Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #12-29 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 12, Number 29 Monday, 30 November 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: Hope for VA after all? Re: TMBG: video Bootlegs TMBG: TMBG and Coffee Shops Re: TMBG: Linnell...other band members? private helicopter & Re: TMBG: IN STARBUCKS!!!!! re: TMBG: old-school list folk TMBG: Chrome Circle TMBG: TMBG OT: Superman vs. Batman TMBG: tmbg on npr? Re: TMBG: tmbg on npr? Re: TMBG: tmbg on npr? Re: TMBG: tmbg on npr? Re: TMBG: tmbg on npr? TMBG: The Eddie Files Re: TMBG: tmbg on npr? Re: TMBG: tmbg on npr? Re: TMBG: tmbg on npr? NON TMBG: Debate TMBG: mtv sayeth "we don't careth" TMBG: Private Helicopter Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: LinnellLvr@aol.com Message-ID: <4087fdd0.366175c2@aol.com> Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 11:26:42 EST Subject: TMBG: Hope for VA after all? It was really, really weird. This past Friday (the 27th), I was out raking leaves in the yard (spasmotic joy here...not), feeling really, really depressed. Raking leaves just takes the stuff out of me. Anyway, I got a phone call from my best guy pal and went inside to get it. He didn't even introduce himself, just said, "Turn on the radio to 94.9" (a radio station out here in good old Virginia Beach), so I did, and lo and behold, they were playing Birdhouse In Your Soul!!! Well, yeah, hell yeah, I flipped out. They NEVER play TMBG on any radio station here in Virginia Beach. I don't know about other parts of this great state, but not here. Anyway, I found out that it was some kind of all-request day at 94.9...man, I'd love to shake the hand of the guy who got TMBG on the radio here. That just completely made my day. Any other VA Beachers out there hear BHIYS?? Leslie ------------------------------ From: KLESLI@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 11:56:27 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: video Bootlegs Where can I find a list of these amazing Russ videos? And ordering info and all that? Thanks Les ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981129165109.13442.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Mike McGuire" Subject: TMBG: TMBG and Coffee Shops Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 08:51:09 PST I work in an independant coffee shop in my home town, and I play TMBG all the time, and Mono Puff, and David Byrne, and Talking Heads and all the good stuff. I think I'm the only person in this town that listens to TMBG, so I try to spread the love. *Mike* ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 12:51:16 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell...other band members? Message-ID: <19981129.130107.3254.2.gray42@juno.com> >I thought that was funny. But, it's true. Most girls do go for Leo >DiCRAPrio (In my opinion) and Brad Pitt.. My question is why? Sure, >they can be kind of cute at times. But not at all, in comparison to a >lot of other guys. Also, I bet that in real life they are complete >jerks...............(You can just tell.) ummm, I think Brad Pitt was pretty hot in 12 Monkeys (as a complete lunatic) :P >What is going on Mysterio Gal? I love that show! More weird >co-in-ki-dinks! >AND YES...I DO SEE THE SIMILARITIES! I like the Superman adventures a >little bit more than the Batman adventures. Superman is just too >kewl. Yes, both are great, animation is superb, I think it was Supermans hair do that did it in for me, ah that spiriling lock will make you go insane (but everyone wants to see that groovy thang) As for batman, I like the darkness, and the mental problems. I think the riddler (new episodes (he's got Linnell's eyes) would make a great Linnell. I mean some of Linnell's songs are riddles in that we always enjoy interpretting them, while Flansy is very straight forward and romantic. He likes the big picture (therefore Superman). Hmmm, more art... NeeHeeeHeeHeeHeeHeeeHeeeee Mysterio Gal (Hotel Detective) "It's like being the world's tallest midget." --Flansburgh MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <9e7308f.36619801@aol.com> Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 13:52:49 EST Subject: private helicopter & Re: TMBG: IN STARBUCKS!!!!! i saw the new HD video flansburgh directed last night... nifty. i think it screams 'flans', maybe that's just me. :) there are subway scenes of the band that weridly remind me of the mono puff video. i didn't see a helicopter but they obviously used it to fly over the city, ah, you'll see it. In a message dated 11/28/98 11:28:05 PM, tmbgirl@juno.com writes: > >are you sure it wasn't the radio? i managed to hear TMBG -and- Mono Puff >on the radio today... there's hope for D-Town yet :) crankin out the xmas songs eh? ;) hey, now i gota off topic-ish questio, with semi tmbg content*. anyone heard the rufus wainwright holiday song? my mom keeps hearing it played on the radio as a real song.. it's the one hw does in his gap commercial. hmm. * hal cragin is now playing bass for rufus wainwright. sarah now playing: elevator to hell ------------------------------ Message-Id: <4.1.19981129132646.00911be0@mail.utexas.edu> Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 13:30:26 -0600 From: paul swan Subject: re: TMBG: old-school list folk > > > Oo! Oo! I was here... though not so ancient as Nicole The Wonder Nerd or > Queen Sneepy, per > se, I was around during the days of our dear departed Mike Leffel, the > BEGINNING of the OMLTs, > and the "Marilyn Hanson" thread... i think i've been around since oh, hmmmm 93? late 92 maybe? a long long time anyway.... on the old micah list to start with.... i guess i'm pretty much a lurker too except when i get hooked on something, like, i don't know, the naming the john henry girl thread... or other such things... (persephone still speaks to me... though she was much appeased after we properly named her....) thinking back i can't believe i've been here so long... i guess time is marching on for me too.... anyway... and so on and so forth... rabidchild paul swan ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 14:02:33 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Chrome Circle Message-ID: <19981129.143101.-186743.0.DamienW@juno.com> From: damienw@juno.com (Damien A Wellman) On Sun, 29 Nov 1998 02:04:02 -0500 (EST) owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org writes: >One of these days I mean to post about this book that had quite a bit >of mentioning of Them in it...think it was by Larry Dixon and >Mercedes Lackey. Chrome Circle series, if I remember right.. Chrome Circle is the name of the book; the series is SERRAted Edge. That said, I'll go ahead and say it: the mention of Them is from a portion of the book when the hero is captured by evil elves (think Tolkien, not Keebler) and they try to use mind-reading magic to discover his plans. The hero then sings They songs (mostly from Flood) at the top of his voice; the mind-readers only pick up the songs and being unused to such high weirdness, are driven insane... which just goes to show that Their music has several practical applications, as well as being sheer art. :) +damienw@juno.com-------------------------------+-------------+ "I should be allowed to blurt out the nearest |Magic: TG | idea, if by random whim one occurs to me... |GURPS | I should be allowed to think." -TMBG |Final Fantasy| SkidMark1 on EFnet #mtgleague |Anime | +------------+http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Alley/4204 | ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: <4e5f58e4.3661b36c@aol.com> Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 15:49:48 EST Subject: TMBG: TMBG OT: Superman vs. Batman In a message dated 11/28/98 9:06:04 PM Eastern Standard Time, sailormorningstar@juno.com writes: << I like the Superman adventures a little bit more than the Batman adventures. Superman is just too kewl. >> = O But batman is so dark and mysterious..he only comes out at night and drives a cool car with nifty little gizmos and contraptions. He didn't need super powers to be cool. But no matter how cool Batman is.. to me, no hero could top Tuxedo Mask..my God is he suave. I guess that whole billowing cape and rose does me in =) -Amber the Transcendent Mistress of the Known Cosmos, Empress for Eternity ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 13:53:30 -0700 Subject: TMBG: tmbg on npr? Message-ID: <19981129.135333.4918.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> hEY hEY! apparently TMBG are on NPR today... perhaps west coasters still have a chance to figure out when/where to listen/record it? take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::quel est votre plus grand souhait musical?::: ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 16:10:39 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg on npr? Message-ID: <19981129.161059.-227407.0.gray42@juno.com> From: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) AAAaaaah, Egads, can you be more specific, where'd you find this information, does it apply to us in Florida. WEEEEAAAAH, I really don't wanna miss this ;) Mysterio Gal (Hotel Detective) "It's like being the world's tallest midget." --Flansburgh MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Kreadoubt@aol.com Message-ID: <2fa09ac4.3661bc25@aol.com> Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 16:27:01 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg on npr? In a message dated 11/29/98 1:22:59 PM Pacific Standard Time, gray42@juno.com writes: << AAAaaaah, Egads, can you be more specific, where'd you find this information, does it apply to us in Florida. >> Yes, please, which Program were they on? -kreadoubt "Stand in the front row, I'll WAVE to you!" JF ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <913d59b7.3661bd58@aol.com> Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 16:32:08 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg on npr? In a message dated 11/29/98 4:22:59 PM, gray42@juno.com writes: >AAAaaaah, Egads, can you be more specific, where'd you find this >information, does it apply to us in Florida. > >WEEEEAAAAH, I really don't wanna miss this ;) i turned it on after i got her mail and there was some crummy blues guy on. hmm.. so i just went to npr.org and ...you know they don't even have a scedule, well, not blatantly.. i'm looking all over, they do not have a schedule. bleh. my local affiliate does though... well mr. blues must have been mountain stage.. here's me.-- 5:00 a.m. - Legislative Gazette - A weekly summary of state government news. 5:30 a.m. - Capitol Connection - Weekly conversation with top state lawmakers. 6:00 a.m. - The Savvy Traveler - Looking for the cheapest flight? Staying in a hotel or renting a car? Rudy Maxa provides colorful stories, helpful hints and practical advice to help make traveling easier. 7:00 a.m. - Weekly Edition - Neal Conan hosts this news magazine which reflects on the past week's events. 8:00 a.m. - Weekend Edition - News, features and commentary with Liane Hanson. 10:00 a.m. - Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me - NPR's new quiz show on day's news. Hosted by Peter Sagall. 11:00 a.m. - Car Talk (R of Saturday) Noon - A Prairie Home Companion - Garrison Keillor presents a program of comedy sketches and music from Lake Wobegon. 2:00 p.m. - Thistle and Shamrock - Fiona Ritchie hosts radio's finest Celtic hour, with music from evolving traditions in Ireland, Scotland, North America and beyond. 3:00 p.m. - Mountain Stage - Grab the best seats in the house during this program of live performance. New performers and established artists provide listeners with intelligent, contemporary. 5:00 p.m. - All Things Considered - News, features and commentary with Daniel Zwerdling. 6:00 p.m. - This American Life - Ira Glass presents interviews, stories, monologues, radio plays and other original works. 7:00 p.m. - Mostly Jazz with Tom Hampson -Tom presents mainstream jazz recordings. (W) Monday - Friday | Saturday | Sunday. (W) = WXXI Production. -- *shrug* sarah ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 15:40:07 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg on npr? Message-ID: <19981129.154123.3902.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> >AAAaaaah, Egads, can you be more specific, where'd you find this >information, does it apply to us in Florida. > >WEEEEAAAAH, I really don't wanna miss this ;) erg don't blame me! someone on the message board posted soemthing along the lines of "TMBG are on NPR right now" at 3:08pm EST today... i just passed on as much info as i could so that someone on the west coast might be able to catch it as i know that some npr stations are staggered take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::Aw, i don't have a red crayon, i ate mine::: ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 14:50:53 -0800 Subject: TMBG: The Eddie Files Message-ID: <19981129.145055.-392571.0.Garrett27@juno.com> From: garrett27@juno.com (Garrett M Liggett) Hey everybody, I haven't written to this list before, so here goes. A couple months ago I was channel surfing and happened to see the very end of a clip showing John and John. There were also a couple other musicians like Al Yankovic but it was the end of the show and they didn't show Them anymore. It was on The Eddie Files on public television. Does anyone know anything about this? Thanks, Garrett ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 17:47:47 -0500 (EST) From: "(*)" Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg on npr? Message-ID: um. i think that this could be referring to an acapella (read SUCKY) performance of "dinner bell" on garison kieler's (i can't spell his name) show. i caught my dad listening to it last night. if you miss this do not worry. do not fret. it was a bad performance, on a mediocore show. love olivia ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: <7bbc121e.3661d0bb@aol.com> Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 17:54:51 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg on npr? In a message dated 98-11-29 17:48:48 EST, you write: << um. i think that this could be referring to an acapella (read SUCKY) performance of "dinner bell" on garison kieler's (i can't spell his name) show. i caught my dad listening to it last night. if you miss this do not worry. do not fret. it was a bad performance, on a mediocore show. >> I certainly wouldn't call a performance sucky just because it's acapella. Sounds pretty cool to me! Kay ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 21:48:07 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg on npr? Message-ID: <19981129.214811.3630.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> >um. i think that this could be referring to an acapella (read SUCKY) >performance of "dinner bell" on garison kieler's (i can't spell his >name) >show. i caught my dad listening to it last night. if you miss this do >not >worry. do not fret. it was a bad performance, on a mediocore show. erg! i woulda totally dug that! ah well... i'm just starting to re-introduce myself to the wonders of Rockapella and all... which reminds me... is the chick that does Sean Altman's page still on the list? nancy? take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::ain't nobody does it better than J::: ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 20:57:29 -0800 (PST) From: leonard helfgott Subject: NON TMBG: Debate Message-ID: I thought I'd ask a question for all of the high schoolers on the list. Do any of you here do debate? I joined debate a couple of months ago, and its really fun. For the high schoolers, I'd suggest doing lincoln douglas debate, it's the kind of debate that doesn't take up 8 hours a day of your time. I apologize for the off-topicness (or, in debate lingo, non-topicality) of this message, just trying to find some more debaters out there. Cap'n Helfgott ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <9ce96aee.3662358c@aol.com> Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 01:05:00 EST Subject: TMBG: mtv sayeth "we don't careth" director: john flansburg leave off the xtra h for hmph. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19981130011135.0085ac30@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 01:11:35 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Private Helicopter Just finished watching the Private Helicopter video on 120 Minutes...but c'mon..."Flansburg"? How hard is it to put in that 'h' at the end? -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.crystal-night.com/~ctyner/tuscadero.html http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ He-Man, Tuscadero, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, & more! ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #12-29 ******************************