Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #12-4 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 12, Number 4 Wednesday, 4 November 1998 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Fear of pop TMBG: Linnell Baby Re: TMBG: Linnell Baby TMBG: Linnell Baby -Reply Re: TMBG: Linnell Baby Re: TMBG: Linnell Baby TMBG: TMBG babies and a question Re: TMBG: TMBG babies and a question Re: TMBG: Linnell's Baby TMBG: Money... TMBG: Random Musings.... Re: TMBG: Fear of pop Re: TMBG: Money... TMBG: DAS On-Line TMBG: Dial a song? Re: TMBG: the rumor was revelaed so... Re: TMBG: Linnell Baby Re: TMBG: Random Musings.... Re: TMBG: Money... Re: TMBG: TMBG babies and a question Re: TMBG: Money... TMBG: Mr. Ham, the Particle Man TMBG: Iconic origins Re: TMBG: Mr. Ham, the Particle Man TMBG: 800x600 Dr. Worm video collage Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <001b01be0700$591511a0$58d12581@oemcomputer> From: "kelspots" Subject: Re: TMBG: Fear of pop Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 03:02:45 -0500 Heh, I saw the subject line of this message and thought it had something to do with Linnell and his new baby... Well, I thought it was funny. Amy :) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199811031210.UAA25335@mule.wantree.com.au> From: "Carla Stagles" Subject: TMBG: Linnell Baby Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 20:03:51 +0800 That is such a great piece of news! A little Linnell to bring more magic to this freakish globe. Bravo! John must be so happy! :) Hip Horray! Cigars all around. carla "everybody wants a rock to tie a piece of string around" ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <4a252444.363ef3da@aol.com> Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 07:15:22 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell Baby >That is such a great piece of news! A little Linnell to bring more magic >to > >this freakish globe. Bravo! > > > >John must be so happy! :) Hip Horray! Cigars all around. anyone know if it's a little john or johnette? ;p sarah ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 12:20:04 +0000 Subject: TMBG: Linnell Baby -Reply Boy? Girl? Weight? Name? Was he there? Address to send congrats card to? etc. etc. Richard >>> "stagles@wantree.com.au" 3/November/1998 11:53am >>> That is such a great piece of news! A little Linnell to bring more magic to this freakish globe. Bravo! John must be so happy! :) Hip Horray! Cigars all around. carla "everybody wants a rock to tie a piece of string around" ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 07:26:26 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell Baby Message-ID: <19981103.072633.4846.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> AAAaack all of you... leave me alone... i just pass on the info i hear... >Boy? Girl? yes. >Weight? Name? Was he there? dunno. dunno (although i'm really starting to dig the name "johnette" :P). dunno. > Address to send congrats >card to? etc. etc. i'm sure the info club would love a big slew of "yay you had a kid! make sure he/she is just as talented as you are." kind of cards. i don't think they'll be happy unless you feel like sending them money. just my $.03 Uhm people, i think they're trying to keep this more-or-less private... hence why none of us even know it's sex, name, or other general details... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981103152512.24279.rocketmail@web4.rocketmail.com> Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 07:25:12 -0800 (PST) From: Danielle Gaither Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell Baby Wow! Now that I'm done doing my double and triple take... ---tmbgirl@juno.com wrote: > Uhm people, i think they're trying to keep this more-or-less private... > hence why none of us even know it's sex, name, or other general > details... Makes sense. Hell, I didn't even know his wife was pregnant (shows how much *I've* been paying attention lately). If he wants us to know all this info, he'll tell us. > take it easy, JOrdaN > http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html Crawling back into her cave, Inspector Over the Mine === http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/1054/index.html I tried in vain to drive myself insane; I talk to myself but I don't listen. --Elvis Costello _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19981103113833.006a287c@goshen.edu> Date: Tue, 03 Nov 1998 11:38:33 -0500 From: "Amanda Heggen" Subject: TMBG: TMBG babies and a question I've been on the list for just a month or two (I only have e-mail when I'm at school), so I had NO idea that John L. was going to be a dad. Thanks for the most wonderful news I've heard in a long while. What a shock! This is quite the incredible month, I've been happily anticipating the birth of Gene Ween's baby (comming at the end of November), and having a surprize Linnell may be more excitment than I can handle. Oh, I have a question. While I've been, basically, obsessed with TMBG since I was a sixth grader (a really long time ago), I've never know anything personal about the Johns. I just looked around on the internet and found that John Flansburgh was married (stupid me, I didn't even know that), but that's about all I know. Is Linnell married? If so, for how long? Do any of you know anything about their wives? ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 11:50:02 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG babies and a question In a message dated 11/3/98 11:44:32 AM, amandah@goshen.edu writes: >Is Linnell married? If so, for how >long? to a gal named karen; i believe since february (?) '97? >Do any of you know anything about their wives? > flans is married to robin goldwasser also known as sister puff.. and here's a picture of her (from my mono puff pictures).. http://members.aol.com/lolsal/aug98/sispuff2.jpg okay, it's not a great picture, umm... here's one of the whole group: http://members.aol.com/tmbgamy/aug98/mp1.jpg *!sarah ------------------------------ From: LinnellLvr@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 10:05:07 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell's Baby I am personally in a state of unequivocal shock right now. Wow...our John, a father!!! I swear, I read that and broke into tears immediately. Tears of utter and total surprise mixed with tears of happiness. One of the men I admire more than anyone is a father!! I can't believe that!! I am very happy for him, but now I too wish I knew if it was a boy or a girl, where the child was born, how Karen's doing, wether or not dearest Mr. Linnell cried (I'm sorry, I have to ask that. ^_^)...so many questions!! Anyway, I'm so proud of Mr. Linnell!! I honestly didn't think he had it in him, as bad as that sounds. ^_^ Off to buy a bubble gum cigar (but which color should I get??), Leslie ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 13:09:09 -0500 (EST) From: "Jason A. Glastetter" Subject: TMBG: Money... Message-ID: I can hardly think TMBG aren't at least somewhat well off when it comes to money. Someone said something about TMBG would have problems if they got money. Come on, they've had a platnum album (flood) and I believe at least one other gold one. Flans has directed numerous music videos, etc...Come on, they must have enough to provide for at least one trust fund baby each...I think even if TMBG was as rich as Bill Gates, they'd still do everything they do until they were too old/tired to do it anymore. jason "I want money" glastetter "We're not getting older, we're getting younger!" --John Flansburgh Surprisingly we got electricity, & the next day we got conected to the web http://www.poingly.com because some music sucks more than others... ------------------------------ Message-ID: <002a01be0756$086d1120$56c608d1@idiotnot.visi.net> From: "S. Bergeron" Subject: TMBG: Random Musings.... Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 13:16:06 -0500 If Linnell has ever read the list, methinks the baby may be named "Persephone." Blobby ah mistah blobby...... Jack Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net bluedawg@tmbg.org "Someday, somebody else besides me will call me by my stage name."--Doctor Worm http://www.tmbg.org/~bluedawg/ ------------------------------ From: mjames@khserver.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9811031837.AA18598@khserver.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Fear of pop Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 13:37:10 -0500 (EST) > from what i gathered, that was one of the reasons tmbg and elektra > parted. elektra wanted another 'isatnbul,' and tmbg wanted artistic > freedom. i think the john's could easily sit down during a writing > session and say 'now what kind of goofy stuff can we come up with that > will really sell some records?' obviously that's not their goal. in > essence, what you're asking is 'why doesn't tmbg sell out?' the answer > there is so blatant i'm not even going to bother with it. > I kind of agree with what you say. Yes, I see where you are going with your 'why doesn't tmbg sell out?'. They don't write the standard rock-fare that you might here on many popular, rock stations. I still haven't figured out why people like certain music that myself or someone else might call shit. It could be how diverse a person's music collection is or what kind of instrumentation makes them tick. Who knows. The same goes for music writers. What do they like to do with their music? I don't think it's so much a question of them sitting down and thinking 'what can we come up with to sell records?' I'm not sure it even crosses their mind all that much. I guess when they look at music around them they might occassionally think about what music does well and sells well and what does not, but when it comes down to them writing music and making albums, they really do what they feel like doing. They make music the way they know how to and how they want to make it. Whether Elektra wanted another Istanbul...well that was a cover, I doubt they wanted them to go out and just cover old standards or popular songs. Ultimately, Elektra and any other music label wants the band to sell well. Perhaps TMBG brought on a bit of a craze in 1990 and are having a harder time of it here in the late 90s. Perhaps Dr. Worm will really do well, who knows. But as we know, album sales does not always mean great music and vice versa. -Matt -- Matt James mjames@khserver.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD ------------------------------ Message-ID: <005a01be075a$9e93f3e0$56c608d1@idiotnot.visi.net> From: "S. Bergeron" Subject: Re: TMBG: Money... Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 13:48:53 -0500 :I can hardly think TMBG aren't at least somewhat well off when it comes to :money. Someone said something about TMBG would have problems if they got :money. Come on, they've had a platnum album (flood) and I believe at least :one other gold one. Flans has directed numerous music videos, etc...Come :on, they must have enough to provide for at least one trust fund baby :each...I think even if TMBG was as rich as Bill Gates, they'd still do :everything they do until they were too old/tired to do it anymore. I think TMBG's financial situation is somewhat well-off, but modest by choice. As far as I know, they both still live in apartments in Brooklyn most of the time. Flansburgh has a summer home in upstate New York (as mentioned by JLK in a recent Automobile Magazine article). Flansburgh drives a Ford Crown Victoria, which is by no means an ostentatious automobile (you can get a really nice one for about $20k). Jamie also recently gave him a 1970 Buick Regal Convertible. From what I understand, Flansburgh also has a passion for rather expensive cigars. (I'm glad when I can afford a nice cigar about once a month. Lately, I've been going with a nice $5 Macanudo once a week.) Linnell's financial situation is a bit more foggy. Jamie Kitman probably still makes more money than the Johns (he's a lawyer, manages TMBG, and writes for Automobile). Jack Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net bluedawg@tmbg.org "Someday, somebody else besides me will call me by my stage name."--Doctor Worm http://www.tmbg.org/~bluedawg/ ------------------------------ From: PRMega@aol.com Message-ID: <27455070.363f6254@aol.com> Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 15:06:44 EST Subject: TMBG: DAS On-Line Has anyone noticed that They don't update DASOL as often as it says it will be? "For the period of Oct 1-15 "4 of 2" will be our designated dial a song selection". And yet, it is still there. And I'm really anxious for a new one. Derek "What is everyone staring at?" ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981103233235.12907.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "John Landis" Subject: TMBG: Dial a song? Date: Tue, 03 Nov 1998 15:32:34 PST Has anyone else noticed that the dial a song on the web is behind schedule? It used to say (and still does on the main page) that 4 of 2 was up from the 16th to the 31st of october, and now, not only has it not changed, but it is now saying that 4 of 2 is up from the 1st to the 15th of OCTOBER. This makes very little sense. I don't mind, though, two songs a month is alot to come up with and record. I just wish the web dudes would be honest with us. John "the third John" Landis ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: Batbrain99@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 19:23:14 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: the rumor was revelaed so... Really? That's so cool! I hope he doesn't name his kid John. That could get very confusing. I think he should be named.. Tito. I found in a baby book that Tito means "giant, or of the giants" I found it mildly interesting. Hows that for trivia!? ~Bat"Tito"Brain * ------------------------------------------- "A bone to a dog is not charity. Charity is giving the bone to the dog when you are just as hungry as the dog" ~Jack London ------------------------------ From: Batbrain99@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 19:48:15 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell Baby In a message dated 98-11-03 10:31:50 EST, you write: << Hell, I didn't even know his wife was pregnant (shows how much *I've* been paying attention lately). If he wants us to know all this info, he'll tell us. >> Yeah, makes enough sense. In the words of some generic agent on the simpsons, "Millions of women around the world will want to have sex with you, and we want them to think they can" To which Homer replied "Oh, I'm sure if I explain it that way to Marge she'll understand!" ~Bat"generic"Brain ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 18:11:47 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: Random Musings.... Message-ID: <19981103.183116.4342.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> >If Linnell has ever read the list, methinks the baby may be named >"Persephone." i think you've been on the list for too long :P take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 18:10:13 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: Money... Message-ID: <19981103.183116.4342.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> >. Someone said something about TMBG would have problems if they >got >money erg, it was prolly me... >Come >on, they must have enough to provide for at least one trust fund baby >each... anyways, as you all may know my bootleg colelction is rather large and in it i have a fair amount of interviews with the band. Over the past 2 years, i would say that money is brought up in about 30% of them. I think the one that stood out the most for me (and this may have been a phone interview and not a radio thing, erg wait... maybe it was a FNX thing... i dunno) was when Flans was talking about how he had saved all his money and then had to spend it all on his wedding and that was the point where he realized that he would never be able to own a house, that he was really upset that he'd have to live in an appartment for the rest of his life. There are sooo many interviews with them saying that they're solely "on the road to pay the bills" and stuff. They sound sincere but i dunno... it's like reading the text you never know if people are being sarcastic or not. Then again it may all be part of their world domination plan... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981104013453.20086.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG babies and a question Date: Tue, 03 Nov 1998 17:34:52 PST Amanda Heggen wrote: >Oh, I have a question. While I've been, basically, obsessed with >TMBG >since I was a sixth grader (a really long time ago), I've never know >anything personal about the Johns. That's not particularly surprising. The Johns generally seem to separate Their music from Their personal lives. That's fine with me. It's certainly interesting to know about Linnell's fatherhood, but I don't really want to send him gifts or anything. He's not a personal friend, but I man whom I admire as a musician. -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981104013701.11857.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Money... Date: Tue, 03 Nov 1998 17:37:00 PST JOrdaN wrote: > Then again it may all be part of their world domination plan... Hey, wait a minute! They don't want the world! They just want your half! -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: Batbrain99@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 20:46:27 EST Subject: TMBG: Mr. Ham, the Particle Man I was singing particle man aloud one day (as I tend to do) and my friend says "Oh, particle man, I love that song!" She informed me that the english teacher Mr. Ham from our old jr. high school did a project where the class analyzes metaphors of songs, and one of the songs he let the class choose was particle man. and i thought...coolness! So I asked friends who had Mr. Ham, and they all said they thought the song was a cool song. Thanks Mr. Ham, for brightening the day of a jr. higher and spreading the word! ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 19:31:52 -0800 From: Bob Gonsalves Subject: TMBG: Iconic origins I saw a bumper sticker today while driving that I'm sure was an inspiration for part of the tmbg.com page. Surrounding a three-sided figure were the words "Fidelity Honesty Virtue" (or some similar concepts). Underneath figure was a yellow banner, similar to the web page one, but upside down with furls closer to the end of the banner. I think it was some Armed Forces division, but couldn't really tell (without bumping into them). ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19981103232943.00698f7c@earthlink.net> Date: Tue, 03 Nov 1998 23:29:43 -0500 From: Catherine Subject: Re: TMBG: Mr. Ham, the Particle Man BatBrain wrote: >I was singing particle man aloud one day (as I tend to do) and my friend says >"Oh, particle man, I love that song!" She informed me that the english teacher >Mr. Ham from our old jr. high school did a project where the class analyzes >metaphors of songs, and one of the songs he let the class choose was particle >man. and i thought...coolness! So I asked friends who had Mr. Ham, and they >all said they thought the song was a cool song. Thanks Mr. Ham, for >brightening the day of a jr. higher and spreading the word! > > that reminds me of this student teacher for english I had my senior year of high school who's husband was asked by They (or he tried out...anyway, he was offered it) to be their drummer when they were first looking for one, he declined, decided that their music wasn't his style of something...I guess it was the whole school & tmbg reference that made me remember that...just one of those random things that I felt a need to share, b-bye, catherine "....a pity for that colorless existence which never uplifted its possessor beyond the region of blind contentment, in which no moment of anguish ever visited her soul, in which she would never have the taste of life's delirium." -Kate Chopin ------------------------------ Message-ID: <363FDD76.5BA9@asan.com> Date: Tue, 03 Nov 1998 23:52:06 -0500 From: "Robert J. Plass" Organization: Schick Technologies, Inc. - The Leader in Digital Radiography Subject: TMBG: 800x600 Dr. Worm video collage Hello exquisite living people, I made a nice 800 x 600 graphic of the Dr. Worm video. Here's the URL: http://www.asan.com/users/plassrob/drworm.gif Just right-click and select "Set as Wallpaper" to put it on your screen background. It's 800x600, so it should fit pretty snugly. Love, Rob Plass ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #12-4 *****************************