Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #12-25 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 12, Number 25 Thursday, 26 November 1998 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: TMBG themes TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #12-23 Re: TMBG: Cute Linnell Re: TMBG: weird dream...linnell being small Re: TMBG: Cute Linnell TMBG: old-school list folk Re: TMBG: old-school list folk Re: TMBG: old-school list folk Re: TMBG: Cute Linnell vs. flans TMBG: non-tmbg : laura cantrell cd Re: TMBG: old-school list folk TMBG: Linnel...sex god?! hehe Re: TMBG: Linnel...sex god?! hehe Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #12-23 Re: TMBG: Mike Leffel (was old-school list folk) Re: TMBG: weird dream...linnell being small Re: NON-TMBG: HHGTTG question Re: TMBG: Mike Leffel (was old-school list folk) TMBG: more nontmbg shtuff... yet tmbg-related bands :) Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <19981125164611.27278.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Todd Wetherbee" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG themes Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 08:46:11 PST >broobstick This is the coolest word i've seen all week. I want to find a frying pan with a broobstick surface. >Can anyone think of any others? There is the Xerox shop references, i.e. My panacea's in a xerox shop (Snowball in Hell) and I got a crush copy shop clerk (Sleeping in the Flowers) Who is this copy shop clerk that's occupying Flansburgh's thoughts? As for the scarecrows, at least in where your eyes don't go they seem to signify this creepy image of yourself that you sometimes get that completely throws your thinking part off (has anybody seen Natural Born Killers? Woody every now and then has this image of a really tacky looking version of himself flash across his mind. That's what i'd compare it to.). It's kind of like when you're talking and you happen to see yourself in a mirror that you didn't know was there and you're like 'jeez, that was me? i didn't know i looked like that.' Then when you look back at the mirror you just look like you normally do when you look in the mirror. I think the song say it much more eloquently (or is it eloquentlier) though: (not broobstick) Where your eyes don't go a filthy scarecrow waves his broomstick arms and does a parody of each unconscious thing you do When you turn around and look he's gone behind you on his face he's wearing your confused expression where your eyes don't go Pure genius. Farside ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #12-23 Message-ID: <19981125.154721.10255.0.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A Klein) Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 14:49:08 EST There's also references to Rabid Child, The World's Address, and Chess Piece face, all in Hey, Mr. DJ. Derek "What is everyone staring at?" ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000d01be18af$1c83dda0$6bc76ac6@tooms> From: "Bridgie Therease" Subject: Re: TMBG: Cute Linnell Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 12:06:34 -0800 >>agree??????? I wanna' know if Im the only weird one..... >Like I said, you have Mysterio Gal and me in your corner. And several females >on this list have talked about how adorable they think he is, so you're far from >alone, dear. Hey, I was in the chat room at tmbg.com once and heard fans of >*both* sexes talking about how attractive Linnell is. Apparently he has a >pretty solid following. ohhhh yeah, you could say that. :) i have to admit, i always thought he was *cute*, but i never really realized to what extent he was until i saw Them live a couple times this September. my amazement at how goodlooking mr. linnell was just added to the number of factors that made me feel my age (i.e. 15) at the concerts. i was up in the front row and everyone around me was over twenty and FAR cooler than me, and to add to that, i just couldn't help thinking over and over, "my GOD is he cute!" which was, in my estimation, a very middleschool way to react, in contrast with the calm coolness surrounding me. but i digress. what i am driving at here is that linnell is a very attractive person, and the sense of embarrassment i got from karen's original letter was unneeded. there is no shame in finding the man cute. hell, i've described him as sexy. is that wrong? *bridget* http://www.proaxis.com/~tooms/ <- Now updated celestia@tmbg.org she's a twentieth century girl hanging on for dear life.... ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 15:27:55 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: weird dream...linnell being small Remember...Linnell did get 9th place for most beautiful person of the year ::big Linnell fan herself, not that flans isn't cool, but still...:: hehe reminds me of those conversations about which Beatle is cuter. -Amber the Transcendent Mistress of the Known Cosmos ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <2258705c.365c7787@aol.com> Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 16:32:55 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Cute Linnell In a message dated 11/25/98 3:06:40 PM, tooms@proaxis.com writes: >>>agree??????? I wanna' know if Im the only weird one..... > >>Like I said, you have Mysterio Gal and me in your corner. And several > >females > >>on this list have talked about how adorable they think he is, so you're >far > >from > >>alone, dear. uh, okay. teenybopper mode=on yep, i used to have a massive uh, crush on linnell.. in fact my tmbg.org alias is linnellgirl. so. okay. teenybopper mode=off sarah ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 14:36:30 -0700 (MST) From: Tara Weber Subject: TMBG: old-school list folk Message-ID: >> yay! we delurked someone! :) > > Something like that. I've not been subscribed to the list for most of > that time - like 3yrs 9mos. I used to post quite a bit back in the > day... but I don't think anyone is around from that era. Anybody out > there been around since '94 or '95? > > Farside Me! (frantically waving my hand in the air like a first grader) I've been a listie since '94--actually, I used to post fairly often for a while around '95-'96 or so (at about the same time as that infamous Oklahoma Flesh Fest thread, I believe....does that still ring bells for anyone? :) ). But it seems I don't have much time anymore for keeping up with the list, because unfortunately I'm older than I've ever been and now I'm even older... time is marching on, --Tara (who has ALMOST made it through her first semester of indentured servitude, i.e. grad school...) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981125214424.29764.rocketmail@send106.yahoomail.com> Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 13:44:24 -0800 (PST) From: Ethuilcalen Subject: Re: TMBG: old-school list folk ---Tara Weber wrote: > > >> yay! we delurked someone! :) > > > > Something like that. I've not been subscribed to the list for most of that time - like 3yrs 9mos. I used to post quite a bit back in the day... but I don't think anyone is around from that era. Anybody out there been around since '94 or '95? > > > > Farside > > Me! (frantically waving my hand in the air like a first grader) > > I've been a listie since '94--actually, I used to post fairly often for a while around '95-'96 or so (at about the same time as that infamous Oklahoma Flesh Fest thread, I believe....does that still ring bells for anyone? :) ). Hey, I remember that too, Tara :) I think I joined in either '94 or '95...sometime around HS graduation ;P Geez, I feel old...*gets out her cane and starts muttering about 'young whippersnappers' and 'the good old days'* ;) Julie :) == The Quote of the Day Brought to you by the Cerulean Blue Wierdo: Hige sceal pe heardra, heorte pe cenre, mod sceal pe mare pe ure maegen lytlad. "Will shall be the sterner, heart the bolder, spirit the greater as our heart lessens." _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Message-Id: <199811252222.RAA06752@omni.cc.purdue.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: old-school list folk Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 17:22:57 -0500 (EST) > > Something like that. I've not been subscribed to the list for most of > that time - like 3yrs 9mos. I used to post quite a bit back in the > day... but I don't think anyone is around from that era. Anybody out > there been around since '94 or '95? > Well, I've been on the list pretty much since its start, back around 1990 or so (it's been so long, it's hard to remember), when there were maybe a few dozen subscribers. Alright, that was technically a different list; this incarnation started a few months after Micah's version died, only to be resurrected in its present form (much to the relief of a bunch of panicked listees who had been trading panicked email looking for a new forum). At least, that's how I remember it... m@t ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 15:55:01 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: Cute Linnell vs. flans Message-ID: <19981125.155915.19510.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> HEY hEY! >hell, i've described him as sexy. is that wrong? i dunno, i think linnell is better looking than flansburgh but i find flansy to be a much more attractive person. all the while... i think linnell is, in a sense, more interesting... but maybe that's just because he's a bit more mysterious to me since i've never really been able to talk to him and cuz (i've always found) his music tends to be a bit more figurative than flansy's... he's got one of those personalities that just make you want to "figure out" what he's all about. i'm sure no one has a clue what i'm talking about so i'll shut up. :) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 17:51:44 -0700 Subject: TMBG: non-tmbg : laura cantrell cd Message-ID: <19981125.175200.22470.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> hEY HEy! I just got word that Laura Cantrell released a new 4-song CD somewhere... does anyone have any info (as in what label?) all i know is that "churches of the interstate" is one of the songs, or perhaps the name of the cd... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <365CA901.33BC0C0C@columbus.rr.com> Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 20:04:01 -0500 From: Brian Evans Organization: Swingers Subject: Re: TMBG: old-school list folk Hey all, I'm delurking to say I've been around since '93ish or so. Basically since Soph year in college and I'm FINALLY graduating in two quarters! (it's about time eh?) :) So, anyhoo, most people won't recognize me for the fact that I've rarely posted 'cept around the times when THEY come to Columbus,OH ...and also because I've changed email addy's about, oh, a million times since then :) Back to lurking :) Brian Ethuilcalen wrote: > ---Tara Weber wrote: > > > > >> yay! we delurked someone! :) > > > > > > Something like that. I've not been subscribed to the list for > most of that time - like 3yrs 9mos. I used to post quite a bit back > in the day... but I don't think anyone is around from that era. > Anybody out there been around since '94 or '95? > > > > > > Farside > > > > Me! (frantically waving my hand in the air like a first grader) > > > > I've been a listie since '94--actually, I used to post fairly often > for a while around '95-'96 or so (at about the same time as that > infamous Oklahoma Flesh Fest thread, I believe....does that still ring > bells for anyone? :) ). > > Hey, I remember that too, Tara :) I think I joined in either '94 or > '95...sometime around HS graduation ;P Geez, I feel old...*gets out > her cane and starts muttering about 'young whippersnappers' and 'the > good old days'* ;) > > Julie :) > == > > The Quote of the Day Brought to you by the Cerulean Blue Wierdo: > Hige sceal pe heardra, heorte pe cenre, > mod sceal pe mare pe ure maegen lytlad. > "Will shall be the sterner, heart the bolder, spirit the greater as our heart lessens." > _________________________________________________________ > DO YOU YAHOO!? > Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Linnel...sex god?! hehe Message-ID: <19981125.205152.4743.0.sailormorningstar@juno.com> From: sailormorningstar@juno.com (Celeste A Majetic) Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 20:54:21 EST >Wondering if it's time to repost "John Linnell: Accordion Player and Arthouse >Sex God", hmmmm..please do! I WANNA READ! Sorry.....I am just a little obsessd, but I can't help it! He's adorable! I'm just glad that Im not the only one who thinks so...... Something funny happened last week...I was telling my best friend about how I thought he was cute, then I showed her a pic..(she had never seen him before) and she said "HE LOOKS LIKE A STRING BEAN!" I was mortified! >I assume this remark was an attempt at humor. That said, I never liked the >choice of actress they made in the mini-series. I always imagined Trillian >to be smart, sensible and dark-haired. Of course, I don't remember what her >hair color is described as in the books. In the Books Trillian is a brunette.....I said this before... -Karen aka Celeste :P "I don't want the world, I just want your half." - from "Ana Ng" "Living Is Easy With Eyes Closed, Mis-Understanding All You See." -John Lennon....another fab John L! ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981126022945.27926.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnel...sex god?! hehe Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 18:29:44 PST >In the Books Trillian is a brunette.....I said this before... Teah, but it's not TRUE science fiction until it's purple or green. >"Living Is Easy With Eyes Closed, Mis-Understanding All You See." >-John Lennon....another fab John L! "I think, er, no, I mean, er, yes but it's alright. At least, I think it's not to bad" <--------- I can't BELEIVE you left that out!!! Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com ICQ#: 17262308 contact me! http://profiles.yahoo.com/LeChuck/ "I'd give my life to be dead." -Francesco Dellamorte, "Cemetery Man" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <365CCA75.3AA1@maristb.marist.edu> Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 22:26:45 -0500 From: Misty Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #12-23 > There's also references to Rabid Child, The World's Address, and Chess > Piece face, all in Hey, Mr. DJ. > > Derek > "What is everyone staring at?" > There's also a mention of Chess Piece Face in the song "Rabid Child." And don't forget John and John's reference to themselves in the song "They Might Be Giants." Misty ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 22:20:04 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Mike Leffel (was old-school list folk) Message-ID: <19981125.222223.8926.3.gray42@juno.com> What time period was Leffel on the list, just curious Mysterio Gal (Hotel Detective) "It's like being the world's tallest midget." --Flansburgh MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 22:12:49 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: weird dream...linnell being small Message-ID: <19981125.222223.8926.2.gray42@juno.com> Let me just say I have a thing for nerdy (please don't hit me :), dark, metaphorical, anorexic guys who can sing... and look great in tight clothes :P Believe me, I think flansie-pooh is absolutely adourable, but I really am the Linnell type. Mysterio Gal (Hotel Detective) "It's like being the world's tallest midget." --Flansburgh MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 22:07:53 -0500 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: HHGTTG question Message-ID: <19981125.222222.8926.1.gray42@juno.com> >I assume this remark was an attempt at humor. That said, I never >liked the >choice of actress they made in the mini-series. I always imagined >Trillian >to be smart, sensible and dark-haired. Of course, I don't remember >what her >hair color is described as in the books. *Mysterio Gal whips out her bible- The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy* Ok, lessee... Ah! Here's the exact quote- "Trillian was a girl that Zaphod had picked up recently while visiting a planet, just for fun, incognito. She was slim, darkish, humanoid, with long waves of BLACK hair, a full mouth, an odd little knob of a nose and ridiculously brown eyes. With her red head scarf knotted in that particular way and her long flowing silky brown dress, she looked vaguely Arabic." There, you got your proof from THE MAN. Other points of proof include: The Illustrated Hichhiker's guide, and the graphic novel. * ------------------------------------------------------------------- MIDGET SPOILER ALERT FOR MOSTLY HARMLESS BTW, anyone else notice the "BOB" coincidence (subgeniuses?) in Mostly Harmless? When Arthur lands on that planet of beings who worship "BOB" Mysterio Gal (who would like to go on a trip to Cowtown) "It's like being the world's tallest midget." --Flansburgh MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 21:42:42 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: Mike Leffel (was old-school list folk) Message-ID: <19981125.214644.21862.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> >What time period was Leffel on the list, just curious Leffel was geez... i think he joined late '95ish. but i think the real leffel-worshipping era was maybe late '96... possibly even mid-'97. allright, i'm no help... check the archives, it can't be too hard since 90% of the messages in each digest will have been posted by him. :) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 21:46:22 -0700 Subject: TMBG: more nontmbg shtuff... yet tmbg-related bands :) Message-ID: <19981125.214644.21862.3.TMBgirl@juno.com> allright so while i'm on this "catch-up with the bands you love" phase... candy butchers are signed to RPM records? when did this happen? when are they gonna release an album? anyone have any news regarding Brian Dewan's next album... last i heard it was finished, he's just looking for a new label? any clue what chris temple (lincoln) and co. are doing now? Last i heard John Wozniak of Marcy Playground had invited him to join MP... but don't fear! (don't want to lead any of you kids astray like i did on the message board) i highly doubt anything like that would *ever* happen :P take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #12-25 ******************************