Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #12-23 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 12, Number 23 Tuesday, 24 November 1998 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Mp3s Re: TMBG: Mp3s Re: TMBG: The truth about Linnell (incredibly pointless but on-topic) Re: TMBG: The truth about Linnell (incredibly pointless but on-topic) Re: TMBG: Mp3s Re: TMBG: Mp3s Re: TMBG: Mp3s Re: TMBG: Mp3s Non TMBG: Negativland Re: TMBG: The truth about Linnell (incredibly pointless but on-topic) Re: TMBG: Mp3s Re: Non TMBG: Negativland Re: TMBG: The truth about Linnell (incredibly pointless but on-topic) TMBG: The truth about Linnell (incredibly pointless but on-topic) TMBG: Pink, Lincoln Albums Re: TMBG: Pink, Lincoln Albums TMBG: Bootleg page Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <36592875.DAD9927B@pacificnet.net> Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 02:18:51 -0700 From: Gary Subject: Re: TMBG: Mp3s > Adam Tyner wrote: > > > > > Basically, do you think it's right to download and keep mp3s of in-print, > readily available material that you don't own? I mean, for a radio promo > like "Live!! NYC" or an out-of-print single like "I Palindrome I", I can > see why people would be interested in keeping mp3s of those songs on their > hard drive, and maybe I'm just a prude or something, but I just don't think > it's cool to give away mp3s of songs from soundtracks or readily available > b-sides... > > Anyone else feel this way, or is there just something wrong with me? :-) > I think I came off as a bit of a prick on the newsgroup, but that's just > 'cause I feel pretty strongly about this. > > -Adam > I agree with you but I'll be surprised if anyone else on this list will. A couple of times in the last year I posted about how it was wrong to trade the unreleased, "leaked" Factory Showroom Sessions tape. 95% of the responses told me to go to hell. So if they won't even respect the Johns' wishes that fans keep out of their private vaults, they probably won't agree to not pass around the released stuff. By the way, John Linnell has expressed how he dislikes this in at least one interview I've seen. (They haven't said no to bootlegs of live concert/radio/TV performances though.) I'm going to sit back now and watch all the guilty people try to defend their actions. -B O N G O [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 06:02:49 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: Mp3s Message-ID: <19981123.060304.3662.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> Here we go round again... i love these recurring threads... > I agree with you but I'll be surprised if anyone else on this >list will. A couple of >times in the last year I posted about how it was wrong to trade the >unreleased, "leaked" >Factory Showroom Sessions tape. but see... it's unreleased material... you can't find it anywhere else. It's not like i'm listening to my FS Sessions tape as opposed to my CD of FS. It's just there as a supplement. ya know? and the reason i continue to trade that tape is because #1 i know that if/when they do release the material officially, i will buy it. #2 We're not even sure that any of this material will *ever* be released any longer. the next album is going to be a "childrens" album and they don't even play most of the unreleased songs live any longer in their shows... and of those that are, like "older," they've said that it was probably going to remain a "live-only" song. > So if they >won't even respect the Johns' wishes that fans keep out of their >private vaults, they >probably won't agree to not pass around the released stuff. well... you must've skipped my last post... i'm all for the released stuff... and from my stance, as a fan, i don't care about the unreleased stuff or no longer available material because.... as far as i'm concerned it's just another way to let people hear your music and promote what you're doing. I already said i was a hypocrite and if i was the johns i'm sure i wouldn't feel quite as strongly about having material i didn't want the public to hear openly listen to my stuff... but adam asked for our own personal stances so... but i wouldn't, in the least, be upset if someone got hooked on to the band after hearing the tape. > By the >way, John Linnell has >expressed how he dislikes this in at least one interview I've seen. >(They haven't said no >to bootlegs of live concert/radio/TV performances though.) because they know that, for the most part, it promotes what they're doing. And yes, i'ver heard that interview with linnell (wasn't it destin's? everyoen knows that *one* interview cuz it was posted on the web) and of the near 300 shows i have, have yet to hear them say anything about it again... > I'm going to sit back now and watch all the guilty people try to >defend their >actions. damn proud. :) most people that will trade bootlegs aren't the type that are just doing it to avoid buying the albums. That said, i think it's perfectly "moral" and dandy to trade the shows. Bootleg traders are a rare, on the edge of OCD type, we get whatever we can from the band because we want to hear it all... which tells me that they're not gonna pursue the FS bootleg if they don't already have FS. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <002f01be1710$09824340$f83288cf@danielle> From: "Danielle Gaither" Subject: Re: TMBG: The truth about Linnell (incredibly pointless but on-topic) Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 12:35:09 -0600 -----Original Message----- From: Lawrence P Solomon >yeah, that's actually a good point... but he does slouch. I remember >passing him on the street in Philadelphia last fall and thinking "Wow, >he's really small." Good to know I'm not the only person who's noticed that. He doesn't appear to be slouched in the picture in question, but it's hard to tell for sure. It occurred to me that I'd never seen them standing still right next to each other before. >You can approximate his height by finding a 41 key accordion and >measuring it. There's a scene in the Purple Toupee video where he Well, since I don't have access to one of those, that isn't exactly an option for me... :) >stands up perfectly straight with it. Calculate the proportions, and >depending on how accurately you measured, you should come up with close >to 70 inches. Close, perhaps, but not quite there. I'd put him around 5'8" or 5'9", tops. It certainly isn't unheard of for short men to lie about their height. :) >The real question is how much he weighs - I've seen him stand on top of >his accordion case... I'm 5'10" and skinny and can't stand on mine >without worrying about it breaking. Granted, his is smaller, and has >less hollow area, but I'd say he can't be much more than 110 or 120... That's probably about right. Short of hypoglycemia or drug use, I'd be curious to know how on earth he stays so damn thin. Confessing to a twinge of jealousy, Inspector Over the Mine ------------------------------ Message-ID: <0qKPfFa00WB=0a=Y80@andrew.cmu.edu> Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 14:43:13 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: The truth about Linnell (incredibly pointless but on-topic) Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 23-Nov-98 Re: TMBG: The truth about L.. by "Danielle Gaither"@airma > That's probably about right. Short of hypoglycemia or drug use, I'd be > curious to know how on earth he stays so damn thin. maintaining the very high metabolism rate he has? :) maybe he just doesn't have much of an appetite (maybe he can't cook? :). I lost a lot of my appetite when I came here, but then again, that could just be campus food. :) Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "You keep handing out horseshoes * This space inadvertently Horseshoes have gotta be tossed." -Moxy Fruvous * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981123205153.24467.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Todd Wetherbee" Subject: Re: TMBG: Mp3s Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 12:51:48 PST I would to thank all those responsible for making my first post to the list in 4 years possible. I appreciate your support. Something else we should remember about this mp3 thing... For every person that downloads free stuff so they don't have to buy the CD, there's at least one person who downloads the free stuff to see if they like the band, which in turn raises CD sales for QUALITY bands (i.e. TMBG). So the fans aren't losing (they get free samples of music they're thinking about buying), the record companies aren't losing, and the QUALITY bands aren't losing. The only people that are losing are the bands that SUCK (and god knows there are enough of them). Peace and love to you, this new generation of TMBG-listers Farside And screw anti-non-TMBG-post non-TMBG posts. ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 16:18:06 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Mp3s In a message dated 11/23/98 3:54:26 PM, morning_pilaf@hotmail.com writes: >For every >person that downloads free stuff so they don't have to buy the CD, >there's at least one person who downloads the free stuff to see if they > >like the band, which in turn raises CD sales for QUALITY bands (i.e. >TMBG). So the fans aren't losing (they get free samples of music >they're thinking about buying), for the record, *this* is how i've been relying on discovering bands lately... you can't rely on radio anymore. american we-play-the-same-50-songs radio. in fact, because of me downloading a wav file, i just purchased an elevator to hell cd today. yay! sarah ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 15:24:51 -0600 From: Jason Arnold Subject: Re: TMBG: Mp3s Message-id: If it wasn't for mp3's I would have purchased most of the cd's I have today. At 3:18 PM -0600 11/23/98, KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: >In a message dated 11/23/98 3:54:26 PM, morning_pilaf@hotmail.com writes: > >>For every >>person that downloads free stuff so they don't have to buy the CD, >>there's at least one person who downloads the free stuff to see if they >> >>like the band, which in turn raises CD sales for QUALITY bands (i.e. >>TMBG). So the fans aren't losing (they get free samples of music >>they're thinking about buying), > >for the record, *this* is how i've been relying on discovering bands lately... >you can't rely on radio anymore. american we-play-the-same-50-songs radio. > >in fact, because of me downloading a wav file, i just purchased an elevator to >hell cd today. yay! > > >sarah ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19981123163801.007adca0@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 16:38:01 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Mp3s At 03:24 PM 11/23/98 -0600, Jason Arnold wrote: >If it wasn't for mp3's I would have purchased most of the cd's I have today. And while I too have bought albums where I first heard a song or 2 in mp3 format, my point really centered around b-sides to singles and songs on soundtracks, which I think are kind of in a different category. I'd be more likely to buy a whole album if I heard one or two songs I liked than I'd be to buy a soundtrack with just one song I like that I already have an mp3 of. If that makes any sense. -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.crystal-night.com/~ctyner/tuscadero.html http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ He-Man, Tuscadero, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, & more! ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 18:30:13 -0500 Subject: Non TMBG: Negativland Message-ID: <19981123.184120.8982.0.gray42@juno.com> I'm proposing this question to the list cause I know there are a few Negativland fans out there. And with the large number of people on the list SOMEONE might have the answer. 1) In the first track of Negativland's "Escape from noise, where is the background music from (it's great)? 2) Is there anywhere I could possibly find this music in midi form on the web? Mysterio Gal (Hotel Detective) "It's like being the world's tallest midget." --Flansburgh MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 18:41:17 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: The truth about Linnell (incredibly pointless but on-topic) Message-ID: <19981123.184121.8982.1.gray42@juno.com> >The real question is how much he weighs - I've seen him stand on top >of >his accordion case... I'm 5'10" and skinny and can't stand on mine >without worrying about it breaking. Granted, his is smaller, and has >less hollow area, but I'd say he can't be much more than 110 or 120... Damn-yeah, in the DLS vidio he looked insanely thin (almost a skeleton 8 ^ 0 ) in that tight outfit, or maybe it was some crazy camera work. Hmeheh, people say the camera seems to add weight, not true in this case. 3P Mysterio Gal (mmmm... skinny Linnell) "It's like being the world's tallest midget." --Flansburgh MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 17:49:16 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: Mp3s Message-ID: <19981123.175035.15374.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> >I would to thank all those responsible for making my first post to the >list in 4 years possible. I appreciate your support. yay! we delurked someone! :) >For every >person that downloads free stuff so they don't have to buy the CD, >there's at least one person who downloads the free stuff to see if >they >like the band, which in turn raises CD sales for QUALITY bands call it an odd twist of fate... but today i was talking to this guy about the warped tour last summer and somehow through the natural progression of this conversation... TMBG was mentioned. so anyways... he said something along the lines of "They Might Be Giants? My friends and i downloaded one of their mp3's... you know what those are, right?... it was uh, istanbul, we cranked up the speakers at my friends house and his roomates all came down about to complain about it but ended up grooving with us" and so the story of new converts arises :) >And screw anti-non-TMBG-post non-TMBG posts. i like you already... you should post more often :P take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html "ain't nobody does it better than J" ---2SJ's ________________________________________________________________ Get secure free e-mail that you don't need Web access to use from Juno, the world's second largest online service. Download your free software at http://www.juno.com/getit.b.html. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 01:46:19 +0000 (GMT) From: jolley Subject: Re: Non TMBG: Negativland Message-id: <01J4J95OEH869380W3@accuwx.com> Organization: AccuWeather, Inc >I'm proposing this question to the list cause I know there are a few >Negativland fans out there. And with the large number of people on the >list SOMEONE might have the answer. > >1) In the first track of Negativland's "Escape from noise, where is the >background music from (it's great)? I believe that music with the first track was taken from a radio/tv music collection. They are like musical clip art. They are produced and can be bought by radio/tv/whoever wants stock music instead of having to go thru the trouble of making their own. It could also be something they put together from a variety of sources, however I think it the first, with some effects added. >2) Is there anywhere I could possibly find this music in midi form on the >web? Probably not, unless you make it yourself... btw...you don't actually have a copy of the original "U2" single? I've been trying to get a dub of that.... Peter ohlert@accuwx.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000e01be1751$d49866e0$ac3588cf@danielle> From: "Danielle Gaither" Subject: Re: TMBG: The truth about Linnell (incredibly pointless but on-topic) Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 20:23:49 -0600 From: gray42@juno.com >Damn-yeah, in the DLS vidio he looked insanely thin (almost a skeleton 8 >^ 0 ) in that tight outfit, or maybe it was some crazy camera work. >Hmeheh, people say the camera seems to add weight, not true in this case. >3P The really scary thing would be if the camera *did* add weight. :) >Mysterio Gal (mmmm... skinny Linnell) Ohhhhh, yeahhhh. An admitted sucker for slight men, Inspector Over the Mine ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 19:57:08 -0700 (MST) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: The truth about Linnell (incredibly pointless but on-topic) Message-ID: On Mon, 23 Nov 1998, Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > maybe he just doesn't have much of an appetite (maybe he can't cook? :). maybe he just doesn't know whether he'd rather be having a bottle of vinegar or whether he'd rather be having an egg, or whether he'd rather be having an order of bacon or whether he'd rather be having a basket of garlic bread... --jim kuemmerle, who'd rather be having saag paneer right about now... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Pink, Lincoln Albums Message-ID: <19981123.225345.4743.2.sailormorningstar@juno.com> From: sailormorningstar@juno.com (Celeste A Majetic) Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 22:56:15 EST Hello All of you giant heads! Sorry I accidently sent two messages earlier..... I just bought two Giants albums, this afternoon...I bought the Pink Album, and Lincoln...They are equally kewl! I love Don't Lets Start, and Ana Ng..They are my favorite songs on both CDs. I noticed on the little book on the back...it sayz...Dial-A-Song is 718-387-6962...I want to dial..........But...it's to much money!!!!! My question is..is there an 800 number version??? >Going to www.ebay.com and searching for They Might Be Giants will also bring >these up plus other items of potential interest. May I ask what these items are? Because at the moment I have no internet access. (However, I will soon.) Thanks! Also Refering to Trillian >A) She was blond, and she was a woman. A blond chick. um....actually...in the movie Trillian is blond...but in the books...she is a brunette. As for the radio show...i dunno' (HEY THAT rhymed HEHE) -Karen aka Celeste :P "Living Is Easy With Eyes Closed, Mis-Understanding All You See." -John Lennon....another fab John L! ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Kreadoubt@aol.com Message-ID: <26988eee.365a3309@aol.com> Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 23:16:09 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Pink, Lincoln Albums In a message dated 11/23/98 7:57:48 PM Pacific Standard Time, sailormorningstar@juno.com writes: << Dial-A-Song is 718-387-6962...I want to dial..........But...it's to much money!!!!! My question is..is there an 800 number version??? >> Just a regular long distance call, free when you call from work! :) "Ants do it all the time" ------------------------------ From: Phil Jackson Message-Id: <199811240505.AAA24131@angels.heaven.net> Subject: TMBG: Bootleg page Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 00:04:01 -0500 Hey everybody, I just made some updates in my bootleg page...feel free to check them out! ~Eric "Action" Jackson~ My Bootleg page and TMBG worship site Http://i.am/HellHotel [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #12-23 ******************************