Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-370 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 370 Tuesday, 6 January 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: help! TMBG: Secret Track. TMBG: BNL Re: NON-TMBG: BNL Re: TMBG: BNL TMBG: a couple of songs in the key of E... for those interested... TMBG: Jeopardy Take 2 Re: TMBG: Jeopardy Take 2 Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: Date: Sat, 3 Jan 1998 22:23:11 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: TMBG: help! ok, I've now listened to this about 1000 times, and just cannot figure it out... I'm trying to sequence the original version of James K. Polk, and I've got two major problems: 1. I just cannot get the bass part from 'and an abolitionist' through 'expansionist.' 2. I have no idea what beat the piano comes in on 'expansionist.' that thing is so amazingly syncopated it's sick! any ideas? once I solve those problems, I should be able to finish the MIDI in a few days... ------------------------------ From: jubei@grnet.com Date: Mon, 5 Jan 1998 15:13:18 -0500 Message-ID: Subject: TMBG: Secret Track. If some of you haven't figured it out yet, there's a secret track on Factory Showroom. To access this track, simply start on S-E-X-X-Y and "rewind" until about -1:00 appears on the cd display. Just play the track from there on. Something about the bill collector drinking lighter fluid... Vic(tor) Fitz(simons) ------------------------------ From: filthyscarecrow@webtv.net Message-Id: <199801052109.NAA04371@mailtod-151.iap.bryant.webtv.net> Date: Mon, 5 Jan 1998 16:09:48 -0500 Subject: TMBG: BNL Are the BNL mainstream? I hear about them alot. I've even seen one of thier videos. I'm not sure if I could like a mainstream band. Don't know what my problem is. Danno ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980105162744.006a0734@130.127.28.14> Date: Mon, 05 Jan 1998 16:27:44 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: BNL Hmmm...I'd say that they're getting there, although I wouldn't consider them mainstream at the moment. TTYL, -Adam, who just tracked down a copy of The Yellow Tape on CD...very rare! At 04:09 PM 1/5/98 -0500, you wrote: > Are the BNL mainstream? I hear about them alot. I've even seen one of >thier videos. > I'm not sure if I could like a mainstream band. Don't know what my >problem is. > >Danno > > /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199801052313.SAA27787@ee.net> Date: Mon, 05 Jan 1998 18:09:19 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: BNL filthyscarecrow@webtv.net wrote: > Are the BNL mainstream? I hear about them alot. I've even seen one of >thier videos. > I'm not sure if I could like a mainstream band. Don't know what my >problem is. I couldn't let this pass without commenting... (But first, I'll say that BNL aren't mainstream 'round here - Ohio, state motto: "Average and Proud" - they are more popular than TMBG however.) Anyway.... you said >>> I'm not sure if I could like a mainstream band.<<< I hope you don't mean what this appears to say, which is that you avoid mainstream music, simply because it _is_ mainstream... this exactly the same as avoiding music because it isn't popular. Perhaps you meant that you coudn't like a band that had sold out, or is popular simply because of media endorsements, not because of the quality of their music. Personally, I like several bands inthe mainstream and not (BNL, BFF, Phish, Weezer, Everclear), but none of them because of their popularity one way or another. So, ah... I guess that's it. -ec > >Danno > ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Mon, 5 Jan 1998 19:57:41 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: TMBG: a couple of songs in the key of E... for those interested... I finally got around to writing up the chords for Nightgown of the Sullen Moon and Letterbox, and felt I would share them with you all (since the last time I sent anything to tmbg.org it never got posted) Letterbox by They Might Be Giants transcribed by Lawrence Solomon lps@andrew.cmu.edu This is really easy to play, so long as you remember that it's in 6/8 and not 4/4. Each chord is held for a whole measure, unless indicated with a slash, which chops its length in half. A rest (they're useful in this song) is represented by an 'R' and the same rules for duration apply. I apologize for some of the lines being too long for most screens. Blame Linnell. :) Intro: |: E A :| R / E A E A |: E A :| I'll never know what you'll find when you open up your letterbox tomor - row. 'Cause the little bird never tells me anything I want to know, she's my best friend, she's the sparrow. And I'll never never F#m A know what you never never never want to know when you know what you are, |: E A :| x4 O. If I had a pair of eyes in the back of my head for each time. You forgot to take out all the thing you forgot to talk about when you took a bite out of my spine. I would have a F#m A lot of eyes on the other side, wouldn't I? Wouldn't that just be E A fine. Bridge: R / E A B C#m Too late or soon to make noise a - C#m B bout love and there's no time for sorrow C#m A Run around in the rain with a hole in the brain 'til to - B B7 mor - row. E A I'll never know what you'll find when you open up your letterbox tomor - R / E A row. 'Cause the little |: E A :| bird never tells me anything I want to know, she's my best friend, she's the sparro - o - o - ow. And I'll never never F#m A know what you never never never want to know when you know what you are, E E O. Nightgown of the Sullen Moon by They Might Be Giants transcribed by Lawrence Solomon lps@andrew.cmu.edu Each beat has been conveniently divided into four parts. This song is in 4/4 time, so each fourth of a beat represents one sixteenth note. I'm not going to try to put note durations in here, but I'm assuming that if you're interested in the chords to this, you know the rhythm of the song anyway. Basically, hold each chord as long as the dashes indicate. If nothing is indicated, rest. I think some of the vocal rhythm is wrong here, but if you know the song, you should be able to figure that out. It's not too difficult to play - most of the time, I just get the rhythm by feel - "Oh, I just hit an A chord... time to start the next line..." or something like that. :) || 1 & + & 2 & + & 3 & + & 4 & + & || Intro: |: E E E - - B A B :| x3 E E - E E |: E E E - - B B Fell in the door and you fell on the floor with your A A A - - B B :| Hand on the knob looking up and aburptly Forget what you're thinking fire alarms go off in your head you live in the |: E E E - - B B Night - gown of the sullen A A A - - A A :| x3 moon how the Win - dows lean in - to the room in the Night - gown of the sullen moon B B B drug trip, it's not a drug trip so you A A E E feel a bit in - sul - ted B B B space walk, it's like a space walk with the A A A B corre - sponding weight loss, and you're nothing but air with your hand in the air and your shoelaces tied up toghether with care, there's a feeling of boredom of the big whoredom, following dressing up in the Night - gown of the sullen moon how the Win - dows lean in - to the room in the Night - gown of the sullen moon Bridge: (mostly bass in here....) |: B E :| x3 A A B B7 in the Night - gown of the sullen moon how the Win - dows lean in - to the room in the Night - gown of the sullen moon Coda: {{ |: E E E - - B A B :| x2 Your head is on the moon. |: B B B - - A E A :| x2 It's not necc - ess - ary to breathe. |: A A A - - E B E :| x2 For - e - ver is a long time. }} x2 |: E E E - - B A B :| x3 Your head is on the moon. Your head is on the E E - E E moon. || 1 & + & 2 & + & 3 & + & 4 & + & || ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980105212128.00941570@csrlink.net> Date: Mon, 05 Jan 1998 21:21:28 -0500 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: TMBG: Jeopardy Take 2 Again with the TMBG References on Jeopardy, this time in "New Geography." First clue of the game was "This used to be called New Amsterdam." Or somesuch. I'm bored. So bored. But here's a thought. Get someone on the internet who sees Jeopardy earlier to send you the answers, then scam a buncha people. No, no, use your powers for good, not evil, you say. Nuts to that, I say. Dylan "More evil than Mike Leffel, and less fattening." Flipse Dylan Flipse...one of them. - dflipse@csrlink.net Dylan's page is at http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/ for now. I'll never see myself in the mirror with my eyes closed -They Might Be Giants, the coolest thing this side of Zaphod Beeblebrox. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199801060429.WAA12031@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "mal" Subject: Re: TMBG: Jeopardy Take 2 Date: Mon, 5 Jan 1998 22:12:08 -0600 > Dylan "More evil than Mike Leffel, and less fattening." Flipse You're *NOT* more evil than me, and Damn it all! I'm not *FAT*!!! I'M FESTIVLY PLUMP!!!! Mike "Kick Ass!" Leffel --using 3% of the list in the last 5 days, used the letter 'a' fourtyfour times. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-370 ******************************