Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #13-18 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 13, Number 18 Friday, 18 December 1998 Today's Topics: Re: NON-TMBG: Movies Re: NON-TMBG: Movies Re: TMBG: best albums of 1998 TMBG: Best album addition TMBG: Problems with voting Re: NON-TMBG: Movies Re: NON-TMBG: Labyrinth Re: NON-TMBG: Movies Re: TMBG: dislaimer/explanation Re: TMBG: Best album addition TMBG: NONTMBG List disunity SOLVED! NON-TMBG: best albums of year Re: TMBG: best albums of 1998 Re: TMBG: non-tmbg: bombings... Re: TMBG: best albums of 1998 Re: NON-TMBG: Movies Re: TMBG: best albums of 1998 Re: Non TMBG: Ayn Rand, Ayn Who? Re: TMBG: Problems with voting Re: TMBG: best albums of 1998 (none) Re: NON-TMBG:Muppets (was Soul Coughing Question) TMBG: Dr. Worm Video collage TMBG: drum machines and chickas Re: NON-TMBG: Movies TMBG: non-tmbg: random stuff TMBG: Record Label Re: TMBG: Record Label NON-TMBG: Movies and such Re: TMBG: aggro NON TMBG:Tone down the hostility TMBG: non-tmbg: movies Re: TMBG: non-tmbg: movies Re: TMBG: non-tmbg: movies Re: TMBG: best albums of 1998 Re: NON-TMBG: Feebles (was:Muppets (was Soul Coughing Question)) Re: NON-TMBG:Muppets (was Soul Coughing Question) Re: NON-TMBG: Movies Re: NON-TMBG: Movies Non TMBG: "Some (Too Many) Thoughts On Ayn Rand" by Mr. Ed Furniture Re: TMBG: best albums of 1998 Re: TMBG: best albums of 1998 Non-TMBG: Movies TMBG: For Science Re: NON-TMBG: Movies and such Re: NON-TMBG: Labyrinth Re: NON-TMBG: Movies Re: TMBG: For Science Re: TMBG: For Science Re: TMBG: For Science Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 20:48:51 -0600 (CST) From: Jim Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Movies Message-ID: On Wed, 16 Dec 1998, Jim Kuemmerle wrote: > On Wed, 16 Dec 1998, Jim wrote: D'oh! > > Bah. Don't watch it or shun it because of that. Watch it 'cause > > it's a damn good movie! > > no, jay! don't listen to him! watch it because we only then can we offer > you true acceptance! No, Jay! Conform to MY words only! Only through individualism may you be truly accepted! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! > > Jim! wonders if a listing of favorite movies might be on > > the horizon . . . > > ah, why the hell not? Because it's mindless SPAM! Oh, wait, you're right. Why the hell not? =] > and star trek: first contact. haven't seen insurrection yet -- has > anybody here? Yup! Twice, as a matter of fact. It's not as good as First Contact, tho' . . . But then, what IS? ;] Jim! is a Trekkie. Couldn't you tell? ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 20:56:14 -0600 (CST) From: Jim Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Movies Message-ID: On Wed, 16 Dec 1998 RabbiVole@aol.com wrote: > In a message dated 98-12-16 19:49:01 EST, rlowery@taurus.oursc.k12.ar.us > writes: Hmm. I liked "Jim" better. You make my message sound so impersonal! You fiend! > << > Actually, were it not for my current position as Supreme Son of God, > > Um, okay.>> > > What? You doubt me? Aside from the Johns, I'm both the most beautiful and > influential person alive. So kiss me. ACK! Hey, wait . . . aren't I supposed to be the one asking you to kiss me, Son of God? Er, not that I'm GOING to or anything, neh? ;] > <<--snip my own beautiful words of wisdom-- > --more of jay's wisdom-- Hmm, methinks me see a pattern, but it's not exactly clear just yet . . . > I must reiterate: Gremlins 2 is not only an excellent movie, but it is my > FAVORITE movie. Since its release around my ninth birthday, I have seen it > some 45 odd times--and its predecessor almost as much. Eh. I didn't really like the first one that much. The second, on the other hand, rocks my boat most mightily! > There's something about cute, fuzzy animals (furby? no, he's a > shameless magwai copy) becoming vile creatures (shoehorns with teeth) > overnight, for no readily apparent reason, Well, it's because they eat after midnight! Duh. =] > << Jim! wonders if a listing of favorite movies might be on > the horizon . . . >> > > I hope note. Though I secretly hold joy in such nonsensical posting to > the list, in order to achieve respectable status I must shun all mention > of doing such a thing. Well, it's not much of a SECRET joy anymore, now is it? And I notice that posting off-topic isn't on your list of shunnings. =] C'mon . . . come over to the Dark Side of the Insanity . . . post your favorite movies . . . then blather on endlessly about your shoe size or your dog's name or something else like that . . . you know you want to . . . join us . . . join us . . . JOIN US! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! *B^} > peace, love, and good happiness stuff, War, hate, and bad times to all! MUAHAHAHAHA!!! Jim!, the temptor of the Son of God . . . "Oh, yah. Here's your problem. This doll is set to EVIL!" -The Simpsons ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19981216204734.007c8740@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 20:47:34 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: best albums of 1998 My top albums (not in order of preference) are: The Giraffes - 13 Other Dimensions (not as good as the Dukes of Stratosphear, but they'll do in a pinch... ;-) Harvey Danger - Where Have All The Merrymakers Gone? (I was surprised by how much I liked this - got it for 88 cents + s&h from Music Blvd., too... ;-) Mailbox - Elephino (although all my friends mispronounce it; also, Irving said I was the first person to buy his sophomore album) Moxy Fruvous - Live Noise (the best live album ever?) Tuscadero - My Way Or The Highway (it says a lot when an album is so good that it inspires me to make a website devoted to the band; URL's in my sig) XTC - Transistor Blast (esp. disc 3; I'm a little disappointed 'cause I already had Drums And Wireless and the Live 1980 disc, but disc 3 makes it all worth it) And as for the most disappointing: Barenaked Ladies - Stunt (one of my least favorite CDs that I own; I've been a fan for years, but this is just an adventure in mediocrity) Mono Puff - It's Fun To Steal (well, when 2/3 of the CD's released before hand, it's hard to be excited) TMBG - Severe Tire Damage (not a bad album, but not very good either; doesn't hold a candle to Live Noise) Just my $0.02. -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.crystal-night.com/~ctyner/tuscadero.html http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ He-Man, Tuscadero, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, & more! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19981216204958.007cd850@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 20:49:58 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Best album addition Whoops, I forgot to mention KROQ's "Santa's Swingin' Sack" - I just got it yesterday, but it's such a fun album. Probably the only Christmas album I can tolerate. And only $5! :-) -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.crystal-night.com/~ctyner/tuscadero.html http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ He-Man, Tuscadero, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, & more! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <16DEC98.22569278.0103.MUSIC@MARISTB.MARIST.EDU> Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 20:53:50 EST From: Misty Subject: TMBG: Problems with voting Help! When I tried voting just now (the non-cheating way), I got an error message on a plain white screen, telling me I couldn't connect to the server for the poll. Anybody else have this problem? Misty ------------------------------ From: RabbiVole@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 20:50:18 EST Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Movies In a message dated 98-12-16 20:44:10 EST, rlowery@taurus.oursc.k12.ar.us writes: << no, jay! don't listen to him! watch it because we only then can we offer you true acceptance! No, Jay! Conform to MY words only! Only through individualism may you be truly accepted! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! >> woah. Who's the son of God here, folks? WHO'S CALLING THE SHOTS??? *sniffle* now you've made me all confused about my place in the artsy youth contemporary social genre. I'm sad. :( << and star trek: first contact. haven't seen insurrection yet -- has anybody here? Yup! Twice, as a matter of fact. It's not as good as First Contact, tho' . . . But then, what IS? ;] >> An old trekkie myself, I'm seeing First Contact soon out of fan loyalty: but I must state my own displeasure with First Contact, despite that this completely non-tmbg posting will probably get us all maimed. It was rather disappointing; though more so than Generations, and hopefully Insurrection will turn the tide into more pleasurable viewing. As I read in a review, Jonathon Frakes directs about as well as he acts--with lessons from William Shatner. ;) Nah, I love Riker. But I digress ... peace, love, and good happiness stuff, jay. ------------------------------ From: Igraine81@aol.com Message-ID: <15d31953.367869df@aol.com> Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 21:18:07 EST Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Labyrinth I saw it on Disney i think (look at me , im actually responding to something, wow) it was good, but damn those pants were way too tight. Lisa not cool enough to have her own quote, however is working on her people skills ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 22:08:40 -0600 (CST) From: Jim Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Movies Message-ID: On Wed, 16 Dec 1998 RabbiVole@aol.com wrote: > woah. Who's the son of God here, folks? WHO'S CALLING THE SHOTS??? > *sniffle* now you've made me all confused about my place in the artsy youth > contemporary social genre. I'm sad. :( We're going to start a gang called Youth Culture and kill your dog, too. > An old trekkie myself, I'm seeing First Contact soon out of fan loyalty: > but I must state my own displeasure with First Contact, WHAT?! BLASPHEMEY! From the Son of God, even. How twisted. > despite that this completely non-tmbg posting will probably get us all > maimed. Bah . . . you get used to it after a while. ;] > It was rather disappointing; though more so than Generations, Hey! I loved that movie, too! What kind of Trekkie ARE you?! The e-vile anti-Trekkie?! =^o > peace, love, and good happiness stuff, Swerve a lot and run into things! (I hate people who tell you to "Drive carefully!") =] Jim! thinks the peace and love stuff is starting to get to him . . . but he'll show them someday . . . he'll show them ALL . . . muahahahahaha . . . ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 19:59:35 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: dislaimer/explanation Message-ID: <19981216.201639.3766.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> >Are you sure that you like Leon still? oh geez... i have gotten so much mail from sooo many newbies i'm just gonna post this to the list. it's long-winded (as are most of my posts but hey... it may change your life!) but i think it'll introduce a lot of you kids to me and what i'm all about... so you can know where i'm coming from in future posts... First off, i really don't get as into these flame wars as i make it seem. i argue because i like people to see the opposite side... it doesn't even mean that i agree with what i'm saying (and no, i don't see what i'm doing as hypocritical). I just think that our entire society has gotten to the point where we're all fixated on what we think and we never tend to open up and allow ourselves to listen to others ideas or even give them a chance to do so (mailing lists are a great place for everyone to be able to state their POV). I get really annoyed with close-minded people and it *really* annoys me when people are narrow minded when it comes to TMBG... Secondly, i have very little ground to judge him, or any of you for that matter, on. So no, i don't hate him. In fact, i like him more than all the lurkers out there that just add "me too" posts... he at least backed up what he was saying with relevant info (not to mention the fact that i can now view him as a personality rather than some random text on my screen). So he says crap about me...let him, it's not like he's hurting my over-inflated self-esteem. I'm on a public forum... which means people can tear apart what i say just as i can do so to them. While it's considered polite not to direct your flame straight at the person (especially me since i'm not even practicing what i preach half the time! j/k) they have every right to do so. I personally feel like you get more accomplished when you simply state your side rather than getting angry but who knows... Arguing with me does not entail "anger" or "hate" or anything. Most of the time it's me trying to introduce you to some new ideas... that's it! It's not like i'm gonna make you agree with what i'm saying (heh, not like i agree with what i say half the time) I don't see what i'm doing as a bad thing... In one of my e-mails i stated something along the lines of "i have issues with narrow-minded people and people that are 'fake'" Well, along my own personal definition of "what is fake?" *Hating* the text on your screen is totally fake. So we've seen one side of Leon that we don't like... i'm sure there are a bunch of other beautiful aspects to his personality that we don't know. I try to see the entire picture before I judge someone and since we're on a mailing list and it's not really that easy to do... so i rarely do it... only if it's positively (since that can't really hurt anyone but myself) i feel like this entire message should be done in an Ana Gasteyer (from SNL) tone... or better yet, i feel like your mom "now honey... don't put gum in people's hair...because that's not a nice thing to do." take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html Last Album: SELF "Subliminal Plastic Motives" (Check 'em out, check 'em totally out!!! they're on the "dead man on campus" sdtk too... ) ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 20:27:00 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: Best album addition Message-ID: <19981216.202705.3766.3.TMBgirl@juno.com> > Probably the only Christmas >album I >can tolerate. what you're not a fan of n'sync? >Mono Puff - It's Fun To Steal (well, when 2/3 of the CD's released >before >hand, it's hard to be excited) i think that's the reason i didn't get all psyched about it when it was realeased... but hey... it was also released the same day as moxy fruvous' Live Noise so that couldn't have helped. >TMBG - Severe Tire Damage (not a bad album, but not very good either; >doesn't hold a candle to Live Noise) i didn't get psyched for this one just cuz of my large bootleg collection... i'd heard almost every one of the songs already and it wasn't all that great of a surprise. I was really upset that they chose to make it so horn-heavy, it doesn't acurately represent TMBG's live show at all. but the release of STD made me (more or less) stop trading TMBG bootlegs (and NO it's most definately NOT because it's a quality album). It left me disenchanted with the whole live being. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::really hoping it was nsync and not backstreet boys that i'm thinking of::: ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <00f701be2972$317ae220$96e0a1cd@default> From: "Green Jello" Subject: TMBG: NONTMBG List disunity SOLVED! Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 23:03:22 -0500 Bjorky slid in with the following: >useful. So, please, take your fight out of the list. >Thanks > >Bjorky no thank you... we've earned the right to fight here. article 103.65 of the internet mailing list policy code directly states "anyone having business of the said party, regarding the heretofore mentioned second party, may at times be required to resort to transcript fisticuffs on said mailing list. both parties shall be allowed to make complete fools of themselves and to eat as many starburst fruit chews as they possibly can without getting that strange queasy sugar feeling." sister sarah of the kids in the hall declared her liking of her new name: >hehehheehe... thanks! ;) you are most welcome. Karen said: >For those of you who actually read the TMBG part of my post yesterday... At least I was honest with you... I didn't even touch it. Mysterio Gal quothed: >Well, John Green Jello.................. >toothpaste...........................Bill said >that......................... and I do >declare............................ luckless fools of Nazereth. That's what we love to see... personally I'd like to see my name pop up like this (at random) in ALL future posts. I think it would add a unique harmony to the list like hasn't been seen in years. Remember that time when Sam duked it out with whomever he could over the Pink Album/Blue Dawg Album thing? That was harmony. Remember when ruprecht hassled us all until we could no longer enjoy opening our email... and then we would... only to find that all that awful email was exactly why we loved him so? That was harmony. Remember... well even SOME newbies remember Leffel. That was what we need now. So feel free to add me to EVERY post. We will become one again. Brother John Green Jello... feel the love. ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <199812170415.XAA04902@justice.loyola.edu> Subject: NON-TMBG: best albums of year Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 23:15:05 -0500 (EST) I'm a little surprised nobody mentioned the Eels "Electro-Shock Blues" as a great album for 1998. I know when I listened to it at the listening station a few weeks back I had to have it right away! -Matt -- Matt James mjames@justice.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD ------------------------------ From: CajunGram@aol.com Message-ID: <340d851f.3678840d@aol.com> Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 23:09:49 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: best albums of 1998 Here's my list of some of the best albums of the year. You guys should appreciate this, I came all the way out of a deep lurk to post this... Dub Narcotic Sound System - It's All In Your Mind Soul Coughing - El Oso Moxy Fruvous - Live Noise Elvis Costello - Extreme Honey (actually, i think this came out in '97, but oh well...) Beastie Boys - Hello Nasty Mono Puff - It's Fun To Steal Ben Folds Five - Naked Baby Photos Fatboy Slim - You've Come A Long Way, Baby that's all i can think of right now... Graham ------------------------------ From: CajunGram@aol.com Message-ID: <57f0011b.367883df@aol.com> Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 23:09:03 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: non-tmbg: bombings... In a message dated 98-12-16 20:19:05 EST, you write: << > On yet another non-tmbg topic (sorry everyone...especially the > non-americans! But I am really freaked out.) What's the deal with all > of this Iraq stuff! They bombed them!..I bet this is a plot for Clinton > to not get impeached..I hate that man. War and killing people will not > solve anything in my book! (again..i apologize.) >> Now, I'm not going to get into any kind of philisophical debate or a political scuffle, I think Clinton is not a bad president. But, here's an spooky coincidence... They bombed the African "terrorists" the day after Clinton admitted to the whole Lewinsky deal, and now, on the eve of his indictment, he bombs Iraq... I'm reminded of that episode of the X-Files where Mulder changes places with that obnoxious "Man in Black" played by John Ritter. I'm talking about that part where he is talking to Scully and the 3 guys Mulder always hangs out with (I forget their "official" X-files name... sorry) and he talks about how he created Saddam Hussein to creat a diversion, and he said something like "We made him so he could rattle his saber whenever things were going bad and we needed a diversion." Also, for the non X-phile, 3 words... Wag The Dog... Graham ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: <67bbca89.36788423@aol.com> Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 23:10:11 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: best albums of 1998 My nod for Album of the Year is Rancid's "Life Won't Wait." An INCREDIBLE album, with guest stars from every era of ska. Rancid gets back to their reggae roots for this one, and it rules. Severe Tire Damage was good too. I have yet to pick up "Live From The Middle East" from the MMB, but it's on my To Buy list. ------------------------------ From: ErgoTM@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 23:39:43 EST Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Movies Some more great movies: Zero Effect, Army of Darkness, Emmett Otters Jugband Christmas, Gremlins. And for any of you psychics out there, anything I think up later tonight. Jeff "I'm not hungry I'm HUUUUNNNNGGGGRYYYY" Craig ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 23:48:58 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: best albums of 1998 Message-ID: <19981216.234931.4334.3.Superman75@juno.com> From: superman75@juno.com (Adam Schaaf) hi. music in 1998 by adam schaaf. albums 5.) madonna - ray of light 4.) garbage - version 2.0 3.) the beastie boys - hello nasty 2.) dream theater - once in a livetime (the best prog rock money can buy) 1.) liz phair - whitechocolatespaceegg songs 5.) Jackie's Strength - Tori Amos 4.) Kid - The Bouncing Souls 3.) Intergalactic - The Beastie Boys 2.) Doctor Worm - TMBG 1.) Polyester Bride - Liz Phair your underking of pop trivia, adam schaaf * ------------------------------------------ Philly Tour Dates Dec. 18 - The John Spencer Blues Expolsion Dec. 27 - Dream Theater * ----------------------------------------- ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981217025104.14783.rocketmail@send104.yahoomail.com> Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 18:51:04 -0800 (PST) From: Malcolm MacTavish Subject: Re: Non TMBG: Ayn Rand, Ayn Who? \--Nicole the Wonder Nerd wrote: > > >Whatever happened to Malcolm MacTavish? We haven't > >had a good argument about Moxy Fruvous in a long time > > He probably realized we were right. :) No, j/k. Afraid not. I'm still here, but the Moxy talk seems to have died down. I remain as unconvinced of their greatness as ever. M. M'T. _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3678A4AE.2EE0E5AE@maristb.marist.edu> Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 01:29:02 -0500 From: "Dominick Giordano Jr." Subject: Re: TMBG: Problems with voting Misty wrote: > Help! > > When I tried voting just now (the non-cheating way), I got an error > message on a plain white screen, telling me I couldn't connect to the > server for the poll. Anybody else have this problem? > > Misty Yes! I had the same problem too...... I hope this doesn't stay like this Dominick http://www.geocities.com/hollywood/6325/welcome.html ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3678DD72.4DE3F7FD@softhome.net> Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 02:31:15 -0800 From: Ian Wolfe Subject: Re: TMBG: best albums of 1998 Hi. Here is my top ten. In no order. Belle & Sebastian- The Boy With the Arab Strap Fuck- Conduct Modest Mouse- The Lonesome Crowded West(may have been 97, but still, buy it) Beck- Mutations Squarepusher- Music is Rotted One Note Beastie Boys- Hello Nasty Radiohead- Airbag/How am I Driving? Plastilina Mosh- Aquamosh okay. i know it isn't ten. screw it looking forward to in 99: new pavement, new radiohead, new star wars ian Jim Kuemmerle wrote: > somebody a little while ago asked about a survey of the best 10 albums of > the year accordioning to list members... was it tim? rev. bill? i can't > remember. is it jim? i don't know. > > anyway, since i can't think of 10 albums that were released this year, can > i just nominate a handful that i think are deserving of consideration? > > here goes: > 1. severe tire damage -- they might be giants. > 2. little plastic castle -- ani difranco > 3. ... and this is... number... three... > 4. telescopic -- edith frost > 5. it's fun to steal -- mono puff > > and my nominee for album of the year: > 6. XO -- elliott smith > > --jim kuemmerle, who's wondering if anybody's heard from LDB lately... > > j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu > http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/zivio/ ------------------------------ From: "Leon X. Deggs" Message-Id: <913883103.24063.276@excite.com> Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 00:25:03 PST Morning, Just to throw my '$0.02' at people. I think that the drum machine stuff of TMBG is way better than the bad stuff. The songwriting hasn't changed as a result. We'd still have gotten Dr. Worm in 1986 - if they'd've had the idea. I - as an ex-drummer - find my opinion of the drum-machine/drummer a little odd. A machine will never achieve the feel and warmth of a human, but the machine added to the whole TMBG-ness of Linnell/Flansburgh. I read somewhere - MTV page or something - that someone asked them if they'd consider returning to the drum machine sound. And they weren't averse to it, but also suffered from the same things as we do. They enjoyed the sounds they created but don't want to lose the depth and warmth of the 'band' sound. It was - for me - the fact that it was simply two guys and occasional guest players that made the band so special. I mean, these guys are talented. Is there anything they can't play? But we don't want to overdo it and end up with the size of bands we had in the Ska phase of the early British 80s (I say 'British', cos I ain't sure whether Specials, Madness, (English) Beat were huge over (t)here) Concerning the (English) Beat [as I've seen them referred to], they appeared on the soundtrack to one of my favourite films. Ferris Bueller's Day Off. They played the 'ooh yeah - chicka chickah' song at the end. A little bit of trivia goes a long way ... If this was irrelevant - shoot me :-) L. _____________ Leon X. Deggs _______________________________________________________ Get your free, private e-mail at http://mail.excite.com/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <00d601be29be$e3aacfe0$b2b3a4c1@squid> From: "Uncle Squid" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG:Muppets (was Soul Coughing Question) Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 13:03:52 -0000 -----Original Message----- From: Claire V Gray To: MrUsaJapan@aol.com Cc: tmbg-list@tmbg.com Date: 16 December 1998 23:10 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG:Muppets (was Soul Coughing Question) > >>Hell, I can't say I know >> much about Soul Coughing >>except that thier new album >>has a weird cat on it. > >Don't forget about the weird GIANT muppet feet coming out from under the >tent. > >Woo, I'm still getting nightmares from that. hehehe >Everyone should watch Meet The Feebles (if your over 18 that is :) I've watched just about everything else by Peter Jackson but can't find meet the Feebles anywhere, I hear it's like The Muppets on Crack? >I'm done now As am I ----------------------- Uncle Squid - It's hard to love but one, when Human nature needs it's fun. www.keme.co.uk/~thelimes/cols/ ICQ: 12605535 ----------------------- "Lace humour with insult and add insult to injury" -- Uncle Squid ------------------------------ Message-ID: <445F423C4F7BD211893900A0C9E45641080C00@MAIL> From: Robert Plass Subject: TMBG: Dr. Worm Video collage Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 08:44:05 -0500 Hello exquisite living people, Coming out of lurkdom to bring you all holiday cheer, I want to re-post the URL for the 800x600 Dr. Worm Video collage I made. This makes an excellent gift for your TMBG fans. It is suitable for a desktop background in Windows and also makes a neat dorm door poster if you print it out in Landscape mode. And, it's FREE!!! http://www.asan.com/users/plassrob/drworm.gif Just put that into your browser window and right click on it to set it for your background. Okay, Love, Rob Plass --- ----- Holder of tickets #1 and #2 to both New Year's Eve shows! Yay! ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <199812171435.JAA10874@justice.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: drum machines and chickas Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 09:35:16 -0500 (EST) > Just to throw my '$0.02' at people. > I think that the drum machine stuff of TMBG is way better than the bad > stuff. I assume you mean band stuff ;) There was a lot of great sounds out of that era. Or at the very least unique sounds. Some of the drum beats seem just so fast and outrageous that'd be almost impossible for a regular drummer to do it live. > I - as an ex-drummer - find my opinion of the drum-machine/drummer a little > odd. A machine will never achieve the feel and warmth of a human, but the > machine added to the whole TMBG-ness of Linnell/Flansburgh. Whether you program a drum machine or program your fingers to play a guitar or program your hands to beat a drum or touch a keyboard, you're still getting a sound created by the band. Sure, the drum machine may seem more synthetic, but what ultimately results is a sound devised by TMBG. > I read somewhere - MTV page or something - that someone asked them if they'd > consider returning to the drum machine sound. And they weren't averse to it, > but also suffered from the same things as we do. They enjoyed the sounds > they created but don't want to lose the depth and warmth of the 'band' > sound. Well, just look at the recent Then: The Earlier Years tour, they went right back to the drum machine to play some of their older songs during that tour. Surely, they must have had some desire to revert back to that at least for a little while. Also, look at songs like Metal Detector, you get the "barking dog" (at least that's what it sounds like to me) synth sounds that hark back to the 80s. It sounds like they're trying to mesh a bit of both nowadays. > Concerning the (English) Beat [as I've seen them referred to], they appeared > on the soundtrack to one of my favourite films. Ferris Bueller's Day Off. > They played the 'ooh yeah - chicka chickah' song at the end. Are you sure it was the English Beat or was it Yello? I thought Yello wrote that song, but perhaps the English Beat covered it for Ferris Buhler's Day off? -Matt -- Matt James mjames@justice.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 09:44:47 -0600 (CST) From: Jim Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Movies Message-ID: On Wed, 16 Dec 1998 ErgoTM@aol.com wrote: > Some more great movies: Zero Effect, Army of Darkness, Oh, yah! The Evil Dead Trilogy! Dead by Dawn is better than Army of Darkness anyday, tho'. After all, Dead by Dawn has the Evil Dead Hand sequence! MUAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! > And for any of you psychics out there, anything I think up later > tonight. *Jim! activates his psychic powers.* "Rabid squirrels"? What kinda movie is that? Oh, wait. Dangit, I was reading my OWN mind again . . . ;] Jim! eats rabid squirrels for dinner! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 11:04:22 +0100 From: beknowles@vassar.edu (Ben Knowles) Subject: TMBG: non-tmbg: random stuff Message-id: <01J5FXC90WIA00NBCN@VASSAR.EDU> i don't usually like to get into stuff like this, but against my better judgement, here i go: >1. Ayn Rand is not so much a novelist, but a philosopher. She is probably >the greatest twentieth century American philosopher. While she is not >widely known, she most likely will be soon. A couple of German philosophers >from the nineteenth century, Marx and Engels, are known worldwide more than >a century later. greatest philosopher of the 20th century my ass. ever heard of foucault? heidegger? derrida? sartre? ayn rand's brand of ethics may be somewhat influential, but isn't anything i'd call revolutionary. >2. She did preach selfishness, however, selfishness is not a necessarily >negative thing. well that's her point now, isn't it? funny how even the most seemingly philosophically sound ideology can be of little or no practical applicability. while i'm not going with the fact that humans are innately selfish, it just seems to me no way to run a government, or a world for that matter. it's a little naive, is all. if i don't have any idea what i'm talking about (which is always a possibility) then feel free to ignore this post. by the way, nationalism sucks. whether it be pro-american or pro-british, it's just ridiculous dick-waving (see george carlin). mr. dreggs: while i think some of the things you said were out of line, i am sympathetic to your point of view. a lot of americans probably don't realize that the british have a different sense of humor which tends to be a lot more scathingly sarcastic than americans - it's all in fun, people, please chill! in fact, from talking to brits it seems that they think we are needlessly apologetic, insincere, and naive. which is perhaps true, but not necessarily so. perhaps if you toned it down a bit, and we grew thicker skins. the same goes for the uncle squid drunken post thing (surprise people - drinking is *gasp* socially acceptable in europe. sometimes even in america!) as far as good albums of the year: dan bern - fifty eggs dan bern - smartie mine ...both worthy of recognition. (anyone agree?) sorry to clog your boxes, nub ------------------------------ From: Gweeg@aol.com Message-ID: <23c602e2.3679577a@aol.com> Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 14:11:54 EST Subject: TMBG: Record Label Does anyone know if they have signed to a record label? I know they wanted to be recording the new CD by now but have they even started? ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: <85d8c39e.367959fb@aol.com> Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 14:22:35 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Record Label << Does anyone know if they have signed to a record label? I know they wanted to be recording the new CD by now but have they even started? >> The latest I read about it was an interview with Flans from October where he says they plan to release the new cd in another year, so they've still got time to find a lable. Kay ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: <9970562e.36796cfe@aol.com> Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 15:43:42 EST Subject: NON-TMBG: Movies and such In a message dated 12/16/98 7:49:01 PM Eastern Standard Time, rlowery@taurus.oursc.k12.ar.us writes: << Ooo . . . Labyrinth, Goonies, Princess Bride, and Gremlins 2 . . . excellent movies all! I'd like to add to the pile The Dark Crystal and The Flight of Dragons. >> The Flight of Dragons....that sounds so incredibly familiar..was it an animated cartoon movie? I personally like watching any bad sci fi movie, or really any bad movie for that..they always make me feel better. I wish I wasn't so busy so I'd have more time to watch movies, but alas, the evil demon I call school has enslaved me...can anyone help free me from this wretched creature?! -Amber the Transcendent Mistress of the Known Cosmos, Empress for Eternity ------------------------------ From: Matt James Message-Id: <199812172056.PAA21545@justice.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: aggro Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 15:56:45 -0500 (EST) > hi > i've been a long time lurker (say3-4yrs) on this list and most times i just > skim the messages for some new tmbg news/gossip/trivialities. > but i feel compelled now to request that lbeggs NOT be kcked off the list - > it sure is good to see abit of amusement/diversion/aggro on the list - oh > sweet chords of disharmony how i have missed thee...i for one thinks it add > a bit of zest -go leon go! > bye for another while > vale > ps - and being from ireland i can direct both anti-american and > anti-english comments -whooee (should i care to that is) Irish people suck, go Iraq! -Matt, feeling zesty as a pickle (I could try to pick a fight with Leon whilst I'm in London next week, what say?) -- Matt James mjames@justice.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981217213431.12991.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "John Landis" Subject: NON TMBG:Tone down the hostility Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 13:34:31 PST Once again, I have probably no right to speak here. So, If you think so, please just delete this message. I have noticed a lot of hostility, going back to some guy scaring off new fans. Then some other guy got mad at him, and some more dudes got involved, and soon there was just a general feeling of unrest and resentment. I'm not yelling at anybody, I'm just trying to point out that hostility breeds hostility. So don't "flame" anybody unless you want to get "flamed" back. I'm not trying to say that you're not allowed to express anger, I'm just saying that it's counter productive. Just a dismissable thought. John ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 15:24:11 -0700 (MST) From: Tara Weber Subject: TMBG: non-tmbg: movies Message-ID: > ah, why the hell not? > > add to the list the star wars trilogy (natch), pretty much anything by > hitchcock, bottle rocket, blue, white, red, shall we dance?, crumb, a > great day in harlem, akira (whose soundtrack rocks my wompedy world), > the apartment, the odd couple, the graduate, the stepford wives (far and > away the creepiest movie i have ever seen, hands down, bar none (hee > hee)), far and away, and star trek: first contact. haven't seen > insurrection yet -- has anybody here? > > --jim kuemmerle, who has also seen labyrinth, many a time... ok, here are the movies I've been digging as of late: The Graduate (gotta concur with Jim on this one....did anyone see the episode of the Simpsons where Lisa has a crush on the substitute teacher? if not, there's this great moment where the substitute teacher is talking to another teacher who's hitting on him, and right when he says, "Mrs. (I forgot her name), I think you're trying to seduce me," you see him standing by the door and her leg is in the foreground, just like the famous still from The Graduate.) Eraserhead, Annie Hall, Citizen Kane, North By Northwest, Breakfast at Tiffany's (I have a friend who is so much like Holly Golightly that it's just plain eerie...if she kept shoes in her refrigerator, I would not be at all surprised), the Star Wars trilogy, Vertigo.......um...actually, contrary to what you might gather from this list, I *do* watch movies released recently...I'm not a total movie snob... :) --Tara ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981217225027.27778.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: Re: TMBG: non-tmbg: movies Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 14:50:25 PST >ok, here are the movies I've been digging as of late: > Psycho 1-4 (and the re-make), Halloween 1,2, & 4-6 (but NOT H2O), Cemetery Man, Evil Dead 1 & 2, Army of Darkness, Dark City, any and all Stephen King, Nothing to Lose, A Bug's Life, Star Wars Trilogy, Indiana Jones Trilogy, Dead Alive ("Braindead" to the Brits), JFK, Bean, Wild Palms (CBS mini-series in 1993, but I saw it on library video tape, so it counts as a movie), Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, James Bond 1-18, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Ghostbusters 1 & 2, Robocop 1 & 2 (kick ass), Dirty Work, The Search for One-Eyed Jimmy, Mother, the Graduate (who CAN'T like this movie?), Creepshow 2, X-Files, Maniac Cop 1, Blade Runner, Fargo, Nightbreed, Picture Perfect, etc... Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com ICQ#: 17262308 contact me! http://www.angelfire.com/va/ozzyfest/index.html "I'd give my life to be dead." -Francesco Dellamorte, "Cemetery Man" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 16:52:32 -0600 From: Jamal Rogers Subject: Re: TMBG: non-tmbg: movies Message-id: <36798B30.4F25E479@ac.grin.edu> This is made even better by the fact that Dustin Hoffman did the voice for the substitute. --Jamal Tara Weber wrote: > > The Graduate (gotta concur with Jim on this one....did anyone see the > episode of the Simpsons where Lisa has a crush on the substitute teacher? > if not, there's this great moment where the substitute teacher is talking > to another teacher who's hitting on him, and right when he says, "Mrs. (I > forgot her name), I think you're trying to seduce me," you see him > standing by the door and her leg is in the foreground, just like the > famous still from The Graduate.) ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <23c77125.36798d69@aol.com> Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 18:02:01 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: best albums of 1998 In a message dated 12/16/98 8:13:11 PM, J.Kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu writes: >here goes: >1. severe tire damage -- they might be giants. >2. little plastic castle -- ani difranco >3. ... and this is... number... three... >4. telescopic -- edith frost >5. it's fun to steal -- mono puff http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/top10.html >and my nominee for album of the year: >6. XO -- elliott smith funny, that was on a list from a member of sloan, and it was the only album ... foreign to me. sarah ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 15:28:25 -0500 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Feebles (was:Muppets (was Soul Coughing Question)) Message-ID: <19981217.180245.-258509.0.gray42@juno.com> From: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) >>I'm done now >I have to say this: >Meet The Feebles was the crappiest movie... I rented it with some >friends and we watched a little under half of it... Even if you are >over eighteen, which I'm not, don't even give this movie a second >thought... it was a good concept, a Muppet parody, but when giant >muppet-like walruses copulate with muppet -like cats and muppet-like >rats... uhhh... play with their cheese... it just grosses me out... I >prefer real muppet movies to this... maybe my sense of humor is just >above it... but then again, I like Monty Python... >That video night actually turned out OK after we watched Barbarella >and Eegah! (MST3K) Nee Hee, that's exactly why I like the movie so much, and I think that was also the directors point, to create something that would make people wanna turn off their televisions :) BTW whoever has seen this, who thinks that the Rats voice is strikingly similar to the voice of Senior Sock on Talk Soup? Mysterio Gal (completely out to lunch in squaresville) "often washed- seldom clean," --Jack M. Brewer MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 >Tim, found a goldmine of LPs at Soundsations (Sepulvada Blvd., LA) > Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G > AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) >Favorite TMBG song update: - >Last CD/LP purchases: Blondie - Parallel Lines / Eat To The Beat, Bob >and Doug MacKenzie - Great White North Album, Monty Python - Matching >Tie and Handkerchief, Wings - Band On The Run, Mono - Life In Mono 12" >remix single, Propellerheads - DecksanDrumsandRockandRoll (CD), >Fleetwood Mac - S/T >Favorite mainstream song: - > >>Mysterio Gal (completely out to lunch in squaresville) >>"often washed- seldom clean," >>--Jack M. Brewer >>MST3K#88182 >>gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com >>http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project > >>Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 > >___________________________________________________________________ >You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get >completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html >or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 15:33:09 -0500 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG:Muppets (was Soul Coughing Question) Message-ID: <19981217.180246.-258509.1.gray42@juno.com> From: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) >>Everyone should watch Meet The Feebles (if your over 18 that is :) > > >I've watched just about everything else by Peter Jackson but can't >find meet >the Feebles anywhere, I hear it's like The Muppets on Crack? Hmehehe, pretty much, some like to call it muppet porn, but there isn't enough bleep to call it that. It has a thorough plot line, and is filled with muppet vulgarities in general. There's also drug use, nam memories, bad language, and marraige problems. I got lucky with finding this, cause a friend just let me borrow their copy. Probably some of the most twisted stuff you can find (but it probably does get a lot more twisted). Mysterio Gal (completely out to lunch in squaresville) "often washed- seldom clean," --Jack M. Brewer MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 18:02:08 -0500 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Movies Message-ID: <19981217.180246.-258509.3.gray42@juno.com> From: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) On Wed, 16 Dec 1998 20:56:14 -0600 (CST) Jim writes: > >On Wed, 16 Dec 1998 RabbiVole@aol.com wrote: >> In a message dated 98-12-16 19:49:01 EST, >rlowery@taurus.oursc.k12.ar.us >> writes: > > Hmm. I liked "Jim" better. You make my message sound so >impersonal! You fiend! > >> << > Actually, were it not for my current position as Supreme Son of >God, >> >> Um, okay.>> >> >> What? You doubt me? Aside from the Johns, I'm both the most >beautiful and >> influential person alive. So kiss me. > > ACK! Hey, wait . . . aren't I supposed to be the one asking >you >to kiss me, Son of God? Er, not that I'm GOING to or anything, neh? >;] > >> <<--snip my own beautiful words of wisdom-- I see the Shaiehieghs agents of the bitter republic are now at hand, bring on your tasers, thy teachers of masterful bass fishing. I sniff my foot at thee! > Well, it's not much of a SECRET joy anymore, now is it? And >I >notice that posting off-topic isn't on your list of shunnings. =] > C'mon . . . come over to the Dark Side of the Insanity . . . >post >your favorite movies . . . then blather on endlessly about your shoe >size >or your dog's name or something else like that . . . you know you want >to >. . . join us . . . join us . . . JOIN US! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! >*B^} I'm a part of this, I've been doing my best to wildly spread off-topic posts about individuality, and muppet porn. But I must confess that my shoe size is a number unreccognizable to all Earthlings, and resembles a symbol much unlike anything you would find on an Earth PC's keyboard. Not only that, but to pronounce my dogs name, you need a rubber band, a recording of a dozen chickens clucking backwords, and the hacking cough of a senile donkey, plus some detailed instructions, but I'm feeling quite lazy at the moment. On the other hand, my dog's name can be spelled, but don't be tricked by its simplicity, when heard, it sounds very different. R-A-D-A-R. >> peace, love, and good happiness stuff, > > War, hate, and bad times to all! MUAHAHAHAHA!!! Let thy nuggets nuke to boogers Mysterio Gal (completely out to lunch in squaresville) "often washed- seldom clean," --Jack M. Brewer MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 > Jim!, the temptor of the Son of God . . . > > > "Oh, yah. Here's your problem. This doll is set to EVIL!" > -The Simpsons > > ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 18:20:57 -0500 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Movies Message-ID: <19981217.185250.-258509.4.gray42@juno.com> From: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) Movies I worship, hmmm. Well, anything by Terry Gilliam, The City Of Lost Children, Meet The Feebles (of course) Akira, Battle Angel, Earth Girls Are Easy, Labrynth, Never Ending Story (1st one only), anything by Tim Burton (especially Edward Scissor Hands, Beetlejuice, Batman Returns, and Pee Wee's Big Adventure), Schindler's List, Jurassic Park, etc. Mysterio Gal (completely out to lunch in squaresville) "often washed- seldom clean," --Jack M. Brewer MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 18:52:42 -0500 Subject: Non TMBG: "Some (Too Many) Thoughts On Ayn Rand" by Mr. Ed Furniture Message-ID: <19981217.185251.-258509.6.gray42@juno.com> From: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) Since the Ayn Rand topic has not yet died, but is near dead, I will post this from a friend who I believe to be somewhat of an Ayn Rand expert. * -------------------------------------------------------------- Ayn Rand's philosophy can be a very dangerous and powerful thing for some people. In psychology textbooks, it is VERY similar to "Hypermoralism" which is one of the traits of schitzophrenia (I've read that schitophrenia is actually a PHYSICAL brain disorder & deformity, and not a thinking/emotional disorder. But it's still interesting to note all the parallels.) Then again, it's a trait of young people who think a lot and crave to understand the universe & society, which is completely understandable. Her philosophy embraces individuality, creativity, honesty, productivity, and outwardly expresses the potentials of human beings & their happiness. SUBCONSCIOUSLY, it embraces social alienation, emotional denial, hypermoralism, anal-retentive thought processes, and the overall feeling that you do not belong on this planet (does this sound like a common theme you have seen in people around you?). It leads you to think that everyone around you are fucking worthless, evil, uncreative, mindless, boring, sheeplike, irrational losers who are not only hurting themselves, but are conspiring against you and want very much to hurt you. That, for me, enhanced my ego beyond comprehension and gave me feelings of great power, much like watching a Star Wars movie when you're little. That gave me the confidence to stand up against everyone else's opinions and do whatever the hell I wanted, and rub it in people's faces. Fuck em all! I was able to go off and write music (which most people still don't like, but I'm very proud of) which was uncompromising (except for the fact that it's played through a cheap, cheezy keyboard)...I was psychologically free to experiment artistically (who do I have to impress?) This is because Ayn Rand (and consequentially, Sir Millard Mulch) knew NOTHING about psychology, which they both openly admitted. Woops. Big mistake if you're formulating and practicing a philosophy. I'm not sure if you have read any Ayn Rand philosophy books, but I thought I'd let you know some of my experiences with it, just for reference. I'm not going to talk any more about her right now. But I AM reading up on this new thing I found called Social Anxiety, which pretty much defines me after a "Who Got Fingerprints All Over Whatever" thing. It's amazing how many psychological glitches I can find & fix if I really seek them out. == Mr. Ed Furniture * ---------------------------------------------------------- Mysterio Gal (completely out to lunch in squaresville) "often washed- seldom clean," --Jack M. Brewer MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 18:32:50 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: best albums of 1998 Message-ID: <19981217.185251.-258509.5.gray42@juno.com> From: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) Ok, with all this music talk. I recently went to a great party where we were boosting Negativland's "Escape From Noise" and the new Rammstein CD (a great mix) Along with some really psychadelic music that sounded like freakshow midgets singing. (I was on ROBO so things may have been altered, and screaming in fear I might add). I asked the friend who was playing it, what the name of the group was that he was playing, he said it was Liz Phairs newest CD. Much later I went to a used CD place, found her newest CD, took a listen, and it wasn't right. Does anyone know the name of this group who sounds like Psychadelic singing midgets? Mysterio Gal (completely out to lunch in squaresville) "often washed- seldom clean," --Jack M. Brewer MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 16:41:36 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: best albums of 1998 Message-ID: <19981217.204537.4630.0.Mr.Train@juno.com> From: mr.train@juno.com (Tim J Murphy) OK, I have to add my list... here are my best albums of '98 Brian Setzer Orchestra - The Dirty Boogie - Probably my favorite of the three that I have of his. Esp. the big band ver. of Rock This Town Indigo Swing - All Aboard! - Indigo Swing are now my favorite swing band and this album is pure money. Every track is great lyrically and musically Squirell Nut Zippers - Perennial Favorites - By far, the best SNZ album to date. Space - Tin Planet - better than Spiders. Every track is different. Plus, the great limited edition tin jewelbox. Propellerheads - DecksanDrumsandRockandRoll - I think this is 98... but it is the best electronic album out there right now... and Shirley Bassey's performance is tops. TMBG - STD - New live tracks from everyone's favorite band OK... those aren't all of my picks, but I'm having trouble thinking of good albums I've heard... Tim, gotta be Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update: Dr. Worm Last CD/LP purchase(s): Blondie - Parallel Lines / Eat To The Beat, Bob and Doug MacKenzie - Great White North Album, Monty Python - Matching Tie and Handkerchief, Wings - Band On The Run, Mono - Life In Mono 12" remix single, Propellerheads - DecksanDrumsandRockandRoll (CD), Fleetwood Mac - S/T Favorite mainstream song: - - ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981218025450.16028.rocketmail@send206.yahoomail.com> Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 18:54:50 -0800 (PST) From: Happy Cow Subject: Non-TMBG: Movies I'm really surprised that no one yet has mentioned Monty Python and the Holy Grail. That has to be one of the funniest movies of all time! I've seen it 23 times now.... == ~Connie~ "Life is three-dimensional...unless you live in the T.V." _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981218025604.21723.rocketmail@send205.yahoomail.com> Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 18:56:04 -0800 (PST) From: Happy Cow Subject: TMBG: For Science Does anyone else here think that in the beginning of "For Science," (the part that goes, "There has been a spacecraft sighted...") he sounds like that piano playing dog from the muppets??? == ~Connie~ "Life is three-dimensional...unless you live in the T.V." _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 22:33:54 -0600 (CST) From: Jim Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Movies and such Message-ID: On Thu, 17 Dec 1998 Alterian@aol.com wrote: > rlowery@taurus.oursc.k12.ar.us writes: > > << Ooo . . . Labyrinth, Goonies, Princess Bride, and Gremlins 2 . . . > excellent movies all! I'd like to add to the pile The Dark Crystal and > The Flight of Dragons. >> > The Flight of Dragons....that sounds so incredibly familiar..was it an > animated cartoon movie? Yup! Based on a book by Peter . . . um, something. The voice of Peter (yes, he puts himself in the story as the hero) is done by ol' John Ritter, and the bad guy (been too long since I watched it) is done by James Earl Jones in yet another of his sterling performances. It's an excellent watch, and if I can ever find the book, I'm sure it's an excellent read, too! > -Amber the Transcendent Mistress of the Known Cosmos, Empress for Eternity Jim! the Primevial Master of the Unknown Universe, Emperor of the Sock Drawer and Breaker of the Seventh Seal. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 19:55:15 -0800 (PST) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Labyrinth Message-ID: As a member of the Labyrinth cult on the internet (let it also be known that I am a member of the "Ishtar" cult, the "This is Spinal Tap" cult, and "the Cult of the Dead Milkmen), I have seen Labyrinth over 20 times. It is really fun once you start memorizing it. Cap'n "jump, magic, jump! Dance, magic, dance!" Helfgott ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 19:59:10 -0800 (PST) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Movies Message-ID: I'll throw my 2 cents (or about 10 movies) in here. 1: ISHTAR (people say it's the worst ever, but that makes it oh so much better) 2: This Is Spinal Tap 3: Labyrinth 4: Howard the Duck 5: Listen to me 6: Blazing Saddles 7: The Producers 8: The Rocky Horror Picture Show 9: Farenheit 451 10: Men At Work (no, not the band) ------------------------------ From: Kreadoubt@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 23:23:15 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: For Science In a message dated 12/17/98 6:58:31 PM Pacific Standard Time, tmbg2040@yahoo.com writes: << Does anyone else here think that in the beginning of "For Science," (the part that goes, "There has been a spacecraft sighted...") he sounds like that piano playing dog from the muppets??? >> "Hi, I'm Ralph, Ralph the dog, please to meet you" ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 00:04:49 -0600 (CST) From: Jim Subject: Re: TMBG: For Science Message-ID: On Thu, 17 Dec 1998 Kreadoubt@aol.com wrote: > tmbg2040@yahoo.com writes: > > << Does anyone else here think that in the beginning of "For Science," > (the part that goes, "There has been a spacecraft sighted...") he > sounds like that piano playing dog from the muppets??? >> > > "Hi, I'm Ralph, Ralph the dog, please to meet you" Um, Rolph (or Rolf), isn't it? Jim! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <007a01be2a43$9abff780$c6d12581@oemcomputer> From: "kelspots" Subject: Re: TMBG: For Science Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 00:02:23 -0500 > sounds like that piano playing dog from the muppets??? >> > > "Hi, I'm Ralph, Ralph the dog, please to meet you" Um, Rolph (or Rolf), isn't it? I wasn't going to jump in, but it's Rowlf. Amy :) [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #13-18 ******************************