Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #13-22 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 13, Number 22 Tuesday, 22 December 1998 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: best albums of the year Re: TMBG: best albums of the year Re: Subject: TMBG: Best album of 1998. TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #13-21 Re: NON-TMBG:Dave Matthews Band Re: NON-TMBG:Dave Matthews Band NONTMBG: DMB & Circles TMBG: screw-ups non-TMBG:Best Reissue/Compliations of 1998 TMBG: music clubs etc. Re: non-TMBG:Best Reissue/Compliations of 1998 Re: NON-TMBG: Dave Matthews Band and other stuff Re: NON-TMBG: Dave Matthews Band and other stuff Re: NON-TMBG:Dave Matthews Band TMBG: rap, o lovely rap... Re: TMBG: rap, o lovely rap... Re: TMBG: rap, o lovely rap... Non-TMBG:Pixies and Monopuff Re: NON-TMBG:Dave Matthews Band TMBG: Lil' Depressed boy Re: TMBG: Lil' Depressed boy Re: NON-TMBG: Other Stuff like Spoons Re: NON-TMBG: Other Stuff like Spoons Re: NON-TMBG: Other Stuff like Spoons Re: NON-TMBG:Dave Matthews Band Re: TMBG: rap, o lovely rap... Re: NON-TMBG: Other Stuff like Spoons Re: NON-TMBG: Dave Matthews Band and other stuff TMBG: dorky-ness(Ok! So its not a word)::shrugs:: Re: NON-TMBG: Dave Matthews Band and other stuff Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 02:21:57 -0600 (CST) From: bill tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: best albums of the year Message-ID: Hey all-- First off, it's good to see that one of my thread ideas was actually followed....I always find people's "best of" lists to be intriguing. So, after much deliberation, I finally made my top ten list for the year. I haven't seen many of these albums on anyone else's list...not sure why. Anyway...here goes: 1. Hayden -- The Closer I Get (Outpost) Folky, personal stuff from North of the border (Sarah? Like him?). Sure, this guy can't sing...but it's some amazing songwriting. 2. Knapsack -- This Conversation is Ending Starting Right Now (Alias) My stupid punk album of the year, more or less. This album is so damned catchy...every song has been rattling around in my mind. (and that's a good thing!) 3. Bran Van 3000 -- Glee (Capitol) Surprised? I thought so...this band runs through genres faster than my younger brother on speed, but it all works. And come on, they covered Quiet Riot....how can you go wrong? 4. Brandtson -- Letterbox (Deep Elm) The first of two emo albums in the top ten for me. Great live band, and wonderfully distressing songs. 5. Karl Hendricks Trio -- Declare Your Weapons (Merge) I'm so glad this guy keeps making records. Not quite punk, not quite pop...just somewhere in between the two. Great album. 6. Versus -- Two Cents Plus Tax (Caroline) Another band I got sold on by seeing them live. Wonderful dual vox (male/female), and great songwriting. 7. Cursive -- The Storms of Early Summer: Semantics of Song (Saddle Creek) Stereotypical emo, but I still really really like it. 8. Belle and Sebastian -- The Boy with the Arab Strap (Matador) They're just so gosh darn cute...damn it, everyone here should listen to this band at least once! 9. Bob Mould -- The Last Dog and Pony Show (Ryko) My own personal music god makes another record. He's gettin' older, but he can still belt out some great songs. 10. UNKLE -- Psyence Fiction (Mo' Wax) DJ Shadow + many wonderful guests = good record. Runners-up: Mineral (RIP)--End Serenading Posies (RIP)--Success Appleseed Cast--The End of the Ring Wars Einsturzende Neubauten--Ende Neu Jello Biafra--If Evolution is Outlawed, Only Outlaws will Evolve Possum Dixon--New Sheets Pernice Brothers--Overcome by Happiness Tuscadero--My Way or the Highway Karate--The Bed is in the Ocean (see? told you it was good) Jawbox (RIP)--My Scrapbook of Fatal Accidents I really dug this year musically...as you can probably tell from my twenty choices for good albums this year. And there were more, believe you me. Ah well...maybe someone will respond to some of these albums. Until then, g'night, all. The Rev P.S. If, for some strange reason, you want to see more detail of my top ten list, go to my home page....address is below. |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| | Reverend Bill Tatalovich | Home page: | | | http://students.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/ | | wt3@cec.wustl.edu |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ | personnel@kwur.wustl.edu | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 03:34:09 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: best albums of the year In a message dated 12/21/98 3:32:34 AM, wt3@cec.wustl.edu writes: >3. Bran Van 3000 -- Glee (Capitol) > Surprised? I thought so...this band runs through genres faster > than my younger brother on speed, but it all works. And come on, > they covered Quiet Riot....how can you go wrong? mmm dunno, mine says c1997 on it... sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <367E2191.B453BC8F@pacificnet.net> Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 03:23:31 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: Re: Subject: TMBG: Best album of 1998. > > If I do one thing of any real import this year, it is to proclaim > David Yazbek's TOCK as the best album of 1998. It seems silly to walk into > a record store and buy an album purely on a stranger's recommendation > without having heard any of it, but in this particular case, this is > precisely what you have to do. Find it under Yazbek, but do find it. Blew > me away. > I'll second that recommendation! I wouldn't call it the my favorite CD of 98 but its up there. I actually thought his previous album ("The Laughing Man") was a little more fun but this one's great too. I think my favorite new album of '98 was R.E.M.'s "UP". Sorry TMBG, you didn't come in first this year but if I were to pick a favorite song for '98 it's "Dr. Worm". Most disappointing album of 98: The Cardigans' "Gran Turismo". Not bad just disappointing. Maybe they thought they'd sell more CDs is they sounded a little "cooler". They went from something unique to sounding like a lot of other cold, jaded bands. Oh well, at least I found a great CD of Cardigans rarities this year. Wait a second! ... did Lincoln's album come out in '98? I think it did. Its a close second to REM. -B O N G O [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: FamKatz@aol.com Message-ID: <87e114fd.367e7057@aol.com> Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 10:59:19 EST Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #13-21 PLEASE send this to TMBJon@aol.com NOT FamKatz@aol.com ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 09:16:19 -0700 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG:Dave Matthews Band Message-ID: <19981221.091807.3974.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> >Well, I'm a dork, and proud of it! :-) way to go! >I usually think of "cult status" referring to a small, but devoted >group of >fans. How many times does an album have to go platinum before a band >goes >from cult to mainstream? uh... widespread panic has albums that have gone platinum? i mean sure they can sell out Red Rocks when they come to CO, which, even Hanson couldn't do... but hmm... mebbe... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::erg! it finally snows and i have to work!::: ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19981221114512.007c9590@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 11:45:12 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: NON-TMBG:Dave Matthews Band At 09:16 AM 12/21/98 -0700, tmbgirl@juno.com wrote: > >uh... widespread panic has albums that have gone platinum? i mean sure >they can sell out Red Rocks when they come to CO, which, even Hanson >couldn't do... but hmm... mebbe... Hmmm...in the message I replied to, the only bands I saw mentioned were DMB & Phish. I don't know what Phish's sales are like, but I know DMB is a platinum-album-releasin' kinda band. -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.crystal-night.com/~ctyner/tuscadero.html http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ He-Man, Tuscadero, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, & more! ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 14:12:53 -0500 (EST) From: "Jason A. Glastetter" Subject: NONTMBG: DMB & Circles Message-ID: I started a thread. It's cool. Soul Coughing has been influenced, I think, by all the bands they've toured with. I think there's a little TMBGsoundingness in "Fully Retractable" & "So Far I Have Not Found the Science." "Circles" may have similarities to DMB, but when you listen to it, it's truly Soul Coughing, I think it shows up best during the "Doo-dab, doo-dab, I'm going, I'm going" part, but that's just me. And making it a single was a good idea on their part, because it sounds like one of the most "mainstream" songs on there. (I've heard Soul Coughing described as sounding like DMB if they had creativity.) By saying DMB has talent, is saying that they show their talent more than some band like GreenDay. However, knowing you are talented sucks, because you want to use/show off that talent all the time (Like soloing for 25 minutes in concert). jason "my last message of the year, probably" glastetter ========================================= http://www.poingly.com Home of the infamous Poingly online game! ========================================= ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 13:57:43 -0600 (CST) From: bill tatalovich Subject: TMBG: screw-ups Message-ID: Hey all-- Well, I knew it was going to happen. I posted my Best Of 1998 list, and then someone (namely Sarah) points out that one of my top albums was actually released in 1997 (namely the Bran Van 3000). D'oh, I say again. So I've changed it around a bit...but I won't post the whole thing again. Just go to my website if you want to see my list. And Sarah? I apologize for the slightly snippy e-mail I sent to you last night....bad night. Okay, that's it...I'm outta here. The Rev |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| | Reverend Bill Tatalovich | Home page: | | | http://students.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/ | | wt3@cec.wustl.edu |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ | personnel@kwur.wustl.edu | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ From: OHLERT@accuwx.com Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 20:25:13 +0000 (GMT) Subject: non-TMBG:Best Reissue/Compliations of 1998 Message-id: <01J5M247ODRMA0UELA@accuwx.com> Organization: AccuWeather, Inc Hi all, In this discussion of best albums of 1998, I realized that most of my purchases of CDs this year have been reissues/compliations. So here's my best in that department. (actually only 2, but they comprimise 10 CDs) 2. Have a Nice Decade (70's Box Set, 7 CDs, Rhino) 1. The Burt Bacharach Collection (3 CDs, Rhino) Peter ohlert@accuwx.com ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 13:50:22 -0700 Subject: TMBG: music clubs etc. Message-ID: <19981221.135025.3958.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> Hey HEY! so i was flipping through the BMG catalog last month and saw the feature on TMBG but i just got the Columbia House catalog with BNL plastered all over the front and was extra pleased to see the feature on the Paradigm Associated Lables... one of which is Big Deal records... Michael Shelley's label :) more TMBG relations... the Pixies (hello... Frank Black) are featured, as well as Harvey Danger. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 15:15:56 -0600 (CST) From: bill tatalovich Subject: Re: non-TMBG:Best Reissue/Compliations of 1998 Message-ID: On Mon, 21 Dec 1998 OHLERT@accuwx.com wrote: > In this discussion of best albums of 1998, I realized that most of my > purchases of CDs this year have been reissues/compliations. So here's my best > in that department. (actually only 2, but they comprimise 10 CDs) > > 2. Have a Nice Decade (70's Box Set, 7 CDs, Rhino) > 1. The Burt Bacharach Collection (3 CDs, Rhino) Ooo! And don't forget the Phil Ochs retrospective, Farewells and Fantasies....3 CDs of the best "protest singer" you'll ever hear. Great stuff. And, if you have lots and lots of money, how about the newest John Coltrane retrospective that has come out....10 discs, I think? But hey, it's Coltrane...it's well worth every penny. The Rev, posting more lately than in the past two months combined |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| | Reverend Bill Tatalovich | Home page: | | | http://students.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/ | | wt3@cec.wustl.edu |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ | personnel@kwur.wustl.edu | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ From: linnel@snet.net Message-Id: <199812212128.QAA04525@pop.snet.net> Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 16:25:31 -0500 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Dave Matthews Band and other stuff > > I'm not sure that just *knowing* they're talented is a bad thing... > taking advantage of that knowledge would be - i.e. "We're so talented, > you must bow before us," which I don't see much in the popular music > world because, well... most popular bands today have very little actual > musical talent. amen, brother. but you forgot to take into the considerationg the coolness factor, here. in this day and age, the popular music does not boast about their musical talent not only because they don't have any, but because it's "cool" to pretend you hate yourself. or so it seems. i could imagine seeing many of the un-talented so-called musicians going on a total ego trip, but then they wouldn't be as popular. just observe, and you'll notice the same... besides, it seems that people today DO believe that many of the bands that in fact have very little if nay musical talent are in fact bursting at the seems with musical gifts. i found that actually playing instruments can enlighten you very much to how simple those repetitive three chords are and how mind-numbing it gets : ) speaking of playing instruments... what kind of stuff does everyone play instrument wise? (and NO... the spoons do NOT count) adios... or a dios.... goodbye or a god. jen jen ------------------------------ From: RabbiVole@aol.com Message-ID: <9d88a5b0.367ec29f@aol.com> Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 16:50:23 EST Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Dave Matthews Band and other stuff jen wrote: << speaking of playing instruments... what kind of stuff does everyone play instrument wise? (and NO... the spoons do NOT count) >> I am Jim, and I play guitar; both contemporary and classical (thus the soemwhat long right-hand nails, good for scaring little children). I'm fond as well of the keys, though not so skillful at them; and very occasionally some woodwinds (sax, clarinet). Vera fun, it all is. *beam* peace, love, and good happiness stuff, jim/jay/james, the notoriously prissy off topic poster ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981221221532.18619.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Todd Wetherbee" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG:Dave Matthews Band Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 14:15:32 PST >>uhm... hello... they have a cult-status following and so does TMBG. > >I usually think of "cult status" referring to a small, but devoted group of >fans. How many times does an album have to go platinum before a band goes >from cult to mainstream? :-) > >-Adam Cult status seems to me to mean that there's a fan group that has gotten into the band and loves them completely for their intrinsic value, there's a fan (or anti-fan) group that has gotten into the band and decided they didn't like it, and there's a fan (or non-fan) group that hasn't REALLY listened to the band. I don't think the size of any of the groups matter, as long as they're proportional. sorry about sounding like a real geek just then (I just defined cult status? what was i thinking?) but I just got done programming the hell out of some COBOL and I have yet to regain the use of colloquilisms. Farside ps. there are NO other phish fans on this list? spreadheads? gaak. why is that? I know of one other TMBG\Phish fan in the world. I don't understand. granted, their music is different in format, but to me it seems to be moving closer together every day. TMBG keeps touring with phunky bass players and rocking out more in concert. (Graham Maby was, especially, the shit. I'd love to see Mike Gordon play bass for TMBG, but this is, of course, unlikely.) The new phish disk, Story of the Ghost, sounds more like TMBG than anything they've ever done both vocally and instrumentally (especiall Brian & Robert). Of course, the live experience is still VERY different, but both bands are still evolving. and who was the cat who said he taught Mike how to play accordian? Maybe phish'll whip out a tmbg song one of these days... if they do, i think it'd be page singing Linnell's part and playing accordian(or keys) with Mike singing Flansburgh's part. (okay maybe trey. i dunno) Anyway, I have completely digressed and as i realize that I am rapidly shifting out of COBOL mode, I notice that the ps part of the post is much longer than the regular part, which reminds me of a woman with a fat butt and no boobs. ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: FamousName@aol.com Message-ID: <5e18c1dc.367ecac5@aol.com> Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 17:25:09 EST Subject: TMBG: rap, o lovely rap... you mean rap lyrics are about more than just reducing women to bitches and hos and raping cops for revenge? who woulda thought? jose ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.6.32.19981221163047.008683e0@pop.mindspring.com > Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 16:30:47 -0600 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: rap, o lovely rap... At 05:25 PM 12/21/98 EST, you wrote: >you mean rap lyrics are about more than just reducing women to bitches and hos >and raping cops for revenge? who woulda thought? > As my first official act after returning tho the list, I'm gonna defend rap and hip hop against folks who group it all together. You are thinking of what is termed "Gangsta Rap," this itself is not rap, it is one of the many forms. This would be the group you put Easy E, Snoop Dogg, or Biggie Smalls in. There is also what is now termed "Old School Rap" (which coincidently, is nowhere near what they called Old School back in those days) which consists of folks like the Beastie Boys (who still continue to have an Old School feel to their rap songs, yes folks, they do more than rap, they also do a little bit of Hardcore, considering they started out as a hardcore band), Run DMC, the fat boys, DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince, and Biz Markie. These artists have a more wholesome feeling to them, sure they might rap about sex and such, but they don't use the earlier mentioned terms. There are also a large amount of other types of Rap that I have not covered, but I felt like I'd point this out. I am a rap fan, and am in a rap band, THE LI'L "GUESS WHO'S BACK?!?" DEPRESSED BOY -- http://www.mp3.com/idolv Download some of my music. -- http://members.xoom.com/MaxxIda/ The Official Sam Kieth Webpage - The Maxx IDA -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. | The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 17:45:05 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: rap, o lovely rap... Message-ID: <19981221.174509.6478.0.Mr.Train@juno.com> From: mr.train@juno.com (Tim J Murphy) I gotta say.. I really like The Fresh Prince... not Will Smith, but the Fresh Prince. I just bought DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince's Greatest Hits CD and it is pure money. I really like novelty rap... which is why I usually like the things the Beastie Boys, who were in my opinion a novelty rap group that was taken too far and too seriously and turned into guys who are great at what they do... You can't tell me you can listen to Girl's Ain't Nothin' But trouble or Parents Just Don't Understand and not laugh... I won't let you tell me Tim, don't mean to bust your bubble... but girls of the world ain't nothin' but trouble Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update: ? Last CD purchase(s): Billy Joel's Greatest Hit I & II (present for my sis) Favorite mainstream song: - - ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 17:58:33 EST Subject: Non-TMBG:Pixies and Monopuff <> Yay! Pixies. For all of you Pixies fans out there doesn't the beginning of Bossanova kinda remind you of the beginning of Monopuffs Unsupervised? well I think so anyways. -Amber the Transcendent Mistress of the Known Cosmos ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <93aee26f.367ed7c1@aol.com> Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 18:20:33 EST Subject: Re: NON-TMBG:Dave Matthews Band In a message dated 12/21/98 5:17:53 PM, morning_pilaf@hotmail.com writes: >ps. there are NO other phish fans on this list? spreadheads? gaak. > >why is that? I know of one other TMBG\Phish fan in the world. I don't > >understand. don't sweat it, there are. i don't happen to be one, but. i'm not into that whole.. phish/dmb/grateful dead jamming kinda bag. it's not my scene, baby. speaking of that though, there's a ben & jerry's "phish food" in my freezer and no one knows how it got there... hmm. wonder if it belonged to someone else in the grocery line or something, how very strange. hehe, so maybe there's a stoner out there somewhere .. "dude! where's my phish food? i went to the store..." while it's sitting in my freezer untouched. hmm. anyway sarah http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/ "kurt's still cool and angus rules and that's alllllllllright" (sloan) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000801be2d3b$4fff3bc0$5999e7ce@Balloon> From: "Balloon" Subject: TMBG: Lil' Depressed boy Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 18:40:36 -0500 >THE LI'L "GUESS WHO'S BACK?!?" DEPRESSED BOY Where did ya go? and where did your web page go??? I enjoyed it thourghouly! Eric "Action" Jackson ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.6.32.19981221174319.00863710@pop.mindspring.com > Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 17:43:19 -0600 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: Lil' Depressed boy At 06:40 PM 12/21/98 -0500, you wrote: >>THE LI'L "GUESS WHO'S BACK?!?" DEPRESSED BOY > > >Where did ya go? and where did your web page go??? I enjoyed it thourghouly! > Switched ISPs, left the one I helped form, because service for me was sh*te and all the problems were blamed on me. So I left, and forgot to resubscribe to the list. Now I'm trying to find some new webspace to put up my old (but soon to be revised) TMBG site. Thanks for liking it, I'll try and get it back up ASAP. Li'l "Download my music" Depressed Boy -- http://www.mp3.com/idolv Download some of my music. -- http://members.xoom.com/MaxxIda/ The Official Sam Kieth Webpage - The Maxx IDA -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. | The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981222013922.21526.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Mike McGuire" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Other Stuff like Spoons Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 17:39:21 PST Why don't the spoons count? I can't play them anyways, I play the forks. I play electric bass and djembe (an african hand drum) in a most peculiar band. *Mike* >From: linnel@snet.net >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 16:25:31 -0500 >Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Dave Matthews Band and other stuff >Reply-To: linnel@snet.net > > >> >> I'm not sure that just *knowing* they're talented is a bad thing... >> taking advantage of that knowledge would be - i.e. "We're so talented, >> you must bow before us," which I don't see much in the popular music >> world because, well... most popular bands today have very little actual >> musical talent. > >amen, brother. > >but you forgot to take into the considerationg the coolness factor, >here. > >in this day and age, the popular music does not boast about their >musical talent not only because they don't have any, but because >it's "cool" to pretend you hate yourself. or so it seems. i could >imagine seeing many of the un-talented so-called musicians going >on a total ego trip, but then they wouldn't be as popular. just >observe, and you'll notice the same... > >besides, it seems that people today DO believe that many of the >bands that in fact have very little if nay musical talent are in fact >bursting at the seems with musical gifts. i found that actually >playing instruments can enlighten you very much to how simple >those repetitive three chords are and how mind-numbing it gets : ) > >speaking of playing instruments... what kind of stuff does everyone >play instrument wise? (and NO... the spoons do NOT count) > >adios... or a dios.... goodbye or a god. > > jen > > > jen > ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: linnel@snet.net Message-Id: <199812220148.UAA19547@pop.snet.net> Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 20:45:54 -0500 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Other Stuff like Spoons > Why don't the spoons count? I can't play them anyways, I play the > forks. I play electric bass and djembe (an african hand drum) in a most > peculiar band. > sorry, man. forks don't count either. only knives, because they're easiest to kil...er, i mean entertain people. jen ------------------------------ From: OHLERT@accuwx.com Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 01:51:33 +0000 (GMT) Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Other Stuff like Spoons Message-id: <01J5MDHUKETEA0UHT2@accuwx.com> Organization: AccuWeather, Inc >speaking of playing instruments... what kind of stuff does everyone >play instrument wise? (and NO... the spoons do NOT count) Do you know how hard it is to play the spoons well? My grandmother can play them like a pro. I can play the guitar and am passable at the piano, but trust me the spoons are no easy feat. (unlike the eggshake or the tambourine.) Peter ohlert@accuwx.com ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 18:47:42 -0700 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG:Dave Matthews Band Message-ID: <19981221.184918.4542.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> >ps. there are NO other phish fans on this list? spreadheads? gaak. > >why is that? I know of one other TMBG\Phish fan in the world. I >don't >understand. whoa buddy... i'm a fan of the live shows. I used to dig going to dead shows (all 5 times i saw 'em) and i just recently saw Widespread this summer... not to mention Phish a month ago. And better yet, the further fest was pretty dern groovy with the other ones. I, however, have never been inclined to buy any CD's of any of the said bands (aside from GD in which case i not only have my vinyl collection but also have my brother to mooch off of... dead head all the way... he followed them around for years). take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::groove is in the heart::: ________________________________________________________________ Get secure free e-mail that you don't need Web access to use from Juno, the world's second largest online service. Download your free software at http://www.juno.com/getit.b.html. ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 18:49:14 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: rap, o lovely rap... Message-ID: <19981221.184918.4542.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> >THE LI'L "GUESS WHO'S BACK?!?" DEPRESSED BOY welcome back LDB :) and way to incorporate mike leffel's sig into your return-post... 10 bonus points :) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::who's handing out points? i want some!!!::: ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: linnel@snet.net Message-Id: <199812220206.VAA23624@pop.snet.net> Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 21:03:08 -0500 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Other Stuff like Spoons > > Do you know how hard it is to play the spoons well? My grandmother can play > them like a pro. I can play the guitar and am passable at the piano, but trust > me the spoons are no easy feat. (unlike the eggshake or the tambourine.) hey- i play the tambourine occasionally. that's not so easy EITHER. ok. so maybe it's not so hard. but STILL. jen ------------------------------ From: wagner@mindspring.com Message-ID: <000201be2d51$cc3e7a00$c32856d1@computer> Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Dave Matthews Band and other stuff Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 19:52:47 -0500 >>besides, it seems that people today DO believe that many of the >>bands that in fact have very little if nay musical talent are in fact >>bursting at the seems with musical gifts. i found that actually >>playing instruments can enlighten you very much to how simple >>those repetitive three chords are and how mind-numbing it gets : ) i'm just curious -- are you referring to any specific bands? >>speaking of playing instruments... what kind of stuff does everyone >>play instrument wise? (and NO... the spoons do NOT count) i play the guitar and the mandolin, i guess i can fake my way on a harmonica too. and to todd wetherbee -- you're not the only tmbg/phish fan on the list. i love the music of phish/grateful dead/widespread panic, it's a lot of fun to put phish or the dead on and play along for 20 minutes on one song. i'm actually surprised that such a small amount of people on this list have said that they like phish -- i actually tend to think of phish as a "jam version" of tmbg. think about it -- both bands are very tongue-in-cheek, both have very original and inventive ideas for songs. but i guess i could see why some people like tmbg and not like phish, b/c of the difference in the actual music. david. wagner. ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: dorky-ness(Ok! So its not a word)::shrugs:: Message-ID: <19981221.215857.4687.10.sailormorningstar@juno.com> From: sailormorningstar@juno.com (Karen M Majetich) Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 22:02:41 EST Sorry, guys...this is a "me too" email but..... someone wrote (I'm not sure who?!) >Well, I'm a dork, and proud of it! :-) YAY! YOU SHOULD BE PROUD! SOME DAY, US DORKS WILL TAKE OVER THE WORLD! (hehe...just a HINT of sarcasm in there.) Anyway..I'm a dork to...and I am VERY proud! Although...I prefer the term geek, or dweeb-meister...tee hee hee.... -Karen :P I'm having fun in case you guys can't tell. :) Oh Yeah! In case I forget to say so later...and I don't have anything to write to the list. MERRY CHRISTMAS...HAPPY HANUKKAH..(even though it just ended...it's the thought that counts.) OR HAPPY WHAT-EVER-YOU-CELEBRATE ...just to make it universal. ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 22:32:11 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Dave Matthews Band and other stuff Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 21-Dec-98 Re: NON-TMBG: Dave Matthews.. by linnel@snet.net > in this day and age, the popular music does not boast about their > musical talent not only because they don't have any, but because > it's "cool" to pretend you hate yourself. or so it seems. i could > imagine seeing many of the un-talented so-called musicians going > on a total ego trip, but then they wouldn't be as popular. just > observe, and you'll notice the same... I think it's more that a lot of bands get one catchy song or one really great song and a record company says "We'll pay you lots of money to make more of the same," and they do just that... and all the songs sound the same and the band fades into obscurity in a year or so. This is why TMBG are still around. They do their own thing, not what the record company thinks will sell millions. They vary their style - granted, some songs can be associated with them on first listen, but if you'd never heard First Kiss or Pet Name before, would you associate them with They Might Be Giants? > besides, it seems that people today DO believe that many of the > bands that in fact have very little if nay musical talent are in fact > bursting at the seems with musical gifts. i found that actually > playing instruments can enlighten you very much to how simple > those repetitive three chords are and how mind-numbing it gets : ) I'll second that. it often takes talent to recognize that same talent or lack thereof. > speaking of playing instruments... what kind of stuff does everyone > play instrument wise? (and NO... the spoons do NOT count) let's see... mostly keyboards... piano, accordion, electronic keyboard -> any instrument at all :), guitar, singing, kazoo (does this require ability?), computer (MIDI sequencing), and anything that'll make a weird sound that I think might be interesting in a recording... for those of you who got or are getting tape 2 (the "runners-up" :) of We Might Be Giants, Too, you can hear my accordion playing and the computer doing the rest on Maine. and, because I'm a computer nut and also want to get feedback on what I do, I'll make this offer: the first three requests I get for TMBG songs I'll record, MP3, and put on my web page. (I can play *most*, but not all - odds are if it's a "concert regular" of theirs, I can play it :) Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "You keep handing out horseshoes * This space inadvertently Horseshoes have gotta be tossed." -Moxy Fruvous * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #13-22 ******************************