Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #13-17 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 13, Number 17 Thursday, 17 December 1998 Today's Topics: Re: NON-TMBG: the return of jay! Re: TMBG: ERR::Karen bitchs:: And other things. Re: TMBG: Schermerhorn and Leon Re: TMBG: Someday OTHERS will die and I'll get the monkey TMBG: Rhett story NONTMBG: sigh... NONTMBG: Leon/Young Ones/A new name for sarah NONTMBG: sigh... NonTMBG: Ayn Rand justification... Re: TMBG: sexual innuendo TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ TMBG: Panic ye not Re: TMBG: Panic ye not TMBG: aggro Re: TMBG: aggro TMBG: Re: Someday OTHERS will die and I'll get the monkey NON-TMBG: 6 month anniversary TMBG: John Linnell Hello CD's Re: NON-TMBG: 6 month anniversary TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #13-16 Re: Non TMBG: Ayn Rand, Ayn Who? TMBG: Richard NON-TMBG: Labyrinth TMBG: Possible appearence on NPR Re: Non TMBG: Ayn Rand, Ayn Who? Re: Non TMBG: Labrynth Re: TMBG: One small step for a Flans.... Re: NONTMBG: sigh... Re: TMBG: ERR::Karen bitchs:: And other things. Re: NON-TMBG:Muppets (was Soul Coughing Question) Re: TMBG: John Linnell Hello CD's NON-TMBG: Labyrinth Re: NON-TMBG: Labyrinth Re: TMBG: Possible appearence on NPR Re: NON-TMBG: Labyrinth NON-TMBG: Movies TMBG: ::sigh:: - some TMBG content! Re: NON-TMBG: Movies TMBG: best albums of 1998 TMBG: non-tmbg: bombings... Re: NON-TMBG: Movies Re: NON-TMBG: Feebles (was:Muppets (was Soul Coughing Question)) Re: TMBG: best albums of 1998 Re: TMBG: ::sigh:: - some TMBG content! Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 18:39:05 -0700 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: the return of jay! Message-ID: <19981215.183912.4350.5.TMBgirl@juno.com> HEy HEY! i fear posting this as people are already bitching about leon posting too many times (something i don't see as a problem... but then again, i'm a fan of Mike Leffel) >jay!! welcome back, my friend! i have indeed missed you. but seriously, i think we should just speak for the entire list and say "it's great to have ya back!" and feel free to hop on the bandwagon and start flaming the ignorant fools :) the return of Jay can mean only one thing... the return of Leffel is coming soon :) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::i can feel it::: ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <15DEC98.24611465.0045.MUSIC@MARISTB.MARIST.EDU> Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 22:47:18 EST From: Misty Subject: Re: TMBG: ERR::Karen bitchs:: And other things. >remember- you can't fully judge someone from 2 e-mails or even 10 >e-mails that they send. maybe he was having a bad day. sure, he >shouldn't take it out on the list, but come on! we all make room for >everyone ELSE to make mistakes... but not LEON... heaven forbid. Well, I can't speak for everybody on the list, but my beef with Leon no longer stems from him chiding the newbie for just being curious about the band. As I said earlier, my beef with him is over the fact that, in nearly all of the posts of his that I've read, he's managed to insult America, Americans, and American English. I don't chalk that up to him having a bad day (as the anti-American remarks were made over the course of several days). I chalk that up to him being an elitist Brit. God bless America, my home sweet home. ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 18:21:32 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: Schermerhorn and Leon Message-ID: <19981215.182136.4350.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> >I guess if our bud Leon has gotta take it out on someone, it might as >well be Jordan. She can take it and she knows we all love her *grin* hehee... i guess this sums up my entire being on this list :) thanks chad :P and you see leon... everyone knows i do it just for the sake of giving the opposite viewpoint... my #1 pet peeve with people is whether or not they're close-minded (which is why i waste my time introducing the other side... whether i agree with it or not) #2 is whether or not they're fake (but my defintion of *fake* is a bit shady so) on a total side note, cahd's one of the people on the Moxy Fruvous NG that made me feel totally welcome over there... how ironic. ooh look... infiltration of the Fruvous NG here... >[1] Credit to Richard Butterworth for that one take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 18:17:09 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: Someday OTHERS will die and I'll get the monkey Message-ID: <19981215.182136.4350.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> >Now it seems that TMBGIRL has deemed it necessary to have a personal >attack >at me, the flame thrower turns in the other direction. #1 i was defending a poor, defensless newbie... i wouldn't waste my time flaming you... lord knows a newbie's not gonna be able to stand up for themselves on a list (and i'm going to misquote you here... but it's along the same lines) "full of veterans." yes, i consider myself a veteran... how many years have i been here? #2 i should just stop here because of all the kind souls that have already stood up for me (thanks guys!) and the point i was trying to make :) *BUT* (and i'm telling you this cuz you haven't been on the list too long) the first thing you'll learn about me is that i love to argue... i don't care what the hell i'm arguing about (member the "people should be allowed to swing at TMBG shows" thread? or more recently the "let us all post non-tmbg-relevant stuff" ) and on top of that you decided to attack me so here you go jack... right back at ya (one more thing... read everything i say light-heartedly... you'll be much happier in the end.) >And I choose to use the power to switch the damn thing off. >I don't 'get my kicks' by slagging of people for theit opinions or >words. i was just trying to let you know that you're being *extremely* close minded. I show you the opposite side and hope that you'll realize that your POV isn't the only one... you'll notice that all of the "veterans" that have replied to this message have agreed with what i said... we're all generally helpful people. SO don't go around claiming stuff about us "veterans" until you get your facts straight... comprende? >TMBGIRL seems to, however. >And we thank you for your immaturity. Playground humor and slanging >matches >are NOT welcome in my postbox. >Thanks. then don't read my e-mails... simple enough. And if you really don't like what i'm writing... unsubscribe from the list. Believe me, i'm not asking you to read my crap. (and yes, i admit... that's what it is). >Yes, it's terribly amusing to be able to list certain American >holidays. And >what the American public (a general comment) chooses to do on certain >days >of the year would only interest me if I were there. okay brotha... get used to it... the people on this list are obnoxious and that's what makes them totally amusing. Go read Leffel's posts (the most famous list member of all time). Or better yet... ask Mitch to start posting more often. (please?) >Do you is necessary on the 4th July. It doesn't interest me and has >ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with anything important to this Mail list. just like these letters... so... if you feel the great need to reply to this please do so privately. >>[Rhett asked for help] in a polite fashion >I didn't say he didn't. People are STILL misindertanding me. >Shall I spell it out? perhaps that's necessary since *no one* can comprehend the points you're trying to make... it always apears that you're saying one thing and then turnign around and chaning your mind trying to defend yourself. >I said: I (personally) wouldn't have made that post for the simple >reason I >would be afraid being laughed at by people who (claim to) know more >about >TMBG than me. we, the "veterans" of the list aren't *that* harsh. In fact, i think most of us here are *more* than willing to help someone find the information they need. >I started wrong. But I started how I wanted to start. wha? was i talking about any of this? my letter was about a newbie in fact i have no opinions what-so-ever about "floodies" or "non-floodies." >>All you're doing is discouraging newbies >Personal attack. Thanks. >If the guy read my post and felt discouraged, he can have my hearty >apologies. But if he's still here, there's a large possibility that he >ignored me anyhoo. which is pretty likely... you're approaching "buckland" status in my books... i can only imagine that you're close in other people's as well... well maybe not. >Does my opinion not count simply because I see the world from another >side >of the pond? Surely not. Absolutely not! you're opinion doesn't count because you see the world from one direct viewpoint and don't think about other people's. >Otherwise this freedom of speech and so on >isn't >worth the paper it's printed on. hehee... paper! >Websites are good for general information. Mailing lists are good at >scaring >people as to how much they don't know. i'm not scared... i don't think i ever was. it's almost reassuring that if i ever have a question about the band there's someoen out there that prolly knows teh answer. >Websites are inviting and give hard information, and give it fast. hehee... you haven't been on my computer lately have you? >Mailing lists rarely give useful information as they are full of >people >largely arguing (as we are) or making irrelvant posts (as some may say >I >do). amen! look we're getting somewhere... i actually agree with you! >A Newbie will not be interested in which shirt Flans wore while >recording >the guitar part to 'Statue'. >He wants to know general info, fast. and that's why there's the FAQ. i view the mailing list as a supplement to the FAQ. >Shoe size and favourite chewing gum is irrelevant tat. are you kidding! > I think if >anyone >has done something childish and uncalled for it is the people that >completely overreact to someone's 'opinion' ooh, way to pretend you're not trying to imply me.... go ahead and yell my name out like you already have done 1000 times is this message already TMBGIRL!!! oooh!!! on a - and I quote - >"public >forum". It's nice to be called immature at my age, well if you want me to think of you as elderly then rather than say "you acted immaturely" i'd say "remove the stick from your ass" (that way, i would, with no doubt, be more immature than you and thus... more likely to be younger than you) >If Rhett never comes back to the list, but stays with the group, >where's the >problem? the problem is that he may have some excellent ideas to contribute. Again, most of the "veterans" know that i remain on this list mostly for teh "what other music are you listening to" thread that appears once every so often. For all i know, he listens to some amazing group that i will never be introduced to otherwise because you scared him off the list. which reminds me... the man of my dreams up and gave me a CD to listen to today and i have yet to do so...so i'm gonna wind this down... >This is about success and fame for the band, did i mention i think you're a bit close-minded? there's so much more to this list. I feel like i've gotten to know a lot of super cool people through it... Sarah, Rev. Bill, Jim K., TDK, etc.... they all contribute excellent stuff to the list... and it's not all about promoting the band not about hurting some >poor >guys feelings. then why are you doing it? i think your post could have done nothing but make rhett feel unwelcomed (which would hurt my feelings) >>He can post whatever the hell he wants. >But it seems I cannot post whatever I want without being attacked hey, if you post it... it's up for discussion. that should be self-evident. >by >people >with no idea of what I said. state it a little more clearly and we won't have this problem. >It's a double-edged sword, TMBGIRL. damn you don't need to keep shouting out my name! softer softer! >It'll help you and cut you. and that's why it's so amazing. >> okay, now i'm confused by your language... >Seems I am NOT speaking English then (childish remark to match the >original >mail) did i ever claim that i wasn't a kid? I AM A KIDDIE!!! i'm immature at that. i appologize but there's really not much i want to do about it... >No, I'm saying that THE interpretation I posted is the one from an >official >source. If Mr. Linnell were to be asked, we'd discover that this >subject is >the intended topic no you wouldn't. want to know why? TMBG rarely, if ever, discloses what the *true* meaning behing their songs are. Be intimidated by my knowledge of thiss... you can listen to everyone of my bootlegs/interviews to be told the same. >. People can read into lyrics what they want. I >don't >care. I just wanted to see whether people actually knew what Linnell >was >writing about. see there you go contradicting yourself. you state that "we'd know that was the true meaning if we asked linnell" and then you go off asking if that *is* indeed what linnell had in mind when he wrote the song. erg! >You can have TEOFT mean whatever you want, but the car crash is what >it >means to Linnell. okie dokie... i'm just gonna smile and nod :) >I choose what I learn about the band. This doesn't make me ignorant to >other >things; just choosy. and very close minded on top of that. >If you consider me to be less of a knowledgable source on TMBG, then >you're >welcome to your opinion. not at all. If we're going to be SO childish and start >discussing (cos I'm way beyond arguing with people. oh now that hurts. We have something >in >common after all, TMBGIRL. We like/love TMBG) who knows what more than >someone, it's way too dull and tedious. but it's damn bun to argue and be obnoxious. >>but that's my own $.02 >is that how someone can state an opinion without being mown down in a >hail >of verbal bullets? obviously not... >I try to, but people have a shout at me for having a different >opinion. >Why? uh... arguing is fun? >I mean nothing personal here Jordan. If you feel I've attacked you >personally, then we'll keep this from the postings. >But I know how I mean it and also how I took what you said. the wrong way. smile when you read what i say. smile because you know i have nothing worthwhile to say or smile because i'm an oblivious fool. >But to prove my TMBG dedication: someone complained that TMBG never go >to >the West Coast (or wherever). >How often do they come to the UK? Sure they'll be there next year, but >the >last time was about 6 years ago. aw puddin. >And I'M STILL A FAN. i'm a fan... i drive hours on end to see them and i waste all my money flying various places to catch their shows. yes, I AM A FAN! take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: ErgoTM@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 23:37:17 EST Subject: TMBG: Rhett story I am sorry if you thought I was blaming you TMBGirl, I understand that Leon was the one who made the comments about Rhett. The (for lack of a better word or a thesaurus) story involving Rhett, had you in it because you were arguing with Leon and were the uh...Mom? in the story. Had Leon been in it he would have been the type you see on cops i.e. no shirt, beer resting on stomach, watching Jerry Springer, not at all surprised that the cops are in his house. No offense Leon. That just would have been you in the fictional exaggerated and not at all funny story (Do not fly to America and kill me Leon). Sorry for the confusion. Jeff "Dispenser of oversized humor suppositories" Craig P.S. lets see if I can send this message only once. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <005401be289b$8b8bf600$d1431ecf@default> From: "Green Jello" Subject: NONTMBG: sigh... Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 21:26:51 -0500 blah blah blah >Am I Rhett? Is Mr. Green Jello, or... blah blah blah I love it when I'm mentioned in other people's posts... this should definitely happen more often. Brother John Green Jello ------------------------------ Message-ID: <00b701be28a5$819fc900$d1431ecf@default> From: "Green Jello" Subject: NONTMBG: Leon/Young Ones/A new name for sarah Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 22:38:09 -0500 Leon, King of the Internet said: >People. This is getting rather tiresome. I've got a good idea Leon X Deggs... shut up! You're the one making this go on and on. WAIT!! Now I am! **giggles** boy, I wonder why you Brits have such a hard time with the Fourth of July??? Bum still hurt from that kicking you got? LOL >I have it on good (or even great) authority that... Wow! You do? I've NEVER heard that one before! So I'm going to stop my life simply b/c you have it "on good authority" that life is merely a figment of our imaginations? Think about it, man... if I listened everytime someone told me to b/c they had it "on good authority" that I was wrong, I'd have THE MOST BORING life. >English w*nker is finishing When did wanker become one of the 7 dirty words? >Anyone mentions Princess Diana and they suffer my wrath. I LOVE PRINCESS DIANA!!!!!!!!!! I wanted her to have 12 children by me and to make "sweet love down by the fire" to me every night. Now the dream is dead. Really, I couldn't stand her... but I want to hear what your wrath is. >Now it seems that TMBGIRL has deemed it necessary to have >a personal attack at me, the flame thrower turns in the other direction. >And I choose to use the power to switch the damn thing off. How's that? By slagging her back? You Brits have a funny way of NOT FLAMING someone by FLAMING them! >blah blah blah blah You sure do talk a lot. FIRST Misty said: >The Young Ones They rock... especially the episode where Neil gets killed and a bunch of new Neils grow in the compost pile. THEN sarah, Mistress of all that is truly good with the list said: >uh, "dude"? chill? ... >i think that's all.. >sarah Exactly! You made your point well, as usual sister sarah of the kids in the hall AFTER THAT some guy named Dominick said: >Why doesn't this guy just shut the hell up, just let it go. You made an ass of >yourself. Now drop it before you continue to humiliate yourself. Please be considerate of his pompous British ways and only refer to as an "Arse among men" LATER Karen bitched: >bitch bitch bitch bitch I laughed and laughed... honestly I didn't even read your TMBG related part, b/c I didn't care. I just loved the bitching. REPLIES came from David Wagner: >you don't like this mostly-American-tmbg list? start your own brit-tmbg list! THAT list would suck... they would probably drink warm beer and complain about the quirky American words that the Johns use and how that if the Queen were to poot on the tellie it would be a better show than Fergie in a drug frenzy at a "fat clinic". Or something like that... I don't get the whole royalty thing... that and the "urban" format of MTV... oh!! and logarithms... and why old women collect cats... and actually quite a few other things. I laughed when Jeff "Man, I'm funny" Craig sent his post in. FINALLY jen said: >OK. this has gone waaaaaaaaaaaaay too far. why don't you guys >practice what you preach, eh? you talk about being mean to poor >Rhett, but geez. this is pretty harsh stuff here. why don't you all >just CALM DOWN and look things over, and see that maybe this is >a misunderstanding that has been blown out of proportion. But that wouldn't be any fun. Brother John Green Jello, King of sarcasm and wit... ------------------------------ Message-ID: <00da01be28a6$55aaed60$d1431ecf@default> From: "John Lambert" Subject: NONTMBG: sigh... Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 22:44:06 -0500 blah blah blah >Am I Rhett? Is Mr. Green Jello, or... blah blah blah I love it when I'm mentioned in other people's posts... this should definitely happen more often. Brother John Green Jello ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001b01be28b8$c0cff420$53c708d1@idiotnot.visi.net> From: "S. Bergeron" Subject: NonTMBG: Ayn Rand justification... Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 00:55:55 -0500 I will jump to Ms. Rand's defense here and address some of the misconceptions that have been construed on the list about her. 1. Ayn Rand is not so much a novelist, but a philosopher. She is probably the greatest twentieth century American philosopher. While she is not widely known, she most likely will be soon. A couple of German philosophers from the nineteenth century, Marx and Engels, are known worldwide more than a century later. 2. She did preach selfishness, however, selfishness is not a necessarily negative thing. She believed that the individual had inherit potential to be noble, and that individuals didn't gain their value from others' opinions. She believed that an individual working for his own happiness, without coercing others, was the epitome of morality. I don't think even the most vocal altruist could disagree with this. Also key to objectivism, her philosophy, was a belief in the supremacy of reason. 3. Yes, initially prose left something to be desired. There is a reasonable explanation for that; English was her *third* language. Her family left the Soviet Union shortly after the revolution and moved to Germany. She came to the United States in her late teens. By the time she wrote "Atlas Shrugged," her prose was very good. You have to have a pretty good command of the language to write a book that big (gawd, it took me nearly two months to slog through the thing)! 4. Ms. Rand was a diehard Republican, one of Barry Goldwater's biggest supporters. She was not fond of the Libertarian Party, calling them "Objectivist Hippies." Her true disciples are generally not eighteen. They are older (she died in 1982). I suppose her most famous follower is Alan Greenspan, the chairman of the Federal Reserve. By the way, I'm a twenty-something Libertarian, who admires Ms. Rand, and her philosophy, without adopting all of it. Indeed, I am not an atheist, one of her biggest requirements of her followers. Another note, I'm a philosophy minor (Pre-Law major). Jack Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net bluedawg@tmbg.org "Someday, somebody else besides me will call me by my stage name."--Doctor Worm http://www.tmbg.org/~bluedawg/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <002a01be28b9$6fc38d20$53c708d1@idiotnot.visi.net> From: "S. Bergeron" Subject: Re: TMBG: sexual innuendo Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 01:00:49 -0500 :There was a little discussion about what "the end of the tour" was :about. I've always thought there was a lot of sexual innuendo in it. :Especially "I was bent metal, she was a flaming wreck". I can go into :more detail but I have to go take a final :-) Are there other sexually :inexplicit tmbg tunes? Um...yes...this was discussed before. I believe that the discussion revolved around the "people" to which Mr.. Linnell referred being sperm. "We were sailing along with the people driving themselves to distraction inside me . . . You opened the door and expelled all the people" As for other songs with innuendo...I'd have to say "Shoehorn with Teeth." :-) Jack Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net bluedawg@tmbg.org "Someday, somebody else besides me will call me by my stage name."--Doctor Worm http://www.tmbg.org/~bluedawg/ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 03:15:01 -0500 (EST) From: Majordomo Message-Id: <199812160815.DAA28319@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT When you send a message to the list you are sending messages to hundreds of people. Make sure that your message is one that hundreds of people need to read. Do not send "me too" messages to the list. Do not send messages about non-tmbg topics to the list. Hold private conversations in private e-mail. Sending messages that the list administrator deems off topic will result in your being removed from the list. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ From: "Leon X. Deggs" Subject: TMBG: Panic ye not Message-Id: <913799847.15126.93@excite.com> Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 01:17:27 PST Leon is not going to make more than one post per newsletter. Promise. Leon will not overreact to someone's opinon, as it is exactly that. Leon only expects the same treatment from others. Leon will not get agitated at people misunderanding what he posts. It's his own fault for being unclear. Leon doesn't hate Americans; he simply hates people confusing his own Nationality with that of others. He doesn't want to lose his frail grip on the British identity. Leon wants to thank the people that called him names (asshole, among others). Freedom of speech was his point for some posts. Leon wants to thank the people that stood up for him, but wishes to emphasize: it wasn't necessary. Leon will only post TMBG related stuff after this post. Leon will beg anyone to send him Rhett's address so a personal apology can be made. (A copy can be posted to the mailing list if needed). Leon wants to prove he's a nice guy who's avoiding excuses. 'misunderstood' was a rotten tag. Leon thanks you for your time. Goodnight. L. _____________ Leon X. Deggs _______________________________________________________ Get your free, private e-mail at http://mail.excite.com/ ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <541d711e.36777bf9@aol.com> Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 04:23:05 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Panic ye not In a message dated 12/16/98 4:18:53 AM, ldeggs@excite.com writes: >Leon doesn't hate Americans; he simply hates people confusing his own >Nationality with that of others. He doesn't want to lose his frail grip >on >the British identity. i don't get it.. there are other british people here who don't use it as an excuse... and they don't bring it up every 5 minutes either. anyway.. don't be so insecure about it. i love the clash and the young ones. and mr. bean. >Leon wants to thank the people that called him names (asshole ye so welcome, asshole. :) --sister sarah of the kids in the hall (but lately, sister sarah of conan o'brien & the daily show! :) (well, the latter for only 2 more days)) http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 13:40:14 +0000 From: Vale L Subject: TMBG: aggro Message-id: <3.0.1.32.19981216134014.0075e9dc@bureau.ucc.ie> hi i've been a long time lurker (say3-4yrs) on this list and most times i just skim the messages for some new tmbg news/gossip/trivialities. but i feel compelled now to request that lbeggs NOT be kcked off the list - it sure is good to see abit of amusement/diversion/aggro on the list - oh sweet chords of disharmony how i have missed thee...i for one thinks it add a bit of zest -go leon go! bye for another while vale ps - and being from ireland i can direct both anti-american and anti-english comments -whooee (should i care to that is) ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 07:10:24 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: aggro Message-ID: <19981216.071028.4358.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> HEy HEY! >but i feel compelled now to request that lbeggs NOT be kcked off the >list - i totally agree here... i don't think leon or buckland should be kicked off... someday they may end up posting something worthiwhile to someone and if we throw 'em off we'll never know... >it sure is good to see abit of amusement/diversion/aggro on the list - >oh >sweet chords of disharmony how i have missed thee...i for one thinks >it add >a bit of zest -go leon go! oh and the people learn why i love to argue on mailing lists... but then again we could always have the "me too" posts. honest in real life i'm not this obnoxious... take it easy, JOrdaN "i never really wanted to swing at a TMBG show" http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html Last Album: SELF: Subliminal Plastic Motives :) ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981216163858.12842.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Scott Reed" Subject: TMBG: Re: Someday OTHERS will die and I'll get the monkey Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 10:38:58 CST Leon X. and other posters--- Please continue your discussion of Leon's behavior and everything offline please. What Leon may or may not have done was the list's concern when he posted it, but now it has become a bickerfest, and I and other members of the list are tired of it. If you would like to continue your discussion, I encourage you to write mass e-mails to all the parties involved, but please do not do it on the list. Personally, I take the digest version, and once it pops up and I see a giant e-mail where half the titles are in reference to a online shouting match, I tend to delete said e-mail, and miss information that I may have found useful. So, please, take your fight out of the list. Thanks Bjorky ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981216173138.14949.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Jason Fickley" Subject: NON-TMBG: 6 month anniversary Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 09:31:38 PST Sorry to rehash this horrible topic, but can you believe Christmas will be the 6 month anniversary of the suicide note? Seems like it was only yesterday....and for those of you who weren't around at the time, it's on Digest 7-28 if you wanna see what all the comotion was about, 'cause I'm not gonna post it here... Back at hotmail for the holidays, --Jason-- ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981216181808.26496.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Mike McGuire" Subject: TMBG: John Linnell Hello CD's Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 10:18:08 PST Does anyone out there have a CD burner that might be able to burn me a CD of State Songs and House of Mayors? I'm really anxious to get a good copy of these. Let me know, thanks *Mike* ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001701be2928$2b249140$99b3a4c1@squid> From: "Uncle Squid" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: 6 month anniversary Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 19:12:58 -0000 -----Original Message----- From: Jason Fickley To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: 16 December 1998 17:31 Subject: NON-TMBG: 6 month anniversary >Sorry to rehash this horrible topic, but can you believe Christmas will >be the 6 month anniversary of the suicide note? Seems like it was only >yesterday....and for those of you who weren't around at the time, it's >on Digest 7-28 if you wanna see what all the comotion was about, 'cause >I'm not gonna post it here... I don't think it's a good thing to trowel up past "incidents", I should know, I seem to remember a drunken mail I made which fills my gut with regret. I'm not just saying this because Leon is a fellow Brit or that I think Josh is a solid geezer, it's just the way things are in my mind. In my opinion, people (not only on this list) spend far too much of their lives looking back to the past and too the future that they are blinded to the here and now. I quote Ferris Beueller, "I've said it before and I'll say it again, life moves pretty fast, If you don't stop and take a look around once in a while, you could miss it". Thanks for your open ears. ----------------------- Uncle Squid who chose to forsake his Linnell hair cut for a shorter doo (which sadly reveals the old widow's peaks) www.keme.co.uk/~thelimes/cols/ ICQ: 12605535 ----------------------- "Lace humour with insult and add insult to injury" -- Uncle Squid ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 14:20:57 -0500 (EST) From: Kira A Thompson Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #13-16 Message-ID: Hey....stop sending me all your separate e-mails...they are pointless and i'm sick of it ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19981216112835.0308353c@mailbox.ucdavis.edu> Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 11:28:41 -0800 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: Re: Non TMBG: Ayn Rand, Ayn Who? >yes...don't worry about not knowing Ayn Rynd. I find that people who read >her are generally young, republican, libertarian, or just plain ol' >selfish and self centered. I diplomatically refuse to read any more Ayn Rand. I recognize myself in the people she despises. >Whatever happened to Malcolm MacTavish? We haven't >had a good argument about Moxy Fruvous in a long time He probably realized we were right. :) No, j/k. >On an unrelated note, I am taking a little survey and want to know how many >out there have seen Labyrinth starring David Bowie. My sister and I used to watch it a lot. We didn't know who David Bowie was (I still don't know, except for a vague notion that he's an avant-garde singer of some sort); we were mostly in it for the story and the wonderful Jim Henson Creature Shop characters. --nicole twn *** "Today you'll be learning how to model your love lives as a series of second-order ordinary differential equations."--former math professor Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn ICQ #11984736 Public PGP key at http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn/key.html ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <199812161925.OAA31647@justice.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Richard Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 14:25:27 -0500 (EST) > >[1] Credit to Richard Butterworth for that one Is Richard's mum the maple syrup queen? ;) -- Matt James mjames@justice.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 14:53:41 EST Subject: NON-TMBG: Labyrinth In a message dated 12/15/98 7:44:56 PM Eastern Standard Time, ErgoTM@aol.com writes: << I am taking a little survey and want to know how many out there have seen Labyrinth starring David Bowie >> I've seen it! I love that movie, even thought I think it could be done much better now adays. We watched it in this special art class that I took at school to see the pupets and stuff and we had to draw our own creature for the movie, it was fun. =) -Amber the Transcendent Mistress of the Known Cosmos P.S. David Bowie Rocks ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 15:57:34 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Possible appearence on NPR Message-ID: <19981216.155755.-172075.1.gray42@juno.com> From: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) My mom, told me that she was listening to NPR, and she thought she heard something about They Might Be Giants on NPR Saturday, at 8:00 P.M. Everyone keep your ears peeled just in case this rumor holds truth. Mysterio Gal (completely out to lunch in squaresville) "often washed- seldom clean," --Jack M. Brewer MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36782147.B1CDE73@cnr.edu> Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 16:08:23 -0500 From: "Sarah Starr" Subject: Re: Non TMBG: Ayn Rand, Ayn Who? > >On an unrelated note, I am taking a little survey and want to know how many > >out there have seen Labyrinth starring David Bowie. > I had a babysitter who would bring the tape of Labyrinth over every time she sat for my sister and I....I must have seen that movie thirty times in like 6 months. Both my sis and I really liked it though. :) sarah faye ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 17:03:22 -0500 Subject: Re: Non TMBG: Labrynth Message-ID: <19981216.170502.-172075.3.gray42@juno.com> From: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) Nee Hee Hee, you mean, what is the estimate of the number of times I have seen this movie? Uh, 10 years, a few times a year, and a whole bunch lately. Wow! That adds up to a LOT! Hell, Labrynth got me into David Bowie, it made me the person I am today, and it taught me how to live. As far back as I can remember, I've always known Labrynth, considering that my memories are not in chronolgical order :) Mysterio Gal (completely out to lunch in squaresville) "often washed- seldom clean," --Jack M. Brewer MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 16:15:09 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: One small step for a Flans.... Message-ID: <19981216.170502.-172075.2.gray42@juno.com> From: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) Hmmm, well I think it's a great thing to make Flans the most influential man of the century. I think it makes a BIG statement, tho' I'm not quite sure what that statement is :P I personally feel as though I'm part of a minority, and doing this makes me feel like I'm kicking a majority's ass. <-- please try to see this a posotive :) I personally haven't been "cheating", but mostly because I'm quite lazy, but I proudly support the cheaters. I mean, this is a really fun thing, it seems like something Negativland would do. Think about it, we're messing with a HUGE corporation, TIME is a VERY popular magazine. We're proving that our minority CAN make a difference. Besides, doing this may get a lot of people to question, Who is this John Flansburgh anyway, I think I'll check him out. See, advertisement, and eventually, world dominance. And other minority's will want to kick our asses, and if the day comes where we become a majority, I hope the minorities do kick our asses, cause it's all fun and games that way. Mysterio Gal (completely out to lunch in squaresville) "often washed- seldom clean," --Jack M. Brewer MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 17:47:54 -0500 Subject: Re: NONTMBG: sigh... Message-ID: <19981216.175711.-172075.6.gray42@juno.com> From: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) On Tue, 15 Dec 1998 21:26:51 -0500 "Green Jello" writes: >blah blah blah >>Am I Rhett? Is Mr. Green Jello, or... >blah blah blah > >I love it when I'm mentioned in other people's posts... this should >definitely happen more often. > >Brother John Green Jello > > can do (anything to get away from thgis constant flamming, eh' :) Well, John Green Jello.................. toothpaste...........................Bill said that......................... and I do declare............................ luckless fools of Nazereth. Mysterio Gal (who has not read her mail in two days, and was shocked by the 100 messages she received to sift through, thank Bob for the delete button) "often washed- seldom clean," --Jack M. Brewer MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 17:32:35 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: ERR::Karen bitchs:: And other things. Message-ID: <19981216.175710.-172075.4.gray42@juno.com> From: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) >Oh...by the way...on a more relevant topic....I have written this to >someone before but I want to know every ones opinion on it. >I've found that TMBG's earlier stuff is a lot better than they're >newer stuff. No offense to them; but I hate the song "Dr Worm"....to >me it's just boring. I mean, I love a lot of their newish >songs.....like on Factory Showroom or John Henry. >But, I dunno', I guess to me, it seems as though TMBG has sold out a >little. They used to have songs that got right to the point and >avoided all of the glitz of modern day music. But, if you listen (in >their newer songs) the music seems out washed by a brass section and >all that new fancy crap. In my opinion TMBG was better with just a >moog synthesizer(my dad used to make those!), a drum machine, >accordion, >guitar, and stuff like that. I just wish that the Johns could go back >to the way things were before. What do you guys think? >(This all stemmed from me just getting "Then: The Earlier Years" It >made me realize how much they have changed.) I personally worship Dr. Worm, and Factory Showroom, I think, tries to mve towards the past whilst staying different. Now, at the same time I can totally understand where your opinion is coming from. When I first saw the "Snail Shell" vidio, I thought, "Oh shit! TMBG's goin' mainstream!" It was just SO different from all the other ones, made before hand. But never-the-less, they still are by far my main music group, and I've never had a problem with any of their songs. Some I would love to pieces, others, I wouldn't pay much attention to. I have many friends who have stopped listening to They because A) They've gotten normal, B) They've written too many songs, C) I liked it better when TMBG was two guys with a drum machine. I've seen this whole time process as a form of mutation (not evolution) and yes, sometimes, I prefer the old drum machine days, but still worship the new at the same time. Mysterio Gal (completely out to lunch in squaresville) "often washed- seldom clean," --Jack M. Brewer MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 >-Karen aka Celeste :P > >"Living Is Easy With Eyes Closed, Mis-Understanding All You See." >-John Lennon....another fab John L! >"I don't want the world, I just want your half." -From 'Ana Ng' > >___________________________________________________________________ >You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get >completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html >or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 17:39:41 -0500 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG:Muppets (was Soul Coughing Question) Message-ID: <19981216.175710.-172075.5.gray42@juno.com> From: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) >Hell, I can't say I know > much about Soul Coughing >except that thier new album >has a weird cat on it. Don't forget about the weird GIANT muppet feet coming out from under the tent. Woo, I'm still getting nightmares from that. Everyone should watch Meet The Feebles (if your over 18 that is :) I'm done now Mysterio Gal (completely out to lunch in squaresville) "often washed- seldom clean," --Jack M. Brewer MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981216232530.14461.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Mike McGuire" Subject: Re: TMBG: John Linnell Hello CD's Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 15:25:29 PST I don't have anything rare to trade, but I'm more than willing to pay for the CD-R's and shipping. *Mike* >Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 15:50:31 -0700 (MST) >From: Scot Westwood >To: Mike McGuire >Subject: Re: TMBG: John Linnell Hello CD's > >On Wed, 16 Dec 1998, Mike McGuire wrote: > >I have the equipment, and the cds, do you have anything to trade. I only >trade cd-r's that are digital quality. Cds that I am looking for are Dr. >Spocks Backup band, the Kit Kat acoustical break, anything from hello the >band, Iam also looking for versions of istanbul not on the EP, the radio >edit of sleeping in the flowers, The even further outer planet mix of the >guitar and Larger than life. There may bee other very rare tracks that I >don't know about yet that I would be interested in. Understand that I do >not own the equipment I use and it is difficult for me to get time on it >and therefore not worth my while to make copies for people for a fee. If >you have nothing to trade, you should be able to get these cds through the >information club for about $10.00. Even if you haven't got the equipment >or tracks to trade now, keep me in mind if you do get it, I have several >rare tracks and a desire to trade > >> Does anyone out there have a CD burner that might be able to burn me a >> CD of State Songs and House of Mayors? I'm really anxious to get a good >> copy of these. Let me know, thanks >> >> *Mike* >> >> ______________________________________________________ >> Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com >> > > ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 18:32:14 -0600 (CST) From: Jim Subject: NON-TMBG: Labyrinth Message-ID: > On an unrelated note, I am taking a little survey and want to know how > many out there have seen Labyrinth starring David Bowie. "You remind me of the babe." "What babe?" "The babe with the power." "What power?" "The power of voodoo!" "Who do?" "You do!" "Do what?" "Remind me of the babe . . . " Hasn't EVERYone seen this?! If they haven't, there's a huge life experience they are sorely missing! Rent it, buy it, borrow it, whatever you have to do to watch this ultimate masterpiece, neh? Jim! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <36784265.779DE060@maristb.marist.edu> Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 18:29:41 -0500 From: "Dominick Giordano Jr." Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Labyrinth Jim wrote: > Hasn't EVERYone seen this?! If they haven't, there's a huge life > experience they are sorely missing! Rent it, buy it, borrow it, whatever > you have to do to watch this ultimate masterpiece, neh? > > Jim! Actually, I feel the same way for all those 80's boppers who have never seen Goonies Dominick http://welcome.to/goondocks ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 17:10:05 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: Possible appearence on NPR Message-ID: <19981216.171050.3470.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> >My mom, told me that she was listening to NPR, and she thought she >heard something about They Might Be Giants on NPR Saturday, at 8:00 >P.M. Everyone keep your ears peeled just in case this rumor holds >truth. damn it's not a rumor! they *will* be on... they went in and recorded somethign live on like the 13th or so... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::so a bazillion and 2 times till people read the posts::: ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: RabbiVole@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 18:59:42 EST Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Labyrinth In a message dated 98-12-16 18:32:47 EST, k34z@Maristb.MARIST.EDU writes: << Actually, I feel the same way for all those 80's boppers who have never seen Goonies >> Actually, were it not for my current position as Supreme Son of God, one could say that I'm an eighties bopper--and I've seen Goonies several times, enjoying it each. Labyrinth I haven't seen, though I've been urged to do so times more numerable than I can tactfully mention here; from what I gather it's one of those Princess Bride things in which everyone with an artsy grey cell or two is required to see/do something in order to plausibly seek true acceptance from his peers. Well, I may indeed take the plunge; I'm bored and am 'bout to go rent a movie. I'm torn .. I need a Gremlins 2 fix. That, my children, is a movie. peace, love, and good happiness stuff, the one true jay. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 19:51:08 -0600 (CST) From: Jim Subject: NON-TMBG: Movies Message-ID: On Wed, 16 Dec 1998 RabbiVole@aol.com wrote: > In a message dated 98-12-16 18:32:47 EST, k34z@Maristb.MARIST.EDU writes: > > << Actually, I feel the same way for all those 80's boppers who have never > seen Goonies >> > > Actually, were it not for my current position as Supreme Son of God, Um, okay. > one could say that I'm an eighties bopper--and I've seen Goonies several > times, enjoying it each. Labyrinth I haven't seen, though I've been > urged to do so times more numerable than I can tactfully mention here; > from what I gather it's one of those Princess Bride things in which > everyone with an artsy grey cell or two is required to see/do something > in order to plausibly seek true acceptance from his peers. Bah. Don't watch it or shun it because of that. Watch it 'cause it's a damn good movie! > Well, I may indeed take the plunge; I'm bored and am 'bout to go rent a > movie. I'm torn .. I need a Gremlins 2 fix. That, my children, is a > movie. Ooo . . . Labyrinth, Goonies, Princess Bride, and Gremlins 2 . . . excellent movies all! I'd like to add to the pile The Dark Crystal and The Flight of Dragons. Jim! wonders if a listing of favorite movies might be on the horizon . . . ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: ::sigh:: - some TMBG content! Message-ID: <19981216.195548.4687.6.sailormorningstar@juno.com> From: sailormorningstar@juno.com (Karen M Majetich) Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 19:59:19 EST I'm really sorry...that I sent that email bashing Leon....really, truely I am. You have to understand, I was really mad, plus add that to a bad day and anyone would feel the way I did. (I feel like such a bitch!) As I said before, he most probably is a nice guy in real life....Anyways, in response to the letter that he sent.... Leon: You don't need to completely change the way you do things to abide to others. Just be more careful in what you say, and don't write so much! (This of course is my opinion...but its just a little advice) ANYWAY! ENOUGH OF THIS! IT IS UN-NEEDED! LETS ALL JUST GET ALONG! For those of you who actually read the TMBG part of my post yesterday... Mysterio Gal replied: <<...yes, sometimes, I prefer the old drum machine days, but still worship the new at the same time.>> Don't get me wrong...I love A LOT of their new music...just lately...eh...::shrugs:: I would rather listen to their older stuff. ::sigh:: The way things change....oh well. On yet another non-tmbg topic (sorry everyone...especially the non-americans! But I am really freaked out.) What's the deal with all of this Iraq stuff! They bombed them!..I bet this is a plot for Clinton to not get impeached..I hate that man. War and killing people will not solve anything in my book! (again..i apologize.) -Karen aka Celeste :P "Living Is Easy With Eyes Closed, Mis-Understanding All You See." -John Lennon....another fab John L! "I don't want the world, I just want your half." -From 'Ana Ng' ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 18:00:09 -0700 (MST) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Movies Message-ID: On Wed, 16 Dec 1998, Jim wrote: > > from what I gather it's one of those Princess Bride things in which > > everyone with an artsy grey cell or two is required to see/do something > > in order to plausibly seek true acceptance from his peers. > > Bah. Don't watch it or shun it because of that. Watch it 'cause > it's a damn good movie! no, jay! don't listen to him! watch it because we only then can we offer you true acceptance! it's just been provisional acceptance up to this point... ;) > Ooo . . . Labyrinth, Goonies, Princess Bride, and Gremlins 2 . . . > excellent movies all! I'd like to add to the pile The Dark Crystal and > The Flight of Dragons. > > Jim! wonders if a listing of favorite movies might be on > the horizon . . . ah, why the hell not? add to the list the star wars trilogy (natch), pretty much anything by hitchcock, bottle rocket, blue, white, red, shall we dance?, crumb, a great day in harlem, akira (whose soundtrack rocks my wompedy world), the apartment, the odd couple, the graduate, the stepford wives (far and away the creepiest movie i have ever seen, hands down, bar none (hee hee)), far and away, and star trek: first contact. haven't seen insurrection yet -- has anybody here? --jim kuemmerle, who has also seen labyrinth, many a time... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/zivio/ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 18:12:14 -0700 (MST) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: best albums of 1998 Message-ID: somebody a little while ago asked about a survey of the best 10 albums of the year accordioning to list members... was it tim? rev. bill? i can't remember. is it jim? i don't know. anyway, since i can't think of 10 albums that were released this year, can i just nominate a handful that i think are deserving of consideration? here goes: 1. severe tire damage -- they might be giants. 2. little plastic castle -- ani difranco 3. ... and this is... number... three... 4. telescopic -- edith frost 5. it's fun to steal -- mono puff and my nominee for album of the year: 6. XO -- elliott smith --jim kuemmerle, who's wondering if anybody's heard from LDB lately... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/zivio/ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 18:18:01 -0700 (MST) From: Jim Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: non-tmbg: bombings... Message-ID: > On yet another non-tmbg topic (sorry everyone...especially the > non-americans! But I am really freaked out.) What's the deal with all > of this Iraq stuff! They bombed them!..I bet this is a plot for Clinton > to not get impeached..I hate that man. War and killing people will not > solve anything in my book! (again..i apologize.) i have no idea what it's about, but i find it rather disturbing, particularly how it came out of nowhere (as opposed to the the long-building almost-bombing that kofi annan was able to prevent earlier this year.) my sentiments on the subject are probably best reflected in the allen ginsburg poem "hum bom"... --jim kuemmerle, who recommends listening to him perform it on the "holy soul jelly roll" set over reading the text... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/zivio/ ------------------------------ From: RabbiVole@aol.com Message-ID: <766c6803.36785842@aol.com> Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 20:02:58 EST Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Movies In a message dated 98-12-16 19:49:01 EST, rlowery@taurus.oursc.k12.ar.us writes: << > Actually, were it not for my current position as Supreme Son of God, Um, okay.>> What? You doubt me? Aside from the Johns, I'm both the most beautiful and influential person alive. So kiss me. <<--snip my own beautiful words of wisdom-- Bah. Don't watch it or shun it because of that. Watch it 'cause it's a damn good movie! --more of jay's wisdom-- Ooo . . . Labyrinth, Goonies, Princess Bride, and Gremlins 2 . . . excellent movies all! I'd like to add to the pile The Dark Crystal and The Flight of Dragons. >> I must reiterate: Gremlins 2 is not only an excellent movie, but it is my FAVORITE movie. Since its release around my ninth birthday, I have seen it some 45 odd times--and its predecessor almost as much. There's something about cute, fuzzy animals (furby? no, he's a shameless magwai copy) becoming vile creatures (shoehorns with teeth) overnight, for no readily apparent reason, that excites something in me. Maybe it was the corny comedy; truly I have no idea. But I love that movie with ever fibre my being. << Jim! wonders if a listing of favorite movies might be on the horizon . . . >> I hope note. Though I secretly hold joy in such nonsensical posting to the list, in order to achieve respectable status I must shun all mention of doing such a thing. peace, love, and good happiness stuff, jay. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 20:28:56 -0500 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Feebles (was:Muppets (was Soul Coughing Question)) Message-ID: <19981216.203007.13342.1.Mr.Train@juno.com> From: mr.train@juno.com (Tim J Murphy) On Wed, 16 Dec 1998 17:39:41 -0500 gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) writes: <> >Everyone should watch Meet The Feebles (if your over 18 that is :) > >I'm done now I have to say this: Meet The Feebles was the crappiest movie... I rented it with some friends and we watched a little under half of it... Even if you are over eighteen, which I'm not, don't even give this movie a second thought... it was a good concept, a Muppet parody, but when giant muppet-like walruses copulate with muppet -like cats and muppet-like rats... uhhh... play with their cheese... it just grosses me out... I prefer real muppet movies to this... maybe my sense of humor is just above it... but then again, I like Monty Python... That video night actually turned out OK after we watched Barbarella and Eegah! (MST3K) Tim, found a goldmine of LPs at Soundsations (Sepulvada Blvd., LA) Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update: - Last CD/LP purchases: Blondie - Parallel Lines / Eat To The Beat, Bob and Doug MacKenzie - Great White North Album, Monty Python - Matching Tie and Handkerchief, Wings - Band On The Run, Mono - Life In Mono 12" remix single, Propellerheads - DecksanDrumsandRockandRoll (CD), Fleetwood Mac - S/T Favorite mainstream song: - >Mysterio Gal (completely out to lunch in squaresville) >"often washed- seldom clean," >--Jack M. Brewer >MST3K#88182 >gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com >http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project >Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: wagner@mindspring.com Message-ID: <003401be295d$6381c960$03e345cf@computer> Subject: Re: TMBG: best albums of 1998 Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 20:34:25 -0500 >and my nominee for album of the year: >6. XO -- elliott smith yes!!! i'm so glad that someone else loves this album! i was kinda disappointed b/c i hadn't heard too much about elliot smith outside of spin mag, but this is such a good album, definetly an album-of-the-year candidate. here are some of my fave albums of 98 (not in any order): rem -- up beck -- mutations elliot smith -- xo cornershop -- when i was born for the 7th time tmbg -- severe tire damage galactic -- crazyhorse mongoose richard thompson & danny thompson -- industry [pretty sure this was 98. anyone know for sure?] for those of you who don't know who they are, galactic is a new orleans jazz/funk band, they are soooo good. they remind me of something you might here on "fat albert" or "welcome back kotter". they're really, really good. david. wagner. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 20:16:31 -0500 (EST) From: Kevin Keeler Subject: Re: TMBG: ::sigh:: - some TMBG content! Message-ID: oh shit..i know where this is headed and--before it does--just stop. we'll all be better off becaus of it. --kevin On Wed, 16 Dec 1998, Karen M Majetich wrote: > > On yet another non-tmbg topic (sorry everyone...especially the > non-americans! But I am really freaked out.) What's the deal with all > of this Iraq stuff! They bombed them!..I bet this is a plot for Clinton > to not get impeached..I hate that man. War and killing people will not > solve anything in my book! (again..i apologize.) ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #13-17 ******************************