Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #13-20 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 13, Number 20 Sunday, 20 December 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: tmbg dream TMBG: Re: tmbg dream TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #13-19 TMBG: My top 10 albums of 1998 (drumroll, please.....) Re: TMBG: For Science and Muppets Re: TMBG: My top 10 albums of 1998 (drumroll, please.....) Re: TMBG: My top 10 albums of 1998 (drumroll, please.....) Re: TMBG: best albums of 1998 not really TMBG Re: TMBG: My top 10 albums of 1998 (drumroll, please.....) even more non-TMBG Re: TMBG: My top 10 albums of 1998 (drumroll, please..... Re: not really TMBG Re: TMBG: My top 10 albums of 1998 (drumroll, please.... TMBG: no tmbg content...sorry (beastie boys) TMBG: My top 10 albums of 1998 (drumroll, please.....) Re: TMBG: My top 10 albums of 1998 (drumroll, please.....) Re: TMBG: no tmbg content...sorry (beastie boys) Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: wagner@mindspring.com Message-ID: <000d01be2b7a$735c8400$3d9645cf@computer> Subject: TMBG: tmbg dream Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 13:07:30 -0500 hi okay, i know that the tmbg-dream thread is pretty old, but i finally had a tmbg dream last night. here goes... okay, i was at a tmbg concert, but it was in a really small room (like a normal room that you'd see in a house) and there were only about 15 other people there. it was only john and john playing (although i don't remember seeing flans), they didn't have a backup band, and i don't think that they were using any backing tapes either. it had a xmas atmosphere -- there were xmas lights behind them on the wall and a xmas tree up. there weren't any seats, either, and everybody was spread out and sitting indian-style. i don't remember too much of the dream, but i do distinctly remember two parts: john linnel seemed to come 'out of the floor' and started singing "nothing's gonna change my clothes" and doing a broadway-ish dance. (i think that either flans was playing accordian (?!?) or they had a backing tape.) but when linnel was singing "ngcmc", he had a costume and he did motions along with the lyrics -- he had a long coat w/ a druid-looking hood on, and when he said "a snowman with protective yellow skin, a furry hat, etc" he took his hood off and he had yellow skin and curly hair and all that. the second thing was that at one point he came over right to where i was sitting and saw that i had a recorder hidden in my lap, and said "oh, um, you're not supposed to be recording this," and i said "oh, i'm sorry," and he jsut said "yeah, it's okay," and i said "do you want me to turn it off? cause i'll turn it off if you want me to." and he said "okay" and went back to the stage. but then i looked around and saw at least 2 other people that were obviously hiding recorders in their laps. i don't remember any more after that. okay, that's it. david. wagner. [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: wagner@mindspring.com Message-ID: <001e01be2b7a$e7063220$3d9645cf@computer> Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg dream Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 13:10:45 -0500 >>when he said "a snowman with protective yellow skin, a furry hat, etc" he took his hood off and he had yellow skin and d'oh, i mean "with protective rubber skin"...but he did have yellow skin. david. wagner. [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: FamKatz@aol.com Message-ID: <66508779.367bee4a@aol.com> Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 13:19:54 EST Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #13-19 please send this to TMBJon@aol.com instead of FamKatz@aol.com I changed SNs thank you ------------------------------ From: cambot@juno.com Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 14:14:41 -0500 Subject: TMBG: My top 10 albums of 1998 (drumroll, please.....) Message-ID: <19981219.141656.9094.0.Cambot@juno.com> Well, out of the 15 albums I've heard / bought that were released in 1998, here are my top 5 choices: 5) Beck - Mutations 4) Soul Coughing - El Oso 3) Semisonic - Feeling Strangely Fine 2) Mono Puff - It's Fun to Steal 1) Sloan - Navy Blues I know a lot of you are probably thinking "I hate Semisonic!!!!" or "Mono Puff over TMBG?!?!!". The only logical answer that I can say to all you is: I was a fan of Semisonic with their first album, Great Divide, so I really liked their new one, which just happened to sell a whole lot more than it. As for me choosing Mono Puff's "It's Fun to Steal" over STD, I just didn't think that the album was up to par for TMBG albums, especially when it wasn't really a real album to begin with (i.e. not a BRAND NEW studio album). And for the most disappionting album that I've had the pleasure to own this year, would have to be: (tie) MTV's 120 Minutes Live & Superdrag - Head Trip in Every Key Not very good albums, but not as bad as other releases in 1998. Steve! ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <004a01be2b82$ecfb7d40$5999e7ce@Balloon> From: "Balloon" Subject: Re: TMBG: For Science and Muppets Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 14:08:11 -0500 >>I'd have to say that its the last fingertips song..the "I, walked >>along >>darkened corridors" one > >gee, I always felt that sounded more like Kermit. Yup you are right, I got my muppets mixed up..sorry..he he... -Eric ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 15:27:00 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: My top 10 albums of 1998 (drumroll, please.....) In a message dated 12/19/98 2:10:07 PM, cambot@juno.com writes: >5) Beck - Mutations >4) Soul Coughing - El Oso >3) Semisonic - Feeling Strangely Fine >2) Mono Puff - It's Fun to Steal >1) Sloan - Navy Blues > 10? looks like 5..(i hated that first semisonic song, but the second one is really catchy..) anyway.. yes!:) i love you steve! i'm on so many lists that are doing this i can't remember if i posted mine here yet, but here (in the same decending order)... 10.barenaked ladies: stunt 9.beastie boys : hello nasty 8.moxy fruvous : live noise 7.ani difranco : little plastic castle 6.rufus wainwright : rufus wainwright 5.tragically hip : phantom power 4.they might be giants : severe tire damage 3.liz phair : whitechocolatespaceegg 2.mono puff : unsupervised 1.sloan : navy blues sarah members.aol.com/kdsinthhal ------------------------------ From: RabbiVole@aol.com Message-ID: <942d3fc9.367c2e99@aol.com> Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 17:54:17 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: My top 10 albums of 1998 (drumroll, please.....) --snip lotsa people mentioning their choices for top five/top ten albums of the year-- It might be about time I jumped on the bandwagon: if I didn't, I'd feel left out. Keep in mind, however, that I've only bought/extensively listened to three albums for the whole year, and only two of those were released in '98; not having any money puts many dampers on one's musical pursuits. So, without further ado, my top two albums of the year: 2. They Might Be Giants' "Severe Tire Damage" 1. Mono Puff's "It's Fun to Steal" If you believe me deprived in any way, bear in mind that I'm not a hermit. Even God needs money to buy stuff, nowadays. *sniffle* peace, love, and good happiness stuff, jay. ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 19:37:59 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: best albums of 1998 Message-ID: <19981219.193907.3974.3.TMBgirl@juno.com> >for those of you who don't know who they are, galactic is a new >orleans >jazz/funk band, they are soooo good. they remind me of something you >might >here on "fat albert" or "welcome back kotter". they're really, really >good. ooh i saw galactic on tour with widespread panic this summer... both groovy bands :) check 'em out! :) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::Last albums: CAKE: Prolonging the Magic::: SELF: Subliminal Plastic Motives::: ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 23:10:00 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: not really TMBG Re: TMBG: My top 10 albums of 1998 (drumroll, please.....) Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 19-Dec-98 Re: TMBG: My top 10 albums .. by KdsInThHal@aol.com > 9.beastie boys : hello nasty I must be one of the 7 people in the world that absolutely can't stand the beastie boys. or are there fewer than even that? am I really the only person who turns off the radio when Intergalactic comes on? Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "You keep handing out horseshoes * This space inadvertently Horseshoes have gotta be tossed." -Moxy Fruvous * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 23:11:01 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: even more non-TMBG Re: TMBG: My top 10 albums of 1998 (drumroll, please.....) er, sorry for that somewhat inflammatory post I made just a moment ago... I should have put some disclaimers in it at least. I do despise the beastie boys, but I don't mean to put down those who don't. Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "You keep handing out horseshoes * This space inadvertently Horseshoes have gotta be tossed." -Moxy Fruvous * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ From: RabbiVole@aol.com Message-ID: <85ddb340.367c7b6b@aol.com> Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 23:22:03 EST Subject: Re: not really TMBG Re: TMBG: My top 10 albums of 1998 (drumroll, please.....) mr. solomon wisely said: << I must be one of the 7 people in the world that absolutely can't stand the beastie boys. or are there fewer than even that? am I really the only person who turns off the radio when Intergalactic comes on? >> At least are there two; for I cannot stand the very mention of their name, and any trace hints of their "music" forces my sanity to part with uncanny, vile efficiency. So you're not the only person: just one of a small, enlightened group of individuals with at least one wonderful purpose ... NOT to listen to the Beastie Boys. :) peace, love, and good happiness stuff, jay. ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: no tmbg content...sorry (beastie boys) Message-ID: <19981220.011446.7543.2.sailormorningstar@juno.com> From: sailormorningstar@juno.com (Karen M Majetich) Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 01:18:18 EST I agree with you both! I really don't like the Beastie Boys either. No offense to anyone who likes them...or them themselves. But, to me, they completely lack any musical creativity and talent whatsoever.. I, of course, am biast because I really really dislike most rap.... However, that's just me. I guess that I just don't understand how people can listen to mindless rambling, that you can barely hear; with repeating music, over and over and over again. I must say that, yes, some rap is worth listening to, and is ok. But, for the most part I try to steer clear of it. It's stunts my creativity!...Or what little I have of it! tee hee hee. -Karen aka Celeste :P "Living Is Easy With Eyes Closed, Mis-Understanding All You See." -John Lennon....another fab John L! "I want to raise my freak flag higher and higher..." -TMBG "I don't want the world, I just want your half." -From 'Ana Ng' ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: <8c8b1da7.367c96e6@aol.com> Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 01:19:18 EST Subject: TMBG: My top 10 albums of 1998 (drumroll, please.....) O-tay. Here we sorta go. In No Real Order. Mighty Mighty Bosstones: Live From the Middle East Tilt: Collect 'Em All TMBG: STD Me First and the Gimme Gimmes: Have A Ball (i *think* this is 1998....) Rancid: LIfe Won't Wait (the ONLY album I went out of my way to get on the release date...) Dropkick Murphys: Do Or Die NOFX: So Long, etc... Mono Puff: IF2Steal KMFDM: Agogo (You MUST hear the KMFDM version of U2's "Mysterious Ways.") Yeah, it's funny. TMBG and Mono Puff are the only bands that sound anything remotely like pop that I will listen to... Mostly punk/ska/oi!.,... ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 01:28:25 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: My top 10 albums of 1998 (drumroll, please.....) Smoo! Forgot to tag on "Rot Your Brain" by The Decepticonz. ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <93acd184.367c9944@aol.com> Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 01:29:24 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: no tmbg content...sorry (beastie boys) In a message dated 12/20/98 1:19:44 AM, sailormorningstar@juno.com writes: >I agree with you both! I really don't like the Beastie Boys either. No >offense to anyone who likes them...or them themselves. But, to me, they >completely lack any musical creativity and talent whatsoever.. I, of >course, am biast because I really really dislike most rap.... However, >that's just me. I guess that I just don't understand how people can >listen to mindless rambling, that you can barely hear; with repeating >music, over and over and over again. I must say that, yes, some rap is >worth listening to, and is ok. But, for the most part I try to steer >clear of it. It's stunts my creativity!...Or what little I have of it! >tee hee hee. i'm not a fan of rap, and to be honest i'm not impressed with the beastie's radio singles. but the rest of their stuff is really great. especially on hello nasty, i mean half the songs on there you wouldn't imagine are the beastie boys.. there's even a loungey song or 2 on it. sarah ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #13-20 ******************************