Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #13-14 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 13, Number 14 Monday, 14 December 1998 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: translations + baby Linnell Re: TMBG: Linnell babysitter TMBG: SEXXY & It's Fun To Steal... Re: TMBG: Linnell babysitter TMBG: road movie to berlin TMBG: you'll miss me, etc. TMBG: TMBG This Ameican Life Re: TMBG: you'll miss me, etc. TMBG: YEAH! TMBG: This Life TMBG: way to go! NON-TMBG:Toad the wet sprocket Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 09:33:26 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: translations + baby Linnell Message-ID: <19981213.093736.3510.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> > >well, based on the info that was posted, if it's true, it was the day >it said >(10th?). no.. i'm pretty sure shana (the one that posted the info) was a little slow to get the info... especially considering that the kid was due a month ago... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 09:37:30 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell babysitter Message-ID: <19981213.093736.3510.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> >Anyway, this summer, I became friends with someone who lives in >Sudsbury = >(however you spell it), Mass (where They went to HS) and he informed >me = >that when he was younger, Linnell's sister babysat for him waitaminute... i thot flans had a brother and linnell was an only child? take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 12:19:53 -0500 (EST) From: "Jason A. Glastetter" Subject: TMBG: SEXXY & It's Fun To Steal... Message-ID: I'd have to say SEXXY is definitely a song for the pimps, it's cool. However, it does NOT belong on Mono Puff's album. It is so a TMBG song. If I remember how Flansburgh tries to describe TMBG songs, it is as follows (paraphrase): "We're a pop culture band. What we try to do is take the worst aspects of pop culture & put them into our songs. [He talked about disco, country, etc.] No matter how hard to sound like someone else, however, we still wind up sounding like ourselves." Or something like that... Jason "Fish is a British pop band. Phish means Americans can't spell" Glastetter ========================================= http://www.poingly.com Home of the infamous Poingly online game! ========================================= ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981213185958.23366.rocketmail@send203.yahoomail.com> Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 10:59:58 -0800 (PST) From: Me Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell babysitter ---tmbgirl@juno.com wrote: > waitaminute... i thot flans had a brother and linnell > was an only child? They both have brothers. I heard one of them say something about "our older brothers," and I once heard Linnell mention in an interview something about "my older siblings," so he has at least a brother and a sister who are older than him. It sounds like they're both the babies of their respective families, but it's certainly possible that they have younger siblings as well. Hoping this helps, Inspector Over the Mine _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 12:34:46 -0700 (MST) From: Tara Weber Subject: TMBG: road movie to berlin Message-ID: > Sigh. Why does it seem like I'm in the vast minority in saying that I > like "Road Movie to Berlin"? Even though I'm adamantly opposed to Flood > as an album (wayyyy to commercial for my tastes), RMTB, along with > "Letterbox" and "Dead" are certainly fine songs. But hey...what do I > know? > > The Rev I like "Road Movie to Berlin" mostly because it contains my absolute most favorite TMBG lyric ever: "we were once so close to Heaven, Peter came out and gave us medals, declaring us the nicest of the damned." --Tara, the nicest of the damned. :) -- "You are as rheumatic as two dry toasts." --William Shakespeare ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 14:54:42 +0100 From: beknowles@vassar.edu (Ben Knowles) Subject: TMBG: you'll miss me, etc. Message-id: <01J5AK8MR58200J1KM@VASSAR.EDU> >>you can talk about "road movie to berlin" all you want though. that's >the worst tmbg >song since "you'll miss me." >But NO! I think that these two songs are good! (Sorry...Im just one of >those weird people who likes everything.) I don't understand why >everyone seems to hate "You'll Miss Me"? Can anyone explain? because it's not even a song. there's no melody to speak of, a lot of cacophonic horns and drum machine noises, and flans screaming pseudo-beat poetry. i like tmbg because of their melodies, and when that's gone i'm just not interested - i don't care how good the lyrics are (i don't really think those lyrics are all that good anyhow). the best thing about "you'll miss me" is that it breaks into "they'll need a crane" which is ultra-melodic, and has much more poignant lyrics about love/relationship shit. to the "limey" that asked about "pop" music: i think most americans' definition of pop (or mine, at any rate) is music whose melody relies on the "pop hook" - that sort of indefinable catchiness that infests one's brain like a tumor. tmbg are masters of the pop hook. the beatles were the originators. so for instance, someone like matthew sweet, who's not all that "popular," can make really great pop music. "one week" is a pop masterpiece, as far as i'm concerned. so is the spice girls "wannabe." all pop is definately not created equal, however. take for instance 90% of the garbage they play on the radio - almost all pop, almost all bad. incidently, i think that when bands start to take themselves to seriously, whatever pop qualities the music might have are completely negated - like bush, for instance. or the wallflowers. i mean please, get over yourselves. i'm trying to think of something that's popular that's not "pop" - rap, i guess, although puff daddy is doing his damnedest to change that. or maybe techno - although i'd say that orbital and underworld are not pop, whereas fatboy slim and chemical brothers are, simply because the latter have taken great pains to tailor their music to a mass audience. which doesn't *necessarily* mean the music sucks, but often does.... sorry bout the rambling... nub ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3674235C.12E1@rica.net> Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 15:28:12 -0500 From: Joey Groah Subject: TMBG: TMBG This Ameican Life Anybody going to/get to the This American Life taping today (12/13) with Giants sitting in? Check out http://www.thislife.org or your local NPR station for broadcast times. joey ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981213211142.11045.rocketmail@send202.yahoomail.com> Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 13:11:42 -0800 (PST) From: Me Subject: Re: TMBG: you'll miss me, etc. ---Ben Knowles wrote: > because it's not even a song. there's no melody to speak of, a lot of > cacophonic horns and drum machine noises, and flans screaming pseudo-beat > poetry. i like tmbg because of their melodies, and when that's gone i'm > just not interested - i don't care how good the lyrics are (i don't really > think those lyrics are all that good anyhow). I think the point is that the song is from the perspective of this total loser who is actually going to be the one doing the missing. Nice use of the word "cacophonic" but I think it's "cacophonous," BTW. At any rate, I think the cacophony ;) in that song is one of the things I like about. Sometimes I just have to listen to something loud, nasty, and obnoxious. It's kind of like purging my system. > the best thing about "you'll miss me" is that it breaks into "they'll need > a crane" which is ultra-melodic, and has much more poignant lyrics about > love/relationship shit. Oh, yeah. That song practically rips my heart out of my chest. I love it. "The End of the Tour" is also in that class (for me, anyway). Inspector Over the Mine _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36746DB2.F18F65BB@execpc.com> Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 17:45:22 -0800 From: zeke Subject: TMBG: YEAH! John Flansburgh passed Ric Flair everybody. Keep up the work! ------------------------------ From: PRMega@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 19:44:28 EST Subject: TMBG: This Life Did anyone else see this on the This Life website? " We've added a second New York show. Pick up tix for our just-added 6 p.m. NYC taping on Sunday, December 13, and see Sarah Vowell, Dan Savage, David Rakoff and Ira Glass read/perform stories for our "What Are You Looking At?" show at Town Hall. In New York, you'll also hear They Might Be Giants and the esteemed This American Life Orchestra (featuring members of TMBG, Mono Puff, and anyone else John Flansburgh can pull in off the street)." Hehehehe... PR Mega ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 18:45:06 -0700 Subject: TMBG: way to go! Message-ID: <19981213.184511.3694.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> Hey HEY kiddies, Well, in the past 3 days Flansy has gotten close to 55,000 votes... needless to say, he's passed Ric Flair. Next up, Hitler... only 50,000 votes ahead. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ::sha la la la la::: ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: ErgoTM@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 00:42:41 EST Subject: NON-TMBG:Toad the wet sprocket I apologize in advance for such an off topic post but...if any of you TMBGers listen to TWS (And I know at least one of you do) could you please tell me if the song P.S. is on any CD and which CD it is on if any. I am pretty sure it is on some CD or another Jeff "This area devoted to Mike leffel" Craig (and my name is NOT snazzy) ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #13-14 ******************************