Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-371 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 371 Wednesday, 7 January 1998 Today's Topics: Re: BNL (NON TMBG: ) TMBG: pop music TMBG: This awesome song I heard TMBG: TMBG Video Bootleg - Vol. 3 Re: TMBG: TMBG Video Bootleg - Vol. 3 TMBG: pop music Re: TMBG: help! Re: TMBG: Secret Track. TMBG: The Evening Session Re: NON-TMBG: BNL Re: NON-TMBG: BNL Re: TMBG: Jeopardy Take 2 Re: NON-TMBG: BNL TMBG: The Man... Clipart. TMBG: TMBG : Digital Bootleg traders? TMBG: NEW GERMAN boots!!! Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: <724ce316.34b21f98@aol.com> Date: Tue, 6 Jan 1998 07:12:06 EST Subject: Re: BNL (NON TMBG: ) Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) Eeenh. This was gonna be an email but the list looks too anorexic today. > Are the BNL mainstream? I hear about them alot. I've even seen one of >thier videos. > I'm not sure if I could like a mainstream band. Don't know what my >problem is. They're not really mainstream... they've been underground sweeties (a la TMBG) since '91 (est. 1989). It's just that now, they're getting so much word-of- mouth that mainstream places are starting to take notice. hey, it's the millenium. ;) "you don't neeed a motive, man." not even a week into the new year, 2 celebs die skiing into trees.... the millenium, man. sarah.;) http://lava.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 6 Jan 1998 06:05:25 -0700 Subject: TMBG: pop music Message-ID: <19980106.060535.13398.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (JOda: Master of Yedi) >>>Anyway.... you said >>> I'm not sure if I could like a mainstream band.<<< I hope you don't mean what this appears to say, which is that you avoid mainstream music, simply because it _is_ mainstream... this exactly the same as avoiding music because it isn't popular. Perhaps you meant that you coudn't like a band that had sold out, or is popular simply because of media endorsements, not because of the quality of their music.<<< okay well i have a problem when people say it's wrong to like a band and then hate them when they sell out... the term *sell out* is used for more than just literally selling out... it's when the band totally forgets where they're coming from and why they're doing what they're doing and if you liked them because of what they were doing and how they approached everything then yes i say you have all the right in the world to hate the band after *selling out*. it's like a this trip of major resentment of the band and i think it's totally understandable... now as far as what that dude was saying " I'm not sure if I could like a mainstream band." perhaps they're just sick of seeing other people go smitten over bands like the spice girls and hanson... the bands that have the "media endorsements" are the ones that have totally forgotten why they wanted to play music in the first place... you don't typically find a band that says "oh hey, we started the band cuz we needed money" (the spice girls obviously DO fall in to that category but i can't think of any other bands that did... ) take it easy, JOrdaN ***My jack and diane 7" is stuck on "life goes on...life goes on...life goes on..." what does it mean?!*** ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34B24A45.81D3E2DC@worldnet.att.net> Date: Tue, 06 Jan 1998 10:14:13 -0500 From: John Lambert Subject: TMBG: This awesome song I heard Just wanted to tell you guys that I just came across the NEW debut They Might Be Giants album "Flood" and boy do I love it. Especially that song "Birdhouse in your soul"!!!!!! It's nice to see new and refreshing musicians out there. I'm their new biggest fan!!!!!!!! When I see them live I'll probably get the chance to mosh to their songs, huh??? I bet that'll be cool!!! I've heard that they like it when you throw pennies at them!!! One question though... are they still coming to my town as the opening act for Nirvana and Stone Temple Pilots???? Just checking the pulse of our fair list.... (smile people, cuz it was a joke!!!) Green "still been around twice as long as that brat Leffel" Jello ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34B24EE4.75C57B36@btc.adaptec.com> Date: Tue, 06 Jan 1998 08:33:56 -0700 From: Russ Josephson Organization: Adaptec, Inc Subject: TMBG: TMBG Video Bootleg - Vol. 3 It's finally available! The long promised, long awaited ... ========================================= THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS VIDEO BOOTLEG--VOL 3 ========================================= You'll be amazed ... astounded ... Be the first on _your_ block to see... Rare videos from the early days! The entire Perth Australia in-store appearance! Never before recorded songs and cover versions! The story behind "AKA Driver"! Flans tell how he feels about the tmbg internet newsgroup! Jordan's amateur video of "A Self Called Nowhere"! Date Time Show Songs -------- ----- ------------- ---------------------------- ??/??/89 02:20 Hotel Detective [video] ??/??/89 02:30 They'll Need a Crane [video] ??/??/89 03:10 Ana Ng [video] ??/??/91 07:00 JBTV Particle Man [live] She's Actual Size [live] ??/??/94 00:30 JBTV Intro 01:32 Interview on Snail shell video 02:28 Destination Moon [live] 02:28 Subliminal [live] 02:31 Meet James Ensor [live] 02:07 Istanbul [live] 03:06 Extra Savoir Faire [live] 02:42 Unrelated Thing [live] 01:00 dial-a-song plug 02:50 signing the guitar 05/??/95 02:10 Warehouse Rec. Lines Upon A Tranquil Brow (cover) 01:45 Seattle, WA I Wanna Be Sedated (cover) ??/??/95 15:00 Cutting Edge 3rd Interview/release of JH Snail Shell [clip] JF Interview: working with full band The Statue [clip] JF Interview: AKA Driver legalities Istanbul [clip] JF Interview: touring then & now JF Interview: on internet newsgroup Snail Shell [clip] JF Interview: making Snail Shell video 11/22/96 04:20 Aron's Records They Got Lost 03:10 Los Angeles CA Maybe I Know (cover) 02/15/97 03:50 Viva Variety Till My Head Falls Off [04/08/97 airdate on Comedy Central] 03/27/97 38:14 78's records Instore: She's Actual Size, Perth, Australia James K Polk, Spiralling Shape, New York City, Counterfeit Faker, Meet James Ensor (slow), Older, Where Your Eyes Don't Go, S-E-X-X-Y, Your Own Worst Enemy, Spy, Birdhouse ??/??/?? 02:45 Spud Goodman How Can I Sing Like A Girl 01:18 Your Own Worst Enemy (over credits) 08/??/97 04:18 Amateur video: A Self Called Nowhere Director: Jordan Cooper (Jordan1c@aol.com) 09/06/97 05:30 Hatch Shell Spy (with I Am Not Your Broom) 02:20 concert Rest Awhile ENOUGH HYPE--HERE ARE THE FAQS--JUST THE FAQS: 1. What's available now? "TMBG Video Bootleg - Vol. 1" "TMBG Video Bootleg - Vol. 2" "TMBG Video Bootleg - Vol. 3" "TMBG Hatch Shell Concerts: 9/6/96 & 9/6/97" "Joe Jackson Video Bootleg - Vol. 1" 2. Is this for profit? I don't think it's proper (or legal) to get a profit from this project, It is a labor of love, and could not happen without the contributions of many persons. In other words, my time is free. 3. Can I make a trade for the bootleg videos? Contact me to ask about trades. If you have any video material that I don't have (and want) I will trade with you. I always insist on trading with SP speed and on High Grade tapes. Since I dub with VHS-HI-FI stereo machines, I want especially to get HI-FI stereo recordings in trade. If you have audio material to trade, my rule of thumb is asking three audio tapes for one video tape. (Video is _much_ harder to come by and duplicate, and the mailing cost is about the same!) 4. Do you trade for blanks? I don't like the idea of people sending me blank tapes and postage in trade, because it's kind of a waste of postage to send the tapes twice through the mail. I can easily buy the materials myself, and stock up when they are on sale. If I can get a better price, I use the extra funds to repair and enhance my dubbing equipment. I keep a separate account for my tape trading, and therefore ensure that I never realize a profit. I think the reason people trade for blanks is that they feel it is "more legal" if no money changes hands. But then some people ask for two blanks for each one they send, which means that they make a profit anyway. 5. What if I don't have anything to trade? Just send me the following amount per tape in USA dollars: USA/Canada: $ 6.00 Other Countries: $ 9.00 That should cover my cost for tape, mailer, and postage. 6. I want the best quality dub on High Grade tapes. The above prices are for regular tapes. Add $1/each for "hi-grade" tapes, and $2/each for "audiophile" tapes. I've become convinced that the better tapes are worth it, especially as video degrades so much with each generation of copying. 7. What do you mean by "hi-grade" and "audiophile". Based on my experience with quality after trying various brands with over several months, I put the following chart together to grade normally available tapes (Note: I don't normally offer you a choice of your favorite brand): Brand Name Cheap Regular High-Grade Audiophile ========== ===== ======= ========== ========== BASF Extra Qual. Fuji HQ Super-HG Kodak Highgrade Extra-Highgrade Maxell GX-Silver HGX-Gold HIFI RCA Premium Scotch HS PHG Sony V V-Premium Grade TDK STD HG SHG/EHG HiFi Avg Cost/Tape $2.00 $2.50 $3.50 $4.50 8. Okay, I want the tapes already. What's the address? Russ Josephson 1217 N Aspen Dr. Berthoud, CO 80513-1040 9. Are checks and money orders okay for payment. My service is based on trust. If the paper is for US funds, and it will be paid by the bank, it's fine with me. I _hate_ the big service charges that my greedy bank adds to bounced checks! 10. Can you send me a PAL copy? Sorry, but I only have NTSC equipment. Many video and camera stores will convert between NTSC and PAL tapes, for a fee. They quoted me about $35US to convert NTSC to PAL, and $20US to convert PAL to NTSC. I've even seen businesses advertising this service on the internet. Jason (a fan from Australia) is willing to make PAL copies of: They Might Be Giants Video Bootleg Vol. 1 They Might Be Giants Video Bootleg Vol. 2 He will accept $AUS10 for the service, which should *just* cover the cost of a good tape and postage. He will also offer both collections on a single E-240 tape for $AUS15. (That's payment only in cold, hard, Australian currency, or money orders made out to "Jason Hutchens".) Jason Hutchens 3 Giddens Crt, North Lake, WA AUSTRALIA 6163 mailto:hutch@ciips.ee.uwa.edu.au http://ciips.ee.uwa.edu.au/~hutch/tmbg/ 11. Is this legal? I believe that it is legal use under the "fair use" provisions of copyright law. However, the law defines fair use so vaguely that courts are given broad liberty to interpret the law on a case-by-case basis. Often one court will completely overturn existing precedent, and use completely different reasoning. Primary considerations in determining fair use (from 17 U.S.C. Section 107, 1982 ed.) are: (1) the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes; (2) the nature of the copyrighted work; (3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and (4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work We have often recognized the monopoly privileges that Congress has authorized, while "intended to motivate the creative activity of authors and inventors by the provision of a special reward," are limited in nature and must ultimately serve the public good. (Fogerty v. Fantasy, Inc., 114 S. Ct. 1023, 1029 (1994) (quoting Sony, supra note 22, at 429).) The primary objective of copyright is not to reward the labor of authors, but "[t]o promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts." (United States Constitution, Article I, Paragraph 8, Clause 8) To this end, copyright assures authors the right in their original expression, but encourages others to build freely upon the ideas and information conveyed by a work. (Feist Publication, Inc. v. Rural Telephone Service Co., 499 U.S. 340, 349-50 (1991)) The copyright law attempts to strike a delicate balance between the benefit to society of easy access to ideas and the incentives to the author for his creative effort. A copyright owner has several remedies against an infringer of his work, including: an injunction to restrain the infringer from violating his rights, impoundment and destruction of all reproductions of his work made in violation of his rights, a recovery of his actual damages and any additional profits realized by the infringer or a recovery of statuatory damages an attorney's fees. Visit The Home Recording Rights Coalition (HRRC) web page for more information 11. Why did you reduce the price? Too many people were sending quarters through the mail. I also have a better idea of my actual cost, which turned out to be lower due to stocking up on tapes when they are on sale. In order to keep from making a profit. Also to encourage people to order Highgrade tapes. I think they really are worth the cost, now that I have a better idea of which tapes are worth the extra cost. P.S. Please contact me on my permanant juno email account (see my sig). -- WORK: HOME: Adaptec, Inc. Russ Josephson 1951 S. Fordham St. 1217 N. Aspen Dr. Longmont, CO 80503 Berthoud, CO 80513-1040 Phone: (303) 684-4722 (970) 532-0453 Fax: (303) 684-3020 (970) 690-1509 (cellular) mailto:russj@btc.adaptec.com mailto:russj@juno.com http://www.adaptec.com http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/7158 ------------------------------ From: garit@juno.com Date: Tue, 6 Jan 1998 07:51:27 -0800 Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Video Bootleg - Vol. 3 Message-ID: <19980106.075127.22894.0.garit@juno.com> 05/??/95 02:10 Warehouse Rec I will say this once and once only. It's "The Wherehouse" a west-coast chain, not "Warehouse Records" okay? Okay? thanks, larry ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9801061556.AA01078@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: pop music Date: Tue, 6 Jan 1998 10:56:59 -0500 (EST) > >>>Anyway.... you said >>> I'm not sure if I could like a mainstream > band.<<< > I hope you don't mean what this appears to say, which is that you avoid > mainstream music, simply because it _is_ mainstream... this exactly the > same as avoiding music because it isn't popular. Perhaps you meant that > you > coudn't like a band that had sold out, or is popular simply because of > media endorsements, not because of the quality of their music.<<< > > okay well i have a problem when people say it's wrong to like a band and > then hate them when they sell out... > the term *sell out* is used for more than just literally selling out... > it's when the band totally forgets where they're coming from and why > they're doing what they're doing and if you liked them because of what > they were doing and how they approached everything then yes i say you > have all the right in the world to hate the band after *selling out*. > it's like a this trip of major resentment of the band and i think it's > totally understandable... > > now as far as what that dude was saying " I'm not sure if I could like a > mainstream band." perhaps they're just sick of seeing other people go > smitten over bands like the spice girls and hanson... > the bands that have the "media endorsements" are the ones that have > totally forgotten why they wanted to play music in the first place... you > don't typically find a band that says "oh hey, we started the band cuz we > needed money" (the spice girls obviously DO fall in to that category but > i can't think of any other bands that did... ) Oh, I'm sure there were/are quite a few bands who got into it because of the money. You can tell with the Spice Girls since they are endorsing everything under the sun, just "riding the money". Heck, you have to wonder if a band like the Sex Pistols might have been doing the same after all, some of those guys couldn't play guitar worth shite. But they rode on the backs of the upcoming punk scene. I don't know if that is true or not but it's something you might think about. Look at all of these new dance groups, people like Gina G, or any other glam-chick-singer, surely many of them are using their good looks and some semblance of a singing voice to get lots of money. Remember also that the music biz often does not pay well, you have to be one of the select few and often work for years to make money, it's hard for a band to make a decision not to become popular, or go for something to make a lot of money. Money drives many people, but even more so money helps keep food on people's plates and to help them pay rent. The fine line between integrity and earning money can get fuzzy. You don't want to see your band play in a large arena when you can see them in a small club, but sometimes they might need to play that large venue to continue to thrive and make music. People like and hate bands for so many different reasons that you can't pin it down to any particular so-called "wrong-turn" they might have made. As a listener you just have to enjoy what you like and say "to hell" to those who try to force you to like something else. Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 06 Jan 1998 12:57:43 -0500 (EST) From: Josh Woodward Subject: Re: TMBG: help! Message-id: On Sat, 3 Jan 1998, Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > 1. I just cannot get the bass part from 'and an abolitionist' through > 'expansionist.' Here it is in tab, if it helps. ...a former president and an a boli tionist * ---------------------------------------------------- * ---------------------------------------------------- -----3--3------------------------------------------- ----------------1-1-1--------3-3---3-1-1-1---3-3---- james buchanan, a moderate * ---------------------------------------------------- * ---------------------------------------------------- ------0-----2-3--3----3----------------------------- 3-3-3-------------------1-1-1-3-3---3-3-3----------- louis cass, a general and expansioniiiiii * ---------------------------------------------------- * ---------------------------------------------------- 0--2--3-3---3----------------0-0-0------------------ --------------1-1-1---3--3-3------------------------ iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiist * ---------------------------------------------------- -0-0---0-0------------------------------------------ -----------333---2-2----2-2-000--3------------------ * ---------------------------------------------------- > 2. I have no idea what beat the piano comes in on 'expansionist.' that > thing is so amazingly syncopated it's sick! Actually, it comes right on in the 1st beat of the measure. Counting in 4/4, it's this starting in that measure: * 1 dotted quarter note (D) * 1 8th note (D) * 1 dotted quarter note (D) * 1 8th note (D) * 1 dotted quarter note (D) * 1 8th note (D) * 2 quarter notes (D) So, count as: 1 [2] AND 3 [4] AND | 1 [2] AND 3 4 Hope this helps a little! * ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Josh Woodward, Comp. Sci, BGSU joshw@mail.bgsu.edu Web Site and Tape List: http://www.dc-adnet.com/joshw/ "Everything I need to know, I learned from IRC: 1. The entire world is from Rochester and Bowling Green. 2. "licks" is spelled with asterisks and capitals. 3. Hail Murray, full of bass." - Sirilyan, #MoxyFruvous ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980106132047.006b7130@pop.indy.net> Date: Tue, 06 Jan 1998 13:20:47 -0500 From: Rachel Subject: Re: TMBG: Secret Track. At 03:13 PM 1/5/98 -0500, you wrote: >If some of you haven't figured it out yet, there's a secret track on >Factory Showroom. To access this track, simply start on S-E-X-X-Y and >"rewind" until about -1:00 appears on the cd display. Just play the >track from there on. Something about the bill collector drinking >lighter fluid... > > Vic(tor) Fitz(simons) > > > call me crazy but i beleive this track is called "token back to brooklyn." where ya been vic?! :) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 6 Jan 1998 18:38:01 +0000 (GMT) From: "D. Robertson" Subject: TMBG: The Evening Session Message-ID: One for the Brits on the list this (and I know there are some), is it just me or is there a rather eerie resemblance between John Linnel and Steve Lamaq, presenter of the Evening Session on Radio 1? Anyone ever seen them in the same room together? I think we should be told. yours, __________________________________________________________________ Sometimes Funny, Always Mispelt Flumcake On-line: http://www.york.ac.uk/~dr109/flumcake Channel F: http://www.york.ac.uk/~dr109/channelf ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 6 Jan 1998 15:37:36 -0600 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: BNL Message-ID: <19980106.153739.5006.0.bnl_bff_tmbg_fan@juno.com> From: bnl_bff_tmbg_fan@juno.com (Jessica J Woletz) On Tue, 6 Jan 1998 02:04:02 -0500 (EST) owner-tmbg-digest@ufp.org writes: >Message-Id: <199801052313.SAA27787@ee.net> >Date: Mon, 05 Jan 1998 18:09:19 -0500 >From: Evan Chakroff >Subject: Re: TMBG: BNL > >filthyscarecrow@webtv.net wrote: >> Are the BNL mainstream? I hear about them alot. I've even seen one >of >>thier videos. >> I'm not sure if I could like a mainstream band. Don't know what my >>problem is. > >I couldn't let this pass without commenting... (But first, I'll say >that >BNL aren't mainstream 'round here - Ohio, state motto: "Average and >Proud" >- they are more popular than TMBG however.) > >Anyway.... you said >>> I'm not sure if I could like a mainstream >band.<<< >I hope you don't mean what this appears to say, which is that you >avoid >mainstream music, simply because it _is_ mainstream... this exactly >the >same as avoiding music because it isn't popular. Perhaps you meant >that you >coudn't like a band that had sold out, or is popular simply because of >media endorsements, not because of the quality of their music. > >Personally, I like several bands inthe mainstream and not (BNL, BFF, >Phish, >Weezer, Everclear), but none of them because of their popularity one >way or >another. > >So, ah... I guess that's it. >-ec > >> >>Danno >> i, too, couldn't pass up the opportunity to talk about bnl, my favorite band. it's debatable whether or not they're mainstream right now, but they definitely aren't a sellout band. they first started becoming popular just by word of mouth and even now not many adults would know who you were talking about if you said "the barenaked ladies" whereas they know the spice girls or hanson or nirvana (well, most of them do). so, they are getting popularity right now for their great music, but they've been around for awhile when they weren't so well-known. it's very weird how most people still remark at my bnl shirts (thinking i'm perverted or something) even though they just sold out a concert here in cleveland with 9,000 people...but word is getting around if they could sell out at one of the largest venues in cleveland. ok this isn't really making much sense, and i think i lost my point already, but i just wanted to say that they are a great band (recording a new cd in february) so it would be smart to get one of their cds now before it seems like you're just jumping on the bandwagon. Jessie *Stand on your own head for a change* ~~~~~~~TMBG *But painting's creating, and I'm just erasing A crystal-clear canvas is my masterpiece*~~~~~BNL ~~~~~~~~~~~uin: 1634775~~~~~~~~~~~* ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 6 Jan 1998 16:24:30 -0500 (EST) From: "Eric Webber (EIN tech)" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: BNL Message-Id: On Tue, 6 Jan 1998, Jessica J Woletz wrote: > they definitely aren't a sellout band. they first started becoming > popular just by word of mouth and even now not many adults would know who > you were talking about if you said "the barenaked ladies" whereas they > know the spice girls or hanson or nirvana (well, most of them do). so, > > Jessie > Is that what defines a band as mainstream or not? Whether "adults" know who they are. I (sometimes) consider myself an adult. And I've heard of BNL. And, I also must say that I really don't know too many adults (by your definition) who know who Hanson or the Spice Girls are either. Anyway, I just thougt that was kind of a weird way to define 'mainstream.' Take it easy, Wubba --- Eric Webber 412.622.1944 page- 412.272.1854 webbere@clpgh.org wubba@tmbg.org p-wolves@mailexcite.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 6 Jan 98 16:35 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Jeopardy Take 2 >> Dylan "More evil than Mike Leffel, and less fattening." Flipse > > >You're *NOT* more evil than me, and Damn it all! I'm not >*FAT*!!! I'M FESTIVLY PLUMP!!!! "I'm not fat, it's glandular!" Kirsten -- "That's the official rock thing, to speak for a generation, and since we've completely failed to do that, we're willing to speak for ourselves." - John Flansburgh, TMBG. *kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu*Kirsten Brodbeck*AKA Crow* ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980106165346.006a72b4@130.127.28.14> Date: Tue, 06 Jan 1998 16:53:46 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: BNL I was curious and searched Dejanews for the following words: mainstream, music, definition. I found the following response: "You say the band's/artist's name to a person who listens to stuff spoonfed to him/her by mtv or the radio (not college radio) and he/she recognizes it." I wouldn't word it as harshly, but I guess that's fairly accurate. There are plenty of people whose only exposure to music is from MTV and radio stations that play the same 4 or 5 popular songs incessantly. If someone like that recognizes a band, it's somewhat safe to assume that they're mainstream. TMBG is an exception because there are tons of people who fall into that category and know them from Tiny Toons. I'm 19, which is pretty close to adulthood, and I can honestly say that if not for people here and some Weird Al fans I know, I probably wouldn't have ever heard of Barenaked Ladies...at least not up to this point. When you say 'adult', you're getting into some pretty unusual territory. My grandparents are adults by anyone's standards, and they don't know who Hanson or the Spice Girls are. My parents, my aunts, and my uncles know who they are, and they're in their 30s and 40s. TTYL, -Adam At 04:24 PM 1/6/98 -0500, you wrote: > >Is that what defines a band as mainstream or not? Whether "adults" know >who they are. I (sometimes) consider myself an adult. And I've heard of >BNL. And, I also must say that I really don't know too many adults (by >your definition) who know who Hanson or the Spice Girls are either. >Anyway, I just thougt that was kind of a weird way to define 'mainstream.' >Take it easy, > Wubba /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980107011600.0067a38c@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Tue, 06 Jan 1998 19:16:00 -0600 From: "The Lil' Depressed Boy" Subject: TMBG: The Man... Clipart. Does anyone know where I can find clipart similiar to "THE MAN" or in the convention part of Wizard Magazine? Also does anyone know where I can find some 1950's clipart? L D B -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 6 Jan 1998 18:00:54 -0800 (PST) From: FRoG Subject: TMBG: TMBG : Digital Bootleg traders? Message-ID: Are there any bootleg traders on the list who have DAT recordings of TMBG material? If so, please leave me email (frog@scvnet.com). I currently have one DAT TMBG concert, which can be put on CD, and am willing to trade for other digital TMBG material. If interested, please check out http://desperado.scvnet.com/~demented/bootlist/ Thanks! ------------------------------ From: PROFITEERS Message-ID: Date: Tue, 6 Jan 1998 22:58:34 EST Subject: TMBG: NEW GERMAN boots!!! Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) Got ahold of some GREAT German and Europe live shows, these are from a taper who has NEVER circulated his material before!! These shows cover 89, 90, 92, and 94, they are all really great and I'm setting up a lot fo new trades, send me your list and lets set something up. Todd ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-371 ******************************