Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #13-24 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 13, Number 24 Thursday, 24 December 1998 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: song lengths TMBG: TMBG MP3's Re: TMBG: TMBG MP3's Re: TMBG: Non Marylin Manson: Cartoon Non-TMBG: Phish/Widespread Panic TMBG: an old song, new chords! TMBG: NPR broadcast Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <3680D85C.9D293C7B@pacificnet.net> Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 04:47:44 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: Re: TMBG: song lengths References: <199812230704.CAA25990@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; x-mac-type="54455854"; x-mac-creator="4D4F5353" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Lawrence P Solomon wrote: >The longest actual song they have is How Can I Sing Like a Girl, which >is 4 minutes and 33 seconds long. I would have liked that one much more as a two minute song. I'm not saying that I don't like the song but after the first two minutes nothing significant is added. I think it would have had more punch at half the length. Last night I dreamed I found an import TMBG CD with a 9 minute mix version of "Minimum Wage" -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: "Stephen Shores" Subject: TMBG: TMBG MP3's Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 08:49:56 -0500 Message-Id: <19981223090501.d3d19aa196a311d2af680000b4839961.in@mail.orthotrac.com> Hey all, I'm looking for more tmbg MP3 sites. I know about Jackyl's and TDK's sites... Anyone have another one with some more live shows? Also, does anyone know how to convert RealAudio files (.rm) to .wav files? I have a program called RA2WAV that said it would, but it asked for a codec I didn't have when I installed it... weird... > but maybe it wasn't for me, and maybe i didn't like it all. therefore, > my statement is completely justified, and you can't consider me > close-minded, because i gave it a try. not everyone likes peanut > butter. maybe you should give a little more credit to people. ...and some people are allergic to it, too. I'm allergic to country music. :) > If John and John were on an animated show, what show would they best fit > to, and what would be their story? Two Stupid Dogs. Why? I don't know... because it's a cool show, and there's two of them... uh.... and it's very wacky sometimes like the Johns. :) > yeh heyhey! everyone download ldb's mp3's! beauty-ful stuff. dig the trial of > the bells. :) > > sarah MP3's? Where's the site? Stephen * ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------- Stephen Shores - "Sir Hand" - stephenshores@hotmail.com Visit weaselsnout.dwcs.com - The best stuff on the Web, IMO ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19981223105220.007d1250@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 10:52:20 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG MP3's At 08:49 AM 12/23/98 -0500, Stephen Shores wrote: >Hey all, > > I'm looking for more tmbg MP3 sites. I know about Jackyl's and TDK's >sites... Anyone have another one with some more live shows? Also, does >anyone know how to convert RealAudio files (.rm) to .wav files? I have a >program called RA2WAV that said it would, but it asked for a codec I didn't >have when I installed it... weird... IIRC, RA2WAV doesn't (or at least it didn't when I tried it) convert all RealAudio files; it doesn't "like" single ISDN/mono RealAudio files, for instance. -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.crystal-night.com/~ctyner/tuscadero.html http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ He-Man, Tuscadero, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, & more! ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 14:39:47 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Non Marylin Manson: Cartoon I'd like to see them on the Simpsons, that would be funny as hell. Story line could be anything like uhh..hmm.. ::ponders:: well..I'm not sure..I'm too much on a sugar high to think straight so anything that i typed would seem more whacked out than I usually am (which is usually pretty high) -Amber the Transcendent Mistress of the Known Cosmos ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19981223232518.007a23d0@pop.mindspring.com> Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 23:25:18 -0500 From: Ben Bradshaw Subject: Non-TMBG: Phish/Widespread Panic I just wanted to say that within the past year or so, I've really gotten into Phish, and also in like the past 4 or 5 months into Widespread Panic. I had a huge misconception of Phish. I always thought they just played hour upon hour of meaningless noises. However, one of my friends played me one of their albums, and I must say that they have some extremely catchy tunes and great lyrics that can be appreciated while not on any sort of mind altering substance. They do also have that aspect of long long jams, but those usually aren't found on their studio albums. Widespread Panic doesn't exactly have catchy tunes or great lyrics, or any that I can decipher as of yet, but their music is still great. Just listening to those long jams of either Phish or Widespread Panic is very relaxing. I must also say that I can not stand DMB or Grateful Dead. I just never got into DMB even though I've heard their singles and albums. The Grateful Dead on the other hand just seem to be lacking substance in their music. I can't really pinpoint it, I'm very horrible with discussing music intellectually. Anyway, the point I thought I was trying to make was that everyone should give Phish a chance. They have great normal-length, soberly appreciable songs. Good lord, I'm sorry this has been totally off topic and hugely long. Ben ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 23:47:29 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: TMBG: an old song, new chords! So, after many hours of work, and listening to the same 3 second segments of song over and over again, I finally have this to present to the list. Since it's one of Their most popular unreleased songs, I figured some of you out there (pianists, especially) would be interested... And if any of the tmbg.org people are reading this, it could be added to the chord archive. I think all the chords are correct. Certain People I Could Name by They Might Be Giants (John Linnell) Each chord is two beats, unless there's a dash(-) after it, in which case it's four, or if there's a slash(/), it and the next chord are held for one beat each. I've tried my best to also figure out the bass line to this song, and bass notes, where they aren't the root of a chord, are indicated in parentheses following the chord. (this part isn't yet complete) There's a pretty clear 4/4 (or 2/4) beat here, and the divisions are fairly easy to pick up. Intro: D (no chord)(G) D A7(G) |: D A7 D A7 D A7 D A7 :| The few surviving samurai survey the battlefield Count the arms, the legs, and heads, and then divide by five G - G - D A7 D A7 Drenched in blood, they move across the screen. G - G - G Em A7 - Do I need to point, or do you see the one I mean? D - G - The one in back, the way he acts, is he Em - Em A7 Bm Reminding you of anyone we know? G - Em A7 D - Isn't he so like certain people I could name? D E A D G C# F# (A) Halfway through the thirty minutes, halfway 'round the world. Here's the story on the genocidal overlord. In the palace with here epilettes. Watch her little gestures as she lights her cigarette. Look at her, you must see it too, Is she reminding you of anyone we know? Isn't she so like certain people I could name? Extended bridge: D E A D G C# F# (A) G C F# B E - A (bass solo: A A A / B C#) Disembodied and detatched a voice describes the scene As a lizard stalks a helpless creature on TV Music underscores the tragedy Eyes with no expression watch the unsuspecting prey(*) Who is it like, doesn't it strike you As the very image of someone we know? G - Em - Isn't it so like certain people G A7 D - G - How could anybody miss the obvious, Em - G A7 D And the uncanny and the clear resemblance, D G - Em D G A7 D Isn't it just like certain people I could name? Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "You keep handing out horseshoes * This space inadvertently Horseshoes have gotta be tossed." -Moxy Fruvous * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 22:33:34 -0800 From: Bob Gonsalves Subject: TMBG: NPR broadcast So They were, in fact, on NPR. I just around to listening to the tape. They played Shoehorn, Actual Size and parts of Dr. Worm. But wait, there's more! The "This American Life" web page http://www.thislife.org/ notes the following: Note that we'll be offering a RealAudio file of the uncut, 1.5 hour NYC show on this site sometime later this week. Check back and hear really great They Might Be Giants songs, funny lines and interaction with the audience, and Ira Glass talking with TMBG about the sound design of the show (which was TMBG's John Flansburgh's idea completely), all of which got cut from our broadcast due to time constraints. Cool! Bob Gonsalves, Research Director, Pink Noise Studios Art*Technology*Politics http://www.pinknoiz.com/ ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #13-24 ******************************