Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #13-21 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 13, Number 21 Monday, 21 December 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: operation: poll #3 Re: TMBG: operation: poll #3 Re: NON-TMBG: (beastie boys) NON-TMBG:The Beastie Boys & Dave Matthews Band Re: TMBG: non-tmbg: philosophers TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #13-20 TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #13-20 TMBG:Tribute CD and DMB Re: TMBG:Tribute CD and DMB Re: NON-TMBG:The Beastie Boys & Dave Matthews Band Re: NON-TMBG:Dave Matthews Band Re: NON-TMBG:Dave Matthews Band Re: NON-TMBG:Dave Matthews Band Re: NON-TMBG:Dave Matthews Band Re: NON-TMBG: Dave Matthews Band Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <2fca68e7.367cf6f9@aol.com> Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 08:09:13 EST Subject: TMBG: operation: poll #3 http://www.pathfinder.com/people/sp/intrigue98/poll/index.html this was posted on the aol TMBG message board~ >> Hey everybody, guess what! There is another online poll! This time it is People Magazines:INTRIGUERS POLL 1998. I figured since we have already honored both the guys in a pole(Flans's poll may not be over yet, but he will certaintly end up with a top spot), why don't we vote for everybody. If you are going to do this with me, you need to type in "They Might Be Giants" exactly(without quotes, of course). So come on, we can do it! << we got John, we got John, now it's time to vote for: They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 10:33:19 -0600 (CST) From: Jim Subject: Re: TMBG: operation: poll #3 Message-ID: On Sun, 20 Dec 1998 KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: > >> Hey everybody, guess what! There is another online poll! > This time it is People Magazines:INTRIGUERS POLL 1998. I figured since > we have already honored both the guys in a pole(Flans's poll may not be > over yet, but he will certaintly end up with a top spot), why don't we > vote for everybody. If you are going to do this with me, you need to > type in "They Might Be Giants" exactly(without quotes, of course). So > come on, we can do it!<< > we got John, we got John, now it's time to vote for: > They Might Be Giants I voted for 'em, but let me tell ya . . . it was a huge moral struggle for me not to vote for Hank, the Angry Drunken Dwarf. ;] Jim!, the Angry Drunken TMBG Fan! ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 10:28:58 -0700 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: (beastie boys) Message-ID: <19981220.103237.3958.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> lps said: >am I really the only person who turns off the radio when Intergalactic >comes on? well... you see... the beastie boys have a lot more to themselves than the radio singles. i dunno... i guess i'm kinda biased cuz i think that sabotage was one of the first music videos i ever saw (if not the first). Yeahyeah... the life of someone without a TV. karen said: > But, to me, >they completely lack any musical creativity and talent whatsoever.. >I, of course, am biast because I really really dislike most rap.... ya know i think i'd agree with you on one level but i think of some of the earlier rappers... like Run DMC... and i can only be totally disappointed in what rap has progressed into today... i dunno, i've seen Coolio live (wow, was that an experience), and i've seen Run DMC live and it's amazing just to see the differences between the two... Sarah said: >i'm not a fan of rap, and to be honest i'm not impressed with the >beastie's >radio singles. but the rest of their stuff is really great. especially >on >hello nasty okay read all the messages regarding the thread before you post... but seriously... that's what it's all about. Ya can't judge a book by its cover. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 13:22:13 -0500 (EST) From: "Jason A. Glastetter" Subject: NON-TMBG:The Beastie Boys & Dave Matthews Band Message-ID: Well, first of all, I've got to say that in my dorm, as you walk down the halls you are bound to hear either the Beastie Boys or DMB playing. Personally, I like the Beastie Boys (not to any significant level when compared to TMBG). Among a lot of rap artists I've heard, I think they are some of the best (De La Soul being another great rap band that comes to mind). The thing about rap is as follows: when you first listen, it probably sounds like crap. This is a slight trick, because when you first listen to a song, you don't really get the feel of it. But let's say you've listened to it a couple times, there are things in the song that are just kind of almost hidden...it's like, wHOA! I can't believe I never noticed that. And of course, as you listen to it more, you start to understand the lyrics (some rappers are just bad & you'll never understand them) & it's completely amazing what they're saying (seriously, you trying to free form talk in rhythm for 4 minutes & make sense & rhyme). Plus, I think the Beastie Boys are somewhat humerous & lighthearted when compared to most of todays rap scene. While I'm at it, I'm going to say: Does anyone else on this list not like DMB? Just curious, in my mind they suck, not because of lack of talent, but because of lack of creativity & the fact that DMB KNOWS they're talented (always makes things problematic). jason "Sorry for the rant" glastetter ========================================= http://www.poingly.com Home of the infamous Poingly online game! ========================================= ------------------------------ Message-ID: <00e801be2c4b$ee8add80$7a8d00cf@tim3> From: "Tim Clark" Subject: Re: TMBG: non-tmbg: philosophers Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 14:06:48 -0500 I think Thomas Aquinas and Aristotle are the best for this century even though they arent from this century. At least Ayn Rand is not an idealist.... >>>1. Ayn Rand is not so much a novelist, but a philosopher. She is >>> probably >>>the greatest twentieth century American philosopher. While she is not >>>widely known, she most likely will be soon. A couple of German >>>philosophers >>>from the nineteenth century, Marx and Engels, are known worldwide more >>>than >>>a century later. >> >> greatest philosopher of the 20th century my ass. ever heard of foucault? >> heidegger? derrida? sartre? ayn rand's brand of ethics may be somewhat >> influential, but isn't anything i'd call revolutionary. > >um, he did say 20th century *american* philosopher...as much as I >wholeheartedly agree with you that Foucault, et al. completely dwarf Ayn >Rand, there's that little factor to consider....when I first read the >original post, I had the same thought, in fact: "Hey!! What about >Foucault? Derrida? etc." and then I realized that apparently there >haven't been very many american philosophers of note in the 20th century, >if Ayn Rand is at the top of the heap.... > >--Tara, >who's finally going to have time to finish _Madness and Civilization_ over >break.... > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000c01be2c4f$bf2a1fc0$7370d6d1@default> From: "David Rosenstein" Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #13-20 Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 13:34:20 -0600 Tmgirl@juno.com said: "take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::Last albums: CAKE: Prolonging the Magic::: SELF: Subliminal Plastic Motives:::" I justed want to say that it is great to see another Self fan. Their fan base is basically just in Tennessee, but if you can find the album you should go out and get it. It is a great album (A mix of pop, techno, and throw in some hip-hop). Just wanted to mention that. And....oh yeah...I love TMBG...woohoo. -Rosenstein "Scott, things aren't as happy as they used to be down here at the unemployment office. Joblessness is no longer just for philosophy majors. Useful people are starting to feel the pinch"-Kent Brockman ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 14:10:46 -0700 Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #13-20 Message-ID: <19981220.141308.3974.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> >> SELF: Subliminal Plastic Motives:::" > > I justed want to say that it is great to see another Self fan. >Their fan >base is basically just in Tennessee, but growing! Hail to murfreesboroans! >but if you can find the album you >should go out and get it. or even buy the dead man on campus soundtrack... they're on there with a really groovy song called "Paint by numbers!" (and the depeche mode tribute album... but i don't like the song they did... i think it's shame... but i dunno). > It is a great album (A mix of pop, techno, >and >throw in some hip-hop). seriously. as i was listening to it i likened it to everything from Nirvana to Beck. I think the best comparison for you TMBGers would be "You Were Spiraling." I've only got their hello disc but Self sounds a lot like a mix between them and Sloan :) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::just bought 4 of my buds It's Fun To Steal for xmas::: ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: ErgoTM@aol.com Message-ID: <18f702a6.367d7a9f@aol.com> Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 17:30:55 EST Subject: TMBG:Tribute CD and DMB I just got We Might Be Giants, Too in the mail, and it is very cool. My question is this, where does the song Ant come from, I have never heard it before. And known on to the DMB portion of the mail. I like DMB, there early stuff more than their later stuff though. Anyway at my high school talent show, there was this band called "Neverband" and they were excellent they sounded DMBesqe and all played there instruments very well. Just thought I would share pointlessly. Jeff "Yanni's faithful servant" Craig ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19981220173247.007a9100@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 17:32:47 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG:Tribute CD and DMB At 05:30 PM 12/20/98 EST, ErgoTM@aol.com wrote: > I just got We Might Be Giants, Too in the mail, and it is very cool. My >question is this, where does the song Ant come from, I have never heard it before. It's a b-side on the Istanbul EP. -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.crystal-night.com/~ctyner/tuscadero.html http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ He-Man, Tuscadero, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, & more! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <0qTMsj600WB=0CBXo0@andrew.cmu.edu> Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 18:54:23 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: NON-TMBG:The Beastie Boys & Dave Matthews Band Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 20-Dec-98 NON-TMBG:The Beastie Boys &.. by Jason Glastetter@mailbox > While I'm at it, I'm going to say: Does anyone else on this list not like > DMB? Just curious, in my mind they suck, not because of lack of talent, > but because of lack of creativity & the fact that DMB KNOWS they're > talented (always makes things problematic). I don't dislike them, but I don't care much for them, either... the vocals are a little... um, grating... they sound like they have an awful lot of talent, and it seems like it is being used... just not for something that I care to listen to. :) I'm not sure that just *knowing* they're talented is a bad thing... taking advantage of that knowledge would be - i.e. "We're so talented, you must bow before us," which I don't see much in the popular music world because, well... most popular bands today have very little actual musical talent. Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "You keep handing out horseshoes * This space inadvertently Horseshoes have gotta be tossed." -Moxy Fruvous * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 19:39:23 -0600 (CST) From: bill tatalovich Subject: Re: NON-TMBG:Dave Matthews Band Message-ID: On Sun, 20 Dec 1998, Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > [note: "them" is Dave Matthews Band] > I don't dislike them, but I don't care much for them, either... the > vocals are a little... um, grating... they sound like they have an awful > lot of talent, and it seems like it is being used... just not for > something that I care to listen to. :) Speaking of DMB vocals....I hate to (possibly) do this, but has anyone else noticed how much "Circles" (the Soul Coughing song) sounds like a Dave Matthews b-side or something? Just in terms of the vocals and the acoustic guitar....I have trouble listening to that song now merely because a friend of mine likened that song to a DMB song (what does that tell you of my opinion of DMB?). Oh, and my best of 1998 list is coming soon...possibly later tonight. Not that anyone cares, but whatever.... The Rev |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| | Reverend Bill Tatalovich | Home page: | | | http://students.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/ | | wt3@cec.wustl.edu |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ | personnel@kwur.wustl.edu | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ From: wagner@mindspring.com Message-ID: <004a01be2c8b$228d1460$972f56d1@computer> Subject: Re: NON-TMBG:Dave Matthews Band Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 21:39:27 -0500 >Speaking of DMB vocals....I hate to (possibly) do this, but has anyone >else noticed how much "Circles" (the Soul Coughing song) sounds like a >Dave Matthews b-side or something? Just in terms of the vocals and the >acoustic guitar.... yes!!! i do like dmb but i've kinda ignored them b/c of the people that like them -- they're all so...similar, i guess. but the first time i heard "circles," i (sarcastically) thought "oh, great, here's another band that's trying to sound like dmb/phish/widespread panic, great, here we go again." not that i don't like bands like dmb and phish, i do like those bands, but i just don't like the people associated w/ those bands -- they're fans and stuff. i'm sure a lot of you know what i mean...does that song accurately represent soul coughing? b/c i remember a thread a while back about how SC is so similar to TMBG, and when i heard that song i was surprised. david. wagner. ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 22:59:20 -0700 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG:Dave Matthews Band Message-ID: <19981220.225923.15022.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> >yes!!! i do like dmb but i've kinda ignored them b/c of the people >that like >them -- they're all so...similar, i guess ah geez... there we go stereotyping people... ERG! if i was to do that i'd have to just straight up assume that i'm surrounded by (and currently talking to) a bunch of dorks. which is, you know, the TMBG stereotypical fan. I mean come on! >not that i don't like bands like dmb and phish, i do like those bands, >but i >just don't like the people associated w/ those bands -- they're fans >and >stuff. uhm... hello... they have a cult-status following and so does TMBG. i'm sure a lot of you know what i mean...does that song >accurately >represent soul coughing? i think the song accurately represents what soul coughing has progressed into. b/c i remember a thread a while back about >how SC >is so similar to TMBG, and when i heard that song i was surprised. SC sounding like TMBG? i don't remember that thread at all... in fact, that's crazy... it's TMBG fans that have soul coughing's "hello" disc and honestly, one listen to that will tell you that they have little in common... and as of late the only thing they really have in common is pat dillet :) how odd is it that Soul Coughing and DMB come up in the same thread? don't they thank DMB in El Oso? take it easy, :::JOrdaN::: http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html the snow gods finally listened...going boarding tomorrow! :) ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19981221010745.007b1100@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 01:07:45 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: NON-TMBG:Dave Matthews Band At 10:59 PM 12/20/98 -0700, tmbgirl@juno.com wrote: > >ah geez... there we go stereotyping people... ERG! >if i was to do that i'd have to just straight up assume that i'm >surrounded by (and currently talking to) a bunch of dorks. which is, you >know, the TMBG stereotypical fan. I mean come on! Well, I'm a dork, and proud of it! :-) > >uhm... hello... they have a cult-status following and so does TMBG. I usually think of "cult status" referring to a small, but devoted group of fans. How many times does an album have to go platinum before a band goes from cult to mainstream? :-) -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.crystal-night.com/~ctyner/tuscadero.html http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ He-Man, Tuscadero, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, & more! ------------------------------ From: RabbiVole@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 01:59:44 EST Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Dave Matthews Band sir lawrence solomon said: << I don't dislike them, but I don't care much for them, either... the vocals are a little... um, grating... they sound like they have an awful lot of talent, and it seems like it is being used... just not for something that I care to listen to. :) --snip-- most popular bands today have very little actual musical talent. >> I'd agree with that last statement, as listening to any youth-oriented contemporary radio station for thirty seconds would inform us; and my thought does encompass that DMB are certainly more talented than much other mainstream pop music. I must digress on one point, however: I should hardly begin to call them truly talented, more referring to them as .. well, the lesser of many evils, one which doesn't grate my ear so much as the rest. Dave Matthews has willingly delegated himself to the status of a not-so-great guitar player, with which I concur; and Leroi Moore, the band's saxophonist and arranger, though a competent jazz musician--Thelonius Monk he ain't, and their music reflects that in its simplicity. (disclaimer: some people like simplicity. i do, too; tmbg are simple, musically. but some simples i like, and some i don't) Lyrically Matthews is no giant, either: I can't listen to anything past Under The Table without feeling somewhat.. dirty. ;) Perhaps I am a bit nitpicky. It comes along with the territory of being the most foolishly arrogant SOB on earth, duh. tmbgirl then said: << if i was to do that i'd have to just straight up assume that i'm surrounded by (and currently talking to) a bunch of dorks. which is, you know, the TMBG stereotypical fan. I mean come on! >> *scratching head* Well, I readily admit to being a dork: aside from a shattered ego, it's the only piece of an identity that I can readily claim. Stereotyping is fun, 'cause 95% of the time it's true. and again: << uhm... hello... they have a cult-status following and so does TMBG. >> DMB? After three consecutive multiplatinum albums earned them the ability to sell out stadiums without any second thought to doing so? Cult status? Nae, I'd say not. In fact, I'd venture to say that they're ... Popular. Eek! There goes my pre-requisite for liking a band! peace, love, and good happiness stuff, jay. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #13-21 ******************************