Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #13-28 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 13, Number 28 Monday, 28 December 1998 Today's Topics: Re: NON-TMBG: First concert (Was:I remember now!) Re: TMBG: First concert (Was:I remember now!) Re: NON-TMBG: First concert Re: NON-TMBG: First concert Re: NON-TMBG: First concert Re: TMBG: First concert (Was:I remember now!) Re: NON-TMBG: First concert (Was:I remember now!) Re: TMBG: I remember now! Re: TMBG: First concert (Was:I remember now!) Re: NON-TMBG: First concert (Was:I remember now!) Re: NON-TMBG: First concert (Was:I remember now!) Re: NON-TMBG: First concert (Was:I remember now!) Re: TMBG: top 10 of the year Re: NON-TMBG: First concert (Was:I remember now!) NON-TMBG: Concert experiences NON- Re: TMBG: top 10 of the year Re: TMBG: First concert (Was:I remember now!) whatcha listnin to? (Re: TMBG: top 10 of the year) Re: TMBG: top 10 of the year Re: TMBG: top 10 of the year TMBG: vw bug commercial Re: TMBG: top 10 of the year Re: TMBG: First concert (Was:I remember now!) Sorta-TMBG: Live Noise Re: TMBG: top 10 (or so) of the year/ First concert with a nekked lady Re: Sorta-TMBG: Live Noise Re: Sorta-TMBG: Live Noise Re: Sorta-TMBG: Live Noise Re: TMBG: top 10 of the year Re: TMBG: top 10 of the year Re: Sorta-TMBG: Live Noise Re: TMBG: First concert (Was:I remember now!) TMBG: A merry TMBG X-mas TMBG: Movie trivia TMBG: non-tmbg: bnl chords Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Kreadoubt@aol.com Message-ID: <5ded63e6.3685de2f@aol.com> Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 02:13:51 EST Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: First concert (Was:I remember now!) heh, my first concert was Kenny Rogers...Gallagher opened....followed by some women (whose name escapes me at the moment) her hair went to the floor...sheez, I was like...seven years old... -Stop looking at me like that "Put that kid down! HE'S DONE NOTHING WRONG!!!!" JF ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <958b2e8f.3685e18e@aol.com> Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 02:28:14 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: First concert (Was:I remember now!) In a message dated 12/27/98 12:52:10 AM, linnel@snet.net writes: >my first concert was Offspring, a little over a year ago. but i;m still > >young. since then i've seen quite a few bands, but not TMBG yet. >then again, they haven't come here in the longest freakin time, >so..... > >but you bet i'll be there next time they show their face here... grr... oooh what the hey. my first was chicago. i was about 7 years old. we were sitting on a hill, and it was raining, and people were wearing tarps and plastic bags. my first MY concert was the barenaked ladies -- in a small venue, before they got all big time friggin arena. my next concert is this tuesday. the barenaked ladies. in a big time friggin arena. sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <007301be316a$eed23300$6dd12581@oemcomputer> From: "kelspots" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: First concert Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 02:20:13 -0500 ...followed by some women (whose name escapes me at the moment) her hair went to the floor... Maybe that would have been Crystal Gayle? She was always famous for her long hair. My first concert was in 6th grade, when The Monkees had their 20th reunion tour. It was great! I still love them :) Amy :) [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: Kreadoubt@aol.com Message-ID: <531c99ea.3685e39a@aol.com> Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 02:36:58 EST Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: First concert In a message dated 12/26/98 11:32:55 PM Pacific Standard Time, kelspots@gateway.net writes: << Maybe that would have been Crystal Gayle? She was always famous for her long hair. >> YES!!! That's who it was!!!!!! *phew* that was gonna bother me all night! THANK YOU!!! -must sleep now.... "DAAAAAMN!" JL ------------------------------ Message-ID: <002e01be319d$c5327f40$c1b3a4c1@squid> From: "Uncle Squid" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: First concert Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 13:34:55 -0000 My very first gig was Carter USM at Essex Uni in my home town of Colchester. I'd only liked them for like two or three months but by the time I had seen them, I was well versed in all of their major hits. I was happy as a pig in muck (if I wasn't a Squid of course). Carter were supported by Girl of the year and The Nilon Bombers who also got granted a special place in my heart but have since whisped off into Indie band obscurity :0( I have yet to see TMBG live but they're hitting the green and often wet shores of England in the new year and if tickets are still available, I'm there (along with my ex girlfriend, her boyfriend and a few others I can muster up along the way). My first concert was in 6th grade, when The Monkees had their 20th reunion tour. It was great! I still love them :) So do I... THEY'RE GREAT. Isn't Randy Scouse Git (Alternate Title) the best song ever written? -- Uncle Squid - The Original Junk Male -- Http://members.xoom.com/_out_there_/mother_ship/ ICQ: 12605535 ----------------------- [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 08:30:53 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: First concert (Was:I remember now!) Message-ID: <19981227.084859.4790.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> >my first MY concert was the barenaked ladies HAhaa... so i already told you that my first show was crosby stills and nash... but my next show was White Zombie....oh yes... White Zombie. My best bud, Chrissy, and I couldn't have been any more than 10 years old (prolly younger) sitting next to a group of 30 year old white trash(ers)... offering us pot and we were just like... "uhm... no thanks" *grin* those were the days... innocent, naive, and pretty much oblivious. :) I dunno what inspired me to go to that show... i hate WZ.... in fact i always have... perhaps it was whoever was opening for them. I dunno. But I guess that's the start of my eclectic taste in music? I've never been to a show that was that cool tho... They go all out when it comes to keeping you entertained... The music was by no means the focal point of their show. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::still thinkin about takin the bus down to LA for Fruvous::: ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 10:59:21 -0500 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: First concert (Was:I remember now!) Message-ID: <19981227.110952.4318.0.Superman75@juno.com> From: superman75@juno.com (Adam Schaaf) hi. there's a big difference in the first concert and the first concert i can remember. i remember seeing a bunch of stuff with my parents as a kid. i'm pretty sure i saw elton john. offically for myself, i say that aerosmith was my first show. it was the first show I bought the tickets for. my favorite show is a tie between TMBG 9/13/98 in Philly (it was that double show) and the Misfits on Halloween 1996 in Philly as well. your underking of pop trivia, adam schaaf * ------------------------------------------ Philly Tour Dates Dream Theater - Dec. 27 Ween - Jan. 1 * ----------------------------------------- ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.6.32.19971227100509.00794500@pop.mindspring.com > Date: Sat, 27 Dec 1997 10:05:09 -0600 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: I remember now! >I guess that I'll tell everyone what my first concert was too...I guess youo >could say that it was the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!! yeah! he he he..but >my first REAL concert was Santana! my John but that was great!! > That there Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were my first concert too. That means we both got to see members of the state dressed up as turtles. Woohoo, we is lucky. Well, the next concert after that was a Penny District/Whiplash/? (local bands have concerts too) slip and slide party. If you insist on big names for a "first concert" then the answer would be a Foo Fighters/Ween/?/? show. Li'l "Monkeys Monkeys, in the trees" Depressed Boy -- http://www.mp3.com/idolv Download some of my music. -- http://members.xoom.com/MaxxIda/ The Official Sam Kieth Webpage - The Maxx IDA -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. | The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.6.32.19971227101040.0086d700@pop.mindspring.com > Date: Sat, 27 Dec 1997 10:10:40 -0600 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: First concert (Was:I remember now!) >I think Barenaked Ladies (5/4/97, Charleston, SC) was the best I've seen. >Other personal favorites include TMBG (10/10/98 (I think?), Atlanta, GA; I >lost my voice for the first time ever and told Flans about my cover of >Toddler Hiway for the tribute album, and since I guess he thought that's >how my voice normally sounds.... :-) and Tuscadero (10/2/98). > I'd say that the best concert I've attended was either of the O'Phil shows I went to. I'm leaning more towards the latest one, because the lead singer and the saxophonist recognized me. O'Phil is a great band with a lot of energy, if you ever stuck in the mid-west and get a chance to see them, do so. I'm hoping to surpass the great feeling of the Gods of Wheatland Ska's (O'Phil) shows, when my band Commie Manifesto gets enough material for us to go out and do a show. :) Li'l "Monkeys Monkeys, pickin' flees" Depressed Boy -- http://www.mp3.com/idolv Download some of my music. -- http://members.xoom.com/MaxxIda/ The Official Sam Kieth Webpage - The Maxx IDA -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. | The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.6.32.19971227101453.0086f4e0@pop.mindspring.com > Date: Sat, 27 Dec 1997 10:14:53 -0600 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: First concert (Was:I remember now!) Time for a quick short post that is shorter than my sig: >#4 5/3/97 TMBG in Kansas :) I HATE YOU! I HATE YOU! I HATE YOU! I'm sitting in Lawrence right now, and THEY haven't came back yet. I was living about 4 hours away when that show went on, and my brother's friend went, knowing I was a big fan, and didn't tell me about it until she got back. Li'l "Monkeys Monkeys, with Disease" Depressed Boy -- http://www.mp3.com/idolv Download some of my music. -- http://members.xoom.com/MaxxIda/ The Official Sam Kieth Webpage - The Maxx IDA -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. | The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: <85ee2f33.36865ffd@aol.com> Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 11:27:41 EST Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: First concert (Was:I remember now!) When I was 3 years old or so, my hippie parents took me to see Jimi Hendrix. Silly kid that I was, I was more excited about seeing the Banana Splits a year or so later, hehe. My parents also took me to see The Who and Frank Zappa, and how did I repay them? By making them take me to see the Brady Bunch, hehe (I'm NOT kidding). My first TMBG show was in 1996, at the one and only Mercury Lounge, which is definitely the coolest venue (where else can I find a stage shorter than me?), but after seeing them 6 times since then in various states, I've come to realize they tend to give more energetic, if not as loose, shows away from home. I've loved every single one, though! Kay ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 13:58:30 -0600 (CST) From: bill tatalovich Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: First concert (Was:I remember now!) Message-ID: > I guess that I'll tell everyone what my first concert was too...I > guess you could say that it was the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!! yeah! > he he he..but my first REAL concert was Santana! my John but that was > great!! Gee...first concert for me would be the Mighty Mighty Bosstones. I remember it mostly because a skinhead almost broke my kneecap that night. Ah...fond memories. And in a similar vein...most concerts by one band that I've attended? Well, that would be: 1. Ben Folds Five (8 times) 2. Mighty Mighty Bosstones (6 times) 3. They Might Be Giants (5 times) And considering how the top two on my list went from playing in front of fifty people at a bar to playing arenas, can we hope that They are next? Who knows... The Rev |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| | Reverend Bill Tatalovich | Home page: | | | http://students.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/ | | wt3@cec.wustl.edu |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ | personnel@kwur.wustl.edu | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981227204548.15644.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Sarah's Madness" Subject: Re: TMBG: top 10 of the year Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 12:45:48 PST >albums/groups that i really dug this year (doesn't mean i necessarily got >them this year...just those constantly in my CD player): >--- Club Flys presents Black Flys >--- Zog Bogbean: From The Marcy Playground >--- Soul Coughing: RV, IB, & EO >--- Moxy Fruvous >--- Self: Subliminal Plastic Motives >--- BMX Bandits: Theme Park >--- Cheeky Monkey: Four Arms To Hold You >--- Mr. T Experience: Love Is Dead >--- Nerf Herder >--- There's Something About Mary soundtrack >--- BNL >--- Beastie Boys >--- Cake: Prolonging The Magic >--- Fatboy Slim >--- Eve 6 >--- Homegrown >--- Lincoln >--- Plastilina Mosh >(pleaseplease feel free to turn this into the... "what else are you >listening to?" thread) ok, I'll take you up on that :) stuff that haunts the 3 cd changer: Frank Black--Frank Black Sisters of Mercy--*Floodland* and *Vision Thing* Orbital--In Sides Bad Religion--No Substance Underworld--Cowgirl/Dirty Epic ep Air--Moon Safari and, of course, tmbg, who I just really got heavily into this year sarah "dancing around my dorm room" faye ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 14:09:00 -0700 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: First concert (Was:I remember now!) Message-ID: <19981227.140920.4862.5.TMBgirl@juno.com> hEY HEY! >>#4 5/3/97 TMBG in Kansas :) > >I HATE YOU! I HATE YOU! I HATE YOU! i have fond memories of that gig... i made some amazing posters out of the pictures i got from that show :) Someone out there has a video of the show... i want it. i do. really... kris if you're still on the list and happen to have gotten your hands on a copy of it... let me know :) >I was >living about 4 hours away when that show went on but come on... i had to drive 10 hours (one way) and i missed one of my finals just to make it there :) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: PULPSTRESS@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 16:33:57 EST Subject: NON-TMBG: Concert experiences In a message dated 98-12-27 15:00:02 EST, wt3@cec.wustl.edu writes: << And in a similar vein...most concerts by one band that I've attended? Well, that would be: 1. Ben Folds Five (8 times) 2. Mighty Mighty Bosstones (6 times) 3. They Might Be Giants (5 times) >> TMBG - 8 times Blur - 7 times (all in 1997.. I was making up for all those years that I loved them but was too stupid to go see them) Pulp - 6 times Farthest distance traveled by car to see a band - 850 miles to see Blur in Chicago (I've since been to Chicago 2 other times for concerts). Farthest distance ever traveled - 3000 miles to see Pulp in England. Shortest distance - 6 miles to Placebo here in Los Angeles Best 5 concerts: Radiohead, 9.30 Club, Washington DC - 8/97 Pulp, Hammerstein Ballroom, New York City - 6/98 TMBG - Trax, Charlottesville VA - 10/93 (first concert ever attended) Oasis, Fox Theater, Atlanta GA - 2/98 (4 days before my birthday) Blur, Riviera, Chicago IL - 6/97 (4th Blur concert, 2nd in Chicago) Worst concert experience - Sonic Youth, Roseland, NYC - 4/96 (I ended up falling down in a crowd surge and temporarily losing my backpack w/all my money, credit cards and sister's camera.. luckily whoever found it was honest enough to not steal it and I found him with it). Best concert experience overall - Tibetan Freedom Concert this year.... Radiohead and R.E.M. were scheduled to play on the first day, but got pushed back to the 2nd day cause of the rain storm, so I got to see my 3 most favourite bands all on the same day - R.E.M., Radiohead and Pulp. jennifer np *i am hated for loving* morrissey ------------------------------ From: PULPSTRESS@aol.com Message-ID: <64522d5d.3686aa2a@aol.com> Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 16:44:10 EST Subject: NON- Re: TMBG: top 10 of the year >(pleaseplease feel free to turn this into the... "what else are you >listening to?" thread) Ok, but first I'll do a best of this year list.... R.E.M. - Up Pulp - This is Hardcore Placebo - Without You I'm Nothing Bluetones - Return to the Last Chance Saloon Hole - Celebrity Skin Beastie Boys - Hello Nasty (I've never been a BB fan, but I got this album on a whim after hearing a few of the singles and I was mightily impressed with their range.. it ain't all rap, thank God!) Catatonia - International Velvet Connells - Still Life Belle & Sebastian - The Boy with the Arab Strap I don't have a 10th, but here's the rest of what I bought this year - all of it not worth the money... Bernard Butler - People Move On (you'd think that after 5 years with Suede he'd have come up with something decent as a solo album) Rialto - s/t (I don't get all the hype surrounding them.. nor do I get all the comparisons with Pulp.. they remind me more of Suede. And not even good Suede, which I wouldn't have ever thought possible) Graham Coxon - The Sky Is Too High (it's an ok album, but I'd have rather spent my money on maybe the new Barenaked Ladies instead and opted for a taped copy of this one) 1998 was a pretty good year for singles on the radio, I thought, but there was nothing really that grabbed me and said "you must buy this album" So..what I've been listening to lately - In my tape player: Morrissey - Vauxhall & I and Your Arsenal In my CD player: Suede - Dog Man Star and Stay Together EP Fantasia soundtrack Pulp - Freaks Connells - Ring jennifer ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 19:02:56 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: First concert (Was:I remember now!) Message-ID: <19981227.190657.4494.0.Mr.Train@juno.com> From: mr.train@juno.com (Tim J Murphy) Of course, I wanted my first concert to be TMBG... but, I saw the Monkees (minus Mike Nesmith) when they came to VA Beach... needless to say it was GREAT!!! I think they actually play their own instruments now... it was exactly like watching one of their TV episodes... they played my favorite Monkees song at the time, Listen to the Band (better with Nesmith, natch), Purple Haze, and all their other hits except Randy Scouse Git and DW Washburn, my two current faves... Tim, people say he monkees around Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update: - - Last CD (Christmas presents): Live Monsters - BHTM, 30th Ann. James Bond CD - VA, 30th Ann. White Album - The Beatles, Kings Of Ganster Bop - Royal Crown Revue, Blondie - Greatest Hits 2CD (7.99!!!!), Gordon - BNL Favorite mainstream song: haven't listened to radio a lot lately (see above) ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 19:27:03 EST Subject: whatcha listnin to? (Re: TMBG: top 10 of the year) In a message dated 12/27/98 3:46:50 PM, bitqueen@hotmail.com writes: >Frank Black--Frank Black >Sisters of Mercy--*Floodland* and *Vision Thing* >Orbital--In Sides >Bad Religion--No Substance >Underworld--Cowgirl/Dirty Epic ep >Air--Moon Safari >and, of course, tmbg, who I just really got heavily into this year > >sarah "dancing around my dorm room" faye well well, must be that time of year.. or something... -- pixies - tromple le monde air - kelly watch the stars import ep (thanks to whoever mentioned that the import had the mtv version, i snatched it up when i found it... still cant find moon safari, so damn popular here, i guess, arrgh! ) orbital - in sides stereolab - dots & loops 54-40 - smilin' buddah cabaret orb - toxygene (ep... even with a little fluffy clouds remix!) trio - da da da and more obviously, but that's the basic.. yeah. sarah ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 17:16:12 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: top 10 of the year Message-ID: <19981227.172325.3742.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> ><< And in a similar vein...most concerts by one band that I've >attended? i think, oddly enough, that would have to be bands that i don't own any albums by: --- Aquabats: 9 times. They put on an amazing live show. very cool. ---Five Iron Frenzy: at least 15 times... >Farthest distance traveled by car to see a band - 850 miles to see >Blur in >Chicago (I've since been to Chicago 2 other times for concerts). well lessee here... by car? i spose that the Denver to Lawrence, KS was my farthest. Although... the Fruvous weekend of shows did take up 12 hours of driving so i dunno. does bus count? i spose my (hopeful) plan to see Fruvous in LA in a couple of weeks will win that contest :) by plane... well, i guess that's the brian dewan, michael shelley, and laura cantrell shows. That went denver to crash landing in milwaukee to chicago to providence to NYC. :) >Shortest distance - 6 miles to Placebo here in Los Angeles try 3 blocks to see TMBG and Michael Shelley :) >Placebo - Without You I'm Nothing they were scheduled to play here in denver but their equipment got sent to chicago instead of here and they couldn't play. i was really upset, brian molko rocks. Ah well, they went to the radio station and had a reeeally long interview that i recorded :) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <8fb9cd12.3686d29f@aol.com> Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 19:36:47 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: top 10 of the year In a message dated 12/27/98 7:28:57 PM, tmbgirl@juno.com writes: >><< And in a similar vein...most concerts by one band that I've >>attended? > hmm, a tally. i'd like to say tmbg or sloan were my top attended band, but fruvous is always coming back.. moxy fruvous -- 1 instore, 8 concerts barenaked ladies -- 1 instore, 5 concerts (6th on tuesday) tmbg -- 1 instore, 4 concerts sloan -- 1 concert (2nd in january and 3rd in february!! good thing the frucon is not all ages, i get to see sloan again, heh) tragically hip -- 1/5th of a concert (had to leave this one, i swear i just may have almost been trampled to death by the drunken kevin smith lookin' sweaty arse, and his friends, behind me, or, rather, up against me) sarah "i had me a vision! there wasn't any television!" ------------------------------ From: wagner@mindspring.com Message-ID: <000201be31fa$aeb16940$839a45cf@computer> Subject: TMBG: vw bug commercial Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 14:16:04 -0500 hi all okay, i've got a question. i'm sure that many of you have seen that volkswagon (sp?) new bug commercial -- the one that has a slow love song playing, the lyrics go "...and i will love you till i die, and i will love you all the time" (and then the commercial ends). here's my question: does anybody know what band is singing? is it and old velvet underground song? it sounds like lou reed singing and it does have a VU quality to it. happy holidays. david. wagner. wagner@mindspring.com ------------------------------ From: Drayco@aol.com Message-ID: <510f5041.3686e16d@aol.com> Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 20:39:57 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: top 10 of the year In a message dated 12/27/98 2:01:39 AM Eastern Standard Time, tmbgirl@juno.com writes: << (pleaseplease feel free to turn this into the... "what else are you listening to?" thread) >> OK here goes. Albums/Bands I dug this year: Moxy Fruvous The Neilds Michael Shelly --I just happened to see Too Many Movies in a used cd store, and picked it up on Jordan's recommendation. It rocks! Not too many bands would do a song about oral hygeine. Thelonius Monk Sun Ra Nerf Herder --thanks again Jordan! Krs-One Kool Keith Canibus A Tribe Called Quest Soundtrack to Pleasantville --Jamal ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.6.32.19971227182543.00860100@pop.mindspring.com > Date: Sat, 27 Dec 1997 18:25:43 -0600 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: First concert (Was:I remember now!) At 07:02 PM 12/27/98 -0500, you wrote: >Of course, I wanted my first concert to be TMBG... but, I saw the Monkees >(minus Mike Nesmith) when they came to VA Beach... needless to say it was >GREAT!!! I think they actually play their own instruments now... it was >exactly like watching one of their TV episodes... >they played my favorite Monkees song at the time, Listen to the Band >(better with Nesmith, natch), Purple Haze, and all their other hits >except Randy Scouse Git and DW Washburn, my two current faves... > They (not all of them, mainly Mike Mikey and Peter) could actually play instruments, but in the first season of the show they used studio musicians, and this outraged the fans to the point of angering the talent (the Monkees) into getting to play their instruments. This can be seen in an episode where they play Listen to the Band, in which a girl holds up a sign that says "THEY'RE REALLY PLAYING THEIR INSTRUMENTS" or something of the same idea. ..or so says the Monkees Documentary I was watching a few months back. (AKA, when I still had cable) Li'l "I miss Mikey Leffel, don't you?" Depressed Boy -- http://www.mp3.com/idolv Download some of my music. -- http://members.xoom.com/MaxxIda/ The Official Sam Kieth Webpage - The Maxx IDA -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. | The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981228015349.25837.rocketmail@send206.yahoomail.com> Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 17:53:49 -0800 (PST) From: Happy Cow Subject: Sorta-TMBG: Live Noise Hello All, For Christmas, I got a bunch of new CD's, one of which was Moxy Fruvous's Live Noise. When I was listening to it for the first time, I noticed what sounded like the beginning of "The Statue Got Me High." (I think it's at the end of track #11.) Is this a TMBG refrence, or was he singing some other song? Thanks!!! == ~Connie~ "I dance like a man....If he were a woman!" _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3686E671.3293@rica.net> Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 21:01:22 -0500 From: Joey Groah Subject: Re: TMBG: top 10 (or so) of the year/ First concert with a nekked lady > In a message dated 12/27/98 2:01:39 AM Eastern Standard Time, tmbgirl@juno.com > writes: > > << (pleaseplease feel free to turn this into the... "what else are you > listening to?" thread) >> > The Replacements -All For Nothing Fighting Gravity- You and Everybody Else Atom and His Package- A Society of People Named Elihu Trout Fishing in America- Family Music Party Billy Bragg and Wilco- Mermaid Avenue Pavement- Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain Space Ghost- Musical BBQ Vol II Moody Blues- Best of the Moody Blues First concert with a nekked lady- 3rd Eye Blind (I was there as part of a birthday gift for a buddy, and a lost bet with the Devil). She got arrested too, despite being warned (the oh-so-cliched sleezy band management was also warned) ahead of time being nekked on stage would land her in the slammer. Joey, using "nekked" in the subject line to get people to read his dumb ol' list ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <7c7276aa.3686fca0@aol.com> Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 22:36:00 EST Subject: Re: Sorta-TMBG: Live Noise In a message dated 12/27/98 8:54:35 PM, tmbg2040@yahoo.com writes: > For Christmas, I got a bunch of new CD's, one of which was Moxy >Fruvous's Live Noise. When I was listening to it for the first time, I >noticed what sounded like the beginning of "The Statue Got Me High." >(I think it's at the end of track #11.) Is this a TMBG refrence, or >was he singing some other song? blatant tmbg homage. they're fans. >"I dance like a man....If he were a woman!" what's that from? it's very familiar and now it's gonna bug me.. sarah "that's eduCATIONal!" ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981228034826.19490.rocketmail@send206.yahoomail.com> Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 19:48:26 -0800 (PST) From: Happy Cow Subject: Re: Sorta-TMBG: Live Noise >>"I dance like a man....If he were a woman!" >what's that from? it's very familiar and now it's gonna bug me.. I got that from and episode of Space Ghost Coast to Coast. == ~Connie~ "Yesterday, you found a new use for mayonaise. Today, the family dog hired a lawyer." _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 22:48:57 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: Sorta-TMBG: Live Noise Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 27-Dec-98 Sorta-TMBG: Live Noise by Happy Cow@yahoo.com > Hello All, > For Christmas, I got a bunch of new CD's, one of which was Moxy > Fruvous's Live Noise. When I was listening to it for the first time, I > noticed what sounded like the beginning of "The Statue Got Me High." > (I think it's at the end of track #11.) Is this a TMBG refrence, or > was he singing some other song? It is definitely a TMBG reference. I talked to Jian about it after one of the shows I saw this summer (after he commented on my TMBG shirt and we started talking about TMBG) and he said he does that periodically and always tries to mess up the words a little bit so it doesn't seem like they're going to actually play the song. He also told me he thought Dr. Worm was an excellent song (this was before STD's release) and that he had done a bit of that at a show before... I've heard a bootleg where he did a line of We Want a Rock, and at the show I saw in Cleveland this past November, after they did Spiderman, Jian said "Spidey.... we love you Spidey!" presumably another TMBG reference. :) Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "You keep handing out horseshoes * This space inadvertently Horseshoes have gotta be tossed." -Moxy Fruvous * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ From: EmarZero@aol.com Message-ID: <362e6022.3687022a@aol.com> Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 22:59:38 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: top 10 of the year Okay, here are the ten CDs I keep in my car stereo: 1: Factory Showroom 2: Pietasters, "Willis" (GREAT album!) 3: Mighty Mighty BossToneS: "More Noise..." 4:MMB, "Devil's Night Out" 5: Tie: MMB: "Ska-Core, the Devil, and More" and Beck "Odelay" 6: The Decepticonz: "Robot Rock!" 7: Free Space, currently Dropkick Murphys, "Do or Die" 8: Pietasters, "...Are STRAPPED, LIVE!" 9: TMBG, "Then" disc 1 10: TMBG, "Then," disc 2 Most concerts attended by band: dirtbomb: about ten... The Skatastrophe: 3 or 4 (one was before they called themselves "Skatastrophe") Matthew Sweet: 2 Bosstones: 2 TMBG: 1 Worst concert: Friend's younger brother's band, made up entirely of 10th-11th graders, who all wanted to be either Alice In Chains or Metallica. They SUCKED. Best Part of Worst Concert: My best friend stole the vocalist's lyric sheet during "Enter Sandman" and I stole the microphone and made up my own words. Best Concert: TMBG: 10/10/98, Atlanta. Oh hell yeah. Second Best: Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, 99X Big Day Out 97. Would be the best concert ever, except that I got hit in the ear with a glob of mud the size of my bicep, and then was hit in the temple with a good sized rock. Ow. ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 22:26:12 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: top 10 of the year Message-ID: <19981227.222619.17310.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> >The Neilds eh, those 2 chicks really get on my nerves. They don't sing, they whine. They were ganks to Fruvous when they were opening up for them in boulder so i was even more inclined to dislike them... that bald geetar player was really nice tho. i dunno. >Michael Shelly --I just happened to see Too Many Movies in a used cd >store, and picked it up on Jordan's recommendation. >It rocks! Not too many bands would do >a song about oral hygeine. hehee... my buds and i have come up with soooo many different interpretations of "that's where the plaque is" :) groovy song. i put that and "surfer joan" on more mix tapes than one could imagine :D Go buy his first album "Half Empty" too, it's a little less jonathan richman and more uh... upbeat? Not to mention his side project band with Francis Macdonald (of BMX Bandits and teenage fanclub) called "Cheeky Monkey" their album is called "Four Arms To Hold You" and is pretty dern groovy. >Nerf Herder --thanks again Jordan! aw yeah! :) The boys rock my world. Anyways, they've been working on a new album and it should be out sometime in the near future. Until then... wait for Bloodhound Gang's next CD cuz they're guest appearing on it (with a lot of other ska/punk bands... the only one i can remember is reel big fish). I wouldn't typically recommend BHG but if you do get their stuff buy "one fierce beer coaster" it's got a groovy cover of Run DMC's 'It's Tricky.' Their first album has got it's moments but it's pretty raunchy... just as the title, "use your fingers," >Krs-One talk about eclectic taste in music :) *grin* i wouldn't have guessed there'd be much of a krs-one/tmbg fan overlap. Anyways, I always get Sublime's song (what's it on, the end of 40 oz.?) stuck in my head whenever anyone mentions krs-one... another groovy recomendation "Long Beach Dub Allstars" they really do sound okay without bradley. and last but not least... i'm reeeeally reeeeaallly grooving to another Big Deal band... Love Nut. I would highly recomend "Baltimucho" to anyone. They've got a website somewhere (sorry i dunno the actual URL) but they've got sound clips so gogogo! listen! :) take it easy, JOrdaN... cheeseball quote sig style http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html "it's a lie when you watch tv, it's a lie what you see and read, it's a lie when you say that its not exactly what you want to believe... " --Ho Hum :) ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 21:59:19 -0700 Subject: Re: Sorta-TMBG: Live Noise Message-ID: <19981227.222619.17310.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> >blatant tmbg homage. they're fans. yup... at my first frushow they played a bit of particle man... and then said, "oh yeah, we know what kind of fans are in our audience." After the show Jian walks up to me and says "tmbgirl?" heh... he then claimed he'd done it just cuz he'd read on the fruvous NG that i was gonna be at the show. Then at my third show (three days later) they mentioned TMBG and the simpsons. that was cool. damn i love that band... now i really wanna make my way to LA to see them... any of you LA area kids wanna pick me up at the bus station and drive me to the Roxy?! :) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html "you rock my world!" "and you soft rock our world" -- Murray :D ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 00:08:31 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: First concert (Was:I remember now!) Message-ID: <19981228.001610.-896945.2.gray42@juno.com> From: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) My first concert was the John Henry debut tour. It was also the day I found out what the Johns looked like, but still didn't know their names. I remember in the days before the concert, I thought TMBG consisted of 1 cartoon man with a hat, trechcoat, dark eyes, and a villians mustache, who had the awesome power of changing his voice a lot, and could even convincingly sound like a woman :P after that, I attended, what I now call "Fake concerts" put together by local groups that noone outside of my town had ever heard of. 4 Local groups actually came out with a CD. Sir Millard Mulch (Don't even ask me to repeat the name, just go to www.edfurniture.com to see what this guy is all about), The Solvents (my sister used to date the singer :P) and Pork Pie Tribe (a neat Ska group, didn't know em, heard many fascinating stories about them later, and liked em' enough to buy a CD of theirs) and No Fraud *kickass live show, didn't care much for the music, but kickass live show*(me good buddy Dan Destructo, hell, he came out with tons of CD's) And then I attended the STD tour of TMBG. And thus I have explained my entire concert life (pathetic isn't it) Mysterio Gal (completely out to lunch in squaresville) "often washed- seldom clean," --Jack M. Brewer MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 00:15:52 -0500 Subject: TMBG: A merry TMBG X-mas Message-ID: <19981228.001610.-896945.3.gray42@juno.com> From: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) I must say that my Christmas was overflowing with TMBG this year. A friend gave me an Apollo 18 world tour t-shirt, from my parents I received tons of TMBG stickers, the Insect Dial-A-Song t-shirt and the drunken bird shot glasses, which I took the liberty to get drunk from at the dinner table :P This X-mas was special cause it marks my first order from the catalog, yay. Heh, I knew I was gettin' something TMBG when a couple packages from TMBProductions arrived at my doorstep a couple weeks in advance. And for my most suprising gift, I received 52 episodes of MST3K, from the "Joel" season, WHOOPIE!!!!! and EGADS! Merry, a few days after X-mas everyone Mysterio Gal (who's upset that she never did make her X-mas TMBG tape) "often washed- seldom clean," --Jack M. Brewer MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 00:29:48 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Movie trivia Message-ID: <19981228.004229.-896945.4.gray42@juno.com> From: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) Hey didja know that the movie where TMBG got it's name, still costs around 60 bucks if ya wanna buy it new. Damn, I can't find that thing anywhere and I DON'T HAVE CABLE :( Mysterio Gal (completely out to lunch in squaresville) "often washed- seldom clean," --Jack M. Brewer MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com, send attachments to mr_realgal@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: wagner@mindspring.com Message-ID: <006d01be3228$d4f10b00$70fb45cf@computer> Subject: TMBG: non-tmbg: bnl chords Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 01:10:53 -0500 hey you guys does anybody know of any barenaked ladies guitar chord sites that have the chords to "born on a pirate ship" *besides* the one at www.mneta.com/~mite? this site has chords to everything else but the person isn't posting these chords, so i'm trying to find these chords elsewhere. thanks. david. wagner. wagner@mindspring.com "paging mr. saxophone" [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #13-28 ******************************