Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #13-15 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 13, Number 15 Tuesday, 15 December 1998 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #13-12 TMBG: re: you'll miss me, etc. TMBG: XTC in America TMBG: Confus TMBG: Confus TMBG: See the medical chart with it's random zig-zag TMBG: Bag Of Groceries accidentally misunderstood TMBG: Stuff and guff TMBG: I've remembered TMBG: I've remembered TMBG: Flans voting in time question to ponder Re: TMBG: Flans voting in time question to ponder Re: TMBG: Flans voting in time question to ponder Re: TMBG: Flans voting in time question to ponder TMBG: Cheaters, cheaters, pumpkin eaters!!! Re: TMBG: Confus TMBG: Flans vote page down - READ! Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #13-12 TMBG: STOP! Re: TMBG: Stuff and guff Re: TMBG: Flans voting in time question to ponder Re: TMBG: STOP! Non TMBG: Ayn Rand Re: TMBG: Confus SemiTMBG:??? Re: TMBG: Flans voting in time question to ponder TMBG: This Life Re: TMBG: This Life TMBG: brushes with fame, haircuts, and the like... Re: TMBG: Stuff and guff Re: TMBG: Stuff and guff Re: TMBG: Bag Of Groceries accidentally misunderstood Re: TMBG: Flans voting in time question to ponder Re: TMBG: brushes with fame, haircuts, and the like... Re: TMBG: XTC vs. America Re: TMBG: XTC vs. America Re: TMBG: XTC vs. America Re: TMBG: Bag Of Groceries accidentally misunderstood Re: TMBG: road movie to berlin TMBG: One small step for a Flans.... Re: TMBG: XTC vs. America Re: TMBG: road movie to berlin TMBG: Shrink-wrapped Flood Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 14:08:08 -0800 Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #13-12 Message-ID: <19981213.232109.-414675.0.Garrett27@juno.com> From: garrett27@juno.com (Garrett M Liggett) >Its my least favorite of all of them. Imagine what people would think of the >band if that was the first song of theirs they listened to? Thats the same >reason I really don't care for SEXXY. I had people who heard that on the >radio..and thought it was really cool, and then I played more typical TMBG >songs and they didn't care for them at all. It just gives a wrong impression >of THEM >-Amber the Transcendent Mistress of the Known Cosmos I agree. My story's kinda strange. I was first introduced to Them on the Dr. Demento show with Istanbul, Particle Man, and later I Can Hear You. I loved the songs but I never tried to get an album. I was telling my friend about the songs and of course he knew the first two and it turns out that his brother was a big fan. So he convinced me to go out and by an album. I decided to get Factory Showroom just because it had I Can Hear You and I don't think the store had Flood in stock. I went home, popped in the cd and listened to SEXXY and I thought 'Oh great, I just spent a bunch of cash on the cd and they're probably all like this.' I figured that the songs I had heard before were going to be Their only good ones. But I decided to listen to the rest of the album and I was quickly hooked. Now I love SEXXY and practically every other song from every other album. I don't think I can say there are any bad songs because it just depends on what kind of a mood I'm in to listen to a song. Now about Flood. Flood has all great songs on it but the 'playing it till it's dead' has made it so the only way I can listen to it is through shuffle mode. It's not the songs themselves but the album for some reason. Garrett ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 02:31:57 +0100 From: beknowles@vassar.edu (Ben Knowles) Subject: TMBG: re: you'll miss me, etc. Message-id: <01J5B8L2QKEA00IWGV@VASSAR.EDU> >Nice use of the word "cacophonic" but I think it's "cacophonous," BTW. > At any rate, I think the cacophony ;) in that song is one of the oh damn, you caught me - i'm a physics major after all. still, while "cacaphonic" may not be an actual word per se, it still makes grammatical sense. you could translate it as follows: "caca" + "phonic" = shit-sounding. which is what i think that song is. sorry... nub *%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%* | | | "NOLEDG IS POWEH" Ben Knowles - Vassar College | | beknowles@vassar.edu | | -Dr. Seuss Physics - Astronomy | | | *%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@% * ------------------------------ From: "Leon X. Deggs" Subject: TMBG: XTC in America Message-Id: <913624000.14016.294@excite.com> Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 00:26:40 PST >I would say Robyn Hitchcock is another one > of those forgotten Brits who perhaps had more success in the US. Robyn Hitchcock is an unsung Genius of his time. THe VERY few appearances he gets on British TV don't justify his contribution to fun music at all. I mean - The Can Opener - who can do anything else other laugh at this track? It's a classic. > I think the Content vs. Form lyric in XTC vs Adam Ant is fairly applicable as XTC > isn't a showy band, but is full of musical content [snip] whereas Adam Ant seems to be more of the showman, always > trying to be on Form. The thing about XTC and Adam Ant can easily be summarised - as Flans did - with the content and form thing. But XTC said of themselves that their music is too organised. 'This pulley twangs this lever with flicks this switch to operate this lamp'. Partridge's comment to this was: our music is baroque. Some say 'too baroque'. I say: if you don't like beef, don't eat it. And he couldn't have been more right. The thing with Adam Ant is that he was trying quite hard to reinvent himself with every song. Why the two drummers? Why the tribal sound? why the accidental invention of New Romanticism? Because he wanted to stand out and be different. Why the ant motif? and many people missed the subtley of his name: Adam Ant (as was the theme on many Sesame Street shows) AdamAnt = Adamant = adamant [determined]. Very clever wordplay. He's an actor these days, apparently. And he was also in Jubilee prentending to be a struggling punk star. Hmm!!! Significance? Leon. _____________ Leon X. Deggs _______________________________________________________ Get your free, private e-mail at http://mail.excite.com/ ------------------------------ From: "Leon X. Deggs" Subject: TMBG: Confus Message-Id: <913624312.24313.852@excite.com> Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 00:31:52 PST I was referring to those songs as the last album tracks. I know which albums they are from :-) No offense taken. > The End Of The Tour [refers to a car crash] > Tell me more about this...if you know.. The story is - according to sources - that a middle-aged guy was driving along in his car on approach to the freeway (motorway in Brit). As he was about to drive on to the freeway he was hit in the side by a car full of drunk kids. And all were dead, possibly. THe thing about 'as we kissed at the overpass', 'driving themselves to distraction', 'then came a knock at the door which was odd and the picture abruptly changed'. 'At the end of the tour when the road disappears, if there's any more people around when the tour runs aground, then we'll meet at the end of the tour'. All clear? :-) Leon _____________ Leon X. Deggs _______________________________________________________ Get your free, private e-mail at http://mail.excite.com/ ------------------------------ From: "Leon X. Deggs" Subject: TMBG: Confus Message-Id: <913625020.14184.444@excite.com> Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 00:43:40 PST >2. Kiss Me, Son Of God > This one, I felt, sorta stood out from the others. Even though I enjoyed > it's overall message, I tired of it quickly. I place this song with > Guitar, and Hey Mr. DJ... Well, I find that the song was just trying to fit in with the oddness of the rest of the album. I name 'Cowtown', 'Lie Still, Little Bottle' and 'Pencil Reign'. These tracks are blatantly NOT commercial. A dangerous move for a second album. Which is why we're all happy when TMBG release albums with loads of tracks, so we can enjoy the non-single tracks as well. > Apollo 18 > Reeeagh, I always felt this was the weirdest and most artistic and > experimental album. Take for instance "fingertips" that is very > different. Agreed, but how many songs were potential singles? Nearly 60% of the album. Shall I name names? (These are songs I would've released) Dig My Grave I Palindrome I My Evil Twin The Statue Got Me High Dinner Bell Narrow Your Eyes See the Constellation Concerning the accusation of communism in 'Bells Are Ringing': I think it's a wonderful piece of lyrical imagery. It also harks back to the thing about H. G. Wells' Time Machine. All those 'inhabitants' were being called for 'lunch' by those speaker things. All it takes is for the masses to remove the 'earplugs' and you're also being swalled in and washed along with the flow. And - ladies and gentlemen - we're referring to a similar system of conformity when we refer to communism. You can't have a communist system without everyone taking part. It wouldn't work otherwise. And why should 'she' get to keep her 'earplugs'? >Ayn Rand Who? Leon _____________ Leon X. Deggs _______________________________________________________ Get your free, private e-mail at http://mail.excite.com/ ------------------------------ From: "Leon X. Deggs" Subject: TMBG: See the medical chart with it's random zig-zag Message-Id: <913625423.15098.123@excite.com> Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 00:50:23 PST I agree with you, Mysterio Gal. You have a good point. I still remember nuying 'Ball & Chain' by XTC on 12" and being rather amazed to see a hint of 'pop' arrogance printed on the back cover. It said: 'File Under Popular'. It took me a while to realise that this was simply meant to help the record store owner know where to file his stock. But the term 'rock' conjures (spelling?) an image of Def Leppard performing their AOR with spandex keks and brocolli-filled trousies. And I resent the phrase being used for TMBG and XTC. Even though both bands are not strictly popular, but play the kind of music that was 'pop'. >For instance "aha" in the 80's A-ha were and are pop. And will always be pop. Even if they used overdriven guitars in their songs, the overall achievement was pop. Thank you. Leon _____________ Leon X. Deggs _______________________________________________________ Get your free, private e-mail at http://mail.excite.com/ ------------------------------ From: "Leon X. Deggs" Subject: TMBG: Bag Of Groceries accidentally misunderstood Message-Id: <913627468.15676.132@excite.com> Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 01:24:28 PST People of TMBG Fanbase Tis me once more Sirrah! Right, I ain't dumb, stoopid or idiotic. My confus(ion) with the Dead/Bag Of Groceries thing stemmed from one poster who referred to Dead as Bag Of Groceries. and this set me off thinking that perhaps there was some rather extreme censorship going on over that side of the pond. It's been known that songs have had to be altered due to their content. ('Respectable Street' - XTC) So why not song titles? Let's consider the songs and art work of Cannibal Corpse ... My favourite album (cover, content, music, overall) is Lincoln. The first TMBG album I bought (although it was 1992) and still love deeply. Like the first shag. Later and keep warm. Leon _____________ Leon X. Deggs _______________________________________________________ Get your free, private e-mail at http://mail.excite.com/ ------------------------------ From: "Leon X. Deggs" Subject: TMBG: Stuff and guff Message-Id: <913629090.24713.61@excite.com> Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 01:51:30 PST Okay, answering questions is fun. I said >The title alone had me spunking in me keks. And Mitch said: >I'm trying to decide if that's a good or bad thing. Mitch, palomine, this is a good thing. I mean that the title excited me so much (to see my two other favorite bands mentioned in one [mediocre] song) that I likened it to the epitome orgasm where you can cream your trousers with man-sauce without even touching Harvey the Trouser snake. It seems that Rhett (I'm New) has inadvertantly announced himself as a Floodie. The fact that he said 'do they have any new albums' is proof if proof be needed. I am CERTAIN that Flood clearly states the 1990 date stamp. And we have ... let me see ... 1998 today. Hmm. Ignorance is rife and smells of mint. There was another point I wanted to make but have foolishly forgotten. Am I forgiven? Cheers. Leon. PS Rhett: don't make such a foolish mistake again. Harf, Mitch _____________ Leon X. Deggs _______________________________________________________ Get your free, private e-mail at http://mail.excite.com/ ------------------------------ From: "Leon X. Deggs" Subject: TMBG: I've remembered Message-Id: <913629313.24208.188@excite.com> Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 01:55:13 PST I now remember what else I wanted to say. I REALLY admire 'Road Movie' cos it's really difficult to write a song without - yes, WITHOUT - minor chords and make it sound depressingly low. As the song somehow achieves. I have a personal disease when it comes to songwriting. I can't avoid using minor chords and end up with boppy tuney tracks with similar singalongability as 'Dr. Worm' [fart] Scuse me, it was the curry. L8ter. Leon. _____________ Leon X. Deggs _______________________________________________________ Get your free, private e-mail at http://mail.excite.com/ ------------------------------ From: "Leon X. Deggs" Subject: TMBG: I've remembered Message-Id: <913629446.12648.990@excite.com> Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 01:57:26 PST I now remember what else I wanted to say. I REALLY admire 'Road Movie' cos it's really difficult to write a song without - yes, WITHOUT - minor chords and make it sound depressingly low. As the song somehow achieves. I have a personal disease when it comes to songwriting. I can't avoid using minor chords and end up with boppy tuney tracks with similar singalongability as 'Dr. Worm' [fart] Scuse me, it was the curry. L8ter. Leon. _____________ Leon X. Deggs _______________________________________________________ Get your free, private e-mail at http://mail.excite.com/ ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 05:22:06 EST Subject: TMBG: Flans voting in time question to ponder Hello 41- <<,Well, in the past 3 days Flansy has gotten close to 55,000 votes... needless to say, he's passed Ric Flair. Next up, Hitler... only 50,000 votes ahead.>> I was thinking this. We were the only faction that was supporting a person in the top part of the Time poll that was not cheating, or so we think. Now there is a cheat to do it. Will this mean they'll take away votes that were genuine? Does it mean they'll start looking more closley at what we do? Who knows, maybe it just means that Flans will win. Adam ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 06:44:22 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: Flans voting in time question to ponder Message-ID: <19981214.065058.4654.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> < We were the only faction that was supporting a >person in >the top part of the Time poll that was not cheating, or so we think. >Now >there is a cheat to do it. Will this mean they'll take away votes >that were >genuine? Does it mean they'll start looking more closley at what we >do? Who >knows, maybe it just means that Flans will win. yEah i was getting a little concerned because we're entering both a zip code -and- a country... you technically only need to do one or the other but if it actually records where these votes are coming from you don't think that they're gonna notice that the zip codes and countries don't correspond? take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19981214111426.007c7ca0@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 11:14:26 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Flans voting in time question to ponder At 05:22 AM 12/14/98 EST, NitpickR@aol.com wrote: > >I was thinking this. We were the only faction that was supporting a person in >the top part of the Time poll that was not cheating, or so we think. Now I have to disagree here. People have been cheating since day 1 supporting Flans. -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.crystal-night.com/~ctyner/tuscadero.html http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ He-Man, Tuscadero, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, & more! ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 11:29:56 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Flans voting in time question to ponder In a message dated 98-12-14 11:19:04 EST, you write: > I have to disagree here. People have been cheating since day 1 supporting > Flans. > Technically speaking, if you voted more than once, you've cheated. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000b01be2781$b8782aa0$cb431ecf@default> From: "John Lambert" Subject: TMBG: Cheaters, cheaters, pumpkin eaters!!! Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 11:49:25 -0500 Hi my name is Brother John Green Jello and I'm a cheater. I have 8 windows of the "super" cheater open at once. That's 104 votes from me every minute or two. That's cool. Currently John is still in third place... 11:44 am EST this is the reading: 3 John Flansburgh 10.12 151841 This, by the way, has made my computer virtually useless to anything else. All resources are going to voting. That's ok. According to my calculations (which are really shaking b/c I just know my rate of voting and an approximate guess of everyone else and I rounded down to be safe)... Adolf should be going down in about 4.5 hours, b/c his votes are not increasing... Jesus on the other hand is gaining speed. If we keep this pace up, we can beat Jesus in about 2.5 weeks. Just in time for the new year. Update... 11:46 am EST: 3 John Flansburgh 10.13 151947 In 2 minutes... that's my 104 votes, plus 2... hehehehe maybe my 104 votes aren't going in as fast as I thought. Still a good pace. Later, Brother John Green Jello http://www.bodymindri.com/Emmanuel/Flans.html is the super vote site ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981214170718.10048.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Confus Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 09:07:17 PST Leon X. Deggs wrote: >> Apollo 18 >> Reeeagh, I always felt this was the weirdest and most artistic and >> experimental album. Take for instance "fingertips" that is very >> different. >Agreed, but how many songs were potential singles? Nearly 60% of the album. >Shall I name names? (These are songs I would've released) >Dig My Grave >I Palindrome I >My Evil Twin >The Statue Got Me High >Dinner Bell >Narrow Your Eyes >See the Constellation I don't know about "Dig My Grave." That one is a bit short. Shortly after I began purchasing TMBG albums, however, I had a dream that I found a "Dig My Grave" single in a music store. >Concerning the accusation of communism in 'Bells Are Ringing': I >think it's >a wonderful piece of lyrical imagery. It also harks back to the thing >about >H. G. Wells' Time Machine. All those 'inhabitants' were being called >for >'lunch' by those speaker things. All it takes is for the masses to >remove >the 'earplugs' and you're also being swalled in and washed along with >the >flow. And - ladies and gentlemen - we're referring to a similar >system of >conformity when we refer to communism. You can't have a communist >system >without everyone taking part. It wouldn't work otherwise. >And why should 'she' get to keep her 'earplugs'? I don't know if I would necessarily consider "The Bells Are Ringing" to be anti-communist. True, communism is based on cooperation from an entire society, but it's an economic system, and I do not see any indication that "Bells" was talking about economics. >>Ayn Rand >Who? She was a writer who was in favour of selfishness. I haven't read any of her works, but they include _The Fountainhead_ and _Atlas Shrugged_. -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 13:06:53 -0500 (EST) From: Josh Axelrad Subject: TMBG: Flans vote page down - READ! Message-ID: I am on IRC right now talking to the person who made the 87advil.painful.org page. He had to take it down because of way too much traffic.... The reason for this is that stupid "multi-vote" page. Apparantly some people don't understand how internet traffic works...having 20 frames accessing the vote page does not make it better...it makes it much much worse...it puts too much load on the machine...it causes too much traffic which causes freeze ups and eventually causes the page to be brought down... If the voting page is going to be put back up it is going to have to be without any multi-vote pages... In fact, the multi-vote page never got permission from the maker of 87advil... There is a year left in this thing and Flans is doing more than well enough to get first with just the normal one running -- Jish TMBG.net and the EFnet #TMBG Home Page http://www.tmbg.net/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981214180922.24715.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Todd Wetherbee" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #13-12 Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 10:09:18 PST >Its my least favorite of all of them. Imagine what people would think of the >band if that was the first song of theirs they listened to? Thats the same >reason I really don't care for SEXXY. I had people who heard that on the >radio..and thought it was really cool, and then I played more typical TMBG >songs and they didn't care for them at all. It just gives a wrong impression >of THEM >-Amber the Transcendent Mistress of the Known Cosmos what song would create the *right* impression of them? farside ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 13:19:10 -0500 (EST) From: Mike Sawicki Subject: TMBG: STOP! Message-ID: If you are the dickhead who made Flans.html, with the multiple occurrences of my page, you deserve to be shot. If I ever catch you doing shit like this again your bodymindri site will burn to the ground. You have no understanding of what something like this could do, and if you did, you are an even bigger dick to have done it. My servers were getting raped this weekend, and I had no idea of it since I wasn't around. Because of you, 87advil is no longer up, and I want everyone to know that. [ Mike Sawicki < f i f i at HAX d.o.t org > *DIE SPAM BOTS!* ] [ UNIX Systems Administrator, Geek & USENET Destructor ...... ] [ Advance Publications Internet / Phone:<201.459.2833> ...... ] [ Inner-Lojik Networks / Phone:<732.396.8653> ............... ] [ url...http://people.lojik.net/fifi/ ....................... ] [ PGP Key @ http://www.HAX.org/keys/fifikey.html ............ ] --- "i am AN hacker." --- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981214183308.4060.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Todd Wetherbee" Subject: Re: TMBG: Stuff and guff Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 10:33:05 PST >PS Rhett: don't make such a foolish mistake again. I hope whoever wrote this was joking. This cat (or chick or whatever) listens to Flood, is interested, and decides to find out more about the band. Sound familiar, 80% of the list? Ignorance is not the same thing as foolishness. Farside ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 13:51:14 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Flans voting in time question to ponder In a message dated 12/14/98 11:19:04 AM, ctyner@clemson.edu writes: >I have to disagree here. People have been cheating since day 1 supporting >Flans. and jesus. :P sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <006c01be279a$eb20e140$d45133cf@ns1.mix-net.net.dns.commdesign.com> From: "Feeny (Chris Campbell)" Subject: Re: TMBG: STOP! Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 14:49:51 -0500 If its a case of having no place to put the page, I think I could put it somwhere. Or somone w/ a big stable server. -Feeny, aka Chris Campbell --ICQ# 22373843 --AIM: Chriscam84 ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 15:30:05 -0500 Subject: Non TMBG: Ayn Rand Message-ID: <19981214.153612.-219831.1.gray42@juno.com> From: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) huh, you seriously don't know who this is? Or is this a form of sarcasm? Anyway, if you want to know about Ayn Rand, read Anthem, Fountain Head, or Atlas Shrugged. Anthem happens to be my fav. ;) Short, and to the point, and it leaves a very deep mark in your psychie. >>Ayn Rand >Who? > >Leon > Mysterio Gal (completely out to lunch in squaresville) Rule #666 Always speak in CAPITAL letters, DON'T send letters to the state CAPITAL MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 _____________ >Leon X. Deggs > > > > >_______________________________________________________ >Get your free, private e-mail at http://mail.excite.com/ > ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981214210828.15431.rocketmail@send205.yahoomail.com> Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 13:08:28 -0800 (PST) From: Me Subject: Re: TMBG: Confus ---"Leon X. Deggs" wrote: > All clear? :-) Actually, I always thought the only person who knows for sure what that song is about isn't talking. :) I think it's funny how people assume they know what that song in particular is about. Personally, I don't think it's intended to be as gruesome as many people think. But, like I said earlier, the only person who knows for sure isn't talking. > Leon X. Deggs Danielle _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <00b901be27a7$763ec740$d45133cf@ns1.mix-net.net.dns.commdesign.com> From: "Feeny (Chris Campbell)" Subject: SemiTMBG:??? Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 16:19:39 -0500 I just got my Flood Vinal, Should I leave it in its shrink wrap, or play it? I want to play it, but isnt it worth more if I dont? NOT that I'd ever sell it;-) Thanks for the imput! Now, If I can only get that Guitar Single! -Feeny, aka Chris Campbell --ICQ# 22373843 --AIM: Chriscam84 ---"Somebody put their fingers in the presidents ears, it wasn't too much later they came out with Johnson's Wax" ----Purple Toupee, They Might Be Giants [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 16:18:59 -0500 From: jason grusmark Message-ID: <367580C2.F8ACDD13@yahoo.com> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Flans voting in time question to ponder NitpickR@aol.com wrote: > Hello 41- > > <<,Well, in the past 3 days Flansy has gotten close to 55,000 votes... > needless to say, he's passed Ric Flair. Next up, Hitler... only 50,000 > votes ahead.>> > > I was thinking this. We were the only faction that was supporting a person in > the top part of the Time poll that was not cheating, or so we think. Now > there is a cheat to do it. Will this mean they'll take away votes that were > genuine? Does it mean they'll start looking more closley at what we do? Who > knows, maybe it just means that Flans will win. > > Adam was Jesus really a person this century? I think not.... Just a though Jason ------------------------------ From: PRMega@aol.com Message-ID: <8c7b18f3.36757fac@aol.com> Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 16:14:20 EST Subject: TMBG: This Life did anyone hear TMBG on This Life? Does anyone know if this will be archived on the site as a Real Audio file? PR Mega ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 15:24:13 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: This Life Message-ID: <19981214.152421.15526.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> >did anyone hear TMBG on This Life? obviously rob did... here goes his post: * ------------------------------------------ I met John Linnell on the street! Posted by Announcement on Monday, 14 December 1998, at 1:43 p.m. Again! After a show! Again! It was after the NPR taping on 43rd Street in NYC yesterday. But, this time, I said, "Hey, John, Congratulations on the baby!" And he said, "Thanks, Rob!" That's cool! He knows my name! By the way, his hair is getting way too long. I'm getting worried about it. I think he's neglecting it. What if it gets in his eyes and he can't see the keyboard and hits the wrong note? I hope he gets his hair cut soon. Love, Rob Plass * ----------------------------------- take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 16:47:47 -0700 (MST) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: brushes with fame, haircuts, and the like... Message-ID: On Mon, 14 Dec 1998 tmbgirl@juno.com wrote: > Again! After a show! Again! It was after the NPR taping on 43rd Street in > NYC yesterday. > But, this time, I said, "Hey, John, Congratulations on the baby!" > And he said, "Thanks, Rob!" > That's cool! He knows my name! damn. jordan is best buds with michael shelley, john linnell knows rob by name.... i'm jealous. although, i *did* get to jam with half of phish recently, (and give their bassist, mike gordon, an impromptu accordion lesson,) but i didn't even know who they were until afterward... > By the way, his hair is getting way too long. I'm getting worried about > it. I think he's neglecting it. What if it gets in his eyes and he can't > see the keyboard and hits the wrong note? I hope he gets his hair cut > soon. but he can't see what he's doing on the accordion, and he seems to do okay! :) --jim kuemmerle, accordion teacher to the stars... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/zivio/ ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Stuff and guff Message-ID: <19981214.192509.7871.1.sailormorningstar@juno.com> From: sailormorningstar@juno.com (Karen M Majetich) Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 19:28:24 EST >>PS Rhett: don't make such a foolish mistake again. >I hope whoever wrote this was joking. This cat (or chick or whatever) >listens to Flood, is interested, and decides to find out more about >the band. Sound familiar, 80% of the list? >Ignorance is not the same thing as foolishness. I agree, when I first joined the list, I had only heard Flood. But now, I like all of their music. In my opinion, and I may be wrong about this, just because someone has first listened to Flood does not mean they are a Floodie. Don't discourage people, just because they have only listened to Flood! -Karen aka Celeste :P "Living Is Easy With Eyes Closed, Mis-Understanding All You See." -John Lennon....another fab John L! "I don't want the world, I just want your half." -From 'Ana Ng' ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <14DEC98.21516627.0066.MUSIC@MARISTB.MARIST.EDU> Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 19:55:22 EST From: Misty Subject: Re: TMBG: Stuff and guff >I like all of their music. In my opinion, and I may be wrong about this, >just because someone has first listened to Flood does not mean they are a >Floodie. Don't discourage people, just because they have only listened >to Flood! > Maestro, I say right on! If it wasn't for Flood, I think this list would have a heckuva lot fewer people on it (myself included). In fact, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if it wasn't for Tiny Toon Adventures, this list would have a heckuva lot fewer people on it. Flood introduced people to the wonder that is They Might Be Giants, and it should be appreciated. I'm sure John and John appreciate it. I also agree that a Floodie is not somebody who purchased Flood as their first TMBG album. Again, if that were the case, a vast majority of us would be Floodies. A Floodie isn't even somebody who thinks Flood is TMBG's best album. A Floodie is somebody who thinks that, just because they own Flood, they are the bomb shit and they own every song TMBG ever recorded. At least that's my opinion. Misty ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 17:36:06 -0800 Subject: Re: TMBG: Bag Of Groceries accidentally misunderstood Message-ID: <19981214.173658.-409443.0.Garrett27@juno.com> From: garrett27@juno.com (Garrett M Liggett) >It's been known that songs have had to be altered due to their >content. >So why not song titles? A perfect example was the whole NyQuil Driver/AKA Driver thing. Garrett ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: <9f8ed01d.3675cc94@aol.com> Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 21:42:28 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Flans voting in time question to ponder In a message dated 98-12-14 16:27:45 EST, you write: > > was Jesus really a person this century? I think not.... > > I think Charles Manson, David Koresh, and a couple of their ilk could dispute that, as they at least *THINK* they're all Jesus... ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 20:32:43 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: brushes with fame, haircuts, and the like... Message-ID: <19981214.203245.15526.3.TMBgirl@juno.com> >damn. jordan is best buds with michael shelley, yes damn jordan! but uh... best buds? just cuz he's a groovy guy and extremely talented... hey did i mention that his albums make great christmas/hanukkah (sp?)/kwanza/canadian boxing day/new years eve/not your birthday presents? remember... "Half Empty" and "Too Many Movies" not to mention his other band, (called "Cheeky Monkey") whose album is called "Four Arms To Hold You" >--jim kuemmerle, accordion teacher to the stars... still waiting for the day when you bless us denverites with your presence -and- your musak :P actually, i dunno about that... i'm either moving out of denver in a month or 8 months... we'll see what happens. which reminds me... after the new year i'm gonna be without a place of residence, which means i may actually have to unsub from the list for a bit... but don't fear (or do, whatever you prefer) i'll be back . take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::Queen of CHEAP PLUGS!!!!::: ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Batbrain99@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 22:20:33 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: XTC vs. America I happen to like XTC vs Andam Ant. It's a rockin song, and one of my favorite. It's nice to have a They tune a little different from the rest (except maybe S~E~X~X~Y. that sheep strayed a little too far from the flock, though I admit I like the song) Yes, A little XTC vs Adam Ant always makes my day. Why? It's got a very cool sound and it has a nice message. Any rock and roll fan would agree. ~BatBrain * ------------------------------------------------------ "Beetle-based pop vs. new romantic: history will decide" ~XTCVSAA ------------------------------ From: Laura A Miller Subject: Re: TMBG: XTC vs. America Message-Id: <3675db0a696e299@mhub3.tc.umn.edu> Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 21:44:11 -0600 Responding to the message of Mon, 14 Dec 1998 22:20:33 EST from Batbrain99@aol.com: > > I happen to like XTC vs Andam Ant. It's a rockin song, and one of my > favorite. It's nice to have a They tune a little different from the > rest > (except maybe S~E~X~X~Y. that sheep strayed a little too far from the > flock, > though I admit I like the song) Yes, A little XTC vs Adam Ant always > makes my > day. Why? It's got a very cool sound and it has a nice message. Any > rock and > roll fan would agree. > ~BatBrain > ------------------------------------------------------ > "Beetle-based pop vs. new romantic: history will decide" So you're the second out of 7 people in the world who like that song? ;-) Laura (also in the special 7) ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 21:47:53 -0600 From: Mix Master Mike Subject: Re: TMBG: XTC vs. America I like that song as well. I also like S.E.X.X.Y. I constantly listen to the remixes of it as well. At 9:20 PM -0600 12/14/98, Batbrain99@aol.com wrote: >I happen to like XTC vs Andam Ant. It's a rockin song, and one of my >favorite. It's nice to have a They tune a little different from the rest >(except maybe S~E~X~X~Y. that sheep strayed a little too far from the flock, >though I admit I like the song) Yes, A little XTC vs Adam Ant always makes my >day. Why? It's got a very cool sound and it has a nice message. Any rock and >roll fan would agree. >~BatBrain >------------------------------------------------------ >"Beetle-based pop vs. new romantic: history will decide" > ~XTCVSAA ------------------------------ From: Insomneeak@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 22:30:35 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Bag Of Groceries accidentally misunderstood A good example of editing a song title is Nirvana's "Rape Me" --- in Wal-Mart you'll see it listed as "Waif Me" ------------------------------ From: Batbrain99@aol.com Message-ID: <939f6c69.3675dd0d@aol.com> Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 22:52:45 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: road movie to berlin In a message dated 12/13/98 7:36:19 PM GMT Standard Time, tlweber@lamar.ColoState.EDU writes: << I like "Road Movie to Berlin" mostly because it contains my absolute most favorite TMBG lyric ever: "we were once so close to Heaven, Peter came out and gave us medals, declaring us the nicest of the damned." >> Quick question: exactly who is this Peter anyways? ~BatBrain, who didn't know who jason and the argonauts were either (I do now, mind ye!) ------------------------------ From: Batbrain99@aol.com Message-ID: <666fbec.3675e1eb@aol.com> Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 23:13:31 EST Subject: TMBG: One small step for a Flans.... Fellow Flans fans! I thought I would give my opinion on this whole "cheating time poll" thing. I think it was a good idea, and it has completed its purpose. I would rather see Mr. F in third, rather than in first or second. Think about it. Do we want the world to know Flans as "the man who was right up with jesus and hitler" or "the man who had enough computer geek support so that he annoyingly won and defeated the purpose of what should have been a meaningful contest" The cheating machine put flans past mohammed and ric flair, and i think that is good enough. Thanks creator of 87advil. Your site was short lived and well done. ~BatBrain ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 22:06:22 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: XTC vs. America Message-ID: <19981214.221058.15526.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> >I like that song as well. I also like S.E.X.X.Y. I constantly listen >to >the remixes of it as well. I like the some of the remixes on the 12" SEXXY single *a lot* more than the remixes on the SEXXY CD single -or- the actual song. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::what the hell do i know::: ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 23:43:39 -0600 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <754s6a$h34$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: road movie to berlin Batbrain99@aol.com wrote in message <939f6c69.3675dd0d@aol.com>... >In a message dated 12/13/98 7:36:19 PM GMT Standard Time, >tlweber@lamar.ColoState.EDU writes: > ><< I like "Road Movie to Berlin" mostly because it contains my absolute most > favorite TMBG lyric ever: "we were once so close to Heaven, Peter came > out and gave us medals, declaring us the nicest of the damned." > >> > Quick question: exactly who is this Peter anyways? >~BatBrain, who didn't know who jason and the argonauts were either (I do now, >mind ye!) The Peter they're refering to is St. Peter who stands at the gates of heaven and determines who should be let in. By the way, when listening to the albums back-to-back, St. Peter gets refrenced in two songs in a row, in Dig My Grave. Kinda neat how the last song of Flood links with the First song of Apollo 18. -Jay ------------------------------ Message-ID: <00c901be27ee$79ce1040$f0d12581@oemcomputer> From: "kelspots" Subject: TMBG: Shrink-wrapped Flood Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 00:47:48 -0500 -----Original Message----- From: Feeny (Chris Campbell) I just got my Flood Vinal, Should I leave it in its shrink wrap, or play it? I want to play it, but isnt it worth more if I dont? NOT that I'd ever sell it;-) Well, it's only worth (monetarily speaking) whatever anyone is willing to give you. And if you're not going to sell it, then why not enjoy it? Amy :) Come trade with me! http://www.strangemud.net/~agreen/boots.html [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #13-15 ******************************