Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-372 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 372 Thursday, 8 January 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: pop music | skiing Re: TMBG: pop music | skiing Re: TMBG: pop music Re: TMBG: The Man... Clipart. TMBG: Token back to brooklyn Re: TMBG: Token back to brooklyn TMBG: Brand new Candy Butchers and BNL on Download-a-Song Re: NON-TMBG: BNL Re: TMBG: The Troubadour Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 07:13:29 -0700 Subject: TMBG: pop music | skiing Message-ID: <19980107.071340.11046.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (JOda: Master of Yedi) >not even a week into the new year, 2 celebs die skiing into trees.... the >millenium, man. it's so crazy now... all the ski resorts here in Colorado have started throwing up *SLOW* signs everywhere... it does absolutely no good... expecially when my evil friends just wait for it to snow and then build up the new snow around the sings and there you have it... a perfect jump :) >Oh, I'm sure there were/are quite a few bands who got into it because of >the money. You can tell with the Spice Girls since they are endorsing >everything under the sun, just "riding the money". COME ON PEOPLE... YOU SHOULD KNOW THIS! uhm, no what i meant is that since some guy (sorry i'm not a SG freek and don't know his name) decided he wanted a band and thus, went out auditioned people and what we see today is who he hired. they get paid a salary, they work for him... he makes them endors everything because it means more money for him... i'm convinced it's not their fault (maybe i'm just too nice) :) > Heck, you have to >wonder if a band like the Sex Pistols might have been doing the same >after all, some of those guys couldn't play guitar worth shite. But >they rode on the backs of the upcoming punk scene. I don't know if that >is true or not but it's something you might think about. i think you'd be better off using alice cooper or marilyn manson as an example here... NO! i'm not saying they don't have any talent (cuz well... nevermind... i won't get into that here) it's just they totally do all this stuff just to be eccentric and the more whacked they appear the more appealing they become to people. *People are intrigued by what they don't understand* take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ***Now, with...: punctuation - (for easy); reading!*** ------------------------------ From: "Mr. Me" Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 09:48:45 CST Subject: Re: TMBG: pop music | skiing Message-ID: <8D6A0B2287@athena.valpo.edu> re: skiing. downhill skiing and slow do not mix. if you want to ski, either go fast or do jumps or both. (i only go fast. my skis are way too long to do any sort of fancy jumps). slow is for the bunny hill. re: pop music. i seem to remember a few years ago another person who hired five young men to sing for him. they were called new kids on the block. now how long can this spice girls thing go before everybody catches on that they're just a 90s nkotb? btw, i saw a brief tape of some elementary school girls doing a spice girl impression, all dressed up like them and stuff. it is burned into my brain as one of the most frightening experiences i have ever had. in some actual tmbg news, i have converted my friend to a tmbg fan. he has been saved from the damnation of rap music and is now listening to they, and punk and ska. and the best news of all--he's not a floodie! over break i lent him a18, and he bought that album, flood, and of all tmbg albums, john henry and he's looking for factory showroom. jer [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] "Cartmen, you couldn't tell the difference between a rain forest and a pop tart!! "Yeah I can, a pop tart's frosted." --Comedy central's "South Park" [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] Experience the many media of Jeremy Skrenes! Email: jskrenes@athena.valpo.edu Snail: Web: http://www.valpo.edu/home/student/jskrenes 141 Wehrenberg Airwaves: Sunday nights, 12-2am 95.1, WVUR Valparaiso, IN 46383 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980107131112.006b560c@pop.indy.net> Date: Wed, 07 Jan 1998 13:11:12 -0500 From: Rachel Subject: Re: TMBG: pop music >COME ON PEOPLE... YOU SHOULD KNOW THIS! >uhm, no what i meant is that since some guy (sorry i'm not a SG freek and >don't know his name) decided he wanted a band and thus, went out >auditioned people and what we see today is who he hired. they get paid a >salary, they work for him... he makes them endors everything because it >means more money for him... i'm convinced it's not their fault (maybe i'm >just too nice) :) > yes it is their fault! they're old enough to realize what they're doing is wrong. don't they even feel the slightest bit inadequate because of the fact that they don't write their own songs? or that they can't sing? because of this i have come to the conclusion that the spice girls are robots and, i think we can all aggree, they are a passing fad and will come to their doom in due time. have paitence my friends. :) -rachel ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 12:32:22 -0600 (CST) From: "Christopher M. Stangl" Subject: Re: TMBG: The Man... Clipart. Message-ID: On Tue, 6 Jan 1998, The Lil' Depressed Boy wrote: > Does anyone know where I can find clipart similiar to "THE MAN" or in the > convention part of Wizard Magazine? Also does anyone know where I can find > some 1950's clipart? > > L > D > B There are a couple of collections of pretty good clip art in the '40's and '50's style, titled "MOSTLY HAPPY". Try your library. -Chris Stangl ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34B3BF8C.F2C5F73A@mix-net.net> Date: Wed, 07 Jan 1998 13:46:53 -0400 From: Campbell Subject: TMBG: Token back to brooklyn That secert track on Factory Showroom is sooooooooooooooo cool! Are there any more secert tracks anyone knows of on other CD's? The lyrics on this song are differnt than the D-A-S versoin. COOL Chris -Feeny- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980107191239.00687cfc@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Wed, 07 Jan 1998 13:12:39 -0600 From: "The Lil' Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: Token back to brooklyn I found it when a friend told me about the secret track on the X-Files album, which has two songs. I think you go back about 5 min. L D B At 01:46 PM 1/7/98 -0400, Campbell wrote: >That secert track on Factory Showroom is sooooooooooooooo cool! >Are there any more secert tracks anyone knows of on other CD's? >The lyrics on this song are differnt than the D-A-S versoin. > >COOL > >Chris -Feeny- > > > -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font ------------------------------ From: Garit RN Message-ID: <63f379ec.34b3ee1c@aol.com> Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 16:05:30 EST Subject: TMBG: Brand new Candy Butchers and BNL on Download-a-Song Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) Come visit the brand new and improved Download-a-Song page. This week's Download-a-Song is BNL's brand new song "It's All Been Done" performed at the Palace in Detroit on New Year's Eve. A bonus DaS is Candy Butchers' song "What I Won't Give" from their unreleased album. Download-a-Song is located at: http://members.aol.com/GaritRN Thanks! Larry ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 07 Jan 1998 16:25:29 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: BNL Eric Webber (EIN tech) wrote: >Is that what defines a band as mainstream or not? Whether "adults" know >who they are. I (sometimes) consider myself an adult. And I've heard of >BNL. And, I also must say that I really don't know too many adults (by >your definition) who know who Hanson or the Spice Girls are either. >Anyway, I just thougt that was kind of a weird way to define 'mainstream.' >Take it easy, > Wubba I'd define mainstream as something that is embraced by the media, whether they "sold out" or if they just became popular (as is the case I'm seeing with Ben Folds Five) Of course, then you have isolated communities, such as this list, in whiich the "mainstream" may be something totally different. The percentage of people on the list who have heard of BNL is a lot higher than that of the general population. (Same probably with BFF... uh... Fountains of Wayne, too, maybe...) So, that was pretty worthless, I know... -ec ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 19:41:18 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: The Troubadour Message-ID: On Thu, 1 Jan 1998, Monotreme3 wrote: hi, everybody! i'm back again and sifting through the myriad messages left to me while i was on christmas break... > Now we know what THE Troubadour is. But what is A troubadour, you ask? > > troubadour - n. one of a class of lyric poets and poet-musicians often of > knightly rank who flourished from the 11th to the end of the 13th century > chiefly in the south of France and the north of Italy and whose major theme > was courtly love don't forget the other, closely-related class of lyric poets and poet-musicians called 'trouveres'. i think the difference is that the trouveres were in the north of france, or something like that. -jim kuemmerle, ever the provider of extra useless information. j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ *** the 1/98 ANNIVERSARY edition of *** *** electric jimandellenland is soon to come!! *** ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-372 ******************************