Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #13-30 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 13, Number 30 Wednesday, 30 December 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: RE: tmbg-list Digest #13-29 Re: TMBG:First concerts, other bands. Re: TMBG:First concerts, other bands. Re: TMBG: Movie trivia Re: Non-TMBG: I'm listening to....(and concerts) Re: Non-TMBG: I'm listening to....(and concerts) Non-TMBG: In my cd player TMBG: concerts TMBG:Fw: A message from good old Brian D. Re: Non-TMBG: I'm listening to....(and concerts) Re: NON-TMBG: top 10 of the year (My ranting about things) Re: Non-TMBG: I'm listening to....(and concerts) Re: TMBG:Fw: A message from good old Brian D. Re: TMBG:First concerts, other bands. Re: Non-TMBG: In my cd player TMBG: snmnmnm Re: TMBG:Fw: A message from good old Brian D. Re: Non-TMBG: I'm listening to....(and concerts) Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: From: "Pletikapich, John (OH35)" Subject: TMBG: RE: tmbg-list Digest #13-29 Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 09:18:37 -0500 De-lurking... Just wanted to drop you all a note about first concerts. Mine: Scorpions, AC-DC, Ted Nugent (Januay 1979) I saw Ted Nugent on a VH-1 special last week. Let me tell you he was a hot ticket back then. Isn't life amusing.... -- John ------------------------------ From: RabbiVole@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 10:32:36 EST Subject: Re: TMBG:First concerts, other bands. you are all odd! odd, i say! the day i listen to anything other than yes, steve vai, and they might be giants is the day i lose my grasp on reality: for listening to the same songs over and over and over and over again for several years really gives me something to look forward to every day as i listen to them again. hrumph. in fact, i've only ever seen tmbg in concert, and then only three times. damn eclectisism! it never did anyone any good, blah! i LIKE having a one track mind: it gives me the attention span of a rock, by god. peace, love, and good happiness stuff, jay. ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 10:39:30 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG:First concerts, other bands. Message-ID: <19981229.103944.4438.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> >hey! did you call back and there was another song? nope... i called back like three weeks later and heard something else. I'm really tempted to pull a "gloria" call since their's still takes messages (or at least it did three weeks ago). But i haven't come up with the perfect conversation... But i'm sure you kids are creative enough to think something up... any suggestions? take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: <6856fea.36892307@aol.com> Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 13:44:23 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Movie trivia I guess I'm lucky that my library system has a copy of it. I looked into ordering it through a store and I think it was about $70. I think I'd rather go nuts and spend $70 in the TMBG catalog (that money would go very fast) then buy the movie. -Amber the Transcendent ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981229195022.15161.rocketmail@send201.yahoomail.com> Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 11:50:22 -0800 (PST) From: Justin Tittelfitz Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: I'm listening to....(and concerts) ---Happy Cow wrote: > The Aquabats - The Fury of the Aquabats right on, dude! i didn't know anyone else in the world had heard of the aquabats. look for their first cd, return of the aquabats, which is 10 times better. and if anyone ever gets a chance to see them live, whether you like ska or not, do it! their shows rival even tmbg's. guavaboy9 _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: ctyner@clemson.edu Message-Id: <199812291953.OAA01336@atl1.america.net> Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 14:55:17 -0500 Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: I'm listening to....(and concerts) > their shows rival even tmbg's. Perhaps I'm asking to be flamed for saying this -- but am I the only one who doesn't find TMBG's live shows to be that remarkable? Don't get me wrong -- I have a lot of fun at them and always see 'em when they come near here, but...I dunno, it's kind of hard to describe, but if you've ever seen a _really_ good live show and compare it to TMBG...they just pale in comparison... Just MHO, -Adam ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 12:02:22 -0800 (PST) Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19981229120126.30e794bc@proaxis.com> From: Bridget Therease Subject: Non-TMBG: In my cd player 1998 has been kind of a crappy year for music, imho. However, I can still pool my resources to get a list, because I am bored. All the time. What I have been listening to (once again not all in 1998): REM - Up (this album is simply amazing) Cake - Prolonging the Magic BNL - Stunt (yeah, yeah. i shouldn't have to feel dirty) Sean Lennon - Into the Sun Harvey Danger - Where Have All The Merrymakers Gone? Suede - Scifi Lullabies Ash - 1977 Ben Folds Five - all of it, baby Blur - Modern Life is Rubbish (well, and everything else too) Pulp - This is Hardcore (and everything else)(ooh! ooh! pulp!) Joni Mitchell - Court and Spark Pavement -Brighten the Corners TMBG, obviously Beck - Mutations Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes Depeche Mode - Some Great Reward Kraftwerk - The Mix Hum - everything I can find radiohead in general So yeah. And there's probably a lot of other stuff I've managed to forget too, but oh well. so what? Bridget "Wishes to hell that Mike Leffel'd come back. oh mikey...we hardly knew ye..." Guildner *celestia* celestia@tmbg.org http://www.proaxis.com/~tooms/ icq # 2814304 and that goes in there, and that goes in there... ooh, and then it's over... -pulp, this is hardcore ------------------------------ From: PULPSTRESS@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 15:25:59 EST Subject: TMBG: concerts In a message dated 98-12-29 14:54:27 EST, ctyner@clemson.edu writes: << Perhaps I'm asking to be flamed for saying this -- but am I the only one who doesn't find TMBG's live shows to be that remarkable? >> I've seen them 8 times... 4 times have been absolutely amazingly wonderful, 3 have been mediocre and one was really bad. None of the bands that I've seen more than one time (R.E.M., Connells, Pulp, Radiohead, Longpigs, Supergrass, lush, Echo & the Bunnymen, Pavement, Blur, Oasis) have been wonderful each time. Actually..that's not entirely true now that I think about it... both times I saw the B-52's they were almost nearly perfect. jennifer np *scarlet* lush ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000a01be336d$7bf5a2e0$21bf97d0@ns1.mix-net.net.dns.commdesign.com> From: "Feeny (Chris Campbell)" Subject: TMBG:Fw: A message from good old Brian D. Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 15:54:52 -0500 This is from Brian Doherty, and I thought U guys would like to see it:-) -----Original Message----- >hi - thanks for your email. It's nice to know that tmbg fans remember >me! I loved working with J and J. We had alot of fun together. > >Give my regards to everyone - brian >_________________________________________________________ >DO YOU YAHOO!? >Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com -Feeny, aka Chris Campbell --ICQ# 22373843 --AIM: Chriscam84 feeny@tmbg.org http://w3.to/tmbg ---"Somebody put their fingers in the presidents ears, it wasn't too much later they came out with Johnson's Wax" ----Purple Toupee, They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 17:31:04 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: I'm listening to....(and concerts) Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 29-Dec-98 Re: Non-TMBG: I'm listening.. by ctyner@CLEMSON.EDU > Perhaps I'm asking to be flamed for saying this -- but am I the only > one who doesn't find TMBG's live shows to be that remarkable? I suppose it depends on what you're looking for. Of the two bands I've seen the most, I'd have to say that Moxy Fruvous' live show is far more entertaining than TMBG's. But they are different types of bands, and can't really be compared. I think TMBG should lose some of the improv from their show, though, because it doesn't really suit their style that well... (plus they're not really that good at it) I didn't mind the shows back in 1994 - when The Guitar was done like it is on the album, and the bass solo was only 4 measures long, and Spy had maybe a minute and a half of improv... when it was long. Now The Guitar takes about 6 minutes to get through and Spy takes another 6 minutes; each is about 3 minutes longer than it should be - those 6 extra minutes could fit at least 2 more songs. but that's not what bugs me the most... on an off night, a TMBG show will be absolutely awful; when Moxy Fruvous are having an off night, a show will be just a little less awesome. Moxy Fruvous are entertainers; TMBG are musicians. I think TMBG shows would become more interesting again if they brought back Stump the Band... if it doesn't work, they fall back onto one of their own songs (used to be See the Constellation) and if it does work, you get a cool TMBG-ized version of some popular song or something. That was entertaining. I'm going to wait, though, until January 1 or so to judge further; I'll see how the next three shows go. I'm especially looking forward to the New Year's Eve show... Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "You keep handing out horseshoes * This space inadvertently Horseshoes have gotta be tossed." -Moxy Fruvous * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ From: linnel@snet.net Message-Id: <199812292344.SAA28595@pop.snet.net> Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 18:41:11 -0500 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: top 10 of the year (My ranting about things) > Here's some books everybody needs to read... > Breakfast of Champions/Cats Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut Jr. amen! i recommend this author to everyone. i've been reading his books like the fool that i am. i just finished "Slapstick", aka "Lonesome No More". i just can't get enough of it. after finishing it, i promptly gave it to my friend to read (er, to be truthful, i forced it upon her). when i asked her a few days later what she thought so far, her first words were, "jen! this book is about INCEST! GROSS!" needless to say, she didn't like it. i guess she couldn't find any hidden, personal messages... but you have to actually use your brain to dig below the surface. perhaps it was too much work... wow. i did a fine job of veering right off topic, there... jen ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 18:08:56 -0700 Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: I'm listening to....(and concerts) Message-ID: <19981229.181624.15766.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> >Perhaps I'm asking to be flamed for saying this -- but am I the only >one who doesn't find TMBG's live shows to be that remarkable? yeahyeah... and the original poster was right on in using the aquabats as a comparison. In my grand total of seein them 9 times, it's always new and they always incorporate the audience somehow (even if it's just the chicken genie throwing mcdonalds chicken nuggets out into the audience). TMBG get there, they play their songs and they go. They don't ever reeeeaally want to talk to the fans after the shows... they look at that as some sort of duty. I guess they're just *all about* the music where as the aquabats (moxy fruvous works too) really want to keep everyone entertained and having a good time with more than just their music. i dunno, i totally agree with ya. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 17:58:58 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG:Fw: A message from good old Brian D. Message-ID: <19981229.181624.15766.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> >This is from Brian Doherty, and I thought U guys would like to see >it:-) i'd like to remind everyone that this is coming from chris who also claimed he was talking to flansburgh for the longest time... when we all knew it was alex. ugh. >>hi - thanks for your email. It's nice to know that tmbg fans >remember >>me! I loved working with J and J. We had alot of fun together. doesn't that seem a little too cheery? i mean, in every interview where they talk about the departre of brian they don't make it sound like it was on too friendly of terms. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: ErgoTM@aol.com Message-ID: <12b55bed.36898001@aol.com> Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 20:21:05 EST Subject: Re: TMBG:First concerts, other bands. Get the neverhood soundtrack and give it a listen it is the coolest CD I got all year. All the music on it is by terry taylor. It is neato. it is the bee's knee's. it is...um good. Jeff "The quote that almost might have been" Craig ------------------------------ From: wagner@mindspring.com Message-ID: <000201be339e$6c8d4700$1de045cf@computer> Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: In my cd player Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 21:44:01 -0500 hey all. my first concert - as much as i hate to admit it - was new kids on the block. i was in third grade, though, and my sister was in love with them, so b/c i didn't know any better, i tagged along. my next concert was REM, on the last nite of the monster tour. wow, what a great show. next two shows were indigo girls. next show was richard thompson, and that was really good, he's such an amazing artist. my next one (and most recent one) was they might be giants. here's what i've been listening to: >REM - Up (this album is simply amazing) oh yes it is! this album is so good, i can't get enough of it. i didn't like it at first but it's grown on me so much. it isn't like anything else they've ever done, and i can't think of *anything* to compare it to. -barenaked ladies: rock spectacle -squirrel nut zippers: perrineal favorites -various artists: the two-tone collection -elliot smith: XO (one of my favorite albums) -10,000 maniacs: our time in eden, unplugged -the specials: singles collection -various artists: ska wars, disc 3 (?) -- especially bad manners! -ska, in general -sarah mclachlan: surfacing -radiohead: ok computer -richard thompson: rumor and sigh -beck: mutations -bob dylan: anything, especially nashville skyline -ben folds five: whatever and ever amen -cornershop: woman's gotta have it (a must for all alternative music-lovers) -galactic: crazy horsemongoose -grateful dead: anything, especially reckoning -madness: total madness -bruch mcculloch (yes, the guy from kids in the hall): answering machine EP -any REM -and of course, tmbg. david. wagner. wagner@mindspring.com ------------------------------ From: Tmbg4life@aol.com Message-ID: <532319f6.3689a49d@aol.com> Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 22:57:17 EST Subject: TMBG: snmnmnm hey does anybody know if or what SNMNMNM stands for 'cause i was looking for their CDs but i couldn't find any of them ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG:Fw: A message from good old Brian D. Message-ID: <19981230.003145.4687.5.sailormorningstar@juno.com> From: sailormorningstar@juno.com (Karyn M Majetich) Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 00:35:50 EST <> The plot thickens -Karen :P ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: I'm listening to....(and concerts) Message-ID: <19981230.003145.4687.3.sailormorningstar@juno.com> From: sailormorningstar@juno.com (Karyn M Majetich) Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 00:35:50 EST <> Sort of depressing ain't it!? I mean, I myself have never been to a TMBG concert. However, if I were to go to one..I would definity want to meet the Johns or at least talk to them and get their autograph. One another aspect though...I doubt that they are always this way, thinking of their fans as a chore. I have a friend who went to one of their concerts and afterwards she met Flans and got his autograph. She told me that he seemed cheery. (hehe I totally envy her) I think I remember her telling me that she said to flans.. "I've loved you guys since I was eight years old!" and then he said "That's funny....that's the same thing my wife said to me when we first met!" I don't think that TMBG really ALWAYS neglects their audience...(if this was what was implyed by the above)...but maybe they should make a better effort in involving the audience so they can have a good time. -Karen :P ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #13-30 ******************************