Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #13-10 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 13, Number 10 Thursday, 10 December 1998 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Mrs. Train TMBG: Augiewan's site TMBG: Re: yet another pointless song interp TMBG: M2/Childrens Album Re: TMBG: Mike Leffel Re: TMBG: M2/Childrens Album Re: TMBG: Mrs. Train Re: TMBG: bullsh*t Non-TMBG: Okay, okay, listen up. Re: TMBG: Mike Leffel TMBG: TMBG and Math TMBG: TMBG and Math Re: TMBG: Mike Leffel TMBG: tmbg-list Digest #13-9 -Reply TMBG: Campus bands TMBG: Re:Christmas tape TMBG: who is Mike Leffel? Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm Single????? -Reply Re: TMBG: M2/Childrens Album TMBG: Anyone out there still like Flood? Re: TMBG: Anyone out there still like Flood? Re: Non-TMBG: Okay, okay, listen up. Re: TMBG: Anyone out there still like Flood? non TMBG: "wisdom" from josh's page Re: TMBG: Anyone out there still like Flood? TMBG: M2/Childrens Album Re: non TMBG: "wisdom" from josh's page TMBG: TMBG : May I wish you all... Re: TMBG: Campus bands Re: TMBG: Used CDs Re: TMBG: Anyone out there still like Flood? TMBG: DC Show on the 30th. Re: TMBG: Anyone out there still like Flood? Re: TMBG: Anyone out there still like Flood? Re: TMBG: DC Show on the 30th. Re: TMBG: Anyone out there still like Flood? Re: TMBG: DC Show on the 30th. Re: TMBG: Anyone out there still like Flood? Re: TMBG: Anyone out there still like Flood? Re: NonTMBG: Dr. Drew Re: Non-TMBG: Okay, okay, listen up. RE: TMBG: Anyone out there still like Flood? Re: TMBG: Re: yet another pointless song interp TMBG: STD review Re: TMBG: Anyone out there still like Flood? Re: TMBG: Mrs. Train TMBG: Floodies Re: TMBG: Mrs. Train Re: TMBG:Fav. Album Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 8 Dec 1998 21:17:17 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Mrs. Train Message-ID: <19981208.212609.-134347.2.gray42@juno.com> From: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) EEEEEEEGGGGGGGrRRRRRRREEEEEEAAAAAAH Ok, I know that was a bit loud, but I'm feeling a bit loud (NOT angry :) *hyuk*. You just had the idea (and your free to them :) to replace my 2 favorite songs on John Henry, with my 2 favorite b-sides. I absolutely deeply cherish "A Self Called Nowhere", "Window" delights my haggard unhappy heart. I live by the code of "Hotel Detective", it's even great backwards. And I'm brought back to childhood by Mrs. Train. If Hotel Detective were to replace something on JH, I'd have to go with Spy. I'm sure John and John meant not to have too many 40's type Secret Agent Songs on their album. Or Mrs. Train could replace Extra Savoir Fare, because I like Mrs. Train SO much better (sorry guys/gals who like this song, and Spy.) But you can't get rid of "A Self Called Nowhere", and "Window". At least you can't in my private world :) But I totally agree those 2 b sides would be better on a (easy to get) full length album. On the other hand, John and John probably felt that Mrs. Train's lightness would clash with such a dark album, who knows? Mysterio Gal (completely out to lunch in squaresville) "It's like being the world's tallest midget." --Flansburgh MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 On Tue, 08 Dec 1998 19:27:56 EST Misty writes: >I was listening to an MP3 of Mrs. Train earlier, and I just thought >I'd >throw this question out there: Do you think Mrs. Train should have >been >included on John Henry, and not just as a b-side? I think it should >have >and that it maybe should have replaced Window in the rotation. "Back >to >Skull"'s other great b-side, the alternate Hotel Detective, also, >IMO, >should have been placed on John Henry in place of Self Called >Nowhere. >I don't like Self Called Nowhere all that much. Anyone else feel this >way? > >Misty > ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: PRMega@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 8 Dec 1998 21:24:24 EST Subject: TMBG: Augiewan's site Does anyone else get a message that says "attempt to load failed" when d/l ing songs from Augiwan's page? I get this from all of the songs. PR Mega ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 08 Dec 1998 20:47:02 -0600 From: Thomas Kula Subject: TMBG: Re: yet another pointless song interp Message-id: At 19:03 -0600 12/8/98, Me wrote: >So I was listening to Apollo 18 on the way to work today, and "See the >Constellation" came on... Actually, if I may add my $0.02: I never thought of the song in that way, but I do like the song because to me it is all about Radio Astronomy (one of my favorite areas of science). "Can you hear what I see in the sky?" seems to me to be a nice reference to the job of "listening" to the sky with a radio telescope. As a matter of fact, I once did a physics seminar entitled "Can you hear what I see in the sky: A brief introduction to Radio Astronomy." Or it could just be a stoned guy.... * The Louis P. Weatherbacker Weirdo in Residence: Thomas L. Kula | 137 * * tk0003@acad.drake.edu | "When it comes to catching trout, nothing * * www.msrnet.ml.org | beats the German Light Infantry." * * "Weird Gratia Weirdus" | -Nelson in the "Simpsons" * ------------------------------ From: WeepDay@aol.com Message-ID: <5bdd90b4.366ddebf@aol.com> Date: Tue, 8 Dec 1998 21:21:51 EST Subject: TMBG: M2/Childrens Album Hello All, I haven't had my account for awhile and haven't been able to keep up with all the latest news....However, today they played "Birdhouse In Your Soul" on M2 (for a second I thought they'd actually play Dr. Worm....) anyways, that VJ Jancee Dunn talked about them after the video and said that they were going on tour to Australia to "cash in" because they are very popular there and that the Childrens Album was going to be titled "No"....is this true? old news? just wondering....... later, athena~ ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 8 Dec 1998 21:17:09 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: Mike Leffel Message-ID: <19981208.211818.15134.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> >i'll go ahead and ask the question -- who is mike leffel and why is he >such >a cool guy? oh geez... the legacy of leffel described in one e-mail? hey dylan flipse!!! you wanna field this one? (hahaa! my evil ploy to bring him out of lurkerdom and bring the "fun with sigs leffel style" back to the list). no but seriously folks, if you want to get the true essence of mike leffel and just what an impact he had on the list you'd have to read quite a few digests where he contributed. It shouldn't be too hard to search the archives... look through late '96 into mid '97, he pretty much filled up every days digest with his own "non-relevant crap" every day. Someone with a stick up their ass once did the math and found that he was responsible for like 70-some-odd % of the posts to each digest, most of which were not related to TMBG (unless you could see through mikes twisted set of links). Needless to say, that's why his name arises every time there's a thread started by some newbie "don't let people post non-tmbg related stuff to the list." There were a few people that didn't like him (hahaarob!) and those of us that did like him, often got in major conflicts with list members that were yelling at him to shutup (hahaarob!). Mike was really cool tho... if you were his bud. Heh, one time someone flamed me and i got reeeally upset about it (to the point where i was gonna leave the list) hehee... he offered to spam their account in a rather obscene way for me, i told him not to, but it was enough to keep me on the list cuz i was so entertained by him and all the other list members that offered to join us even tho they didn't know the details of mike's plan. And well, that is mike in a nutshell, entertainment. Anyways... i'm getting too much into my own personal stories. If anyone wants to fill in the actual story of mike and how he just disappeared one day only to return several months later and inform us of how he was majorly sick (sorry i can't member the details...) only to disappear again a few weeks later and never return... take it easy, JOrdaN "where's the last name?" http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::I will never say "you blow the fatty goat" again without thinking of mike and his legacy... and then thinking of rob... which is why i'll have difficulty buying an omlt now::: ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 8 Dec 1998 21:21:26 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: M2/Childrens Album Message-ID: <19981208.212128.15134.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> they were >going on >tour to Australia to "cash in" because they are very popular there and >that >the Childrens Album was going to be titled "No"....is this true? old >news? tenatively titled "no" but yes, that's all true. i had some TMBG content and now i forgot what it was... something about them and This American Life next week... erg! take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::Catching up to leffel's record of 70%::: ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Tue, 8 Dec 1998 23:38:31 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Mrs. Train Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 8-Dec-98 TMBG: Mrs. Train by Misty@MARISTB.MARIST.EDU > I was listening to an MP3 of Mrs. Train earlier, and I just thought I'd > throw this question out there: Do you think Mrs. Train should have been > included on John Henry, and not just as a b-side? I think it should have > and that it maybe should have replaced Window in the rotation. "Back to > Skull"'s other great b-side, the alternate Hotel Detective, also, IMO, > should have been placed on John Henry in place of Self Called Nowhere. > I don't like Self Called Nowhere all that much. Anyone else feel this I don't think Mrs. Train would make a very good album track... it's kind of a novelty song... it's kind of silly, has that speed up thing going on... or, if you don't like that argument... where do you put it on an album? Generally speaking, an album has a fairly contiguous feel to it - the songs don't necessarily have to flow, but there should be some sense of continuity. The way Mrs. Train starts out could make it nothing but a starting track, maybe... the nice thing about EPs is that it doesn't really matter where things appear... the thing I find interesting aboutu b-sides is that they often are things that were done out of TMBG's style at the time... Nightgown of the Sullen Moon would not fit on Lincoln, but it would work great on Flood, for example... same for We're the Replacements. some of them are, though, just that - b-sides, and could never be album tracks. I'd have a hard time putting When it Rains it Snows or I'll Sink Manhattan on any album... (this was actually more true of their older b-sides... not so much anymore) for those reasons, too, I predict that "4 of 2" will never be anything more than a b-side... (unfortunately) as far as A Self Called Nowhere and Window... well, I like those songs... and I think Window leads into Out of Jail perfectly... just my... uhh, 4 or 5 cents or so... Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "You keep handing out horseshoes * This space inadvertently Horseshoes have gotta be tossed." -Moxy Fruvous * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <8qPTx1e00WB=0Ph200@andrew.cmu.edu> Date: Tue, 8 Dec 1998 23:40:33 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: bullsh*t Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 8-Dec-98 Re: TMBG: bullsh*t by tmbgirl@juno.com > just makes me wonder if all of us would still like TMBG if they hit it > big again. well, it depends... if they made a great song that became popular, no problem... if they made something that was totally not their style or any style they had ever come close to, and it became popular, we'd have another situation like in 1990 - people would like one song but be turned off by the other stuff. I would have been really disappointed if S-E-X-X-Y had become popular, because it is *soooo* not their style. Of course, I also thought Dr. Worm had potential... Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "You keep handing out horseshoes * This space inadvertently Horseshoes have gotta be tossed." -Moxy Fruvous * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981209044306.28548.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: Non-TMBG: Okay, okay, listen up. Date: Tue, 08 Dec 1998 20:43:05 PST Alright. I've thought about it and I'm willing to make a deal I think most of you will jump at. But first: If you don't like my site (and you probably don't), what do you do? Complain about it, bash it, make fun of me... sure. What don't you do? Go back, of course. Rev. Andrew has displayed hate for me and my site. He's done evrything listed above. Except the part of not returning to my site. This guy hates my site, though he is constantly hanging around my site. How do i know? BEHOLD! MY GUESTBOOK! FEAST YOUR EYES UPON THE NUMBER OF TIMES HE HAS SIGNED IT! http://callisto.guestworld.tripod.lycos.com/wgb/wgbview.dbm?owner=Zapruter Now, to the point: I was gonna make a deal, wasn't I. Well, here it is. I hereby promise to keep a sharp eye on all that I post. I will watch for content, language, bad moral (but we're all guilty of that at one time or another), and usefulness. If I break any of these horribly (don't go saying I sould be kicked for stuff you do yourself), and you catch me and bring it to my attention, I will remove myself from the list. Your part? Forgive, forget, and put the past in the past. How about it? If I dare break any of these rules to much, out I go. It's a sort of last chance in exchange for peace. It sounded good to me, now how about you? Oh, onemore thing... someone on the list was making a page about TMBG dreams... can anyone give me the URL to this page? Keep cool, and take care. Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com ICQ#: 17262308 contact me! http://www.angelfire.com/va/ozzyfest/index.html "I'd give my life to be dead." -Francesco Dellamorte, "Cemetery Man" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Tue, 8 Dec 1998 23:48:39 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Mike Leffel Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 8-Dec-98 Re: TMBG: Mike Leffel by tmbgirl@juno.com > If anyone wants to fill in the actual story of mike and how he > just disappeared one day only to return several months later and inform > us of how he was majorly sick (sorry i can't member the details...) only > to disappear again a few weeks later and never return... actually, he might be back in a couple of weeks... I know a friend of his here at CMU, and he said that when he goes home for the winter, he's going to help fix Mike's computer and get him back online... (apparently, that's more difficult than it sounds in Nebraska) I'm sure when he comes back he'll fill us in on all the details of where he's been for the last year and a half... :) Also, he's the one who started the signature thing with the quote in the middle of his name... Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "You keep handing out horseshoes * This space inadvertently Horseshoes have gotta be tossed." -Moxy Fruvous * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 00:32:41 -0500 From: Sarah Subject: TMBG: TMBG and Math Message-id: <366E0B78.6CA0@wmich.edu> -- *While making Snow Angels, I looked up and saw Angels making Cloud People* >>>Visit my homepage!<<< http://www.angelfire.com/me/momerath >>>Don't Forget to Sign my Guestbook!<<< ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 00:38:37 -0500 From: Sarah Subject: TMBG: TMBG and Math Message-id: <366E0CDC.58DD@wmich.edu> >>>>>>>>Please excuse my accidental send two minutes earlier<<<<<<<< Okay... Hey anyone and everyone. I have something interesting which I promised to share last year when I was working on it. Anyway, I was in this math class last year that related Mathematics to most everything in the universe, and we had to write a paper about anything we wanted to, so long as it was math related. So I found mathematical connections in TMBG's music and wrote a paper about it. If you're interested, you can read it here: http://www.angelfire.com/me/momerath/tmbg.html Lemme know what ya think! ~Sarah *Everything right is wrong again* -- *While making Snow Angels, I looked up and saw Angels making Cloud People* >>>Visit my homepage!<<< http://www.angelfire.com/me/momerath >>>Don't Forget to Sign my Guestbook!<<< ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 8 Dec 1998 22:07:04 -0800 (PST) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: TMBG: Mike Leffel Message-ID: Another one of these threads? Mike Leffel was the king of absurdity. Because of him, many productive groups sprouted up that contributed to society in many different ways (such as the United Coalition of 14 Year Olds Against Mike Leffel). He also started the middle name thing. Cap'n Helfgott ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 08 Dec 1998 23:03:28 -0800 From: Bill Brock Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list Digest #13-9 -Reply Please discontinue use of this e-mail address. My new e-mail address, temporarily at least, is bbrock3@juno.com. I may also be contacted at National University, School of Education and Human Services, Dept. of Specialized Programs. Questions about GUHSD Assessment & Evaluation may be directed to Janet Mooney 644-8260 or Nani Armstrong 644-8261. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 8 Dec 1998 23:46:10 -0800 (PST) From: Nicole Carlson Subject: TMBG: Campus bands Message-ID: On Tue, 8 Dec 1998 owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org wrote: > band(s) to bring in for the spring concert that we always have. You see, > in the past, we've had good bands sometimes, like Morphine or (back in 93, > I believe) TMBG, but lately we've had crap, with bands like Stir, the > Samples, and so on (although getting the Scofflaws once, and getting De La > Soul a different time...now that ruled). So anyway, the survey, > apparently showing what bands the campus really likes, resulted in three > bands being requested. G. Love and Special Sauce, the Violent Femmes, and > TMBG. Weird. I should have more faith in my campus... I have this theory about collegiate music lineups--they have good years and bad years. My own university, after two astoundingly uninspiring lineups, this year got Natalie Macmaster, Mark O'Connor, Anonymous 4, *AND* the Reduced Shakespeare Company. Now *that's* a lineup. (And yes, of course I have tickets.) I can almost forgive them for ignoring my only slightly pathetic plea to please please bring TMBG and/or Moxy Fruvous to campus. > I don't really have anything to add to this except my agreement. Has > BNL sold their soul? Did they leave it behind? Count me as number 3 of > the seven. I have Stunt, (been a BNL fan, though never an insane one, since Gordon days) but it hasn't been in my CD player since summer. I've bought a lot of new CDs recently (speaking of which, everyone check out Great Big Sea! They kick major booty!), but still. A shame, because their first two albums (never cared for _Born on a Pirate Ship_, returned it the week after I bought it) are very good--melodic, insightful, bitingly funny. One less "secret" band, I guess. > If you are looking for more stuff for that tape, you may consider Mono Puff > to be close enough to TMBG (I mean, hey, it has Flansy!). Mono Puff has > a song called Careless Santa that might fit really well! Anyone have any > other ideas? You know, it's not really a TMBG song, but don't forget the Mono Puff song "Careless Santa"; I don't think anyone's mentioned it yet... Ok, ok, it's old. I'm sorry. To make up for it, I humbly propose some songs by The Bobs, whose Christmas album (Too Many Santas!) is, IMHO, their strongest. (I've only heard two, maybe 2 1/2 others, but I didn't much like them) Also the Arrogant Worms. I've not heard their Christmas album (Christmas Turkey), but I have "Live Bait" and love it. With song titles like "Oh God, I'm Santa Claus", "Christmas in Ignace", and "Vincent the Christmas Virus", what could go wrong? --nicole the wonder nerd o/~It's not my birthday, it's not today...o/~ oh, wait... wrong song. *blush* Finally, I can retire the fake ID. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <366E51D9.21D04415@pacificnet.net> Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 03:33:01 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Re:Christmas tape > i started an xmas tape today but got bored fast and gave it to my little > sister.{{ i have a tape with some shadowy men on a shadowy planet xmas songs, > but the tape got ripped up (and there's no screws in the tape... !!?? so i > can't fix it. :P) }} > You can fix it if you really want to. Just pry a small screwdriver into where the two halves meet and twist it till you crack it open. Then carefully transplant plant the two reels into the body of another cassette (the kind with screws). Of course it might just be easier to make the tape all over again especially since you'll have a big ugly gap where the mangled tape was excised. I performed this operation a few times and it worked okay. With all this talk of Christmas tapes, I wanna make my own but its a little late for this year. Maybe next. -B O N G O [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 09:55:05 -0500 From: Eric C Near Subject: TMBG: who is Mike Leffel? Message-id: <366E8F49.980FF66B@marshall.edu> Organization: Marshall University you heard it. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <4D5178818AD8D111A9800000F80681DF15E9CE@LSD43UPD01.fort-mchenry.navy.mil> From: ET2 Zurell Subject: Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm Single????? -Reply Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 01:14:15 +0900 > Does anyone know about a European Dr. Worm single? I was just >bumming around the 'net and decided to drop into gemm.com and >they list an European import Dr. Worm single. Anyone have any info >on this? Does anyone know if restless plans a u.s. Dr. Worm single? Not so sure about Europe, but there appears to be an Asian version that I heard (twice now) in my favorite little Karaoke bar in Japan. It is odd that it isn't like the STD version or the .MOV from tmbg.com. Am I going crazy or has anyone else heard this (new) version? --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- I am a kind of paranoiac in reverse. I suspect people of plotting to make me happy. -J. D. Salinger [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] >>the Childrens Album was going to be titled "No"....is this true? old >>news? I don't know if it's true, but it would seem to be the perfect name for a TMBG children's album. Think about it...what's the one word that kids hate to hear from other people "No, you can't have this...No, you can't do that". Using the one word that children hate above all others as the name for a children's album sooooooo TMBGish. (not that I'm saying they necessarily had that in mind) --Jason-- From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed Dec 9 11:47:09 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) id LAA02364 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 11:47:09 -0500 (EST) Received: from smtp.america.net (smtp.america.net [199.170.121.14]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) with ESMTP id LAA02345 for ; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 11:47:03 -0500 (EST) Received: from mail.orthotrac.com (mail.orthotrac.com [204.252.122.17]) by smtp.america.net (8.9.1/8.9.1) with ESMTP id LAA23982 for ; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 11:45:08 -0500 (EST) Received: by mail.orthotrac.com from localhost (router,SLMail V3.1); Wed, 09 Dec 1998 12:01:12 -0500 Received: by mail.orthotrac.com from sir-hand [132.147.110.239] (SLmail 3.1.2948 (Release Build)); Wed, 09 Dec 1998 12:01:12 -0500 From: "Stephen Shores" To: Subject: TMBG: Anyone out there still like Flood? Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 11:46:35 -0500 X-MSMail-Priority: Normal X-Priority: 3 X-Mailer: Microsoft Internet Mail 4.70.1155 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Message-Id: <19981209120112.f6bffd2a8ddc11d2af630000b4839961.in@mail.orthotrac.com> Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Stephen Shores" Hey, I got started with TMBG on Flood (actually, some guys were driving me crazy singing the songs on a hiking trip for miles and miles!), but now I just get sick of it. After expanding my collection to include all of their albums, I find that Flood just kind of pales in comparison- maybe it's too commercial? Maybe I'm just sick of it? What do you think? My personal favorite right now is John Henry- the decidsion to use real instrumentation produced a really great, well-balanced rocking album. What do you guys think? (BTW, PLEASE stop talking about this Josh guy! TMBG all the way! Stephen From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed Dec 9 12:06:17 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) id MAA03758 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 12:06:17 -0500 (EST) Received: from imo26.mx.aol.com (imo26.mx.aol.com [198.81.17.70]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) with ESMTP id MAA03749 for ; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 12:06:15 -0500 (EST) From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Received: from KdsInThHal@aol.com by imo26.mx.aol.com (IMOv18.1) id CSUSa25362 for ; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 11:59:26 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <4ff116e5.366eac6e@aol.com> Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 11:59:26 EST To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Mime-Version: 1.0 Subject: Re: TMBG: Anyone out there still like Flood? Content-type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit X-Mailer: AOL for Macintosh sub 189 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: KdsInThHal@aol.com In a message dated 12/9/98 11:49:17 AM, sshores@orthotrac.com writes: >Hey, > > > > I got started with TMBG on Flood (actually, some guys were driving me > >crazy singing the songs on a hiking trip for miles and miles!), but now >I > >just get sick of it. After expanding my collection to include all of their > >albums, I find that Flood just kind of pales in comparison- maybe it's >too > >commercial? Maybe I'm just sick of it? What do you think? My personal > >favorite right now is John Henry- the decidsion to use real instrumentation > >produced a really great, well-balanced rocking album. i'm not a fan of commercial things; but i still like flood. it may tie with FS in my ranking, and they'd probably come in last, but i still love it.. john henry's my favourite i guess, tied with lincoln... wait.. i love the pink album... arrrrrgh.. screw this. yes. sarah From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed Dec 9 12:16:30 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) id MAA04407 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 12:16:30 -0500 (EST) Received: from imo28.mx.aol.com (imo28.mx.aol.com [198.81.17.72]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) with ESMTP id MAA04397 for ; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 12:16:28 -0500 (EST) From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Received: from KdsInThHal@aol.com by imo28.mx.aol.com (IMOv18.1) id GJYQa05320 for ; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 12:15:22 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <6fb2571e.366eb02a@aol.com> Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 12:15:22 EST To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Mime-Version: 1.0 Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Okay, okay, listen up. Content-type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit X-Mailer: AOL for Macintosh sub 189 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: KdsInThHal@aol.com In a message dated 12/8/98 11:50:10 PM, dilbert_2000@hotmail.com writes: >Except the part of not returning to my >site. This guy hates my site, though he is constantly hanging around my > >site. How do i know? BEHOLD! MY GUESTBOOK! FEAST YOUR EYES UPON THE >NUMBER OF TIMES HE HAS SIGNED IT! >http://callisto.guestworld.tripod.lycos.com/wgb/wgbview.dbm?owner=Zapruter well, the thing with the guestbooks is, the entries can be easily forged. how do we know it wasn't *you*? i'm not saying it can't be him. but. not everyone is completely gullible. especially with that little.. Total Number of Guests 12 Unapproved Guests 14 and you are aware that you can delete entries, aren't you? sarah From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed Dec 9 12:17:03 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) id MAA04465 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 12:17:03 -0500 (EST) Received: from imo20.mx.aol.com (imo20.mx.aol.com [198.81.17.10]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) with ESMTP id MAA04455 for ; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 12:17:00 -0500 (EST) From: Kaylum@aol.com Received: from Kaylum@aol.com by imo20.mx.aol.com (IMOv18.1) id ODPDa07111 for ; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 12:14:55 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 12:14:55 EST To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Mime-Version: 1.0 Subject: Re: TMBG: Anyone out there still like Flood? Content-type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit X-Mailer: AOL 3.0 16-bit for Windows sub 86 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Kaylum@aol.com Yes, I still love Flood (currently in my car's tape deck) but no more or less than I love any of their cds. I can't imagine doing without a single one, because every single cd has a few absolute gems and others that I love almost as much, with only one or two songs per cd I could live without. That's a damn good average. It's interesting that you mention how the full band sound of JH is an improvement since there is currently a thread on the newsgroup about whether or not they should ditch the band (I don't think so). Kay From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed Dec 9 12:20:43 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) id MAA04885 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 12:20:43 -0500 (EST) Received: from imo18.mx.aol.com (imo18.mx.aol.com [198.81.17.8]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) with ESMTP id MAA04874 for ; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 12:20:41 -0500 (EST) From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Received: from KdsInThHal@aol.com by imo18.mx.aol.com (IMOv18.1) id ERAEa20431 for ; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 12:19:15 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <8167aae9.366eb113@aol.com> Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 12:19:15 EST To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Mime-Version: 1.0 Subject: non TMBG: "wisdom" from josh's page Content-type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit X-Mailer: AOL for Macintosh sub 189 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: KdsInThHal@aol.com "I like They Might Be Giants alot, but I've lost interest in them since discovering what dumb beasts ("fans") they attract. Bug lights are cool, but bugs are not, get me? " From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed Dec 9 12:26:28 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) id MAA05429 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 12:26:28 -0500 (EST) Received: from taurus.oursc.k12.ar.us (rlowery@taurus.oursc.k12.ar.us [165.29.134.2]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) with ESMTP id MAA05420 for ; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 12:26:25 -0500 (EST) Received: from localhost (rlowery@localhost) by taurus.oursc.k12.ar.us (8.9.0/8.7.3) with SMTP id MAA20824 for ; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 12:32:48 -0600 Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 12:32:48 -0600 (CST) From: Jim To: TMBG Mailing List Subject: Re: TMBG: Anyone out there still like Flood? In-Reply-To: <19981209120112.f6bffd2a8ddc11d2af630000b4839961.in@mail.orthotrac.com> Message-ID: MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Jim On Wed, 9 Dec 1998, Stephen Shores wrote: > Hey, Hey. > I got started with TMBG on Flood Heh . . . I got started on Apollo 18. The Statue Got Me High, to be specific. I was talking to a friend on the phone when he suddenly said, "Hey, listen to this!" and put the phone up to his stereo speakers. After listening for a bit, he asked me what I thought. "Great!" I said. "Who the hell are they?" "They Might Be Giants," he replied. And thus began my trek into the depths of They-dom . . . > (actually, some guys were driving me crazy singing the songs on a hiking > trip for miles and miles!), but now I just get sick of it. After > expanding my collection to include all of their albums, I find that > Flood just kind of pales in comparison- maybe it's too commercial? Maybe > I'm just sick of it? What do you think? I do nae have a favorite album, as I enjoy all of them more or less equally. One of the things that placed Them as my absolute favorite band ever was the fact that there is not one song of theirs that I actually hate. There are only maybe one or two (Bag of Groceries and SEXXY are the first that spring to mind) that I could say I don't really care for, but even those I listen to and know all the words to. Flood is no less entertaining to me now that it's ever been! I, personally, don't think that the "commercial" argument really hold any water anyway. A band can't really sound "commercial", as many "commercial" bands have had extremely different sounds. And just because Flood did better commercially than their other albums shouldn't be any reason to ostricize it . . . I hate it when people do that. My brother, for example, absolutely loved Hanson's MMMBop until he found out everyone else loved it, too, after which he dropped it like a red hot bar of iron. I mean, really, if you like the music, like the music . . . doesn't matter whether someone else (or everyone else) likes it or not. > My personal favorite right now is John Henry- the decidsion to use real > instrumentation produced a really great, well-balanced rocking album. My favorite songs right now is a tie between the STD versions of Spider and James Ensor (the latter mostly because of the "vocal guitars" =] ). > What do you guys think? I think I don't want to shoot the bunny. Jimbo: What are you talking about, you don't want to shoot the bunny?! You're babbling! You're hysterical! I'm not hysterical. I just don't want to shoot the bunny. > (BTW, PLEASE stop talking about this Josh guy! TMBG all the way! TMBG ALL THE WAY, BABY! Jim-ical Man, Jim-ical Man, doing the things that a Jim-ical can . . . From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed Dec 9 12:26:43 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) id MAA05484 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 12:26:43 -0500 (EST) Received: from imo27.mx.aol.com (imo27.mx.aol.com [198.81.17.71]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) with ESMTP id MAA05474 for ; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 12:26:41 -0500 (EST) From: Kaylum@aol.com Received: from Kaylum@aol.com by imo27.mx.aol.com (IMOv18.1) id 3GEVa12601 for ; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 12:20:49 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <659fd7c1.366eb171@aol.com> Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 12:20:49 EST To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Mime-Version: 1.0 Subject: TMBG: M2/Childrens Album Content-type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit X-Mailer: AOL 3.0 16-bit for Windows sub 86 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Kaylum@aol.com << >>the Childrens Album was going to be titled "No"....is this true? old >>news? I don't know if it's true, but it would seem to be the perfect name for a TMBG children's album. Think about it...what's the one word that kids hate to hear from other people "No, you can't have this...No, you can't do that". Using the one word that children hate above all others as the name for a children's album sooooooo TMBGish. (not that I'm saying they necessarily had that in mind) >> They mention "No" as the title of their children's album in the MTV feature interview (linked to the www.tmbg.org main page). It's a cool title, but it could backfire to use a word kids hate as the title if they expect kids to actuallly *want* the cd. They also mention that their next regular cd is going to be called "Jesus, Hitler, and Me" (referring to Flansburgh's hopeful rise to third place in the Time person of the Century pole behind Jesus and Hilter), so there's no telling if they're serious about "No" or not ("Insect Hospital," anyone?). Kay From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed Dec 9 12:30:13 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) id MAA05784 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 12:30:13 -0500 (EST) Received: from taurus.oursc.k12.ar.us (rlowery@taurus.oursc.k12.ar.us [165.29.134.2]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) with ESMTP id MAA05772 for ; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 12:30:09 -0500 (EST) Received: from localhost (rlowery@localhost) by taurus.oursc.k12.ar.us (8.9.0/8.7.3) with SMTP id MAA20869 for ; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 12:36:29 -0600 Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 12:36:29 -0600 (CST) From: Jim To: TMBG Mailing List Subject: Re: non TMBG: "wisdom" from josh's page In-Reply-To: <8167aae9.366eb113@aol.com> Message-ID: MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Jim On Wed, 9 Dec 1998 KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: > "I like They Might Be Giants alot, but I've lost interest in them since > discovering what dumb beasts ("fans") they attract. Bug lights are cool, > but bugs are not, get me? " But . . . bug lights are so much cooler when bugs run into them, neh? 'Course, no one has been electri-fried by touching one of the Johns . . . at least, I don't THINK anyone has . . . Jim, Jim, Jim of the Jungle "Don't go towards the light!" "I can't help it . . . it's so beautiful . . . *BZAP* ARGH!" -A Bug's Life From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed Dec 9 12:36:24 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) id MAA06292 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 12:36:24 -0500 (EST) Received: from sys4.cambridge.uk.psi.net (sys4.cambridge.uk.psi.net [154.32.106.14]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) with ESMTP id MAA06282 for ; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 12:36:20 -0500 (EST) From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Received: (from uucp@localhost) by sys4.cambridge.uk.psi.net (8.9.1/8.9.1) with UUCP id RAA18198 for tmbg-list@tmbg.org; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 17:32:21 GMT Message-Id: Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 17:19:30 +0000 To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: TMBG : May I wish you all... MIME-version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 X-Mailer: TFS Gateway /222000000/222050737/222002760/222100525/ Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit X-MIME-Autoconverted: from quoted-printable to 8bit by ussenterprise.ufp.org id MAA06283 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: rhilton@bitc.org.uk I have no idea if this is acceptable for this list but as I*m shortly off to the sun until next year can I take this opportunity to wish you all a mery Xmas and a happy New Year Can I thank everyone for their posts over the last year (well, since I joined anyway) especially, but not exclusively, people like bicknell@ufp, captainmarvel2, Uncle Squid (see you at the concerts in January?), grennjello1973. J.Kueemnerle, KidsInThHal, Superman75 and of course tmbgirl (for the tapes which I hope are on their way) and Russj (for the videos). And even dilbert_2000 - well it is the season of goodwill! Messages on the list have made turning on the computer each morning a pleasure; and when all you tend to do with a computer is spreadsheets and balance books you need an incentive to switch the thing on! I hope to see some of you in London in mid January when TMBG play two, yes two, concerts. I suspect nothing less than the promise of two TMBG concerts will make me leave that tropical Australian beach to come back to a damp and wet London. So enjoy yourselves everyone. Richard - *so, these sharks, friendly are they?* packing one teashirt, one swimming costume, one suntan lotion, one camera, one pair of sunglasses but many books. From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed Dec 9 12:45:45 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) id MAA06977 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 12:45:45 -0500 (EST) Received: from imo24.mx.aol.com (imo24.mx.aol.com [198.81.17.68]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) with ESMTP id MAA06966 for ; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 12:45:42 -0500 (EST) From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Received: from KdsInThHal@aol.com by imo24.mx.aol.com (IMOv18.1) id KKa0019904 for ; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 12:38:06 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <9e8b421a.366eb57e@aol.com> Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 12:38:06 EST To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Mime-Version: 1.0 Subject: Re: TMBG: Campus bands Content-type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit X-Mailer: AOL for Macintosh sub 189 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: KdsInThHal@aol.com In a message dated 12/9/98 3:01:14 AM, nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu writes: >A shame, because their first two albums (never cared for _Born on a Pirate >Ship_, returned it the week after I bought it) are very good--melodic, >insightful, bitingly funny. how do you people do that? i've never returned a cd in my life. sometimes i'm not crazy about them, and i keep them.. it can be a year until they grow on me, or i even decide to give them a second chance. i still even have ones i do dislike (from that spurt of music in 1994... green day, offspring..) and i plan to take them to a used store, i just never get around to it. sarah From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed Dec 9 13:09:31 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) id NAA08529 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 13:09:31 -0500 (EST) Received: from express.cec.wustl.edu (express.cec.wustl.edu [128.252.21.16]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) with ESMTP id NAA08520 for ; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 13:09:29 -0500 (EST) Received: from hilton.cec.wustl.edu (wt3@hilton.cec.wustl.edu [128.252.21.4]) by express.cec.wustl.edu (8.8.5/CTS-JEK1.2) with ESMTP id MAA11680 for ; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 12:09:15 -0600 (CST) Received: from localhost (wt3@localhost) by hilton.cec.wustl.edu (8.8.5/CTS-JEK1.2) with SMTP id MAA20531 for ; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 12:09:10 -0600 (CST) X-Authentication-Warning: hilton.cec.wustl.edu: wt3 owned process doing -bs Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 12:09:10 -0600 (CST) From: bill tatalovich To: TMBG Subject: Re: TMBG: Used CDs In-Reply-To: <9e8b421a.366eb57e@aol.com> Message-ID: MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: bill tatalovich On Wed, 9 Dec 1998 KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: > how do you people do that? i've never returned a cd in my life. > sometimes i'm not crazy about them, and i keep them.. it can be a year > until they grow on me, or i even decide to give them a second chance. i > still even have ones i do dislike (from that spurt of music in 1994... > green day, offspring..) and i plan to take them to a used store, i just > never get around to it. Obviously, I can't speak for many people here, but I have a couple of different reasons why I "return" CDs: --I really really need money (ah, don't ya love college?) --I review something (I do music reviews for a campus paper) that is really really bad --I just decide that I'm never going to listen to a CD ever again, and want to get something I will actually enjoy I know that there are some holes in what I do (I normally sell about 5 CDs a month or so)...I sold a Cursive CD (Such Blinding Stars for Starving Eyes, in case anyone's heard them), and then decided two weeks later that I HAD to hear a certain song. So then I was screwed. But hey...just yesterday I traded the Cher CD (which I got for free, but never bothered to listen to), the newest Sarah Mclachlan (had two), and the new Dial 7 album (which is just bad) for four 7"s (Jawbox, Promise Ring, Karl Hendricks Trio, and a split 7" between Tim Kinsella and Jen Wood) and a CD single (split between Burning Airlines and Braid). Not a bad deal... The Rev, who is praying he survives the last week of the semester |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| | Reverend Bill Tatalovich | Home page: | | | http://students.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/ | | wt3@cec.wustl.edu |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ | personnel@kwur.wustl.edu | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed Dec 9 13:12:52 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) id NAA08763 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 13:12:52 -0500 (EST) Received: from imo19.mx.aol.com (imo19.mx.aol.com [198.81.17.9]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) with ESMTP id NAA08754 for ; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 13:12:50 -0500 (EST) From: Alterian@aol.com Received: from Alterian@aol.com by imo19.mx.aol.com (IMOv18.1) id 3ARWa15057 for ; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 13:09:32 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <3cfdf32d.366ebcdc@aol.com> Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 13:09:32 EST To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Mime-Version: 1.0 Subject: Re: TMBG: Anyone out there still like Flood? Content-type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit X-Mailer: AOL 4.0 for Windows 95 sub 226 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Alterian@aol.com I got started on Flood way back..umm 3 years ago? No..must of been longer than that.. anyways I was in 8th grade..didn't ahve a lot of money, and it was the first cd I ever owned. I begged my parents for it for christmas. I still like it when I'm in a certain mood, but I got all flooded out when that was the only cd I had to listen to when I went down to Florida driving with my parents from all the way from NY. After listening to one cd that long...man..you start to hallucinate..or maybe the subliminal messages took effect and thats why I'm such a big fan now.. ::shrugs:: -Amber the Transcendent Mistress of the Known Cosmos, Empress for Eternity From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed Dec 9 13:30:11 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) id NAA10048 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 13:30:11 -0500 (EST) Received: from mail4.visi.net (geneva.visi.net [206.246.194.4]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) with ESMTP id NAA10039 for ; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 13:30:09 -0500 (EST) Received: from idiotnot.visi.net (ppp34.ts5-2.NewportNews.visi.net [209.8.198.98]) by mail4.visi.net (8.8.8/8.8.5) with SMTP id NAA12091 for ; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 13:35:06 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <006801be23a1$3a906140$62c608d1@idiotnot.visi.net> From: "S. Bergeron" To: "TMBG Fans Anonymous" Subject: TMBG: DC Show on the 30th. Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 13:24:56 -0500 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit X-Priority: 3 X-MSMail-Priority: Normal X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 4.72.3110.5 X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V4.72.3110.3 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "S. Bergeron" Anyone got any details on where to get tix? Methinks I may be able to get the day off to come up for the show. Roadtrip!!! Whoohoo!!! Jack Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net bluedawg@tmbg.org "Someday, somebody else besides me will call me by my stage name."--Doctor Worm http://www.tmbg.org/~bluedawg/ From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed Dec 9 13:49:00 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) id NAA11360 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 13:49:00 -0500 (EST) Received: from andrew.cmu.edu (ANDREW.CMU.EDU [128.2.10.101]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) with ESMTP id NAA11349 for ; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 13:48:55 -0500 (EST) Received: (from postman@localhost) by andrew.cmu.edu (8.8.5/8.8.2) id NAA11369 for tmbg-list@tmbg.org; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 13:48:46 -0500 (EST) Received: via switchmail; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 13:48:46 -0500 (EST) Received: from unix10.andrew.cmu.edu via qmail ID ; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 13:46:50 -0500 (EST) Received: from unix10.andrew.cmu.edu via qmail ID ; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 13:46:48 -0500 (EST) Received: from mms.4.60.Jun.27.1996.03.02.53.sun4.51.EzMail.2.0.CUILIB.3.45.SNAP.NOT.LINKED.unix10.andrew.cmu.edu.sun4m.54 via MS.5.6.unix10.andrew.cmu.edu.sun4_51; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 13:46:46 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 13:46:46 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Anyone out there still like Flood? In-Reply-To: <19981209120112.f6bffd2a8ddc11d2af630000b4839961.in@mail.orthotrac.com> References: <19981209120112.f6bffd2a8ddc11d2af630000b4839961.in@mail.orthotrac.com> Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Lawrence P Solomon Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 9-Dec-98 TMBG: Anyone out there stil.. by "Stephen Shores"@orthotr > albums, I find that Flood just kind of pales in comparison- maybe it's too > commercial? Maybe I'm just sick of it? What do you think? My personal > favorite right now is John Henry- the decidsion to use real instrumentation > produced a really great, well-balanced rocking album. I definitely agree with you there... It's not that it's too commercial - I don't think it is. But it's... top heavy, for one... I love the first 10 tracks or so... then it becomes sparse... I skip Hearing Aid, and sometimes Minimum Wage (it gets annoying after too many listens), listen to Letterbox and Whistling, and then turn it off and put in a different CD. I think Apollo 18 is the same way. And some of thost first 10 tracks get tiresome after a while. Flood is a much more... synthetic sounding album than the mostly acoustic Lincoln... John Henry, on the other hand, has Out of Jail, Stomp Box, and the End of the Tour, to give balance to Subliminal, Sleeping in the Flowers, and I Should Be Allowed to Think. Plus it's got a lot of really good stuff in the middle, too. And I think that the End of the Tour is about the strongest ending track they'll ever have - I used it as the last track on my tape, "TMBG's very best songs," too. Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "You keep handing out horseshoes * This space inadvertently Horseshoes have gotta be tossed." -Moxy Fruvous * left with stuff in it. From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed Dec 9 13:54:15 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) id NAA11580 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 13:54:15 -0500 (EST) Received: from gw.wmich.edu (gw.wmich.edu [141.218.1.100]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) with ESMTP id NAA11570 for ; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 13:54:12 -0500 (EST) Received: from eeyore.cc.wmich.edu (PMDF_BATCH@eeyore.cc.wmich.edu [141.218.20.103]) by gw.wmich.edu (8.9.1a/8.9.1) with ESMTP id NAA16730 for ; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 13:54:01 -0500 (EST) Received: from sarah ("port 1035"@pm137-12.dialip.mich.net) by wmich.edu (PMDF V5.1-12 #D3143) with SMTP id <01J54WY0439Q91WD3L@wmich.edu> for tmbg-list@tmbg.org; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 13:53:59 EST Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 13:54:18 -0500 From: Sarah Subject: Re: TMBG: Anyone out there still like Flood? To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Message-id: <366EC75A.36ED@wmich.edu> MIME-version: 1.0 X-Mailer: Mozilla 3.01Gold (Win95; I) Content-type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-transfer-encoding: 7BIT References: <19981209120112.f6bffd2a8ddc11d2af630000b4839961.in@mail.orthotrac.com> Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Sarah I started my TMBG fetish with flood too. (Actually it was thanx to Tiny Toons, who knew?) And I still love it. I mean, how could I live without Birdhouse, and I still love Groceries... And if I ever had to rank their albums, I don't hink I could do it. I mean, I could... but it would be VERY difficult since they all have such greatness and I would never be stisfied with the rankings. ~Sarah *You will go to the moon* -- *While making Snow Angels, I looked up and saw Angels making Cloud People* >>>Visit my homepage!<<< http://www.angelfire.com/me/momerath >>>Don't Forget to Sign my Guestbook!<<< From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed Dec 9 13:54:29 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) id NAA11893 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 13:54:29 -0500 (EST) Received: from po8.andrew.cmu.edu (PO8.ANDREW.CMU.EDU [128.2.10.108]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) with ESMTP id NAA11881 for ; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 13:54:24 -0500 (EST) Received: (from postman@localhost) by po8.andrew.cmu.edu (8.8.5/8.8.2) id NAA02911 for tmbg-list@tmbg.org; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 13:54:16 -0500 (EST) Received: via switchmail; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 13:54:15 -0500 (EST) Received: from unix10.andrew.cmu.edu via qmail ID ; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 13:53:16 -0500 (EST) Received: from unix10.andrew.cmu.edu via qmail ID ; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 13:53:16 -0500 (EST) Received: from mms.4.60.Jun.27.1996.03.02.53.sun4.51.EzMail.2.0.CUILIB.3.45.SNAP.NOT.LINKED.unix10.andrew.cmu.edu.sun4m.54 via MS.5.6.unix10.andrew.cmu.edu.sun4_51; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 13:53:16 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 13:53:16 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: DC Show on the 30th. In-Reply-To: <006801be23a1$3a906140$62c608d1@idiotnot.visi.net> References: <006801be23a1$3a906140$62c608d1@idiotnot.visi.net> Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Lawrence P Solomon Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 9-Dec-98 TMBG: DC Show on the 30th. by "S. Bergeron"@visi.net > Anyone got any details on where to get tix? Methinks I may be able to get > the day off to come up for the show. Roadtrip!!! Whoohoo!!! Call 1-800-551-7328. That's Ticketbastard's number listed on the envelope they gave me (there are local numbers, too, but presumably you want to call toll free) It's gonna be a kickass show - they've had two months to practice. I'd better hear some songs they haven't played in a while... Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "You keep handing out horseshoes * This space inadvertently Horseshoes have gotta be tossed." -Moxy Fruvous * left with stuff in it. From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed Dec 9 13:58:54 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) id NAA12155 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 13:58:54 -0500 (EST) Received: from hotmail.com (f285.hotmail.com [207.82.251.176]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) with SMTP id NAA12143 for ; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 13:58:51 -0500 (EST) Received: (qmail 28570 invoked by uid 0); 9 Dec 1998 18:58:14 -0000 Message-ID: <19981209185814.28569.qmail@hotmail.com> Received: from 205.144.127.200 by www.hotmail.com with HTTP; Wed, 09 Dec 1998 10:58:14 PST X-Originating-IP: [205.144.127.200] From: "Todd Wetherbee" To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org, rlowery@taurus.oursc.k12.ar.us Subject: Re: TMBG: Anyone out there still like Flood? MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 10:58:14 PST Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Todd Wetherbee" > Jim-ical Man, Jim-ical Man, doing the things that a >Jim-ical can . . . > > welcome to the jungle, Jim ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed Dec 9 14:02:15 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) id OAA12298 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 14:02:15 -0500 (EST) Received: from mailhost.rmci.net (rmci.net [205.162.184.16] (may be forged)) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) with SMTP id OAA12285 for ; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 14:02:12 -0500 (EST) Received: (qmail 27315 invoked from network); 9 Dec 1998 12:01:25 -0700 Received: from unknown (HELO default) (208.1.108.168) by mail.rmci.net with SMTP; 9 Dec 1998 12:01:25 -0700 Message-ID: <366EC8AE.1E02@rica.net> Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 13:59:58 -0500 From: Joey Groah X-Mailer: Mozilla 3.01 (Win95; I) MIME-Version: 1.0 To: "S. Bergeron" CC: The Mike Leffel List Subject: Re: TMBG: DC Show on the 30th. References: <006801be23a1$3a906140$62c608d1@idiotnot.visi.net> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Joey Groah S. Bergeron wrote: > > Anyone got any details on where to get tix? 930.com has phone info and the like. Joey, over-using "Mike Leffel" From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed Dec 9 14:02:18 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) id OAA12328 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 14:02:18 -0500 (EST) Received: from gw.wmich.edu (gw.wmich.edu [141.218.1.100]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) with ESMTP id OAA12296 for ; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 14:02:14 -0500 (EST) Received: from eeyore.cc.wmich.edu (PMDF_BATCH@eeyore.cc.wmich.edu [141.218.20.103]) by gw.wmich.edu (8.9.1a/8.9.1) with ESMTP id OAA18462 for ; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 14:02:07 -0500 (EST) Received: from sarah ("port 1041"@pm137-12.dialip.mich.net) by wmich.edu (PMDF V5.1-12 #D3143) with SMTP id <01J54X7WR5AW91WD3L@wmich.edu> for tmbg-list@tmbg.org; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 14:01:58 EST Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 14:02:18 -0500 From: Sarah Subject: Re: TMBG: Anyone out there still like Flood? To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Message-id: <366EC939.F1A@wmich.edu> MIME-version: 1.0 X-Mailer: Mozilla 3.01Gold (Win95; I) Content-type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-transfer-encoding: 7BIT References: <19981209120112.f6bffd2a8ddc11d2af630000b4839961.in@mail.orthotrac.com> <366EC75A.36ED@wmich.edu> Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Sarah > > I started my TMBG fetish with flood too. (Actually it was thanx to Tiny > Toons, who knew?) Actually, Tiny Toons just sparked my interest and I it took me a year or so to figure out that these guys were real, and to figure out what there name actually was (There May Be Giants? What?) But Apollo 18 was actually the first album I heard. My friend had it and I borrowed it and memorized the whole thing. and that was before I actually got out and bought Flood. ~Sarah *Make a little birdhoue in your soul* -- *While making Snow Angels, I looked up and saw Angels making Cloud People* >>>Visit my homepage!<<< http://www.angelfire.com/me/momerath >>>Don't Forget to Sign my Guestbook!<<< From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed Dec 9 14:28:26 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) id OAA14411 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 14:28:26 -0500 (EST) Received: from frodo.marshall.edu (SYSTEM@frodo.MARSHALL.EDU [206.212.27.122]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) with ESMTP id OAA14402 for ; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 14:28:21 -0500 (EST) Received: from marshall.edu (DL1119.MARSHALL.EDU) by MARSHALL.EDU (PMDF V5.1-10 #20911) with ESMTP id <01J54XR30O3090OAZZ@MARSHALL.EDU> for tmbg-list@tmbg.org; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 14:17:26 EST Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 14:18:38 -0500 From: Eric C Near Subject: Re: TMBG: Anyone out there still like Flood? To: "tmbg-list@tmbg.org" Message-id: <366ECD0E.29FE28D9@marshall.edu> Organization: Marshall University MIME-version: 1.0 X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.05 [en] (WinNT; I) Content-type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit References: <19981209120112.f6bffd2a8ddc11d2af630000b4839961.in@mail.orthotrac.com> Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Eric C Near I have to admit I'm a Floodie. It is how I started liking TMBG like you. But then I got John Henry and it blew me away. I hated Factory Showroom and I like Severe Tire Damage. Stephen Shores wrote: > > Hey, > > I got started with TMBG on Flood (actually, some guys were driving me > crazy singing the songs on a hiking trip for miles and miles!), but now I > just get sick of it. After expanding my collection to include all of their > albums, I find that Flood just kind of pales in comparison- maybe it's too > commercial? Maybe I'm just sick of it? What do you think? My personal > favorite right now is John Henry- the decidsion to use real instrumentation > produced a really great, well-balanced rocking album. > > What do you guys think? > > (BTW, PLEASE stop talking about this Josh guy! TMBG all the way! > > Stephen -- Eric C. Near Email: near1@marshall.edu Web: http://webpages.marshall.edu/~near1 http://members.tripod.com/web_tonight/ ICQ: 5935820 AOL: Near1980 * ------------------------------------------- Opinions are either mine or not. From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed Dec 9 15:15:25 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) id PAA17724 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 15:15:25 -0500 (EST) Received: from extern1.mindscape.com (extern1.mindscape.com [205.156.204.35]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) with ESMTP id PAA17688 for ; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 15:14:59 -0500 (EST) From: CPatubo@mindscape.com Received: from nvtomta.mindscape.com (nvtomta.mindscape.com [205.156.204.40]) by extern1.mindscape.com (8.9.1/8.9.1) with SMTP id MAA07933 for ; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 12:18:02 -0800 (PST) Received: by nvtomta.mindscape.com(Lotus SMTP MTA Internal build v4.6.2 (651.2 6-10-1998)) id 882566D5.006F38F9 ; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 12:14:50 -0800 X-Lotus-FromDomain: MINDSCAPE To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Message-ID: <882566D5.006F37EC.00@nvtomta.mindscape.com> Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 12:15:11 -0800 Subject: Re: NonTMBG: Dr. Drew Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Disposition: inline Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: CPatubo@mindscape.com ooh! ooh! ooh! what did the good Doctor have to say? --jim kuemmerle, who thinks dr. drew is quite the man... well, you can check out http://www.usaweekend.com for the article. The quote that *did* hit home for me was "What do people do at the end of a relationship? They do the same thing all over again [with a new partner]. Why not try to heal the relationship you're in?" I stand firmly behind Dr. Drew's view of intimacy and monogamy. Now back to our regularly scheduled TMBG content. :) -courtney a closet dr. drew fan, and didn't even know it! From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed Dec 9 15:27:07 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) id PAA18712 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 15:27:07 -0500 (EST) Received: from send206.yahoomail.com (send206.yahoomail.com [205.180.60.172]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) with SMTP id PAA18690 for ; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 15:26:55 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <19981209201450.22106.rocketmail@send206.yahoomail.com> Received: from [198.36.209.240] by send206.yahoomail.com; Wed, 09 Dec 1998 12:14:50 PST Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 12:14:50 -0800 (PST) From: Me Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Okay, okay, listen up. To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Me ---Josh Buckland wrote: > > Oh, onemore thing... someone on the list was making a > page about TMBG dreams... can anyone give me the URL > to this page? Hasn't been created yet. I'm still taking submissions, though. Send them here or to cherubino@rocketmail.com. Will let everyone know when it's up and running, Inspector Over the Mine _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed Dec 9 15:35:25 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) id PAA19418 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 15:35:25 -0500 (EST) Received: from alpha1000.einpgh.org ([192.204.3.17]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) with ESMTP id PAA19398 for ; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 15:35:11 -0500 (EST) Received: by ALPHA1000 with Internet Mail Service (5.5.1960.3) id ; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 15:33:33 -0500 Message-ID: <93C01F5B27C4D111976B0060970764E803A9BA@ALPHA1000> From: Eric Webber To: Lawrence P Solomon , tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: RE: TMBG: Anyone out there still like Flood? Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 15:33:32 -0500 MIME-Version: 1.0 X-Mailer: Internet Mail Service (5.5.1960.3) Content-Type: text/plain Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Eric Webber Lawrence wrote: > > I don't think it is. But it's... top heavy, for one... I > love the first > 10 tracks or so... then it becomes sparse... I skip Hearing Aid, and > sometimes Minimum Wage (it gets annoying after too many > listens), listen > to Letterbox and Whistling, and then turn it off and put in a > different > CD. I think Apollo 18 is the same way. > I used to feel the same way about Flood, that all the best tracks were the earlier ones but over the years I've come to love every song, even Sapphire Bullets. By the way Dead is my _favorite_ TMBG song. It beautiful. Anyway, I think Flood is one of the best TMBG albums, and I don't hesitate to say that. I think the songs are very pure. I don't exactly know what that means, but I think it's accurate. It's also because it's the only album that dosen't have a song that annoys me. FLOOD FOREVER! -Wubba Eric Webber Network Support Specialist Electronic Information Network webbere@einpgh.org From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed Dec 9 15:53:39 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) id PAA20724 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 15:53:39 -0500 (EST) Received: from send205.yahoomail.com (send205.yahoomail.com [205.180.60.165]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) with SMTP id PAA20713 for ; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 15:53:36 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <19981209195912.29658.rocketmail@send205.yahoomail.com> Received: from [198.36.209.240] by send205.yahoomail.com; Wed, 09 Dec 1998 11:59:12 PST Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 11:59:12 -0800 (PST) From: Me Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: yet another pointless song interp To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Me ---Thomas Kula wrote: > > At 19:03 -0600 12/8/98, Me wrote: > >So I was listening to Apollo 18 on the way to work today, and "See the > >Constellation" came on... > > > Actually, if I may add my $0.02: I never thought of > the song in that way, Funny, neither had I until yesterday, and I've had the album for quite a while. > but I do like the song because to me it is all about > Radio Astronomy (one > of my favorite areas of science). "Can you hear what > I see in the sky?" That's cool! > Or it could just be a stoned guy.... :) BTW, I should probably add that I don't necessarily think this was what Flans was thinking when he wrote the song. It's just an interesting way of looking at it. Inspector Over the Mine _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed Dec 9 16:20:56 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) id QAA22584 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 16:20:56 -0500 (EST) Received: from f04n01.cac.psu.edu (f04s01.cac.psu.edu [128.118.141.31]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) with ESMTP id QAA22558 for ; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 16:20:39 -0500 (EST) Received: from ibm193 (ibm193.bd.psu.edu [146.186.52.177]) by f04n01.cac.psu.edu (8.8.7/8.6.12) with SMTP id QAA98570 for ; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 16:20:30 -0500 Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19981209162029.0090ea20@EMail.Psu.Edu> X-Sender: jdf179@EMail.Psu.Edu X-Mailer: Windows Eudora Light Version 3.0.1 (32) Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 16:20:29 -0500 To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org From: Jason Fickley Subject: TMBG: STD review Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Jason Fickley I stumbled across this Severe Tire Damage review that I haven't seen posted here yet (if it has been posted...oh well) http://www.seattlesquare.com/pandemonium/cdreviewstext/TheyMightBeGiants.htm --Jason-- From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed Dec 9 17:15:22 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) id RAA26210 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 17:15:22 -0500 (EST) Received: from x18.boston.juno.com (x18.boston.juno.com [205.231.101.29]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) with ESMTP id RAA26200 for ; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 17:15:19 -0500 (EST) From: tmbgirl@juno.com Received: (from tmbgirl@juno.com) by x18.boston.juno.com (queuemail) id DV3D66GM; Wed, 09 Dec 1998 17:14:22 EST To: Alterian@aol.com Cc: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 15:11:33 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: Anyone out there still like Flood? Message-ID: <19981209.151136.17350.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> References: <3cfdf32d.366ebcdc@aol.com> X-Mailer: Juno 1.49 X-Juno-Line-Breaks: 0-3,5-8,10 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: tmbgirl@juno.com >anyways I was in 8th grade..didn't ahve a lot of money, and it >was the >first cd I ever owned. hahaa! think if they still did stump the band and they had to ask you!! that would be amusing. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html 12/11 Harvey Danger, Soul Coughing, Cherry Poppin' Daddies, and Love & Rockets :) ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed Dec 9 18:08:58 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) id SAA00521 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 18:08:58 -0500 (EST) Received: from smtp2.mindspring.com (smtp2.mindspring.com [207.69.200.32]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) with ESMTP id SAA00512 for ; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 18:08:56 -0500 (EST) Received: from tuna (user-38lc6qb.dialup.mindspring.com [209.86.27.75]) by smtp2.mindspring.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with SMTP id SAA08522 for ; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 18:08:49 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19981209183341.007dbc50@pop.mindspring.com> X-Sender: benshaw@pop.mindspring.com X-Mailer: Windows Eudora Light Version 3.0.1 (32) Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 18:33:41 -0500 To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org From: Ben Bradshaw Subject: Re: TMBG: Mrs. Train Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Ben Bradshaw >I think it should >have >and that it maybe should have replaced Window in the rotation. "Back >to >Skull"'s other great b-side, the alternate Hotel Detective, also, IMO, >should have been placed on John Henry in place of Self Called Nowhere. >I don't like Self Called Nowhere all that much. Anyone else feel this >way? I don't really care for Window, so yeah, it'd be great if the alternate Hotel Detective or Mrs. Train was put on instead. However, I happen to think Self Called Nowhere is great. John's accent is great, the imagery, and the way the lyrics and singing reach a crescendo (if that's even the correct music terminology, since I'm about the most musically untalented person on the planet) are all just great. In fact, it is one of the songs I look forward to most on the album. Ben From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed Dec 9 18:31:07 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) id SAA02130 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 18:31:07 -0500 (EST) Received: from m14.boston.juno.com (m14.boston.juno.com [205.231.101.193]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) with ESMTP id SAA02118 for ; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 18:31:02 -0500 (EST) Received: (from gray42@juno.com) by m14.boston.juno.com (queuemail) id DV3H5UAE; Wed, 09 Dec 1998 18:23:33 EST To: tmbgirl@juno.com Cc: captainmarvel2@juno.com, tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 18:11:11 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Floodies Message-ID: <19981209.181131.-168345.0.gray42@juno.com> X-Mailer: Juno 2.0.11 X-Juno-Line-Breaks: 0-3,14-18,20-21,24-32 X-Juno-Att: 0 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit From: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) >okie... how bouts all the floodies out there? you think you'd do it >all over again? what if your a floodie who didn't listen to Flood until about 2 or 3 years after it was made, yet it was the first album of theirs you heard, and the one that got you hooked. I had never previously heard of TMBG before I listened to Flood around 1993, when my big sis played it for me. In my depressed state of mind (middle school is hell) TMBG cheered me up greatly, and thus became a very important part of my life. If I could feel the same way I felt, when TMBG was a new form of prozac for me, yes I would do it all over again :) *sniff* But TMBG still makes my glee, wee hee hee. But everyone knows that no time is like the first time you fall in love with a great group. And boy did I, this has been about a 6 year relationship. *ah nastalgia* Mysterio Gal (completely out to lunch in squaresville) Rule #666 Always speak in CAPITAL letters, DON'T send letters to the state CAPITAL MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 >take it easy, JOrdaN >http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html > >___________________________________________________________________ >You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get >completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html >or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed Dec 9 20:27:08 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) id UAA09377 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 20:27:08 -0500 (EST) Received: from send204.yahoomail.com (send204.yahoomail.com [205.180.60.158]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) with SMTP id UAA09366 for ; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 20:27:05 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <19981210002144.26849.rocketmail@send204.yahoomail.com> Received: from [198.36.209.240] by send204.yahoomail.com; Wed, 09 Dec 1998 16:21:44 PST Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 16:21:44 -0800 (PST) From: Me Subject: Re: TMBG: Mrs. Train To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Me ---Ben Bradshaw wrote: > However, I happen to think Self Called Nowhere is > great. John's accent is great, the imagery, > and the way the lyrics and singing reach a crescendo Woohoo! I'd love to hear John say "Park your car by the bar at Harvard Yard" in that voice. Not to mention that "Standing in my yard where they tore down the garage to make room for the torn-down garage" is one of the greatest lines he's ever written. The surreal ending is just awesome. Never heard Mrs. Train, Inspector Over the Mine _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed Dec 9 20:28:41 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) id UAA09805 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 20:28:41 -0500 (EST) Received: from m14.boston.juno.com (m14.boston.juno.com [205.231.101.193]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) with ESMTP id UAA09796 for ; Wed, 9 Dec 1998 20:28:38 -0500 (EST) Received: (from gray42@juno.com) by m14.boston.juno.com (queuemail) id DV3Q9GEZ; Wed, 09 Dec 1998 20:27:52 EST To: KdsInThHal@aol.com Cc: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 19:17:15 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG:Fav. Album Message-ID: <19981209.201525.-139333.4.gray42@juno.com> X-Mailer: Juno 2.0.11 X-Juno-Line-Breaks: 3-5,7-8,11 X-Juno-Att: 0 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit From: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) Geez, I'll always have a place for Birdhouse in my heart. I don't really care about comercialism, I care about melody, fidelity, and quantity. But I think my favorite album, that I'll never ever tire of, is Apollo 18. Mysterio Gal (completely out to lunch in squaresville) Rule #666 Always speak in CAPITAL letters, DON'T send letters to the state CAPITAL MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #13-10 ******************************