Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #13-5 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 13, Number 5 Saturday, 5 December 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: See the constalation background noise Re: TMBG: See the constalation background noise TMBG: RE:makin' a xmas tape Re: TMBG: RE:makin' a xmas tape TMBG: children's album Re: TMBG: See the constalation background noise Re: TMBG: See the constalation background noise Re: TMBG: RE:makin' a xmas tape Re: TMBG: See the constalation background noise Re: TMBG: See the constalation background noise TMBG: Pointless BFF non-reference Re: TMBG: children's album TMBG: DC date TMBG: Re: TMBG UK tour TMBG: Re: makin' a xmas tape Re: TMBG: Re: makin' a xmas tape Re: TMBG: See the constalation background noise Re: TMBG: Re: makin' a xmas tape Re: TMBG: Re: makin' a xmas tape Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Gweeg@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 02:26:59 EST Subject: TMBG: See the constalation background noise At the end of See the Constalation when the music is fading out i can hear what seems to be another song. It sounds like it has a vibraphone in it and i can hear the drums and the bass. Has anyone else ever noticed it? its really quiet... is it intended to just be part of the song? I dunno! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3667A40A.AD384B3F@mail.utexas.edu> Date: Fri, 04 Dec 1998 02:57:46 -0600 From: Mitchell Perry Harding Organization: University of Texas at Austin Subject: Re: TMBG: See the constalation background noise Gweeg@aol.com wrote: > At the end of See the Constalation when the music is fading out i can hear > what seems to be another song. It sounds like it has a vibraphone in it and i > can hear the drums and the bass. Has anyone else ever noticed it? its really > quiet... is it intended to just be part of the song? I dunno! Are you listening to a tape or a CD? Harf, Mitch http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~mitcharf/ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199812041602.KAA29164@utulsa.edu> From: "Kris Maxwell" Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 10:03:46 -0600 Subject: TMBG: RE:makin' a xmas tape it sounds like a good idea, but you should probably put Careless Santa on there. :) Kris "flashback" maxwell ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19981204164435.1494.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: RE:makin' a xmas tape Date: Fri, 04 Dec 1998 08:44:35 PST Kris Maxwell wrote: >it sounds like a good idea, but you should probably put Careless >Santa on there. :) While you're at it, you should probably include "Careless Santa," too. -- May you live in interesting times, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 01:06:12 -0500 Subject: TMBG: children's album Message-ID: <19981130.211010.4414.4.particle.man@juno.com> From: particle.man@juno.com (Anon Y Mous) Subject: TMBG: Children's Album Message-ID: <19981114.033359.4727.5.sailormorningstar@juno.com> From: sailormorningstar@juno.com (Celeste A Majetic) Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 03:37:06 EST Children's Album??? I'm sorry...if my comments are totally wrong or off.....but I've never heard about this. I agree with....Gweeg@aol.com....if TMBG want to make a children's album that's a-ok with me.....but I hope for their sake that they use a different name....I mean, come on! How often do you hear about a band putting out a children's Album??? Have you ever turned on the radio to hear the DJ say...."Marilyn Manson"...has just put out a children's album...(god forbid)....or that "The Presidents of the US of America" have..............NOT VERY OFTEN! Sure....the album may have popularity with the younger kiddies...But think about it! They already have a good thing going! My little cousin who is five years old LOVES TMBG already!....(THANX TO ME!)..sure she doesn't fully understand what they are talking about...or read a theme into their songs......but that's not the point..................... Err, Marilyn Manson is a bit of a stretch, but many of TMBG's and even POTUSA's songs could already be considered "children's songs". For TMBG: Istanbul, Particle Man, Mammal, Guitar, Spider, well, you get the point. And I only have Presidents' first album, but off there a couple come to mind, despite any sexual references they might intail: Peaches, Kitty (minus the line with Fuck You Kitty, you're gonna spend the night..."), etc. In my opinion, a children's album wouldn't be much of a stretch for Them. They'd just have to be careful not to swear or put in too many hard to understand images. particle.man@juno.com ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19981204132040.00912370@EMail.Psu.Edu> Date: Fri, 04 Dec 1998 13:20:40 -0500 From: Jason Fickley Subject: Re: TMBG: See the constalation background noise I have definetly noticed this too. At first I thought my tape was screwy but when I bought the cd I still heard it. Does anyone else hear similar music after the end of Dinner Bell? --Jason, who just got his copy of Live!! NYC and loves the Cepastat (sp) track. What is Cepastat anyway? At 02:26 AM 12/4/98 EST, you wrote: > At the end of See the Constalation when the music is fading out i can hear >what seems to be another song. It sounds like it has a vibraphone in it and i >can hear the drums and the bass. Has anyone else ever noticed it? its really >quiet... is it intended to just be part of the song? I dunno! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19981204140618.007bdac0@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Fri, 04 Dec 1998 14:06:18 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: See the constalation background noise At 01:20 PM 12/4/98 -0500, Jason Fickley wrote: > >--Jason, who just got his copy of Live!! NYC and loves the Cepastat (sp) >track. What is Cepastat anyway? I believe it's a toothpaste company. -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.crystal-night.com/~ctyner/tuscadero.html http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ He-Man, Tuscadero, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, & more! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <366832CC.8ADCC207@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> Date: Fri, 04 Dec 1998 14:06:52 -0500 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: TMBG: RE:makin' a xmas tape Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > > Kris Maxwell wrote: > >it sounds like a good idea, but you should probably put Careless > >Santa on there. :) > > While you're at it, you should probably include "Careless Santa," too. A Christmas album again this year? Did we decide Mono Puff was close enough, because we almost forgot Careless Santa last time. Make sure we put Careless Santa on there! What's a Christmas like without bitching about the info club and making a TMBG Christmas album? I don't know. I honestly don't know... - Chad "Leffel sigs down 98% on tmbg-list: Story at 10" Maloney ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <198e857c.36683371@aol.com> Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 14:09:37 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: See the constalation background noise In a message dated 12/4/98 4:00:21 AM, mitcharf@mail.utexas.edu writes: >> At the end of See the Constalation when the music is fading out >i can hear >> what seems to be another song. It sounds like it has a vibraphone in >it and i >> can hear the drums and the bass. Has anyone else ever noticed it? its >really >> quiet... is it intended to just be part of the song? I dunno! > >Are you listening to a tape or a CD? it's on one of the PODAS tapes (#2 i think)... can't remember the name. maybe it's that "b side" or whatever.. i dunno.. but it's the same song. sarah who just had her tonsils and adnoids out.. yeeeeow.. ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 14:19:15 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: See the constalation background noise In a message dated 12/4/98 2:13:23 PM, KdsInThHal@aol.com writes: > >it's on one of the PODAS tapes (#2 i think)... can't remember the name. >maybe >it's that "b side" or whatever.. i dunno.. but it's the same song. > err, it's called "side two." sarah ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19981204144948.00915bf0@EMail.Psu.Edu> Date: Fri, 04 Dec 1998 14:49:48 -0500 From: Jason Fickley Subject: TMBG: Pointless BFF non-reference I know this isn't really a "reference", but in the Ben Folds Five song 'Kate' there is the line "she plays wipeout on the drums, the squirrels and the birds come, gather 'round to sing the guitar". I realize this means they are singing the guitar's part in Wipeout, but the every time I hear it I just think of squirrels and birds singing "In the spaceship, the silver spaceship...". Just thought I'd share my observations :) --Jason-- p.s. Live NYC: "She doesn't have to have her Primus tape back" Boy, was I not expecting that :) Also, I listened to the cd for the first time without reading the track listing and I must say Turn Around live was a very pleasent surprise. ------------------------------ From: CajunGram@aol.com Message-ID: <29f711c5.36686aad@aol.com> Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 18:05:17 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: children's album In a message dated 98-12-04 12:09:15 EST, you write: << Have you ever turned on the radio to hear the DJ say...."Marilyn Manson"...has just put out a children's album...(god forbid)....or that "The Presidents of the US of America" >> Hmm... I think that that They should put out the children's album under They Might Be Giants. Thought it's not the standard in the music biz to make a children's album, it is just an album aimed at a different audience with a different sound made by the same band. Lots of bands have changed their sounds over time and not changed their name with each genre jump. The Beatles, for example, sounded completly different on The White Album than Please Please Me, but it was still the Beatles... On a side note, I would like to see a Marilyn Manson children's album. And a PUSA children's album would jsut kick some major ass too!! Graham Here lie the records that she scratched And on the sleeve I find a note attached And it's so like Candy... -Elvis Costello ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19981204200843.007d74a0@pop.mindspring.com> Date: Fri, 04 Dec 1998 20:08:43 -0500 From: Ben Bradshaw Subject: TMBG: DC date After I posted what I originally had yesterday I think it was, I looked it up at the 9:30 club website, and I couldn't believe it. Just the day before, it had been on the 20th. I was so ready to drive up there right after work that night, and be back in time for work the next morning. ARRRRRRGH! It's unbelievable. I already got a big crew to go up there. Oh well, not too much I can do about it now. Ben ------------------------------ From: GoodOmenz@aol.com Message-ID: <83d139d5.36688911@aol.com> Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 20:14:57 EST Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG UK tour hey'all! i've been trying to email various UK folks about this individually but the messages keep coming back so i'll try it this way... completely coincidentally, TMBG's trip to London coincides with MY trip to london and i was wondering if any of the good people here would be so kind as to let me know how i can get tix to their show on the 18th for myself and a friend (maybe two...) I live in nyc. if you could email me that'd be way cool! and if you have any other cool tourist tips and silly stuff like that i'd love ya. thanks muchos! ~lizzy ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 18:15:54 -0700 Subject: TMBG: Re: makin' a xmas tape Message-ID: <19981204.181558.19254.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> >>it sounds like a good idea, but you should probably put Careless >>Santa on there. :) > >While you're at it, you should probably include "Careless Santa," too. hehee... that just made my (otherwise ill) day, hail to the recurring threads! :) here's what someone posted last year: We Just Go Nuts At Christams Time - TMBG Sanats Beard - TMBG O Tannenbaum - TMBG Careless Santa - Mono Puff Christmas Cards - TMBG Careless Santa - Mono Puff Auld Lang Syne - TMBG (12-31-89 Knitting Factory) Santa Clause is Smoking Reefer - Squirrel Nut Zippers Christmas at the Zoo - Flaming Lips Careless Santa - Mono Puff Winter Reveries/Closing of the Year - "Toys" sndtrk. Wintertime - Steve Miller Band December - Collective Soul Careless Santa - Mono Puff Happy X-mas (War is Over) - John Lennon Santa, Baby - ? Up on The Housetop - Jimmy Buffett Ho Ho Ho and a bottle of Rhum - Jimmy Buffet Careless Santa - Mono Puff Run, Run Rudolf -Jimmy Buffett Cupid - TMBG (I know, but valentines day is kinda close to Christmas/New Years this on is a big maybe) The Chipmunk Song [ed. note: "Me I want a hula hooooop] - Alvin and the Chipmunks Brick - Ben Folds Five (I know this is reaching... "...Day after Christmas...") and finally Careless Santa - Mono Puff personally i would remove a lot of the crappy stuff up there and add the following from the december, 1995 hello cd of the month club Santa Special CD: -Spondee: Elf's Blues -Candy Butchers: Give Me A Second Chance (For Christmas) -Mono Puff: Careless Santa (can't forget this one!) -Brian Dewan: the island of misfit toys -silver and gold and finally, "Holiday greetings from hello" / John Flansburgh's friendly holiday greetings :P take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::returning to her extreme state of illness::: ________________________________________________________________ Get secure free e-mail that you don't need Web access to use from Juno, the world's second largest online service. Download your free software at http://www.juno.com/getit.b.html. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19981204203139.007bf100@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Fri, 04 Dec 1998 20:31:39 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: makin' a xmas tape I'd add "Holidays 'R Hell" by Tuscadero to that list as well... -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.crystal-night.com/~ctyner/tuscadero.html http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ He-Man, Tuscadero, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, & more! ------------------------------ From: Kreadoubt@aol.com Message-ID: <32e03fb1.36689b0c@aol.com> Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 21:31:40 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: See the constalation background noise < At 01:20 PM 12/4/98 -0500, Jason Fickley wrote: > >--Jason, who just got his copy of Live!! NYC and loves the Cepastat (sp) >track. What is Cepastat anyway? >> Cepastat is an over-the-counter soare throat medication. "This is the audienec tarpicitation....participation portion of the show" JF ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 04 Dec 1998 22:10:15 -0500 From: Destin Berthelot Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: makin' a xmas tape Message-id: <3668A417.8F280AAA@rollins.edu> I don't really know why I'm sharing, but I'm in the process of making a neeto christmas CD to burn for all my friends... here's the tracklist (in no order whatsoever): 1 flaming lips-xmas at the zoo 2 mono puff-careless santa 3 tmbg-santa's beard 4 weird al-xmas at ground zero 5 weird al-the night santa went crazy 6 south park-o holy night 7 tmbg-o tannenbaum 8 arrogant worms: christmas is here 9 monty python: xmas in heaven 10 chipmunks-xmas don't be late 11 south park-i'm a lonely jew 12 steve martin: xmas wish (lo-fi, from sat night live) 13 bad religion: joy to the world 14 bad religion: god rest ye jerry mentleman 15 wally pleasant: merry christmas time again 16 fountains of wayne-hannukah under the stars 17 boris karloff-mr grinch (lo-fi) 18 ramones-merry xmas I don't want to fight 19 dandy warhols-little drummer boy 20 tom & pete-xmas sucks <--unknown song, unknown title, unlabeled xmas cd. But they're parodying tom waits... anyone know what this is? 21 run dmc-xmas in hollis 22 tmbg- we just go nuts at xmastime (lo-fi frank o'toole version) 23 squirrely nut zippers-carolina xmas 24 squirrel nutty zippers-indian giver <---may have to cut this due to time constraints 25. squirrel nut zipperheads-santa claus is smoking reefer 26. simpsons-robert goulet sings jingle bells 27. soul coughing-suzy snowflake 28. beck-little drum machine boy 29. descendants-christmas vacation 30. vandals-oi to the world 31. sailor moon-akahana no tonakai (rudolph the red-nosed reindeer) It's amazing what cool things you can find with the help of a college radio station and the internet. :) Hey, I could prolly burn a couple extra copies if anybody wants to pay a few bucks for the CDr and shipping... -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Destin Berthelot | "All persons, http://fox.rollins.edu/~dberthelot/ | living or dead, | are purely They Might Be Giants Visual Discography: | coincidental." http://members.xoom.com/theymightbe/ | -Kurt Vonnegut ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Sat, 5 Dec 1998 00:36:31 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: makin' a xmas tape Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 4-Dec-98 Re: TMBG: Re: makin' a xmas.. by Destin Berthelot@Rollins > I don't really know why I'm sharing, but I'm in the process of making a > neeto christmas CD to burn for all my friends... here's the tracklist > (in no order whatsoever): I really shouldn't add to this thread any more than already has been, but don't forget to put Careless Santa on the CD... it's deja vu all over again... :) Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "You keep handing out horseshoes * This space inadvertently Horseshoes have gotta be tossed." -Moxy Fruvous * left with stuff in it. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #13-5 *****************************