Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #13-13 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 13, Number 13 Sunday, 13 December 1998 Today's Topics: NON TMBG: GoodBye Re: TMBG: XTC vs. America TMBG: Time Poll Re: TMBG: Album covers Re: TMBG: Constellations and Mince Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom YAY!!! Zippie Da Doo!! Re: TMBG:Floodies Re: TMBG: Confus Re: TMBG: passing on the news Re: non TMBG: first album Marginally TMBG: a-ha!!! (was Re: TMBG: Constellations and Mince) TMBG: mostly non-tmbg: harvey danger and others show :) TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #13-12 TMBG: StumpBox TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #13-12 TMBG: Non-Tmbg: rotating house Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #13-12 Re: Marginally TMBG: a-ha!!! (was Re: TMBG: Constellations and Mince) Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #13-12 TMBG: translations + baby Linnell Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #13-12 Re: TMBG: XTC vs. America TMBG: Linnell babysitter Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #13-12 TMBG: I'm new Re: TMBG: Road Movie to Berlin TMBG: the ultimate flans vote Re: TMBG: translations + baby Linnell TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #13-12 TMBG: translations Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 17:26:43 -0500 From: Sarah Subject: NON TMBG: GoodBye Message-id: <36719C23.4A93@wmich.edu> Hi all. I'm just writing to wish everyone a happy x-mas and a merry new year (or something like that) I'll be off this list until next year.... Talk to you all then! ~Sarah *One song, GLORY, one song, before I go...* -- >>>Visit my homepage!<<< http://www.angelfire.com/me/momerath >>>Don't Forget to Sign my Guestbook!<<< ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <199812112304.SAA15494@justice.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: XTC vs. America Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 18:04:33 -0500 (EST) > So, people of this great country of yours [America], someone enlighten me as > to the problem with 'XTC vs. Adam Ant'. > > As far as I - a mere XTC fan of some MANY years - am concerned, this song is > Mr. J. F's tribute to two largely underrated and much forgotten bands. > Sure XTC are huge-ish in the US, but in the UK (their origin country and my > homeland) they are unheard of. TMBG were simply trying to combine two of the > most influential POP groups (cos Rock is an insult to either band - wake up) > into one song. > > Sure, I agree the song doesn't work all that well, but that comes from such > a difficult topic. The title alone had me spunking in me keks. > Sometimes these great songwriting geniues forget where they came from. > XTC and Adam Ant are obvious in Mr. F's tunes. For those with the trained > ear to listen. I'm not totally surprised to hear that XTC is not very big in the UK (although I wouldn't necessarily say huge-ish in the US, perhaps fairly big-ish among older modern rock fans). When Ive been in the UK I hadn't noticed much in regard to XTC, nor in such magazines as Q (a British music mag) and my girlfriend, who is British, hadn't really heard of XTC even though she's pretty in tune with modern rock/pop British music. I would say Robyn Hitchcock is another one of those forgotten Brits who perhaps had more success in the US. But their music is absolutely incredible and I'm hoping to hear more if they ever release a new album. I think the Content vs. Form lyric in XTC vs Adam Ant is fairly applicable as XTC isn't a showy band, but is full of musical content (greast musical talent) whereas Adam Ant seems to be more of the showman, always trying to be on Form. > > Buy some XTC (ANY album will do) or some Adam Ant (recommend earlier stuff > but NOT 'Dirk Wears White Sox') or both. And train yourselves to understand > what Flans was trying to say. I would suggest buying some CDs from the boys from Swindon (XTC), but I especially like the 80s and 90s stuff. I like some of the more punk-influenced 70s music but not quite as much. Black Sea onward are great choices for the most part. Drums & Wires can be very good and probably my favorite b-side off of White Music, Science Friction, is great. -Matt -- Matt James mjames@justice.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD ------------------------------ From: PRMega@aol.com Message-ID: <680de6ba.36719fac@aol.com> Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 17:41:48 EST Subject: TMBG: Time Poll Can someone tell me the address for the non-cheating Time poll? Thanks. PR Mega ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 19:51:55 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Album covers Message-ID: <19981211.200522.-179593.5.gray42@juno.com> From: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) Hmmm, my favorite would have to be the EP cover of They'll Need A Crane, and my least favorite would have to be STD. John did a good job taking pictures, but I was disappointed that I couldn't see their faces. (really disapointed) Mysterio Gal (completely out to lunch in squaresville) Rule #666 Always speak in CAPITAL letters, DON'T send letters to the state CAPITAL MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 19:43:41 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Constellations and Mince Message-ID: <19981211.200521.-179593.3.gray42@juno.com> From: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) >Why do Americans (and I'm already searching for a hiding place) insist >on >referring to obvious Pop groups/entities as Rock? >Have we dumb-assed limeys missed the point or something? >Pop means Popular. >Surely to call TMBG Pop is a compliment. Or am I just dumb, still? my personal reason: I usually detest the retarded comercial society of conformists that I live in. Therefore, I detest the phrase "pop", but that doesn't mean I wouldn't listen to a labled "pop" group if their music was good. For instance "aha" in the 80's, now they were popular (I think) and awesome Mysterio Gal (loves 80's music) Rule #666 Always speak in CAPITAL letters, DON'T send letters to the state CAPITAL MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 19:09:04 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom YAY!!! Zippie Da Doo!! Message-ID: <19981211.200521.-179593.1.gray42@juno.com> From: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) >> SEXXY: The most pimpin' song TMBG has, or ever will, have. > >is that a good thing or a bad thing? I think it's bad, but, then >again, >I don't particularly care for the song, either... the live version is >much better (because it's shorter) > There are two ways to interperet pimpin' in my mind. 1) This song it your classic 70's-80's sassy, n' sexxy song that should be on Mono Puff's It's fun To Steal album :) Then there's the pimpin' term in meaning that TMBG is prostituting itself with this song, kinda selling out cause it's not their usual stuff. Somethin' that one might hear on the radio :P Mysterio Gal (completely out to lunch in squaresville) Rule #666 Always speak in CAPITAL letters, DON'T send letters to the state CAPITAL MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 19:57:59 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG:Floodies Message-ID: <19981211.200522.-179593.6.gray42@juno.com> From: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) When I become an eccentric millionare and have built it, it will be open to close friends, 500 bidders. Hell, if you have rotating houses you'll need funding. Ah, the ultimate Art project :D >>I'm from Venice, Florida and one day will buy my own road, name it >>Mysterio Lane, and will live there in a motion detector controlled, >>rotating house :) > >Cool! Can I live there, too? > >--nicole twn > Mysterio Gal (completely out to lunch in squaresville) Rule #666 Always speak in CAPITAL letters, DON'T send letters to the state CAPITAL MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 >(p.s. thanks for the birthday wishes. :) > >*** >"Today you'll be learning how to model your love lives as a series of >second-order ordinary differential equations."--former math professor >Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn ICQ >#11984736 >Public PGP key at http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn/key.html >ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org > ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 19:35:43 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Confus Message-ID: <19981211.200521.-179593.2.gray42@juno.com> From: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) >In summary we have: >1. Rhythm Section Want Ad >2. Kiss Me, Son Of God (I think - no death threats for mistakes >please) >3. Road Movie To Berlin >4. Space Suit >5. The End Of The Tour >6. The Bells Are Ringing > >1. is good, but stifled by their 1986 style. A good track >nonetheless. Ah memories, this is one of my fav.s, it sits along side that song "Never goona change my clothes" if I got the name wrong, it's cause I grew up with a bootleg of the "Pink" album until "Then" came out... Anyway's great imagery >2. gets swallowed up in the pattern of the rest of the album. This one, I felt, sorta stood out from the others. Even though I enjoyed it's overall message, I tired of it quickly. I place this song with Guitar, and Hey Mr. DJ... >3. Simply different (and NOT AT ALL commercial. People are confused. Good, tho' not very interesting, good thing it was last :P >The >most commercial of their albums is Apollo 18 - to cash in on the >success of >Flood - think about it.) Reeeagh, I always felt this was the weirdest and most artistic and experimental album. Take for instance "fingertips" that is very different. >4. A filler track that sometimes needs ignoring. How many chords are >there? >Three? Four? This is one of the songs I look forward to when I listen to the album, a very good instrumental >5. A fantastically misleading song. I only recently discovered that >it's >about a car crash. The title alone designated that it should go >straight to >the end of the album, not pass start and not collect the $200. Whoa... Weird, that never occured to me :) >6. contains one of my favorite lyrical imagery things. (ran out of >clever >words) 'one thousand people staring; they pull away her earplugs'. >What an >idea of mass conformism squeezed into two lines. THe one person daring >to go >against the flow is forced to conform by the 'powerful masses'. Is the >guy >describing communism in any way? Or have I misunderstood something >blindingly obvious? Oh man, I have to agree on this one, that bit you just quoted has always sent shivers up my spine. This is probably the song I relate to the most. Hmeheh, what would Ayn Rand think of this? Mysterio Gal (Who is John Galt?) Rule #666 Always speak in CAPITAL letters, DON'T send letters to the state CAPITAL MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 > >Anyhoo. >Sarah Whassaname from There. >I'm from Britain. I was born in Blackburn, England and currently live >in >Berlin, Germany. >Are you now sated? Hope so :-) > >Until next time (sorry this was so long, but sixteen-million questions >can >only be ignored for so long) > >Leon. > >_____________ >Leon X. Deggs > > > > >_______________________________________________________ >Get your free, private e-mail at http://mail.excite.com/ > ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 19:45:33 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: passing on the news Message-ID: <19981211.200522.-179593.4.gray42@juno.com> From: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) awww, how cute, it brings a whole new meaning to the phrase John Henry :P Mysterio Gal (completely out to lunch in squaresville) Rule #666 Always speak in CAPITAL letters, DON'T send letters to the state CAPITAL MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: HallOfEyes@aol.com Message-ID: <13a487bf.3671c3b2@aol.com> Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 20:15:30 EST Subject: Re: non TMBG: first album My first tmbg album I HEARD was a copy of Flood. The first one I bought...yikes...I think the First album, or possibly Lincoln. The first tmbg CD I bought was Apollo 18. The first album I ever bought is some Weird Al casette...I don't know which one. Jordan ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 22:41:47 EST Subject: Marginally TMBG: a-ha!!! (was Re: TMBG: Constellations and Mince) << Therefore, I detest the phrase "pop", but that doesn't mean I wouldn't listen to a labled "pop" group if their music was good. For instance "aha" in the 80's, now they were popular (I think) and awesome >> Yay! a-ha were my fave band in the 80's bar none (hehe)! They're still sorta big in Europe...and big news! ::drumroll:: They're releasing a new album next year! I have a tape of all their videos (a Japanese import), and while I'll always like their early pop/synth work best, their more rocking later sound is/was good as well, and I'm very curious about what the new cd will be like. While I wouldn't say they sound like TMBG, they did have a few songs with a distinctly TMBG-ish quality to them. As an example, I present for your reading pleasure the lyrics to one of their little gems, "Maybe, Maybe" (sung to a very bouncy pop beat, of course): *** Maybe you were joking when you said that you were walking out on me. Maybe maybe. Maybe I was joking when I said that I was running out on you. Maybe maybe. I could be wrong, so wrong. I could be wrong, so wrong. I could be wrong... I don't know, but it's been said, decisions travel far from heart to head. Maybe maybe. Maybe it was over when you chucked me out the Rover at full speed. Maybe maybe. I could be wrong, so wrong. I could be wrong, so wrong. I could be wrong... *** whaddya think? If you think the lyrics are at all TMBG-ish, you should hear the music!! Kay ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 23:02:28 -0700 Subject: TMBG: mostly non-tmbg: harvey danger and others show :) Message-ID: <19981211.231150.3462.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> HEy HEY! so this isn't related to TMBG but i'll make the necessary links so it is... I went to KTCL's "not so silent night" free show tonight (featuring Harvey Danger, Cherry Poppin' Daddies, Love & Rockets, and Soul Coughing). It was an invite-only show so it took me a little bit of work to get in but definately worth my troubles... Harvey Danger (as you all know... flansy recently directed a video for them... which i have yet to see cuzi no longer have a TV)... anyways, the greatest line of the night "I've been around the world and found that only stupid people are... MOSHING" (i guess the days of moshing really are coming to an end) they then went straight into their own rendition of Soul Coughing's "Circles" which was pretty groovy. :) My bud, who i dragged to the TMBG show last september, was like "the lead singer of Harvey Danger reminds me of John FLansburgh... only fatter" hehee... it's the whole danny akroyd (sp?) all over :) allright, i'd give a full review but you all know how long-winded i am when it comes to reviewing good concerts and i'm too tired to do so anyways... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::i heard a fly buzz when i died::: ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <367220DD.FA00F13@tmbg.org> Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 07:53:01 +0000 From: Jessee Young Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #13-12 > That's where Weird Al went to school, y'know. (He was a architecture > > major, too, for that matter.) Are there any shrines to him there, or > > maybe an Alfred M. Yankovic Hall?<<< > > I met Weird Al at a TMBG show in LA ~92...all i could think was 'guest > accordian appearance and polka jam!!'...didn't happen > not that this is relevant, but my girlfriend's mom dated weird al for a time in high school. It's true, I've seen pictures. Sadly, they have fallen out of touch... -jessee ------------------------------ From: "Harvey Bojarsky" Subject: TMBG: StumpBox Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 10:13:34 -0500 Message-ID: <000001be25e1$fce9c280$3a24adce@hbojarsky> >>anyways, these are all compiled on two tapes "Stumpbox" which >>any bootleg trader would be willing to dub for you less >>fortunate kiddies... I'm kind of new here, and qualify as 'less fortunate'. :-( Anyone care to help me out? I have a lot of Dylan, Richard Thompson, Loudon Wainwright, Ani DiFranco, etc. to exchange. Thanks *very* much HB ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 12:23:58 +0100 From: beknowles@vassar.edu (Ben Knowles) Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #13-12 Message-id: <01J590OGS8S200IGZ6@VASSAR.EDU> >I listened to it, I said, "Huh." Some of the songs were pretty >good, some were OK, and some (e.g., Women and Men) pretty much >left me cold and unmoved. ugh. i feel like i've been punched. that's gotta be one of my favorite songs ever. such a beautiful melody. and how can you not like the complex time signature? very lennon-esque. you can talk about "road movie to berlin" all you want though. that's the worst tmbg song since "you'll miss me." nub ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <199812121757.MAA26661@justice.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Non-Tmbg: rotating house Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 12:57:36 -0500 (EST) > When I become an eccentric millionare and have built it, it will be open > to close friends, 500 bidders. Hell, if you have rotating houses you'll > need funding. Ah, the ultimate Art project :D > > >>I'm from Venice, Florida and one day will buy my own road, name it > >>Mysterio Lane, and will live there in a motion detector controlled, > >>rotating house :) Actually, this has already been done. There is this show called Eurotrash in Europe and they had this French guy on who had a rotating house that could drive down the street at 2 mph. I think he had a new babe in it every week. -Matt -- Matt James mjames@justice.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3672B667.1162E79@cnr.edu> Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 13:31:04 -0500 From: "Sarah Starr" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #13-12 Ben Knowles wrote: > >I listened to it, I said, "Huh." Some of the songs were pretty > >good, some were OK, and some (e.g., Women and Men) pretty much > >left me cold and unmoved. > > ugh. i feel like i've been punched. that's gotta be one of my favorite > songs ever. such a beautiful melody. and how can you not like the complex > time signature? very lennon-esque. you can talk about "road movie to > berlin" all you want though. that's the worst tmbg song since "you'll miss > me." man, this is turning into serial fighting. I like You'll Miss Me. A lot. in fact, my main email address (fingerofmyglove@tmbg.org) comes from You'll Miss Me. It's a beautiful song to listen to when you've been rejected by someone....to reassure yourself that they will suffer just as much as you.....>:) sarah "you'll see my teeth in the stars above" faye ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 13:41:39 -0500 Subject: Re: Marginally TMBG: a-ha!!! (was Re: TMBG: Constellations and Mince) Message-ID: <19981212.134147.-254449.0.gray42@juno.com> From: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) >I don't know, but it's been said, decisions travel far from heart to >head. >Maybe maybe. >Maybe it was over when you chucked me out the Rover at full speed. >Maybe maybe. > >whaddya think? If you think the lyrics are at all TMBG-ish, you >should hear >the music!! that line about the Rover sounds like somethin ol' Flansie would come up with :) As for my favorite aha song, you can't beat the childhood classic "take on me, with it's commic book style vidio, so kay, is the take on me vidio on that tape of yours, if so, do you think you could bootleg a copy for me? I can either trade, or pay for shipping costs and vidio. You see I don't have cable, and therefore can't look for it on VH1 or MTV, not that they even still play it. I Kay doesn't have it, does anyone else? Mysterio Gal (completely out to lunch in squaresville) Rule #666 Always speak in CAPITAL letters, DON'T send letters to the state CAPITAL MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 >Kay > ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <12DEC98.16484715.0057.MUSIC@MARISTB.MARIST.EDU> Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 15:15:49 EST From: Misty Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #13-12 >ugh. i feel like i've been punched. that's gotta be one of my favorite >songs ever. such a beautiful melody. and how can you not like the complex >time signature? very lennon-esque. you can talk about "road movie to >berlin" all you want though. that's the worst tmbg song since "you'll miss >me." > >nub Well, while I disagree with you on "Road Movie to Berlin," (I think it's an OK song), I wholeheartedly agree with you on "You'll Miss Me." I really don't like that song. It's loud and annoying, and is just about the last song I'd use if I was introducing someone to TMBG and what a great band they were. I'm glad someone agrees with me. It must be a Poughkeepsie thing. Misty ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19981212122548.0077a760@mailbox.ucdavis.edu> Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 12:25:54 -0800 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: translations + baby Linnell >And a world shouts, " embrace me, wire >of God! " > >how does "son" translate into "wire"???? Anyway, enjoy. :) "Son" in French is "fils" (pronounced "fees", hard s, one syllable.) "Wire" in French is "fil", the plural of which is... you guessed it... "fils" (pronounced, roughly, "feel"). (Actually it doesn't just mean wire, it can also mean "string" or "thread".) My guess is that they searched their database wrong. >well, if it was supposed to be live, we can assume they skipped out due to >baby linnell.. Ya think? Henry Linnell didn't necessarily make his triumphant entrance into the world right before we found out about it. He could have been born a few days ago... why, he might even have been born on MY birthday!!! And wouldn't *that* be cool? But seriously. There could easily have been a delay of a couple of days between Henry's birth and the news thereof seeping into this list. It's not like the band runs out to inform us immediately when anything important happens in the lives of the Johns. --nicole twn native French speaker *** "Today you'll be learning how to model your love lives as a series of second-order ordinary differential equations."--former math professor Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn ICQ #11984736 Public PGP key at http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn/key.html ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 15:43:50 -0600 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <74unb6$pe6$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #13-12 Misty wrote in message <12DEC98.16484715.0057.MUSIC@MARISTB.MARIST.EDU>... >>you can talk about "road movie to >>berlin" all you want though. that's the worst tmbg song since "you'll miss >>me." >> >>nub > >Well, while I disagree with you on "Road Movie to Berlin," (I think >it's an OK song), I wholeheartedly agree with you on "You'll Miss Me." >I really don't like that song. It's loud and annoying, and is just >about the last song I'd use if I was introducing someone to TMBG and >what a great band they were. I'm glad someone agrees with me. It must >be a Poughkeepsie thing. > >Misty While I used to hate You'll Miss Me, and even skipped the track when listening to Lincoln, my roomie took a likening to it, so I re-listened to it a couple dozen times and now actually like it. i agree though, that'd be the last song I'd use if I was introducing someone to TMBG, though. I think it is an aquired taste. -Jay ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19981212223653.011982f4@pop-server.austin.rr.com> Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 16:36:53 -0600 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: XTC vs. America >The title alone had me spunking in me keks. I'm trying to decide if that's a good or bad thing. Harf, Mitch http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~mitcharf/index.html "I am prepared to meet anyone, but whether anyone is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." - Mark Twain ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001101be2622$27260820$8933cc98@oemcomputer> From: ".." Subject: TMBG: Linnell babysitter Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 17:52:51 -0500 Hey, I doubt many of you remember me, I was on the list for a long time, well probably over a year ago by now... (feel free to email me if you do remember me) Anyway, this summer, I became friends with someone who lives in Sudsbury (however you spell it), Mass (where They went to HS) and he informed me that when he was younger, Linnell's sister babysat for him just a contribution and an opportunity to say hi again to everyone. -Joel "Mike Leffel's Missing???" Gedalius [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 18:54:55 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #13-12 Its my least favorite of all of them. Imagine what people would think of the band if that was the first song of theirs they listened to? Thats the same reason I really don't care for SEXXY. I had people who heard that on the radio..and thought it was really cool, and then I played more typical TMBG songs and they didn't care for them at all. It just gives a wrong impression of THEM -Amber the Transcendent Mistress of the Known Cosmos ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3673152A.C070AC4@earthlink.net> Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 17:15:29 -0800 From: Rhett Roback Subject: TMBG: I'm new Hey evryone, my names Rhett, and I just got the cd Flood. I really like the cd, and I'm wondering what new cds they have?? Rhett ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 19:28:58 -0600 (CST) From: bill tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: Road Movie to Berlin Message-ID: On Sat, 12 Dec 1998, Ben Knowles wrote: > ugh. i feel like i've been punched. that's gotta be one of my favorite > songs ever. such a beautiful melody. and how can you not like the complex > time signature? very lennon-esque. you can talk about "road movie to > berlin" all you want though. that's the worst tmbg song since "you'll miss > me." Sigh. Why does it seem like I'm in the vast minority in saying that I like "Road Movie to Berlin"? Even though I'm adamantly opposed to Flood as an album (wayyyy to commercial for my tastes), RMTB, along with "Letterbox" and "Dead" are certainly fine songs. But hey...what do I know? The Rev P.S. Anyone given any thought to having a survey of the top ten albums of the year (according to this list)? Just thought about that one... |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| | Reverend Bill Tatalovich | Home page: | | | http://students.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/ | | wt3@cec.wustl.edu |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ | personnel@kwur.wustl.edu | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 10:59:21 -0700 Subject: TMBG: the ultimate flans vote Message-ID: <19981212.192313.4350.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> you thought the first one was good... check it out...check it totally out! http://www.bodymindri.com/Emmanuel/Flans.html you can get about 20/minute take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <16182047.36733911@aol.com> Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 22:48:33 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: translations + baby Linnell In a message dated 12/12/98 3:30:05 PM, ana.ng@tmbg.org writes: >There could easily have been a delay of a couple of days >between Henry's birth and the news thereof seeping into this list. It's >not like the band runs out to inform us immediately when anything important >happens in the lives of the Johns. > well, based on the info that was posted, if it's true, it was the day it said (10th?). sarah ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #13-12 Message-ID: <19981213.003457.4687.1.sailormorningstar@juno.com> From: sailormorningstar@juno.com (Celeste A Majetich) Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 00:38:06 EST >>I listened to it, I said, "Huh." Some of the songs were pretty >>good, some were OK, and some (e.g., Women and Men) pretty much >>left me cold and unmoved. >ugh. i feel like i've been punched. that's gotta be one of my favorite >songs ever. such a beautiful melody. and how can you not like the >complex time signature? very lennon-esque. I have to agree that, that is a good song. >you can talk about "road movie to berlin" all you want though. that's the worst tmbg >song since "you'll miss me." But NO! I think that these two songs are good! (Sorry...Im just one of those weird people who likes everything.) I don't understand why everyone seems to hate "You'll Miss Me"? Can anyone explain? Also Amber writes: <> If you think about it...there are a lot of bands who use many different styles of music. Take for instance, The Beatles, throughout their musical career, they changed several times...(this may be due to the fact that they were together for so many years...in the influential 60's), and people still liked them! I think that you guys who don't like those two songs should at least give them a chance. Try listening to them a couple more times and pay attention to the LYRICS instead of the style of music. Also....sure, they are bound to be people who will hear some of their more unTMBGish songs on the radio and will like them only for these songs. But, is this all bad??? -Karen aka Celeste :P "Living Is Easy With Eyes Closed, Mis-Understanding All You See." -John Lennon....another fab John L! "I don't want the world, I just want your half." -From 'Ana Ng' ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <002501be2664$26bf2a00$50d12581@oemcomputer> From: "kelspots" Subject: TMBG: translations Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 01:45:08 -0500 I was intrigued by the tranlsator, and thought I'd post my findings here.... English: I returned a bag of groceries accidentally taken off the shelf before the expiration date. Italian: I have given back a bag of the drogheria I have accidentally removed the console before the due date. French: I returned a bag of grocer accidentally removed the rack before the expiration date. German: I returned a bag of the grocer's shop removed inadvertently the shelf before the purge date. Portugese: I returned a bag from the done grocery examination accidentally I am of the shelf before the date expiration. Spanish: I returned a purse from the grocer's I accidentally removed the shelf before the date from victory. Expiration = victory??? Any Spanish speakers care to clear THAT up for me? Amy :) Come trade with me! http://www.strangemud.net/~agreen/boots.html [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #13-13 ******************************