association, > >speaks for Unitarian Universalists but his words are >reflected in >the > >hearts of people everywhere who believe we must speak out, >take >action > >against, and condemn hate crimes in all their ugly forms. > >A resolution follows: > > >WHEREAS: We affirm and promote the inherent worth and >dignity of >every > >person; >and >WHEREAS: We commend the efforts of those individuals >who > >dedicate their >lives >to causes of social justice and human >rights; and > >WHEREAS: We support actions that protect the individual's >rights >of life, > >liberty and pursuit of happiness. > > >THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED, That we hereby urge the passage of >The >Hate > >Crimes >Prevention Act (HCPA), H.R.3081 and S.1529 > >(The Hate Crimes Prevention Act (HCPA), H.R.3081 and S.1529, >would >amend > >current federal law (which permits federal prosecution of a >hate >crime > >only if the crime was motivated by bias based on religion, >national > >origin, or color) to include real or perceived sexual >orientation, > >gender, and disability so the FBI would be able to >investigate and > >prosecute violent hate crimes against gays, lesbians, and >>bisexuals. > >Under this bill, hate crimes that cause death or bodily >injury >because of > >prejudice can be investigated federally, regardless of >whether the >victim > >was exercising a federally protected right. > >The only way that our representatives can be aware of the >base of >support > >for this change to the current law is by making our voices >heard. >> > >Please add your name to this petition and forward it to >friends who > >believe in what it stands for. The petition will then be >forwarded >to the > >President of The United States; the Vice President of the >United >States; > >and our United States Senators and House Members. > >Petition >Management: > >1 This petition is being passed around the Internet. Please >add >your name > >to it so that we can have tougher laws against all hate >crimes. >Please > >keep the petition rolling. Do not reply to me. Please sign >and >forward to > >others to sign. This is being forwarded to several people at >once >to add > >their names . It will not matter if many people receive the >same >list as > >the names are being managed. > > >2 If you print out this petition for signing please email >the >listing of > >names with locations to the email address: >AllRunique@aol.com (an >email > >address created to receive this petition) Include a note to >>indicate you > >have a hand-signed petition and include the number of names >>listed. > > >3. If you happen to be the 100th, 150th, 200th, 250th, etc. >signer >of > >this petition, please forward a copy to the email address: > > > AllRunique@aol.com > > >4. If you sign, please pass it on to others. If not, please >do not >kill > >it: >send it on to the email address: AllRunique@aol.com > >>Thank You > >Leslie Palmer, UU > >... I cannot stay silent, my outrage and compassion will not >>allow. > > >Note: It is preferable that you Select the entirety of this >letter >and > >then COPY it into a new outgoing message, add your name to >the >bottom of > >the list, then send it on. > >Sign Here: > >1)=09Leslie Palmer, Jacksonville, FL > >2)=09Stephen Silverman, South Burlington, VT > >3)=09Mel Harkrader Pine, Reston, VA >4)=09Barry Finkelstein, >Arlington, VA > >5)=09Roberta Finkelstein, Arlington, VA >6)=09Judy Welles, >Carlisle, PA > >7)=09Kate Seitz bortner, York, PA >8)=09Len De Roche, Kingston, MA > >9)=09Bonnie Vegiard, Danbury CT >10)=09Audree Simer O'Connell, >Stockton, CA > >11)=09Peter Lach, Stockton, CA >12)=09Nathan Gonzales, Pomona, CA > >13)=09Elizabeth Gonzales, Fresno, CA >14)=09Kenneth Fries, Fresno, >CA > >15)=09Robin Greiner, Fresno, CA >16)=09Nancy Casad, Fresno, CA > >17)=09Tom Aitken, Kaimu, HI >18) Carolyn Martinez Golojuch, >Makakilo, HI > >19) Eleanor M. Binder, Baltimore, MD >20) Susan Stanskas, >Fredericksburg, VA > >21) Rev. Ellie Atwood-Tarbell, Rochester, NY >22) John Martin, >Frankfort, KY > >23) Steven Coy, New York, NY >24) Craig Lucas, Putnam Valley, NY > >25) Linda Emond, New York, NY >26) Paul Gemignani>> > >27) Alexander Gemignani Ann Arbor, MI >28) Jessica M. Murphy Ann >Arbor, MI > >29) Jessica Thompson, Philadelphia, PA >30) Evan Bialostozky, New >Haven, CT > >31) Hyura Choi, New Haven, CT 32) Mollie Goldstein, New Haven, CT >33) Zachary Goldstein, Rochester, NY34) M. Roshni Ray, Rochester, NY >35.) Billy S, Rochester, NY >36.) Alicia Copeland, VIC, Australia 37. Jay Perrin, ROC, New York ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ----------------------- Headers -------------------------------- Return-Path: Received: from rly-yc01.mail.aol.com (rly-yc01.mail.aol.com [172.18.149.33]) by air-yc03.mail.aol.com (v51.16) with SMTP; Mon, 16 Nov 1998 16:08:34 -0500 Received: from hotmail.com (f271.hotmail.com [207.82.251.162]) by rly-yc01.mail.aol.com (8.8.8/8.8.5/AOL-4.0.0) with SMTP id QAA06596 for ; Mon, 16 Nov 1998 16:06:37 -0500 (EST) Received: (qmail 21919 invoked by uid 0); 16 Nov 1998 21:06:36 -0000 Message-ID: <19981116210636.21918.qmail@hotmail.com> Received: from 205.188.192.179 by www.hotmail.com with HTTP; Mon, 16 Nov 1998 13:06:35 PST X-Originating-IP: [205.188.192.179] From: "Jay Perrin" To: TMBGibs@aol.com MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 13:06:35 PST >> [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (message/rfc822)] I got my screen name back :) me~ From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Sun Nov 22 00:26:20 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) id AAA27729 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Sun, 22 Nov 1998 00:26:20 -0500 (EST) Received: from imo12.mx.aol.com (imo12.mx.aol.com [198.81.17.2]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) with ESMTP id AAA27720 for ; Sun, 22 Nov 1998 00:26:18 -0500 (EST) From: Blstersoul@aol.com Received: from Blstersoul@aol.com by imo12.mx.aol.com (IMOv16.10) id IZWSa22870 for ; Sun, 22 Nov 1998 00:25:17 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <39d5a069.3657a03d@aol.com> Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 00:25:17 EST To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Mime-Version: 1.0 Subject: TMBG: TMBG singles on e-bay Content-type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit X-Mailer: Casablanca - Windows sub 214 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Blstersoul@aol.com There are currently a few TMBG singles for auction on ebay some of you may be interested in - I Palindrome I 4 track single (isn't that an oxymoron? 4 track SINGLE?) Current Bid is $15.50 Can be found at: http://cgi.ebay.com/aw- cgi/ebayisapi.dll?viewitem&item=42862654 Istanbul Not Constantinople 5 track single Current Bid $5.50 http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/ebayisapi.dll?viewitem&item=42864004 Why Does the Sun Shine Current Bid: $3.50 http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/ebayisapi.dll?viewitem&item=42861446 Going to www.ebay.com and searching for They Might Be Giants will also bring these up plus other items of potential interest. Jason From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Sun Nov 22 00:39:06 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) id AAA28430 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Sun, 22 Nov 1998 00:39:06 -0500 (EST) Received: from imo26.mx.aol.com (imo26.mx.aol.com [198.81.17.70]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) with ESMTP id AAA28421 for ; Sun, 22 Nov 1998 00:39:04 -0500 (EST) From: Kaylum@aol.com Received: from Kaylum@aol.com by imo26.mx.aol.com (IMOv16.10) id IQTTa01253 for ; Sun, 22 Nov 1998 00:37:24 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <85a7442f.3657a314@aol.com> Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 00:37:24 EST To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Mime-Version: 1.0 Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG singles on e-bay Content-type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit X-Mailer: AOL 3.0 16-bit for Windows sub 86 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Kaylum@aol.com << I Palindrome I 4 track single (isn't that an oxymoron? 4 track SINGLE?) >> No, that's the way a lot of singles are released these days...with bonus tracks not available on the cd to make them more appealing to buyers. They are also known as ep's (extended plays, I think) or cd4's or 5's so as not to be confused with one song promotional singles. I saw an article in Time or Newsweek about it being the new big thing a couple of years ago, but TMBG was one of the first artists to do it long before then. Anyhow, I have a taped copy of this ep, and it's great...the bonus tracks are "Cabbagetown" (a Flans tune), "Siftin" (a rockin' video game-style instrumental they used to use to open their shows on occasion), and a very funny Reggae-style remix of "She's Actual Size" renamed "Larger than Life." Well worth getting on cd, but alas, even $16 is too rich for my blood right now. Kay ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #12-21 ******************************