Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #13-23 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 13, Number 23 Wednesday, 23 December 1998 Today's Topics: NONTMBG: My Last Post Of the Year/Phish Re: NON-TMBG: Dorks, Instruments, and DMB TMBG: song lengths Re: TMBG: song lengths Re: NON-TMBG: Dorks, Instruments, and DMB TMBG: nontmbg: dmb: my final say Re: NON-TMBG: Dorks, Instruments, NON-TMBG: Rockapella Re: NON-TMBG: Dorks, Instruments, and DMB Re: NON-TMBG: Dorks, Instruments Re: TMBG: song lengths Re: NON-TMBG: Dorks, Instruments, and DMB Re: NON-TMBG: Dorks, Instruments, and DMB TMBG: Non Marylin Manson: Cartoon TMBG: Non REM: Lil' Depressed boy (webpage space) Re: TMBG: Non REM: Lil' Depressed boy (webpage space) Re: NON-TMBG: Rockapella Re: NON-TMBG: Dorks, Instruments, and DMB Re: NON-TMBG: Dorks, Instruments Re: NON-TMBG: Dorks, Instruments, and DMB Re: NON-TMBG: Dorks, Instruments, and DMB Re: NON-TMBG: Dorks, Instruments, and DMB Re: TMBG: song lengths Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 11:32:44 -0500 (EST) From: "Jason A. Glastetter" Subject: NONTMBG: My Last Post Of the Year/Phish Message-ID: Last post until 1999! Anyway, some Phish songs I like, but it's one of those bands that are really tough to get into, you know? The big difference between TMBG & Phish are the following: LENGTH. There are numerous other difference, but still, I think the longest TMBG song (non-remix) is @5minutes & averages about 3, I have a short attention span. Plus, Phish aren't too interesting (at least what could be considered introductory songs). I mean, as much as everyone seems to dislike it, Particle Man is a GREAT introductory song to TMBG. It's short, light, uses the accordian, fun, etc. for at least the first time you listen to it. I think Dr. Worm is similar in nature as an introductory. & for the record, I'm the only one I know who is a TMBG fan that ISN'T a Phish fan where I live (most of them are bigger Phish fans than TMBG fans! Annoying!) jason "You get the ankles & I'll get the wrists!" glastetter ========================================= http://www.poingly.com Home of the infamous Poingly online game! ========================================= ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981222172051.25427.rocketmail@send201.yahoomail.com> Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 09:20:51 -0800 (PST) From: Happy Cow Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Dorks, Instruments, and DMB I just want to say hello to all of the dorks out there! I am proud to admit that I am a "band geek" at my high school. I play the French horn in my concert band, and the frumpet (it's sort of a cross between a french horn and a trumpet) in the marching band and pep band. I also play the piano, mostly classical stuff. And about the whole Dave Matthews Band lacking any talent.... I personally love DMB! I've been a fan of those guys since long before I discovered the power of TMBG. I think they're very creative...in their own way. I mean, how many bands do you hear on the radio with violins? And Dave Matthew's voice is so...distinctive. I just think that their whole sound is very unique. That's why I like them. That's why I like TMBG. Really, that's why I like a lot of bands that don't sound like N' Sync, Hanson, or the Backstreet Boys. Just my $0.04..... == ~Connie~ "Life is three-dimensional...unless you live in the T.V." _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: Laura A Miller Subject: TMBG: song lengths Message-Id: <367fe47f5675183@mhub1.tc.umn.edu> Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 12:27:12 -0600 Jason said: The big difference between TMBG & Phish are the following: LENGTH. There are numerous other difference, but still, I think the longest TMBG song (non-remix) is @5minutes & averages about 3, I have a short attention span Yes, compared to most groups TMBG songs are pretty short. Many of them clock in under 2 minutes. On the other hand most songs you hear on the radio range from 2.5-5 minutes. In fact several songs from TMBG are under one minute long. Think of toddler HiWay which is about 20 seconds or Window on John Henry which is 57 seconds, I believe, or Spider on Apollo 18 which is about 50 seconds. The longest TMBG song I know of, I could be wrong here is the World's Address remix on Miscellaneous T- this is about 5 minutes in length. The original version on Lincoln is a bit shorter. I think one reason why Factory Showroom has only 13 songs is that the songs are longer in length- most are around 3-4 minutes unlike other albums. The pink album has 19 tracks yet is 37-38 minutes in length, Factory Showroom on the other hand is 40-45 minutes in length- don't know exactly. John Henry is has a longer listening time- 57 minutes. Short songs are good because you can stick more on an album and have more variety. Plus they are not long enough to get too sickening. Though sometimes I wish they were a little longer because for some of these under 2 minute tracks by the time you get into it, its over and you are left feeling unsatisfied. Songs over 5 minutes don't work well either, they start getting too repetitive and predictable and tiresome. I think that's why the bulk of songs on the radio seem to be 3-4 minutes long. The groups I know of that have a reputation for having either very short songs or very long songs may be good but they tend to not be the ones that are getting much radio airplay, like TMBG. ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 12:02:41 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: song lengths Message-ID: <19981222.121914.15038.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> The longest TMBG song I know of, I could >be >wrong here is the World's Address remix on Miscellaneous T- this is >about 5 >minutes in length. even tho the original poster was referring to non-remixes (heh)... what about the even further outer planet mix of the guitar? i think that's like 6.5 - 7 minutes long... and actually how bouts those mixes of SEXXY (on the 12")? take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 12:19:10 -0700 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Dorks, Instruments, and DMB Message-ID: <19981222.121914.15038.3.TMBgirl@juno.com> oh gank...flip on the arguing mode... > Really, that's why I like a lot of bands that don't >sound like N' Sync, Hanson, or the Backstreet Boys. to group hanson with n'sync and the backstreet boys (why not replace hanson with 98 degrees?) really gets on my nerves... hanson write their own songs... they play their own instruments and well, for the most part, they can sing on their own and not rely on crappy harmonies. Now don't get me wrong, it does take some talent to sit there and dance and sing and look pretty all at once... hanson does what they do because they love it. the other three groups do it for commercial reasons. enough said. that's why you can't compare groups like Rockapella to them. (and sure, to an extent all musicians that share their work with the public are doing it for commercial reasons but...) now sure i don't like DMB but i'm the first to admit that he's extremely talented... all (okay not all, but some of) you people that are arguing against him are also saying stuff like "well he's popular which is my first clue not to like him" (check the archives). That's my first clue as to why you're also a self-proclaimed "dork." Just because the masses like it means you cant? you're trying to be individuals and yet you're not... you're all grouping into the "outcasts" category because you only dislike it because the masses like it. If the masses like it there's got to be something appealing about it. Look for that characteristic of the song or whatever before you automatically shut yourself off to what they're all about. erg, i dunno... i'm really ill and can't think straight enough to argue my point clearly. forgive me. take it easy, JOrdaN... mmmbop http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::must defend my twin brother, taylor hanson::: ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 14:31:16 -0500 (EST) From: "(*)" Subject: TMBG: nontmbg: dmb: my final say Message-ID: none of you care, but i just want to say that yes, duh! dave matthews and his crue are very talented musicians...they are just medicore song writers. they jam well, cause they can really play, but their melodies, their beats,--everything seems utterly uninspired. they might be giants: not amazing musicans..especially at the beginning, but GENIUS pop masters. they knew, know how to create fantastic tunes. they are masters. dmb are not...though they are talented. Ya know what i mean? loveolivia ------------------------------ From: linnel@snet.net Message-Id: <199812221931.OAA06217@pop.snet.net> Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 14:28:40 -0500 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Dorks, Instruments, MWAHAHAHA. ahem. let me start by saying that that is EXACTLY why i'm a dork. i play the bone (also known as the TROMbone, and it's my ultimate favorite and the most fun to play), a tiny bit of trumpet, flute (since i was in fourth grade, and i hate it), piccolo (only because i'm in the front line in marching band, and it's a requirment, and i LOVE marching and being in the front... all right- i'm an attention hog- so sure me) and whatever else i get my hands on. i can twiddle a little on the guitar, but that's all self taught. speaking of the trombone... i have a concert tonight... can't wait. good old highschool christmas concerts. this is my first playing the bone, so everyone wish me luck... not that anyone cares... jen ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 14:44:13 -0500 Subject: NON-TMBG: Rockapella Message-ID: <19981222.144435.4094.0.Superman75@juno.com> From: superman75@juno.com (Adam Schaaf) hi. >that's why you can't compare groups like Rockapella to them. >(and sure, to an extent all musicians that share their work with >the public are doing it for commercial reasons but...) i was watching rosie this morning and caught this foldgers coffee commerical with Rockapella in it. i thought they had broke up when sean left. btw, did they ever put out a CD from their Carmen Sandiego days? your underking of pop trivia, adam schaaf * ------------------------------------------ Philly Tour Dates Dec. 27 - Dream Theater Jan. 1 - Ween * ------------------------------------------ ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 14:46:15 EST Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Dorks, Instruments, and DMB In a message dated 12/22/98 2:26:50 PM Eastern Standard Time, tmbgirl@juno.com writes: << category because you only dislike it because the masses like it. If the masses like it there's got to be something appealing about it. >> Well personally, I think that the masses are dumb, easily influenced, and follow things like a herd of cows. People will like things in fear of not being popular. Just because a big group of people like something, doesn't make it good. Speaking of that on a side note, which is kinda related to the topic, and I think is hilarious, this guy in my school who doesn't even really know me wrote an article in the schools paper more or less telling me I need to grow up and stop acting like a baby just cause I carry around Lago(my beanie baby bunny, even though he doesn't look like a beanie any more..he was..umm..well loved) just cause I was being different than everyone else, he critisized me for being me. I really hate the majority of the people in my school cause they can be very cruel to different people, but thats not going to stop me from changing myself! "Nothings going to change my clothes.." -Amber the Transcendent Mistress of the Known Cosmos, Empress for eternity ------------------------------ From: linnel@snet.net Message-Id: <199812222102.QAA02934@pop.snet.net> Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 15:59:34 -0500 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Dorks, Instruments > as to why you're also a self-proclaimed "dork." Just because the masses > like it means you cant? you're trying to be individuals and yet you're > not... you're all grouping into the "outcasts" category because you only > dislike it because the masses like it. If the masses like it there's got > to be something appealing about it. Look for that characteristic of the > song or whatever before you automatically shut yourself off to what > they're all about. ok- so now YOU'RE grouping everyone who said anything about being a dork as this anti-popularity group who sits around giving themselves praise for being different. WRONG. perhaps some people are like that, but i, for one, am not. when i call myself a dork, i'm saying it as a joke towards all the people who would honestly consider me a dork. if you look dork up in the dictionary, it would say something to the extent of "a stupid or ridiculous person; jerk; nerd." it's more about what other people see you as, not necessarily what you see yourself as. when i say, with a big goofy smile on my face, "yeah, i'm a dork", it's more like i'm taking a jab at all those people who'll classify me as a dork because i'm in student council, get decent grades, am an active member in band and run the paper. i think it's funny. and maybe i'm grouping into a category of outcasts- but i know that i'm doing it because i like it. hey- even now all of us are grouping into a mass that has something in common, and i don't know about anyone else, but i'm not a TMBG fan just because it's cool to be a TMBG fan. it's because that's the way i am. if you know a group of people that you have something in common with, it's no crime to hang around with them because you like them and share common interests. it only becomes something that is unfavorable when someone changes themselves and tries very hard to fit in when/where they don't. but even then it's their own choice. i think that many people get that/have gotten that confused, and that's why we often times have mass hatred without understanding. but that's just a theory, and a foggy one at that. now, as far as the music goes- excellent job in the scolding about Hanson. that's exactly how i feel. but perhaps you should not stand on a pedistal (sp?) and think you know what everyone else is thinking or has thought. i very easily could have said something bad about N' Sync or other groups that were mentioned in the e- mail, and would have had a strange look on my face when i read your reply. i know that you like playing the devil's advocate to open up people's minds, and that's all well and good. but do you ever consider that maybe people think about what they write before they wrote it? before stating something, i have a reason. if i sit there and say, "I don't like country music", you could sit there and try to open my eyes to the wonders of Nashville, and i wouldn't care. why? because i've already thought about it. i've heard it, tested it, but maybe it wasn't for me, and maybe i didn't like it all. therefore, my statement is completely justified, and you can't consider me close-minded, because i gave it a try. not everyone likes peanut butter. maybe you should give a little more credit to people. and so... i think i've ranted a raved enough, and probably a bit too much. as you say about yourself, read this with a smile : ) i'm not trying to bash anyone at all, i'm only trying to open an already wide open mind : ) jen ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 16:10:46 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: song lengths Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 22-Dec-98 TMBG: song lengths by Laura A Miller@tc.umn.ed > Yes, compared to most groups TMBG songs are pretty short. Many of them > clock in under 2 minutes. On the other hand most songs you hear on the "Two minutes long! Back when all our songs were two minutes long! Didn't know how to write a bridge." - John Flansburgh, 12/29/96, Rochest, NY, talking about "Santa's Beard" > which is about 50 seconds. The longest TMBG song I know of, I could be > wrong here is the World's Address remix on Miscellaneous T- this is about 5 > minutes in length. The original version on Lincoln is a bit shorter. I but that's not a real song. it's not even their work... it's mostly Joshua Fried's odd taste in "music" being added to a good song. The longest actual song they have is How Can I Sing Like a Girl, which is 4 minutes and 33 seconds long. After that is Sleeping in the Flowers, at 4:30. (notice how both of these songs have different arrangements and are much shorter in the live show) The only one that isn't rearranged live is Spiraling Shape, which is third at 4:25. I believe those three, Pet Name, and Why Must I Be Sad? are their only songs over 4 minutes long at all (note that prior to John Henry, *everything* was under 4 minutes, and most under 3). Metal Detector and S-E-X-X-Y are both 3:50, and it drops off from there. Their longest live song is probably either Spy or The Guitar, depending on the show. There's a very good reason they do 28-30 songs at a concert, *and* have time to talk... But these are still short. 4:33 is nothing... most bands have at least a few songs over 5 minutes long... Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "You keep handing out horseshoes * This space inadvertently Horseshoes have gotta be tossed." -Moxy Fruvous * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Dorks, Instruments, and DMB Message-ID: <19981222.191430.4687.3.sailormorningstar@juno.com> From: sailormorningstar@juno.com (Karen M Majetich) Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 19:18:14 EST << this guy in my school who doesn't even really know me wrote an article in the schools paper more or less telling me I need to growup and stop acting like a baby... just cause I was being different than everyone else, he critisized me for being me.>> Stuff like that really pisses me off! You see, I happen to love Sailor Moon, and have maybe two or three shirts on that subject. And, they're several people who like to make fun of me for this. WHAT JERKS! So...while they ran around..making fun of minorities, gays, and moonies alike, in their HILFIGGER clothes. (DId I spell this right...oh well...who cares) Me and my friends, (Who have our own underground newspaper, which is widely liked..and people don't know that we write it.), went and collaborated on an article bashing people who like Hilfigger clothes. I mean, come on, the majority of the people who wear stuff like that(a stereotype on my part)...go around, and make fun of gays and stuff. (At least where I live..it's like this) WELL, those people need to get a clue...HILFIGGER is gay himself. They are such hypocrites! The great part is that, because of our article, those people were made fun of! HAHA sweet sweet revenge. Although, I have to admit...even though those people made fun of me...I hated to see them get made fun of. No one deserves that. NOT A SINGLE SOUL! Oh well..I must go...and I have to commend you Amber...you have a great way of thinking...which I agree with. No one should change to meet other peoples standards. Everyone is their own person, and should be respected for who they are. BYE BYE! -Karen :P "Living Is Easy With Eyes Closed, Mis-Understanding All You See." -John Lennon....another fab John L! "I want to raise my freak flag higher and higher..." -TMBG "I don't want the world, I just want your half." -From 'Ana Ng' (TMBG) ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <38fc78b5.36803908@aol.com> Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 19:27:52 EST Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Dorks, Instruments, and DMB In a message dated 12/22/98 7:25:53 PM, sailormorningstar@juno.com writes: >went and collaborated on an article bashing people who like >Hilfigger clothes. I mean, come on, the majority of the people who wear >stuff like that(a stereotype on my part)...go around, and make fun of >gays and stuff. (At least where I live..it's like this) WELL, those >people need to get a clue...HILFIGGER is gay himself. They are such >hypocrites! ROTFL, that's the funniest thing i've read all day, because, ... you uhh... nailed the nail thar right on the head. :)it's so true... hehheh.. sarah ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 19:48:35 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Non Marylin Manson: Cartoon Message-ID: <19981222.194841.-177131.1.gray42@juno.com> From: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) If John and John were on an animated show, what show would they best fit to, and what would be their story? Mysterio "more TMBG" Gal (completely out to lunch in squaresville) "often washed- seldom clean," --Jack M. Brewer MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 19:41:10 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Non REM: Lil' Depressed boy (webpage space) Message-ID: <19981222.194841.-177131.0.gray42@juno.com> From: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) Hey LDB, great to see you back. Since your looking for webspace to put your page, let me suggest geocities (I know, annoying pop up banners) but the 11 megs they give you makes it all worth while. Most of all (and the obvious) it's free!) Mysterio Gal (completely out to lunch in squaresville) "often washed- seldom clean," --Jack M. Brewer MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <726c6fe5.368041a6@aol.com> Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 20:04:38 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Non REM: Lil' Depressed boy (webpage space) In a message dated 12/22/98 8:02:47 PM, gray42@juno.com writes: >Hey LDB, great to see you back. Since your looking for webspace to put >your page, let me suggest geocities (I know, annoying pop up banners) but >the 11 megs they give you makes it all worth while. Most of all (and the >obvious) it's free!) yeh heyhey! everyone download ldb's mp3's! beauty-ful stuff. dig the trial of the bells. :) sarah ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 14:02:56 -0700 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Rockapella Message-ID: <19981222.182247.19134.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> hey hey! >i was watching rosie this morning and caught this foldgers >coffee commerical with Rockapella in it. i thought they had >broke up when sean left. nononoo!!! in fact you can see both the 30 second commercial and the 45 second commercial on their website... www.rockapella.com/ well worth the download :) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::what are you waiting for?? GOGOGO!!!::: ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 18:29:30 -0700 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Dorks, Instruments, and DMB Message-ID: <19981222.184838.19134.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> first karen said: >Stuff like that really pisses me off! then she went on to say: > Me and my friends, (Who have our own >underground newspaper, which is widely liked..and people don't know >that we write it.), went and collaborated on an article bashing people >who like Hilfigger clothes and i say: isn't it ironic? anyways... sailor moon rocks :) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 18:48:29 -0700 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Dorks, Instruments Message-ID: <19981222.184838.19134.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> >ok- so now YOU'RE grouping everyone who said anything about >being a dork as this anti-popularity group who sits around giving >themselves praise for being different. whoa sister puff... did you not read the entire thing? the begining of it said (and i'll quote myself here) "all (okay not all, but some of) you people that are arguing against him are also saying stuff like "well he's popular which is my first clue not to like him" (check the archives)." so...there you go. i was simply using two examples i had seen earlier on this very list, which is why i said "Check the archives." Now, sure, perhaps i was just assuming that they felt they were individuals because they didn't go with the flow... but i was simply trying to make a point not get into these people's life stories. >WRONG. perhaps some people are like that, but i, for one, am not. >when i call myself a dork, i'm saying it as a joke towards all the >people who would honestly consider me a dork. uhm, i was pretty sure that's the way i took it. like i said, i'm seriously ill and can't think straight so i'm sure i wasn't puting my point across clearly... forgive me... it's no reason to start yelling (kinda hard to read it with a smile when ya raise your letters/voice) >if you look dork up >in the dictionary, ooh ooh, can i please? :) >it would say something to the extent of "a stupid >or ridiculous person; jerk; nerd." it's more about what other people >see you as, not necessarily what you see yourself as but when you call your own self a dork, you're implying that there are people out there that think you are a dork... right? >because i'm in student council, get decent grades, am an active >member in band and run the paper. i think it's funny. huh, i must be missing the humor in that. >and maybe i'm grouping into a category of outcasts- but i know that >i'm doing it because i like it. ya know, i wasn't even talking about you in the second half of that post... you see, if you have other reasons than "oh it's popular, i can't like it" then you're doing it for your own sake.... that's individuality (in my books). But when you simply claim that anything that's popular you can't like... that's wiggity-whacked. see where i'm coming from? it's no crime to >hang around with them because you like them and share common >interests. you mah dear... comprende exactly what i was trying to say. but if you hang around with a group the "dorks" solely becuase you're "anti-popular" because they do things that are popular etc. that's wiggitywhacked i think >that many people get that/have gotten that confused, and that's >why we often times have mass hatred without understanding. but >that's just a theory, and a foggy one at that. foggy just like my mind right now...i like it tho. :) >why? because i've already thought about it. i've heard it, tested it, >but maybe it wasn't for me, and maybe i didn't like it all. therefore, > >my statement is completely justified, and you can't consider me >close-minded, because i gave it a try okay. just take a deep breath and think... i sent that e-mail to the entire list, not just you. So even if you had thought it all out... there are prolly other people out there that hadn't... see what i'm doing? and i don't just assume that you hadn't thought it all out. i just use your post to speak to everyone. as you say about yourself, read this with a smile : ) i'm not >trying to bash anyone at all, i'm only trying to open an already wide >open mind : ) i'm sensing a bit of sarcasm... ouch. but yes, i do think my posts through prior to sending them most of the time. just remember kids, if i'm talking to you, i'll send you the e-mail privately... otherwise it's to the list, don't take it personally cuz a lot of the time it isn't even meant to be. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::doing more "disclaimers" than actual posting lately::: ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: <1482f78e.36804f0b@aol.com> Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 21:01:47 EST Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Dorks, Instruments, and DMB Please note: Tommy Hillfiggar (or whatever) ain't gay. Dude is married with children. (Not that that MEANS anything, mind you, but there's evidence that he's straight, y'know?) HOWEVER: As I understand it, Mr. Hilfigger made comments, on national TV (Oprah, I *think*) that, had he known that urban minority-types would take such a fondness to his clothing, he never would have made it. (NOTE: I have no idea concerning the truth behind that statement, it may just be an urban legend, and if so, I bet Ralph Lauren or some other competitor- type made it up, tee hee) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19981222211905.007b3c40@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 21:19:05 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Dorks, Instruments, and DMB At 09:01 PM 12/22/98 EST, EmarZero@aol.com wrote: > >(NOTE: I have no idea concerning the truth behind that statement, it may just >be an urban legend, and if so, I bet Ralph Lauren or some other competitor- >type made it up, tee hee) Yeah, that's an urban legend. I think that was covered in my hero Cecil Adams' "The Straight Dope" earlier this year. Or it was in his new book. One of the two... -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.crystal-night.com/~ctyner/tuscadero.html http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ He-Man, Tuscadero, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, & more! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19981222212428.007a69f0@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 21:24:28 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Dorks, Instruments, and DMB Re: the racist Tommy Hilfiger remark: http://snopes.simplenet.com/spoons/legends/hilfiger.htm -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.crystal-night.com/~ctyner/tuscadero.html http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ He-Man, Tuscadero, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, & more! ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 20:37:55 -0800 From: Bob Gonsalves Subject: Re: TMBG: song lengths >But these are still short. 4:33 is nothing... That's what John Cage thought... Bob Gonsalves, Research Director, Pink Noise Studios Art*Technology*Politics http://www.pinknoiz.com/ ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #13-23 ******************************