Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #13-19 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 13, Number 19 Saturday, 19 December 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: For Science and Muppets Re: NON-TMBG: best albums of year TMBG: non-tmbg-best movies Re: TMBG: ERR::Karen bitchs:: And other things. Re: NON-TMBG: Movies TMBG: bad movie TMBG: Kein Thema Re: NON-TMBG: best movies Re: NON-TMBG: worst movies Re: TMBG: For Science and Muppets TMBG: Albums of 1998 & STD TMBG: non-tmbg: philosophers Re: TMBG: For Science and Muppets Re: TMBG: For Science and Muppets Re: NON-TMBG: worst movies Re: TMBG: For Science and Muppets Re: TMBG: For Science and Muppets Re: TMBG: For Science and Muppets Re: TMBG: For Science and Muppets TMBG: Knitting Factory TMBG: Best album of 1998. Re: TMBG: For Science and Muppets Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: <6e8160c6.3679e0d0@aol.com> Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 23:57:52 EST Subject: TMBG: For Science and Muppets I dunno about that, but there are a couple of songs where ... I think it's Linnell, but he sounds IDENTICAL to Big Bird... I'm trying to remember what song... it's on Apollo 18... wanna say "Mammal," but I know that's wrong... ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981218054031.25600.rocketmail@send202.yahoomail.com> Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 21:40:31 -0800 (PST) From: Justin Tittelfitz Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: best albums of year and for the best album of 1998 <> the dave matthew's band "before these crowded streets" with the propellerhead's "decksanddrumsandrockandroll" coming in a close second thank you ladies and gentlemen. _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981218054716.20709.rocketmail@send205.yahoomail.com> Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 21:47:16 -0800 (PST) From: Justin Tittelfitz Subject: TMBG: non-tmbg-best movies greatest movies of all time: seven so i married an axe murderer trainspotting titanic (sorry) goldfinger citizen kane the fifth element apocalypse now fargo pulp fiction a clockwork orange repo man and the album (which was most definitely the best of 1997) good enough to carry over into 1998, and become that year's best album: radiohead - ok computer _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981218060531.8498.rocketmail@send204.yahoomail.com> Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 22:05:31 -0800 (PST) From: Justin Tittelfitz Subject: Re: TMBG: ERR::Karen bitchs:: And other things. > >I've found that TMBG's earlier stuff is a lot better than they're > >newer stuff. > >But, I dunno', I guess to me, it seems as though TMBG has sold out a > >little. They used to have songs that got right to the point and > >avoided all of the glitz of modern day music. But, if you listen (in > >their newer songs) the music seems out washed by a brass section and When I first > saw the "Snail Shell" vidio, I thought, "Oh shit! TMBG's goin' > mainstream!" It was just SO different from all the other ones, made > before hand. to quote the tool song "hooker with a penis"(expletives **'ed for sanitation sake): "I met a boy wearing Vans, 501s, and a Dope Beastie t, nipple rings, and New tattoos that claimed that he Was OGT, From '92, The first EP. And in between Sips of Coke He told me that He thought We were sellin' out, Layin' down, Suckin' up To the man. Well now I've got some A-dvice for you, little buddy. Before you point the finger You should know that I'm the man, And if I'm the man, Then you're the man, and He's the man as well so you can Point that f**kin' finger up your ass. All you know about me is what I've sold you, Dumb f**k. I sold out long before you ever heard my name. I sold my soul to make a record, Dip s**t, And you bought one. All you read and Wear or see and Hear on TV Is a product Begging for your Fatass dirty Dollar So...Shut up and Buy my new record Send more money F**k you, buddy." how can a band "sell out" when the nature of their profession is very commercial? sure, the music might become more or less similar to other people's music, but that doesn't really change anything. who is to say that music which bears similarities to other songs is less good? especially when tmbg's stuff is still 100 million miles away from everyone else's stuff. they just used to be 115.63 million miles away, that's all. well, hope that made sense _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3679FB31.8CBA7A25@tc.umn.edu> Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 00:50:25 -0600 From: Laura Miller Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Movies leonard helfgott wrote: > I'll throw my 2 cents (or about 10 movies) in here. > 1: ISHTAR (people say it's the worst ever, but that makes it oh so much > better) > 2: This Is Spinal Tap > 3: Labyrinth > 4: Howard the Duck > 5: Listen to me > 6: Blazing Saddles > 7: The Producers > 8: The Rocky Horror Picture Show > 9: Farenheit 451 > 10: Men At Work (no, not the band) Since you mentioned Ishtar, just what is it that makes people think its so bad? I'm curious, I've heard a lot of bad things about the movie, yet I have no idea what its even about. Laura ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 03:15:43 +0100 From: beknowles@vassar.edu (Ben Knowles) Subject: TMBG: bad movie Message-id: <01J5GV9J9WBM00NRRL@VASSAR.EDU> >10: Men At Work (no, not the band) this is the worst movie i've ever seen. it has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. it was so bad i had nightmares for a year and had to go into psychotherapy. sorry, i just had to express that. nub ------------------------------ From: "Leon X. Deggs" Subject: TMBG: Kein Thema Message-Id: <913970570.26809.803@excite.com> Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 00:42:50 PST Leute, I want to explain a few things, throw some more pennycents at people and then disappear for the festive season. I was wrong about which song The English Beat did on Ferris Bueller's. I'm not from London and have /never/ lived there, so picking a fight would be difficult. I am, however, in Berlin, Germany. And I can speak German. (just for info, not to show I'm clever or summink) I keep wondering why people are forgetting to mention Eddi Reader's new album - Angels & Electricity. I feel she's finally managed to achieve the songwriting she came close to in Fairground Attraction. A perfect album. Not one crap or dull song - as has been seen on other previous albums. Concerning my top ten of albums, I shan't bother or bore you with my choices. But I /did/ like Tori's new one, I also picked up Severe Tire Damage, but wouldn't call it the best as some choices weren't what I wanted to hear. I am one of the (possibly) many people that haven't ever seen their favorite group live. And I wanted to hear 'Dinner Bell'. I've heard rumors about how good it was in England about 4 years ago. if anyone can direct me to a live MP3 or similar then you'll be in my will forever. Sorry to fart noxious guff in your faces and wish you /all/ (yes, /everyone/) a Merry Holiday and 'einen guten Rutsch'. Until then and keep well. L. _____________ Leon X. Deggs _______________________________________________________ Get your free, private e-mail at http://mail.excite.com/ ------------------------------ From: Batbrain99@aol.com Message-ID: <41f76b50.367a5d5e@aol.com> Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 08:49:18 EST Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: best movies In response to all this movie nonsense.... I believe most any movie done by Tim Burton...and Danny Elfman... (does anyone know if others are part of their little team?) is a good one. My most notable favorites are Batman Nightmare Before Christmas Two great classics that can be watched again and again. ~Batbrain * ---------------------------------------------- "If you mention Joel Schumacher, I shall crush thine head" ------------------------------ From: Batbrain99@aol.com Message-ID: <201a5403.367a5e6b@aol.com> Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 08:53:47 EST Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: worst movies Ok, in my opinion the worst movie of all time is From Dusk Till Dawn. I'm sure there are worse (Ringmaster? Showgirls? Spiceworld?) But I havent seen them. I can usually tell a bad movie by the commercials. Someone must have screwed up somewhere, because From Dusk Till Dawn actually did look like an ok movie. ~BatBrain ------------------------------ Message-ID: <019701be2aa3$9a75cd80$5999e7ce@Balloon> From: "Balloon" Subject: Re: TMBG: For Science and Muppets Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 11:29:35 -0500 >I dunno about that, but there are a couple of songs where ... I think it's >Linnell, but he sounds IDENTICAL to Big Bird... I'm trying to remember what >song... it's on Apollo 18... wanna say "Mammal," but I know that's wrong... > I'd have to say that its the last fingertips song..the "I, walked along darkened corridors" one -Eric "Action" Jackson http://i.am/HellHotel HellHotel@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 11:56:13 -0500 (EST) From: "Jason A. Glastetter" Subject: TMBG: Albums of 1998 & STD Message-ID: My favorite album of 1998, I think, would have to be Soul Coughing's "El Oso." (Someone else put it in their list.) However, I have to defend STD a little. Yeah, it's not the best album TMBG released, nor is it the best album of 1998. Still, compared to many of the albums that came out this year, it's still pretty damn good. (Maybe not even in my top 10, I'll have to think about it.) What I see it is as is a "Greatest Hits" album that people who have all the previous stuff will still buy. I know, personally, that if they had just decided to release all the songs on there as album versions & just stick in Dr. Worm, They Got Lost, First Kiss, & the themes, I probably would have yet to buy it. (Probably would've asked for it for Christmas or something) So, at least I give TMBG an A for effort on STD in 1998. jason "The monkeys! Shoot the monkeys!" glastetter ========================================= http://www.poingly.com Home of the infamous Poingly online game! ========================================= ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 11:07:11 -0700 (MST) From: Tara Weber Subject: TMBG: non-tmbg: philosophers Message-ID: >>1. Ayn Rand is not so much a novelist, but a philosopher. She is >> probably >>the greatest twentieth century American philosopher. While she is not >>widely known, she most likely will be soon. A couple of German >>philosophers >>from the nineteenth century, Marx and Engels, are known worldwide more >>than >>a century later. > > greatest philosopher of the 20th century my ass. ever heard of foucault? > heidegger? derrida? sartre? ayn rand's brand of ethics may be somewhat > influential, but isn't anything i'd call revolutionary. um, he did say 20th century *american* philosopher...as much as I wholeheartedly agree with you that Foucault, et al. completely dwarf Ayn Rand, there's that little factor to consider....when I first read the original post, I had the same thought, in fact: "Hey!! What about Foucault? Derrida? etc." and then I realized that apparently there haven't been very many american philosophers of note in the 20th century, if Ayn Rand is at the top of the heap.... --Tara, who's finally going to have time to finish _Madness and Civilization_ over break.... ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 14:52:14 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: For Science and Muppets Message-ID: <19981218.145218.8902.0.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A Klein) No, I always thought he sounded like Kermit The Frog in that part of fingertips. Derek "What is everyone staring at?" On Fri, 18 Dec 1998 11:29:35 -0500 "Balloon" writes: > > >>I dunno about that, but there are a couple of songs where ... I think >it's >>Linnell, but he sounds IDENTICAL to Big Bird... I'm trying to >remember what >>song... it's on Apollo 18... wanna say "Mammal," but I know that's >wrong... >> >I'd have to say that its the last fingertips song..the "I, walked >along >darkened corridors" one > >-Eric "Action" Jackson >http://i.am/HellHotel >HellHotel@tmbg.org > > > ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981218213535.22612.rocketmail@send205.yahoomail.com> Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 13:35:35 -0800 (PST) From: Happy Cow Subject: Re: TMBG: For Science and Muppets I'd have to say that he sounds more like Kermit the Frog than Big Bird in fingertips... In the end of the song, "They Might Be Giants", I think they sound a little like Cookie Monster.... == ~Connie~ "Life is three-dimensional...unless you live in the T.V." _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981218221720.25749.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Todd Wetherbee" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: worst movies Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 14:17:20 PST >Ok, in my opinion the worst movie of all time is >From Dusk Till Dawn. >I'm sure there are worse (Ringmaster? Showgirls? Spiceworld?) >But I havent seen them. I can usually tell a bad movie by the commercials. >Someone must have screwed up somewhere, because From Dusk Till Dawn actually >did look like an ok movie. >~BatBrain > That was your problem. you saw the commercials. I had no idea what to expect going in to the movie and dug it. I tend to turn the channel when I see a preview come on, unless it's something I don't want to see at all, and then I figure I can watch the whole freakin' movie without wasting time or money. Farside ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981218225154.28241.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Mike McGuire" Subject: Re: TMBG: For Science and Muppets Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 14:51:54 PST I think he has a small flair of Kermit the Frogitis in We've Got a World That Swings. *Mike* >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 14:52:14 -0500 >Subject: Re: TMBG: For Science and Muppets >From: captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A Klein) >Reply-To: captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A Klein) > >No, I always thought he sounded like Kermit The Frog in that part of >fingertips. > >Derek >"What is everyone staring at?" > >On Fri, 18 Dec 1998 11:29:35 -0500 "Balloon" >writes: >> >> >>>I dunno about that, but there are a couple of songs where ... I think >>it's >>>Linnell, but he sounds IDENTICAL to Big Bird... I'm trying to >>remember what >>>song... it's on Apollo 18... wanna say "Mammal," but I know that's >>wrong... >>> >>I'd have to say that its the last fingertips song..the "I, walked >>along >>darkened corridors" one >> >>-Eric "Action" Jackson >>http://i.am/HellHotel >>HellHotel@tmbg.org >> >> >> > >___________________________________________________________________ >You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. >Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html >or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] > ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 18:01:31 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: For Science and Muppets << I think he has a small flair of Kermit the Frogitis in We've Got a World That Swings. >> And let's not forget "32 Footsteps" :) Kay ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981218235643.22031.rocketmail@send201.yahoomail.com> Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 15:56:43 -0800 (PST) From: Me Subject: Re: TMBG: For Science and Muppets ---Balloon wrote: Actually, he sounds like Big Bird on a lot of his stuff. I was listening to John Henry today and really noticed that. His lyrics usually aren't Big Bird-esque, but the vocal similarities are certainly there. If he ever wants another job... ;) Another similarity between Linnell and a TV character: does anyone else think he kind of sounds like Cartman in "I've Got A Match" off of Lincoln? Both of them kind of have that uni-vowel thing going on. Inspector Over the Mine _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: RabbiVole@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 19:06:18 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: For Science and Muppets In a message dated 98-12-18 18:57:33 EST, anang76@yahoo.com writes: << Another similarity between Linnell and a TV character: does anyone else think he kind of sounds like Cartman in "I've Got A Match" off of Lincoln? Both of them kind of have that uni-vowel thing going on. >> This is gonna get me shunned for life, I know, but--I can't resist; and shouldn't, for unquenched urges would plague my mind in seeking its terminal ill. I show perpetual love for John Linnell, and all that which the man touches corporeally or spiritually: this is meant to be far, far from derogatory, just something brewing in my head for so long it deems release of paramount necessity. Well: speaking of the resemblences of his voice to those of TV characters, in an interview a while back, our Linnell bore some .. likeness ... to Beavis and Butthead's hippie teacher. Took me a while to figure that out, too; for days I held my head in the pain of overwork as I tried to figure out just where I'd perhaps heard a similar sound--and upon the epiphany of understanding I felt as disgusted with myself as if I'd given up beforehand. ah, well. Feel free to pelt me with rotten vegetables and other nasty, unpleasant things. Lord knows my perverted brain is rotten enough without the company, as is now evident. peace, love, and good happiness stuff, jay, who deems that he should kiss you all before asked ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000701be2af1$c07aa2a0$54d12581@oemcomputer> From: "kelspots" Subject: TMBG: Knitting Factory Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 20:48:57 -0500 Does anyone know the date of the 1988 Knitting Factory show? Amy :) Come trade with me! http://www.strangemud.net/~agreen/boots.html [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 21:17:30 -0500 (EST) From: "mike@journalx.com" Subject: TMBG: Best album of 1998. Message-ID: If I do one thing of any real import this year, it is to proclaim David Yazbek's TOCK as the best album of 1998. It seems silly to walk into a record store and buy an album purely on a stranger's recommendation without having heard any of it, but in this particular case, this is precisely what you have to do. Find it under Yazbek, but do find it. Blew me away. And I say this without having heard the new albums by R.E.M., Beck, Costello and Bacharach, or Sloan, all of which I'm sure are wonderful, but one thing I do know is that Yazbek is pure pop perfection. One other CD of great significance released in 1998 is the remastered collector's edition of John Williams' score to Close Encounters Of The Third Kind. Composed the same year in which Williams created the music for Star Wars, this score achieves similar heights of greatness. And I'll say this about Labyrinth, against my better judgment: a fine film, well worth seeing in widescreen. It was a huge financial failure upon its release and as a result, Jim Henson never directed another movie. Interesting to note that it was co-written by Monty Pythoner Terry Jones, which accounts for its absurd sense of humour. MIKe www.journalx.com Last CD purchased: AKIRA - original soundtrack Last LPs purchased: R.E.M. - Green Suzanne Vega - Days Of Open Hand - 99.9 F. Degrees Joe Jackson - Night And Day Simple Minds - Sparkle In The Rain Last movie seen: Orgazmo Last vegetable eaten: cauliflower ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 18:29:32 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: For Science and Muppets Message-ID: <19981218.231320.-221491.1.gray42@juno.com> From: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) On Fri, 18 Dec 1998 11:29:35 -0500 "Balloon" writes: > > >>I dunno about that, but there are a couple of songs where ... I think >it's >>Linnell, but he sounds IDENTICAL to Big Bird... I'm trying to >remember what >>song... it's on Apollo 18... wanna say "Mammal," but I know that's >wrong... >> >I'd have to say that its the last fingertips song..the "I, walked >along >darkened corridors" one gee, I always felt that sounded more like Kermit. There are two others that have major muppet qualities. "They Might Be Giants", and "Poison Flowers" Mysterio Gal (completely out to lunch in squaresville) "often washed- seldom clean," --Jack M. Brewer MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 >-Eric "Action" Jackson >http://i.am/HellHotel >HellHotel@tmbg.org > > > ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #13-19 ******************************