Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #13-11 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 13, Number 11 Friday, 11 December 1998 Today's Topics: Re: non TMBG: "wisdom" from josh's page Non TMBG: Too many Santas Re: TMBG: Anyone out there still like Flood? Re: Non TMBG: Too many Santas Re: Non TMBG: Too many Santas Re: Non TMBG: Too many Santas TMBG: oh no Re: TMBG: Anyone out there still like Flood? Re: TMBG: Mrs. Train Re: TMBG: fl00dies Re: TMBG: bullsh*t Re: TMBG: Anyone out there still like Flood? NON TMBG: WhoWhere? Re: NON TMBG: WhoWhere? Re: TMBG: Anyone out there still like Flood? TMBG: Where and such... Re: NON TMBG: WhoWhere? TMBG: Factory Showroom YAY!!! Zippie Da Doo!! Re: NON TMBG: WhoWhere? TMBG: Math(ematics) for all Re: NON TMBG: WhoWhere? Re: TMBG: Anyone out there still like Flood? TMBG: Flood opinions and musical associations Re: TMBG: Mrs. Train Re: NON TMBG: WhoWhere? Ditch the Band? (was Re: TMBG: Anyone out there still like Flood?) Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom YAY!!! Zippie Da Doo!! Re: NON TMBG: WhoWhere? TMBG: CPICN TMBG: Re: who/where Re: NON TMBG: WhoWhere? Re: TMBG: CPICN Re: NON TMBG: WhoWhere? Re: TMBG: Anyone out there still like Flood? Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom YAY!!! Zippie Da Doo!! Re: NON TMBG: WhoWhere? Re: TMBG: Flood opinions and musical associations Re: TMBG: Anyone out there still like Flood? Re: NON TMBG: WhoWhere? TMBG: hey all you mp3 people TMBG: vote for Flans in Time Poll, and cheat! NON-TMBG:Edward Gorey TMBG: josh & bnl & stumpbox NON TMBG: WhoWhere? Re: TMBG: Anyone out there still like Flood? Re: TMBG: Anyone out there still like Flood? Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom YAY!!! Zippie Da Doo!! Re: NON-TMBG:Edward Gorey TMBG: PLEASE READ! Re: NON TMBG: WhoWhere? Re: TMBG: Floodies Re: TMBG: CPICN Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 19:25:16 -0500 Subject: Re: non TMBG: "wisdom" from josh's page Message-ID: <19981209.201525.-139333.5.gray42@juno.com> From: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) > But . . . bug lights are so much cooler when bugs run into >them, >neh? 'Course, no one has been electri-fried by touching one of the >Johns >. . . at least, I don't THINK anyone has . . . ummm, shivers of pure excitement rose up my spine, when I got my first Flansie autograph, is that close enough? :P Mysterio Gal (completely out to lunch in squaresville) Rule #666 Always speak in CAPITAL letters, DON'T send letters to the state CAPITAL MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 > Jim, Jim, Jim of the Jungle > > > "Don't go towards the light!" > "I can't help it . . . it's so beautiful . . . *BZAP* ARGH!" > -A Bug's Life > > ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 19:08:35 -0500 Subject: Non TMBG: Too many Santas Message-ID: <19981209.201525.-139333.3.gray42@juno.com> From: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) On Tue, 8 Dec 1998 23:46:10 -0800 (PST) Nicole Carlson writes: >On Tue, 8 Dec 1998 owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org wrote: >> band(s) to bring in for the spring concert that we always have. You >see, >> in the past, we've had good bands sometimes, like Morphine or (back >in 93, >> I believe) TMBG, but lately we've had crap, with bands like Stir, >the >> Samples, and so on (although getting the Scofflaws once, and getting >De La >> Soul a different time...now that ruled). So anyway, the survey, >> apparently showing what bands the campus really likes, resulted in >three >> bands being requested. G. Love and Special Sauce, the Violent >Femmes, and >> TMBG. Weird. I should have more faith in my campus... >Ok, ok, it's old. I'm sorry. To make up for it, I humbly propose >some >songs by The Bobs, whose Christmas album (Too Many Santas!) is, IMHO, >their strongest. (I've only heard two, maybe 2 1/2 others, but I >didn't >much like them) hmeheh, I just had to point out that this reminds me of that French movie "The City Of Lost Children :) Love that movie >--nicole the wonder nerd > >o/~It's not my birthday, it's not today...o/~ >oh, wait... wrong song. *blush* Finally, I can retire the fake ID. Happy belated b-day :P So your 21 then? I'm guessing that since 18 seems a luttle young for your typing personality. Mysterio Gal (completely out to lunch in squaresville) Rule #666 Always speak in CAPITAL letters, DON'T send letters to the state CAPITAL MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 20:34:11 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Anyone out there still like Flood? Flood ain't my favorite album, fer sure... That's a tie between FS and A18... Statue is the single rockinest TMBG song *ever.* Sensurround is a distant second, with NYC, Till My Head Falls Off, and STD Dr. Worm finishing it out... these would be the songs to hop in the car and drive and drive and drive to... ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19981209204938.006a7bf4@goshen.edu> Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 20:49:38 -0500 From: "Amanda Heggen" Subject: Re: Non TMBG: Too many Santas >> (Too Many Santas!) is, IMHO, >>their strongest. (I've only heard two, maybe 2 1/2 others, but I >hmeheh, I just had to point out that this reminds me of that French movie >"The City Of Lost Children :) Love that movie > That is THE best movie ever made. When I say that, I mean it's better than 'True Stories' and 'Brain Candy', which is saying a lot. Incredible movie. The most beautiful film ever made. ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 19:55:35 -0600 From: Jason Arnold Subject: Re: Non TMBG: Too many Santas That is a beautiful movie At 7:49 PM -0600 12/9/98, Amanda Heggen wrote: >>> (Too Many Santas!) is, IMHO, >>>their strongest. (I've only heard two, maybe 2 1/2 others, but I > >>hmeheh, I just had to point out that this reminds me of that French movie >>"The City Of Lost Children :) Love that movie >> >That is THE best movie ever made. When I say that, I mean it's better than >'True Stories' and 'Brain Candy', which is saying a lot. Incredible movie. > The most beautiful film ever made. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 20:16:50 -0600 (CST) From: rogers@AC.GRIN.EDU Subject: Re: Non TMBG: Too many Santas Message-id: 'Tis a fine movie, but in my opinion, Schizopolis is the best movie ever made. It will copulate with your mind. --Jamal On Wed, 9 Dec 1998, Amanda Heggen wrote: > > > >> (Too Many Santas!) is, IMHO, > >>their strongest. (I've only heard two, maybe 2 1/2 others, but I > > >hmeheh, I just had to point out that this reminds me of that French movie > >"The City Of Lost Children :) Love that movie > > > That is THE best movie ever made. When I say that, I mean it's better than > 'True Stories' and 'Brain Candy', which is saying a lot. Incredible movie. > The most beautiful film ever made. > > ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: oh no Message-ID: <19981209.213842.4663.2.sailormorningstar@juno.com> From: sailormorningstar@juno.com (Karyn M Linnell!) Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 21:41:46 EST Hello Everyone! Im sorry...but this is not TMBG related what so ever... For my email service I have Juno...which good....(heck its free!) But...if a message is too large I cant recieve it. So I was wondering if ...any of you with digest...could split it into 2 parts and send me the last post... It was 13-8.... i believe! THANKS A LOT!!!!!!!!!!!!! -Karen aka Celeste :P "Living Is Easy With Eyes Closed, Mis-Understanding All You See." -John Lennon....another fab John L! "I don't want the world, I just want your half." -From 'Ana Ng' ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 22:31:32 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Anyone out there still like Flood? Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 9-Dec-98 Re: TMBG: Anyone out there .. by Eric C Near@MARSHALL.EDU > I have to admit I'm a Floodie. It is how I started liking TMBG like you. > But then I got John Henry and it blew me away. I hated Factory Showroom > and I like Severe Tire Damage. actually, I think the definition of Floodie is something to the effect of a person whose only They Might Be Giants possession is Flood, and who claims to be a "big fan." Also characteristic of Floodies is that they don't realize Flood was, in fact, TMBG's *third* album, and not their first, and that the others are also quite good. I got started on Flood, too... (well, and Apollo 18 at the same time - someone loaned me a tape with Flood on one side and A18 on the other) I had remembered hearing Istanbul, Dead, and Particle Man (not sure why I forgot about Your Racist Friend) on the school bus my freshman year of high school (Fall, 1991) and thinking they were pretty cool. Unfortunately, I was certain I'd be very embarassed if I asked someone, expecting the response "You mean you haven't heard of TMBG? What a loser!" I could have had 3 more whole years of being a fan... Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "You keep handing out horseshoes * This space inadvertently Horseshoes have gotta be tossed." -Moxy Fruvous * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 22:39:06 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Mrs. Train Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 9-Dec-98 Re: TMBG: Mrs. Train by Me@yahoo.com > Woohoo! I'd love to hear John say "Park your car by the bar at > Harvard Yard" in that voice. Not to mention that "Standing in my yard > where they tore down the garage to make room for the torn-down garage" > is one of the greatest lines he's ever written. The surreal ending is > just awesome. I actually once heard him sing Older in that accent... "Yah oldah than you've evah been and now yah even oldah..." He also uses it occasionally in The End of the Tour and Destination Moon (on the rare occasions when they play those) Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "You keep handing out horseshoes * This space inadvertently Horseshoes have gotta be tossed." -Moxy Fruvous * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 23:03:10 -0500 (EST) From: Kevin Keeler Subject: Re: TMBG: fl00dies Message-ID: this just struck me..the whole "floodie" thing coming up again. n i guess by definition i am a floodie--thats the first tmbg album i ever heard and spurred me to buy more. see..my sister ordered it from BMG or somethig to fulfill her "12 FREE" deal..and i stole it from her. originally my favorite song was someone keeps moving my chair (or mr. horrible as *everyone* has inadvertantly called it at least once). particle man grated me to no end (birdhouse did and still does rock it, however). so within a month i dug the whole album start to finish and looked for more. i owned 4 albums before i even met a single person who had heard of them. didnt take me long to buy em all/.. so i guess my point is that, yes, by my best guess i would do it all over agian. unless maybe the first album i heard was john henry. that one proly couldnt do it for me alone (unles i only heard certain songs). and my other point is not all "floodies" are equal. some just coincidentally heard that album first (and a fucking stellar album it is, mind you). and my third point is i havent played with the tmbglist in awhile and my fourth is i tried to listen to the rev's radio show....and it was someone else! i was pissed. all done now.. --kevin [with ego as his drunken captain] On Tue, 8 Dec 1998 tmbgirl@juno.com wrote: > >>just makes me wonder if all of us would still like TMBG if they hit > >it big again. > > > >Speaking from how I fell about them now: yes. But if I had no idea of > >who they were, other than some over-glorified, just like every other > >band out there kinda band, then I don't think I would have even given > >them a chance. And that would be a shame. > > okie... how bouts all the floodies out there? you think you'd do it all > over again? > > take it easy, JOrdaN > http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html > > ___________________________________________________________________ > You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. > Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html > or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <006f01be23f3$6baa4aa0$54276520@oemcomputer> From: "kelspots" Subject: Re: TMBG: bullsh*t Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 23:12:10 -0500 >> just makes me wonder if all of us would still like TMBG if they hit it >> big again. > >well, it depends... if they made a great song that became popular, no >problem... if they made something that was totally not their style or >any style they had ever come close to, and it became popular, we'd have >another situation like in 1990 - people would like one song but be >turned off by the other stuff But by now, TMBG has recorded at least one song in pretty much every style out there... And while we're on it, I happened to *like* One Week...and yes, I was a BNL fan before listening to Stunt. I'm glad they're finally getting the recognition they deserve. Amy :) ------------------------------ From: wagner@mindspring.com Message-ID: <000201be23f5$2b643620$65f445cf@computer> Subject: Re: TMBG: Anyone out there still like Flood? Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 19:30:24 -0500 >>anyways I was in 8th grade..didn't ahve a lot of money, and it >>was the >>first cd I ever owned. > >hahaa! think if they still did stump the band and they had to ask you!! >that would be amusing. what is stump the band? david. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 00:22:32 -0500 From: Sarah Subject: NON TMBG: WhoWhere? Message-id: <366F5A97.6734@wmich.edu> Hey Everybody. I don't want to be a bug... no pun intended (josh) but I was just curious as to where everyone is from and such. I'm from wonderful swampy Michigan myself and I am a sophomore at Western Michigan University. So how 'bout yerselves? ~Sarah *I'm your only friend, I'm not your only friend. But I'm a little glowing friend, but really I'm not actually your friend. But I am* >>>Visit my homepage!<<< http://www.angelfire.com/me/momerath >>>Don't Forget to Sign my Guestbook!<<< ------------------------------ Message-ID: <366F5C14.69770613@calpoly.edu> Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 21:28:52 -0800 From: Phil Mettler Subject: Re: NON TMBG: WhoWhere? I, for one, am a architecture major at CalPoly, San Luis Obispo, in Sunny California. You know, the Giants rarely get over to this coast, and it irritates me to no end. You easties really don't know how very luck you are. Phil "Say I'M the only bee in your bonnet" - They Might Be Giants --== Support your local Indie Label ==-- sarah.hurd@wmich.edu wrote: > > Hey Everybody. I don't want to be a bug... no pun intended (josh) but I > was just curious as to where everyone is from and such. I'm from > wonderful swampy Michigan myself and I am a sophomore at Western > Michigan University. > So how 'bout yerselves? > > ~Sarah > > *I'm your only friend, I'm not your only friend. But I'm a little > glowing friend, but really I'm not actually your friend. But I am* > > >>>Visit my homepage!<<< > http://www.angelfire.com/me/momerath > >>>Don't Forget to Sign my Guestbook!<<< ------------------------------ Message-Id: <10DEC98.02106557.0024.MUSIC@MARISTB.MARIST.EDU> Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 01:57:01 EST From: Misty Subject: Re: TMBG: Anyone out there still like Flood? I'm just going to jump on the bandwagon and say that Flood was my first TMBG album too. I was introduced to the band (as was many people on this list, I suspect) via the episode of "Tiny Toons." I loved Istanbul and Particle Man, but I assumed They were just an obscure band from the '60s as that was most of the type of music featured on the show. Then, a few years later, I saw the tape in a CD store. To make a long story short, I listened to it so much that I essentially wore the tape out. Then, in my sophomore year of high school, I came into a CD player and Flood became my first CD (it was actually my sister's but she didn't like it so it became mine--well, I took it). Anyway, I still love Flood a lot, but not quite as much as their other albums. My least favorite (though I still listen to it a lot, as some songs on it rock) is John Henry, because it just doesn't fit in with their style. It seems like they're trying too hard to be a "modern" "rock" band. Factory Showroom's a big improvement, though SEXXY and XTC vs. Adam Ant I can do without. And only 13 songs? Misty ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001701be2414$b62e8340$5a228a81@refund.rcn.nmt.edu> From: "Refund" Subject: TMBG: Where and such... Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 01:11:37 -0700 I, myself, am from the wonderfully dull state of New Mexico. Don't get me wrong. I love the state, itself...but They never /ever/ come here. They even skipped right over this damned state on their last tour. Arizona - Colorado - Texas. No New Mexico. Ah well... I go to the New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology, in the wonderfully dull (sense a pattern here?) city of Socorro, where I major in Materials Engineering and Metallurgy. I was voted (by like...3 people) into office as the official Ambassador, for TMBG, to the state of New Mexico. Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the state of New Mexico. The effect? I'll tell you what the effect is! It's pissing me off! Ghostbusters, the Movie. P.S. Visit www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Amphitheatre/5550/ The first Julie Plug tribute page in HISTORY!!! :0) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <366F82A4.BB50C1D4@cnr.edu> Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 03:13:24 -0500 From: "Sarah Starr" Subject: Re: NON TMBG: WhoWhere? > Hey Everybody. I don't want to be a bug... no pun intended (josh) but I > was just curious as to where everyone is from and such. I'm from > wonderful swampy Michigan myself and I am a sophomore at Western > Michigan University. > So how 'bout yerselves? I am a sophomore English major with a psychology and theatre double minor at the College of New Rochelle in New Rochelle, NY. I hail originally from Torrington, CT, and I am transferring next year to SCSU which is in New Haven, CT. sarah faye darkness inside ------------------------------ From: Gweeg@aol.com Message-ID: <2e0511f0.366f86ba@aol.com> Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 03:30:50 EST Subject: TMBG: Factory Showroom YAY!!! Zippie Da Doo!! Factory Showroom is by FAR my favorite tmbg cd. I wanna know who else feels the same way!!! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <366FBAE4.920C2575@softhome.net> Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 04:13:24 -0800 From: Ian Wolfe Subject: Re: NON TMBG: WhoWhere? Hi. I am from wonderfulicious Lancaster, Ohio. Home of General William T. Sherman and comedian Soupy Sales. VIVA LA IAN Sarah wrote: > Hey Everybody. I don't want to be a bug... no pun intended (josh) but I > was just curious as to where everyone is from and such. I'm from > wonderful swampy Michigan myself and I am a sophomore at Western > Michigan University. > So how 'bout yerselves? > > ~Sarah > > *I'm your only friend, I'm not your only friend. But I'm a little > glowing friend, but really I'm not actually your friend. But I am* > > >>>Visit my homepage!<<< > http://www.angelfire.com/me/momerath > >>>Don't Forget to Sign my Guestbook!<<< ------------------------------ From: "Leon X. Deggs" Subject: TMBG: Math(ematics) for all Message-Id: <913289266.23051.684@excite.com> Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 03:27:46 PST Hello. One (no longer) virgin poster. Sarah claimed to have written a math [sic] paper about TMBG stuff. I felt inclined to read it. And then felt inclined to admit I'd enjoyed it. But for me, there was perhaps too much band reference at the beginning, but not everyone can know about the TMBG thing. Well written, carefully compiled and full of intelligent comments and smart links to actual TMBG text. Sarah - a winner. Everyone should read and enjoy. Especially the interpretation of 'Till my head falls off'. First rate. Keep up the good math [sic]. L. _____________ Leon X. Deggs _______________________________________________________ Get your free, private e-mail at http://mail.excite.com/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 09:34:10 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: NON TMBG: WhoWhere? Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 10-Dec-98 NON TMBG: WhoWhere? by Sarah@wmich.edu > Hey Everybody. I don't want to be a bug... no pun intended (josh) but I > was just curious as to where everyone is from and such. I'm from > wonderful swampy Michigan myself and I am a sophomore at Western > Michigan University. > So how 'bout yerselves? Well, this year I'm a senior at Carnegie Mellon... next year, if I'm lucky, I'll have a job somewhere in the Pittsburgh area. if I'm not lucky, I'll be a senior at Carnegie Mellon..... :) (for those on the list in high school and looking at colleges - if you like computer science or engineering, consider CMU - it's good for those, *and* it's 6 hours or less driving from Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, Detroit/Ann Arbor, DC, Philadelphia, New York, Buffalo, Rochester, and Toronto. What does this mean? road trips! and TMBG even occasionally come directly to Pittsburgh so you don't have to go elsewhere...) Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "You keep handing out horseshoes * This space inadvertently Horseshoes have gotta be tossed." -Moxy Fruvous * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 07:47:41 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: Anyone out there still like Flood? Message-ID: <19981210.075030.17318.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> oh geez... isn't this in the FAQ somewhere? perhaps it should go in there: >what is stump the band? Stump the band is a game that TMBG played on the 1994 tour where I think it began with people just generally yelling out what they wanted to hear the band cover (so obviously the john's got sick fo hearing "free bird" or "YMCA" etc) and then progressed into where they would ask either an audience member or a security guard what the first album they ever owned was and then they'd play a song off it. I believe the last time it's been recorded that they played STB was 1/2/97 (aw yeah D-town!) where they covered Alice Cooper's "School's Out." They also played "spin the dial" where they would bring out a radio and spin the dial until they found a groovy song and would start playing and singing along with it. anyways, these are all compiled on two tapes "Stumpbox" which any bootleg trader would be willing to dub for you less fortunate kiddies... we were working on stumpbox 3 but heh... the fine US postal service ate it up :( take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html 12/11 Harvey Danger, Soul Coughing, Cherry Poppin Daddies, and Love & Rockets :) (free concerts are the best) ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: "Stephen Shores" Subject: TMBG: Flood opinions and musical associations Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 10:33:15 -0500 Message-Id: <19981210104747.f6bffefc8ddc11d2af630000b4839961.in@mail.orthotrac.com> Hey, I thought about what you guys said about Flood- I was thinking and it's probably that I'mjust tired of it. It was the first TMBG album I had and I think I overlistened to it... I'm listening to it right now. Bag of Groceries really annoys me, still, though- I think it would've better fit at the end of the album where the other songs I don't like are (Road Movie To Berlin, Sapphire Bullets.) :) On another note, does anyone have mental associations between a song and a book or movie that they were watching around the same time? For example, We Want A Rock reminds me of the movie Akira, which I was watching around that time (anyone who's seen it will remember the scene where the twin's toys go crazy- "throw the crib door wide, let the people crawl inside".) OK, nobody look at me weird, memories are strange things... And then there's the association I have between DC Talk's "Jesus Freak" album and Leonard Nimoy's bigraphy- I was reading/listening to them at the same time! Anyone else notice this? Stephen ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981210163232.26612.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Mrs. Train Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 08:32:30 PST Misty wrote: >I was listening to an MP3 of Mrs. Train earlier, and I just thought I'd >throw this question out there: Do you think Mrs. Train should have been >included on John Henry, and not just as a b-side? I think it should have >and that it maybe should have replaced Window in the rotation. "Back to >Skull"'s other great b-side, the alternate Hotel Detective, also, IMO, >should have been placed on John Henry in place of Self Called Nowhere. >I don't like Self Called Nowhere all that much. Anyone else feel this >way? No, I don't feel like "Window" and "A Self Called Nowhere" should have been replaced. "Nowhere" is one of my favourite songs on JH, and, although "Window" isn't all that great in and of itself, it fits into the album sequence quite well. Claire V Gray wrote: >But I totally agree those 2 b sides would be better on a (easy >to get) full length album. On the other hand, John and John probably >felt that Mrs. Train's lightness would clash with such a dark album, who >knows? Perhaps, although I'm not sure that I'd consider all that talk about missing heads to be "light." Lawrence P Solomon wrote: >I don't think Mrs. Train would make a very good album track... it's kind >of a novelty song... it's kind of silly, has that speed up thing going >on... Well, "I Can Hear You" is also somewhat of a novelty, and it's an album track. >or, if you don't like that argument... where do you put it on an album? >Generally speaking, an album has a fairly contiguous feel to it - the >songs don't necessarily have to flow, but there should be some sense of >continuity. The way Mrs. Train starts out could make it nothing but a >starting track, maybe... the nice thing about EPs is that it doesn't >really matter where things appear... I can see your point. The unfortunate thing is that EP's go out of print so quickly. I don't really see why a song should be given such a limited time on the market just because it doesn't fit into an album sequence. Of course, _Superfueled Freaksicle_ would solve this problem, but it doesn't look like we'll be getting that any time soon. -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981210165033.21242.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: NON TMBG: WhoWhere? Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 08:50:33 PST Phil Mettler wrote: >I, for one, am a architecture major at CalPoly, San Luis Obispo, in >Sunny California. That's where Weird Al went to school, y'know. (He was a architecture major, too, for that matter.) Are there any shrines to him there, or maybe an Alfred M. Yankovic Hall? Anyway, I live in Pennsylvania. I usually live in the southeast, about 30 miles west of Philadelphia, but I am currently attending college at Indiana University of Pennsylvania, which is in the general vicinity of Pittsburgh. -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981210165858.23752.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Ditch the Band? (was Re: TMBG: Anyone out there still like Flood?) Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 08:58:58 PST Kaylum wrote: >It's interesting that you mention how the full band sound >of JH is an improvement since there is currently a thread on the >newsgroup >about whether or not they should ditch the band (I don't think so). Are you talking about the particular band with which the Johns are currently playing (which, IIRC, is made up primarily of Dans and Jims), or just guest musicians in general? The back-up band for TMBG is hardly a static group. Anyway, I think that the arrangement used for _Factory Showroom_ is probably the best: using a full band for some songs, and fairly minimal instrumentation for others. -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981210170430.5386.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom YAY!!! Zippie Da Doo!! Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 09:04:30 PST Gweeg wrote: >Factory Showroom is by FAR my favorite tmbg cd. I wanna know who >else feels >the same way!!! I don't. Sure, FS contains some excellent songs. Overall, though, it's not that great an album. I suppose that my major reason for thinking this is the low number of songs. A dud stands out much better when it is essentially one-thirteenth of the album than when it is only about one-twentieth of the album. Also, the mix of songs on FS is somewhat haphazard. This is good in a way, because it allows for variety, but it means that the album doesn't work all that well as a whole. -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <680921fe.366ff800@aol.com> Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 11:34:08 EST Subject: Re: NON TMBG: WhoWhere? In a message dated 12/10/98 12:26:10 AM, sarah.hurd@wmich.edu writes: >Hey Everybody. I don't want to be a bug... no pun intended (josh) but I >was just curious as to where everyone is from and such. I'm from >wonderful swampy Michigan myself and I am a sophomore at Western >Michigan University. >So how 'bout yerselves? > i'm in rochester ny. there's 3 of us here on the list from here.. and tmbg are due back. sarah ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19981210124711.0090e7b0@EMail.Psu.Edu> Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 12:47:11 -0500 From: Jason Fickley Subject: TMBG: CPICN I know I've harped on this before, but whether it be on an album or an ep of some sort, TMBG needs to "officially" release Certain People I Could Name, for my sake :) I've listened to the mp3 countless times, but I don't have my own computer up here at school, so I can only listen to it at home over breaks. Not only would it benefit me personally to have it on cd, but I personally think that it would make an outstanding album track. I guess the point of this post (I was beginning to wonder if there was one) is; Factory Showroom only had 13 songs, CPICN was recorded, why didn't it make it onto the album? I realize they might not have been happy with how it turned out, but as it is it's at least as good as most of the other songs on FS...any thoughts/disagreements? --Jason-- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19981210132039.006bd200@goshen.edu> Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 13:20:39 -0500 From: "Amanda Heggen" Subject: TMBG: Re: who/where I'm a Sophomore at Goshen College, a dinky little school in Indiana. I'm originally from Albuquerque, NM. Even though TMBG had about four shows within a couple of hours of here this fall, I still haven't seen them (and I've tried since sixth grade); no transportation. I saw someone else whose a English major, Psych and Theater minor ~ I'm a Psych major, English and Theater minor. When I graduate, I want to do nothing with my degrees, and just do claymation for the rest of my life. If anyone has any claymation connections, let me know! -Amanda ------------------------------ Message-ID: <367013D4.A72E2193@calpoly.edu> Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 10:32:52 -0800 From: Phil Mettler Subject: Re: NON TMBG: WhoWhere? Not really any official shrines, but in the Campus Radio station (where he used to work), they have a little display of him, and a few posters. Also, he recorded his first song in the bathroom accross the hall from the broadcast booth (I forget which one...He just liked the acoustics) and he signed the wall there later, which is still there. Other than that, no. xornom@hotmail.com wrote: > > Phil Mettler wrote: > >I, for one, am a architecture major at CalPoly, San Luis Obispo, in > >Sunny California. > > That's where Weird Al went to school, y'know. (He was a architecture > major, too, for that matter.) Are there any shrines to him there, or > maybe an Alfred M. Yankovic Hall? > > Anyway, I live in Pennsylvania. I usually live in the southeast, about > 30 miles west of Philadelphia, but I am currently attending college at > Indiana University of Pennsylvania, which is in the general vicinity of > Pittsburgh. > -- > May you live in interesting times, > Nathan > DinnerBell@tmbg.org > http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ > > ______________________________________________________ > Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com -- "Say I'M the only bee in your bonnet" - They Might Be Giants --== Support Your Local Indie Lable ==-- ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 11:39:10 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: CPICN Message-ID: <19981210.113914.19694.3.TMBgirl@juno.com> >Factory Showroom only had 13 songs, CPICN was recorded, why didn't it >make >it onto the album? I realize they might not have been happy with how >it >turned out, but as it is it's at least as good as most of the other >songs >on FS...any thoughts/disagreements? i think this fits in perfectly with the why isn't Mrs. Train on JH. Because they just don't fit with the rest of the album, i highly doubt that they were "dissapointed" with the way it turned out. I love Certain People... in fact it's one of my favorite TMBG songs. I'm hoping that they'll do something groovy with it like they did to They Got Lost (from it's FS sessions version to the STD version). Ah well... here's to hoping :) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html 12/11 KTCL's "Not So Silent Night" :) ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 11:34:22 -0700 Subject: Re: NON TMBG: WhoWhere? Message-ID: <19981210.113424.19694.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> >>Hey Everybody. I don't want to be a bug... no pun intended (josh) but >I >>was just curious as to where everyone is from and such. I'm from >>wonderful swampy Michigan myself and I am a sophomore at Western >>Michigan University. >>So how 'bout yerselves? wasn't someone out there planning on making a map of the locations of all the listies? ah well... typical of the list (omlt's map's) I, myself, am in the fine city of Denver, CO (i beleive the only other CO list members are Russ & Tara and none of us were every officially deemed the TMBG ambassador of CO). Most people (77%) are not be able to locate denver on a map of the US unless asked where the broncos reside... and even so 43% of all people asked to do this pointed to a city in wyoming or utah. want a bit of colorado trivia? John Elway hands out Denver Broncos pencils every year at halloween... you walk like 3 miles just to get to his door (cuz his property is freekin big out there in cherry hills village) and then he gives you a pencil... what a gank. When i was in NYC i noticed just a few diferences... #1 the number of taxis on the streets in NYC is roughly equal to the number of SUV (sport utility vehicles) on the roads in Colorado. #2 There is no such thing as traffic in Colorado, there is no such thing as grass in NYC #3 The number of Starbucks in NYC is roughly equal to the number of parks in denver. (one about every three blocks) ah well, that's enough of that... my favorite question of the entire trip, "oh, you live in colorado? how many horses do you own?" take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html 12/11 Harvey Danger, Cherry poppin Daddies, Soul Coughing, and Love & Rockets! :P ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: <816c1511.36702006@aol.com> Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 14:24:54 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Anyone out there still like Flood? In a message dated 98-12-10 09:57:10 EST, tmbgirl@juno.com writes: > anyways, these are all compiled on two tapes "Stumpbox" which any > bootleg trader would be willing to dub for you less fortunate kiddies... > we were working on stumpbox 3 but heh... the fine US postal service ate > it up :( WAAAAH! I wannit! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <10DEC98.16469661.0110.MUSIC@MARISTB.MARIST.EDU> Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 15:14:58 EST From: Misty Subject: Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom YAY!!! Zippie Da Doo!! >Factory Showroom is by FAR my favorite tmbg cd. I wanna know who else feels >the same way!!! Well, FS is one of those albums that had to grow on me. I remember I bought it on a school night, and I listened to a lot of it and then went to bed. The next day I told this guy I knew (who used to be a TMBG fan, until they "sold out") that the CD only had 13 songs, and of the songs the best one was actually one that they had originally recorded years ago. I of course meant "James K. Polk". Then, I listened to more of the album, actually in order, and it grew on me. (Although it took me a while to actually build up the guts to listen to all of "XTC vs. Adam Ant," without pushing the NEXT button mid-way. It's no secret that's my least favorite song on the album.) While "Polk" is still one of my favorites (it taught me more about his life than a history class prob- ably could), I now have others. "Till My Head Falls Off" was the second song to win me over. Now I think my favorite song on the CD is "Spiralling Shape," because, for me anyway, it's just such a powerful anti-drug song. It's really well done. I also love "The Bells Are Ringing" (although when my brother first heard it he thought it was Their Christmas song, too; I guess you just can't have bells on a song without it being a Christmas song), and I'd say it's a close second (along with "Polk") to "Spiralling Shape" for my favorite song.And a lot of other songs on the CD I like too. This doesn't mean that FS doesn't have its weak points. Having only 13 songs does really stink. If there had maybe been a downward trend, it would have been easier to swallow. But John Henry had 20 songs. When I saw the 13 I was afraid that TMBG really had "sold out," as that's the standard number of songs on a CD for most other bands. Like someone (sorry, don't remember who) mentioned, a bad song really sticks out more when there's only 13 songs to begin with. Aside from "XTC," I don't really like "Pet Name" a lot (although lately it has been growing on me) and "SEXXY" is so much not in TMBG's usual style. Imagine my reaction when, after hearing for a while how TMBG "sold out," seeing their new CD has only 13 songs, the first song I heard was "SEXXY".NOOOO!!!! I also don't care for "I Can Hear You" all that much. I don't dislike it as much as I'm just annoyed that it took up a whole track. It was really EP material, and shouldn't have been on a full album. So, if any of you are still reading this (yes, I know I can ramble), FS is not my favorite album (I don't really know if I have one) but I still love it. It just had to grow on me. Misty ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 15:24:25 -0500 Subject: Re: NON TMBG: WhoWhere? Message-ID: <19981210.154715.-200855.1.gray42@juno.com> From: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) Hey there, I'm from Venice, Florida and one day will buy my own road, name it Mysterio Lane, and will live there in a motion detector controlled, rotating house :) Mysterio Gal (completely out to lunch in squaresville) Rule #666 Always speak in CAPITAL letters, DON'T send letters to the state CAPITAL MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 15:40:55 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Flood opinions and musical associations Message-ID: <19981210.154715.-200855.2.gray42@juno.com> From: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) > On another note, does anyone have mental associations between >a song and a >book or movie that they were watching around the same time? Wheee, you've asked the PERFECT question :D Ummm, I've always associated Mr. Me with an image of Zaphod on his presidential speed boat (on Damogran) and he's being hit with great splashes of salty sea water. Sorta like the cheesy variety show ocean skits (buckets o' water) Back when I was obsessed with Jurassic Park, around the same time I started listening to TMBG, I had a MAD magaxine with a Jurass-Has-Had-It Park movie spoof. Well I'm guessing everyone knows how each movie character in those spoofs are introduced before the story begins. Well I'd stare at the funny characatures of Jeff Goldblume, Lara Dern, and all the others, and I woul imagine the pictures singing these crazy songs that were contained on the Pink album. Keep in mind that i did not know a single thing about John or John at the time, and had to associate some sort of picture with their voices. Nee Hee Hee Hee Mysterio Gal (completely out to lunch in squaresville) Rule #666 Always speak in CAPITAL letters, DON'T send letters to the state CAPITAL MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981210212608.14458.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Todd Wetherbee" Subject: Re: TMBG: Anyone out there still like Flood? Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 13:26:05 PST >My least favorite (though I still listen to it a lot, as some >songs on it rock) is John Henry, because it just doesn't fit in with >their style. It seems like they're trying too hard to be a "modern" >"rock" band. Factory Showroom's a big improvement, though SEXXY and >XTC vs. Adam Ant I can do without. And only 13 songs? > >Misty > One thing that we need to think about here is that when a band is around for, what, 15 years, they're not gonna retain exactly the same style for the whole time. I think of it this way: they still retain a great deal of their unique 'TMBGness' while continuing to be influenced by more and more different types of music, and exploring those various styles. That's how the experience stays fresh for them even after 15 years. I dig JH and FS (and STD for that matter). They flat out rock. (Although i hate to pick favorites, JH is probably my *current* favorite) And every concert I've been to seems to JAM even more than the last one. Musically, they just keep improving without losing their inherent TBMGness. I can't wait to see what they do from here. I'd love to see one 60 minute set that consists of nothing but Dr. Worm. Farside ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: CPatubo@mindscape.com Message-ID: <882566D6.007885C1.00@nvtomta.mindscape.com> Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 13:56:55 -0800 Subject: Re: NON TMBG: WhoWhere? Hey Everybody. I don't want to be a bug... no pun intended (josh) but I was just curious as to where everyone is from and such. I'm from wonderful swampy Michigan myself and I am a sophomore at Western Michigan University. So how 'bout yerselves? Me, well, I'm from Lafayette, CA (San Francisco Bay Area) and attend the Academy of Art College in San Francisco, majoring in Motion Pictures. I also work at Mindscape Software (recently merged with Broderbund) in Novato,which is a good 45-60 minutes commute, ergh. Typical quote *I* hear from peeps when I travel -- "So, do you not eat sourdough bread all the time?" "Do you have any gay friends?" But oh well, there's the facts. -courtney ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 17:38:20 -0600 From: "Fliggta, hatta ratta, actipernastiftifichy" Subject: TMBG: hey all you mp3 people Message-id: <36705B6C.51628A54@slu.edu> Organization: Listning to TMBG Inc. Are there any of you mp3 collectors out there that have all 5 kit-kat acoustic break tmbg songs? I have four of them and i think the one i need is Polk. If you have it please Email me, i have lots to trade! -tim ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 17:59:06 -0600 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <74pmic$7tb$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: vote for Flans in Time Poll, and cheat! http://hybrid.advance.net/supercheat/index.shtml <--- vote for John Flansburgh for Time Magazine's Man of the Century Poll, and cheat! Okay, some of you may not agree to cheating, but the Jesus voters are doing it, and if it's good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for John. This link really works, all you have to do is leave the window open, and it repeatedly votes for John automatically! Leave it on all night, tell your friends and have them leave it on all night as John needs all the help we can give. Currently, he's behind the Prophet Mohammed, but not by much, then next up is Ric Flair! Topple Rick Flair, and it's Jesus, Hitler, and John in the top three! i'm not excectly sure why we're doing this, but we got John Linnel of the #9 most beutiful person of the year ( http://www.pathfinder.com/people/50most/1998/winners/9linnell.html ) and since were are, we gotta go for the Gold. Flansburgh for the Man of the Century! -Jay ------------------------------ From: Igraine81@aol.com Message-ID: <3a079428.367058b8@aol.com> Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 18:26:48 EST Subject: NON-TMBG:Edward Gorey Alright, I just bought my first Edward Gorey book this weekend called The Epiplectic Bicycle. I thought it was the funniest thing that I've ever read. I then proceded to purchase the following books by Mr. Gorey, The Gashleycrumb Tinies, and The Doubtful Guest. I was just wondering if any of the listees here were Edward Gorey fans, all of his books are just so Morbidly funny, I dont know, it just seemed like something that TMBG followers would be into. Alright, F.Y.I. Lisa not cool enough for her own quote ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981210222229.7280.rocketmail@send203.yahoomail.com> Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 14:22:29 -0800 (PST) From: Justin Tittelfitz Subject: TMBG: josh & bnl & stumpbox who was josh, and does he still post? will someone please give me the address of his webpage? also, in regards to bnl, one week is not a sellout song (if you don't like it because it is a sellout, rather than just not liking it). a sellout song implies something very simply formed, with extreme repetition and little musical depth; in short, something the radio listener can easily handle. but the lyrics to one week, if not the music, are complex and built on many layers. i defy any other band to come out with a song which can rival that for lyrics of that style (the only examples i can presently think of are rem's "end of the world..." and billy joel's "we didn't start the fire") also, can anyone arrange to mail me the stumpbox tapes? i will, of course, pay for postage and tapes. (or even better, on a recordable cd) thanks- justin tittelfitz _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 19:04:54 -0500 Subject: NON TMBG: WhoWhere? Message-ID: <19981210.190531.4222.0.Superman75@juno.com> From: superman75@juno.com (Adam Schaaf) hi. i reside in new jeresy (moorestown, next too cherry hill), however, since to go school and spend most of my time there, i consider myself a resident of philadelphia, pa. i go to university of the arts. it's an awful, awful school. the administration does nothing to make the experience comfortable for its students or the people who pay for it. however, i've met a LOT of people who are big TMBG fans. none on the list though. your underking of pop trivia, adam schaaf * ------------------------------------------ Philly Tour Dates Dec. 12 - The Bouncing Souls Dec. 18 - The John Spencer Blues Explosion Dec. 27 - Dream Theater * ------------------------------------------ ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Batbrain99@aol.com Message-ID: <99610da9.367068d5@aol.com> Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 19:35:33 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Anyone out there still like Flood? I happen to like Flood still. Flood is what got me hooked as well (I'm assuming that goes for most everybody?) Sure, I've expanded my collection of TMBG albums (my personal fave is Factory Showroom. I happen to like the loud wild guitar though i know others disagree) but Flood is still a decent album. It's kind of kooky, kind of iffy, almost questionable, but it still lives on. Sometimes when I think of playing Flood it's like, God, not that again! But once it's playin I'm singin away. And ya gotta love the intro! Flood is like something you'd play on a family vacation. Make it a tradition. ~Batbrain * ------------------------------------------------------------------ "Now it's over, I'm dead and I haven't done anything that I want, or I'm still alive and there's nothin' I want to do" ~Flood! ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: <32ead551.36706d46@aol.com> Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 19:54:30 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Anyone out there still like Flood? In a message dated 12/9/98 5:15:12 PM Eastern Standard Time, tmbgirl@juno.com writes: << >anyways I was in 8th grade..didn't ahve a lot of money, and it >was the >first cd I ever owned. hahaa! think if they still did stump the band and they had to ask you!! that would be amusing. >> Hey! I knew of other songs...I just didn't own any of it.... -Amber the Transcendent Mistress of the known Cosmos, Empress for Eternity ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 19:33:57 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom YAY!!! Zippie Da Doo!! FS: Track by track: SEXXY: The most pimpin' song TMBG has, or ever will, have. Til My Head Falls Off: Instant party classic. How Can I sing Like A Girl? :Eh. SO so. EDGuy: Hhehe.... better done live. Metal Detector: Nifty stuff with the "metal detector" noise. NYC: My *favorite* on the album. Cute, and really romantic. XTC: I've gotten used to it. I like it better after STD>.. Spiralling Shape: A musical masterpiece. INCREDIBLE harmony. James K. Polk: Heh, what can I say? i *love* it. I Can Hear YOu: Neat, but I'd rather have SWAHD (97) Bells: Audio ORGASM. The harmony on that song is *mindblowing.* Listen to it on a *good* system, or with *good* headphones. WOW. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19981210202244.00879220@pop.cwru.edu> Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 20:22:44 -0500 From: Jeff Roberts Subject: Re: NON-TMBG:Edward Gorey In my homeroom senior year there was a poster of the Gashlycrumb Tinies on the wall. We all thought this was the most morbidly funny thing we'd ever seen and then didnt really think anything of it. In Washington DC I picked up a collection of a bunch of Edward Gorey stuff called the Amphigorey. Since then I've picked up the Amphigorey Too and the Amphigorey Also. The stuff in the first two books is pretty good and there's decent stuff in the last book. Definently something to check out if you like Edward Gorey. I've found that the pictures are as good or alot of the time better than the stories. I really like the dark Victorian look. Jeff "Now that's all I can think of, but I'm sure there's something else, Way down inside me I can feel it coming back." -They Might Be Giants Jeff Roberts President of Foolish Mortal Enterprises http://schlock.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: PLEASE READ! Message-ID: <19981210.201113.7527.4.sailormorningstar@juno.com> From: sailormorningstar@juno.com (Karyn M Linnell!) Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 20:14:19 EST I know that I posted this before...but can anyone who has the TMBG digest please send me a copy of the last two posts....No attachments...because I cant recieve them...(THANKS ANYWAY..to the people who did) Just take the two emails and split them into four emails...please...i hate it when I know that there is something for me to read and I cant....Juno is just being stupid and wont give me any emails that are over a certain size..err... THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH to anyone who does send me them. I would be ever grateful. And dont worry..I wont be bothering you guys with this anymore...Im unsubscribing from the digest, and am switching to the normal list.... -Karen aka Celeste :P "Living Is Easy With Eyes Closed, Mis-Understanding All You See." -John Lennon....another fab John L! "I don't want the world, I just want your half." -From 'Ana Ng' ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: <6e6e732e.36706a45@aol.com> Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 19:41:41 EST Subject: Re: NON TMBG: WhoWhere? Macon GA, (Mercer U) REPRESENT! Big hello to all who were at the TMBG show in ATL in October... (I was the dude in the Clerks T-shirt... and I *still* want a bootleg of that show! It's my GF's xmas present... well... *PART* of it....) ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 20:08:23 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Floodies In a message dated 12/9/98 9:24:01 PM Eastern Standard Time, gray42@juno.com writes: << when my big sis played it for me. In my depressed state of mind (middle school is hell) TMBG cheered me up greatly, and thus became a very important part of my life. >> Thats exactly what happened to me! Before I started liking them I was a pathetic little whiney middle schooler who had low self esteem..and after seeing that its ok to be different..by 11`th grade(this year), I'm one of the most strangest and happiest people in my school! Very cool. -Amber the Transcendent Mistress of the Known Cosmos, Empress for Eternity ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: <8a6dbc1d.367074e2@aol.com> Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 20:26:58 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: CPICN Yay! This is my all time favorite song of thiers. I'm trying ot learn to play it on guitar..I only have the guitar solo done. If anyone has the rest of it and wants to trade notes on the song..please please e-mail me! -Amber the Transcendent Mistress of the Known Cosmos, Empress for Eternity ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #13-11 ******************************