Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #12-6 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 12, Number 6 Friday, 6 November 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: We're on MTV.COM! TMBG: Thoughts on WMBG,T? Re: TMBG: Thoughts on WMBG,T? Re: TMBG: We're on MTV.COM! Re: TMBG: We're on MTV.COM! TMBG: TMBG in Deadpool #23? Re: TMBG: TMBG in Deadpool #23? TMBG: NONTMBG deadpool... TMBG: More Soul Coughing than TMBG, but still, it's a thread... TMBG: The Flans RealVideo thing TMBG: TMBG In CBG, with Heebee Geebies Re: TMBG: NONTMBG deadpool... TMBG: ape plan TMBG: Linnell's Baby???? Re: TMBG: Linnell's Baby??? Re: TMBG: Linnell's Baby??? Re: TMBG: Linnell's Baby??? Re: TMBG: Linnell's Baby??? TMBG: TMBG Screen Saver TMBG: adios! TMBG: Extra Krispy Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19981105110619.007b3660@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Thu, 05 Nov 1998 11:06:19 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: We're on MTV.COM! From http://www.mtv.com/news/headlines/981104/story12.html ...go there, 'cause there's accompanying multimedia. -Adam Pressed for the most important figure of the 20th Century, few of us would name They Might Be Giants' John Flansburgh. However the TMBG guitarist now sees his name being bandied about next to Jesus Christ and Adolf Hitler in an online poll designed to determine the Person of the Century. The poll, being conducted by Time magazine's website has logged votes for historical figures like Gandhi, Billy Graham, Winston Churchill, and Ronald Reagan, as well as Flansburgh and a few other surprises. "He's behind, I think number one is I believe Jesus Christ, number two is Adolf Hitler, number three is the wrestler Ric Flair, and Flansburgh is at number four," his TMBG partner John Linnell told the MTV Radio Network recently. "And then behind him are some very serious notables." "If I find that Ric Flair, I'm gonna kick his ass," Flansburgh barked. "I'm warning you Ric Flair, it's me Jesus and Hitler. There's no room for you. Get out." [28.8 RealVideo] While Linnell admits that it "would be a major coup for us to be recognized for Mr. Flansburgh's importance in the century to be recognized," the band is used to being a prime example of the truly democratic nature of the Internet. "Last year, I'm sorry this year, I had the honor of being voted ninth most beautiful person of 1998 on the People Online Poll," Linnell explained. "You could still go visit and there's a picture of me and they really make it seem legitimate, which is pretty hilarious given that the number one, the winner by an enormous margin is this guy named Hank the Angry Drunken Dwarf and then followed I think by Leonardo DiCaprio and some other more likely people. Somehow, I wound up as number nine and I'm pretty sure that this is mostly attributable to the members of our audience who know enough about the Internet to be able to effectively stuff the ballot without it being noticed by the people running the poll." Speaking about his placement next to the 20th Century's pivotal figures, Flansburgh added, "That pretty much says it all the value of this new technological tool." If you'd like to push Flansburgh over the top, voting is still open at www.time.com. -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.crystal-night.com/~ctyner/ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ He-Man, Tuscadero, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, & more! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19981105121235.007b42a0@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Thu, 05 Nov 1998 12:12:35 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Thoughts on WMBG,T? I don't think I've seen any thorough reviews of We Might Be Giants, Too on the list yet. Would someone mind posting one? I got mine in the other day and am enjoying it immensely. -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.crystal-night.com/~ctyner/ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ He-Man, Tuscadero, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, & more! ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <981f6aa9.3641de19@aol.com> Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 12:19:21 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Thoughts on WMBG,T? In a message dated 11/5/98 12:15:20 PM, ctyner@CLEMSON.EDU writes: >I don't think I've seen any thorough reviews of We Might Be Giants, Too >on >the list yet. Would someone mind posting one? I got mine in the other >day >and am enjoying it immensely. > err. i signed up for the tape version and apparently they haven't finished (or even started?) them... i'm too poor for the cd.;p sarah ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19981105172040.0110a12c@mail.utexas.edu> Date: Thu, 05 Nov 1998 11:20:40 -0600 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: We're on MTV.COM! At 11:06 AM 11/5/98 -0500, you wrote: >From http://www.mtv.com/news/headlines/981104/story12.html ...go there, >'cause there's accompanying multimedia. The Real Video didn't work for me. Did anyone else try it? Harf, Mitch http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~mitcharf/index.html "Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh." - George Bernard Shaw ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <48448fe7.3641df51@aol.com> Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 12:24:33 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: We're on MTV.COM! In a message dated 11/5/98 12:23:01 PM, mitcharf@mail.utexas.edu writes: >The Real Video didn't work for me. Did anyone else try it? yes.. and the audio is incredibly spooky. sounds like uhh.. using a walkman with the batteries dying.. sarah ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 12:44:20 EST Subject: TMBG: TMBG in Deadpool #23? Check this out.. I might be reaching, but in Deadpool #23, Deadpool is injured and babbling. Six pages before the end of issue, in the last panel of the page, Deadpool is singing, and he sings: "This isn't my birthday..." Could this be a ref. to "It's Not My Birthday?" ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 13:34:52 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: From: "K.C." Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG in Deadpool #23? >Check this out.. I might be reaching, but in Deadpool #23, Deadpool is injured >and babbling. Six pages before the end of issue, in the last panel of the >page, Deadpool is singing, and he sings: "This isn't my birthday..." Could >this be a ref. to "It's Not My Birthday?" This is quite interesting, as yesterday was my birthday, and I sang that song nearly all day. Is Deadpool a comic or something? ------------------------------ Message-ID: <004f01be08f2$8d3c4e00$a6431ecf@default> From: "Green Jello" Subject: TMBG: NONTMBG deadpool... Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 14:29:02 -0500 I was watching this movie the other day and this guy's name was JOHN and the town where the movie took place was LINCOLN, Nebraska and his town was FLOODed. These may seem to be coincidences, but his friends were called THEY practically every time they were mentioned... "THEY went to the store" "THEY are in the living room" "THEY are eating pizza" JOHN even mentioned that his friend's name was Hannah (that's a PALINDROME!!!!!!!) and that she had a PUPPET when she was young!!!!! Can you believe it? His other friend Bob (another PALINDROME!!!!!) had a BIRTHDAY during the movie and went to the store and bought a BROOM and a BAG OF GROCERIES! Life is good! Everyone is stealing from TMBG! Brother John Green Jello, who wishes sarcasm translated better in email. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 14:59:32 -0500 (EST) From: "Jason A. Glastetter" Subject: TMBG: More Soul Coughing than TMBG, but still, it's a thread... Message-ID: Anyone watch Soul Coughing on Letterman last night? It creeped me out because M. Doughty reminded me a lot of Flans (the way he held his guitar, his little dances on stage...). I felt releaved... I also find it releaving that TMBG is used to describe Soul Coughing, it makes me feel good when I use Soul Coughing to describe TMBG to nonfans! jason "I don't need to walk around in circles" glastetter Surprisingly we got electricity, & the next day we got conected to the web http://www.poingly.com because some music sucks more than others... ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: The Flans RealVideo thing Message-ID: <19981105.160248.8063.0.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A Klein) Date: Thu, 05 Nov 1998 15:04:35 EST Does anyone know if there is a way to convert the file from mtv.com from real video to something like .mov or .vid? I can't play Real Audio/Video files (for whatever reason). Thanks. Derek "What is everyone staring at?" ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <364204CC.695B@rica.net> Date: Thu, 05 Nov 1998 15:04:28 -0500 From: Joey Groah Subject: TMBG: TMBG In CBG, with Heebee Geebies In his November 6 (Simpson Cover) column of Comic Buyer's Guide, Peter "Writes lots of Stuff" David, negatively commenting on the current Spider-Man revamp, says: "Teenagers of recent vintage- and they HAVE to be recent if young Peter is getting a computer for his birthday - debate tickets to a Rolling Stones concert? The Stones? If the sequence is set about five years ago, then a Nirvana concert, maybe. Or perhaps They Might Be Giants. But the Stones, during their Steel Wheelchair Concert? I dunno about that." I was at a signing a couple of years ago and David noticed my TMBG T-shirt. He also used "Multiple Man" as a Weird Al parody during the first pages in his second issue writing X-Factor. Not super relevant, but hey... something something. Harry Knowles got an e-mail suggesting we all dress as apes for John Glenn's return home. I kinda like that idea. Joey, "see what happens when Mass Com law is cancelled?" ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <4a30caf7.364205b5@aol.com> Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 15:08:21 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: NONTMBG deadpool... In a message dated 11/5/98 2:31:26 PM, greenjello1973@geocities.com writes: >I was watching this movie the other day and this guy's name was JOHN actually though, this reminds me.. there's *some* show, cops or something like it, and it comes on ...i think after the seinfeld rerun here. i don't remember but i know it comes on after something i watch and the guy introduces himself before i get to the remote... his name is sherriff john parnell (or something like that) and everytime, i hear "linnell" instead. um. yup. that's it. sarah not feeling well, but seeing moxy fruvous tonight np. sloan. navy blues. (buy this cd) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 16:21:32 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: <199811052121.QAA15207@mail4.uts.ohio-state.edu> From: Guido Subject: TMBG: ape plan >-----Original Message----- > From the Internet: > > > Please distribute this to everyone (on earth, that is) you know... > > WE MUST HURRY! > > When John Glenn returns from space, everybody dress in ape suits. > > We have 6 days to bury the Statue of Liberty up to her head. guido@tmbg.org http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/~strader "EXCUSE ME! DO YOU KNO3 WHERE I CAN MAIL THIS PACKAGE?" ------------------------------ From: TMBGibs@aol.com Message-ID: <972df7c9.36422f20@aol.com> Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 18:05:04 EST Subject: TMBG: Linnell's Baby???? I haven't been keeping up w/ the news lately. Will some one explain to me this thing about Linnell's Baby please! Me! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 18:47:18 -0500 (EST) From: "(*)" Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell's Baby??? Message-ID: : > I haven't been keeping up w/ the news lately. Will some one explain to me > this thing about Linnell's Baby please! > > Me! > well, sit down for this, its when a mr. and a mrs. linnell recieve a visit from the stalk. the stalk then has "some fun" with a couple of bees and a bird while the linnells watch in mock horror. this wonderful act creates "the magic cd gem." somehow this product, AND I WILL NOT REVEAL HOW, gets inside mrs. linnel. then nine months later the stalk dies. ------------------------------ From: Batbrain99@aol.com Message-ID: <1ede3aaa.36425b31@aol.com> Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 21:13:05 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell's Baby??? stalk? do you mean a stork? unless its a magical stalk.. like a beanstalk or something... and then john climbs it and finds what might be a giant! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 21:23:57 -0500 (EST) From: "(*)" Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell's Baby??? Message-ID: oh man...i did mean stork...and im an english major too. damn. well, actually i meant the magical mythical "stalk," which is very similar to the stork. in fact, in most cultures the "stalk" is very much like the "stork," however in this story the "stalk," has two extra features which differentiate it from the common, garden variety "stork." Firstly, it has a tendency to hide behind bushes and peer into peoples houses, and take pictures, secondly, it is a crazed they might be giants fan. On Thu, 5 Nov 1998 Batbrain99@aol.com wrote: > stalk? do you mean a stork? unless its a magical stalk.. like a beanstalk or > something... and then john climbs it and finds what might be a giant! > ------------------------------ From: gray42@.com Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 21:49:55 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell's Baby??? Message-ID: <19981105.215014.9142.0.gray42@juno.com> On Thu, 5 Nov 1998 21:23:57 -0500 (EST) "(*)" writes: > >oh man...i did mean stork...and im an english major too. damn. well, >actually i meant the magical mythical "stalk," which is very similar >to >the stork. in fact, in most cultures the "stalk" is very much like the >"stork," however in this story the "stalk," has two extra features >which >differentiate it from the common, garden variety "stork." Firstly, it >has >a tendency to hide behind bushes and peer into peoples houses, and >take >pictures, secondly, it is a crazed they might be giants fan. > EEEEEEEEEEEEEEK! I must say that this seemingly innocent story is becoming quite scary, and Dr. Zuess like. Does anyone else remember Dr. Zeuss's disturbing bedtime stories "The Girl With The Unsmoochable Butt", on Talk soup. Gawd I love that show :P Mysterio Gal (who loves yet a third John, a John Henson) "It's like being the world's tallest midget." --Flansburgh MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 > >On Thu, 5 Nov 1998 Batbrain99@aol.com wrote: > >> stalk? do you mean a stork? unless its a magical stalk.. like a >beanstalk or >> something... and then john climbs it and finds what might be a >giant! >> > > ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: PRMega@aol.com Message-ID: <37a7145b.36426c71@aol.com> Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 22:26:41 EST Subject: TMBG: TMBG Screen Saver Okay, here's the deal: I'm trying to make my own TMBG screen saver. I need some pics of the Johns, album covers, etc., but whenever I save a pic from the web, it saves as an .art file, which I can't see with out AOL open. What I need is some of you wonderful people to send me some pics (.gif, .tif, or .jpg files) of any of the above. Thanks a lot. PR "Why was the bench still warm?" Mega ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19981106001230.00a2659c@mail.qx.net> Date: Fri, 06 Nov 1998 00:12:34 -0500 From: Bill Kirby Subject: TMBG: adios! TMBG Listees, Just wanted to take this chance to say so long. I know that I've mostly been a lurker here, but I've enjoyed many of the conversations here as well as the useful TMBG information. Take care, -Bill Kirby ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 00:38:52 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Extra Krispy Message-ID: <19981106.003853.-35459.0.jbparke@juno.com> From: jbparke@juno.com (Jeff Parker) Figured I'd go ahead and mention this to the list... I don't know how many of you have heard of Bezerk, the online game network, but they have this cool multi-player game called Acrophobia. Since the Bezerk website is free (www.bezerk.com by the way) they pay for it by showing advertisements every so often. To get to the point, there is a sound bite from Mono Puff's Extra Krispy on an advertisement for Rolling Stone's website! I think that's pretty cool... and maybe you will too. That's it... v^v Jeffro v^v "These FOX specials are getting way out of hand... a whole show about home videos of guys getting hit in the nuts, what's up with that? - Me ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #12-6 *****************************