Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #13-16 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 13, Number 16 Wednesday, 16 December 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: Smartarses Non TMBG: Ayn Rand, Ayn Who? Re: Non TMBG: Ayn Rand, Ayn Who? Re: TMBG: Bag Of Groceries accidentally misunderstood Re: TMBG: Bag Of Groceries accidentally misunderstood II TMBG: Someday OTHERS will die and I'll get the monkey Re: TMBG: sigh... Re: TMBG: Someday OTHERS will die and I'll get the monkey Re: Non TMBG: Ayn Rand, Ayn Who? Re: Non TMBG: Ayn Rand, Ayn Who? Re: TMBG: road movie to berlin Re: TMBG: Someday OTHERS will die and I'll get the monkey TMBG: sexual innuendo Re: TMBG: Someday OTHERS will die and I'll get the monkey TMBG: XTC vs. Adam Ant Re: TMBG: Someday OTHERS will die and I'll get the monkey Re: TMBG: Someday OTHERS will die and I'll get the monkey Re: TMBG: road movie to berlin NONTMBG: The Young Ones Re: TMBG: XTC vs. Adam Ant Re: TMBG: Someday OTHERS will die and I'll get the monkey Re: TMBG: Someday OTHERS will die and I'll get the monkey Re: Non TMBG: Ayn Rand, Ayn Who? Re: TMBG: Someday OTHERS will die and I'll get the monkey Re: TMBG: Someday OTHERS will die and I'll get the monkey Re: TMBG: Someday OTHERS will die and I'll get the monkey TMBG: Schermerhorn and Leon Re: TMBG: road movie to berlin Re: TMBG: Schermerhorn and Leon TMBG: ERR::Karen bitchs:: And other things. Re: TMBG: Schermerhorn and Leon NON-TMBG: the return of jay! NON-TMBG: Soul Coughing Question Fwd: NON-TMBG: Soul Coughing Question Re: TMBG: ERR::Karen bitchs:: And other things. TMBG:our buddy Rhett TMBG:our buddy Rhett Re: TMBG: Schermerhorn and Leon Re: NON-TMBG: Soul Coughing Question Re: TMBG: ERR::Karen bitchs:: And other things. non TMBG: tmbg-ish band info Re: TMBG: Bag Of Groceries accidentally misunderstood II Re: TMBG: Schermerhorn and Leon Re: Non TMBG: Ayn Rand, Ayn Who? Re: TMBG: Schermerhorn and Leon Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: "Leon X. Deggs" Subject: TMBG: Smartarses Message-Id: <913706917.25796.82@excite.com> Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 23:28:37 PST >>PS Rhett: don't make such a foolish mistake again. > Ignorance is not the same thing as foolishness. Seems it is, as whoever wrote THIS tot has completely misunderstood what I meant. Because I think you've just made a fool of yourself by misunderstanding what was plainly in front of you. If I need explain myself, then I pity you. L. _____________ Leon X. Deggs _______________________________________________________ Get your free, private e-mail at http://mail.excite.com/ ------------------------------ From: "Leon X. Deggs" Subject: Non TMBG: Ayn Rand, Ayn Who? Message-Id: <913707070.4005.129@excite.com> Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 23:31:10 PST No, I ain't not never heard of Ayn Rand. Not every author makes it big in every country, you know. Although some would think I believe otherwise, I am NOT Mr. Knowitall. And I rarely read books people recommend to me because they think it may change my life outlook. I'd rather have them recommended for other reasons. So, thank you, but no thank you. :-) _____________ Leon X. Deggs _______________________________________________________ Get your free, private e-mail at http://mail.excite.com/ ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <7c508376.36761262@aol.com> Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 02:40:18 EST Subject: Re: Non TMBG: Ayn Rand, Ayn Who? In a message dated 12/15/98 2:32:06 AM, ldeggs@excite.com writes: >No, I ain't not never heard of Ayn Rand. Not every author makes it big >in >every country, you know. >Although some would think I believe otherwise, I am NOT Mr. Knowitall. > i'm in the states and i never heard of her.. if that means anything. sarah (not a book person) ------------------------------ From: "Leon X. Deggs" Subject: Re: TMBG: Bag Of Groceries accidentally misunderstood Message-Id: <913708248.3399.814@excite.com> Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 23:50:48 PST Leon X. Deggs wrote: >>It's been known that songs have had to be altered due to their >>content. >>So why not song titles? Garrett M Liggett wrote: >A perfect example was the whole NyQuil Driver/AKA Driver thing. Exactly. And some songs were even banned cos of their titles; like Japanese Boy by Natasha. It was apparently too racist. Hmm! Simply because the people at BBC Radio were offended by 'sail beneath your skirt' was 'Statue Of Liberty' banned. And also because of the words 'abortion' (laster changed to 'absorption' [as they speak about absorption]) and 'wretching' (later changed to 'thretching' [saw him thretching over our fence]), was a re-recorded version of 'Respectable Street' required. Censorship is alive and well and living in old men's heads. L. _____________ Leon X. Deggs _______________________________________________________ Get your free, private e-mail at http://mail.excite.com/ ------------------------------ From: "Leon X. Deggs" Subject: Re: TMBG: Bag Of Groceries accidentally misunderstood II Message-Id: <913708399.13905.415@excite.com> Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 23:53:19 PST Also, Nik Heyward was facing lawsuits and severe problems with a song of his called 'Rollerblade'. He didn't know what to do. He was having to consider re-writing the song to remove the word - and entire point - until he came up with a winner. And this idea may also have worked for TMBG and NyQuill Driver. The song became known as 'Rollerblade (c)'. Why didn't TMBG think of it instead of confusing the foreigners by mentioning a product we've never heard of? Just a thought ... L. _____________ Leon X. Deggs _______________________________________________________ Get your free, private e-mail at http://mail.excite.com/ ------------------------------ From: "Leon X. Deggs" Subject: TMBG: Someday OTHERS will die and I'll get the monkey Message-Id: <913710819.24224.826@excite.com> Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 00:33:39 PST Morning. People. This is getting rather tiresome. It seems I am only partially speaking English - this is meant to prove to the Americans that I speak the ORIGINAL and BEST, not this American English we hear so much about. How come you people are misunderstanding me? I am writing clearly enough, dammit. Someone accused me of discouraging Newbies. I DID NO SUCH THING. I simply suggested to Mr. Rhett that he shouldn't announce his newbieness so loudly on a mailer that is obviously packed full of veterans. Understood? It was a message to Rhett, not an implication to Newbies. Thank you. If the man needs infor, then ask about sites. Not albums. A little common sense on Rhett's part (and on others who blindly read my post) could have saved this rather annoying confusion. Concerning Danielle's post on the subject of 'End Of The Tour'. I have it on good (or even great) authority that the subject of 'End Of The Tour' is actually _that_ that I claimed it was. Try looking around to find out these little snippets (as a good friend of mine did) and people can refrain from accusing others of seeking their own meanings from lyrics. And finally - the entire list breathes a sigh of relief, that this annoying English w*nker is finishing - concerning the Jesus vs. Flans posters. The big question that everyone seems to be missing is this: Why are the Jesus-Botherers voting/cheating? Surely the secular/non-secular swing we experience every now and again (that lasts for a few centuries) has proved that the 20th Century wasn't one in which Jesus and his friends played a massive role. And the Jesus-Botherers are trying to prove us all wrong by indulging in a little cheating. Flans shouldn't win. It would be crass. I think someone who should DEFINITELY win is Mother Theresa. She did much more than Jesus and Flans put together. And Hitler ... Ask me personally about my opinion of him. It may surprise. Anyone mentions Princess Diana and they suffer my wrath. Thank you and get your guns ready... L. _____________ Leon X. Deggs _______________________________________________________ Get your free, private e-mail at http://mail.excite.com/ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 03:20:12 -0600 (CST) From: bill tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: sigh... Message-ID: On Tue, 15 Dec 1998, Leon X. Deggs wrote: > How come you people are misunderstanding me? I am writing clearly enough, > dammit. And often enough, from the looks of it. > Someone accused me of discouraging Newbies. I DID NO SUCH THING. I simply > suggested to Mr. Rhett that he shouldn't announce his newbieness so loudly > on a mailer that is obviously packed full of veterans. > Understood? It was a message to Rhett, not an implication to Newbies. Am I Rhett? Is Mr. Green Jello, or Cap'n Helfgott, or Josh Buckland, or any of the rest of us? I know I'm not Rhett...odd how I got that message too. (oh, please notice what's dripping off of those words. Could it be sarcasm? Irony?) > Flans shouldn't win. It would be crass. I think someone who should > DEFINITELY win is Mother Theresa. She did much more than Jesus and Flans put > together. Admittedly, she should. And she probably will be up there, at least in the real Time poll. I have a funny feeling that Time isn't going to be using an online poll to figure out who the People of the Century (c) are going to be. I mean...I personally don't think they planned on using online input in the first place (hence that "This isn't what everyone thinks" rigamarole that they feed you at the bottom of the page when you vote), but jeez...using Ric Flair and John Flansburgh as People of the Century (c)? I doubt it. Crass, indeed... > And Hitler ... > Ask me personally about my opinion of him. It may surprise. I'm not sure it would surprise, actually. > Anyone mentions Princess Diana and they suffer my wrath. We agree on something here, Leon. Add my wrath to Mr. Deggs's on this one. Look, I call dibs here (maybe after Helfgott, but that's open to interpretation) on being misunderstood. Mr. Deggs...you may have been misunderstood, but I don't think you've been here long enough to see the countless "You know, I was actually kidding, you idiot" posts. I'm just sitting here now, waiting to be misunderstood. Ah...I love this list. The Rev np: Jimmy Eat World -- Static Prevails |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| | Reverend Bill Tatalovich | Home page: | | | http://students.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/ | | wt3@cec.wustl.edu |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ | personnel@kwur.wustl.edu | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <004901be281d$dbf3c060$cab3a4c1@squid> From: "Uncle Squid" Subject: Re: TMBG: Someday OTHERS will die and I'll get the monkey Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 11:26:56 -0000 >Morning. > >People. This is getting rather tiresome. It seems I am only partially >speaking English - this is meant to prove to the Americans that I speak the >ORIGINAL and BEST, not this American English we hear so much about. Hmmmm >And finally - the entire list breathes a sigh of relief, that this annoying >English w*nker is finishing You're not the only English Wanker here... there's me too :0) >Anyone mentions Princess Diana and they suffer my wrath. Right on brother, I'm not the only one who thinks she was a media hungry, money grabbing, publicity lovin', attention seeking, pathetic, ignorant witch then? ----------------------- Uncle Squid - Who cheated on his gal last night with his ex... whooops! www.keme.co.uk/~thelimes/cols/ ICQ: 12605535 ----------------------- "Lace humour with insult and add insult to injury" -- Uncle Squid ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 08:40:54 -0500 (EST) From: "(*)" Subject: Re: Non TMBG: Ayn Rand, Ayn Who? Message-ID: yes...don't worry about not knowing Ayn Rynd. I find that people who read her are generally young, republican, libertarian, or just plain ol' selfish and self centered. No offense to anyone who likes her, I just know that I could not be comfortable holding such irresponsible beliefs. She will not change your outloot. Also, and maybe her worst crime: her prose is TERRIBLE. okay. sorry, just had to chuck my two cents at everyone's head. love olivia ------------------------------ From: "Leon X. Deggs" Subject: Re: Non TMBG: Ayn Rand, Ayn Who? Message-Id: <913730115.11938.910@excite.com> Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 05:55:15 PST I don't worry about not having heard of certain people. Ayn Thing means as much to me as Kasslerlamm means to you. (it's a German word for a piece of meat in a certain variety) If people need to read selfish mush, then so be it. If they need someone to prove to them that what they do is okay, so be it. And I promised I wouldn't post again until the heat died down. I'M A LIAR!! Please don't heckle, it's sets my nerves on edge. L. _____________ Leon X. Deggs _______________________________________________________ Get your free, private e-mail at http://mail.excite.com/ ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 06:47:38 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: road movie to berlin Message-ID: <19981215.070900.4406.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> By the way, when listening to the >albums back-to-back, St. Peter gets refrenced in two songs in a row, >in Dig >My Grave. Kinda neat how the last song of Flood links with the First >song of >Apollo 18. am i the only person that listens to Miscellaneous T inbetween those two? technically it *was* released in '91 (just cuz the other songs had already been b-sides or what not previously). take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 07:08:57 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: Someday OTHERS will die and I'll get the monkey Message-ID: <19981215.070901.4406.3.TMBgirl@juno.com> >People. This is getting rather tiresome. amen :) >It seems I am only partially >speaking English - this is meant to prove to the Americans that I >speak the >ORIGINAL and BEST, not this American English we hear so much about. oh i must have forgotten to wish you a happy thanksgiving day... ah well, i'll just get a jump start on the holiday spirit and say happy 4th of july :) >Someone accused me of discouraging Newbies. I DID NO SUCH THING. I >simply >suggested to Mr. Rhett that he shouldn't announce his newbieness so >loudly >on a mailer that is obviously packed full of veterans. why not? then we can all attempt to help him. He did it in a polite fashion, without draging up anything that was in the FAQ, and merely wanted more information on a band that he recently heard and thought was pretty groovy... he came to teh mailing list, a place where we should *all* be willing to help him and give him as much info as possible... the fact taht it's mostly full of veterans makes it that much more "ok" for him to have posted such a question. All you're doing is discouraging newbies and i can only hope that Mr. Rhett wasn't, himself. >Understood? It was a message to Rhett, not an implication to Newbies. >Thank you. >If the man needs infor, then ask about sites. Not albums. why? Personally i know a helluva lot more about the albums than various websites that aren't even mine to be promoting... >A little common sense on Rhett's part (and on others who blindly read >my >post) could have saved this rather annoying confusion. i don't think there was any confusion, what you did was somewhat immature and mostly uncalled for. The list is a public forum and basically he can post whatever the hell he wants. He chose to post something relevant to tmbg (which more than most of us "veterans" can claim)... > and people can refrain >from >accusing others of seeking their own meanings from lyrics. okay, now i'm confused by your language... are you implying that your interpretation of TEOTT is the only correct one and everyone else should refrain from trying to find their own meanings from the lyrics? bud, you've got a lot to find out about the band if so... that's something that i found totally amazing about this group and prolly what's kept me hooked on them for so long... you can find some new way to interpret teh songs all the time. and if not that, find something in the songs that you never noticed before... >Flans shouldn't win. It would be crass. crass huh... i think this online poll is already a joke... but that's my own $.02 anything with jesus on top as a man of the century has got to be my first clue but hey... if all else fails then you can look down in the #3 and #4 spots :P take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3676A2A6.185A@pop.uky.edu> Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 09:55:50 -0800 From: thesfc Subject: TMBG: sexual innuendo There was a little discussion about what "the end of the tour" was about. I've always thought there was a lot of sexual innuendo in it. Especially "I was bent metal, she was a flaming wreck". I can go into more detail but I have to go take a final :-) Are there other sexually inexplicit tmbg tunes? the sfc -- ***********************SIGMORPHER V1.0************************ *"i'm running out of time i'm out of step and closing down * *and never sleep for wanting hours the empty hours of * *greed and uselessly always the need to feel again the * *real belief of something more than mockery if only i * *could fill my heart with love" Closedown, the cure * ***********************sfc software 97************************ ------------------------------ From: "Leon X. Deggs" Subject: Re: TMBG: Someday OTHERS will die and I'll get the monkey Message-Id: <913734425.19713.434@excite.com> Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 07:07:05 PST Now it seems that TMBGIRL has deemed it necessary to have a personal attack at me, the flame thrower turns in the other direction. And I choose to use the power to switch the damn thing off. I don't 'get my kicks' by slagging of people for theit opinions or words. TMBGIRL seems to, however. And we thank you for your immaturity. Playground humor and slanging matches are NOT welcome in my postbox. Thanks. > [snip] happy thanksgiving day. > [snip] happy 4th of july :) Yes, it's terribly amusing to be able to list certain American holidays. And what the American public (a general comment) chooses to do on certain days of the year would only interest me if I were there. Do you is necessary on the 4th July. It doesn't interest me and has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with anything important to this Mail list. >[Rhett asked for help] in a polite fashion I didn't say he didn't. People are STILL misindertanding me. Shall I spell it out? I said: I (personally) wouldn't have made that post for the simple reason I would be afraid being laughed at by people who (claim to) know more about TMBG than me. The first song I heard by TMBG was 'Birdhouse'. But the first album I heard was Apollo 18. And the first one I owned was Lincoln. I started wrong. But I started how I wanted to start. And that - dear reader - was my point. I think Rhett should make his own mistakes, cos the group will then mean more to him. And people have something against this? Hmm! >All you're doing is discouraging newbies Personal attack. Thanks. If the guy read my post and felt discouraged, he can have my hearty apologies. But if he's still here, there's a large possibility that he ignored me anyhoo. Which a lot of you will soon start doing. Which is also discouraging. Does my opinion not count simply because I see the world from another side of the pond? Surely not. Otherwise this freedom of speech and so on isn't worth the paper it's printed on. Websites are good for general information. Mailing lists are good at scaring people as to how much they don't know. Websites are inviting and give hard information, and give it fast. Mailing lists rarely give useful information as they are full of people largely arguing (as we are) or making irrelvant posts (as some may say I do). A Newbie will not be interested in which shirt Flans wore while recording the guitar part to 'Statue'. He wants to know general info, fast. Shoe size and favourite chewing gum is irrelevant tat. > What you did was somewhat immature and mostly >uncalled for. Thank you for the lesson in manners. But I don't need it. I think if anyone has done something childish and uncalled for it is the people that completely overreact to someone's 'opinion' on a - and I quote - "public forum". It's nice to be called immature at my age, but not in this way and CERTAINLY NOT for what I said. If Rhett never comes back to the list, but stays with the group, where's the problem? This is about success and fame for the band, not about hurting some poor guys feelings. If he's hurting I'll apologise. If not, tough shit. >He can post whatever the hell he wants. But it seems I cannot post whatever I want without being attacked by people with no idea of what I said. It's a double-edged sword, TMBGIRL. It'll help you and cut you. > okay, now i'm confused by your language... Seems I am NOT speaking English then (childish remark to match the original mail) >Are you implying that your interpretation >of TEOTT is the only correct one? No, I'm saying that THE interpretation I posted is the one from an official source. If Mr. Linnell were to be asked, we'd discover that this subject is the intended topic. People can read into lyrics what they want. I don't care. I just wanted to see whether people actually knew what Linnell was writing about. Anyone (with the intelligence), who has written a poem/song, will know that different people gather different meanings from your prose. Fiar enough. But they shouldn't ignore the REAL meaning. You can have TEOFT mean whatever you want, but the car crash is what it means to Linnell. Fullstop. (or Period, if you prefer.) >you've got a lot to find out about the band if so... I choose what I learn about the band. This doesn't make me ignorant to other things; just choosy. If you consider me to be less of a knowledgable source on TMBG, then you're welcome to your opinion. If we're going to be SO childish and start discussing (cos I'm way beyond arguing with people. We have something in common after all, TMBGIRL. We like/love TMBG) who knows what more than someone, it's way too dull and tedious. > I think this online poll is already a joke. That's why Flans shouldn't win. Period. (This 'American' is easy after a while) >but that's my own $.02 is that how someone can state an opinion without being mown down in a hail of verbal bullets? > take it easy, JOrdaN I try to, but people have a shout at me for having a different opinion. Why? I mean nothing personal here Jordan. If you feel I've attacked you personally, then we'll keep this from the postings. But I know how I mean it and also how I took what you said. But to prove my TMBG dedication: someone complained that TMBG never go to the West Coast (or wherever). How often do they come to the UK? Sure they'll be there next year, but the last time was about 6 years ago. And I'M STILL A FAN. L. _____________ Leon X. Deggs _______________________________________________________ Get your free, private e-mail at http://mail.excite.com/ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 11:09:17 -0500 (EST) From: "Jason A. Glastetter" Subject: TMBG: XTC vs. Adam Ant Message-ID: >So you're the second out of 7 people in the world who like that song? ;-) > >Laura (also in the special 7) I feel special. I know 2 people in that special 7 (myself included). I also really like Eric "wah-wah" Schimmer...er...I'm not even going to finsih trying to spell his last name, but he seems unliked among the list for some reason.... jason "America is the home of the hypocrite" glastetter ========================================= http://www.poingly.com Home of the infamous Poingly online game! ========================================= ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <199812151616.LAA12862@justice.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Someday OTHERS will die and I'll get the monkey Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 11:16:23 -0500 (EST) Hello, > >[Rhett asked for help] in a polite fashion > I didn't say he didn't. People are STILL misindertanding me. > Shall I spell it out? > I said: I (personally) wouldn't have made that post for the simple reason I > would be afraid being laughed at by people who (claim to) know more about > TMBG than me. > The first song I heard by TMBG was 'Birdhouse'. But the first album I heard > was Apollo 18. And the first one I owned was Lincoln. > I started wrong. But I started how I wanted to start. > And that - dear reader - was my point. > I think Rhett should make his own mistakes, cos the group will then mean > more to him. And people have something against this? > Hmm! I'm curious, why would you be afraid of being laughed at by people who claim to know more about TMBG than you? If you join a mailing list your intent is to learn more about the band, assuming that you know less than the combined knowledge of everyone else on the list. Logic dictates that you'll want to learn more about the band and learn about the list people's experiences with TMBG. Do you have a certain built in insecurity that people will instantly laugh at you for asking for information? I realize websites are good for information, but why would you have joined the list if you could merely get the information from websites such as www.tmbg.com or www.tmbg.org? And even if you didn't know the addresses to such websites, wouldn't it be a reasonable request to ask for these sites and for more information from the list? Sure, certain mailing lists have a reputation for being a bit neurotic, but doesn't it seem like you are being rather insecure? I don't know if tmbgirl was making a direct attack on you so much as defending Mr. Rhett for these reasons. Sure every newbie will make mistakes until they learn more about the band and the people on the list, but I don't think there was provocation for a scolding in regards to his simple statement of being a newbie. -Matt -- Matt James mjames@justice.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD ------------------------------ Message-Id: <15DEC98.12388999.0370.MUSIC@MARISTB.MARIST.EDU> Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 11:28:16 EST From: Misty Subject: Re: TMBG: Someday OTHERS will die and I'll get the monkey Leon sed: tack >Yes, it's terribly amusing to be able to list certain American holidays. And >what the American public (a general comment) chooses to do on certain days >of the year would only interest me if I were there. >Do you is necessary on the 4th July. It doesn't interest me and has >ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with anything important to this Mail list. and then later on he sed: > >> I think this online poll is already a joke. >That's why Flans shouldn't win. Period. >(This 'American' is easy after a while) > Well, now, it seems to me that your problem isn't so much that you have now realized the error of your ways and are attempting to cover it up by saying that you never made the error. Rather, your beef seems to have something to do with America herself. This is evident not just in this post but in previous posts of yours. Well, They Might Be Giants is an American band. Born and bred in New York, in fact. Since they're an American band, you have to expect that a lot of the people on this list are going to be American. SO DON'T GO BASHING AMERICA, AMERICANS OR AMERICAN ENGLISH. If this were a mailing list about Mr. Bean or The Young Ones or some other British show that also happens to have caught on in America, then the situation would be reversed. But until it is, please keep your anti-American comments to yourself. Happy Holidays, Misty ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 11:45:19 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: road movie to berlin In a message dated 98-12-14 23:13:27 EST, Batbrain99@aol.com writes: > > Quick question: exactly who is this Peter anyways? This would be Saint Peter, of Christian theology. Supposedly, Pete sits outside the gate of Heaven, letting all the good fokes in, and giving the boot, the root, the radicals to the bad ones. ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: <8873e3ec.36769546@aol.com> Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 11:58:46 EST Subject: NONTMBG: The Young Ones > If this were a mailing list about Mr. Bean or > The Young Ones or some other British show I just wanted to say that The Young Ones kicked ass. That's all. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981215181758.28403.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Todd Wetherbee" Subject: Re: TMBG: XTC vs. Adam Ant Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 10:17:56 PST >>So you're the second out of 7 people in the world who like that song? ;-) >> >>Laura (also in the special 7) > >I feel special. I know 2 people in that special 7 (myself included). I >also really like Eric "wah-wah" Schimmer...er...I'm not even going to >finsih trying to spell his last name, but he seems unliked among the list >for some reason.... > Yeah, I always thought that Schermerhorn brought the funk. I haven't heard any opposing viewpoints on this. Not to open an old thread, but what's not to like? And on the XTC vs Adam Ant thing - I didn't like that song until I heard it live - I also disagree with whoever said the STD version is too similar to the album version - I think it brings a lot more energy and style. Farside ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: linnel@snet.net Message-Id: <199812151949.OAA26801@pop.snet.net> Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 14:46:11 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Someday OTHERS will die and I'll get the monkey > >And finally - the entire list breathes a sigh of relief, that this annoying > >English w*nker is finishing > > You're not the only English Wanker here... there's me too :0) I was conceived in England... but i suppose that doesn't count, now does it? -jen ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 15:29:44 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Someday OTHERS will die and I'll get the monkey In a message dated 12/15/98 9:16:13 AM, tmbgirl@juno.com writes: >>Flans shouldn't win. It would be crass. > >crass huh... i think this online poll is already a joke... but that's >my >own $.02 >anything with jesus on top as a man of the century has got to be my first >clue but hey... if all else fails then you can look down in the #3 and >#4 spots :P yup. that's what everyone has to remember. think back to the 'most beautiful people' poll. ok, well, that was a little more legit to vote a Giant in, because we *do* think they are beautiful (well some of us do ;)) ... but leaving lists like this to people online to determine is ludicrous.. even if we had nothing to do with it, there'd still be ric flair and eric cartman and jesus (no matter what your religion, or lack thereof, you have to realize that unless there was a famous person from 1900-2000 with the name jesus christ... he isn't eligible) ... it's not hurting anyone, and it is a little publicity for the band. sarah ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 15:33:02 -0500 Subject: Re: Non TMBG: Ayn Rand, Ayn Who? Message-ID: <19981215.153749.-261233.0.gray42@juno.com> From: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) On Tue, 15 Dec 1998 08:40:54 -0500 (EST) "(*)" writes: >yes...don't worry about not knowing Ayn Rynd. I find that people who >read >her are generally young, umm., 18 is probably considered young so I guess I am. republican, nope libertarian, yup or just plain ol' >selfish and self centered. uh, sometimes I feel as tjough I try to please others just a little to much, and am a very humble person. I don't think individuallism is selfish. I don't want to live in a society of robots, so I try to be as different and individual as possible (in certain respects). No offense to anyone who likes her, none taken ;) I just >know that I could not be comfortable holding such irresponsible >beliefs. Well it's a nice idea if you ever wanna build a rocket ship, and fly to the nearest planet, free of taxes. Totally live for yourself, die young, and know you did it all yourself. I see her books as being a good esteem builder if you are ever feeling battered down by the world. Mysterio Gal (completely out to lunch in squaresville) "often washed- seldom clean," --Jack M. Brewer MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 She will not change your outloot. Also, and maybe her worst >crime: her prose is TERRIBLE. > >okay. sorry, just had to chuck my two cents at everyone's head. > > >love >olivia > > ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 16:14:53 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Someday OTHERS will die and I'll get the monkey In a message dated 12/15/98 10:09:39 AM, ldeggs@excite.com writes: >Now it seems that TMBGIRL has deemed it necessary to have a personal attack >at me, the flame thrower turns in the other direction. uh, "dude"? chill? okay? pretty sure it was sarcasm, something you're going to find abundant here on this list. and another thing, you seem to be a little over sensitive to things.. i admit i don't read ever word of every message, but i can see you seem to be jumping on everything.. *and* also, there are people here from many other countries, and you're far from being the only brit on this list. i think that's all.. sarah ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <5871db59.3676d24d@aol.com> Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 16:19:09 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Someday OTHERS will die and I'll get the monkey In a message dated 12/15/98 10:09:39 AM, ldeggs@excite.com writes: >The first song I heard by TMBG was 'Birdhouse'. But the first album I heard >was Apollo 18. And the first one I owned was Lincoln. >I started wrong. But I started how I wanted to start. WRONG?! now you're just being an idiot. i hold josh buckland in higher stature than you. rhett, wherever you went, we're not all narrow minded.. >I said: I (personally) wouldn't have made that post for the simple reason >I >would be afraid being laughed at by people who (claim to) know more about >TMBG than me. i'd be afraid to see what other lists you're on.. because here, we don't laugh at people for knowing what they can't know... rhett was trying to find information, as i did a few years ago and many others have done. you have to start somewhere. sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3676DE8C.36B6E994@maristb.marist.edu> Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 17:11:24 -0500 From: "Dominick Giordano Jr." Subject: Re: TMBG: Someday OTHERS will die and I'll get the monkey > In a message dated 12/15/98 10:09:39 AM, ldeggs@excite.com writes: > > >Now it seems that TMBGIRL has deemed it necessary to have a personal attack > >at me, the flame thrower turns in the other direction. Why doesn't this guy just shut the hell up, just let it go. You made an ass of yourself. Now drop it before you continue to humilate yourself. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3676DFEB.1F4CE53F@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 17:17:15 -0500 From: Chad Maloney Subject: TMBG: Schermerhorn and Leon Todd Wetherbee wrote: > Yeah, I always thought that Schermerhorn brought the funk. I haven't > heard any opposing viewpoints on this. Not to open an old thread, but > what's not to like? I think the general notion that the list dislikes Schermerhorn is more because a couple well-respected and vocal list members don't like him much as a member of TMBG and speak up when prompted. Come on, Lawrence. What have you been doing lately? I mean, this is a great chance to slam Schermerhorn here and you are missing it *grin* Of course, I could be vice-president of the Get Schermerhorn the Hell Out of TMBG club. I didn't like him either. Not that he's a bad person or anything and he does some good stuff in Mono Puff, but if you saw some shows in the Schermerhorn era you may understand me here. He didn't fit in at all. He was flash and glimmer and just waited for his chance to solo. Sometimes he'd drown Flansy out with his electric chops wailing over the rest of the band. In my opinion he didn't fit with the style TMBG were doing... Sarah said: > WRONG?! now you're just being an idiot. i hold josh buckland in higher stature > than you. Wow! Harsh. *grin* I guess if our bud Leon has gotta take it out on someone, it might as well be Jordan. She can take it and she knows we all love her *grin* Leon's probably just another one of those people who comes on the mailing list for about a week to shout and yell and then leaves never to be seen again. Whatever happened to Malcolm MacTavish? We haven't had a good argument about Moxy Fruvous in a long time :d Tinkerty Tonk[1], Chad [1] Credit to Richard Butterworth for that one ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 17:13:03 -0600 From: "Jay G." Message-ID: <756plm$kh5$1@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Organization: They Might Be Giants, Unofficially http://www.tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: road movie to berlin tmbgirl@juno.com wrote in message <19981215.070900.4406.0.TMBgirl@juno.com>... > By the way, when listening to the >>albums back-to-back, St. Peter gets refrenced in two songs in a row, >>in Dig My Grave. Kinda neat how the last song of Flood links with the >>First song of Apollo 18. > >am i the only person that listens to Miscellaneous T inbetween those two? > technically it *was* released in '91 (just cuz the other songs had >already been b-sides or what not previously). > >take it easy, JOrdaN >http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html Actually, since I bought THEN: The Early Years, The order I listen to them is: THEN, Flood, Apollo 18, John Henry, Factory Showroom, and Severe Tire Damage. Before THEN I think I placed Misc. T inbetween Lincoln and Flood, just because the songs are from the Bar None era, and fit better there then between Flood and Apollo, where it sounds out-of place in the musical evolution of the band. -Jay ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 18:16:45 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Schermerhorn and Leon Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 15-Dec-98 TMBG: Schermerhorn and Leon by Chad Maloney@rosevc.rose > I think the general notion that the list dislikes Schermerhorn is more > because a couple well-respected and vocal list members don't like him > much as a member of TMBG and speak up when prompted. Come on, Lawrence. > What have you been doing lately? I mean, this is a great chance to slam > Schermerhorn here and you are missing it *grin* I've been going to TMBG concerts and listening to Dan Miller's kickass lead guitar work that fits in very well with TMBG's style. :) > Of course, I could be vice-president of the Get Schermerhorn the Hell Out > of TMBG club. I didn't like him either. Not that he's a bad person or > anything and he does some good stuff in Mono Puff, but if you saw > some shows in the Schermerhorn era you may understand me here. He didn't > fit in at all. He was flash and glimmer and just waited for his chance > to solo. Sometimes he'd drown Flansy out with his electric chops wailing > over the rest of the band. In my opinion he didn't fit with the style TMBG > were doing... exactly. plus he would always go to the front of the stage for his solo - which is not to say Dan doesn't, but Eric did it with an attitude. Dan just plays his guitar. Eric looked like a rock'n'roller, which, let's face it, TMBG aren't. Eric Schermerhorn was an excellent guitar player. He was just annoying on stage. My only complaint now is that they seem to be overusing Dan's lead guitar... there are some sonsg that really don't need two guitars... (on a somewhat related note, does anyone else here think that Dan Miller looks like he's enjoying the TMBG shows a *lot* more than he enjoyed [or didn't enjoy] playing with Lincoln?) Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "You keep handing out horseshoes * This space inadvertently Horseshoes have gotta be tossed." -Moxy Fruvous * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: ERR::Karen bitchs:: And other things. Message-ID: <19981215.185736.4687.1.sailormorningstar@juno.com> From: sailormorningstar@juno.com (Karen M Majetich) Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 19:00:51 EST Generally, I think that I am a nice person. I try to say what I think is relevant, and right on this list. So...I guess that I've earned my moment to bitch about a NON TMBG related topic. I know that I'm most probably not speaking for the majority of the list, or even half of it for that matter. But I MUST SAY THIS (And yes..this will be a semi-rude post, so I apologize before hand Leon) Anyway, on behalf of myself, and a few others. I would like this Leon X Deggs to stop posting. He may be a nice person IRL, however, on this list he is quite an annoyance. I do not need the 50 or so emails I get from him each day! You post once or twice....hey even stretch it to three a day....AND THAT IS ENOUGH! MAY I REMIND YOU THAT THE IDEA OF THIS LIST IS TO talk about TMBG and a couple other things, and have a jolly good time. We do not need to hear about his petty problems with the other people on this list! He may mean well, in some of the things he says. But, and I'm sure this has a certain reasoning to it, IF PEOPLE ARE GETTING MAD AT YOU, AND YOU ARE UPSET THAT THEY DO NOT UNDERSTAND YOU...back down a little. So, please, for the SAKE OF HUMANITY, and my sanity. Stop posting, or stop posting so damn much! You don't need to respond to EVERY SINGLE thing that someone says. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate his presence on this list. He adds some very good opinions, however, some other people may like to be heard at times. Thank you! I have spoken. You may all bitch or praise me now. (Whoa...i must be pissed...scary) OK...bi-otch mode off Oh...by the way...on a more relevant topic....I have written this to someone before but I want to know every ones opinion on it. I've found that TMBG's earlier stuff is a lot better than they're newer stuff. No offense to them; but I hate the song "Dr Worm"....to me it's just boring. I mean, I love a lot of their newish songs.....like on Factory Showroom or John Henry. But, I dunno', I guess to me, it seems as though TMBG has sold out a little. They used to have songs that got right to the point and avoided all of the glitz of modern day music. But, if you listen (in their newer songs) the music seems out washed by a brass section and all that new fancy crap. In my opinion TMBG was better with just a moog synthesizer(my dad used to make those!), a drum machine, accordion, guitar, and stuff like that. I just wish that the Johns could go back to the way things were before. What do you guys think? (This all stemmed from me just getting "Then: The Earlier Years" It made me realize how much they have changed.) -Karen aka Celeste :P "Living Is Easy With Eyes Closed, Mis-Understanding All You See." -John Lennon....another fab John L! "I don't want the world, I just want your half." -From 'Ana Ng' ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: RabbiVole@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 18:49:28 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Schermerhorn and Leon hello and good evening, my dear friends, colleagues, and spiritual children. i'm sure you've missed me, as i would have if i hadn't seen me in a few months; but now your minds can be at ease: i make my return, with as much splendor as need be for such a celebration. though i doubt i'd need any introduction on a face-to-face venue, my new email address requires that i show myself as the one true jay. rejoice! for now is the coming of jay! i regret my change from sirjamez@fuse.net; but sometimes things like that are necessary, even for gods. (yes, i look like jesus--so they say. my initials are identical to his: jhc. and don't you find it odd that i make my return in the christmas season? mwahaha, haha, ha. all you jehovas witness hide in your bomb shelters. it's time.) now, to business. mr. solomon wrote: << I've been going to TMBG concerts and listening to Dan Miller's kickass lead guitar work that fits in very well with TMBG's style. :) --snip quote-- exactly. plus he would always go to the front of the stage for his solo - which is not to say Dan doesn't, but Eric did it with an attitude. Dan just plays his guitar. Eric looked like a rock'n'roller, which, let's face it, TMBG aren't. Eric Schermerhorn was an excellent guitar player. He was just annoying on stage. >> i was not around for schermerhorn era tmbg, but the little bit i could hear on std makes me yearn for some way to travel back: he gave something to the band bringing simple tears to my eyes. of course he waited eagerly for his solo; of course he drowned out flansy. he was the lead guitarist, and i would have it no other way. it seems most get angry because flansy was outclassed. i say that not to be mean (i love flansy more than he'd feel comfortable with), but to show a simple point: flansburgh is not a great guitar player, and, though his music was written with simplicity in mind from its commencement, more musical ability--in the eric's corporeal form--did nothing to hurt anyone i've seen the new dan. it's odd; i could live without him. perhaps not flashy enough, eh? well .. eric wasn't the best guitarist, either, mind you--and hardly the flashmeister most give him credit for. at least, from what i've heard. peace, love, and good happiness stuff, jay. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 17:39:16 -0700 (MST) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: NON-TMBG: the return of jay! Message-ID: On Tue, 15 Dec 1998 RabbiVole@aol.com wrote: (snip) > the one true jay. rejoice! for now is the coming of jay! i regret my > change from sirjamez@fuse.net; but sometimes things like that are > necessary, even for gods. jay!! welcome back, my friend! i have indeed missed you. --jim kuemmerle, who loves reunions of this kind... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/zivio/ ------------------------------ From: ErgoTM@aol.com Message-ID: <60113310.3676fb09@aol.com> Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 19:12:57 EST Subject: NON-TMBG: Soul Coughing Question At the beginning of Down to This (by Soul Coughing for those of you who didn't know) what does the deep voice say, it sounds to me like "Cold static maggot", but I am guessing and will be the first to admit it is probably wrong. On an unrelated note, I am taking a little survey and want to know how many out there have seen Labyrinth starring David Bowie. Jeff "Woohoo...quotes" Craig ------------------------------ From: ErgoTM@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 19:44:40 EST Subject: Fwd: NON-TMBG: Soul Coughing Question [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (message/rfc822)] >Anyway, on behalf of myself, and a few others. I would like this Leon X >Deggs to stop posting. He may be a nice person IRL, however, on this >list he is quite an annoyance. I do not need the 50 or so emails I get >from him each day! You post once or twice....hey even stretch it to >three a day.... amen, i agree w/ you on your anti-leon stance...in fact, if there is *anyone* on this list that someone else *really* can't stand, he/she should be kicked off the list for that purpose. we can't have anyone posting opinions that might be different than our own, right? wrong. as much as i am not enjoying this leon fella, we can't make him stop posting simply b/c some people are getting very annoyed (me included). he does have as much right as anyone to post whatever he wants and all that, so those of you that are getting annoyed by him, become friends w/ your 'delete' button. (i was given that advice when i complained about all of the non-tmbg content.) i'm playing devil's advocate here -- anyone can post anything they want to this list, right? so let them. if you don't like it, ignore him. however, i'll go ahead and make an anti-leon comment, as i too am peeved by the 10-odd emails he once posted to the list one day... leon: stop being such an asshole! i won't go into it as much as i could, but you've said a *ton* of things that really makes you a 'wanker.' you don't like this mostly-american-tmbg list? start your own brit-tmbg list! nice use of the excuse of you being misunderstood, btw, that's an easy way to weasel yourself out of a lot...quit being so close-minded and being such an asshole to this list. [if you want to say something, email me privately, don't bother the list (like i'm doing!:P )] i have seen Labyrinth starring David Bowie, jeff. david. wagner. wagner@mindspring.com From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Tue Dec 15 20:07:46 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) id UAA29625 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Tue, 15 Dec 1998 20:07:46 -0500 (EST) Received: from imo18.mx.aol.com (imo18.mx.aol.com [198.81.17.8]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) with ESMTP id UAA29616 for ; Tue, 15 Dec 1998 20:07:44 -0500 (EST) From: ErgoTM@aol.com Received: from ErgoTM@aol.com by imo18.mx.aol.com (IMOv18.1) id RBXPa20423 for ; Tue, 15 Dec 1998 19:40:13 +1900 (EST) Message-ID: <6c76c4ef.3677016d@aol.com> Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 19:40:13 EST To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Mime-Version: 1.0 Subject: TMBG:our buddy Rhett Content-type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit X-Mailer: AOL 4.0 for Windows 95 sub 214 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: ErgoTM@aol.com I haven't seen Rhett since the whole deal about discouraging newbies started. Ever thought you might have forced him to leave the list, to sit cowering in his room spending his lonely and disillusioned nights listening to his one TMBG CD yearning for more. He cries himself to sleep waiting for the right time to ask TMBGirl if the reason we have to get a new list member is all his fault, and even though she says "no" he can't help but feel in some way responsible. HE'D LOVE TO FIX THE LIST BUT TMBGIRL SAYS SOMETIMES PEOPLE JUST STOP LOVING EACH OTHER AND HE GETS SUCKED FURTHER AND FURTHER INTO A WORLD OF LONELINESS AND SELF LOATHING. WHILE EVERYONE IN THE LIST ARE CRYING WHAT HAVE WE DONE TO OUR RHETT. AND THE FAMILY IS RUINED FOREVER!!!!!!!!! Sometimes you just have to vent. Thanks for your time. Jeff "Man, I'm funny" Craig From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Tue Dec 15 20:18:22 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) id UAA00708 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Tue, 15 Dec 1998 20:18:22 -0500 (EST) Received: from imo24.mx.aol.com (imo24.mx.aol.com [198.81.17.68]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) with ESMTP id UAA00697 for ; Tue, 15 Dec 1998 20:18:20 -0500 (EST) From: ErgoTM@aol.com Received: from ErgoTM@aol.com by imo24.mx.aol.com (IMOv18.1) id DTEHa19919 for ; Tue, 15 Dec 1998 20:05:29 +1900 (EST) Message-ID: Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 20:05:29 EST To: TMBG-LIST@tmbg.org Mime-Version: 1.0 Subject: TMBG:our buddy Rhett Content-type: multipart/mixed; boundary="part0_913770330_boundary" X-Mailer: AOL 4.0 for Windows 95 sub 214 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: ErgoTM@aol.com This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --part0_913770330_boundary Content-ID: <0_913770330@inet_out.mail.aol.com.1> Content-type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII --part0_913770330_boundary Content-ID: <0_913770330@inet_out.mail.aol.com.2> Content-type: message/rfc822 Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit Content-disposition: inline From: ErgoTM@aol.com Return-path: To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG:our buddy Rhett Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 19:40:13 EST Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit I haven't seen Rhett since the whole deal about discouraging newbies started. Ever thought you might have forced him to leave the list, to sit cowering in his room spending his lonely and disillusioned nights listening to his one TMBG CD yearning for more. He cries himself to sleep waiting for the right time to ask TMBGirl if the reason we have to get a new list member is all his fault, and even though she says "no" he can't help but feel in some way responsible. HE'D LOVE TO FIX THE LIST BUT TMBGIRL SAYS SOMETIMES PEOPLE JUST STOP LOVING EACH OTHER AND HE GETS SUCKED FURTHER AND FURTHER INTO A WORLD OF LONELINESS AND SELF LOATHING. WHILE EVERYONE IN THE LIST ARE CRYING WHAT HAVE WE DONE TO OUR RHETT. AND THE FAMILY IS RUINED FOREVER!!!!!!!!! Sometimes you just have to vent. Thanks for your time. Jeff "Man, I'm funny" Craig --part0_913770330_boundary-- From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Tue Dec 15 20:35:07 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) id UAA01682 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Tue, 15 Dec 1998 20:35:07 -0500 (EST) Received: from imo19.mx.aol.com (imo19.mx.aol.com [198.81.17.9]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) with ESMTP id UAA01673 for ; Tue, 15 Dec 1998 20:35:04 -0500 (EST) From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Received: from KdsInThHal@aol.com by imo19.mx.aol.com (IMOv18.1) id 6HTRa15048 for ; Tue, 15 Dec 1998 19:55:44 +1900 (EST) Message-ID: <71e159b3.36770510@aol.com> Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 19:55:44 EST To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Mime-Version: 1.0 Subject: Re: TMBG: Schermerhorn and Leon Content-type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit X-Mailer: AOL for Macintosh sub 189 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: KdsInThHal@aol.com In a message dated 12/15/98 6:20:05 PM, lps+@andrew.cmu.edu writes: >(on a somewhat related note, does anyone else here think that Dan Miller >looks like he's enjoying the TMBG shows a *lot* more than he enjoyed [or >didn't enjoy] playing with Lincoln?) yup.. in all my lincoln pics he seems to be pouting, but i have this adorable mono puff picture where him and the other ex-lincoln dan are looking at each other and smiling. :) schmekleckleheiniehorn: talented guitar player. *i* didn't like him; .. when the extra guy drowns out the actual meat of the band, it's time to say byebye. he doesn't fit with tmbg's style. of course, there's no word in english ( or at least american english! ha!) for their style... HMMmm. he was too loud.. send him to van halen. sarah ..... (next concerts.. doing the tmbgirl thing: DEC 29 BNL JAN 28 Sloan JAN 29 Sloan) From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Tue Dec 15 20:41:29 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) id UAA02326 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Tue, 15 Dec 1998 20:41:29 -0500 (EST) Received: from imo27.mx.aol.com (imo27.mx.aol.com [198.81.17.71]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) with ESMTP id UAA02317 for ; Tue, 15 Dec 1998 20:41:26 -0500 (EST) From: MrUsaJapan@aol.com Received: from MrUsaJapan@aol.com by imo27.mx.aol.com (IMOv18.1) id SXZLa12607 for ; Tue, 15 Dec 1998 20:17:12 +1900 (EST) Message-ID: <20143150.36770a18@aol.com> Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 20:17:12 EST To: tmbg-list@tmbg.com Mime-Version: 1.0 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Soul Coughing Question Content-type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit X-Mailer: AOL 4.0 for Windows 95 sub 205 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: MrUsaJapan@aol.com In a message dated 12/15/98 7:44:56 PM Eastern Standard Time, ErgoTM@aol.com writes: << At the beginning of Down to This (by Soul Coughing for those of you who didn't know) what does the deep voice say, it sounds to me like "Cold static maggot", but I am guessing and will be the first to admit it is probably wrong. On an unrelated note, I am taking a little survey and want to know how many out there have seen Labyrinth starring David Bowie. Jeff "Woohoo...quotes" Craig >> Hell, I can't say I know much about Soul Coughing except that thier new album has a weird cat on it. But Ive seen Laberynth about 20 odd times. "The rocks are my friends!" was that a poem or just an attempt to be different? Sean. From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Tue Dec 15 20:45:41 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) id UAA02551 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Tue, 15 Dec 1998 20:45:41 -0500 (EST) Received: from smtp.snet.net (smtp.snet.net [204.60.33.21]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) with ESMTP id UAA02541 for ; Tue, 15 Dec 1998 20:45:33 -0500 (EST) From: linnel@snet.net Received: from pop.snet.net (pop.snet.net [204.60.33.20]) by smtp.snet.net (8.9.1a/8.9.1/SNET-bmx-1.2) with ESMTP id UAA28169 for ; Tue, 15 Dec 1998 20:45:10 -0500 (EST) Received: from lifeline (sttn-sh6-port163.snet.net [204.60.53.163]) by pop.snet.net (8.9.1a/8.9.1/SNET-pop-1.2) with SMTP id UAA23516 for ; Tue, 15 Dec 1998 20:44:56 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: <199812160144.UAA23516@pop.snet.net> To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 20:42:02 -0500 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII Content-transfer-encoding: 7BIT Subject: Re: TMBG: ERR::Karen bitchs:: And other things. In-reply-to: <001701be288f$1116e4e0$31a545cf@computer> X-mailer: Pegasus Mail for Win32 (v3.01d) Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: linnel@snet.net OK. this has gone waaaaaaaaaaaaay too far. why don't you guys practice what you preach, eh? you talk about being mean to poor Rhett, but geez. this is pretty harsh stuff here. why don't you all just CALM DOWN and look things over, and see that maybe this is a misunderstanding that has been blown out of proportion. obviously, we all can't agree on everything all the time. perhaps Leon made a mistake. very nice of all of you to point it out. perhaps he meant it a different way... take that into consideration. no need for all this nit-picking at everything he says. i'm not taking sides here, i just feel very terrible both for Rhett and Leon for having to be pounded by anyone. to be on a mailing list, you have to be able to at least take a little critisism if you're going to post, because no one is perfect and everyone seems to be able to point out the flaws in everyone that makes it that way, but this really isn't necessary. now you've probably frightening Leon AND Rhett away... two people who we could have eaasily like had we avoided all of this mess. > > amen, i agree w/ you on your anti-leon stance...in fact, if there is > *anyone* on this list that someone else *really* can't stand, he/she should > be kicked off the list for that purpose. we can't have anyone posting > opinions that might be different than our own, right? wrong. as much as i am > not enjoying this leon fella, we can't make him stop posting simply b/c some > people are getting very annoyed (me included). he does have as much right as > anyone to post whatever he wants and all that, so those of you that are > getting annoyed by him, become friends w/ your 'delete' button. (i was given > that advice when i complained about all of the non-tmbg content.) i'm > playing devil's advocate here -- anyone can post anything they want to this > list, right? so let them. if you don't like it, ignore him. excellent advice. cheers. > however, i'll go ahead and make an anti-leon comment, as i too am peeved by > the 10-odd emails he once posted to the list one day... hey. i know many many respected people who have posted much more than 10 a day.... *coughHARFcough* including me when i had a different address before my computer (the vile thing) crashed. no one was THIS brutal. give the guy a chance. maybe politely say- how about you don't post quite as often, ok? instead of- YEAH! I REALLY HATE HOW LEON POSTS SO MUCH... YEAH! DIE! ANTICHRIST LEON! AHHHHHHHHHH! > leon: stop being such an asshole! i won't go into it as much as i could, but > you've said a *ton* of things that really makes you a 'wanker.' you don't > like this mostly-american-tmbg list? start your own brit-tmbg list! nice use > of the excuse of you being misunderstood, btw, that's an easy way to weasel > yourself out of a lot...quit being so close-minded and being such an asshole > to this list. [if you want to say something, email me privately, don't > bother the list (like i'm doing!:P )] funny. don't you think that you yourself are possessing some of the same qualities that our dearest friend leon was??? *hint- see the last line about bothering the list- hint* i'm not saying you're a bad person. i'm saying perhaps just because the fellow was trying to defend himself, there's no need to tear him apart. if you have a problem with the way he said something, why don't you ask him to clarify? remember- you can't fully judge someone from 2 e-mails or even 10 e-mails that they send. maybe he was having a bad day. sure, he shouldn't take it out on the list, but come on! we all make room for everyone ELSE to make mistakes... but not LEON... heaven forbid. i think i just expected you all to be a bit more understanding of the guy... not necessarily agree with everything he says, but don't take it so rough. > i have seen Labyrinth starring David Bowie, jeff. so have i and it was funny, jen From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Tue Dec 15 20:48:29 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) id UAA03078 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Tue, 15 Dec 1998 20:48:29 -0500 (EST) Received: from imo11.mx.aol.com (imo11.mx.aol.com [198.81.17.1]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) with ESMTP id UAA03067 for ; Tue, 15 Dec 1998 20:48:27 -0500 (EST) From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Received: from KdsInThHal@aol.com by imo11.mx.aol.com (IMOv18.1) id 9YUSa22941 for ; Tue, 15 Dec 1998 20:29:47 +1900 (EST) Message-ID: <48a70bd2.36770d0b@aol.com> Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 20:29:47 EST To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Mime-Version: 1.0 Subject: non TMBG: tmbg-ish band info Content-type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit X-Mailer: AOL for Macintosh sub 189 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: KdsInThHal@aol.com hey all; remember that band SNMNMNM i was touting a while banc (i copied the cd for some and i have more to copy.. if i haven't sent your tape yet, just.. keep waiting. i've been sick. not much tape dubbing.) www.snmnmnm.com there's sound samples and info and stuff.... soooo.. yup! sarah time for newsradio!! From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Tue Dec 15 21:40:08 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) id VAA06268 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Tue, 15 Dec 1998 21:40:08 -0500 (EST) Received: from f04n01.cac.psu.edu (f04s01.cac.psu.edu [128.118.141.31]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) with ESMTP id VAA06251 for ; Tue, 15 Dec 1998 21:40:04 -0500 (EST) Received: from ibm234 (ibm234.bd.psu.edu [146.186.53.82]) by f04n01.cac.psu.edu (8.8.7/8.6.12) with SMTP id VAA144526 for ; Tue, 15 Dec 1998 21:39:46 -0500 Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19981215213946.009117c0@EMail.Psu.Edu> X-Sender: jdf179@EMail.Psu.Edu X-Mailer: Windows Eudora Light Version 3.0.1 (32) Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 21:39:46 -0500 To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org From: Jason Fickley Subject: Re: TMBG: Bag Of Groceries accidentally misunderstood II In-Reply-To: <913708399.13905.415@excite.com> Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Jason Fickley At 11:53 PM 12/14/98 PST, Leon X. Deggs wrote: >Why didn't TMBG think of it instead of confusing the foreigners by >mentioning a product we've never heard of? >Just a thought ... As far as the legal issues go, I remember a newsletter where they said there was really only a small chance of legal trouble has they named the song NyQuil Driver and/or printed the lyrics, but, you know, anything to avoid a hassle. Also, I sadly lost the email address of the guy who was gonna make me a cd...if you read this, I'll be home for Christmas starting Wednesday, so send any emails to hotcha57@hotmail.com. (Yes, that's me, I never really distinguished that that was me, did I?) --Jason-- Then again, the 4 dashes have always been there :) From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Tue Dec 15 22:20:48 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) id WAA08781 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Tue, 15 Dec 1998 22:20:48 -0500 (EST) Received: from imo19.mx.aol.com (imo19.mx.aol.com [198.81.17.9]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) with ESMTP id WAA08772 for ; Tue, 15 Dec 1998 22:20:46 -0500 (EST) From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Received: from KdsInThHal@aol.com by imo19.mx.aol.com (IMOv18.1) id MFCa015050 for ; Tue, 15 Dec 1998 20:41:39 +1900 (EST) Message-ID: <6fc1f957.36770fd3@aol.com> Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 20:41:39 EST To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Mime-Version: 1.0 Subject: Re: TMBG: Schermerhorn and Leon Content-type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit X-Mailer: AOL for Macintosh sub 189 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: KdsInThHal@aol.com i feel like a fool for having to do this... i made a few mistakes. In a message dated 12/15/98 8:35:45 PM, KdsInThHal@aol.com writes: >schmekleckleheiniehorn: >talented guitar player. *i* didn't like him; .. when the extra guy drowns >out >the actual meat of the band, it's time to say byebye. he doesn't fit with >tmbg's style. of course, there's no word in english ( or at least american >english! ha!) for their style... HMMmm. he was too loud.. send him to van >halen. i shouldn't send this, but to clear up any confusion, in this here latter paragraph, it's about eric, not dan. i shouldn't have mixed my tenses. arrgh. >sarah >..... >(next concerts.. doing the tmbgirl thing: >DEC 29 BNL >JAN 28 Sloan >JAN 29 Sloan) that oughtta be feb 19, not jan 29. why i feel the need to correct this is just for myself. and off topicish -- along with the tmbg baby; bob odenkirk of mr. show just had a son as well, and steven page of bnl's wife is due.. todayish. heh. sarah From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Tue Dec 15 22:34:18 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) id WAA09530 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Tue, 15 Dec 1998 22:34:18 -0500 (EST) Received: from mail.utexas.edu (wb1-a.mail.utexas.edu [128.83.126.134]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) with SMTP id WAA09521 for ; Tue, 15 Dec 1998 22:34:15 -0500 (EST) Received: (qmail 13631 invoked by uid 0); 16 Dec 1998 03:33:59 -0000 Received: from dial-44-5.ots.utexas.edu (HELO default) (128.83.112.21) by umbs-smtp-1 with SMTP; 16 Dec 1998 03:33:59 -0000 Message-Id: <2.2.32.19981216032424.0103e198@mail.utexas.edu> X-Sender: mitcharf@mail.utexas.edu (Unverified) X-Mailer: Windows Eudora Pro Version 2.2 (32) Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 22:24:24 -0500 To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: Non TMBG: Ayn Rand, Ayn Who? Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Mitchell Harding At 08:40 AM 12/15/98 -0500, you wrote: >yes...don't worry about not knowing Ayn Rynd. I find that people who read >her are generally young, republican, libertarian, or just plain ol' >selfish and self centered. No offense to anyone who likes her, I just >know that I could not be comfortable holding such irresponsible >beliefs. She will not change your outloot. Also, and maybe her worst >crime: her prose is TERRIBLE. No offense to anyone who likes her, but if you like her, you're dumb. Hmmmm... I'm curious how you consider her beliefs to be irresponsible. Harf, Mitch http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~mitcharf/ http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~mitcharf/index.html "Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy Sunday afternoon." - Susan Ertz From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Tue Dec 15 22:34:26 1998 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) id WAA09574 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Tue, 15 Dec 1998 22:34:26 -0500 (EST) Received: from sumter.awod.com (sumter.awod.com [198.81.225.1]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.9.1/8.9.1) with ESMTP id WAA09557 for ; Tue, 15 Dec 1998 22:34:21 -0500 (EST) Received: from ctyner (wa0129.tnt1-56k.awod.com [208.140.98.129]) by sumter.awod.com (8.8.7/8.8.8) with SMTP id WAA24992; Tue, 15 Dec 1998 22:34:01 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from ctyner@clemson.edu) Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19981215223149.007a8b10@mail.clemson.edu> X-Sender: ctyner@mail.clemson.edu X-Mailer: Windows Eudora Pro Version 3.0.1 (32) Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 22:31:49 -0500 To: KdsInThHal@aol.com, tmbg-list@tmbg.org From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Schermerhorn and Leon In-Reply-To: <6fc1f957.36770fd3@aol.com> Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Adam Tyner At 08:41 PM 12/15/98 EST, KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: > >and off topicish -- along with the tmbg baby; bob odenkirk of mr. show just >had a son as well, and steven page of bnl's wife is due.. todayish. heh. Someone posted to the Treefort a few hours ago and said that Steve's baby boy was born a little while earlier today. I know you're on the digest, so I thought I'd give you a little advance info... ;-) -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.crystal-night.com/~ctyner/tuscadero.html http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ He-Man, Tuscadero, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, & more! ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #13-16 ******************************