Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #12-3 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 12, Number 3 Tuesday, 3 November 1998 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Fear of pop TMBG: opinions (fear of pop) TMBG: Fresh Ideas, Fresh Faces TMBG: the rumor was revelaed so... Re: TMBG: Fear of pop Re: Non-TMBG: Catullus (was TMBG: Fear of pop) Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sun, 1 Nov 1998 22:22:26 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: Fear of pop Message-ID: <19981101.225036.20182.7.TMBgirl@juno.com> Hey HEY! So as many of you know i'm a big marcy playground fan aside from one awful hit song of theirs that sounds very-little like anything else on the album... anyways, they recently had to cancel the last half of their tour (the night before they came to denver... damn them!) because they couldn't sell enough tickets. ***They were booked to play the same venues as TMBG*** all of which TMBG managed to sell-out, or come close to selling-out, on this tour. I think the problem is that TMBG's fan base is at colleges (hence why they've been touring on college campuses for ages now) because, they don't fit in with the mainstream... college stations tend to be most of their air-play. Well, maybe because they feel better being a band >>with >>a small number of followers rather than a band with a large number of >>band-wagon jumpers. maybe, because back in 1990 that was TMBG. I think they've progressed into a fairly steady fan base. Somewhere marcy playground is headed as long as they can deal with the shock of not being one-hit-wonders and not break-up... >> TMBG are all gods. Well, god-like. They deserve to have lots of >>money, >>so, for once, they should have a popular song newbie fan i take it. They did have their popular songs... they had their popular album... don't believe me? i have the friggin rolling stone with Flood in the top-40 and two of the songs charting... >Anyway, ok, maybe I would be a bit burned if teeny boppers started >drooling over them not because of their music, but because it was >popular. But they definitely deserve a lot of recognition, (but I >can't personally reccomend money, it brings nothing but distress.) as greedy and mean-spirited as this sounds... coming directly from a fans POV... i fear them getting money. I think if they did we would be a lot less likely to see TMBG as active. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: filthyscarecrow@webtv.net Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 15:39:22 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: opinions (fear of pop) Message-ID: <14996-363E187A-45@mailtod-152.iap.bryant.webtv.net> I wasn't asking any question. I was just giving my opinions on the whole Dr.Worm thing. Thank you. "Yeah, but then you wouldn't get it."-them ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Message-Id: <199811030206.VAA07912@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: Fresh Ideas, Fresh Faces Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 21:06:57 -0500 (EST) I have some fresh ideas for the web site, but as usual I have no free time. As such I'm turning to you, the web viewing public, looking for those few people who really want to make a meaningful contribution to the site. To that end, I am looking for the following sorts of things: * New games / Updated Games Our Arcade area, while quite cool, has not kept up with the rapidly developing web. If you're a programmer and have some cool ideas for new games, or for ways of updating the current ones, please contact me. * In-depth writers I have several ideas for some more "in depth" serious sections of the site. Something a little more meaty to balance out the games. If you're interested in writing and in doing some basic research this may be for you. * The eternal quest for graphics. I am not an artist, and I don't play one on the web. I'm still looking for a graphics person with the time to put some real effort into the site and work with me. I know it's hard to find time, but I need people who can devote enough time to whatever they decide to help with that it gets done. If you're really serious, e-mail me and we'll talk more about it off the list. Thanks for your support. -- Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org Systems Engineer - Internetworking Engineer - CCIE 3440 Read TMBG List - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org, www.tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 21:20:13 -0700 Subject: TMBG: the rumor was revelaed so... Message-ID: <19981102.212017.19686.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> Okay so... i'm sure that most people know this already (i was only informed by about 15 people in the past two weeks :P thanks to all!) but since it was revealed over at the message board (how bouts the ng?) i'm assuming you kiddies can hear about it too (i guess the feeling was that there was no reason to keep it hidden really)... "Assuming everything went according to schedule, on Sunday, November 1st, Mr. John Sidney Linnell became a father. " take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19981103001201.007c1ba0@pop.mindspring.com> Date: Tue, 03 Nov 1998 00:12:01 -0500 From: Ben Bradshaw Subject: Re: TMBG: Fear of pop >They are above the feild of popularity, and are ahewad of their time. >Their music will become popular 100 or so years from now, you wait n' see This year I've started translating and interpreting Catullus for AP Latin, and I can not help but wonder what someone years from now, translating TMBG songs and interpreting them would think. Personally, I would fail the class since I'm a contemporary and speak the language semi-fluently, and I can barely grasp the full meanings of the songs without the cheat sheets at tmbg.org. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19981103062142.0068c098@mail.utexas.edu> Date: Tue, 03 Nov 1998 00:21:42 -0600 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Catullus (was TMBG: Fear of pop) > This year I've started translating and interpreting Catullus for AP Latin, >and I can not help but wonder what someone years from now, translating TMBG Ah, Catullus... Do you get to translate his vulgar stuff too, or just his cleaner love poems? Harf, Mitch http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~mitcharf/index.html "Penetrating so many secrets, we cease to believe in the unknowable. But there it sits, nevertheless, calmly licking it's chops." - Henry Louis Mencken (1880-1956) ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #12-3 *****************************