Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #12-22 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 12, Number 22 Monday, 23 November 1998 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: TMBG singles on e-bay Re: TMBG: TMBG singles on e-bay Re: TMBG: TMBG singles on e-bay TMBG: Another TMBG dream Re: TMBG: TMBG singles on e-bay TMBG: Mp3s Re: TMBG: Another TMBG dream TMBG: snowman t-shirt question Re: NON-TMBG: HHGTTG question Re: NON-TMBG: HHGTTG question Re: NON-TMBG: HHGTTG question Re: TMBG: snowman t-shirt question Re: TMBG: Mp3s TMBG: Live!! TMBG: The truth about Linnell (incredibly pointless but on-topic) TMBG: HHGTTG: Mostly Harmless TMBG: Catalog madness! TMBG: Ok ok, enough Re: TMBG: The truth about Linnell (incredibly pointless but on-topic) Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19981122023135.006f1e9c@goshen.edu> Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 02:31:35 -0500 From: "Amanda Heggen" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG singles on e-bay At 12:37 AM 11/22/98 EST, Jason wrote: ><< I Palindrome I 4 track single (isn't that an oxymoron? 4 track SINGLE?) >> > Kay replied with a: >No, that's the way a lot of singles are released these days... And now I'll say: Kay~ do you even know what 'oxymoron' means? Amanda H. Heggen ---------------------------- 'People should get beat up for stating their beliefs' -They Might Be Giants * ------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: <678b33ac.3657c554@aol.com> Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 03:03:32 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG singles on e-bay << Kay~ do you even know what 'oxymoron' means? >> Um, yes, of course I do (I should, I'm an English teacher), but as far as the industry is concerned, buying a "single" never meant just one song, not even in the days of vinyl, since there were two sides to every record. We've referred to the "Guitar," "SEXXY," etc. cds as singles for some time now and no one's commented on it, so it sounded like Jason just wasn't aware of that. Kay ------------------------------ From: Blstersoul@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 09:49:36 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG singles on e-bay Actually I was aware of the fact that this is a common occurence. It still doesn't make much sense, and that's all I was pointing out. In the same vain, I think the term ep is even sillier. Rather than referring to something being released as a single with some extra tracks, these are usually considered short albums, yet the term stands for extended play? ------------------------------ From: LinnellLvr@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 12:05:08 EST Subject: TMBG: Another TMBG dream I don't know if there's still an opening for stuff like this, but I had the most bizzare TMBG dream the other night. Unfortunately for me, it was really short, but it went something like this: I was relaxing alone in one of those hot springs resorts in Japan, just digging the nice hot water. Then I heard some talking and realized that I wasn't quite alone. John and John were sitting across from me, chatting with each other. I went over and started talking to them, then Linnell began splashing water at Flans. Flans then jumped up and started chasing Linnell around the spring. A small whirlpool began forming thanks to their movements, and then I decided to join in the chase, so I jumped up and began running after Flans. Finally, Flans lunged at Linnell, catching him and knocking them both under the water. I kept running and tripped over them, so all three of us ended up in a big pile underwater, then came up together laughing. My .02 yen, Leslie ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19981122123829.007ca2a0@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 12:38:29 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG singles on e-bay At 09:49 AM 11/22/98 EST, Blstersoul@aol.com wrote: >Actually I was aware of the fact that this is a common occurence. It still >doesn't make much sense, and that's all I was pointing out. In the same vain, >I think the term ep is even sillier. Rather than referring to something being >released as a single with some extra tracks, these are usually considered >short albums, yet the term stands for extended play? Then what would you prefer them to be called? EP and single both sound better than "mini-album" or "CD with a lot of tracks but, like, not that many". -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.crystal-night.com/~ctyner/ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ He-Man, Tuscadero, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, & more! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19981122130239.007ce360@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 13:02:39 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Mp3s There's currently a bit of a discussion about mp3s on alt.music.tmbg (check the thread "SenSurround"), and I'd be interested in hearing what other TMBG fans think. Basically, do you think it's right to download and keep mp3s of in-print, readily available material that you don't own? I mean, for a radio promo like "Live!! NYC" or an out-of-print single like "I Palindrome I", I can see why people would be interested in keeping mp3s of those songs on their hard drive, and maybe I'm just a prude or something, but I just don't think it's cool to give away mp3s of songs from soundtracks or readily available b-sides... Anyone else feel this way, or is there just something wrong with me? :-) I think I came off as a bit of a prick on the newsgroup, but that's just 'cause I feel pretty strongly about this. -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.crystal-night.com/~ctyner/ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ He-Man, Tuscadero, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, & more! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <007101be1655$a04a2ec0$783288cf@danielle> From: "Danielle Gaither" Subject: Re: TMBG: Another TMBG dream Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 14:20:57 -0600 >I don't know if there's still an opening for stuff like this, but I had the Yes, I'm still collecting TMBG dreams. The reason I haven't put them up on a page yet is that, frankly, I haven't received very many. Then again, I may just post the few I have and see what happens. Since I'm home sick from work today, I suppose it would be a good time to work on that. :) And, of course, there's nothing wrong with posting a TMBG dream to the list since it is on-topic. I had a semi-TMBG dream the other night myself. I was traveling with some college friends and Flans and his wife were sort of like our chaperones. Of course, they were really awesome about it. :) Coming soon: the truth about Linnell exposed! Wondering if she has a future in dream interpretation, Inspector Over the Mine ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.19981122143602.00924270@206.29.226.1> Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 14:37:12 -0600 From: braham ketcham Subject: TMBG: snowman t-shirt question Hi, I was wondering if there is anything on the back of the snowman shirt.. hmm, is there any writing on the shirt at all? braham ketcham ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 15:37:38 -0500 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: HHGTTG question Message-ID: <19981122.165042.4390.0.Mr.Train@juno.com> I Have a question for those HHGTTG fans out there (and I think there are a lot of them...) Shouldn't Trilian's brain also contain the question to life the universe and everything? Why didn't they ask her? Why did the mice only want Arthur's brain? Tim Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update: Dark and Metric Last CD purchase: Fear of Pop - Vol. 1 Favorite mainstream song: Never There - Cake ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 18:08:42 -0600 (CST) From: Jim Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: HHGTTG question Message-ID: Hitchhiker's Guide spoiler! Um, I guess . . . On Sun, 22 Nov 1998 mr.train@juno.com wrote: > I Have a question for those HHGTTG fans out there (and I think there are > a lot of them...) > > Shouldn't Trilian's brain also contain the question to life the universe > and everything? Why didn't they ask her? Why did the mice only want > Arthur's brain? *ahem* If'n I remember correctly, Trillian did not have the question in her brain because she left the planet quite early. This is also why Arthur does not know the question fully, because he left seconds before the question function was completed. Because of the time difference of their departure, Arthur had more of the question processed than Trillian did. Now, as for why Trillian's brain did not continue to process the question . . . when you take a memory chip or a sound card or what not out of your computer, they stop processing memory and sound and what not, neh? Jim was M. Rene . . . see, It Happens Every Summer . . . ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981122231124.16211.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: HHGTTG question Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 15:11:23 PST >Shouldn't Trilian's brain also contain the question to life the universe >and everything? Why didn't they ask her? Why did the mice only want >Arthur's brain? > This could be for many reasons, but I'll list two of them. A) She was blond, and she was a woman. A blond chick. B) The question must only be imprinted onto the minds of the oblivious (More room, you see...). And Arther was the only human rescued, therefore he was the only person in the story (that survived) who was COMPLETELY oblivious to this adventure. Everyone knew what to do, and when, but Arther. For further query, just write the goddamned author! Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com ICQ#: 17262308 contact me! http://profiles.yahoo.com/LeChuck/ "Life... Don't talk to *me* about life..." -Marvin, the manicly depressed robot ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 16:07:44 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: snowman t-shirt question Message-ID: <19981122.162339.4254.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> >I was wondering if there is anything on the back of the snowman >shirt.. no... but hey... it comes in two colors so you can't complain (white on black and black on white) :) >hmm, is there any writing on the shirt at all? uh, yeah... it says "THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS" take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html where's that calendar? ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 16:23:28 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: Mp3s Message-ID: <19981122.162339.4254.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> >Basically, do you think it's right to download and keep mp3s of >in-print, >readily available material that you don't own? While i don't seem to feel quite as strongly about the subject, i do agree with you in that mp3's of anything that can be bought in a store are most likely taking money away from the band and therefore baaaad. :) However... i spose i'm a bit of a hypocrite because, as you may recall the discussion over the factory showroom sessions bootleg, i do own it and i do trade it. For those of you that don't know, the FS Sessions contain several unreleased tracks that were recorded in the studio (making them high quality) and may be released some time in the future... I spose that means that anyone that gets a copy of this tape may not be as likely to purchase their next album if it contains any of these songs. I think the general consensus on the list (after quite a debate) was that it was okay to start trading the bootleg once most of the unreleased songs on the tape were being promoted on DAS and through other more official outlets and then purchase the album with this material on it when it becomes available. So on the same note... i spose it's okay to keep the mp3s so long as you have the intention of buying the material and supporting Them. (i mean come on, mp3s are a great way to hear the band and in a sense promote what they're doing so i'm not anti-mp3s by any means). take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html 3 chinchillas sitting on the phone... ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19981122202641.0090bc10@EMail.Psu.Edu> Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 20:26:41 -0500 From: Jason Fickley Subject: TMBG: Live!! I was really bored the other day so I decided to take a look at gemm.com to see if they had anything interesting. Suprisingly, they had a listing of Live!! NY! Well, my order is now confirmed, but I have no idea if there's any left, so check it out if you're looking for it. If there's none left, at least you know to keep an eye on gemm since it may show up there again :) --J'son-- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000501be1683$138eb900$b33288cf@danielle> From: "Danielle Gaither" Subject: TMBG: The truth about Linnell (incredibly pointless but on-topic) Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 19:46:19 -0600 The truth, you ask? What is the falsehood, pray tell? And who has been propagating it, you may wish to know? It appears that a certain untruth has been circulating from none other than Linnell himself. In several articles that describe their height, they always describe Linnell at 5'10" and Flans at 5'11". Having been close enough to get Flans's autograph, I would say 5'11" is about right for him. I had noticed that day when I saw Linnell walk by, one of my first thoughts was that he was shorter than I thought he would be. But I dismissed it and didn't really think about it again until I received my catalog the other day. As those of you who have the catalog know, the cover features a still from the Dr. Worm video in which the Johns are standing right next to each other. Just a quick look tells the viewer that Flans is a good half-head taller than Linnell, or at least 2-3 inches. 5'10", John? Maybe in platform shoes with your hair poofed out. ;) I should probably clarify that this doesn't affect my opinion of him in the least. If anything, it gave me a little chuckle to discover one of his human frailties. It's just a funny little thing I thought I'd point out to you. You can sleep better tonight with this pointless bit of knowledge in your heads. Known to stretch (no pun intended) the truth herself on occasion, Inspector Over the Mine ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981123040137.24371.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: TMBG: HHGTTG: Mostly Harmless Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 20:01:36 PST DON'T PANIC Earth: -------------------------- Harmless... In "Mostly Harmless", the final book, the story does not seem to go with past books. It just doesn't make as much sence as the previous books, and they barely made any! Does anyone else agree? Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com ICQ#: 17262308 contact me! http://profiles.yahoo.com/LeChuck/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <003301be169d$52021fa0$23d12581@oemcomputer> From: "kelspots" Subject: TMBG: Catalog madness! Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 23:54:01 -0500 Well, I haven't had any TMBG dreams lately, but I did dream the other day that I was dating Fred Savage. On another note entirely, I would like to report that I have received not one, not two, but THREE catalogs in the mail! Somehow I must have gotten on the mailing list multiple times. So, since I only have the need for one, I'm offering the other two up to the highest bidder. Well, actually, just to the first two people who email me. Drop me a line! Amy :) [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <005201be169e$6cb38220$23d12581@oemcomputer> From: "kelspots" Subject: TMBG: Ok ok, enough Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 00:02:07 -0500 Wow, that was quick. My extra two catalogs are gone already! Thanks for playing. Amy :) [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 01:02:40 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: The truth about Linnell (incredibly pointless but on-topic) Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 22-Nov-98 TMBG: The truth about Linne.. by "Danielle Gaither"@airma > video in which the Johns are standing right next to each other. Just a quick > look tells the viewer that Flans is a good half-head taller than Linnell, or a > t > least 2-3 inches. 5'10", John? Maybe in platform shoes with your hair poofed yeah, that's actually a good point... but he does slouch. I remember passing him on the street in Philadelphia last fall and thinking "Wow, he's really small." You can approximate his height by finding a 41 key accordion and measuring it. There's a scene in the Purple Toupee video where he stands up perfectly straight with it. Calculate the proportions, and depending on how accurately you measured, you should come up with close to 70 inches. The real question is how much he weighs - I've seen him stand on top of his accordion case... I'm 5'10" and skinny and can't stand on mine without worrying about it breaking. Granted, his is smaller, and has less hollow area, but I'd say he can't be much more than 110 or 120... Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "You keep handing out horseshoes * This space inadvertently Horseshoes have gotta be tossed." -Moxy Fruvous * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #12-22 ******************************